Champorado

By arrowheads

WATTY'S SHORTLIST 2021 EDITOR'S PICK OCTOBER 2021 Jiya Valle learns too late that kissing her sworn enemy sin... More

i. summary + author's note
ii. cast + soundtrack
iii. status
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
epilogue
the vows
author's note
book design

32

5.7K 151 529
By arrowheads

MIGO missing her is so heavy a feeling, it's become a problem na talaga between them.

Her work has become a problem—in between after the holidays, Migo's birthday, her birthday, hanggang ngayon. May na, at mayro'ng BookExpo sa New York.

"Don't go," Migo tells her quietly habang nasa kotse sila, bago siya pumasok. "Please."

Sa dami ng mga naging away nila, Jiya chooses to go home at 5:30 most days para masundo niya si Migo from school—and then just finishes her work at home. Kung kailangan niya mag-overtime, she limits it to once or twice a week, tapos babawi siya sa weekends, not opening her laptop, and then magb-breakfast sila together sa following mornings.

Lagi din naman busy si Migo. Sometimes, nakakapag-overtime si Jiya because he's studying with his friends or eating out, or nagt-train for Palarong Medisina.

The difference is that si Jiya, at ease kapag busy siya. Si Migo, hindi. Kasi kasama niya si Gelo.

He's trying not to say it, he's trying to separate her work and Gelo. He's saying 'work' and 'trabaho' instead of his name, Jiya can see the obvious strain when they argue. Pero alam ni Jiya na to him, work and Gelo come hand in hand.

"This isn't some sort of vacation, I'm not going to New York because I want to sightsee," Jiya counters, trying to keep her temper in check, kasi alam naman niya na Migo won't be happy about her having to go to New York for a week, a room beside Gelo's sa hotel. Alam naman niya and she understands him, understands na he'll miss her and she'll be at the other side of the world. She would, too, if the roles were reversed. She's just disappointed that he's...he's still like this over her boss. Malapit na sila mag-five years, God. "This is for work. I'm going because I need to, because it's my job."

Migo purses his lips. "I know that."

"And you still don't want me to go?"

He takes a deep breath. "I don't want to miss you for an entire week, pero wala akong magagawa. Can you just...at least promise me you'll call me?"

"Migo." She says his name like a breathless scoff. "Natural, tatawagan kita. Natural, i-u-update kita. Do you think I'm deserting you or something?"

Her incredulousness makes his lips twitch. Jiya feels her shoulders relax. "No. Kinakabahan lang ako."

"Migo—"

"Not about you. Him. Tell me if he does something. Tries anything."

Jiya purses her lips. Kahit hindi niya sinabi kay Migo na may feelings pa rin si Gelo sa kanya, he can see it raw.

"I will," Jiya assures him. "Even though I know he won't."

"I can see it, Valle," Migo says quietly, taking her hand, brushing his thumb over her skin. "You know why we constantly argue about this even though I know you love me and wala ka talagang feelings for him whatsoever."

His voice is loud in the car.

"I'm scared because Gelo sees you the exact same way I see you—brilliant. Beautiful. All things wonderful. Maybe he's as helpless as I am when it comes to you. Maybe he loves you just as much as I do."

"You love me more," Jiya says firmly, squeezing his hand. "Ano ba, sa dami-dami ng mga sinasabi mo na 'more', dito ka magpapatalo?"

He smiles. "You're right. I love you more."

Jiya brings his hand to her lips and kisses his wrist, his knuckles.

She does the exact same thing when he drops her off at the airport and waits with her for their plane kahit inaantok siya and pagod siya. She does this in front of Gelo.

There's a tiny, tiny part of Jiya that feels bad for hurting him like this, pero kailangan niyang makita. Kailangan niyang intindihin na never niya 'tong gagawin sa kanya, kay Migo lang.

Migo's fingers refuse to let go of her shirt when she and Gelo have to board.

Jiya grins, kisses him. "Babe, I need to go."

"Say you'll come home to me."

"I'll come home to you."

"Say you'll miss me every day, every hour, every second you're there."

Jiya can't help it. She rolls her eyes. "Every second talaga?"

Hindi natutuwa si Migo. He glares at her.

"Fine, yes, I'll miss you every day, every hour, every second."

"Okay. Text me when you land." He brushes his lips over hers again, cupping her neck. "Take care and enjoy."

Gelo sits next to her on the plane, closing the window. "Get some sleep," he tells her with a small smile. "We have a full schedule pagdating doon."

Jiya nods and rests her head against the seat.

*

They don't fight the whole time Jiya is in New York.

She updates him, greets him good morning and goodnight, asks if he's eaten, tells him she misses him, at gano'n din ang ginawa ni Migo sa kanya. Minsan, sa video calls, Inggo will be there sa screen, shouting that he misses her, and Migo will say that Inggo has been sleeping over because he knows lonely si Migo sa bahay nila right now.

"...So nag-cuddle kayo sa bed natin?"

"Tanga," Migo answers, rolling his eyes. "Do'n siya sa kwarto niya."

Still, she's glad that Inggo keeps him company kahit sa bahay man lang, kasi Migo mumbled one time sa call nila, "The bed's too cold," when she asked him why he was sleeping on the couch.

Jiya sends him selfies and receives a lot in return, but work keeps her busy and on her feet until her bones ache in exhaustion. The experience is overwhelming and thrilling and it makes her nerves hum in excitement. She's enjoying.

On their last night, Gelo asks her to dress up for a dinner party with other notable names in the publishing industry.

He told her to bring a dress in case may ganitong occasion, and buti na lang she brought one (with Migo's grumbling). Gelo's waiting outside her door with his hair slicked back in a suit and tie when she comes out in her dress, hair falling down her shoulders, jewelry and makeup on her skin.

"Wow," he breathes, smiling. Then he offers his arm to her.

Jiya takes it as they ride the elevator, and he puts a hand above her head as they get in their rental car.

Jiya looks out the window so she doesn't have to meet Gelo's eyes. She can feel them staring at the side of her face.

He opens the door again, hurrying his steps bago makalabas si Jiya, when they arrive at the venue. He puts his hand at the small of her back and leads her inside.

She knows he's staring, and she can see his fingers drum absentmindedly on the table like they want to hold something—like they always do when he sits beside her, leaning over her desk to look at the computer or her iPad. Jiya didn't notice it at first. She notices it all the time now.

For dessert, he sits down and hands her a glass of gingerbread affogato parfait with a reminiscent smile. He's holding another glass in his hands for himself. "Try it, it's sweet."

Jiya smiles and dips her spoon in. "Thanks." It is sweet.

Hinatid siya ni Gelo to her door pagkabalik nila sa hotel.

Papasok na dapat siya when he says, quietly, "Jiya. I'll wait."

"I don't want you to," is what she answers. Icy. Harsh.

"I'm too selfish," Gelo says, staring at her eyes. "So I'm sorry, but be uncomfortable, be confused, and know that I'll wait. Wala kang choice."

He takes one last look at her with longing on his face and his fingers drumming against his side, and then turns to head to his own room.

He knocks the following day to tell her that they need to check out and catch their flight.

Migo picks her up from the airport and Jiya runs to him, exhausted and tired. His scent fills her nose and she breathes in, and his touch feels too far away from their layers of clothing kahit na his hands are around her, his chest pressed against hers.

"Missed you," Jiya whispers in his ear.

Migo's smiling when he says, "I know. I missed you too."

Nagpaalam sila kay Gelo in haste. Jiya sleeps in the car with Migo's hand rubbing her leg.

Dumiretso siya sa bed, her pulling him to their room, and clings to him like a koala, closing her eyes at the feel of him.

"Something happened."

He says this like a statement and not a question, kasi alam na niya.

Jiya presses her cheek to his heartbeat and feels it speed up when she stays quiet, in contrast to his calm hand stroking her back.

"You promised you'll tell me," he reminds her, and his voice doesn't have to shake to let her know he's nervous and scared of what he's about to hear.

"He said he'll wait and I told him I don't want him to," Jiya says. "He apologized because he wants me to be uncomfortable and confused. That's it."

"Are you?"

"Migo." Her voice is firm and annoyed. She sits up to look at him with a glare. "Pwede ba?"

"I feel like I'm competing with him," Migo says quietly, fingers clenching in fists. "Feeling ko nakikipag-agawan ako."

"Have I given you reasons to feel that way?"

Migo stays quiet—kasi wala. Alam nilang pareho na wala.

The only reason he feels this way is because Jiya's working with him.

"You were the one who told me to work where I want. You said you'd support me," Jiya reminds him, angry. "What will it take for you to stop feeling like you're competing with him?"

He's not going to ask her to quit. He knows she won't forgive him if he does.

"Marry me."

All those other times, they were jokes. Said teasingly. Not in the sincerity, because she knows he does want to marry her, but in the way in which they were spoken, like he understands he still has med school to finish and they're still so young.

This time, it's a question.

"No," Jiya says. "You have me. You live with me."

Migo's jaw clenches. "It's not enough."

She should find it worrying he wants to consume all of her to him. "I'll marry you not because you want to be first place, Migo," Jiya snaps. "But because you want to spend the rest of your life with me. Tanungin mo ako nang maayos, tanungin mo ako kapag hindi na natin pinag-uusapan si Gelo sa kama nating dalawa. I'll marry you then." Her voice drops to a pained whisper. "I promise I will. Don't ask me out of spite or out of jealousy or out of fear. I've never given you reasons to doubt me and I will not start now. Bahala siyang maghintay hanggang mamatay siya, I will never love him."

Jiya wraps her legs and arms around his body and feels his heartbeat. She presses her lips to his pulse point in his neck, and he gasps. "Ikaw ang tahanan ko, Migo," Jiya whispers. "Sa 'yo ko pinaubaya puso ko, sa 'yo ako umuuwi. Please...you completely own me."

Migo grips her like she's about to slip away, and his fingers shake, leaving dents on her hipbones.

*

"Okay, 'can you buy me pads' muna," Maureen says, grinning.

Addie squirms in her seat. "Game."

Jiya thinks this is completely childish, but she's going to participate kasi gusto niya rin makita reply ni Migo.

baby can u buy me pads

Migo reads that. Jiya bites her lip, waiting for his reply, and the other two girls beside her wait for Inggo and Cas's replies, din.

Pogi: BLEEDING SEASON??? we cant
fuck?????

She laughs out loud. What else did she expect?

Maureen snorts at her own phone. Ang sagot ni Inggo is:

Kuya Inggo: ano yon wala akong pera

And si Cas naman:

Bubba: okay bubba daan ako after
work. ill bring home food and
chocolates din :)

On another day, they text the boys another thing.

Jiya types her message.

migo i want a baby

He takes a while. Pati rin si Inggo, pero si Cas mabilis mag-reply. Tawang-tawa si Jiya at Maureen imagining them scratching their heads, not knowing how to respond.

Finally:

Pogi: mine?

Kuya Inggo: ...like for lunch?

Bubba: after we get married, bubba. promise. kahit ilan pa.

Nakakabobo 'tong si Migo and Inggo! Dumb and dumber, ampota!

Nag-reply si Jiya.

Bobo. Who else's

Maureen laughs loudly beside her. May sinunod pa raw na mga texts si Inggo after i-clarify ni Mau na hindi for lunch.

Kuya Inggo: no
Kuya Inggo: but don't ask someone else ill
do it
Kuya Inggo: puta sandale, sabi ko baby
STEPS rinn hindi actual baby, baby na
baby ka pa nga putangina naman.

Pag-uwi ni Migo, she giggles at his pained face, parang hindi niya alam kung ano dapat reaction niya sa text ni Jiya kanina.

In the end, he says, "Of course gusto ko, pero not now. Ayaw pa kitang ka-share. Willing ako mag-practice, though."

Jiya rolls her eyes and smacks him. Then she takes him up on his offer.

*

"Bobo! Na-miss mo yung ikot!"

"Tangina, tumahimik ka! Bwisit, ikaw mag-drive!"

"Sinabi ko nga na ako na, pota, bobo!"

Maureen heaves a heavy sigh in the passenger seat and twists around to glare at Migo. "Kuya, shut up, you're distracting him!"

"Mau, hindi mo ba gets na kaya ang bobo mag-drive ng putanginang boyfriend mo is kasi nakahawak ka sa hita niya!"

Jiya snickers beside Migo. This is the first time she sees Inggo's face turn beet red, the back of his neck flushing hot.

"Oh," sabi ni Maureen, blinking. "Sorry."

Inggo's jaw hardens. "Shut the fuck up, Salas!"

"Siguraduhin mong ako kausap mo and hindi ang kapatid ko."

Inggo looks at Maureen. "Si—si Migo, not you, Rinn."

Maureen nods once, letting go of his thigh. Naka-shorts kasi si Inggo.

The tips of Inggo's ears are hot, knuckles white on the steering wheel. He clears his throat. "Pota, nasa'n na ba tayo."

So medyo nawala-wala pa sila around Dapitan and sinisigawan na ni Migo and Inggo si Waze kahit wala naman talagang kasalanan si Waze.

Finally, they get to Nikko's Tailoring, and Inggo groans when he shuts off the engine, sweating profusely. "Ayoko na mag-drive pauwi. Bwisit."

"Pacool ka kase," Migo snorts, getting out of the car.

"Gago ka kase," sagot ni Inggo childishly.

Jiya links arms with Maureen as they enter the small shop. "You good?"

Migo's sister nods, still a little flustered. "I tend to scare Kuya Inggo a lot and I keep forgetting I'm his first relationship," she mutters, blushing as she looks down on her shoes. "He should've said he didn't like it."

"I think hindi lang siya sanay, Mau," Jiya tells her with a smile, sitting down on the couch while the boys head to the counter. "It takes some getting used to for someone like him. Pero lakas mo, 'no? You ended his fuckboy phase."

Maureen grins. "Lupit magmahal ang mga Salas."

Jiya can't disagree. "And you still call him Kuya Inggo?" She snorts. "Isn't that weird?"

"I'm trying to shake it off," Maureen mutters shyly. "But it's weird if I just call him by his name, I spent years calling him that. And he's older than me naman talaga."

"You're his girlfriend."

"Ah!" Maureen squeals in her hands. "Ate Jiya, stop. Kinikilig ako."

Like brother, like sister.

Jiya helps Migo shrug on his white coat and gano'n din ang ginawa ni Maureen kay Inggo.

"Ang panget mo pa rin," Migo says to Inggo. "The fuck."

"Makasalita ka, puta ka," Inggo counters back. "Liit-liit ng coat mo sa 'yo, ano ka, nuno?"

Jiya rolls her eyes and grabs Migo before he lunges at his best friend. "Mau, o!"

They're picking up their white coats that they fitted five months ago before sila mag-fourth year, their clerkship year.

They finished their last classroom year and sa hospital na sila magd-duty.

Jiya drags Migo in front of the mirror and looks at him there, dusting off his shoulders and straightening his collar. Migo smiles at her in the mirror. "Ano, bagay ba?"

She turns to face him, smile widening as her finger brushes over his embroidered name in the pocket, above the Ateneo logo. Miguel E. Salas.

Jiya steps back and looks at him, feeling her heart pound loudly. "Yes," she says quietly, proud na proud.

Migo shrugs, sighing, buttoning it up. "Siyempre, sa 'kin pa."

Jiya doesn't argue kasi totoo naman. Contrary sa sinabi ni Inggo, hindi naman maliit yung coat. It fits perfectly.

*

"Domingo Jasmin ampota. Ano 'tong C mo?"

"Basta," Inggo mutters sa backseat.

Jiya turns around to look at him, raising her eyebrow. "I'm curious."

Maureen looks at him, too. "Me too."

"Basta nga!"

Migo snickers. "Defensive."

*

Migo and Inggo go through their Blue Lights Ceremony, the coating ceremony for incoming fourth year medical students.

Pinilit niyang mag-picture sila sa harap ng Ateneo sign sa building ng ASMPH with his white coat on. Pinasuot pa niya kay Jiya with a whisper of, "Thank you for helping me get here."

Nag-picture rin sila ni Inggo. Dynamic duo. Tapos silang apat.

Migo posted their picture sa feed niya that same night after a small celebration at home with Maureen and Inggo. May cake for them both and dinner and balloons that spell CONGRATS DOCS. Migo kisses her in the kitchen, and they're sure Maureen and Inggo are kissing in the living room.

Jiya kisses him hard on their bed after liking his post and tossing his phone somewhere. Migo smiles in her mouth and grabs her, hoisting her up to his lap.

"You amaze me," Jiya whispers, keeps kissing him, traveling down to his jaw and neck and throat. "You worked so hard, I'm so proud."

"Oh my God, wait, I'm stressed. Hindi ko alam kung puso ko yung tatalon o si Junior."

Jiya falls on him, laughing, clutching her abdomen, and she says, "Both."

The weekend before they start their clerkship, nagpainom sila sa mga kaibigan nila sa BGC (nasa Pinas si Van!). Jiya sits in the car pauwi na madikit-dikit ang underwear niya, and Migo's still wearing that satisfied, male smirk all the way up to their bedroom.

*

Pogi: tangina mo pls namumula ako i
cant do this

Jiya laughs quietly at her boyfriend's text from her handwritten note sa breakfast niya:

im super proud of you, doc. my doc. good morning, have a good day sa hospital, wag ka masyadong gwapo sa harap ng patients and ibang doctors. akin ka.
love you so much. – wife

She types her reply.

meant every word. :) what
time do u end baby, 12 noon?

Pogi: yes :(

Jiya smiles.

cold bed tonight but okay lang
kasi i know ure kicking ass
there. good luck!!!! LOVE YOU

Pogi: duwag. pakasalan mo na ako
may white coat na ko o

Teasing. Jiya grins.

soon, baby.

They both know na they're not talking about serious wedding preparations until he's done with medical school and the PLE.

Jiya texts Migo when she's home, but he doesn't reply, busy with his work in the hospital.

It's lonely and cold sa bed nila and she can't help but think that Migo spent an entire week here last May without her.

She wakes up alone, hugging his pillow, and there's a text on her phone when she steps out from her shower.

Pogi: good morning, my beautiful wife.
super tired but hygiene break rn,
kakashower ko lang. from na ako :<
see u tonight yie EXCITING

From duty means may seven AM to twelve noon pa na kailangan gumawa ng mga clerks ng paperwork, like updating charts and discharging patients. Nakwento ni Migo 'to sa kanya last week when they started.

She brightens and smiles.

good morning, my love.
kakashower ko lang din

Pogi: send them nudez

Jiya knows he's joking. He's said this before no'ng nagsh-shopping siya for a dress no'ng college sila.

Still, para maganahan, she takes off her towel and steps back, pulling up her camera. She covers her face with her phone sa mirror and takes a picture, then sends it to him.

happy? :)

Pogi: OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIT PUTANGINA
MOOOOOOO

Her laugh is loud. Jiya doesn't bother putting on the towel again and heads to her closet to dress up for work.

Sunod-sunod ang buzz ng phone niya on the dresser.

Pogi: huy gago ohmygod babalik ba
ako sa shower???? ANG DAMING
TAO DITO PUNYETA
Pogi: baby i hate you so fucking much
i hate you please wait im hard
Pogi: ANO GAGAWIN KO HOY
KASALANAN MO TO BUMALIK KA
DITO JIYA VALLE
Pogi: fuck it papasok ako ulit ng banyo
tatawag ako tangina mo idc if late ka

"What?" Jiya answers the phone, laughing. "You told me to send!"

"I didn't think you'd actually do it!" Migo hisses, trying to keep his voice hushed kasi nasa cubicle lang siguro 'to or something. Jiya laughs again. "I'll get you back for that mamayang pag-uwi mo from work, I swear to God, Valle." His breathing is erratic. "Fuck you."

"Later."

"I'm hard, I need you," he whines. Jiya bites her lip at his needy voice. She will never get over how much power she has over him. "Please, kausapin mo 'ko, quick lang."

So she does. Jiya closes her eyes when she hears Migo's low moan in her ear.

Jiya gets dressed and goes to work in a good mood. Feeling niya nawala na rin ang pagod ni Migo.

He texts her to let her know he's on the way home at twelve on the dot, and Jiya wishes she could massage his scalp or his legs kasi mga ilang oras din 'yon siguro nakatayo buong duty, but she can't pick him up kasi malayo pa Medical City and she won't be able to make it back in time sa office.

Pogi: home na baby. sleep na me
gudnyt text pag pauwi ka na love u

Jiya smiles.

sleep well love. will do <3

Migo comes through on his promise. He does get her back for it.

*

Migo works for 83-102 hours a week. Minimum.

They see each other more often than when he was studying sa classroom, pero he's definitely more tired. Bagsak na siya agad pag-uwi niya sa bahay, pero buti na lang, he usually doesn't report to the hospital on the weekends and has the complete weekends off in some rotations. May times din na after his complete twenty-four-hour duty, uuwi na siya and he wakes up at noon to visit her with lunch.

It breaks her heart seeing him get so drained from working. She knows he loves medicine, she knows he loves doing this, but it's a known fact that a lot of medical students quit in the middle of clerkship. Sayang, but Migo says it's because of the sleepless nights, seemingly unending work, and the sick and dying patients.

"Pero wala akong balak mag-quit," Migo mumbles tiredly in her neck, almost getting pulled into sleep, squeezing her tight. "This is worth it for me. No matter how hard and how heartbreaking, I want this."

Migo cries to her after getting out of his duty not once. Not twice. Minsan sa pagod, minsan sa mga patients. Minsan sa mga family members ng mga patients. Minsan sa nagawa or na-witness niyang maganda. Life, he says.

"I told Lolo Martin about you," he says one time, kissing her on the lips as she takes off her shoes. "He asked me for a picture tapos sabi niya ang ganda mo."

Jiya grins. "Tell him salamat, pero taken na ako."

Migo's laugh makes her hug him a little tighter, breathe in a little deeper.

That same week, he's crying kasi Lolo Martin didn't make it.

Inggo doesn't show it to Jiya, but the strain is there, too. In his eyes, in his face. Jiya hugs him one night, no'ng nasa couch siya and tahimik, and Inggo silently cries in her shoulder. She's so happy he has Mau now.

It's a tough battle, and all she can do is be here for them. For Migo.

"That's enough for me," Migo whispers, cradling her head, kissing her forehead.

No matter how many times this breaks him, Migo's still full of life. Happiness. Passion for medicine.

"It's heartbreaking," he tells her, and Jiya strokes her thumb along his hand. "But it's also beautiful."

Like he said—worth it.

*

They can't go to Tagaytay this year for one whole weekend during their fifth anniversary kasi may duty pa si Migo bukas, so they opt for fancy dinner na lang sa labas and then dessert at home after they dance in the living room.

("Isayaw mo ako...sa gitna ng ulan, mahal ko...")

On the couch, his hands touch his name on her throat.

On the bed. Against the wall. Keeps saying she's his.

His, his, his.

"Wow," he says, shaking his head and panting, rolling off her. "Nagtagal ako sa 'yo ng five years."

Jiya grins and swings her leg over his, kissing his chest. "Pasalamat kang gwapo ka."

He laughs.

His, his, his, his, his. Five times for five years.

"Forever to go," Migo whispers, and Jiya squeals when he rolls her over on her stomach.

*

Jiya's waiting for Migo outside Medical City in her car at fifteen past eight AM on a Saturday. Seven ang labas niya, but na-traffic si Jiya and his car is with Maureen. He said he'll eat while waiting for her.

Hindi siya nagigising nang ganito kaaga, especially on a weekend, but she'll do it for him.

Yawning, she wraps Migo's hoodie sleeves further down her hands and texts him when she parks.

baby sorry, here na!!

Jiya meets eyes with Hailey when she steps out of the car next to her. May dala siyang blanket in her hands.

Jiya gets out in her hoodie and sweatpants, remembering what she promised Migo she'd do.

Kahit na natatakot siya na nagustuhan nga nito si Migo the same way Jiya liked him.

"Hi, Hailey." Jiya tries to sound genuinely friendly and puts on a smile. "It's Jiya...if you remember me. Migo's girlfriend."

"Ah, yeah, hi." She smiles back and pushes her glasses up her nose, hugging the blanket to her. "Yeah, I remember."

She doesn't seem hostile naman sa rudeness ni Jiya noon. Still, Jiya takes a deep breath and says, "Sorry for the bother, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for my rudeness when we first met. It was out of line."

Hailey shakes her head wildly. "No, no, it's fine. You were right naman—"

"It wasn't an excuse," Jiya says slowly, pursing her lips. "I didn't know you already apologized to Migo, but still, it was rude of me. And you're his friend. I'm really sorry."

Hailey grins at her. "It's really not needed, but thank you for apologizing, Jiya. Don't worry about it anymore."

She grins back. "Great. Um, are you on duty ba?"

"Done na, actually," Hailey answers, "I just went back for some of my stuff after breakfast, and I'm giving this to a friend." She gestures sa blanket.

"Oh. If you happen to see Migo, please tell him I'm waiting for him if it's not too much to ask."

"Yeah, of course." Hailey waves at her as she steps back to the hospital. "I'll let him know, see you around!"

Jiya waves back at her and gets back inside the car. Wala pa ring text si Migo sa kanya and hindi pa niya nababasa.

She calls him again but he doesn't answer. She sends him another text.

loveee lets go home na pls im
sleepy.

Hindi namalayan ni Jiya na nakatulog siya sa car, and when she wakes up, her eyes widen. Magte-ten na!

It's Inggo who rapped his knuckles against the window para magising siya. His eyebrows are scrunched. "Huy, bro. Ano ginagawa mo dito?"

Jiya lowers the window, rubbing her eyes. "Sinusundo si Migo. Kanina pa ako nandito," she mutters, annoyed. Ang init na dito ah, kanina pa niya pinatay 'yong engine.

"Tulog si Migs sa loob," Inggo tells her with a frown, reaching out with a hand to smooth the hair away from her face. "Nakita lang kita during a smoke break, but I have to go back inside for my paperwork. Gisingin ko."

"Thanks," she murmurs, squinting.

When she looks to the side, wala na ang car ni Hailey.

Migo is running palabas. Jiya glares at him all the way to the passenger seat. He kisses her cheek with a sheepish smile. "Babe, sorry, I was asleep, I didn't know you were here na. Na-silent ko 'ata phone ko. I'm really sorry."

Jiya sighs, rubbing her face and cracking her neck from the stiffness of it. "It's fine. I asked Hailey to tell you I was here if she saw you, but I guess not."

Migo blinks. "Hailey?"

"Ah, yeah, I apologized to her," Jiya mumbles, switching on the engine. "She's nice. She said she was done na with her shift but went back inside for her stuff."

"Ah. Good, then. I'm glad you apologized. Thank you," he whispers, leaning back against the headrest.

Jiya smiles. "Okay, let's go home. We both need to sleep."

Later, Jiya sees that the blanket Hailey was bringing in her arms is the same one on top of Migo's body as he rested on a bed. Inggo sent her the picture.

Inggo Best Bro: thank me later. cute
cute naman ni salas hekhek

She tells Migo this, and he only says, "Well, I was asleep. Kaya siguro she didn't say anything, she didn't want to wake me up. Or baka she forgot." He shrugs, facing the oven again. "Babe, gusto mo i-taste 'to?"

Jiya shoves the thought away na baka si Hailey rin ang nag-silent ng phone ni Migo.

But it's incredibly difficult not to think that of the girl when Jiya catches her again para sunduin si Migo, and kalalabas niya lang ng hospital. Her eyes narrow at the hoodie she's wearing kasi 'yon 'yong kalalaba lang ni Jiya for Migo to bring to the hospital yesterday.

Suot ni Hailey, her white coat on her arm. Jiya watches her unlock her car doors with a huge smile on her face and get inside. She peels off Migo's hoodie and folds it neatly, still grinning while she sniffs it. And then she reaches for her backseat and puts on—a smaller hoodie. Hers.

What the fuck.

Pagkapasok ni Migo sa sasakyan, he kisses her on the lips and puts on his seatbelt, and Jiya demands, "Did you lend anyone your hoodie? The one you store in your locker?" Ginagamit niya minsan kapag nakakatulog siya while waiting for Jiya or kapag he's eating and naka-scrubs lang siya.

Baka same lang ang design and color.

Pero her boyfriend confirms it. Migo doesn't blink, but his eyebrows meet in confusion. "Uh, I lent it to Hailey kasi nilalamig kanina sa conference. Why?"

"She had her own hoodie," Jiya says, seething. "Nasa car lang niya."

Migo blinks. "It was a conference, baka walang time pumunta pa sa car niya—"

"Don't lend anyone your clothes, I'm annoyed." She switches the gear to drive and pulls out of her parking space, clenching her jaw. "Ako lang dapat nagsusuot."

Migo is amused. "You mad? Are you gonna pick a fight with me?"

"I might if you don't get it back by tomorrow. And don't wear it, lalabhan ko ulit. Bwisit."

Migo doesn't get it back the next day. Or the next day. Or the following week.

"Nakakalimutan lang niya," Migo says, sighing. "Baby, please, mukha akong tanga kakatanong. She can give it back anytime, and she said she's going to wash it."

Jiya doesn't like the idea of his clothes being in someone else's room. On someone else's bed. Smelling like someone else's laundry detergent.

She huffs and turns her back to him in bed, snatching the covers from him.

Isipin niya kaya kung 'yong damit ni Jiya nasa bahay ni Gelo, but she doesn't say so. Ayaw niyang mag-away sila kahit halatang papunta na sila roon. Migo sighs and hugs her from behind. "Don't be mad na," he whispers in her neck, nosing her skin. "Steal all my other hoodies."

That's not the point! He doesn't get it.

"What, you still think she likes me?" Migo asks tiredly. "We're just good friends."

She doesn't answer him. Halata na ang sagot sa kanya, but Migo won't believe her.

Jiya's bad mood stays with her until Migo invites his classmates sa bahay nila the same week for just drinks and dinner. She smiles at them and has conversation with them, being a good hostess, and her jaw clicks when Hailey comes in with another girl.

Jiya puts a possessive arm on Migo's shoulder. Hailey's eyes catch this. Jiya greets her warmly, as she did with his other friends, pero kailangan niya ng wine. Puta.

"Ji, bad mood ka," Inggo says, snickering, leaning against the wall. "Okay ka lang?"

"May crush ba 'yong Hailey na 'yon kay Migo?"

"Tingin ko," sagot agad ni Inggo. "Pero you know Migs. Friendly lang talaga siya. Kung nagseselos ka, 'wag. She's not a threat to you. Migo bows down at your feet, nakakatawa minsan. Pero naalala ko na baka gano'n din ako kay Rinn."

While Jiya pours her wine into her glass, Hailey walks into the kitchen and turns to her. "Hi! Can I have a drink?"

Bitch. "Sure." Jiya's not proud of her immature thoughts. She pours a glass for her. "Hey, Hailey? I know Migo's been asking about it, but I wanted to ask you na rin since you're here. Can you bring his hoodie tomorrow?" She smiles sweetly. "It's my favorite kasi and I'd like to have it back to me."

Me.

She sees Inggo appear by the doorway again with a wicked grin. He mouths, "Not a threat."

Hailey's smile falters as she takes the glass. "Yes, sure. Sorry, I keep forgetting talaga."

Yeah, right. "No problem."

"Are you mad?"

Jiya raises an eyebrow. "Sorry?"

"You seem mad," Hailey continues with a shrug. "It's just a hoodie."

"It's Migo's hoodie," Jiya corrects through her teeth. "And therefore mine."

"What if ayaw kong ibalik?"

Oh my fucking God.

Jiya gets in her face. "Oh, so your sorry ass has a crush on my boyfriend and you won't back off? Is that it?"

Hailey doesn't say anything. Instead, she pours the wine all over herself, bumping into Jiya to make a sound, and presses a shard to her skin. "Ow! Jiya!"

She's fucking crazy.

Jiya hears Inggo laugh.

Migo gets to the kitchen. His eyes widen at the blood on Hailey's arm, and then he looks at her.

Ah. Is this bitch trying to prove na i-de-defend siya ni Migo?

Jiya raises her eyebrow at him. "I didn't touch her."

"She bumped into me," Hailey mutters pathetically.

Jiya grits her teeth. Inggo shakes his head and points to Migo.

She understands what he's saying. Wait for Migo to tell her who he believes before she tells him that Inggo saw everything.

Migo's lips press together as he helps Hailey to her feet, leading her to the sink. "Wash it," he tells her, turning on the faucet. "I'll get you a towel for your clothes."

Jiya finishes her wine, slams the glass down on the counter it almost breaks, and climbs the stairs, ignoring his friends' questioning looks.

Sinundan siya ni Migo maya-maya to the bathroom while she's washing the poured wine off the tips of her hair. "Valle, ano nangyari?" He's mad. "May ginawa ka ba o wala?"

"Sabihin mo sa 'kin, Migo, kung may ginawa ako," she says back calmly. "And you be very fucking careful about what you say, because if you think na kaya kong manakit ng tao, no matter how jealous I am, I will walk out of here."

Migo stares at her, jaw tight. "I don't think you purposely tried to hurt her."

"But?"

"Was it an accident?"

"She hurt herself," Jiya says, turning to him. "She deliberately poured the wine on herself and pressed glass to her skin. She told me she doesn't want to back off from you."

"Valle."

Jiya scoffs quietly at his face. Hindi siya naniniwala. "Go back to your friends and tell them I don't feel well and I'm sorry. Check on Hailey's wound. And then ask Inggo what happened, he saw everything."

Jiya slams the door in his face.

She takes a shower and gets into bed with her laptop without eating dinner. Kakain siya kapag wala na mga kaibigan ng bobo niyang boyfriend.

He shuts the door closed behind him quietly. Jiya's still reading.

"Valle."

Jiya keeps her eyes on her screen. "Ano? Do you believe me now?" Her voice is cold. It makes him flinch.

"I'm sorry," Migo mutters, sitting on the bed. "Alam ko kasi na you were angry and jealous, and I was trying to understand what happened—"

"You were trying to rationalize kung bakit ko siya sinaktan, 'yon ang ginawa mo, Migo." She shuts her laptop closed and gets out of the bed. "You took her side."

"She was hurt—"

"I was hurt!" Jiya snaps, eyes burning. "Walang dugo pero nasaktan ako sa loob-looban ko, nasasaktan pa rin ako ngayon na hindi mo ako kayang paniwalaan without asking Inggo!"

"I didn't ask him."

Jiya's chest rises and falls. "You didn't?"

"No." Migo stares at her. "I knew what he was going to tell me if I asked. Plus, she cried and told me that you said she was a bitch."

Jiya's eyebrow raises.

"You would never say that to her face," Migo mutters quietly. "You'd think it, but you won't say it."

She almost, almost laughs. Migo knows her too well.

"So, uh, I told her to leave our house. And to give me back the hoodie tomorrow or I'll follow her to her condo and search for it myself."

"Tangina." Jiya throws a pillow at him. "Bahala ka."

Migo grabs her before she can leave. "Baby."

"'Wag mo 'kong i-baby-baby." She's still mad. "You take my side. You believe me."

"I'm on your side," Migo tries, cupping her face, desperation in his features. "I'm always on your side."

"It didn't feel like it." Jiya feels her eyes water. Fucking hell. "Do you like her?" She chokes on the question.

"No, Jesus fucking Christ." Migo is angry now. "Ano tingin mo sa 'kin?"

"Baka kasi nagustuhan mo kasi inaaway ka niya."

He sighs and flicks her forehead. "Ang bobo mo, sa totoo lang."

"Bobo ka rin, punyeta."

"Valle, inaway kita kasi crush kita tapos nag-react ka in the way that I hoped—which meant you were giving me attention. Inaway niya ako pero hindi ako nag-react, wala akong pake sa mga ginagawa niya kahit pa no'ng med school. Gets mo? Tangina naman. Five years tapos tatanungin mo 'ko ng gano'n?"

Jiya cries. "Baka kasi mas magaling siyang kaaway."

"Valle, ano ba! Ikaw lang ang gusto kong awayin araw-araw, aawayin kita ngayon. Ang panget mo."

"Mas panget ka."

"Pakakasalan mo naman 'tong panget na 'to."

"Iniisip ko pa, desperado kasi si gago."

"E 'di 'wag, panget naman mga eggs mo."

"Ah, so ayaw mo na akong pakasalan?!"

Migo kisses her. He's grinning. "Gusto. Gustong-gusto. Ngayon na. Magluto ka ng eggs."

Jiya smacks him. "Maghanap ka ng ibang eggs mo! Iinsultuhin mo pa, ah!"

"Valle!" he laughs, following her when she goes downstairs. Kanina pa siya gustom, 'nyeta. "Mahal kita!"

"No!"

*

("Bro, so ano nga 'yong C mo?"

"Bwisit, hindi mo ba ako titigilan?" Inggo snaps, trying to run away from him.

"Alam mo, hindi pa rin kita pinapatawad sa ginawa mo kay Maureen," Migo says thoughtfully.

Inggo grits his teeth. "Fine. My middle name is Casaquite."

"Uy!" Migo laughs. "Aray naman!"

Inggo gives him the middle finger.

Migo follows him, cackling. "Bro, baka ikaw pala mapupunta dito sa hospital. Aray!"

Inggo shoves him. "'Di kita gagawing best man, e."

"Ano sabi mo, gago? Bawiin mo 'yon!")

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

613K 24.8K 117
[Epistolary 𓎩𓐐 Toledo Brothers #2] Private chef si Koa Toledo para sa pamilya ni Dior Bettencourt. Para kay Dior, suplado si Koa, at para kay Koa...
948 68 14
Zhavia, a third year MedTech student, can't start over a new relationship with some other guys whom her friends recommended her for. Reason? Was that...
2M 137K 48
As far as she remembers, she's the obsessed one. Laila does some crazy things while secretly fangirling over the campus semi-cal cutie, Asher James P...
83K 1.5K 85
May mga pagkakataon pala talaga na 'pag tinanong ka kung bakit mo nagawa ang isang bagay, ang maisasagot mo lang ay, "kasi gusto ko, kasi mahal ko."