Keeper of the Lost Cities: Re...

By TheEssayElf

Sophie Foster is torn. Between two lives. Two sides. Two selves. Marella Redek is afraid. Afraid of the fear... More

Writing Process
Author's Note
Chapter One - SOPHIE
Chapter Two - FITZ
Chapter Three - MARELLA
Chapter Four - LINH
Chapter Five - MARUCA
Chapter Six - KEEFE
Chapter Seven - JENSI
Chapter Eight - DEX
Chapter Nine - WYLIE
Chapter Ten - TAM
Chapter Eleven - BIANA
Chapter Twelve - STINA
Chapter Thirteen - SOPHIE
Chapter Fourteen - LINH
Chapter Fifteen - MARELLA
Chapter Sixteen - KEEFE
Chapter Seventeen - MARUCA
Chapter Eighteen - DEX
Chapter Nineteen - WYLIE
Chapter Twenty - JENSI
Chapter Twenty-One - TAM
Chapter Twenty-Two - FITZ
Chapter Twenty-Three - BIANA
Chapter Twenty-Four - LINH
Chapter Twenty-Five - SOPHIE
Chapter Twenty-Six - STINA
Chapter Twenty-Seven - DEX
Chapter Twenty-Eight - MARELLA
Chapter Twenty-Nine - KEEFE
Chapter Thirty - MARUCA
Chapter Thirty-One - WYLIE
Chapter Thirty-Two - JENSI
Chapter Thirty-Three - TAM
Chapter Thirty-Five - FITZ
Chapter Thirty-Six - LINH
Chapter Thirty-Seven - MARELLA
Chapter Thirty-Eight - DEX
Chapter Thirty-Nine - WYLIE
Chapter Forty - KEEFE
Chapter Forty-One - JENSI
Chapter Forty-Two - MARUCA
Chapter Forty-Three - SOPHIE
Chapter Forty-Four - STINA
Chapter Forty-Five - BIANA
Chapter Forty-Six - JENSI
Chapter Forty-Seven - FITZ
Chapter Forty-Eight - TAM
Chapter Forty-Nine - LINH
Chapter Fifty - MARUCA
Chapter Fifty-One - KEEFE
Chapter Fifty-Two - WYLIE
Chapter Fifty-Three - MARELLA
Chapter Fifty-Four - STINA
Chapter Fifty-Five - SOPHIE
Author's Note

Chapter Thirty-Four - BIANA

164 5 19
By TheEssayElf

"So what exactly do we know about the Purities?"

Biana looked around Everglen's living room at the faces of each of her friends. They were exhausted, but she'd had to call a meeting. It had only been a day since the last one, but to be honest, she was desperate for answers.

"They're called 'the Purities,'" Keefe piped up.

Biana frowned at him. "Very funny. But I'm serious."

"So was I. You just didn't let me finish. I was going to say, they're called 'the Purities' because they want the elvin species to be pure. This means no human-elvin babies."

"Uh... thanks, Keefe. They also don't like Pyrokinetics, since they mess up the bloodline apparently." She scratched this down on a sheaf of paper. "Okay, they want purity. What else?"

"Don't forget the obvious," Amy said. "They killed a guy? Remember that?"

"We technically don't know that they did that, but I'll add it as a possibility." Secretly she scribbled down a few more bullet points about what Navik had been doing before he died. At this point not telling her friends about everything, like Alina had specifically told her to do, wasn't possible—but at least she could hold a few things back.

"They have a Technopath working for them, one who's capable of mass-producing addlers and mufflers. This Technopath and murderer could be the same person." The voice came from Dex, and Biana momentarily froze before forcing her fingers to start working again. Don't think about it don't think about it don't think about it.

"Mufflers?" repeated Amy. "Like those things you put on your ears so they don't get cold?"

"Let's not get off-topic," Biana said at the same time that Dex said, "Tinker and I call the gadgets the Purities use to mask their sound 'mufflers.'" Both paused, and the room was filled with awkward silence.

Keefe cleared his throat. "They found out about the Black Swan's mission—a mission only the Black Swan, Council, and a select few were supposed to know about."

"Right." Biana hated how hot her face felt. It was suddenly hard to breathe.

"The Purities haven't gotten violent, except for the murder, if we're counting that," Jensi said. "Oh, and they use wooden signs made of Pures bark."

"Mysterium is often targeted by Purity supporters," Dex added. "It's not really talked about—I think the Council's trying to cover it up—but since Mysterium is where the 'nobodies' live and work, there have been a lot of things going on. Scuffles in the streets, vandalism, small things like that, but if the Purities continue to gain support, it could get worse."

"I don't think the Council would cover up something like that without good reason," Biana murmured, scribbling down the information.

Dex snorted. "Of course you'd say that."

She stopped writing. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Okay, guys," Keefe interrupted, holding up his hands. "Is there anything else we know?"

No one said anything.

He flinched. "Oooookay then. So which of those things is the best lead?"

Biana looked over the sloppily-written list. "Have you guys found any plausible leads for who the Technopath could be?" she asked Jensi and Amy.

"We tried Lady Iskra, but Jensi seems certain it's not her," Amy said. "We can still try investigating though."

"Dex and I went to Thapelo Chebota too, but we don't think he's the one either," said Jensi.

Biana tried to not let the thought of Dex going without her sting. They weren't together anymore—she had to accept that. She had to be strong.

She met Dex's eyes, and she didn't flinch like she'd imagined she would. "Any leads on the gadgets?"

His face hardened, whether out of frustration or resentment toward her, she didn't know. "No."

Be strong. "I guess that leaves Navik Hishia," she said with a sigh, then flourished her pen at Keefe. "You mind telling them what we found?"

The others perked, and Keefe ran a hand through his hair, a habit he always did when he knew he was about to disappoint someone. "It wasn't much; just a lot of human stuff. He had shelves of human trinkets, a library of human books, and he even had an air conditioning unit in his room."

"So... what does that mean?" Amy asked. "That he was human?"

"Definitely not," said Jensi. "The elves are just now seeing humans as something better than a nuisance; I don't think the Council would have allowed one to live in the Lost Cities. Even if they did, why make such a fuss about the whole process now? They're starting to come clean with all of their mistakes, and they've made it clear banishing the humans was one of them. If Navik was a human, they would have pointed to him to minimize the impact of that mistake."

"What if he was a human spying on the elves?" Amy pushed. "Maybe he found something out about the Purities that they didn't want being known."

"Jensi's right," Biana said. "I'm pretty sure Navik wasn't a human. But maybe Navik did find something important." You mean he's definitely found something important, she thought. He'd found the location of the Purities' meetings. But if felt like Alina had witheld something; maybe there was more to Navik's murder than just that.

"Something the Council hasn't told us yet?" Keefe asked, echoing her thoughts. "I mean, I know they're not, like, the ideal role models—of course that would be me—but I guess I started trusting them. They're willing to change this much, with the Human Reinstatement Program."

Biana nodded along, more to distract herself from Dex's sharp periwinkle gaze than anything. "I know, I know. I want to keep faith in the Councillors too, but Alina got a weird look on her face when I told her about Navik—and I know that could be because an elf got murdered, but I can't help feeling it's something else."

Dex laughed like she had said something extremely funny. "Wow—you're actually saying you doubt your pretty little Councillors. Never thought I'd see the day."

Amy leaned forward so she could fixate a glare onto Dex. "Are you done?"

"Stop, it's fine," Biana said, waving her off. She took a moment to prepare before facing Dex again. "Seriously, though—if you have a problem, you can leave."

"Maybe I will."

"Good."

"Good."

"Okay."

"Fine!" He made to stand, but Keefe grabbed his shoulders, pinning him to the couch.

"Okay, you two need to listen to me. Biana, we need Dex, okay? That means no kicking him out of the meeting. And Dex, Biana is our leader right now, so you need to listen to her without making any stupid comments. Got it?"

"You know you're not addressing the real problem," Amy muttered. Jensi kicked her not-so-subtly.

Biana's face heated. It had been stupid, but she'd thought, for an oblivious few moments, that she could keep her issues secret from the group. They didn't need the distraction, and seriously, it was fine. She was okay. Hurt, a little, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

"Back to Navik," Amy said, "that still doesn't give us much to go on. He might be special? Maybe Alina knows something we don't?"

"I'll contact Alina after the meeting," Biana said. "But you're right; we need something else to go on, in case that falls flat."

"The Technopath is our next best lead," said Keefe. "Dex still works on the gadgets to see if he can figure something out while the rest of us go Technopath-searching."

"But how?" Jensi piped up. His fists were clenching the fabric of his cloak, probably his own nervous habit. "There're just too many to investigate, and with no way to pin the target down, it'll be nearly impossible."

"Cue us," a girl's voice—not Amy's—said. Biana's heart swooped into her stomach as two children stepped into the room. They were no more than fourteen years old, though the one who had spoken carried her short frame with a haughtiness that only got worse with age. She looked almost wild, her curly brown hair frizzing like a lion's mane. Next to her was her taller friend with skin the color of caramel and chocolate-brown hair that almost reached the ground. She was wearing a sleeveless teal dress, a symbol of support for the Vackers—for Biana. When she saw the Vacker daughter, her cheeks pinkened, and she gave a shy wave.

"Who are you?" she asked at the same time Jensi groaned a name: "Jeri?"

Amy raised an unsurprised eyebrow, and Biana got the feeling she was missing something. Dex seemed just as confused, which, under any other circumstances, would have made her feel better. But now...

Be strong.

"Jeri Venet, Level Two. Pru Hafta, Level Three," Keefe recited. "Is there a particular reason you're at Everglen, eavesdropping on the adults' conversation?"

Jeri snorted so vehemently she started coughing. Everyone waited while Pru thumped on her back. "Adults!" she cried when she had recovered. "HA! And I'm a bloodthirsty gorgodon!"

"I wouldn't be shocked," Jensi muttered.

"Adults don't spend hours hiding outside Lady Sophie's classroom, just to end up scaring her unsuspecting student rather than her," Jeri accused.

"It was a joke!" Keefe defended. He laughed suddenly. "Though that poor kid was pretty unsuspecting."

"You're awful," Biana gasped, and a twitch at the edge of Pru's lips indicated she had been thinking the same thing.

Jensi shook his head as if trying to clear his confusion. "More to the point, what are you doing here?"

"The Purities are getting bolder, you're trying to find the Technopath/leak/potential murderer that works for them, and you need a lead," Jeri said, proving she knew way more than Biana thought. "Yeah, yeah, we've been listening to the whole conversation—but don't worry! We're not the bad guys here! Actually, we want to help."

"How did you know we were meeting here?" Jensi demanded.

"I overheard you and Lady Amy talking about it."

"'Overheard,' huh?"

"That's not the point. The point is..." She flourished a hand at Pru. Biana almost expected the elder girl to twirl around, or smile, or... do something. But she just stood there, shifting from foot to foot.

"The point is Pru," Amy clarified.

"The point will be Pru," Jeri corrected, "once we make a deal."

Jensi, Keefe, and Amy simultaneously groaned.

Jeri lifted a finger to silence them, and, oddly, it worked. "Once I disclose this incredibly important, helpful-to-your-mission information that will solve a dire situation that will save the universe and redeem the elves from their woeful sins—"

"Just get on with it, Jeri," Jensi moaned.

"Fine. The get-on-with-it I'm trying to get at is that we won't tell you why Pru is the point to your situation unless you let us help. And if you don't, we will lock you in a cage with a fire-breathing gorgodon, and if you say you will but you don't, we will lock you in a cage with a fire-breathing gorgodon and make sure said fire-breathing gorgodon is awake."

Dex's brows scrunched together. "Um—"

"We'll let you help," Jensi interrupted, then flushed when everyone stared at him.

Jeri's face lit up with a smile that stretched from cheek to cheek. It looked so out-of-place next to her words that Biana's brain had trouble computing what was happening.

"I mean," Jensi scrambled, "we'll let you help if it's okay with Biana—"

"It's okay," she said. Jeri, she couldn't quite figure out, but Pru had a look about her that promised something—and maybe it was her support of the Vackers, maybe not, but either way, Biana appreciated her for being brave enough to wear that dress.

Jeri gave a deep exhale. She looked shocked, like she hadn't expected that response. "Oh. Okay. I mean, YES. Obviously. And, erm..." Suddenly, a third girl popped into existence beside Pru. Her long black- and purple-streaked hair was pulled back into a braid, and her dark eyes were sharp and dagger-like. Jeri smiled sheepishly. "She was the backup, in case you said you wouldn't let us help."

"Stormy," the girl said before anyone could ask.

Keefe or Jensi didn't seem to recognize her, which must have meant she either wasn't in their classes or didn't attend Foxfire.

"What's the helpful information you seem so... passionate about giving us?" Amy asked.

Pru took a deep breath and stepped forward. "My name is Pru Hafta, daughter of Vittorio and Neila Hafta. I know you've probably heard of them, and if not, you've probably been affected by their actions. They're Purity supporters—I don't think they're a part of the organization, but they help spread their message to elves all over the Lost Cities. My mom... also is the head of a committee trying to reform Foxfire into an elite school."

Keefe's jaw tightened at that. "Wait, that Neila? Doesn't she think Exillium should be for everyone but the best of the best?"

Pru looked away. "Yeah, she does. And I used to think that way too, but that was before I met Stormy. She's a Wayward, but she's got nothing wrong with her—none of them do. A lot of them are orphans, but that doesn't mean they're useless or slow or... or anything.

"But the point is she's the let's-have-a-ball type... and there's a gala tonight. She invited all of her friends. There's supposed to be a sort of meeting or something..."

"And you're assuming it's about the Purities," Biana finished. "That Purity members will be there."

Dex straightened, and his eyes alighted in that way they used to when he looked at her. She'd been addicted to that look, his love, but... had it ever been love? If he was leaving her now, what did that mean for everything they had been through?

"Like their Technopath," he said, but Biana's ears were roaring, and she wasn't listening.

It hurt to be strong without him.

"We have to go to that gala," Keefe said, standing, sitting, standing again. He wouldn't stop moving, as if he wanted to go to the Haftas' right then.

"I'll go too," said Stormy, blinking in and out of sight. "I'm a Vanisher; I can be the backup."

"Biana should go," Pru added. "And I can—I'll help you hold your vanish for longer."

Dex cocked his head. "What does that mean?"

"I'm an Enhancer," she said.

Dex's eyes widened. "An Enhancer? Wait—you shouldn't go to the gala. I've been trying to figure out how the Purities mass-produce their gadgets. I was waiting for Sophie to come back, but you can help instead."

"That's fine with me, but..." She gave Stormy a worried glance.

"I know my way around your house," Stormy said. "I went there with Coach Linh a few days back."

Biana rubbed her head, trying to piece the timeline together. "Wait, Linh took you there?"

"Yeah, and I stole some Purity maps. She took them before I could figure out what it said, but it was a map of the Neutral Territories."

None of that cleared anything up, so Biana let it go. She'd let Linh deal with that, and if they still came back from the gala empty-handed, maybe they could coordinate clues.

"What about me?" Jeri asked. "Do I go to the gala?"

Pru flinched. "I don't know if my parents would like you there. I mean, it would look suspicious, since they know we're friends and I'm not there... Maybe I can say we're having a sleepover. But that would mean you can't go."

Jeri rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right, we all know your parents won't want me there because I'm a Venet, child of a Talentless couple, destined to be Talentless myself."

The room dissolved into awkward silence.

"I'll go to the gala," Keefe eventually said. "I'm the Magnate; I'll find a way to be invited. Or, even better, I'll just show up." He grinned, but it seemed forced.

"You can do research with Amy and I," Jensi told Jeri. "We'll go to some libraries and see if we can figure out anything we've missed."

"Research?" Jeri whined. "But I thought you didn't want to be fed to the gorgodon."

"We're also going to have a chat about your vulgar threats."

She let out a long groan.

"You said you wanted to help?"

"Fine!" she huffed. "I'll sacrifice my happiness so my friends don't have to take my place in the vile torture dungeon filled with wooden racks of death-inducing boringness."

"You'll get used to it," Keefe assured her, giving her a high-five. He then leaned down and stage-whispered, "I'll teach you how to pretend-read later."

"Okay, we know what we're doing," Biana said, reigning everyone in. "Now let's disperse. Stormy and Keefe can stay here until the gala starts. Stormy, will your parents be okay with that?"

The girl shrugged in her loose-fitted clothes. She wasn't uncomfortable in them, like they were hand-me-downs. Instead, it was more like that was her style. "I don't think my parents will notice. They're gone half the time anyway." She waved her hand at them all when a second wave of awkward silence descended. "Don't worry, you don't have to say anything to that."

They didn't, but Biana's heart still ached for the three girls. Talentless parents, neglectful parents, horrible parents. She had been blessed with Alden and Della. They hadn't always been the ideal mom and dad, but they were better than most. Even her friends, like Keefe, Tam, and Linh, didn't have it as good as she did. And yes, there was the Vacker legacy and all the scorn that came with that, but at least she was loved unconditionally. Not everyone got that, and certainly not those who deserved it.

She'd been wallowing in self-pity for so long over something that shouldn't have even mattered. But family? That mattered so much. She'd taken hers for granted, and yes, they weren't perfect—but no family was. The scorn, the history, her heritage? That didn't affect her love. She wouldn't let it—couldn't let it.

And so, as she looked around the room at everyone who cared enough to help, she decided maybe it was time to let the Vacker legacy go.

____________________

"Who was Navik Hishia—who was he really?"

Alina's face was perfect in the frame of the Imparter—too perfect. Her silky brown hair was pulled up into an elaborately braided bun, and even the strands flowing out were meticulously chosen. They had to be. She reminded Biana of a statue, something that took decades to carve to beauty. But her eyebrows drooped and her eyes darkened.

"Whatever do you mean?" Her voice was sickly sweet, a tone Biana had heard a thousand times from her before (usually to do with her mother), which was how she knew Alina was hiding something.

"I went to Navik's treehouse—and I know you told me not to, and I understand if you don't want me to be an Emissary anymore. It's hard to trust me when I do what you've told me not to, isn't it? But it's equally hard for me to trust you when you don't tell me everything.

"We're on the same side, Alina, and I know that might infuriate you, given our family's past, but we are. And that means we need to communicate—and we need to do it well. So I'll understand if you don't want to tell me, and I'm leaving it up to you, but I'll ask again in case you change your mind: who was Navik Hishia?"

There was a moment of silence in which Alina's stillness convinced Biana more than ever that she really was a statue. But then she sighed. "I should've known you'd find a way to investigate on your own... After all, that was always what the Moonlark and her friends did when the Council didn't conform to your will."

"We weren't trying to control you—we were trying to fix our world's problems."

"Yes, and that's the problem: you think your way is better than everyone else's. You preach of teamwork, but when something doesn't go how you want, you fight secrecy with independence."

"Then let's be better! I know I'm not perfect at this, and neither is the Black Swan. This is new—we're figuring it out. So let's make it easier to do that. We can start now."

"Not all secrets are things the Council can share," Alina argued.

"We get that. The same goes for the Black Swan."

"I'd like to hear one of their Collective repeat that. Or is your fiancé absent at the moment?"

Biana ground her teeth. She didn't have the time for this—dealing with Alina's stubbornness or thinking about Dex. She moved her finger to hang up. "Fine. I guess you've made your choice."

"Wait."

Biana froze.

"Navik was tasked by the Council to do research on humans," Alina sighed. "Recently. We wanted to ensure they didn't have any hidden weapons that could threaten our world, or the worlds of the intelligent species. He had just started his research about six months ago... and then he ended up murdered."

"By the Purities?" Biana asked. "Because he found one of their meetings?"

"He found their meeting place once, over a year ago. But the Purities are careful. They never meet in the same place again, and they only disclose their next meeting place to those they trust. Believe me, the Council has labored harder than you know to find them, but it's simply not possible with the information we have. Navik posed no threat to the Purities after he leaped away from their meeting. After that, he couldn't have found his way back. So why would a Purity murder him?

"Perhaps we are too quick to presume the Purities are the enemies in every situation. But Bronte and I have discussed Navik, and we now guess the murder was performed by a human. Elves don't have the mental capacity to kill like that—and I know you're thinking of the Neverseen, but they were anomalies. A knife-stabbing... It's inelegant. Ugly. Human."

"No." Biana shook her head. Partially because of the implications of a human killer running rampant in the Lost Cities, but also because this lead was a dead end. The Purities hadn't killed Navik. Humans had, for any number of reasons—maybe he'd found out a deadly secret, or caught someone in an evil act, or simply looked for research in the wrong places.

"I see this isn't what you expected or wanted," Alina drawled. "I hope this teaches you that it's not always worth it to pry the Council's knowledge from behind closed doors."

"That's not what I was doing."

"You may think that, Lady Biana, and I have a feeling I can't change your mind. But do be careful when dealing with us. Sometimes it has dire consequences."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 29 22
Stellarlune, book 1 of the 4 book sokeefe series I am writing. You have to read them in order!!!!!! Stellarlune Series: Book 1: Stellarlune Book 2: T...
38K 336 90
BEGINS AFTER FLASHBACK, INCLUDES LEGACY AND UNLOCKED SPOILERS. AND ALSO BEGINS AFTER THE HIVE QUEEN AND INCLUDES THE POISON JUNGLE AND LEGENDS: DRAGO...
7.7K 110 26
Everlasting 1. lasts forever or a very long time Love 1. A very deep intense feeling of affection. Sophie Foster is confused. Why? Why? Did she feel...
18.7K 480 33
(KotLC human au) The girl everyone wants to be: Sophie Foster. But of course, no one knows who she is. All they know her as is the Moonlark. World fa...