A Dangerous Gift

By CHudson013

Jada Morales, reeling from a public and humiliating breakup, seeks refuge at a club where she encounters Ryde... More

DISCLAIMER
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 37.2
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Sneek Peek

Chapter 14

26.8K 817 131
By CHudson013

"So, what are we going to see first, the Colosseum, the Parthenon, ooh how about the Ruins?" I suggested as we walked side by side.

"Ah, no Tesoro. That is in Rome, we are in Sicily, the largest island in the Mediterranean," Ryder chuckled.

Geography was never my strong suit. After he paid for the food and judging by the waitress's scream, Ryder had also left a generous tip. She tried giving it back to him, but he had refused, and we left. It felt like we had been walking forever, but I could still see the restaurant in my sight.

I was so excited to be out, that I forgot how exhausted I get so quickly. Maybe walking isn't such a good idea, I thought until I saw some guy performing on the street. He was dressed in a funny costume and painted silver. Glancing over at Ryder I smiled pulling him with me as I made my way over to the statuesque man.

He was standing perfectly still, and I looked to Ryder for answers. Reaching in his back pocket he pulled out his wallet and handed me a note. Motioning for me to toss it in the case, in front of the man, as soon as the money dropped he came to life. Music started playing as he moved in a robotic motion and I couldn't help but smile.

As the music started to slow the man took my hand in his and placed a kiss on it. The music ended but my hand was still in his, as his lips hovered above them. Grabbing my other hand Ryder tried to walk away when I didn't budge.

"I think I'm kind of stuck." I giggled as Ryder glared at the robotic man. "I think he needs more money for me to be free."

Arching a brow, Ryder let out a sigh as he reached in his wallet again and pulled out more money. Tossing it in the case the music started again, and the man placed a kiss on my hand releasing it. As soon as my hand was free Ryder pulled me into his side and wrapped an arm around me in a protective manner.

Ryder started walking away as the Silver man continued his routine. Giggling at how annoyed he was I glanced over my shoulder and the robot man waved goodbye and I did the same. Pulling my hand down Ryder scowled at the man.

"He was saying goodbye. It's rude not to reply."

"He's a scam artist, Tesoro. Really, he could've done anything to get more money, but holding your hand hostage. What would he have done if I didn't have any more money?"

"Well then we would have officially been a couple then, until someone would've put money in." I glanced up at Ryder to see his brows furrowed in anger. "I think I look good in silver," I laughed as Ryder's scowl deepened. Eventually he started laughing with me.

We continued walking the streets, looking at all of the different shops. Every now and then Ryder would stop and tell me different stories about the stores. At one point we walked past a gelato shop and my mouth began to water. Knowing where my hungry belly was leading me Ryder had pulled me into the shop and got me three flavors, because I couldn't decide.

"How do you know so much about this place? I thought you grew up in New York." I asked as I licked the gelato off my spoon.

"And how do you know where I grew up, Jada?" The way he said my name made my stomach flip in knots. It was like the man was trying to seduce me on the street.

How was I going to explain to him that I spent an entire night talking with Dahlia about her brother? I wanted to get to know the father of my baby and make sure that he didn't have any weird genetic things going on. Sure, you keep telling yourself that, my subconscious chimed in.

"Well it's pretty obvious with your American accent, and I thought I heard a hint of a New York accent from your mother. Sounds like Queens, if I'm not mistaken." I put on my best Sherlock Holmes face as I lied through my teeth – thinking about the things that Dahlia told me the other night.

Smirking Ryder shook his head. "If you say so, Tesoro." Leading me down another cobblestoned path I tried very hard not to drop my gelato as I got used to the path. "You're correct I did not grow up here. Born and raised in New York, until I was six. My mother met my father in this city, she was here helping a friend plan my aunt's wedding – Lorenzo's sister. When the wedding was over, he could not bear the thought of her leaving, so he kidnapped us and we lived here for a bit.

Arching a brow, I looked at Ryder. Shaking his head, I knew he knew what I was thinking. Like father, like son. No question about it when they want something, they just take it I guess.

"One thing that Lorenzo did not account for was my mother being so stubborn. She refused to let him take care of us." Pointing to an old light brown brick building, it looked like it could use some serious work. "That is where we stayed for the year and a half that we were stuck here."

"You guys were here for a year and a half ?" I gasped out in shock.

"Yep. Lorenzo was trying to win my mother over."

"And what better way to do it than to hold someone hostage," I joked and saw Ryder trying to fight a smile. "How romantic. You Bandini men sure know how to show women a good time. So did the year and a half work."

"Definitely not," Ryder let out a genuine laugh. "Lorenzo tried everything from flowers to paying her rent. Which did not work, because anyone who knows my mother knows she does not believe in taking handouts. In the end my mother decided to be his friend, which did not go over so well with my father."

"I can believe that." Picturing the stern rugged man from dinner the other night, he seemed like he had always gotten his way. "Your father seems like the type of man who has never heard the word no."

"You're right, Tesoro. My father is not used to hearing the word, no. Women just throw themselves at him, and when my mother used the word friend. My father was devastated. He let my mother and I go back to New York. I was crushed. I had made friends and I had a father figure who actually cared about me."

I could see the sadness in his eyes and knew what he felt. My mother never paid any attention to me and she took away the only family I ever knew. So, all of my life I felt unwanted, until I got to see my aunt and uncle. There was an abundance of love from them.

Leaning in closer to Ryder I tried to console the giant as we continued to walk.

"I didn't speak to my mother for months. I was so angry at her. Even though us going to Italy had been a rough start, it turned out to be a wonderful and amazing place in the eyes of a four-year-old. I thought that we were actually becoming a family and I felt like she ripped that away from me.

Then my sixth birthday rolled around, and my sperm donor promised to show up. He was trying to rekindle things with my mother." He gritted his teeth and clenched his fist tightly around the spoon in his hand. I don't even think he realized that he stopped walking. "I was so desperate, because that year had sucked. No friends to come to the party my mom wanted to throw for me, and hardly got to see my mother since she was always on a job hunt. So, I wanted to believe anything he told me.

I sat around waiting all day for him to show up, and he just didn't. It was in that moment that I realized you can't let everyone into your world because while he didn't show up the man that I call my father did. Lorenzo had remembered my birthday and thought that a phone call was a little too impersonal." Ryder's grip loosened on the spoon and a smile graced his lips again. "He flew thousands of miles just to wish me a happy birthday, even brought me a gift, Blaise. Turns out my best friend had missed me as well."

Ryder started walking again, guiding me across the road to where a group of people were gathered. Continuing to eat his gelato I assumed the story must be over. I didn't have to be a rocket scientist to know how the story ended. It's obvious that Lorenzo's gesture had proved to Alice that she could rely on him. Nothing is more important to a mother, than her child.

I could just picture Ryder on his birthday getting all excited seeing his best friend. It made my heart soar, for the young Ryder. Finally getting what he wanted in life.

"Stepping past the last person I was able to see that we were at some market of sorts. People were selling everything from jewelry to food, it was amazing but what amazed me more was that people approached him, and he was okay with it. It was like he knew everyone. We would walk up to a booth and they would tell Ryder they have an even better product for him, behind the booth.

He would shake his head and tell them that he would purchase what they have on the table. He seemed really at home here. At one point he went to one booth and picked up some apples and started juggling. Getting a round of applause he took a bite of one of the apples and paid the elderly woman working at the booth, but not before getting a bouquet of flowers and giving the woman a kiss on the cheek.

Noticing the blush spread up her cheeks, it sounded like she was scolding Ryder. Guiding me away from the booth he started walking backwards and spoke in Italian with an arrogant smirk on his face. Placing his hands on his chest—over his heart—pretending that he was wounded.

"One of your many admirers," I asked arching a brow playfully.

"Yes, Lucia still has a thing for me, but I had to let her know that I am an engaged man, and we can no longer see each other." He joked while grabbing one of the roses out of the bouquet he broke off the stem. Stopping me from walking he turned me, so I was facing him. His eyes held mine and all of the playfulness seemed to leave the atmosphere. "As you can tell she did not take it well, but I told her even though it broke my heart I only have eyes for one woman."

Lifting the hand with the rose he pushed my hair back slightly, placing the rose behind my ear. "And she's beautiful."

I fought the urge to fan myself. Did the sun come out or what? Dahlia should've never given me this jacket.

Feeling the air become thick with tension. I tried a joke. "So, is she going to be another woman scorned by you? Do I have to watch my back?"

"Nah," glancing over his shoulder he smirked. "I think her husband and four grandchildren will keep her busy."

Taking my hand in his he led me through the market again. Feigning a gasp, I gave him my best shocked look. "Sir, please tell me that you were not involved with a married woman?"

"Sadly, Tesoro the heart wants what it wants, and was calling out to Lucia, the sixty-five-year-old produce vendor."

He had the most serious look on his face. I almost thought he was serious, until I saw the corner of his mouth twitch. Laughing, I nudged Ryder with my shoulder.

"So how do you really know her?" I was curious as to why he was so comfortable around these people. Even at the restaurant I noticed how he was checking out his surroundings while we were there, but not here. Here I don't think he had a care in the world.

"When my mother and I lived here, she learned of this market. Would come here when I got out of school and sell some of her paintings." He smiled wistfully. "This was my world to play make believe here and get to know a lot of people. What about you?"

"What about me?"

"I've spent the whole day talking about me. What is there to the mysterious Jada, who is a nurse by day and bartends by night."

I laughed as he wiggled his eyebrows.

"There is nothing mysterious about me, and I am not a nurse, yet." Hopefully when I get back to New York I will be able to get back on track and pass this semester.

"Tell me about your family then. You know everything about mine." My smile fell, talking about family for me is a sore subject. Noticing my demeanor change Ryder, spoke again. "Let's start simple. Did you have any pets growing up?"

"I wasn't allowed to have a pet. According to my mother it was too much maintenance," I shrugged nonchalantly. "But I did find a turtle once and kept it in my room, unknown to anyone. I called him Marvin because he liked to take it slow." I giggled at my inside joke of Marvin Gaye.

When I had found Marvin, I had been listening to that song by Meghan Trainor and Charlie Puth. It seemed very fitting at the time. Loved that turtle very much, he was my best friend, until my mother found him.

"So, how long did you have him for," Ryder asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"I had him for six months before my mother found him in my room and let him swim down the stream in our backyard."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"That's okay, he needed to be in the wild anyway. Even though he was a slow-moving turtle, his soul was wild and fast." Furrowing his brows Ryder gave me a bewildered look. "I could see it in his eyes, we were like kindred spirits."

Chuckling Ryder asked me another question. "So, what made you want to be a nurse?"

"My mother actually. Before she met my father, she was going to school to be a nurse. After she met him, they moved to Columbia and she never finished school, but I will tell you she was a wizard at stitching the ears back on my bears."

"I thought your mother lived in New York her whole life. I didn't know that Robert Morales was from South America."

Realizing I said too much I bit my lip nervously. Crap. No one was supposed to know about my aunt and uncle, but there was just something about talking to Ryder that made me feel like I can tell him anything. I never even told Luke about my aunt and uncle, and here I am telling the guy who kidnapped me about them. Shit I must have Stockholm syndrome.

I needed to think of something quick but knowing Ryder he would probably dig and dig until he found something. That wouldn't be good for him, or my family. The last thing I want is for my uncle to know someone is looking into him.

"I technically wasn't raised by my mother and Robert." Ryder gave me a look like he wanted me to elaborate. "I was raised by my mother's sister and her husband – my aunt and uncle. I technically consider them as my parents since I was with them for over half of my life, before my biological mom came and blew up my whole world."

"So, your mother and father came and decided to raise the daughter that they abandoned."

"Robert Morales is not my father." It said with distaste. "I actually don't know who my father is, all I know is that he was a gardener who worked at the Senator's mansion. Trust me Robert never let's me forget that he's not my father." I state sadly.

"Well you don't want to be related to him anyway. I actually met him once, I honestly don't know how he passed the bar, let alone became Senator. Guy is an idiot."

Smiling at Ryder we continued to walk until a woman started calling out to Ryder. She waved her hands to get his attention. Turning around Ryder guided me to where the middle-aged woman was sitting. Another girl was standing behind the booth with her selling beautiful silk scarves.

Coming from behind the boot the middle-aged woman hugged Ryder and kissed both of his cheeks excitedly. Talking to him in rapid Italian I could barely keep up with whatever she said, but just as she neared the end of the conversation, I heard the word compleanno.

Crossing my fingers, I hoped that this word meant the same thing as it did in Spanish. I didn't want to embarrass myself again like I did a few days ago.

"Did she just say something about a birthday?"

I could see Ryder's cheeks turn a bright shade of pink. Who knew Ryder Young—excuse me Bandini, could blush? Maybe he's not a robot. Before Ryder could answer my question, the woman came back with a small gift wrapped in red paper with confetti on it.

Glancing at me, the woman finally saw me standing next to Ryder. She looked shocked at first, then a giant smile spread across her face. Setting the present down on the table she took my hands in hers and started firing questions off at me in Italian. Looking to Ryder for help, he smiled.

"Giulia, non parla italiano." (Giulia, she doesn't speak Italian). Ryder spoke softly to the woman.

"Excuse me, I am so sorry." The woman said. "I just assumed you're very beautiful. How do you know my little Ryder?"

"Umm.. We met back in New York." I felt awkward answering these questions. I had no idea who she was.

"I don't mean to make you nervous my dear. My name is Giulia. His mother used to sell her paintings at my booth. Very talented woman. I've known Ryder since he was this big." She lowered her hand very close to the ground. "He was very small for his age." She laughed as Ryder blushed some more. "Now he's a lot bigger," she stated looking up at a tall Ryder who towered over both of us. "24 years later and you're taller than me, which reminds me I got you something for your birthday. I know it was a few months ago, but it's been so long since you and Blaise have come to the market. You both have grown to be very handsome young men."

"Blaise is here," Ryder asked looking around the market.

"Yes, he's here with the frizzy haired girl, he is very smitten with, following her through here like a puppy dog." She laughed. "Now stop trying to change the subject and open your gift." Pushing the gist into Ryder's hands she leaned over next to me. "The boy has always been stubborn about his birthday, never liked celebrating it."

Opening the box Ryder pulled out a gold chain with two bands around them. It was beautiful and shined bright in the sun.

"It's called the twin flame necklace. I don't know why but I was walking past this jewelry store and I thought it would be a perfect gift for you. I hope you like it."

"It's beautiful Giulia thank you."

"So how did you spend your birthday?"

"I actually decided to bring Jada here to Italy. A way of celebrating me finding out I'm going to be a father."

The night Ryder kidnapped me was his birthday. How did I not know this? Maybe because you were too busy getting kidnapped. My subconscious yelled holding up a big red flag. Well that must've been an interesting birthday for him. From killing a man to kidnapping his baby's mother.

Giulia looked so excited, as her pearly whites started to show. "The two of you are having a baby. This is the perfect blessing." She placed her hands on my stomach and the baby began to kick. "She will be fierce just like her mother."

How the hell did she know that I'm having a girl. I looked to Ryder with wide eyes, and he just sat there with a stupid smirk on his face.

"Don't look so shocked dear. It's a blessing and a curse." Turning back to her booth she pulled out a smaller box. "I also have a gift for Blaise. Please give this to him when you see him. I've got to go, I have a business to run. The two of you try to enjoy the rest of the day." Reaching behind her booth, she handed me two boxes, one was wrapped with a bow the other she opened which held a necklace that had a black stone on it.

"This one is for you!" She smiled.

Holding it up to the light I didn't understand why she gave me this beautiful piece of jewelry, she didn't even know me. The black jewel shined in the light and I could almost see my reflection in it.

"It's beautiful, thank you." I spoke as Ryder held out his hand for the necklace.

Handing him the necklace he helped put it around my neck. Holding up my hair I listened as Giulia spoke.

The crystal is obsidian. It is supposed to protect you from physical and emotional harm." She smiled gingerly and went back to work.

Ryder finished putting the necklace on and started to guide me through the market again. Odd why would she give me this as a gift?

Touching the crystal around my neck I couldn't help but feel as if Giulia wasn't telling us something. Walking through the market I got the same feeling I got when we were in the furniture store as if someone was watching us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

408K 6.8K 57
BOOK ONE : Desires Series In public I'm his queen,his dearest wife;in bed I'm his most obedient slut;the one he pleasures every night and in the morn...
169K 4.3K 61
Octavius Martinez, a ruthless, smart, arrogant, demanding, and controlling. Secretly ruling an Italian mafia and every girl's dream man, he's known b...
662K 29.6K 57
Shorter chapters so don't let the amount of chapters keep you from starting this story. Joey Lattire was offered to a man at a young age. Knowing...
476K 34K 105
đź’ž A brand new completed story! Short chapters! Completed January 5, 2020. *Still in rough draft form* She was her best friend, her rock and favorit...