Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Vo...

By ceciliatan

In Daron's life, it's 1989, his band Moondog Three is starting to take off, and although the closet door is o... More

206 BEHIND THE WALL OF SLEEP
207 ROCK ME AMADEUS
208 TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS
209 TV PARTY
210 DEADBEAT CLUB
211 LIPS LIKE SUGAR
212 MEN AT WORK
213 GET DOWN TONIGHT
214 KISS ON MY LIST
215 JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH
216 RHYTHM AND BOOZE
217 WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN
218 TRUST
219 HOLIDAY ON THE MOON
221 PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE
222 I WILL FOLLOW
223 LIVING COLOUR
224 BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG
225 WOULD I LIE TO YOU?
226 TERRIBLE LIE
227 KNOCK ME DOWN
228 HANGING ON THE TELEPHONE
229 DELIRIOUS
230 EVERYBODY WANTS YOU
231 THE WALLS CAME DOWN
232 NEW GOLD DREAM
233 LET THE DAY BEGIN
234 CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE
235 FANTASY
236 PICTURES OF YOU
237 DO YOU WANT TO TOUCH?
238 DEVIL INSIDE
239 THE HEAT IS ON
240 MIRROR PEOPLE
241 BEHIND THE SUN
242 SOMEONE SOMEWHERE IN SUMMERTIME
243 SENSES WORKING OVERTIME
244 TENDERNESS
245 SOWING THE SEEDS
246 MYSTIFY
247 ME AND MY FRIENDS
248 ENJOY THE SILENCE
249 FASCINATION STREET
250 I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT
251 PHOTOGRAPH
252 TO BE A LOVER
253 PARADISE CITY
254 HAVEN'T WE BEEN HERE BEFORE?
255 LAWYERS, GUNS, AND MONEY
256 MAD WORLD
257 EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES
258 RIGHT BY YOUR SIDE
259 PALE SHELTER
260 POLICY OF TRUTH
261 SULTANS OF SWING
262 SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE
263 DESIRE
264 CUTS YOU UP
265 WEST L.A. FADEWAY
266 JUST WHAT I NEEDED
267 HIGHWAY TO HELL
268 Walk of Life
269 SMALL BLUE THING
270 ROCK ME TONIGHT
271 SOME LIKE IT HOT
272 GHOST IN YOU
273 QUESTION OF TIME
274 SAVE IT FOR LATER
275 ALTERED IMAGES
276 THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
277 MASTER OF PUPPETS
278 LONELY IS THE NIGHT
279 BAD MEDICINE
280 SHOUT (AT THE DEVIL)
281 POOR POOR PITIFUL ME
282 CLAMPDOWN
283 STOP
284 WHERE IS MY MIND?
285 SOMETHING SO STRONG
286 SAD SONGS (SAY SO MUCH)
287 IS THERE SOMETHING I SHOULD KNOW?
288 WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
289 LOVE VIGILANTES
Ch 290 THE WHOLE OF THE MOON
291 I'M AN ADULT NOW
292 GOODY TWO SHOES
293 CLASSIC GIRL
294 KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF
295 All Night Long
296 POP MUZIK
297 SHIP OF FOOLS
298 WILD BOYS
299 STRIPPED
300 EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN
301 DEEPER AND DEEPER
302 REALLY SAYING SOMETHING
303 DEBASER
304 I WON'T BACK DOWN
305 BALL OF CONFUSION
306 IN THE AIR TONIGHT
307 ALIVE AND KICKING
308 POLICY OF TRUTH
309 WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS?
310 REFUGEE
311 STAND BACK
312 DON'T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME
313 DIZZY
314 NEVER LET ME DOWN AGAIN
315 DON'T GET ME WRONG
316 MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN
317 TELL THAT GIRL TO SHUT UP
318 ADDICTED TO LOVE
Liner Note 21
Liner Note 22
Daron's Story Continues...
FLASHBACK: ROCK THIS TOWN
Liner Note 23
LINER NOTE #28 (Part 1)
Liner Note 28, Part 2
LINER NOTE: WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
LINER NOTE #32

220 PRETTY PERSUASION

298 29 4
By ceciliatan

PRETTY PERSUASION

I was sitting crosslegged on the crappy shag carpet in the basement when the phone rang. The cordless phone had a kind of shrill yet anemic sound to it. Incentive to answer as quickly as possible. “Moondog HQ, can I help you?”

“Jeez, where have you been? And did you know it was me or do you always answer the phone like that?”

“I figured it was you or a telemarketer,” I told Carynne. “And I’ve been at the Sheraton fucking Jonathan McCabe’s brains out. Go on, tell me it was a bad idea.”

She snorted into the phone. “Unless he turns out to be a) psycho or b) blackmailable, that’s a terrific idea,” she said. “Well? Is he psycho?”

“No. He’s remarkably sane. But you don’t think it was a bad idea to sleep with a member of the media?”

“Not one like him, anyway.”

“Like him?”

“I.e. he’s not a muckraker, not a celebrity himself like a veejay or something, not a full-time employee somewhere and therefore not about to get fired if anyone finds out. Not a golddigger.”

I thought about how I’d paid his bill, how Jonathan would have gladly spent hundreds of dollars out of pocket just to see me. But I argued anyway because I wondered why she thought that. “How do you know he’s not a golddigger?”

“His family’s got money. He told me in DC. They floated him until he started getting enough gigs to pay his own bills. I was asking him about student loans and can you believe the motherfucker didn’t have any? Shit. I’m going to be paying mine off for years.”

“Oh, come on. No you’re not. We’re going to make enough to clear them. Aren’t we?”

“Well, maybe. I hate counting chickens before they’re hatched, you know?”

“Maybe we oughtta be paying you more, then,” I said. “Maybe you ought to be taking Digger’s share, too.”

There was silence at the other end of the phone. I wondered for a second if we’d gotten disconnected, but then I heard the sound of a siren. An ambulance or firetruck must have been driving past her apartment.

“I’m serious, Car’. Remember what we talked about in San Fran?”

“Yeah.” She was silent again for a bit. Then, “I’m not ready to take over in July though.”

“You read my mind!”

“Your mind is easy to read, Daron! Haven’t you been obsessing over the whole July first thing for weeks now?”

What was funny was I had put it out of my mind for quite a while, but last night it had resurfaced. I guess some part of me was gnawing that bone in the background all the time. “Yeah,” I said.

“I’ve been thinking. The middle of a tour is a crappy time for a management change anyway. And does Mills know that Digger was only on a six month contract?”

“No. We didn’t want him to think he could ignore Digger because he’d be out of the picture soon.”

“I think you’ve got to at least extend the status quo until we get off the road.”

“When’s that again?”

“Are you pulling my leg? Or are you really not paying attention? First show’s on June fourteenth. You’ve got four dates as headliner and then we hook up with Megaton for ten shows, and then you headline a de facto best-of-alternative lineup–”

“I know, I know that. I just don’t remember the exact dates.”

“The last show’s at Great Woods. On July 25th.”

“So if I just extend his contract until August fifth, we’re only stuck with him an extra month.”

“Don’t joke like that, Daron. If you tell him you’re going to can him as soon as it’s over…”

“You’re right. Bad plan. So what should I do?”

“Tell him you’re re-upping him for another six months, that the band voted or something. Just make sure that contract has the clause in it where you can fire him.”

“I’m pretty sure the contract says we need a reason, though.”

“Playing fast and loose with band money before isn’t enough of a reason?”

I was sure Digger hadn’t left himself quite so vulnerable. “It’d look pretty bad, though, if we fire him in later for something that I knew about back in April, and he sues us for wrongful termination, and the judge asks, ‘why’d you take so long to get rid of him if that’s the reason?’ What do we say then?”

“I dunno. He’ll probably have done something else to warrant getting fired by then, though, don’t you think?”

“If we’re so sure he’s going to do something bad enough to warrant firing, we’re keeping him… why?”

“Because we can’t handle Mills without him and you’re going to be ON THE ROAD when his contract’s up, remember?”

“Right. Fuck.” I rubbed my eyes. The interrupted sleep was starting to catch up with me.

“Listen to me, Daron. I know you hate his guts because he’s a sucky Dad, but…”

“I don’t hate his guts.”

“You don’t?”

“That’s a little strong, don’t you think?” Maybe it was true, but somehow hearing someone else say it rubbed me the wrong way.

“Whatever. Look. He’s not my favorite person either. I’m just saying… don’t fire him in the middle of the tour, all right?”

“All right. You coming to rehearsal tomorrow?”

“Yeah. I want to have a look at Ziggy. Then I’ll leave you guys alone. I’m going to be sick to death of these songs by August.”

“No, you won’t,” I said, though what did I know? She might be right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 64K 47
[ boy x boy ] Ethan Ryder wasn't planning on moving to a new town just before starting his final year at high school. He wasn't planning on leaving...
28.1K 1.5K 22
**Threequel to New** Will Evans decided to turn a new leaf, wipe the slate clean and start anew. Will Evans decided to make some changes. Now, Will E...
98.6K 4.5K 34
Only a few months after his dad's death, Daniel decides to leave his hometown to study in an art school at countryside. New ambience would surely hel...
26.8K 1.3K 32
(Sequel to Above Water) A summer fling turned into the worst possible case of ghosting Thomas had ever seen. When he first met Dallas two years pri...