Turning

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Never did the Avengers think they'd be fighting a space war with a sorcerer, Super Soldiers, humans, a scient... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
Waking From an Icy Slumber
2018
01
02
03
04
05
06
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
Book Four

07

72 3 1
By TheQuietHufflepuff

[Flora is super adorable this chapter. I love her so, so much.]

EARTH

The Quinjet arrived at the upstate New York Avengers HQ while Rhodey dealt with the red tape in the holographic person of Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross (Lt. Gen., USA Ret.).

"Still no word from Vision?" Ross asked.

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh," Rhodey replied.

"On a stolen Quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals."

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

"My God, Rhodes, your talent for horse shit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

Rhodey, sounding a little bitter, said, "That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that."

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore."

The fugitive Avengers entered the room, Vision supported by Sam.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve called.

"You got some nerve," Secretary Ross said. "I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now," Natasha told him.

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

"I'm looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight." Steve took a step forward, looking right at Ross. "And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

Secretary Ross said to Rhodey, "Arrest them."

"All over it," Rhodey replied, swiping off hologram and the computer beeped twice. "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap."

Steve hugged Rhodey. "You too, Rhodey." Natasha got her own embrace.

"Well. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star," Sam said.

"Uh, I think you look great," Bruce complimented as Rhodey and Natasha long rounded to see Bruce walking in from the opposite end of the room. "Uh... heh... Yeah. I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce," Natasha greeted.

"Nat."

Sam whispered, "This is awkward."

ANOTHER ROOM

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey questioned.

"And they can clearly find us," Wanda said.

"We need all hands on deck," Bruce told the group. "Where's Clint?"

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal," Natasha replied. "It was too tough on their families, they're on house arrest."

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man," Steve answered.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man? Okay, look... Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not gonna stop until he... he gets... Vision's Stone."

"Well then, we have to protect it," Natasha reasoned.

"No, we have to destroy it," Vision corrected. "I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... its molecular integrity could fail." He addressed Wanda as he neared her.

"And you, with it. We're not having this conversation," Wanda told him.

"Eliminating the Stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price."

Vision took her face gently in both hands. "Only you have the power to pay it." Wanda walked away, distressed. "Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

Steve, diverted down, said, "But it should."

Steve looked up at Vision and added, "We don't trade lives, Vision."

Vision walked towards Steve as he said, "Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people. Tell me, why is this any different?"

Steve took a breath, but before he had a chance to answer, Bruce spoke.

"Because you might have a choice," Bruce answered. "Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. JARVIS, Ultron, Tony, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the Stone?" Wanda asked.

"I'm saying that if we take out the Stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can we do that?" Natasha questioned.

"Not me. Not here."

"You better find someone, and somewhere fast," Rhodey said. "Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back."

Steve replied, "I know somewhere."

RURAL WAKANDA

King T'Challa and Okoye walked together, accompanied by two Kingsguard.

"You'll have the Kingsguard, and the Dora Milaje have been alerted," Okoye said.

"And the Border Tribe?" T'Challa inquired.

"Those that are left."

"Send word to the Jabari as well. M'Baku likes a good fight."

"And what of these ones?"

"These ones may be tired of war." Bucky was throwing a bag from a pile on the ground onto a partly-filled cart, while two village children next to Flora watched. "But the White Wolf and the Ruby Leopard have rested long enough."

The party reached Bucky and Flora. A Kingsguard-man set an elaborate and high-tech-looking equipment case down on the cart, opened the lid, and stepped back. As the Winter Soldier and Bucky approached, they saw a new Vibranium arm in the case.

Bucky and Flora, with resignation, asked, "Where's the fight?"

"On its way," T'Challa replied.

Flora stared at the Vibranium arm, then back to her left stump. Bucky offered a gentle smile and took her right hand.

As they walked towards the building, Bucky asked, "You okay, doll?"

Flora shrugged. "I thought the fight was over and that we could live in peace. But that seems to be too hard to wish for."

Bucky gently turned her around. "I know you're done fighting, but it looks like we've got one more. You think you can manage one more?"

She met his eyes and nodded slowly. "I-I think so."

"That's my girl. What do you think of the arm?"

Flora's eyes brightened. "It's so cool! The mechanics of it and the colors, and just everything about it! I can't wait to put it on." She noticed Bucky staring at her. "Oh, uh, sorry."

Bucky smiled softly. "Doll, you never have to apologize for getting excited about things. It is a very cool arm."

Flora's smile widened as she entered the building. "Come on. I'm more than ready to have two arms again."

Bucky followed her with a soft smile. He hadn't seen her as excited as she currently was in years. This was the Flora he remembered. The Flora who enjoyed inventions, fantasy books and cool new things.

Flora glanced back and smiled as she watched a couple kids chase Alpine. "Be careful!" she warned.

"They know, doll," Bucky said.

"I know, I just... Alpine is- If anything happened to her-"

Bucky nodded, understanding. "She's important to you. Alpine is safe with them."

"A fact I can reside in. Now come on! I want to get this new arm on."

She ran off and Bucky laughed as he followed after her saying, "Wait for me, Flora."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 6.4K 38
Everything changes in the blink of an eye. One minute I'm having the time of my life with a new family, and the next, I am six feet deep hollow of em...
189K 6.6K 81
"Did you forget, Ice Pick?" "I'm your trouble and your gladiator. A killer of the fire." "I'm your worst nightmare." ~~@ @ @ ~~ BOOK 3 People change...
10.4K 178 52
Elisabeth, Libby, Rogers, though being younger, always took it upon herself to look after her often sickly elder brother. A fight in an alley brings...
2.9K 27 52
Connie and Bucky are doing their best to live a peaceful life. For awhile everything is fine. Then it all comes crashing down when they are blamed fo...