A Court of Wings and Fate

Af LeeraIvy

Some say that everyone's fate is already determined. If that's the case, Estelle Marzena is greatly disappoin... Mere

Author's Note & Maps
1. Ambitious Goals
2. Inciting Fights
3. Advice and Congratulations
4. Familiarity
5. Friends and Family
6. Displeasing First Impressions
8. Growing Trepidation
9. Uneasy Beginnings
10. Unforseen Infuriants
11. Holding Grudges
12. Defense
13. Breaking The Ice
14. Forcing Circumstances
15. History and Healing
16. A Mother's Woes
17. Leathery Distractions
18. Advice for Rites
19. The Shadow's Angel
20. Sentimental Plans
21. A Family of Artists
22. Listing
23. A Deal is a Deal
24. Goldenhearted Teasing
25. Admitting Concerns
26. Flocks and Swarms
27. Shadowy Touches
28. Unspoken Words
29. A Shadowsinger Sings
30. Longing Moments
31. Gasping for Breath
32. Heartfelt Tensions
33. Fears of the Heart
34. Troubles Present and Future
35. Apologetic Consideration
36. Snowfilled Days
37. Unwanted Gestures
38. Locked Up Past
39. An Angel's Worship
40. Siphoning the Truth
41. A Gift From the Heart
42. Private Agendas
43. Tearful Completion
44. Spread the News
45. Ghostly Assailants
46. Gory Futility
47. Strained Relationships
48. Revival and Truth
49. The Prince's Proclamation
50. Cruel Interruptions
51. Facing Ridicule
52. Surfacing Doubts
53. Teamwork
54. Crushing Debris
55. Fountain of Dawn
56. Facing the Consequences
57. Vendetta
58. Deciding Claims
59. Unexpected Surprises
60. Emergence of the Unnatural
61. Pointless Deaths
62. Bloodshed
63. Lost and Found
64. A Promise of Power
65. Over the Edge
66. The Final Steps
67. Homecoming
68. United At Last
69. Path Paved by Stars
Thank You
A Court of Ash and Necromancy
Beyond the Books

7. Falsified Rebuttal

933 47 18
Af LeeraIvy

His humor had fully given way to a sour mood. This is the first time we've actually spoken to each other, and that's what she says? Mikael griped to himself.

He hated the look of disapproval she'd worn as well. He'd seen her shoot a similar glance at his father's back. Mikael somewhat deserved her rebuke and disgust. It was his own fault, after all. But he wouldn't stand there and let her judge his father for the choices he had made.

The clouds dispersed and the Peregryn training grounds appeared in a mountain valley below them. The sounds of clashing steel rose to greet them. Mikael winced as they drew closer. The sound was abnormally loud in his pointed ears.

He landed and Estelle and Nyx reached the ground a moment later. Mikael swept his gaze over the training grounds. There was no sign of Calden, Celeste, or Sienna. He hoped they'd made it out of his room before his fathers went to investigate.

"So this is where the Peregryn Legion trains," Nyx remarked, appearing beside him. "Is the entire legion in this one camp?"

"Yes. This is where our warriors live. Males and females live separately unless they're married and have a family. Then, they're allowed to share a home."

"Have you ever lived here? I had to live in Windhaven for several months when I first began my training. Estelle too." Nyx jerked his head back towards his cousin. Estelle was studying the layout of the training grounds with a critical eye.

"I've never had to stay here," Mikael replied. "I train here about four hours a day and spend the rest of my time in the villages or back at the Palace. I have friends who live here, though."

"How do you spend your time in the Palace? I'd die of boredom if I stayed at my home any longer than I already do," Nyx chuckled.

Mikael felt a small lull in his dark mood. His headache was lessening thanks to the fresh air. Nyx's friendliness was helping as well. "I like to read. I'm a scholar."

"Have you learned any interesting spells from your readings?"

Mikael shook his head. "None that I'm allowed to practice."

Nyx gave him a small smile. "I can't practice my magic much either, but for different reasons I suppose. My cousins and I all possess Illyrian magic, which is wildly unpredictable. Without siphons to control it, it's dangerous to use. Really the only thing I can do safely is winnow."

"Why don't you have siphons then?" Mikael asked.

He'd read about the unique gems that Illyrian warriors bore. Oftentimes, he'd wondered if they would channel his own magic. Apparently, siphons were just as fickle as Illyrian magic itself. If the siphons couldn't properly conduct a person's magic, they broke. Rhysand, Nyx's father, was among those who couldn't wield siphons. He shuddered to think what devastating power the High Lord would have if he could.

"We won't receive siphons until we become full warriors, or it's deemed necessary," Nyx explained.

"Do you think they'll work with your magic?"

Nyx nodded. "I'm three-quarters Illyrian. My magic will bear more likeness to theirs than to that of a High Fae."

"What about her?" He jerked his head towards Estelle. She was either ignoring him at this point, or was actually invested in learning the layout of the grounds.

"She's half Illyrian, half High Fae, but her magic is just as unpredictable as any Illyrian's. Siphons will work for her too, we've been told." Nyx followed his gaze towards Estelle. "I'm sorry about her behavior. She isn't usually so rude."

Mikael inclined his head, but didn't answer. She doesn't usually act this way? He wondered. Then why is she now? Is it something about me?

Estelle caught his gaze and held it briefly, before looking away once more. Her shadows wound around the horns on her wings. It almost seemed like they were watching him. Estelle swatted at a shadow that had drifted towards her ear.

Shadowsingers can talk to shadows, Mikael remembered. What are hers saying?

"Do you mind if I go watch this session?" Nyx asked, gesturing to a marked ring close by, where two Peregryns were preparing to duel.

"Go ahead."

Nyx grinned and flew off. The onlookers parted to make room for him. Mikael rolled his eyes, seeing the way several of the females began to blush when Nyx smiled at them. He glanced at Estelle from the corner of his eye.

"Your cousin says you aren't always so unpleasant," Mikael said.

"I'm not."

"Then why do you feel the need to be this way now?"

"Maybe because we came here to meet with Thesan and his heir, not some hungover boy," Estelle sniped.

"Well, I wish I could say that I'm sorry to disappoint."

"You should be."

"I'm not."

She flashed him a haughty look. "Think of the reputation you're setting for yourself...and for your father. I could tell everyone in the Night Court that Thesan raised an incompetent drunkard of a son. That would reflect poorly on both of you."

"Don't you dare breathe a bad word against my father," Mikael growled, ruffling the feathers on his wings.

"I'd be speaking the truth."

"You'd be speaking a lie."

"Really?" She raised an eyebrow. "The evidence stands before me. You were struggling not to throw your guts up as we flew here."

"I'm struggling not to tear your guts out!"

"Ooh, threatening a visitor. That only worsens your reputation."

"What is your problem? Are you always this quick to judge someone? This is the first time we've even spoken to one another."

"I don't judge. I observe. I've observed that you have no regard for personal respect, or accrediting your father and earning your place as his heir."

"Your observation is wrong!" Mikael retorted.

Who did this snotty little female think she was? Anger churned in his stomach, accompanied by some guilt. He hated to admit it, but her words had some merit. Suppose this meeting had been of great importance and several High Lords were in attendance? How would that look for him and his father?

That doesn't matter. Mikael shoved the thoughts aside. She has no right to speak to me like this.

Estelle was glaring at him through molten amber eyes. "Is it?" She cocked her head. "Or are you just upset that someone saw through your charming facade?"

"I'm no pretender," Mikael snarled. "And just who do you think you are?"

"Someone who doesn't care who you are."

"You have no right to come here and speak to me like this."

"Perhaps if you weren't a half drunk fool, I'd speak to you with a little more respect!" Estelle took a step towards him. "Want some advice, Feathers? Respect yourself and others will respect you." Her gaze traveled over him and it was all Mikael could do to stand still. "But I don't see much worth respecting right now."

"Then don't respect me, but you will respect my father."

"Thesan has always had my respect."

"Then why would you..."

"Because someone obviously has to remind you how easily respect can be lost!"

"If I had any respect for you, even an ounce of it, it's gone now," Mikael spat.

"Good. I don't want your respect anyway."

Mikael scoffed at that. "I thought Illyrian females would be leaping at the chance to be respected by any male."

Estelle stiffened, pressing her lips into a thin line. "And why is that?"

"Everyone knows how your kind are treated. I'm surprised you're even allowed to train. I was told the only thing Illyrian females were good for is breeding."

"Why you..." She gritted her teeth, clenching her fists.

"I bet you were wishing I respected you now, huh, Batsy?"

Shadows coiled atop her shoulders, raising themselves like snakes prepared to strike. Estelle started towards him. Mikael rolled his head, popping his neck. Just before she reached him, Nyx dove in between them. He grabbed Estelle by the shoulders and shoved her back.

"What the hell are you doing?" Mikael heard him hiss. Estelle didn't answer. She was too busy glaring at Mikael. Nyx glanced over his shoulder. "We'll be going now. Again, I'm sorry about my cousin's behavior."

"Next time you visit, leave her at home," Mikael snarled.

"Try to be sober next time we come!" Estelle hollered in return as Nyx practically dragged her into the air.

Mikael stared as shadows wrapped around the two of them. When they faded, the Illyrians were gone. He started towards the training rings, determined to hit something.

◦═══✦═══◦

Estelle didn't stick around at the River Estate, even though Nyx ordered her to wait. She flew to a warded clearing near the base of the mountains. Magic burned through her veins. She had to release it or she'd destroy something and get herself into even more trouble.

Estelle landed in the clearing, dust and ashes scattering beneath her feet. This clearing was a chaotic mess of burnt ground and green foliage. It had been destroyed enough times that it was a miracle anything bothered to grow.

She flared her arms out wide and golden magic swirled around her fingertips. With a roar, Estelle began hurtling it left and right. Some trees caught on fire. A few boulders splintered into pebbles. Golden light sliced through the ground, leaving broad cracks behind.

The shadows hummed angrily in her ears. Their admiration towards Mikael had seemingly disappeared. Arrogant prick, they hissed. Foolish bastard.

Estelle flung another blast of magic over her head and let it crash into a large boulder. The boulder split down the middle before crumbling into dust. She panted, wiping sweat from her forehead. The pressure within her chest eased.

A flash of light behind her caught her attention. She looked back as her mother approached. "Rhys isn't happy," Seren said. "What happened?"

"Thesan's son was hungover."

"Why would that make you this upset?"

Estelle scrubbed at her face. "That's not why I'm upset. It was insulting to be pawned off on someone who couldn't even fly straight!"

"Nyx said that as soon as he left, you two began arguing. Who started that?"

"I did," she admitted after a moment.

Seren drew closer and squared off. She nodded and Estelle began to trade blows with her. "Walk me through it," Seren prompted. "Let's sort this out before Rhys takes matters into his own hands." Estelle sighed and recounted the events of their argument to her mother. Seren said nothing until she'd finished. "It sounds to me like you were both in the wrong."

"I suppose so." Estelle lowered her fists and sat down, letting her wings fall slack. "But what he said about Illyrian females..."

"He was just trying to rile you." Seren sat down and began rubbing soothing circles against her back. "Odds are, he didn't mean what he said."

"And if he did?"

"Then his opinion is worth nothing."

Estelle rubbed her forehead wearily. "Is Rhys really mad at me?"

"He didn't say he was mad, but he certainly isn't happy."

"He'll be mad if Mikael tells Thesan and something bad comes of it."

"You're right. He will be."

"So what do I do?"

"Talk to Rhys and come up with a way to fix things before that happens."

Estelle sighed and nodded. "Fine. I'll try."

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

55.8K 1.2K 64
[SPINOFF/SEQUEL TO CURSEBREAKER AND FIREHEART] As the heir to the crown of Terrasen, Estelle Whitethorn Galathynius has always felt more responsibili...
137K 6.5K 55
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book three in the Starlight se...
46.9K 1.8K 27
"It was perfect. Everything we'd dreamed it would be. The only thing that wasn't perfect...is me." After the events of Shadowsinger, Solstice is comi...
24.7K 1.4K 53
One year ago, Prythian suffered an attack at the hands of the necromancer, Melantha. She was ultimately defeated, but the marks of her terrible influ...