The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

Something Borrowed

342 11 1
By Skipology

Ragnar paced near the shores where his ships were docked, lightly biting his finger, it had been days since he was able to tap into the connection with Khaana. All he could think of was the worst. His lung tightened as he tried to remind himself to breathe. "You're sure you want to join Guthrum's men?" Brida asked, walking up to him. She dropped her travel sack on the ground, "we could just stay here, you've conquered half of this territory we don't need Guthrum." Brida tried to reason with him.

"Guthrum is planning a return to England to claim Wessex," Ragnar spoke under his breath. "I have not heard or felt Khaana in days, I need answers. If I go back and I can get them." Ragnar sighed, he turned to Brida and rested his hands on her shoulders, "Maybe even talk Uhtred and Khaana into joining with us again. If we can take more ground from this Alfred....they may come to see we can help them with what Uhtred seeks and get revenge for my father." said Ragnar.

Brida gave a faint smile at the hope in Ragnar's eyes, but it was a bittersweet taste on her tongue. "Ragnar, Khaana's cut the tie to you for a reason. She doesn't want to come back. You've been left behind too." she said.

Ragnar scowled, "She would never, I know your heart is bitter for the choice she made. But she sent you here because she could not torment you to a life you hated to follow a cause you did not believe in. " said Ragnar.  His mind took him to his last moments with Khaana, even now his body still felt the closeness of intimacy like he'd never known, waking him in the night with a cold sweat as mind and body relived it, only without her.

"She would not do this to me," he whispered. "But she has, it's been six days Ragnar and nothing. You've boasted about your night of 'magical' humping  as an unworded promise, but how are you so sure it wasn't a goodbye?" Brida ranted.

Ragnar turned his back to her having heard enough and Brida sighed. "look," she said his tone softening, "I'm sorry....but you can't deny what's true." she said. Walking to him, Brida slipping her arms around Ragnar's waist and rested her cheek against his back. "Khaana is blindly loyal, but you can't be loyal to many people and things at once - She sees her chance to kill what remains of the bloodline of the man who took her wings, and in doing so she can help Uhtred. She sees him as her own, more than she's ever seen any of us as hers." Brida spoke quietly.

Ragnar shook his head, "even if you are right." he murmured, "You were her own. You will always be. You forget that now, but you will remember. Hopefully, before you burn too many bridges." Ragnar warned turning to face her.

"so what will you do now?" Brida asked. "I will keep my promise, I will not give up on the hope that Khaana and I will be together, I will go to Guthrum because I still need answers," said Ragnar. Brida gave a small hopeful smile, "You will....keep your promise?" she asked, Ragnar gave a stiff nod. "But you will know if ever she returns, I will go to her," said Ragnar. Brida smirked and wrapped her arms around Ragnar's neck. No, he didn't look thrilled about any of this, but she knew her own charms and he would learn to love her as more than a little sister, and he would do so quickly. 

Brida lightly kissed Ragnar's nose, before diving into a hungry kiss, guiding his hands to roam her body.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Khaana sat up in the center of Leofric's bed, glaring knives at his back as he pulled on his clothes. "You woke me too late," she said. Leofric glances back at her calmly, "Does it matter?" he asked. "Yes, I'm supposed to be offered to...one of those two dolts and I should not be seen exiting another man's home," Khaana stated pointedly. Leofric chuckled, "A home I share with my sister. I am one of Alfred's most loyal dogs, tell them you came around early to... to say a prayer of repentance for Eadgyth. She has a reputation and many see the two of you as close." Leofric reasoned.

Khaana still sulked as she began to dress. her inner grumbling almost audible, Leofric laughed silently, he could not help but smile but was glad he was turned away from her. "What's planned for you today?" He asked to break the silence, "Young Odda's taking me for a tour around their land...showing off what a marriage to him would have to offer." Khaana droned. 

Leofric sniggered, "which is nothing, that is his father's land. He has yet to be granted his own." He said. "that and I could care less for land in this place." Khaana spat, fixing her hair. "I like to roam, there's freedom in it. Following the horizon, in whichever way, it beckons you." She said. Pausing in putting on his armor Leofic looked back at her, she did make it sound pretty. "I wouldn't know about that." he sighed, "I've sold my life to Odda and King as their sword since I was a boy." He said.

"A cage of your own making is one of the worst kinds of prisons," Khaana said getting up from the bed. "When are we going to stop this?" Leofric asked. Khaana, fixed a leather buckle of his armor, "when I stop picturing him in your place." Khaana said, her nose scrunched up in disgust at herself "which it appears that I am more sentimental than I had prided myself on not being so...." her words faded.

Silence lingered between the two of them for a moment, Khaana could feel Leofric's shoulders rise and fall with a sigh, "well in whatever case, I've no objections." He said glancing over his shoulder down to her. Khaana met his gaze his eyes giving him a coy smile as she finished tightening his armor.

"I should take my leave," She said, heading for the door. Leofric brushed back his hair as he watched her walk away. as the door closed behind Khaana, Leofric exhaled. "this won't end well for you." He murmured to himself.

Eadgyth smiled as she took Khaana by the hand, "come on, we can go to the keep together, Lady Aelswith now requires all servants to says prayers before starting the day. To keep the halls pure." She said, leading Khaana out of the modest home near the small farmlands within the outer edges of the city walls.

"You're in a good mood this day." Khaana remarked amused, "I am," Eadgyth said, "its like having a sister." She giggled. Khaana shook her head but managed a smile. "Lady Khaana." Young Odda called out to them as they entered the Keep's courtyard. Khaana forced a smile, "Lord, Odda." She managed though she felt ill addressing him as so. A surprised smile came across his face.

Once Eadgyth and Khaana were a good distance away, Khaana gave a hard roll of her eyes and Eadgyth laughed. 

While knelt before the altar to pray Khaana found herself approached by Lady Aelswith. "Lady Herald?" she called quietly, Khaana held up her hand to pause Aelswith and finished her fake prayers before getting up to face the queen. "Sorry, milady. Yes?" Khaana questioned. Aelswith gave a smile that was almost too sweet, "I was hoping to speak with you in private about a very important matter." said the queen.

Khaana gestured for Aelswith to lead the way, following down many corridors until they came to a small corner before a stone wall fountain. "I am sure you have heard that Uhtred is due to be wed to a lovely godly woman we have selected for him," Aelswith said with that same smile which she wore like a mask. "I have indeed, he has resigned to it," Khaana said calmly. 

"Then would you be open to the same? We have two candidates who have strong ties to Wessex...one is less favorable." Aelswith said, side glancing, "But you have met and spent some time with Young Odda. He comes from a godly, good family and could offer you a happy, comfortable life while you see your purpose through here." She said, trying her best to sell the young man.

Khaana found herself unable to answer without a tint of venom and remained quiet. "He's a very lovely young man. honest green eyes, a strong jaw. He is a new warrior but a strong one. And he is kind, more than what can be said for the previous company you've been stuck with I am sure you will get along well." said Aelswith.

Khaana struggled to smile, but Aelswith seemed pleased with this reaction. The queen gave her head a tilt, "look at you already shy." she sighed. 

"you just think that dear...." Khaana thought to herself.

"And the other man, that has been chosen?" Khaana questioned. Aelswith's smile dropped down into a frown like a stone in water. "Aethelwold, late king Aethelred's son. He's a boy with no sense of responsibility, godly duty, honesty, or pride." She spat. "Bad blood? Is it not possible I am to show him the light?" Khaana questioned, trying to mask her teasing. "If he has not learned by now it is not possible," Aelswith said sternly.

Clearing her throat the Queen put a pleasant smile back on her face, "Please, young Odda will make sure you are well taken care of. " she said, leaning in she beckoned Khaana closer. "He has even saved himself for the propper woman, should she arrives," Aelswith whispered. Khaana smiled as she strained to hold back laughter. "I need to know this, why?" Khaana thought. 

Khaana simply nodded, "Come? Prayer walks the halls with me." Aelswith ordered, and reluctantly Khaana followed. In the halls, the two women passed Odda the Elder, Alfred, and Leofric.  Khaana kept her eyes forward, while Leofric glanced back. Alfred raised a brow as he studied Leofric. The warrior slowed in his step, a slight frown on his face as he watched Odda the younger step out from a corridor and strike up a conversation with Aelswith and Khaana.

"hm..." Alfred hummed quietly, "an interesting idea." He thought to himself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More days passed and while Khaana and Uhtred were adapting well to life in Wessex, it was still a new creature for them. Khaana envied Uhtred for his ability to take to the battlefield often. small skirmishes with the Danes and over Vikngr helped pass the time for him, even if it was still an inner battle to take on the people he grew up around. Khaana was kept busy tending to the wounded and ill as well as helping the nuns gather supplies to do so.

The small battles across the land were growing in number, it seemed as if England was badly desired. Khaana had little to worry about, Uhtred was trained well and could handle the average dane. Even if unspoken their shared worry was mainly, "when will Ubba return." they could only hope it would be a while yet. There was one good thing about the constant fighting, it kept Young Odda away.

Eadgyth looked up at the clouds while resting her back, with Khaana and a few nuns they were out gathering herbs for incense and medicine for the refugees. It was tiring back-breaking work, it had been over four hours past already. Khaana too looked up at the sky, the thick grey clouds seemed so inviting, she could feel the cool mist of soring through a rain-laden cloud on the memory of her skin. what was left of her wings fluttered beneath her hair. 

Eadgyth watched Khaana as she looked at the sky longingly. It wasn't the first time she had caught Khaana watching the sky. The rumor among the nuns was that Khaana had once been allowed to see heaven, walk its streets and that is why she is forever longing. Eadgyth felt it had to be something more.

Over the hill came the thundering of horses,  the women looked up to see a small cavalry headed towards the gates of Wessex, no more than twenty or so men, most yelling of their victory and blooded.  Young Odda led the herd, while Uhtred took the side and Leofric the rear.

Spotting Khaana, Young Odda headed her way letting the men head inside, "Everyone inside, take what herbs you have and see if the soldiers need tending to." Khaana called to the nuns, they were quick to do as they were told. Odda got down from his horse and gave a wide grin, "we were victorious again and with no losses." He boasted. "let him be praised," Eadgyth said quickly, "yes, indeed." Khaana echoed, "No losses, the men have learned well from their training?" Khaana asked towards Uhtred as he and Leofric met up with them. 

"They no longer fear the Danes as much, and what's more can keep up with them," Uhtred reported with a grin. "No fatalities but still plenty of wounds, you will have your work cut out for you this time, it was Varangians this time." said Uhtred. "feisty little ba-...em fighters those lot are." Khaana said with a nod. "Who took more?" Eadgyth asked between the three men. Young Odda went to speak when Uhtred smirked and beat him to it, "Me of course," said Uhtred.

"Not likely, Arsling." Leofric grunted. "I killed the last man you cut down." Uhtred reasoned. "Right after he gave you that lovely gift." Uhtred teased pointing to a bloodstain on Leofric's side. "Are you hurt?" Eadgyth fussed rushing to her brother's horse. "I'm well used to it by now, Eadgyth." Leofric muttered. "what's wrong don't like being fawned over in front of a lady?" Uhtred teased more.

Khaana went after Eadgyth, Leofric tried to cover the wound with his hand but had it swatted away, "ah! what was that for?" Leofric called as Khaana smacked his hand "for being a child, let me see." she demanded. Lightly pressing her fingertips to the wound they were quickly painted red. "I can fix it," she said turning to Eadgyth, "everyone in the gates, rest," said Khaana, she gave a shart look to Leofric "and I will be to see you shortly," she added, letting Eadgyth leave them then into the city while she finished picking a few more herbs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Leofric sat on the edge of his bed, he had reported their success to Odda the Elder to report to Alfred and came out of his armor when Khaana slipped into his room. In her hands was a basket of dressings and herbs. "It's really not necessary." Leofric protested. "off and over your head." Khaana said ignoring him. Leofric huffed and pulled his shirt off while Khaana busied herself setting up the items she would need, next to him on the bed.

Looking towards Leofric's torso a sleek clean-cut bore deep, seeping red, likely an ax cut or a spearhead stab. She knelt on the floor before him and examined the fresh cut. For the first time, she realized, "Your gods been good to you Saxon." she breathed looking over his scar-riddled body. Leofric suddenly felt uncomfortable, "You are just not noticing?" he asked, shivering slightly as Khaana cleaned the open wound and smothered it in a herb paste. "I told you, I don't see you in the moment," She stated simply.

"I remember, just after a couple of time one would notice something," Leofric murmured. Khaana pressed her palm to the wound, Leofric noticed it started to itch. "what are you doing?" He asked, "shhh," Khaana said focusing. after a while she drew her hand away to check her work. The deep cut had stitched the flesh together nicely over the top layer. "Wish you'd been around sooner," Leofric said examining the wound with wide eyes and raised brows.

Khaana's hand wandered lightly across his skin from one old scar to the next. some were faded well, others were left in jagged knotted welts of healed skin. many very large. Leofric found he like the warmth of her palm slipping across the old scars. Up by his ribcage, Leofric flinched slightly at her touch. Khaana looked up at him briefly before leaning her face color to see the faded scar, it was roundish, but before the flesh, it felt knotted. 

"Took a mace to the ribs, defending my lord. It's at least ten years old. the damnable thing still gives me hell when the weather is bad." Leofric said with a shrug. Khaana gently kneaded the rib with her hand, "because it was broken and you let it set wrong." she mused under her breath. Leofric bit his lip to hold in a cry of pain, Khaana pressed against the rib swiftly with as much pressure as she could. A soft pop would be heard, " By god bones what did you do." Leofric grunted. Khaana said nothing, keeping her palm pressed to his rib she lay her other palm just under the center of his chest. A warmth spread through his body and the pain slowly dulled.

Khaana drew in a ragged breath, Leofric watched his rib flex beneath the skin and slowly reform properly. Khaana groaned softly, pulling her hands away from him she leaned back and examined her torso. Taking deep breaths, Leofric watched as her side bled through her tunic. He quickly grabbed the dressings, "You took it from me?" he asked, Khaana waved his hands away from her as he went to roll up her dress. "It will heal," she said.

"It was not shallow, you heal but still fairly slow you'll bleed out that that rate." He said. Khaana chuckled, "and you said it was nothing. Lyings a sin isn't it?" She said, lightly pressing the wound. "If you close your eyes, I can grant myself enough spare ability to heal right this moment," Khaana said. Leofric was clearly confused but shut his eyes.  

Khaana let all her illusion she held fall, exposing her true appearance yet again, only the second time in years. Energy revitalized the open wound closed instantly and the rib wound she took from Leofric started to mind. However, Curiosity got the better of Leofric and he peeked one eye open. The woman he saw before him looked wildly different. Body covered in knots, welts, and scars that seemed ancient. her air full, still long but frayed in long kinky coils and waves, long scars down her neck, and a clouded eye. 

"Dear mother of god," Leofric murmured. Khaana froze, it was too late to bring up her illusions, and there was no point. she drew in a deep breath and looked up at him. Leofric's eyes wandered from one old horror story to another written across Khaana's skin. reaching out he took her tunic in his hands and without thinking drew it up and over her head. Tossing it to the ground he could see that the rest of her body looked the same, some scars far darker than her natural tone and some far lighter. Like him, there were dints in her flesh where some would never fill in completely. 

"Did you take all of these from others?" He asked, "A few, yes. The others were earned or given." Khaana said running her hands down her arms, "The burns...from the witch trial?" Leofric questioned. Khaana nodded, "they heal more every day, but covering the scars takes much out of me, so they heal slowly." Khaana sighed. Leofric trailed his hand across several of Khaana's scars.

Khaana gasped as his lips pressed to a scar above her chest, a shiver snaked down her spine. Leofric sunk off the bed and onto the floor on his knees, his arms wrapping around Khaana as he planted kisses onto her scar. taking hold of the sides of his face, Khaana made Leofric stop. "Forgive me." he said, mildly embarrassed, his cheek faintly turning red. Khaana rand her hands through his hair, and made him look at her, "I didn't say stop," she whispered, "My scars have not been worshiped since I left my homeland." She said. "I hide not out of shame, they are my strength I hide so others won't be afraid. for discomforted." Khaana chuckled.

"You shouldn't hide either, I saw your face when I mentioned your scars. We are the ones who survived the worst of it." She said. Leofric's hands felt over her marks as Khaana spoke, carefully, she flipped Leofric lowering him to the ground. Staddling him she rested her palms against his chest as he slipped off his pants. "If someone enters?" Leofric asks, "I cast an Illusion and they see nothing," Khaana said a sly smile on her face, "like this I have more power to expend than before." she said. Leaning forwards she licked along the line of a scar across Leofric's chest, setting his skin ablaze.

Leofric chuckled, "You're a starved creature, Lady." He said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhtred went for a bath out in the wilds, trying his best to clear his mind, today was his wedding day and he could not shake the annoyance of it all. Coming up the road Uhtred heard a familiar canter, a smirk coming to his face as he spotted young Odda atop a familiar horse. 

"You do not deserve to marry," Young Odda seethed, a mile-long frown upon his face. Uhtred tried his best to hide his smirk, "That mare, which stall did you pluck her from?" asked Uhtred, but his question was quickly ignored. "that woman is a lady, you are a heathen. Should you bathe all day you would still stink of pig shit." said Young Odda. Uhtred tied a cloth around himself and rolled his eyes "Have you been watching me, Odda a boy?" Uhtred asked, he tilted his head mockingly "Should I be marrying you?" He asked. Odda gave a tug as the reigns as the large black mare started to pace about acting up slowly.

Uhtred sniggered inwardly but Odda could see his amusement, "ten pieces of silver and you walk away." he offered. With a whinny, the horse continued to prance in place riotously. Uhtred gave a nod and looked about, instantly vexed at the thought he could be bought so cheaply. "I'd wager that horse is not fond of you." said Uhtred as Odda tried his best to get the animal under control, "Does your father know you're here....is that why you've taken a horse which isn't your own?" asked Uhtred.

Odda's face stiffened, "Eleven pieces." he said avoiding the question, the horse reared back slightly, Odda gathered her reigns "whoa!" He called,  giving her neck a pat, settling down a bit she still looked less than calm, snorting loudly. Uhtred's face was calm but his eyes were grinning as he pulled his sword from the banks of the river and walked up the small slope, "I would like my sword's weight in silver." he demanded holding out the blade balanced lightly across his palm.

Odda looked down at the sword with a scowl, "Nonsense..." he muttered. Uhtred smirked, tossing his sword in the air and catching it. "Then I will marry the girl and Plough her tonight." Uhtred mocked, sticking his sword back into the ground. "why would you talk of her like that." Odda asked sullenly, "it is that you want her for yourself? You want her beneath you don't you, Odda?" Uhtred asked.

Odda gathered up the reins and prepared to leave, "You are impossible to reason with heathen, for you everything is a game." Odda said. "I hope for Mildriths sake your life on this earth is cut short." said Odda, he shook his head, "You're no alderman, nor shall you ever beEEE-" Odda's words turned into a shrill yelp as the horse bucked, he tried his best to hold on, but as the mare thrashed about he lost the reigns. rearing back one last time Off slipped the saddle and with it, Young Odda.

Uhtred erupted in a roar of laughter and the mare took off across the river kicking and thrashing her mane about wildly. "It seems like you will be walking home... I will be generous - you can take my horse, and I will calm the one you've 'borrowed' and return her, lest you be marked a thief." Uhtred offered between his laughter. Odda gathered himself off the ground, ears red from embarrassment as he scurried off to where Uhtred's horse was tethered.

Uhtred watched as Odda road away quickly up the road, with one more loud cackle he whistled, and from the snow-covered trees emerged the black mare. catering across the frigid river to meet with him, dark eyes shimmering as if amused. "ha, ha Khaana that was great!" Uhtred called, resting his horse head to hers and rubbing her neck. "Something told me I'd better watch the little weasel this morning," Khaana thought to him. Uhtred pulled his head back and looked into Khaana's eyes, "You hate these forms." he said, "today is an exception. Alfred  would doom me to sanctifying the chapel and prayers until the wedding, and after coming up with ways to keep me in Wessex when you leave to see your brides land and your new home." Khaana said to his mind.

With a frown Uhtred searched Khaana's eyes, "why?" he asked. "Alfred would have us separated, all of this is a ploy to divide us, slowly. He wants you as his weapon and he wants me as a symbol of the divineness of his cause, or his crown. But together...together we worry him, that way may not be manipulated properly." Khaana said. "So my demon horse has returned, won't that worry them?" Uhtred asked with a playful smile, "Nonsense, I'm a beauty if not wholly tamed, you set me free and have called me back on the day of your wedding. That is the story." said Khaana. "Not that anyone will ask, you worry too much," she added.

"Usually you say I worry not enough." Uhtred chuckled getting dressed. "It's your wedding day boy, you don't have to like it. But at least have a bit of fun."

Meanwhile, Leofric knelt in the sanctuary, performing the sign of the cross, looking up towards the sky. "In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good,I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things." he prayed quietly, he paused in his prayer and exhaled, giving his head a shake, "My God, I am sorry, I am not for my sins. I fear she is the only heaven what will await me." Leofric spoke quietly, "and it's only for a moment." He thought.

"So stop being so subtle about it and tell her. gracious, I've done far worse and except it." Eadgyth said from a pew. Leofric looked up quickly turning to look back at his sister as she giggled. "I am a distraction," Leofric stated. "But you could be more, fortune favors the bold, father used to say." said Eadgyth. 

"She is alone here, and on the verge of being left to Young Odda of all people." Eadgyth scoffed, "I happened to have heard who Uhtred is promised too, he will not be unhappy. She is pretty and quiet. Khaana has gotten the shorter stick..." said Eadgyth, "in more ways than one." she giggled. "I Serve that short stick," Leofric muttered. "No, you serve his dad, If you come forward no one would object, they trust you." Eadgyth pressed.

"you're fascinated with her," She continued, watching as Leofric got to his feet.  As he went to speak Beocca entered the room. "We need this place clear, it will be time for the ceremony shortly. The Bride is on her way, Leofric would you mind going to fetch Uhtred." said the priest. Leofric gave a thankful nod and quickly fled the church.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 213 14
When Signe was young, Earl Ragnar banished her father Kjartan and half-brother Sven from his land. But instead of condemning her to the same fate, he...
368K 20.2K 73
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES โœจ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...
6.2K 258 13
She had known many names throughout her life - men had the tendency to rename her. Her brothers had renamed her first, stripping her of her pa...
311K 24K 74
War A word that should inflict fear and terror is seen as the new normal. Kharis is a slave in the castle of Leonidas of Bethillore, Supreme commande...