Just Friends (Completed)

By QueenyC10

Kongpob and Arthit fought over which flat to get - the one with the big lounge or the one with just enough ro... More

1: Closer than Close
2: Arrangement?
3: Realisation
4: An Unexpected Event..
5: Not the best place to kiss!
6: Near, but so far apart

7: Mother's Know Best!

1.4K 118 47
By QueenyC10

"I used to date my best friend."

Arthit's mouth is hanging open, Kongpob's eyes are sort of crossed, and Namtarn is looking from Arthit's mother, to the pair of them and back again as though they can qualify her remark.

"It was before I met your father, Arthit."

Kongpob's hand snakes its way to hold Arthit's, fingers trapped together in the tiny space they are sharing. He squeezes and Arthit lets his head drop onto his best friend's shoulder. Then he looks at his mother and widens his eyes and she widens hers back as she looks between them.

"My best friend and I did everything together. We were joined at the hip and never cared what anyone else thought about us. We loved each other unconditionally and neither one of us ever thought it would end."

Kongpob raises an eyebrow and his own mother chimes in, "They were so close that Ela used to stay at his family home and no-one batted an eyelid, Kong! In fact, she used to stay over a lot!"

Kongpob feels his mouth turn up in a grin and beside him Arthit stiffens before he starts to laugh lightly as both of their mothers smile at them.

Beside them, Namtarn is clearly confused, eyes flitting back and forth, expression polite but interested. After a beat, Ela takes pity on her.

"When these two were young, they had the most intense sleepovers.. they would last days... moving from house to house, snacking on things they found in either fridge without telling us, making a mess and then hiding it with dropped items of clothing, staying up until the early morning watching TV or playing games. Arwena and I used to call each other and ask if they were staying there that night. It was quite an interesting time for us. They had so much energy all the time and neither of us could keep up!"

Kongpob nuzzles into Arthit as he watches their mother's share the story, clearly excited to tell it and to make whatever point it is they think they are hiding beneath it all.

"Once, I couldn't get Ela on the phone, so I sent Kerkkrai round to look for Kongpob." Arwena says, taking up the story as she gazes at her son and his best friend, curled around each other in the easiest manner as though there is no one else in the room. "He found them curled up on a pile of fresh laundry in Ela's basement, snuggled together like puppies - I still have the photo he took!"

Arthit shrugs at Namtarn as she raises an eyebrow at him. Then his mother goes on.

"I dated my best friend for six months when we were seventeen. But it didn't last. Uni came and we were separated and we drifted apart. It was hard to stay in touch and we didn't really choose to if I'm honest. It was a friendship and romance of the moment, not something long lasting and timeless."

Namtarn shuffles on her bean bag chair and then gracefully stands. "I think I know the point, Mrs Rojnapat, Mrs Suthiluck." She smiles at them and they smile kindly back too.

Arthit lifts his head from Kongpob's shoulder as she turns to look at them, "Arthit, thank you for being such a good friend to me when I had just started at work. Thank you for making sure I felt welcome and knew what to do. I really appreciate it. But I don't want to come between whatever.. this is." She waves a hand at him and Kongpob, still curled into each other on their own bean bag. "I shouldn't have tried to help that day. I like you a lot. But I know when I'm not helping. I know that I will only make things muddled and confused."

She heads for the door and Kongpob's eyes track her as she goes. Then he smiles too and says, "Thank you Namtarn. I think, one day, we'll be really good friends."

"But, just friends." Arthit says firmly as Kongpob tugs him as close as he can, smushing them together.

She smiles and heads out of the door and then Kongpob and Arthit turn to face their mothers.

"You want to Ela? Or shall I?" Arwena asks as they share a complicated look.

Ela looks at Arthit, eyes boring into him as though she is trying to read his thoughts, "Son, I wish you had felt more at ease with yourself when you were younger. But I know how hard that is. I know how it feels to have too many feelings trapped inside."

Arthit nods and Kongpob brushes a soft kiss over his forehead, giving him the strength he needs as she goes on.

"When you two were younger, Arwena and I used to regularly talk about what might happen as you grew up. You were the closest of friends, closer even than myself and Tar, my best friend whom I dated. But we were scared you might drift apart as you had different hobbies."

"But then you chose the same university," Arwena smiles, "And stayed friends and we watched you grow together and we couldn't have been happier. You just seem to fit like two puzzle pieces and you always have."

Arthit lifts his head to find dark eyes watching him, serious but with the same warmth that is always there, "I wish I had known how you felt." Kongpob says.

Arthit inclines his head, puzzled.

"I always liked you more than anyone in my life, but I didn't really get it, to be honest."

Arthit watches as Kongpob's eyes dart from his to his lips. "I was kind of obsessed with you for a long time, mother will tell you." Arwena coughs into her hand, muffling a laugh, "And sometimes I wondered if it was more than just friendship. But I didn't feel that way about any other guys."

It feels a bit weird to be having such an intimate conversation with their mother's present, but, then. Arthit thinks they've been here through it all beside them since they were about ten.

"I kind of liked boys." Arthit admits and this time his mother coughs, hiding a grin, "Okay, no, I really liked boys." Kongpob raises an eyebrow and Arthit rushes to clarify, "But I always liked you the most. I suppose I just forgot about my sexuality, we were so busy being teenagers and learning to.." he lowers his voice and mouths, 'drink and smoke', but his mother still coughs again and Arwena outright laughs.

Kongpob laughs too, but then his expression turns serious, "I never understand why you didn't say you liked someone or why you didn't date.. but I though by not talking about it, I was respecting your privacy. I was wrong wasn't I?"

Arthit leans in and kisses his cheek lightly, "No. I think I was too busy, going through Nursing school and starting such a crazy job. I wouldn't have ever wanted to date someone really.. besides, I always had you to come home to, to cook for and to sit with and watch movies and fall asleep beside. You were a constant. Even when our shifts overlapped and I didn't see you for days, there were always notes and freshly washed uniforms and texts and things that made me smile. You cared for me better than I could have ever wished for.."

Kongpob looks between Arthit and their mothers and then huffs, "Oh f*ck it," and leans in to press a sweet kiss against Arthit's mouth, holding him in place for a few seconds as he tries to show him how he feels.

Arwena and Ela lean against each other and close their eyes, both smiling happily.

Kongpob's voice is full of emotion when he pulls away, "Do you know what you do to me when you say things like that, Arthit?" He kisses him lightly once more, and after a whole week of drought - no Kongpob and certainly nothing intimate - Arthit presses back and tries to deepen it.

But Kongpob coughs and pulls a fraction away and mouths, 'Later' and then glances at their mothers who are averting their eyes to give them as much privacy as their tiny living room allows.

"I feel the same, Arthit. You've always looked after me and made sure I eat well and that I'm happy and healthy and safe. I love that so much." He pauses, then he raises his eyebrow again, "I love you so much."

It's too much for Arthit who gasps out a sob and then drags Kongpob into his arms, pressing kisses at random all over his face.

They are still kissing as Arwena and Ela sneak out, clutching each other in delight.

"I knew there was no chance my son was dating that girl."

Arwena grins, "And Kongpob finally worked it out! I'm so happy!"

Ela smiles as the head down the stairs to the car they had arrived in together, "Can you believe that after so many years it's finally happening?"

"We'll finally be a true family!"

"None of this Just Friends nonsense any more!"

"I've already seen a nice hat for the wedding." Arwena admits.

"I've already bought my mother of the groom dress!" Ela laughs.

The two friends end up calling their husbands and meeting them at the golf course for celebratory dinner and drinks while their sons stay home and do whatever it is you do when you've finally realised you are not..

..Just Friends..

Anymore.

The End.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 280 11
For seven years, Arthit has lived across the street from Kongpop Suthilak. In all those years, they've only talked a handful of times. There's a lot...
62.6K 3K 12
All Arthit wants from Kongpob is love. Is love something Kongpob willing to give his Oon? { Bitter sweet ending. Happy ending only for Arthit. } Cove...
137K 11.6K 39
Arthit is in 2017. Kongpob is in 2020. They live in the same apartment, but in two totally different worlds. Can they find their way back to each o...
214K 11.5K 32
Arthit let Kongpob walk out of his life three years ago in the cheer hall where it all began, coming to a full circle. So, how do they move on from...