Turning

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Never did the Avengers think they'd be fighting a space war with a sorcerer, Super Soldiers, humans, a scient... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
Waking From an Icy Slumber
2018
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
Book Four

13

69 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

TITAN

Thanos arrived, finding only fresh debris from Maw's ship.

Doctor Strange, sitting on what might have once been plaza steps, said, "Oh, yeah... you're much more of a "Thanos.""

"I take it, the Maw is dead," Thanos complimented. "This day extracts a heavy toll. Still, he accomplished his mission."

"You may regret that. He brought you face-to-face with the Master of the Mystic Arts."

"And where do you think he brought you?" Star-Lord crouched behind wreckage with his weapon ready, behind Thanos and to his left, Spider-Man peeked from above and behind Doctor Strange.

"Let me guess," Doctor Strange said. "Your home?"

Thanos smiled reminiscently and replied, "It was. And it was beautiful." He curled his Gauntleted fist and activated the Reality Stone to show Strange Titan before it was destroyed -- green lawns, intact buildings, water-filled ponds, strolling citizens, the jack-like structures hovering and connected to the ground-based buildings with beams of energy. "Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, and not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution."

"Genocide."

"But at random, dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a madman. And what I predicted came to pass." He relaxed his fist; the Stone stopped glowing and the illusion faded back into the true state of Titan.

Doctor Strange replied sarcastically, "Congratulations. You're a prophet."

"I'm a survivor."

"Who wants to murder trillions."

"With all six Stones, I could simply snap my fingers, and they would all cease to exist; I call that... mercy."

Doctor Strange stood. "And then what?"

"I finally rest... and watch the sun rises on a grateful universe. The hardest choices require the strongest wills.

Doctor Strange summoned his Mandalas, entering a fighting pose. "I think you'll find out will... equal... to yours."

"Ours?" He looked up to see a chunk of wreckage descending rapidly on him, too rapidly to react -- and powered by Iron Man. He was subsequently crushed by it.

Tony flew in and said, "Piece of cake, Quill."

Quill triggered his mask and followed before saying, "Yeah, if your goal was to piss him off!"

The wreckage on top of Thanos erupted in purple, as he bellowed in rage. He turned the hovering fragments into a flock of bats with the Reality Stone and swarmed Iron Man with them, driving him back through the ruins.

Spider-Man webbed his eyes, and swung in to kick him in the face at the same time that Drax leapt from cover, blades in both hands, to knee-slide behind Thanos and tried for a tendon slid across the back of the Titan's knee.

Doctor Strange jumped through a portal and summoned a sword of golden energy, dueling with Thanos while Drax attacked similarly on his other side. Thanos punched Drax through a ruined wall, then shattered the blade with one hand and tore the web from his eyes. He advanced on Doctor Strange and kicked at him, but Strange's shield absorbed the damage -- the Cloak lifted him free of the ground.

Star-Lord had been making his way back on the ground and shot Thanos from behind. Thanos used the Power Stone to shoot balls of energy at Star-Lord who leapt towards Thanos using magical platforms thrown in his path by Doctor Strange, the last one placed above Thanos' head so Star-Lord could flip over him and slap a mine on Thanos' back. Star-Lord stuck his landing, he disengaged his helmet, flipped Thanos a bird and fell backwards into a portal.

"Boom!" Quill cried.

The explosion knocked Thanos to his knees and dazed him briefly.

Doctor Strange whispered to the Cloak of Levitation, "Do not let him close his fist." The Cloak swooped off Doctor Strange's shoulders and wrapped itself tightly around Thanos' armored hand, who started tugging at the unexpected wrapping.

Doctor Strange began throwing portals everywhere. Spider-Man leapt through one on Thanos' left.

"Magic!" Peter yelled, punching Thanos in the head and vanished through a portal to the lower right before reappearing above Thanos. "More magic!" He yanked Thanos' head down hard, then leapt into a portal in front of him. He leapt through another portal high and behind Thanos. "Magic with a kick!" He delivered a flying kick and fell feet-first into an exit, then appeared on his right. "Magic with a-"

Before he could finish, Thanos turned, grabbed him from the air, and threw him to the ground, hand around his neck.

"Insect!" Thanos yelled.

Thanos threw Peter at Doctor Strange, knocking them both down. Thanos finally tore the Cloak away and was then promptly surrounded by his fiery explosions as Iron Man sucked all the flame into the Gauntlet with the Power Stone and fired it in a stream at Iron Man, hitting him dead on and sent him far away, plowing through a massive fallen machine.

Spider-Man leapt from behind, more conventionally, while Thanos concentrated his fire on Iron Man, webbed the Gauntlet and dropped down in front of him, pulling hard -- but Thanos yanked on the web-line pulling the much lighter teenager towards him, and punching his way past. He tore the webbing free of the Gauntlet just in time for a small spaceship to attempt a crash-land on him.

The ship dragged Thanos along for a distance, burying him under debris. He stood just as the pilot leapt in a great arc to punch him, landing in front of him with an energy-blade at the ready.

"Well, well," Thanos said.

"You should have killed me," Nebula told him.

"It would've been a waste of parts!"

She ran at Thanos, attacking him with her sword. "Where's Gamora?!"

Thanos punched her away. Doctor Strange used the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to pinion the Gauntlet, pulling Thanos' fingers open and tried to pry the Gauntlet off his hand.

Thanos tried to pull free, as Drax slid in from right, kicking his knee and knocked him off-balance, then wrapped himself around Thanos' kneeling leg.

Star-Lord shot an electric trap onto the ground to Thanos' right, the tangle-field holding his unarmored hand.

Spider-Man swung in, webbed Thanos' chest then wrapped it around behind him, digging his Iron Spider legs into the ground to anchor himself.

Doctor Strange opened a portal straight above Thanos' right out of which dropped Mantis, landing on the Titan's shoulders, her hands on his temples. He bellowed as she tried to put him under.

Iron Man, having returned, was pulling on the Gauntlet. Doctor Strange reapplied the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to reinforce the trap's hold on Thanos' right hand, and the Cloak helped him pull. Thanos was finally subdued enough to incapacitate, not fully asleep.

Tony, while pulling, asked, "Is he under? Don't let up."

Mantis began crying as she said, "Be quick. He is very strong."

"Parker, help! Get over here!" Spider-Man dropped his web-line and hurried to help Tony with the Gauntlet. "She can't hold him much longer. Let's go."

Quill flew over to join the others, stood in front of Thanos and taunted, "I thought you'd be harder to catch. For the record, this was my plan. Not so strong now, huh? Where is Gamora?"

"My Gamora...?"

"No, bull-shit. Where is she?"

Mantis, shocked, said, "He is in anguish."

"Good."

Mantis continued crying. "He... he mourns."

"What does this monster have to mourn?" Drax retorted.

"Gamora," Nebula answered.

Quill paused. "What?"

Nebula, realizing with horror and sadness what had happened, continued. "He took her to Vormir. He came back with the Soul Stone... but she didn't."

Tony, grasping the danger before he de-helmeted, said, "Okay, Quill, you gotta cool it right now, you understand." Quill slowly turned to Thanos and Tony shouted his pleads desperately. "Don't, don't don't engage, we've almost got this off!"

"Tell me she's lying," Quill said, becoming enraged. "Tell me you didn't do it!"

"I... had... to," Thanos replied.

While starting to tear up, Quill said quietly, "No, you didn't...! No, you didn't...!" He snapped and began pistol-whipping Thanos thrice in the face, causing Mantis to let go in pain. "No, you didn't!"

"Quill!" Tony yelled.

Iron Man leapt for Star-Lord's arm, re-helmeted and left Spider-Man to pull off the Gauntlet.

Tony, to the struggling Star-Lord, said, "Hey, stop! Stop! Hey, stop! Stop!"

"It's coming!" Peter cried. "It's coming! It's coming!" He got the fingers completely loose. "I got it! I got it...!"

Thanos woke completely, well and truly furious. He head-butted Mantis, grabbing the cuff of the Gauntlet just as it was sliding off his hand, causing Spider-Man to stumble back, then threw Mantis away off his shoulders.

Peter, seeing Mantis with far too much air under her, said, "Oh, God!" He jumped and wrapped his arms and legs around her, extending his spider legs to form a roll cage for a safe landing.

Thanos kicked Drax off his right leg and into Nebula and Star-Lord, knocking them down. He yanked on the Crimson Bands holding his right hand to throw Doctor Strange far away, and swatted away Iron Man and his repulser shots. The remaining Guardians jumped up and charged him again, but he fired a pulse of indigo energy at them that knocked the three of them completely unconscious.

Iron Man zoomed back in, his nianite arm cannon manifested, and was head-butted to the ground. Thanos looked at him for a beat, then raised the Gauntlet towards Titan's moon. Iron Man stared, aghast. Thanos used a combination of the Power and Space Stones to shatter the moon's surface, then brought the debris down on the field of battle at speed. Iron Man powered out of the way but was caught by a chunk of moon about the size of a baseball field, slamming him into the ground. The Guardians went sailing into the air from the rebound.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 91 30
An attempt to create an AI to better the world epically fails and now the heroes are forced to deal with a new threat, and experimented upon twins wh...
15.6K 513 13
A xreader fanfiction. Any gender reader. You were trying so hard to hide your powers but with each passing day it was getting more difficult. Until o...
23.3K 497 31
BOOK 3 OF 3 It all comes down to this. The final fight. It's now or never. This story will contain Spider-Man: Homecoming, Avengers: Infinity War, an...
4.6K 184 40
When you lost your brother, you lost everything. After seventy years of cyrostasis, you wake up in a strange new world with your brothers best frien...