Legacy || Stargirl

By angelic-forever

"Woah, that's so cool!" "No! Not cool, Beth! This thing blew a hole in my bedroom wall!" ~~~~~ In which her w... More

Legacy
Cast
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four

Chapter Three

214 13 31
By angelic-forever

There was no laugher surrounding the area of Joey's locker. Despite the crowd that had gathered around it, it was quiet, only hushed mumbles and sniffles. Right after the memorial, many students and the school's staff filled the hall with flowers, pictures of Joey, notes, and letters.

Earlier that morning, when Zoe was waiting for Algebra class to start, she glanced at Joey's empty seat. For a split moment, she just forgot about what happened, as if he would walk in any moment with his typical wide smile and take the seat in front of her. But then reality came crashing down on her.

It was terrifying how one person could be anywhere but nowhere at the same time.

Artemis tapped on her shoulder, "Hey, Jake and I are thinking about going tomorrow to Richie's Diner or the new bowling place that opened last week. You're in?"

They could all use a distraction, one that was far from the school, and Zoe knew that. However, she sighed and shook her head. "I can't. I have the volunteering at the Medical Center, but I'll take a rain check for this weekend. Does it work with your practice schedule?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it. I'll make it work." Artemis replied, grabbing the stuff she needed from her locker. While the dark-haired girl was busy, Zoe's attention was stolen by one of the students in the hallway – Josie Swan. Joey and Josie were the kind of friends to rarely be seen apart as they were practically attached by the hip.

Her eyes were tired and puffy and every few minutes she burst into quiet yet chilling sobs, barely keeping herself together. Honestly, Zoe was surprised she even went to school that day, but she assumed it was probably to share one last respect to her best friend.

If something like that were to happen to Jake or Artemis, Zoe would – she really didn't want to think about it.

The redhead suddenly felt nauseous. She gave a quick look towards Artemis, telling her she needed to go to the restroom for a moment. The second she closed the stall door behind her she felt the tears escaping.

She didn't even know Joey that well, so did she even had the right to feel that upset?

She wasn't aware of how long she sat on the toilet lid, but she let out a gasp as the stall began to illuminate in crimson colors.

No, it can't be happening right now. Not here.

"Zoe, are you still in here?" Her heart skipped a beat as she heard Artemis entering the restroom, her hands still glowing in a variety of shades of red. She really started to hate that color.

When Artemis steps were getting closer to her stall, Zoe froze in her place, trying to calm herself down but her whole body felt the opposite, a power surging through her veins and then—

Please stop. Please, please just stop!

"Zoe?" The door was opened, revealing Artemis' confused look. Zoe glanced down at her hands and they looked as if nothing even happened. No red mist or glow or anything.

"I'm sorry," Zoe almost spluttered, recovering quickly and standing up on her feet, "I just needed a moment alone."

Artemis nodded in understanding, offering comfort with a gentle squeeze to the redhead's forearm. "Are you okay?"

"No, but... I will be," Zoe replied, heading out of the restroom.

And, God, she hoped that was true.

~~~

Spending four hours every week at Blue Valley medical center had turned to more of a routine than their high school's community involvement duty. And while Zoe probably wasn't saving lives like her mother, it felt good enough to help the workers at the reception or offer first aid assistance to anyone in need.

But volunteering at the medical center didn't always end up with the sense of contribution. Because when she was immersed in the sight ahead of her, she couldn't help but feel sadness seeping into her heart.

Henry King Jr. was hunched over the chair he was sitting, not glancing away from his dad for even a moment. If Zoe leaned into the room and listened carefully, she was sure she heard the boy sniffling and quietly pleading, "Please wake up, dad."

He missed school that day, and she heard he barely left his father's side since they had called him the night before.

"Zoe," One of the receptionists, Sarah, called, and it was loud enough for Henry to hear as well. He caught her staring at him from when she was standing close to the doorframe, the expression on his face turning cold. He got up quickly and closed the door in her face, walking back to where he sat without saying a word.

Henry was always so confident, walking down the halls of Blue Valley high with an invincible smile. Now, it was like she was looking at a completely different person. When he looked at her, she could see his red-rimmed eyes and when he stood, she noticed his sagged shoulders.

The girl quickly walked back to her position, beginning to organize the files that had been waiting for her on the reception desk. She let out a sound of protest when they were suddenly snatched from her hands.

"Uh - ah, kid. It's way too late for you to work." Sarah scolded, placing the files on the other side of the stand.

"But I didn't finish," Zoe replied, but the woman only waved her off.

"It's nothing I can't handle myself. Now go get your mom, her shift ended forty minutes ago. Time for both of you to go home."

Zoe let out a sigh but nodded, grabbing her stuff and her backpack. When she couldn't find her mother in her office, her next best guess was to try at Bridget Chapel's office – and she was right.

Beth was there, too, probably jumping by and bringing her mom dinner as she did almost every night.

Julia Bennet's face shifted in surprise when she saw Zoe and quickly glanced at the watch on her left wrist. "I didn't realize it was that late already, but I can't say I'm not relieved."

She stood up from where she was seated, ready to head out when Bridget suddenly suggested, "Julia, could you give Beth a lift home on the way?"

Beth immediately perked up, as if she had been waiting for someone to just involve her in the conversation, while Julia agreed.

"You don't have to, I don't mind staying here with my mom a little longer," Beth sincerely told her.

But Beth's smile faded when her mother shook her head, "You have school tomorrow, and I have a long shift ahead," Despite just starting her shift, Zoe didn't miss the doctor's drained smile, but she had a feeling it didn't exactly have much to do with her work but rather – "Besides, I'm sure Zoe can be a good company. You two are friends, right?"

No, Zoe and Beth were not friends.

Beth did try, though. Many, many times before actually. But Zoe was perfectly happy with the two friends she had, and Beth always seemed too much to handle anyway.

The read-head girl gave her a tight smile in return and looked back at her mother, almost begging her with her eyes to help her with the situation. Her mother, however, just rolled her eyes dramatically at her daughter's behavior and started walking towards the hall outside, wishing her colleagues good night as the two teenage girls trailed behind her.

With an attempt to start a chat as they were walking to the elevator, Beth told them about the dinner she had made her mom, and how she usually made her penne pasta but wanted to surprise her that evening. While Julia really engaged in the conversation, Zoe mostly kept her comments short and took more interest in texting Jake.

"Oh," Her mother stopped as they were facing the elevator, "I forgot my bag and the keys at the office. Just go to the parking lot outside and I'll be right there, okay?"

"Uh," Zoe hesitated, glancing at Beth. It would only take her mother a few minutes, she could survive that, right? "Sure, I guess."

Beth didn't waste a second, already starting a new conversation, causing Zoe to let out a quiet sigh under her breath. It was only when they exited the building that Zoe's attention suddenly shifted to the weird scraping noises outside.

"Do you hear that?" Zoe asked the girl in a hushed voice. She watched as Beth halted, checking their surroundings, and then she gasped. Zoe followed the direction she was looking at and felt her breath hitch – a person dressed in a dark jumpsuit was climbing out of one of the building's windows, while behind them someone else was flying on the same glowing stick from that night at the drive-in theater.

Zoe's legs turned to stone, and she couldn't tear her eyes off the scene that was unfolding right in front of her. That was the same girl, she had to be. And she must have been the reason that crazy stuff started happening to Zoe.

"Come on, Yolanda." The blonde, masked girl urged while flying higher and higher to the roof of the building.

"Yolanda?" Beth repeated, sounding as much shocked as Zoe was.

Only when the two girls disappeared from their sight, Zoe spun to face Beth, "Listen to me, you can't say anything of what just happened to my mom."

"Why not?" Beth raised an eyebrow with suspicion.

"You just can't!" Zoe argued, but she knew it wouldn't be enough, "I-I'll explain later, I promise."

The girl with the glasses pursed her lips, looking very unconvinced when they both heard a voice behind them.

"Girls, what are you still doing out here? You couldn't find the car?" Zoe's mother asked in confusion as she saw the two teens waiting outside.

"No, we just," Beth started and Zoe quickly glanced at her, giving her a pleading look, "Um, we just... saw Barry the guard and wished him a good night."

Zoe let out the breath she was holding, muttering a quiet "Thank you," to Beth as the three of them started to make their way to the car.

They were quiet throughout the ride, and while Julia must have mistaken it for the fatigue that finally began to take over, Zoe's thoughts just continued to race. Confronting the girl with the glowing stick would solve all her problems and finally give her, her normal life back.

As they dropped Beth off at her house, Beth sent her a questioning look. She wanted answers, such as ones that Zoe probably did not have. But that was a problem she would have to deal with later.

Right now, she needed to come up with a plan to find out who was the flying girl.

~~~

Okay everyone, let's get this party started!!!

I'm super excited for you to see what comes next! Also, season 2 has got me hooked and they're doing an amazing job so far

Btw, if you spotted my tiny easter egg then you're officially part of the golly gee society and I love you! 

Let me know what you think of Legacy so far!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.8K 1.4K 11
Fem Percy male Annabeth, crossover DC. This says it all, as does title.😇
72.1K 2.5K 31
"What happened to her?" "A lot of things. She is broken, yet she has enough control over her mind to convince herself that everything is fine." ...
227 1 8
・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。. Things changed when I woke with no memory. ・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.
11.7K 364 14
you only know you love her when you let her go TW // suicidal thoughts