Petal [h.s.]

By alisonfelix

[Completed] [MATURE CONTENT] [TW: Mentions of drug abuse and self-harm] "When I met her, I told myself 'no f... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 (*)
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (*)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 (*)
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 (*)
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 (*)
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 (*)
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 (*)
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42 (*)
Chapter 43 (*)
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48 (*)
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51 (*)
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 (*)
Chapter 56 (*)
Chapter 57 (*)
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78 (*)
Chapter 79
Chapter 80 (*)
Chapter 81
Chapter 82 (*)
Chapter 84
Chapter 85 (*)
Chapter 86 (*)
Chapter 87 (*)
Chapter 88
Chapter 89 (*)
Chapter 90
Chapter 91 (*)
Chapter 92
Chapter 93 (*)
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97 (*)
Chapter 98

Chapter 83

4.5K 128 20
By alisonfelix

Violet.

I let out a sigh when I entered the gates of the RSP, ready for my final shit ever.

It was as if suddenly I looked at these hallways differently. The chipped, beige paint didn't seem so dreadful, the empty windowsills that were covered in dust didn't seem so gross and the distant sound of people bickering inside nearly made me grin instead of leaving me feeling annoyed like it would most days.

"Hi." I breathed when I walked into the social worker's office on the final Friday morning, seeing Alex there. I was excited to do my last shift ever with him. He was the colleague I got along with the best and we were mostly on the same line when it came to caring for the kids.

The bickering I heard was between Nellie and Ian, who were coming down the stairs for breakfast as the first ones that day.

Ian had a wide smile on his lips when he saw me, "Look who it is." I could tell he still had trouble stopping himself from hugging me. Hugs between the social workers and the kids were common, but between me and Ian it was strictly forbidden by Victor.

"Can't believe you're leaving u for some fancy state-operated facility. They'll have cleaners there and all!" Alex teased and I rolled my eyes, having no doubt in my mind that Clarendale's would have a cleaning crew and that it would overall be a much nicer building than this one.

"And you're going to have all this fancy food and these snotty colleagues, you're going to forget all about us." He continued and I let out a laugh, "Would never forget about you."

I playfully punched his shoulder as I sat down on the chair behind the computer, quickly catching up on yesterday's logbooks to see if I had missed anything major. The last few weeks had been quiet in the RSP. We had a large group, but everyone was minding their own business.

Ever since Ian and Eve, there hadn't been any relapses or runaways, and it felt nice to move forward with everyone.

"What have we got planned for today?" I asked and Alex cocked up an eyebrow, "What do you mean? It's your last day."

I slowly nodded, "I'm aware. But what is the morning activity?"

"The morning activity is you."

"Oh my God," I groaned, leaning my head back against the back of the chair, "Don't tell me we're all going to sit in a circle and I have to listen to everyone saying nice things about me."

Alex let out a laugh, "Sadly enough, I don't make those rules."

"I thought that was only something we did when residents left? We've never done that for a colleague!" I cried out, dreading the moment already.

"Well, there's never been a colleague who has been here as long as you before they left. You're kind of a household name here."

"Ah, please." I rolled my eyes with a snort, "Can't we just... do something else? I hate being the centre of attention."

Alex nodded, "I'll see what we can do. But you're going to get your goodbye-moment either way. I saw that Victor cleared everyone's agenda's at one. Lana and Stephen have been asked to come in an hour early, and he summoned all the therapists too. Even Vivian, who is hardly even here."

My eyes widened, "Are you serious? Fuck, I'm going to hate this so much."

"I know. We all know. I was surprised that Victor went through with it. He must be really pissed still to put you through that kind of torture." Alex was half sarcastic but also half not. Everyone knew Victor was still so angry with me for keeping everything from him about Harry and Ian.

"You start there on Monday, right?" Alex asked and I nodded, "Yeah. They need me to be there by nine, which is crazy."

"Your shift starts at nine?"

"Nice, right?" I grinned, "Gives me an extra hour in the morning, which is always welcome."

Alex nodded, "It is nice. Eight always feels just too early."

I snorted while shaking my head, "That one hour in the morning wouldn't change anything for you, you'd still be a moody twat in the mornings."

"I'm not that bad!" Alex defended himself, "Not half as bad as Stephen."

"That's true." I agreed with a grin.

Alex cleared his throat and I cocked up an eyebrow as he scratched the back of his neck, "I know you hate goodbye's and I know you hate speeches, but I do still want to say something." He began and I shifted in my seat, shaking my head, "Alex, don't start w-"

"No, no, it's going to be short and not too sappy, I promise. I just want to say that I've really enjoyed working with you over the past few years, and I don't think it's a secret that you're my favourite colleague. And um... Yeah, I'm just really going to miss you."

I shot him a half smile, feeling myself grow sad over his words. He was my favourite colleague too, and everything had been so high speed lately that I almost hadn't realized yet that I wasn't just leaving the bad memories of the RSP behind, but also a lot of good ones.

"Clarendale's is really lucky to have you." Alex smiled, "And if you ever wanted to go grab a drink and bitch about the kids, and let me vent about mine... Please, let me know."

I nodded with a smile, "I'd like that." Alex was the only one of my colleagues that I considered a friend outside of the walls of the RSP. I got along with all of them, but the connection with him just felt a bit different, a bit stronger. We texted quite often and had hung out outside of work a few times throughout the years. It felt nice.

"Ugh," I groaned, resting my head against the chair again, "It's going to be a day filled with talks like those, isn't it?"

Alex laughed and nodded, "I'm afraid so, Vi." He brought his hand up and gently squeezed my neck, a gesture that I appreciated, "Now come on, time for your last breakfast. Hope the coffee at Clarendale's is better than here."

I chuckled, "Already tasted it, big yikes."

"Oh, hey, by the way. Victor sent out an e-mail that he's doing another barbecue with the families in two weeks, on a Sunday. Weather's supposed to be great, and with everything that's happened with a lot of the residents, it feels like a nice thing to do. It went really well the last time, so yeah. I think it'd be nice if you were here too." Alex spoke.

"Me? At the barbecue? As like... a guest?" I frowned slightly, and Alex nodded, "Mhm. I mean, you'd probably come as a part of Ian's 'family'."

"Right." I nodded, "It's going to be really strange to be here as a family member. What if I catch a kid doing something they're not supposed to?" I snickered and Alex shrugged, "Ignore it or tell me about it." He patted my shoulder once more as we sat down on the breakfast table.

Breakfast was filled with chatter between all of the residents and Alex and I. It felt nice to end my time at the RSP like this, and I could tell that everyone put in the effort to make it a decent day. Eve insisted on sitting next to me at the table, making Ian roll his eyes while I chuckled at his behaviour.

Nellie had asked for a little one on one time today, which I had agreed to. I knew she liked me, and she found it hard when I started only coming to work three times a week. I was definitely the social worker she bonded the most with, and she had told me a lot of personal stories and usually came to me in a crisis.

I had helped her tremendously in mending the bond with her mother, a task I had now given to Lana.

The alone time with Nellie consisted of playing a card game in her room. She vented a little bit about the other girls in the RSP. Eve and Sasha got along very well, while the newest girl, Tess, was not really Nellie's cup of tea. She had been waiting for a female friend at the RSP for the whole time she had been here, but the girls' personalities just never really matched with hers.

"Hey, you're almost out of here right? End of the month if I'm not mistaken?" I asked while watching the cards in my hand.

Nellie nodded, "Yeah. I think I'm just going to stick around for the barbecue and head off after that."

"Hmm, the barbecue. Chances are big I'll see you then."

Her eyes widened, "You're coming to the barbecue?!"

I smiled at her reaction and nodded, "Yeah, probably, with Ian."

"Right... Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure." I nodded.

"That Harry... He's your boyfriend, right?"

I flicked my head up to see her face, her eyes staring at me intently. I nibbled my lower lip before slowly nodding, "Yes." I didn't see a point in lying about it anymore. The more my final day approached, the less I was the RSP-Violet and the more I was the friend-Violet to all of my kids. I wanted to leave on a good note with them.

"I knew something was going on! I knew it!" She exclaimed, shaking her head to herself, "I knew it the moment I saw you two outside, when I asked you to dye my hair, remember?"

"Yeah, I remember." It was the night I got strangled. Harry and I had a fight before and he came to the RSP to try and smooth things over, but I had denied him. Obviously, that night changed everything when I felt relief coursing through me the second I saw his face when I was lying on the floor in my old apartment.

I forgave him right then and there.

"And then at the previous barbecue, he was drooling over you like a dog."

"Nellie!" I laughed, throwing my head back, "He was not."

"Oh please, couldn't take his eyes off of you. I just thought he was into you or something, didn't think you two knew one another." She snorted while rolling her eyes, "When I asked him what his girlfriend's name was, he stammered out 'Vanessa'. Always thought it was weird."

I slowly nodded, "Well, yeah, we kept it quiet for obvious reasons. How come you're asking me about this?"

"Heard Victor talking to Stephen a few weeks back. Nothing here ever stays a secret." She shrugged and I let out a sigh, knowing how right she was. Everyone here probably knew about my relationship with Harry by now.

"He's really hot though, I'm a bit jealous." She admitted and I laughed again, shaking my head. I always found it amusing that Nellie had a little crush on Harry. It was harmless, but even he found it adorable to have that effect on the teenage-girl. Nellie continued, "So he's coming to the barbecue too?"

"I'm not sure, haven't talked about it." I shrugged my shoulders. Harry would only be out of Clarendale's for a few days then, if everything went to plan. I didn't know if he could bring himself to spending a day at yet another rehab facility after just spending ten weeks in one.

Nellie and I finished our card game, and she gave me a little speech about how she was going to miss me. She thanked me for everything I had done for her, and somehow her goodbye made me more emotional than the one I had with Alex.

I sniffed once while she talked about some of our moments we had together, some memories. Not all of them were good ones, but the most were.

"Can I hug you?" She asked and I froze a little bit, shifting on my feet. She saw my hesitation and cocked up an eyebrow, "You don't have to."

"I want to. But it's difficult right now, I can't explain. Would it... Would it be okay if I hugged you? But you can't hug me back. And you can't ask me why." I asked carefully.

Nellie slowly nodded and I let out a sigh as I approached her and curled my arms around her shoulders, pulling her into me. I smiled when she let out a breath, but kept her arms next to her body like I had asked her to.

"I'm really proud of you, you know? Can't believe you're almost out. I'm really happy I got to see you grow into the person you are." I mumbled and Nellie sniffed once, "Thank you."

I pulled back, both of us tears in our eyes until we started laughing and wiping them away. Nellie glanced at the clock, seeing it was almost noon, "Come on, I was supposed to have you downstairs before lunch."

I raised my brows, "Oh no, what's happening? What's going on downstairs?"

She shrugged, "You'll see." She spoke mysteriously and I rolled my eyes, cringing already.

Upon coming downstairs, I braced myself for an awkward goodbye-party, but was pleasantly surprised to find everyone just hanging out in the living room. I cocked up one eyebrow when I heard some soft music playing, and even more when I saw the variety of soft drinks on the table.

"This is the most lowkey goodbye-party we've ever thrown." Nellie stood next to me, eyeing the scene and shaking her head.

"It's perfect." I grinned, seeing everyone turn around when they heard me come in.

My attention was diverted to the kitchen when Ian came walking out, holding the largest cake I had ever seen, "Surprise!" He exclaimed and my jaw dropped, "Is that... a chocolate chip salted caramel cake from Madeleine's cake shop?!"

"It is a chocolate chip salted caramel cake from Madeleine's cake shop." He answered and I almost let out a squeal, "Oh my God, this is amazing!"

"Ian's idea." Alex stood next to me, bumping his shoulder into mine, and I smiled as I nodded towards Ian, mouthing him a 'thank you'.

"Who's ready for cake for lunch?" Alex asked the group, earning him loud cheers and my eyes widened even more, "No bread?"

"Couldn't send you off with bread on your last day, could I?" He chuckled and I almost jumped in his arms from excitement.

Madeleine's cake shop had the best cake. Very expensive, but absolute heaven. I had only had it a handful of times because of its price tag, but their chocolate chip salted caramel cake was my absolute favourite cake I had ever eaten.

An orgasm in the mouth.

Soon, I was seated at the table with all of the kids, slowly munching on a piece of cake with my eyes closed. I almost wanted to moan, but had to remember I was still in a professional setting.

I loved Ian for remembering my love for this cake, and for having it as a surprise for me today.

Lana and Stephen joined us soon after, also having some cake. I was enjoying my time as we all just hung out together and I talked to some people, drinking some lemonade. The whole atmosphere just felt... easy.

"You're welcome." Ian muttered as he subtly got to standing next to me as I was leaning against the wall. I glanced over to Victor in the corner of my eye, seeing he had his back to us.

I smiled at Ian, "This is really great. All your idea?"

He nodded, "Yeah, the others wanted something really big and extravagant and all I could think was... no. I told them you'd hate it and get all awkward, so this was the alternative."

"You know me well." I snickered.

"I'm really going to miss you here." Ian sighed and I raised my brows, not expecting him to say something like that today, "Really? You're going to see me tomorrow, at home. Don't you think it's going to be easier for you now that I'm gone?"

He shrugged, "I know, but still liked seeing you every day. You make this place a little less... hellish."

"Ah, come on, don't be too dramatic." I rolled my eyes playfully, "You get along with the others, right? It's a good group right now."

"It is." He agreed with a nod before letting out a breath, "Shit, abort mission, Victor's glaring."

Ian didn't hesitate before walking away and I chuckled under my breath, having another sip of my cup while Victor took Ian's spot next to me, "How do you feel?"

I let out a breath and shrugged, "Weird. It's strange to come to a building every day for four years in a row, just doesn't feel real that I have to go somewhere else on Monday. But it's good at the same time. Like I said, just... time for something different."

"Hmm." He nodded, "By the way, I hired your replacement."

"Yeah?" I cocked up an eyebrow, "Who?"

"I called all the women you wrote on that piece of paper and interviewed two, eventually going with that girl called Melany. She's starting on Monday."

"Oh, yes, Melany, I remember her. She's great, isn't she?"

He nodded again, "Yeah, I think she'll fit in here well."

We were quiet for a bit before he cleared his throat, "Word on the street is that you didn't want me to make a speech."

I laughed shortly before nodding, "Yeah, I'm sorry. Didn't really want to be the centre of attention today, just thought I'd end it quietly."

Victor chuckled but nodded, "I get it, should've known you wouldn't like that. Anyway, I'm just going to keep it short then," He sighed before taking another breath, "You were a real asset to the RSP for all those years. I think you're going to be very missed here, both by kids and colleagues, and I don't think you realize how valid your energy was here. I liked working with you when I was still a social worker, and I've always considered you one of the most trustworthy people here. So in conclusion... I'm still very sad to see you leave. I know you haven't had the easiest few months, and maybe you feel like this is something you have to do but... if you ever change your mind, you can always try and check here, you'll always have a spot here."

I smiled, feeling my throat tighten as I slowly nodded, "Thank you."

"And I really do hope everything works out for you, Violet. I know I've been strict with you, but I was just so disappointed. I think you can get that."

"Yes, I do get that." I shot him a small smile. I didn't hold it against him that he controlled me so much during the past few weeks. I had made some huge mistakes.

We were snapped out of our conversation when Ian's loud laugh boomed through the room, and it involuntary made me smile. Victor saw my facial expression and let out a breath, "He really loves you, you know? He went through a lot of trouble to organize this party for you."

"Really?"

"Mhm," Victor nodded, "Insisted that we got this one particular cake from this one particular bakery."

I smiled and shrugged, "It is my favourite."

Silence fell over us again until I turned my head to see him, "Would you completely hate it if I joined Ian at the barbecue in two weeks?"

"As his family?" Victor frowned and I slowly nodded.

He let out a breath and shrugged, "I mean... I guess. The thing is that you know the rules. You know we can't stop him from bringing whoever he wants. So no, I wouldn't hate you. At all."

"Okay." I smiled, "Thank you."

"So," He sighed, glancing at the clock, "One more hour of RSP. What're you going to do?"

I smiled as I nodded, "I know. I think I'm just going to walk around for a bit. Feel like I haven't decently looked at this building since my first day here. Do you mind?"

"Of course not." He shook his head and I pushed myself off of the wall to quietly exit the room and search the silence of the empty hallways. I slowly walked towards the stairs, trying to pay attention to all the details that I usually ignored or simply didn't see.

I saw the dented firesafe that was a usual spot for residents to plant their fists when angry. I saw the dirty walls that had footprints all over them from residents attempting parkour on the stairs.

I opened a few doors on the first floor, seeing the bedroom that the nightstaff slept in. Upon my arrival, I did the night shift for a few weeks, covering for someone. I had spent more nights in this bed than I wanted, and always absolutely hated night shifts. Luckily, I had a great group of kids back then who allowed me my sleep.

I saw the horrendous fireproof drapes, the burgundy colour washed off from the sunlight and the pattern unrecognizable. I saw the dead flies on the windowsills and the art that the kids created during creativity class and then hung up on the walls.

Eve had quite a knack for drawing, and I was admiring her dog-drawing before deciding to move on. The gym on the first floor was where I had spent a lot of time with Nellie, and it was also where I once almost got punched by Timothy all these years ago.

The countless games of table tennis that I had played here, were stored somewhere far away in my brain. I had done it so much here, that I absolutely hated it now and never wanted to do it again.

I made my way to the second floor, seeing more bedrooms that I slowly walked past. The view out of the windows showed the garden, where I had arguably spent the most time during the past four years. There had been too many smoke breaks to count, and whenever the sun was out, we opted for spending time outdoors and having picnics and games outside.

The shed in the garden was filled with spiders, and during my first few weeks, I got locked in there by a few residents who thought it was funny to leave me there in the dark for a few minutes. It had been my personal hell.

I made my way down the stairs again, going through every therapist room on the ground floor. I saw the hole in the wall where Louis' fist had been a few months ago, when Ian had run off. I saw the coffee stains on the table, the broken chairs in the corner from aggressive residents, the tissues on the table for when someone started crying, the clock above the wall that always made just a little too much noise for my liking.

I walked by my secret smoking spot, seeing the overflown ashtray. I had stood here on too many occasions, trying to find some air during busy shifts, trying to have a minute to myself without residents shouting and screaming.

By the time I had made my way around the building, it was just another ten minutes until my shift ended. I joined everyone in the living room again and had a few chats with a few residents that I really wanted to say goodbye to.

The talks with the newer kids were short, and besides wishing them luck in their program, I didn't really have much to say. I hardly knew them.

I talked a bit longer with Ryan, Arlo and Eve. Nellie gave me a look, and we both understood that she had said whatever she wanted to say to me earlier today, and I appreciated that she gave me this time to talk to the others.

When the clock struck two, everyone erupted in applause and I shyly shuffled on my feet, keeping my head down as I blushed a little bit.

I cleared my throat when everyone went silent, "I know you're all expecting me to give a big speech, but I'm going to keep this short because I hate this."

I heard chuckled from around the room and continued, "The RSP was my home for four years, and it feels a little bittersweet to leave it behind today. This was my first real job, and I'll always be grateful for the many things I've learnt, the people I've met along the way and the experiences I've had. Some bad, but mostly good. I want to thank all of you for being amazing colleagues, residents or bosses," I spoke as I gestured to the group in front of me that had a mix of everyone, "And I really do wish you all the best. So just... thank you. A lot." I smiled widely as they applauded again and I waved my hand to make them stop.

I went into the office, grabbing a cardboard box to fill with whatever stuff I had left here. I peeled my name off of my locker that would soon be Melany's, and I grabbed the extra jumper and coat that I had here in case of emergencies. With my box in my hands, I handed Victor my badge and my set of keys, and eventually pulled the gates close behind me.

Once behind the wheel of Abby's car, I let out a very heavy sigh. It felt like all day, I had been holding a breath that I was only now releasing, and I didn't even realize it.

I felt so light, no weight on my shoulders as I was happy about how this day had gone and I had been able to say goodbye to everyone in the best way.

I pressed a button on the steering wheel when my phone rang, "Hello?"

"It's past two." Harry's voice was heard through the car and I chuckled as I drove through the streets, "It is past two." I confirmed.

"You're officially no longer at the RSP!" He exclaimed in excitement, whistling through the phone and I laughed, "You're right, I'm not."

"How was your last day? Thought I'd call tonight but then I saw it was past two so figured you'd be out already. Didn't expect you to stay long on your final day." Harry spoke.

"It was great. You'll never guess which cake Ian got me."

"Chocolate chip salted caramel from Madeleine's?"

"Yes!" I moaned, "Oh my God, it was so good. Literal heaven."

Harry sighed, "Can't moan like that over the phone, Vi."

I chuckled and shook my head, "Sorry. How was your day?"

"Meh, bit boring. Worked on the painting some more. Hope the weather perks up soon, not much to do here inside."

"Mhm, me too. Hey, is it still okay if I come over tomorrow? Or do you prefer Sunday?"

"Why not both? If you want you can, um – stay the night." He suggested in a bit of a smaller voice.

I nibbled on my lower lip, not entirely hating the idea, "I'll think about it."

"Wait, really?" He sounded shocked and I snickered, "Yeah. As long as you can promise not to touch me."

"You know I do. Although I can't really control what I do during my sleep, might find my head between your legs at some point."

"Harry!" I exclaimed in a scold, my cheeks heating up whilst I was alone in the car and he couldn't see me. I heard his loud laugh through the phone as he obviously enjoyed riling me up, "Sorry."

"You've only got two more weeks of Clarendale's, how do you feel?"

"Good," Harry breathed, "I do have a few intense therapy sessions coming up with Nick, just talking about things that I haven't yet."

"Your family?" I asked carefully and Harry hummed, "Yeah."

"Did he ask you to or did you suggest it?"

"I suggested it." Harry cleared his throat, "Just feels like it's the basis for a lot of shit. It feels like something I should cover with him."

I nodded whilst stopping for a red light, "Yeah, if you think it'll help and you trust him enough."

"What time will you be here tomorrow?" Harry asked.

"Not sure, not too late. What time would you like? I'm going out for drinks with Abby tonight, going to that bar she works at now."

"That BDSM-club?" Harry sounded confused and I chuckled, "Yeah."

"So... Just you two girls going to a BDSM-club."

"No, no, Dan and Max will be there too." I explained and Harry let out a breath, "Who are Dan and Max?"

"Dan is Abby's new boyfriend and Max is his friend."

"And you know this Max-guy?"

I rolled my eyes, "A little. Talked to him only once."

"And is he nice?"

"Why do you sound like my dad." I groaned and Harry let out a chuckle, "Not my intention. It's just that I don't know these people and I need you to be safe."

"Don't worry, they're nice. Hope Abby doesn't try too hard this time." I sighed, before my eyes widened and I instantly regretted what I had said, knowing Harry was going to pick up on it.

"What do you mean? What did she try last time?" There was urgency in his voice and I clenched my jaw as I silently cursed to myself, shaking my head, "Um, nothing."

"Violet."

Harry's voice sounded stern and strict and I felt like I was being scolded. I bit my lip as I let out a sigh, shaking my head to myself. This was a horrible conversation to have over the phone. The last thing I wanted was for Harry to get insecure or jealous.

"She kind of tried to set me up with Max."

"What?" Harry's voice shot up a few octaves and I quickly shook my head, "Don't worry, nothing happened. It was really innocent."

"She... She tried to set you up with someone else while she knows you're with me?" I could hear the pain in his voice and guilt flooded my body. I knew Abby hated Harry right now, and that he was attempting to mend things with her. Her pretending he didn't exist and not taking our relationship seriously, obviously struck a nerve with him the same way it had with me.

"Look, I didn't agree to anything, I told him I had a boyfriend and he backed off. And I told Abby off too."

"He asked you out?!"

"Harry," I sighed, "We were just talking about work and stuff, nothing special. He asked me out, I said no and he respected it. We even talked about you for a while."

"Did... Did you tell him I'm in rehab?"

I bit my lip, "Well... Yeah, it came up."

"Wow," Harry muttered, "He must think I'm such a tosser."

I frowned, "He doesn't think you're a tosser. He was super respectful, saying how hard addiction is and how rough it must be to be in rehab. Said he's had a friend who went through it too, even went to Clarendale's like you."

"Yeah, well..." He sighed in defeat and I felt my stomach drop, "Harry, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just... I wish I was there with you to experience all that together. I don't like you going out without me. I'm not ashamed to be in rehab, but I feel like people look down on it so much and think I'm such a loser. And then I'm not even there to defend myself."

I decided not to tell him that Abby blabbed about the cheating.

"I defend you."

He sighed again, "I know. But it's not the same. I don't think you've ever noticed how much attention you get when you go out. The reason you've never noticed is because I'm always there and when guys see me around you, they back off. I'm just scared you'll find someone you like who has less problems and issues than I have. Someone who it's easy with." He spilled truthfully and my eyes widened in shock.

"I don't want anyone else. I only want you. I love you. You don't ever have to worry about that." I frowned as I tried to reassure him, but I could tell that me talking about Max had planted a seed in his brain and it was developing into a full blown negative mindset.

"Yeah." He answered shortly, "Meanwhile I'm not there to celebrate your final day in the RSP and he is."

"Do you want me to stay home?"

"No, no," he quickly said, "I want you to have fun. It's nothing. Don't worry about it. I just can't wait to spend time with you outside of this building. I feel like you're living your life without me while I'm just... stuck here."

I ran a hand through my hair, feeling sympathetic for him as my insides turned at the sad tone his voice took, "I know, baby."

Silence fell over the phone call as my pet name lingered in the air. I had only ever called him that before, and he had seemed to like it then. My heart stopped for a bit by his lack of a response, but soon Harry cleared his throat on the other end of the line, "You know just how to coax me, don't you?"

I grinned and shook my head, "Was worth a try."

"I like it when you call me baby."

"Yeah? I always thought you'd hate it." I admitted and Harry let out a laugh, "When you say it, it doesn't sound like a reference to a small child, Violet. I know you're saying it to be affectionate, and I like that."

"Okay." I chuckled as I pulled up at Abby's house and turned the engine off, "Look, I'm home now. I promised Abby I'd go grocery shopping and I'm supposed to stop by Eleanor's too this afternoon. Something about a dress fitting for her wedding." I sighed, rubbing my palms over my forehead.

Today was a busy day. Eleanor and Louis were speeding through their wedding planning, and Eleanor wanted me, Abby and Isobel to wear matching dresses as her bridesmaid so I had to drop by this store sometime during the afternoon so they could measure me and get it made.

"Right. No, it's fine. Have fun tonight." Harry tried to sound chipper, but I could tell me talking about Max and how Abby had tried to set me up, upset him.

I let out a breath and fiddled with my fingers, "Are you sure you don't want me to stay home?"

"No, no, none of that. You deserve to go out and celebrate, you've finished your job at the RSP. Go have fun."

He sounded so unconvincing that I didn't even attempt to believe him, "Harry..."

"Vi, I'm serious. Go have fun, you've earned it. I'll see you tomorrow, it's fine. We'll catch up on everything when I'm out of here and celebrate your new job in our own way, yeah?"

I smiled and nodded, "That sounds nice. Well, I'll see you tomorrow, going to call Eliza now to register my visit and I'll be there probably around ten in the morning, is that okay?"

"Mhm," Harry agreed, but his voice had gone silent and I hated how insecure I had made him in this one stupid conversation, "I can't wait to see you."

I smiled, "Me too. And hey, it's your turn to pick a movie."

"Easy, fourth Harry Potter."

I groaned, "Except the fourth Harry Potter, please don't make me watch the monstrosity that is Goblet of Fire again."

Harry laughed and I smiled before silence took over again.

"I'm going to let you enjoy your night. I'll see you tomorrow." He spoke and I nodded, "Okay. See you tomorrow."

"Have fun, love you."

"Love you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

929K 35.2K 83
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
367K 13.1K 59
After Pein's invasion, Naruto is betrayed by his comrades and left to die. When he wakes up, he somehow travelled back in time to when he was genin a...
307K 10.1K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. โ” Lando Norris x Fem!OC ยฉ KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
301K 6.7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc