The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburðarsonr

Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings

489 18 6
By Skipology

Khaana carried Uhtred into town, "hold your head up high," She instructed him. Uhtred smirked, "are we putting on a show?" Uhtred asked her. "Yes, This woman could be anywhere here, you've never seen her. You're the son of lord Uhtred, they might not treat you like it but she will see it." Khaana thought to him, "Now, sit up straight and head high." she said.

"I will gift the mare to my new bride, that should keep you close for a time," Uhtred said. "I will round up one similar for when I must leave" Khaana huffed "for my own wedding, whenever it may be," she said.

Uhtred did as instructed and tried not to laugh as Khaana fixed her gait to be showier, holding her own head higher as they came through the city gates. It was still very early and the sky was thick with dark clouds which sprinkled snow lightly across the land. Leofric warmed his hands near a fire brazier, spotting Uhtred and Khaana he went to them, giving Khaana a pat on her neck, "you were up to no good this morning, saw Young Odda leave with you only to come back on Uhtred's horse covered in dirt and snow." Leofric chuckled.

Khaana flung her head up and down with a whinny. "She says it was hilarious, and it was," Uhtred said dismounting. He and Leofric glanced around "It's clear." said Uhtred, and before their eyes, Khaana was a woman once more, she straightened out her tunic and Leofric passed her a shawl for warmth. "It's freezing out here." She breathed.

"The cold is the least of my worries, I have not yet been allowed to see this woman..." Uhtred murmured, Leofric gave him a hard pat on the back "It is the way." he stated simply, Uhtred glanced at him, he wasn't sure whose way it was but it certainly wasn't his way, "I didn't even know of her or her name until today." Uhtred said, letting Leofric lead them towards the chappel.

"Will she be plain and Pious?" Uhtred asked quickly, Khaana laughed quietly, and Uhtred looked to her worried, "Oh she'll be pious, alright." Hummed Leofric, "If she was a leg spreader, Alfred would have been on her already." He said with a smirk. "No doubt he's tried nonetheless, I'm sure," Khaana murmured.

"Have you seen her?" Uhtred asked Leofric, "from some distance," Leofric said teetering his head, "Plain is a fair description." He said quickly. "They're trying to Bribe him, she'd ought to be a sight more than plain, don't you think?" Khaana asked as they made their way through the keep. "it was some distance away, its just my personal opinion." Leofric said, "How much was the bride price?" He asked.

"thirty-three pieces of silver. Already paid to her godfather Odda the Elder, which I will make sure she receives." Uhtred said, Khaana gave a cheeky smile, "You want me to ask a swords weight for mine?" She asked, Uhtred chuckled, "if you can get away with it, yes." He said. Uhtred gave a heavy sigh as they came to a stop in the courtyard. 

"But I've made promises," Uhtred said looking between Khaana and Leofric, "Revenge and such," he murmured. "Why are you here?" Leofric asked, "Do you know?" 

Uhtred looked out among the cold flowers and herbs in the yard, "my new bride will bring land. I will become a lord under Alfred,  I will be able to make wealth and gather men." Uhtred spoke as if he had rehearsed his reasons in his head a thousand times. And he very well had, to get him through most nights, as he had risked too much already. "and then take back what's mine." He breathed.

Leofric gave an approving nod, "all reasons enough," He mused  peering down at Uhtred, "Plain or not she will serve her purpose." Uhtred exhaled. Leofric took a step closer, "The promises you made will stand." He said to Uhtred, the overgrown warrior's tone lending something kinder in it. "Blood feuds last a lifetime," he said lightly tapping Uhtred on the chest, "what you do Arsling, is live every day until the last."

Uhtred looked up at Leofric who gave him a firm nod. Khaana watched the two of them quietly, sizing up Leofric, she had not been convinced of his motives with Uhtred, but there was honesty in his eyes "Maybe it is safe enough to say he can be trusted with him." Khaana thought.

Glancing up Leofric caught Khaana's eye, she quickly looked away and cleared her throat, "you two and your sentiments will make the pup late for his big day. " she murmured.  Uhtred cracked a smile and leaning over kissed Khaana on the cheek. "You ready to give me away?" he teased. "I can hardly wait...she can deal with your foolishness from here on." Khaana hummed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the church, Uhtred stood nervously beside Khaana normally he would have protested against her gently rubbing circles on his back in public but had she spot he was afraid he was going to retch. He dared not look at her for he knew there was a large amused smirk across her face, and what worse he could almost feel Leofric sniggering from his place beside her. "Breath Osbert, you've nothing to fear. Alfred is a proud man, for as much snake as he can be. I'm sure he picked out a good girl." Khaana thought to him.

Uhtred looked to her "You think?" his eyes read.

"The bride has arrived!" Beocca announced bursting through the doors, "Thank god," he murmured glancing at the antsy Uhtred. "Try to make yourself look presentable...is not entirely clean." He grumbled looking up at Leofric. "How does she look?" Uhtred asked quickly, "Terrified, I bet." Leofric answered just as quickly. Khaana sighed, pointing her elbows out she jabbed both men in the side. "what?" Uhtred hissed, "well it's true." said Leofric. Khaana rolled her eyes, "behave yourselves." she said in a soft whisper. The two men stood a little taller at the sound of the doors opening again behind them.

Odda the Elder entered in first, behind him the bride cloaked in a simple grey hood with his face well hidden, and behind her Young Odda who looked so somber, one would have thought it was a funeral.  They each took their places across from Uhtred and company in a line.

"If you could make brief the ceremony, father, I would be grateful," said Odda the Elder, he glanced between Uhtred and Khaana. "I have a meeting with the King." He added. Beocca gave a thoughtful nod.

"The bride has been given her price?" Uhtred asked, Odda the elder frowned "She will be." He said, giving a nod to his son. Young Odda rolled his eyes subtly and passed a dark coin pouch to the bride. She took it with timid almost trembling fingers. Khaana almost pitied the girl, it was clear though she was afraid she had no idea what she was truly getting herself into.

"and you are witnesses" Odda the elder said, "Thank you lord," the bride peeped. "

"If the betrothed couple would like to join me at the altar, and join hands. be brief," Beocca called. The bride moved first and Uhtred a skipped beat later. As he moved to stand before the bride, she removed her hood, vibrant auburn hair modestly adorned with a pale blue ribbon grasped Uhtred's eye. The Bride looked up into his face, unsure of his reaction as his eye grew large. She was nearly as white as the snow with roses cheek from the cold, deep dark eyes and an innocent face. She was plain in that she was simple, not heavily adorned or made up but naturally pretty. And Uhtred was taken.

Khaana tried her best to mask her smirk as the girl began to smile, realizing that Uhtred was suddenly over the moon and stricken by her. Odda the Elder gave a faint smile of his own as he watched Uhtred turn into a great big puddle, melting at the sight of her. Bride and groom joined hands, "May God in his heaven look down and with all his mercy upon his devoted servants, Uhtred and Mildrith. "May he bless their union with love, children, and wealth. And in turn, might they give him thanks and their praises, living each day in accordance to his holy word. Amen." said Beocca. 

"Amen" echoed the bride "Amen" said Uhtred with a faint smile. Mildreth however struggled now to look up at him, her brows lightly knitted together with worry. "you ar enow joined as man and wife in the eyes of God." said Beocca., but the rest of the room remained silent as the bride bowed her head and began to weep. Uhtred looked to Beocca slightly panicked, "tears of joy." Beocca reassured him. Khaana held back a frown and looked to Odda the younger who refused to meet her gaze from across the room. Her eyes narrowed in suspicion before slipping out of the room quietly, she now had a role to play and needed to shift forms and meet Uhtred by the horses.

Once the ceremony was other, Uhtred and Mildrith went to make ready the horses for travel, "A gift from your husband," Beocca said leading a large black mare towards her. Mildrith gave a faint smile, "she's beautiful." said Mildrith, petting the horse on the nose. "Ok let's play nice," Khaana told herself, she gave the girl a comforting nudge and let her feel her mane. "You must have cost a fortune..." Mildrith murmured to Khaana, "you're so shinny," she said.

Khaana stood still and very bored as the girl struggled to place a sheep's skin and addle on her. As it was she dwarfed the tiny woman. "say something, the silence it is brutal." Khaana thought to Uhtred as he readied his own horse, returned to him by young Odda.  Uhtred turned to look at Mildrith and thought for a moment,  as he watched her struggle, "allow me to help you with that, she is a bit of a giantess." He said going to her.. Uhtred started to fix the saddle for Mildrith, "thank you, lord," she said with a hint of a smile, "thank you for her, it is a very lovely horse. I will be kind to her." Mildrith added. 

Uhtred flashed her a charming smile," I am a very lucky man," He said, once the saddle was on and secure he went to the horse which was to carry their things back to their land. "to have such a beautiful wife, the least I can do is a small gift." Uhtred said. "ham." Khaana teased. "I am sure there were many suitors," Uhtred said. Mildrith gave a bashful smile, shying away and nervously petting Khaana's mane. "You would be kind to believe so," she said. 

Uhtred smirked, he was having fun making the girl blush, it was new to him. Brida was stronger against his charm, and while he loved that strength it was interesting making Mildrith so weak in the knees. "Am I right?" He asked going back to her he gave Khaana's snout a pet. "the two of you have no concept of personal space." Khaana complained, making Uhtred's smile grow.

Mildrith blushed and lowered her head, peering up at Uhtred shyly, "None that were suitable, lord." she said. Khaana laughed inwardly at the girl's attempt to flirt, Uhtred moved closer to her and both combed at Khaana's mane. "My name is Uhtred, you may call me Uhtred," he said to her gently. 

"Arsling!" Leofric called, yes it had seemed everyone forgot he was there, "Come on, it's time we are on our way." he said. Uhtred smirked and shrugged slightly, "Or from time to time you may wish to call me Arsling." he said. Mildrith gave a giggle and went to climb onto Khaana's back. It was a struggle and Khaana tried her best to aid the girl and not move too much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a long ride to the couple's new home, Luckily Mildrith was light and the trail to get there was well worn through the woods. For the most part, all was quiet, almost painfully so. Uhtred and Leofric ridding ahead of Khaana and the packhorse.

Out of the corner of Khaana's eye, she could spot a small company of riders tailing them from the side, their shields boasting familiar colors. "Uhtred..." Khaana thought to him.  "Lord..." Leofric called as well as ahead of those that tailed them were a group of five more "Danes." Leofric exhaled. "I see," Uhtred said quietly, watching carefully as the warriors  behind them now joined the smaller cluster and stopped. "why have we stopped? H-who are they?" Mildrith stammered, clutching the reins. 

Leofric glanced back at Mildrith "Foragers most likely. but Danes all the same." He said calmly, he did not wish to pick her. Khaana' ear lay flat against her head as she studied the men, she had seen Foragers, and these men did not look the part. But Mildrith was new to this and maybe she would not notice. "Will they attack?" She asked, giving Khaana's neck a pat, trying to soothe the horse which was obviously unhappy about the new tagalongs.

Uhtred who had been quietly observing the group of Danes, instructed his horse to move forward, "we walk on." he said, with his words Khaana and Leofric followed him, the packhorse tethered to Khaana being guided along. However, as the group moved so did the Danes. Keeping up with them at an easy pace.

"They're following us," Mildrith stated, unable to keep her eyes off of them. "We walk on. They won't attack." Uhtred reassured pulling free his sword. "Then why do you draw your blade?" Mildrith asked quickly, "To show them at least one of them will die." Uhtred said, holding the sword at his side for the Danes to see. Leofric too unsheathed his sword, resting it on his shoulder "One or two." he added.

"They are deep into Wessex, for foragers. too close to the city of Winchester..." Leofric said quietly. "they are Guthrum's men." Uhtred stated a grimace on his face. "and they are a long way from Lundene."

Back in Winchester, Alfred waited in his study for Odda the elder, while reading over his retelling of history on a fresh piece of parchment roll he found himself weighing interesting options on how to tether Khaana to Wessex. "Aethelwold though insufferable will serve as a good fallback plan. There is a chance a marriage to a woman older than him, may help him grow up. But Khaana could also make him dangerous." Alfred thought, gazing blankly at the paper. "Young Odda, is vitally loyal but...Khaana might eat that poor boy alive, he isn't strong enough yet...." Alfred thought with a sigh, "and then...there is Leofric." he whispered.

"Lord, The marriage ceremony had taken place and they are now on the way to the farmstead," Odda reported entering the room. Alfred gave a nod "That is good news, thank you Odda." he said. But Odda the Elder looked pensive, "we shall now see how he responds to the challenge." said Alfred. 

 "Now that it is done, I do worry for Mildrith." He confessed. "She will have to tell him the facts." Odda sighed. "Oh, he will bark at her Odda. I'm sure." Alfred said, his calm never leaving him as he walked around his table towards Odda. "But his real anger will be held for you and I." He reasoned. "He will not like being beholden to God and King, but if he is to become a true alderman," Alfred explained stopping before Odda, "He must accept his burden, and that is the test," said Alfred.

Odda still didn't seem pleased by it all, even still he quietly murmured "yes lord." A pleased smirk came to Alfred's face, "Mildrith is his beautiful consolation." Alfred said almost cheekily. "Tell me was he stricken by her?" Alfred asked. "Yes, Lord. He was," replied Odda. Alfred gave another pleased nod and Odda could tell his mind was scheming again.  

"I would like to propose we wait on the union of Young Odda and the herald," Alfred announced going through his papers. "Lord?" Odda the elder asked in confusion. "It may be too much seeing two that you raise paired off already. I know you are yet to be fully content with Mildriths new situation. A new prospect has arrived for the task of testing Khaana, one that I had not expected." Alfred said, his eyes briefly flickering to Odda, he offered him a light smile. 

"Speaking of the Herald...where is she? Aelswith has been calling for her all morning, so one had seen her?" asked Alfred. "She was at the ceremony, slipped out early no one has seen her since... the girl...Eadgyth said something about her wandering out to seek counsel with God in the wilderness...that the city was too noisy." Odda reported.

"ah, right." Alfred murmured, "then be sure the queen is notified upon the Heralds return." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noon settled over the land, Khaana guided Mildrith along the path as Uhtred's side. Guthrums men had gone their separate way but Khaana's nerves were still on edge. She did not fear Guthrum, as odd as it was to say she trusted him more than most. That did little to change a well-known fact, where Guthrum was, Ubba was not far behind him. That was her worry.

Her ears turned about the top of her head as she listened to the world around them, Uhtred and Mildrith had long calmed down and talked peacefully to one another. The small talk was quickly fading into an interrogation, however.

"How come you have not already married, you are old enough to have had two or three children by now?" asked Uhtred. Mildriths face twisted a bit in displeasure.  Leofric puffed and side glanced from behind the two, something told him he was going to get stuck watching an awkward situation one way or another. "Lord Arsling, there is a time and place for such questions and they both have passed!" called Leofric.

"Why has Alfred gifted me such a beautiful bride?" Uhtred asked over him.

"Because he is Alfred." Khaana murmured. "that is not good enough, we know he is alfred, I want to know his plans." Uhtred thought back to her sharply.

The scowl on Mildrith's face was ever-growing, and her cheeks puffed up with indignation. "There is a debt I am guessing?" Uhtred asked her. "It is not my place to tell you." was Mildriths short reply. "How much?" Uhtred asked, Mildrith took a deep breath and exhaled, "My father wanted to find favor with God. So he set out and devoted a tenth of his land to the church, they do not own it but they are entitled to its yield." The girl gave a bitter laugh, "Indeed they demand its yield, even when crops fail and Danes raid..." she sighed.

"God is good," Uhtred murmured his gaze fixed to the distance as they came to a halt. Mildrith look down at her hands, "The bishop took my father to law." she said. Uhtred was grinding his teeth by now, "how much is the debt," he asked again calmly. "The church is the law, and the law decreed,  that my father owned them a large sum....well beyond his ability to pay." Mildrith explained, looking to Uhtred. 

Khaana moved restlessly, the story alone was making her want to set fire to the whole hierarchy of Wessex. "and they wonder why the pagans are happy to remain pagan. They don't have to worry about coin-hungry men robbing them blind in the name of a God..." Khaana thought in a hiss. "Mortals are always the death of a divine, no one will know how good or evil one truly is because the image will always be twisted to fit human want, not human need." She thought to Uhtred.

"How much?" Uhtred asked again. "Be kind, osbert. It is not her fault." Khaana warned.

"He died soon after...." Mildrith murmured, looking up she gave Uhtred an apologetic gaze, "it is a substantial amount lord, which increases yearly...I'm afraid." she confessed. Uhtred watched her with a strained expression, he wanted to shout his question another ten times. While it was obvious Mildrith was stalling for fear and trying to lessen his anger, it wasn't helping. "Alfred could have the debt removed, but has chosen not to," said Mildrith.

"Poncy little niggling bastard..." Khaana thought, puffing hot hair off her nose and pawing her hoof at the ground.

Mildrith took a deep breath, "the amount owed is 2,000 Shillings, lord." she said. Khaana let out a loud whinny,  both Uhtred and Leofric drawing in sharp breaths, and shortly after Leofric began to chuckle as Uhtred watched Mildrith dumbfounded. "damn him." Uhtred said softly, fidgeting in his saddle trying to control a building rage. 

"Damn everything he stands for, Damn his church," Uhtred cursed voice getting louder as he vented.

"Lord, I must say I-"

"Damn his God!" Uhtred belted over Mildrith. "I do not like your blasphemy!" Mildrith cried out.

"My name is Uhtred!" He shouted. a silence settled over the group as Mildrith looked down at her hands. "But by all means call me Arsling for not seeing this sooner," Uhtred murmured, leading his horse to continue on. Khaana guided Mildrith, lingering a bit behind Uhtred. She had nothing to say, that wasn't kind. But then 2,000 shillings was not kind either. "And this is why I need to rid this world of this bloodline, his kin took my wings and now Alfred seeks to bind Uhtred to him until he is no longer useful. It needs to be washed away." Khaana thought to herself. 

"what am I going to do now?" Uhtred thought to Khaana as the ride to the farmstead was now painfully quiet. "You are married, pup. You will grin like a fool and learn to be miserably happy until the day we can take Alfred's throat." Khaana thought back. "But what you will remember, is that this is just a foolish little girl, who lost her father, and is forced to do as she is told by men who have sold their soul to a self-righteous devil who believes he is good and justified. You will learn to be kind to her." Khaana advised.

Uhtred let out a soft bitter chuckle, "You aren't the one who owes 2,000 shillings." He thought. "The hell I am not, what do you think Alfred is going to propose to me when next I see him? Hmm? A way to lessen your burden, you know it. I'll be some kind of servitude to the church or to his cause of becoming king. No doubt something that will make me want to put him in the ground. Which for you I can not... not yet." Khaana thought back, she then sighed, "We will find a way to dampen his plans...to at least lessen the debt." Khaana murmured.

"If I have to feign damnation upon Wessex to do so..." Khaana thought to herself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sigh of relief was left from everyone as Lyscombe was finally reached. The farmstead sat upon a generous amount of land, but it had truly seen better days. workers and tenents came scurrying out to greet the Bride and her new husband. 

"The land is good but the Buildings are in need of some repair," Mildrith said to Uhtred bringing the horses to a stop and dismounting. "Look the families who live on the land have come to welcome us with well wishes!" Mildrith cheered happily, while Uhtred's face was still twisted into a soft sour frown. "Send them back to their homes," he grumbled.

Mildrith scowled at Uhtred, "they have come to wish us well," she spoke slowly, "I have lived with these people, known them all my life." she added.

"Lord...Lady!" called a large man with a warm smile as he headed towards the newlyweds. "Oswald manages the farmstead, he lives nearby," Mildrith explained. But Uhtred was still having none of it. "Welcome home, and may we offer our good wishes upon your new family and marriage," called Oswald, giving Mildrith a hearty hand shake.

"Thank you, Oswald, thank you!" Mildrith said beaming. 

"and how kind of you all to come out and greet me and my Lord, Uhtred!" she called out to the people.  "We have prepared a table, lord. for your pleasure." Oswald announced.  Khaana shook the snow from her mane, they seemed like decent enough people, but she had grown tired of the snow as well as standing about.

Uhtred's nose scrunched into a sneer as he looked Oswald up and down briefly, "You have my thanks," He droned trying to stay polite, "But we are tired from travel." He said. Oswald's smile fell and so to did Mildriths as she glanced between the two, "of course, lord." said Oswald slightly deflated.  Mildrith looked to Leofric for help, but he did his best to look off as if not paying attention. The defeated girl sighed and turned back to the people with a smile, "Thank you, Oswald, you are too kind." she said quickly.

"I have a wedding gift for each family!" Mildrith announced grinning ear to ear, the families lined up in a row the moment the words left her mouth. "tis' silver." Mildrith said, her words giddy as mild shock flashed on the people's faces.  she opened up the coin purse from her bride price and carefully handed out a silver piece each.

"Thank you lady Mildrith" they murmured quietly, small smiles on their faces. "for your kindness and your loyalty," Mildrith said. 

"thank you so much." a child said cupping her hands around her very own silver piece. "For taking care of the land in my prolonged absence." Mildrith went on down the line. 

Unable to watch anymore Uhtred went to step inside of his new home, it was dark but warm and cozy. a table was lined with inviting food. closing his eyes he sighed and tried to remind himself to be calm. It was hard to do.

Outside, children tucked their silver into their pockets and rushed the new horse. Khaana found herself afraid to move as the tiny people below her wove about her excitedly. "It's gaint!" cried one trying to reach her little hands towards Khaana's face.

"The hooves are bigger than me head!"

"she's so shinny! like silver!" 

"Can we go for a ride Lady Mildrith!"

"what's her name?"

Khaana shook her head as the many shouting were almost overwhelming. carefully she took steps back from the children. "mercy they are rowdy little things." Khaana thought to herself. Mildrith laughed, "easy children, that is... Aana-na. she is a gift from my lord, Uhtred." she said going to them. Taking Khaana's reins she lead her towards the children. "Be calm so as not to spook her. She is new here." Mildrith warned them. "Ok," one of the children whispered.

Khaana lowered her head and allowed them to play with the forelock of her mane. "She has carried me a long way and needs rest, we will see how she is feeling later, maybe then we can all play for a bit," said Mildrith. The children cheered, "Aana-na needs a nap! let's let her rest." one called. Khaana chuckled inwardly before puffed hot hair into the child's face, causing it to giggle.

"Oswald, would you mind stabling the horses?" Mildrith called. "not at all, lady." He replied going to her and taking Khaana's reins.

"Now there's a welcomed sight!" Leofric said stepping inside of the home as the sun started to set, rubbing his hands together in the warmth, his eyes going to the dishes of foods prepared. Uhtred still wandered about bewildered. "I was expecting there to be a hall..." Uhtred muttered while Leofric picked up a wooden bowl and started to help himself to the food. "instead I find this." Uhtred sighed.

"pay off your debts and you can build a hall," Leofric said quickly, stuffing a pinch of poultry into his mouth. He glanced back at Uhtred with brows raised, "didn't I tell you the bastard thinks? Alfred." said Leofric. Uhtred rolled his eyes, he was tired of hearing that already. "If he believes he can me beg, He can think again." Uhtred grumbled, heading towards the table.

Leofric sighed and paused in stuffing his plate, "He doesn't want you to beg," He said looking to Uhtred who took a pinch of food from the serving plate, "He wants you to obey."

"never." Uhtred murmured.

Mildrith entered in, in a huff, balling up her cloak as she removed it. "If you have need for me, lord, I shall be resting..." she said with some bite, Leofric took up his plate and quietly inched towards the door, "as it appears I am tired," Mildrith said cynically.  Uhtred blocked her way, "I am 2,000 shilling sin debt to the church, and you hand out silver to your tenants?" Uhtred questioned her. 

Mildrith looked up at him in mild disbelief, "it's my silver." she stated quietly, looking down she opened her bag, "you may have what's in my purse..." she offered. "I don't want what's in your purse." Uhtred pouted. Mildrith gave a shrug, "then why scold me?" she asked. Leofric with plate and ale in hand inched ever closer to the door, silently praying he could get out unnoticed.

"The Stoat, the farmstead master, He will need to be watched," Uhtred warned. Mildrith shook her head, "His name is Oswald, he was trusted by my father." she reasoned. "and he lives too well by the looks of him." Uhtred shot. Leofric now close to the door cleared his throat, "I will make my way to the barn." He announced breaking the heavy tension.

Uhtred glanced, up "You are a guest in my home. you will stay in the house." he demanded. Leofric paused in his step glancing between the two of them. "yes, but I prefer the barn." Leofric said with a nod, "it is your wedding night. Goodnight lady, Arsling." he said before excusing himself.

Mildrith bid Leofric goodbye before turning to look hopelessly at Uhtred as he walked away from her to the other side of the small home. "How many pieces of silver did you receive as your bride price?" asked Uhtred. Mildrith turned to him, calmer now. "eighteen is that correct?" she asked. Uhtred exhaled the tension leaving his shoulders, he gave a faint shake of his head. "no, the price was 33." he said.

Still Mildrith smile, "I am sure it was an honest mistake." she said, Uhtred gave her an irritated sideways glance. "You were robbed, and I was robbed," he explained slowly moving closer to her. "That price is your security and you shall have it, all of it!" Uhtred vented. Mildrith stood in silence, her eyes mildly distraught, she had hoped for more out of her wedding day.

"may I rest?" she asked. "yes," Uhtred said softly. She watched him pace for a while longer, "I am sorry the day has been such a disappointment for you lord....as it has to been for me." she uttered quietly, turning her back and heading to bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 505 45
Part one of The Mórrigan's Wolf series, a The Last Kingdom Fanfic Series. Featuring Finan and a female OC Faoladhean (FAY-luh-yin) is part of one of...
13.2K 296 17
[completed] If you stood before the Gods at this very moment, would they name you worthy of their domain? Would they look upon the fear you've caused...
My England By ᐃᓐᓄᒐᑎ

Historical Fiction

2.5K 195 43
Book 1 A Legend Of Blood And Love - An abandoned frail boy left to die in the forest of Jørrghimmyer was found by the Kæl prince Siftrethörn who carr...
309K 23.9K 74
War A word that should inflict fear and terror is seen as the new normal. Kharis is a slave in the castle of Leonidas of Bethillore, Supreme commande...