Champorado

By arrowheads

WATTY'S SHORTLIST 2021 EDITOR'S PICK OCTOBER 2021 Jiya Valle learns too late that kissing her sworn enemy sin... More

i. summary + author's note
ii. cast + soundtrack
iii. status
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
epilogue
the vows
author's note
book design

23

7.2K 144 171
By arrowheads

twitter: arrowheadswp

*

"HINDI libre 'tong paghatid ko sa 'yo, ano ako, alipin mo?" Migo says, halatang masungit, habang pinaparada ang car sa harap ng Theo & Brom office. He scoffs in annoyance. "Magbayad ka ng gas, punyeta."

Jiya grins and takes off her seatbelt. "So magkano?"

Kanina pa 'to masungit sa suot niya. Naka-tweed blazer and short skirt kasi siya na terno and white blouse sa loob. Ito 'yong sinabi niya na mukha siyang fuckable sa desk.

Her orientation for her OJT is today, bago sila mag-finals. Sobrang excited niya kagabi pa, and Migo offered to drive her since Saturday naman.

Pero pagkakita niya sa kanya, nagsungit na si gago.

He crosses his arms over his chest and pouts.

Jiya rolls her eyes and leans over, giving him a kiss.

Migo raises his eyebrow when she pulls back. "Ano 'yon?"

"I thought you wanted a kiss," Jiya says, laughing. "Ano ba, pout ka pa d'yan!"

"Oo nga, pero isa lang?" Migo snaps, arm curling around her nape to pull her closer. "Kala mo ba gano'n lang ka-cheap ang gas? Lima!"

Jiya laughs, breathless, in between kisses. Nakakainis 'to, parang bata.

"Sunduin kita after, text me," sabi niya no'ng bumaba na siya. "Love you!"

Jiya mouths the words right back and waves at him, watching his car drive away. Then, she takes a deep breath, smoothing her hands down her skirt, and walks in.

Si Gelo agad ang sumalubong sa kanya when she steps inside the office. He still looks as dashing as he did during that first time they met, kahit naka-brown sweater and jeans lang siya. His hair is parted neatly, and he smiles at her. "Hi, Jiya."

Feeling ni Jiya lahat ng employees dito, nagugulat pa rin sa mukha niya.

"Hi, sir—Gelo." She clears her throat.

He laughs quietly and puts down the papers he was holding. "Shall we?"

Jiya nods and thanks him when he opens the door for her.

Since na-process na lahat ng papers niya, all that's left to do at this orientation is to tour her around the place and let her know kung saan siya magw-work and ano gagawin niya.

"Are you done with school?" he asks conversationally, pressing a button sa elevator. "Or not yet?"

"I still have finals," she answers. "One week na lang."

Gelo nods and steps aside to let her in first. "That's good. Are you excited to work? There's a lot we'll be doing over the next months."

Jiya smiles and nods. "Yes, very."

He raises a thick eyebrow, lips curling up. "Hindi naman siguro kami mapapagalitan ni Mr. Valle for letting you intern here, right? Since you're turning down your company."

Her smile fades and she swallows hard. "I make my own decisions, sir."

He laughs quietly. "Okay, sorry na. Oh. Here." Gelo pulls out something from his coat pocket and hands it to her. Jiya blinks—ID niya! "You were buzzed in by security pero you'll need this once you start."

She takes it slowly and looks at it in amazement. May picture na siya from when Gelo asked her to send to him. Her name is printed under it.

Shit! Gusto niyang tumalon-talon sa saya.

It must show in her face because Gelo asks, smiling, "Are you that happy?"

"This is my dream company," she tells him quietly, still looking at her ID. "Sorry, I'm just—really excited," she breathes, hiyang-hiya sa reaction niya. She puts on the ID and bites her lip, facing the doors.

Gelo's still smiling when he says, "Don't apologize. I find it endearing. Come." Pinaunahan niya ulit si Jiya na makalabas.

She holds in her gasp when an open office meets her—there are rows and rows of shelves of books that partition the desk areas, may sitting area pa sa gitna with couches and bean bags, and huge glass windows let the sunlight stream in. The staff is bustling around on their desks o kaya sa may shelves, ang iba ay pumapasok and lumalabas sa hallway papunta sa meeting rooms and coffee station, talking to each other or on the phone, or looking at the papers in hand. When Jiya raises her head, she's met with a huge staircase coming from both sides to meet at two doors in the middle. May THEO & BROM in huge blocks of letters sa harap ng staircase.

"There's a café downstairs and a library, and more conference rooms. May event space din," Gelo tells her, and Jiya can feel him staring at her face. "And up there is my office."

Jiya blinks at him, and points to the second floor. "You—alone?"

"Editor space," he says with a grin, shrugging. "You'll have the office next to me, you'll work alongside my assistant, si Claire. Pero for now..."

He walks a few steps towards a beam and raises his hand, then rings the bell hanging there.

Agad na nag-stop sa work ang mga tao and tumingin ang lahat kay Gelo. Jiya is frozen.

"Everyone, please welcome our new intern, Jiya Valle. She's starting in the next few weeks, so please do your best to make her feel welcome," Gelo says, gesturing to her, and then he starts clapping.

Pumalakpak rin ang lahat na tumitingin sa kanya, smiling at her.

Jiya blinks rapidly and swallows thickly. "Um, thank you po. I'm excited to be here."

Pagkatapos ng nakakahiyang 'yon, dinala na siya ni Gelo sa taas sa office niya.

Claire has a big desk na punong-puno ng files and papers. Even stressed, she looks presentable, still, and cheerful. She gasps when Gelo opens the door for her and Jiya steps inside.

"My intern!" she exclaims, going in for a hug. Jiya almost stumbles pero Gelo puts a hand on her back to steady her.

Jiya widens her eyes at him sa hawak sa kanya ni Claire, but he just smiles and shakes his head.

"Oh my God, you're so cute," Claire says, hands on her shoulders, eyes wide. "Please tell me you're smart and organized and competent."

"She wouldn't be here if she weren't, Claire," Gelo says, clicking his tongue.

Satisfied, she takes Jiya's hand and leads her to the table next to hers. "Hi nga pala, I'm Claire, I'm that idiot's assistant. You'll be working here, Ms...?"

"Um, hello po, I'm Jiya Valle. I'm an incoming senior from the Ateneo studying AB Lit."

"Okay, so smart!" Claire claps her hands happily. "Alam mo kasi, he can't work without me, kaya sobrang nakakapagod ang trabaho natin. Sorry na rin in advance."

Jiya looks at Gelo, uncomfortable. Hindi niya alam kung tama ba na ganito magsalita si Claire sa boss niya.

Pero mukhang sanay na si Gelo and he just rolls his eyes. "Just give her a brief rundown of her tasks and please don't say anything to scare her. I'm not a mean person, no matter what she says," sabi niya kay Jiya.

Claire huffs and waves him away. "Shoo, ako na dito."

Gelo smiles at her. "Come to my office after."

Jiya nods at him, and he leaves.

Claire sits her down sa couch and gives her a small iced coffee. "Like Gelo said, brief rundown of tasks lang tayo for today. Essentially, I arrange all the manuscripts coming in from our recruitment team and screen them bago ma-pass kay Gelo. I also keep track of his schedule—mga meetings niya with his higher-ups, conferences, or meetings with authors. I sit in with them din, so you might come, too. Gelo values our opinions since tayo rin ang nagbabasa ng manuscripts. You know what kind of books Theo & Brom publishes naman, right?"

Jiya nods eagerly, fingers shaking in excitement sa hawak niya sa coffee.

"Great!" Claire says with a smile. "Also, I help him a lot sa editing process, and we keep track of our marketing sa mga books especially kapag launching na. Keeping up?"

Jiya nods.

"We'll be dividing our tasks, so sobrang thank you kasi ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng katulong." She sighs heavily and shakes her head. "Maarte kasi si Gelo sa mga taong nakaka-work niya, so let's do our best to make his job a little easier, alright?"

She smiles and nods again. "Yes po."

"Please—no po," she laughs. "I'm only a few years older than you, okay? Let's stick with first name basis, since gano'n din kay Gelo. Ah, also, I know sobrang gwapo niya, but don't let his looks fool you or charm you into working overtime. Mahilig siyang mag-stay after work hours and I stay with him sometimes kasi nagui-guilty ako, but mostly because nakakainis, ang gwapo ng itsura niya masyado. Dapat 'di masyadong ma-stress. Kaya don't do it—'wag kang papahulog sa mukha niya, Jiya."

She laughs and shakes her head. "Okay, noted po—noted."

Claire shows her their Excel sheets and the manuscripts she's working on right now, giving her a feel of what she'll be doing pagdating niya sa office after finals. After that, she hugs her and says, "I'm so excited to work with you, Jiya! I'll see you soon, okay? Dala kang decorations for your desk, you'll be here a while."

Jiya feels happy pagkaalis niya because she's so glad Claire is so friendly and welcoming. Sobrang appreciated niya na good working environment na agad ang salubong sa kanya.

Gelo looks up from his laptop on his desk when she knocks and steps inside hesitantly.

He smiles at her and asks her to take a seat. "Sorry, masyado ka bang dinaldal ni Claire?"

"No," she says with a smile, shaking her head. "I'm really glad. Mas lalo pa yata akong na-excite now that I know what I'll be working on."

His smile widens as he watches her face. "Good. HR has your bank details na, you have daily allowance here as well." He stands and leads her outside, opening the door for her. "That's essentially it, but do you wanna grab something to eat for lunch? The food's good sa baba."

Ayaw niyang maging abala kay Gelo especially since he looks like he has a lot of work, so she shakes her head and smile sin gratitude. "That's fine, thank you. I'll get going, may sundo naman ako. Thank you so much, and I'll see you soon."

"Okay," he says, grinning. "Ingat ka pauwi. I'm glad you're here now, Jiya."

Jiya nods back at him, and she smiles at the employees she passes by downstairs who wave at her in goodbye.

Nag-lunch sila ni Migo sa isang Korean restaurant, and Jiya tells him all about her day. Nakikinig lang siya na pinapanood si Jiya, nasa fist ang chin, nakangiti.

Jiya stops talking and raises an eyebrow at him. "What?"

"Wala lang," he says, grinning and shaking his head. "I like picking you up from work and hearing about your day. Parang mag-asawa na tayo."

Jiya rolls her eyes at him, but she's smiling. "Nakakainis ka. Sinabi ko na sa 'yong 'pag doctor ka na and editor na 'ko."

"Preview, preview," Migo says, winking at her. "Go, ano pa nangyari?"

Pagkauwi nila sa condo, Migo pulls her inside his room, not minding Inggo sa couch, who whistles at them and says, "'Wag kayong maingay, please lang!"

"Shut up!" Jiya shouts, cheeks heating, stumbling after her boyfriend.

Migo slams the door closed and kisses her hard, pushing her jacket off from her sleeves and walking her back to his desk, hands on her neck. Jiya gasps from his aggressiveness and almost squeals when he lifts her up to the table, pushing his books away.

Jiya loops her arms around his neck and groans when he hikes her skirt up and pulls her underwear down kaagad, kneeling.

She puts a hand to her mouth when Migo touches her, pero hindi niya napigilan ang moan niya.

He grins when he looks up, one hand inside her, the other spreading her legs. "Shh. 'Wag ka raw maingay sabi ni Inggo."

Sarap sapakin nito, puta!

Jiya pants in his neck when she's done, legs shaking. Migo is laughing quietly. "Ang ingay mo talaga."

"I hate you," she mutters tiredly, kissing his neck, bagsak na bagsak against him. "I can't look at your desk the same way again."

"Sabi sa 'yo fuckable e. Next time, gagawin ko nang totoo."

Jiya grins at him and pushes him back against the bed to return the favor.

Masaya ang week niya kahit nagpe-prepare sila for finals, lahat sila nag-aaral na naman and tumira sa library and Blue.

Si Migo, nagiging baby na naman nang paalis na sila ni Addie after nilang maghatid ng food. "'Di na 'ko mahal ng girlfriend ko!" he whines loudly and dramatically, gripping her wrist and locking her with his legs para 'di na siya makatakas. "She doesn't love me anymore, pa'no na 'to?! Wala nang saysay buhay ko!"

"Drama mo!" Jiya laughs, smacking him weakly. "Sinabi ko lang na kailangan ko na mag-aral! Mag-aral ka rin!"

"'Di na niya ako mahal!" he wails, hugging her tight.

"Ang ingay mo, putangina!" Isco throws a pillow at him.

"Hoy!" Jiya stands up to grab that pillow and throw it in his face. "Bakit mo siya inaaway, ikaw aawayin ko e!"

Pinigilan siya ni Migo na pumunta kay Isco but she manages to toss it in his direction.

Pag-uwi niya from writing a paper with Van sa library, sinalubong siya ni Manang sa gate, parang worried na worried ang mukha.

Jiya blinks and gets out of the car, shouldering her bag. "'Nang?"

"Anak!" Manang comes close and hugs her. "Anak, ang mama mo..."

Jiya pulls back and stares at her, swallowing thickly. "Ano po?"

"The petition was approved na kasi," Manang whispers, worry etched on her face. "And nakaupo lang siya sa couch kanina pa. Hindi pa kumakain, hindi gumagalaw, nakatitig lang sa TV."

Jiya bites her lip and squeezes her shoulder, nodding. "Okay po."

She drops her bag carefully sa counter when she comes in, and nilapitan niya mom niya na nakaupo nga lang talaga sa couch.

She kneels down on her level and takes her hands. "Mommy."

Hillary looks at her, blinking. "Oh, you're here," she says flatly, and then goes back to staring at the TV.

"Let's eat," sabi ni Jiya worriedly, biting her lip. "I haven't had dinner yet po."

Hindi siya pinansin ng mom niya.

Jiya tries again, shutting her eyes. She clutches her chest sa sakit na nararamdaman niya and squeezes her mom's hand. "Mom," she whispers. "I'm here. I'm still here."

Tinanggal niya ang kamay ni Jiya and stands up. "I have to see someone." She goes up the stairs. "Mag-aral ka."

Jiya puts her face and in her hands then runs her fingers through her hair, and sits down on the couch, shoulders slumped. Her phone buzzes inside her pocket.

Papa: You can live with me anytime.
Just let me know.
Papa: I won't stop paying for your
tuition. Anak pa rin kita.

It makes her smile bitterly. She tosses the phone on the couch and sighs, and then watches her mom when she comes down the stairs in a dress, halatang nagmamadali.

She puts on her shoes and leaves without a word.

Jiya sits down at the table with Manang, who takes her hand and squeezes it. She smiles at her and picks at her food.

On her bed, hindi siya mapakali. Parang ang hollow ng pakiramdam niya.

She sits up, quickly wipes away the tears from her eyes, and calls him.

"O ano, mahal mo na 'ko ulit?" sungit niyang bati when he picks up, wala pang two rings. "Ayoko nga."

Jiya manages a small smile, picking at her comforter. "Migo..."

He pauses. And then, "Na-approve na?"

Jiya slaps a hand to her eyes when she starts to sob. "Migo," she chokes out, pulling at her shirt, parang ang hirap huminga. "Migo, please, 'wag na 'wag mo 'kong iiwan," she begs almost pathetically, heart tightening in pain just at the thought of it.

"Valle," he murmurs. "That's not going to happen."

"Ayokong maging mom ko," Jiya sobs, curling in on herself, scratching the skin of her skin. "Ayoko mawalan ng buhay kapag nawala ka sa 'kin, please, please—"

"Papunta na 'ko, stop crying, baby, please," Migo mutters, and naririnig ni Jiya na gumagalaw siya sa kabilang line. "Inggo, pahatid ako, tangina, 'di ako makakapag-drive."

"Let's go," narinig ni Jiya na sinabi ni Inggo.

To her, Migo says, "Baby, calm down. Stop crying, hindi 'yon mangyayari, okay?"

Jiya only cries harder. Her only assurance is Migo's words.

She trusts Migo's words. Alam niyang he means it.

Pero paano kapag down the line, sabihin na niyang ayaw na niya? Na mapagod siya sa kanya and maghanap ng iba—parang dad niya?

Kaya lang naman naghanap ng ibang kabit ang mom niya ay para makaganti sa ginawa sa kanya ng tatay niya. For all Jiya knows, mahal pa rin ni Hillary si Gerard.

Wala na nga lang talagang pag-asa.

"Valle," Migo says, panicking no'ng hindi pa rin siya tumitigil. "Please, love, calm down. Malapit na ako, can you try to breathe for me?"

Hindi alam ni Jiya kung paano niya nakaya nang nakikinig lang sa boses ni Migo. When she hears the car downstairs, her heart lightens—just the tiniest bit. Nandito na siya.

Mabilis ang steps ni Migo paakyat, and dire-diretso siya sa kanya when he opens the door.

Jiya hugs him, and all her worries seem like such small things at his touch.

She exhales deeply and shuts her eyes, magang-maga na.

Migo rubs her back and rocks them, kissing her hair. "I'm here," he whispers. "I'm here, I love you."

Jiya sobs at those words and fists his shirt. "Kahit maging uod ako?"

"Ibang usapan na 'yon, princess," he says, sighing.

Jiya manages a weak laugh and hugs him tighter. "I love you," she says back, voice shaking. "Sobra. Sobrang sobra. Please don't leave me."

Nakatulog si Jiya sa arms niya. Hindi na niya narinig when Migo kisses her forehead and says, "Baka ikaw pa ang maunang iwan ako, Valle."

*

"Anong bullshit 'to!" Hillary shouts, throwing her phone in her face.

Tumama sa mata ni Jiya. She winces.

"3.82, bakit bumaba?!" she demands loudly. "Sinabi ko na sa 'yong ayusin mo 'yang pag-aaral mo, wala ka nang ginawa kundi maging disappointment, my God!"

Dalawa ang B+ niya instead of one. Her cumulative GPA dropped by a few points. A few point zero points.

Siyempre, that doesn't mean shit to her mom.

"May nilalandi ka ba, ha?!" her mom shouts. "Kaya ka ba nabobobo, ha, Jiya? Hindi ka nga law, hindi ka pa magmamana ng kumpanya, ano pang silbi mo?"

Nakakatawa. 3.82, bobo na pala.

"Hindi n'yo po ba maisip na baka dahil sa inyo ni Papa?" Jiya says quietly.

Her voice is shaking. Ngayon lang siya sumagot sa nanay niya.

Hillary's anger scares her, but she meets her mom's eyes when she sneers, "Ano?"

"What kind of parents do this to their kid?" Jiya says, balling her hands into fists behind her back. "Akala n'yo po ba hindi ako naa-affect sa mga nangyayari dito sa bahay? Sa inyo ni Papa?"

"So ano gusto mo gawin ko, ha, Jiya?" her mom challenges, raising both her eyebrows. "So kasalanan ko na 'tong pagbaba ng grades mo?"

Jiya doesn't bother. Wala nga naman siyang silbi.

She leaves the room.

"Jiya! Kinakausap pa kita!"

"Punta na po akong office," she mutters, dire-diretso sa kotse. "Kuya, tara na."

Nag-start na siya ng OJT a few days ago. It was a pain getting around to such heavy tasks, first few days pa lang, pero it keeps her busy, and masaya siya sa work niya.

Nag-start na rin ang summer classes ng boys kaya nasa class na ngayon si Migo kanina pa.

She texts him.

Tell me you love me and that I
should have a great day and
that you'll pick me up for
dinner tonight.

Binasa agad ni Migo.

Pogi: I love you, have a great day, and
i'll pick u up for dinner tonight. Good
morning, wife.

She manages a small smile and wipes her cheeks.

Pogi: your mom saw your grades na?

She sniffles and swallows thickly.

yeah.

Matagal bago nag-reply si Migo.

Pogi: whatever she said, hindi totoo.
you're not a disappointment, you're
never a disappointment and i'm so
proud of you. super. you try your best
all the time and you work hard and
you're the smartest person i know.
you did your best, baby, please don't
think na you didn't. I'm so proud of
you.

If his goal was to comfort her, it worked.

Alam lagi ni Migo ang sasabihin. And alam ni Jiya na he means everything he says.

She wipes her cheeks again.

thank you. i'm proud of you
too.

Pogi: kung ayaw mo umuwi mamaya,
umuwi ka sakin. ako na ang gawin
mong tahanan.

tahanan na kita matagal na.

*

"What do you think so far?"

Jiya looks at her notes, typing as fast she can habang nasa meeting sila.

"Jiya."

She looks up at Gelo's voice, and tinititigan siya ng lahat. Jiya's eyes widen and she swallows thickly. "Oh, um, me?"

"Yes," Gelo says, smile widening. "Go on. I wanna hear your thoughts."

"Oh." Jiya sits up straight and clears her throat. "I left my comments in the manuscript, but generally, I think it has a lot of potential. The writing is sharp and the parallels to Dante's Inferno are prominent and very well-placed. I—I couldn't put it down," she answers quietly.

"I agree," sabi ni Claire, nodding. "He has a good following on her online platform rin, so maybe we can look into that for marketing."

"Print is different from online," sabi ng isang editor. "We might not get the same results."

"But it's a risk I'm willing to take," Gelo says, putting down his clipboard on the table and leaning back against the couch. To Jiya, he says, "I'll take a look at it and see what we're working with. Thank you for voicing out, Jiya."

Lagi niyang tinatanong si Jiya sa mga opinions niya sa kung ano man ang tinatrabaho nila, and he always thanks her for her insight. It's good that he's genuinely interested in her input and hindi hanggang sa pakikinig lang—he actually takes them into consideration, and nang sinabi niya na he'll take a look at the manuscript, alam ni Jiya na gagawin niya talaga.

She stretches pagkalabas sa meeting room and dumiretso siya sa coffee station, rolling her neck from side to side.

"You seem distracted," sabi ni Gelo, leaning on the counter beside her. "Anything bothering you? Ang pagmumukha ko bang sobrang gwapo?"

Jiya rolls her eyes.

She shakes her head. "No, sorry. I can focus for the rest of the day."

"You know, when I feel under the weather, may pinupuntahan ako," he says, drumming his fingers on the surface. "Secret place ko dito sa building."

Jiya looks at him and raises an eyebrow. "Secret place."

Gelo's smile widens. "Why do you say it like that? Secret place ko lang talaga siya. What are you implying, ha?"

She grins and shakes her head, pouring coffee on her mug. "Wala. Where is it?"

"Kaya nga secret, 'di ba?" Gelo says, handing over his mug. Jiya pours coffee on his, too. "Find your own. Ah, also, pwede 'wag kang nagugulat when I ask you questions? Baka akala ng mga colleagues ko tinatakot kita when all I want is your honest opinion. Ah, and make your voice louder, para kang chipmunk kanina."

Jiya makes a move to smack him but stops at the last second, wincing. Shit. Boss niya nga pala 'to.

"Ituloy mo, sige." Gelo laughs. "Wala kang daily allowance today."

"Kaya nga daily 'di ba, kasi every day," Jiya mutters under her breath.

Gelo leans closer and whispers, "Ano 'yon, Ms. Valle?"

"Wala po, sir." She dumps two packets of sugar in his mug. Nalaman niya na dalawang packets palagi for him.

Gelo grins and crosses his arms over his chest. "Thought so."

"Bawal kang mag-threaten ng employees ng unpaid labor," Jiya says childishly, ayaw magpatalo, while stirring his coffee.

"Don't worry, hindi ko—"

Jiya looks up when he stops. Nawala ang ngiti niya and he's staring at her face.

Jiya raises an eyebrow. "What? Lagyan ko ng salt 'to?"

"What's that?" Suddenly, he grabs her chin and turns it to the side, stepping closer to her. She sucks in a breath when his thumb brushes over her skin under her eye. "Kanina ko pa nakita pero akala ko makeup. Para siyang bruise, Jiya. What the fuck?"

"Makeup pero nasa baba ng mata, ano 'yon," Jiya mutters, swatting his hand away. Bumalik siya sa coffee niya. "And wala, it's nothing."

She hears him sigh behind her. "Kaya ka ba distracted? Sinaktan ka?"

"All due respect, sir. I don't appreciate you prying," Jiya says, looking at him. Diretsahan. Nalaman niya, within just the few days of working with him, na Gelo hates it kapag hindi siya dinidiretsahan.

He purses his lips and nods. "Okay. Knock on my door if you need anything, I'll look at the manuscript for the rest of the afternoon."

Binigay ni Jiya ang coffee niya and he takes it gratefully, and they get back to work in peace.

Nang maglu-lunchtime, Migo sends her a selfie with with Cas, Anton, and Inggo.

Pogi: ang pinakagwapo dito ang
boyfriend mo. sobrang swerte mo
talaga.

It makes her smile.

i miss you.

Pogi: ohmygod wag kinikinilig ako
nandito ang boys nakakahiya

eat a lot baby

Pogi: gusto ko ikaw ang kainin ko

Jiya's cheeks heat.

mamaya na tangina mong 
horny ka. kumain ka na

Pogi: MAMAYA AH SABI MO YAN
hekhek love u. have a good day at
work.

Tapos nag-send siya ng maraming heart emojis after. She grins.

Love u more

Pogi: impossible.

Claire stands up from her desk and stretches. "Jiya, let's go for lunch?"

She stands up and smiles, nodding.

The other employees are friendly and warm. Jiya feels so comfortable with them, hindi awkward kahit siya ang bago. Some of them even praise her for her work so far, and tumaba ang puso niya roon.

Parang si Gelo lang ang wala from their office. She frowns and asks Claire, "Si Gelo?"

She rolls her eyes and says, "Workaholic. Lagi siyang umaayaw ng lunch."

Jiya scrunches her nose. Pwede ba 'yon? Nagwo-work nang walang laman ang tiyan?

Oops. Ang hypocrite niya. Lagi siyang gano'n noon when studying, napagalitan na nga ni Migo.

Nag-takeout siya ng sandwich and drink because she feels bad sa pagtaboy niya kanina sa kanya when he was just worried about her. Pagbalik nila sa office, she meekly knocks on his door and waits.

Kapag walang sinabi si Gelo, it means pwede siyang pumasok.

She steps inside with a small smile. He looks up and raises an eyebrow. "Need something, Jiya?"

She comes closer and places the food on his table. "You can't work with an empty stomach."

Gelo blinks. And then he smiles, meeting her eyes. "Were you worried?"

"Baka mamatay ka, hindi pa pwede, I'm learning a lot from you," she says, turning around. "Kumain ka. Sir."

Narinig niya ang tawa ni Gelo sa likod niya before she closes the door.

When Jiya comes back to her desk, there's a text waiting for her.

Gelo: thank you, Ms. Valle. :)

Magsi-six na when Migo lets her know that he's downstairs. She shuts her computer off and shoulders her bag. Siya na rin ang nagpatay ng ilaw sa office nila and locks the door, nauna na kasi si Claire umuwi kaninang five.

Jiya knocks on Gelo's office and enters after a few seconds. "See you tomorrow," she says.

"Take care pauwi," he tells her with a smile, looking up from his laptop. "See you tomorrow, Jiya. Thank you for today's work."

Jiya narrows her eyes at him. "Are you planning to skip dinner rin?"

He leans forward on his desk and regards her with a smirk. "Is that an invitation?"

"A reminder," she corrects, raising her eyebrow. "Umuwi ka na. Sana may buhay kayo outside of work."

It makes Gelo laugh loudly. Throws his head back and everything. "Okay, duly noted."

She grins at him and leaves the building, waving at her co-workers.

Sa baba, si Maureen ang nasalubong niya sa driver's side, waving at her with the window down. "Ate!"

Migo gets out of the passenger seat and opens the door for her, quickly kissing her cheek. He looks tired and annoyed. "She took my car from the repair shop tapos sinundo ako. Sana hindi na lang."

"Ate, ako na nga 'tong mabait and sweet, ganyan pa siya!" Maureen huffs, rolling her eyes. "Nakakainis ka, Kuya."

"Nakakainis ka mag-drive!" Migo shouts.

Jiya grins and shakes her head. "Kailangan niya rin matuto. Just thank her, babe."

Migo rolls his eyes and grumbles under his breath, "Thank you."

"Ate, ikaw lang talaga may mahal sa 'kin," Maureen says.

"Ji," bati ni Cas, nasa backseat pala sila ni Anton. Umusog sila both to give her way. "Kanina pa kami malapit na mamatay dito."

"Kuya Cas naman," Maureen sneers.

"You're doing great, Mau," sabi ni Anton with a forced smile. "Just please don't kill us."

Jiya settles sa likod ni Maureen sa tabi ni Cas and puts on her seatbelt. Bumalik na rin si Migo sa passenger seat and holds on for dear life. "Game."

"Saan si de Paz?" Jiya asks, raising her eyebrow.

"May pupuntahan daw na fling," Anton says, snorting. "Umalis bigla."

Maureen clears her throat. "Okay, game. 'Wag mo na akong sigawan, Kuya!"

"Mag-focus ka diyan, pwede?" nagpa-panic na sagot ni Migo. "Kanina pa ako pinagpapawisan. Go na!"

Hindi naman nakakamatay yung driving ni Maureen. Ang OA ng mga lalaking 'to.

When she pulls up sa restaurant kung saan sila magd-dinner, nagpalit sila ni Migo kasi hindi pa siya marunong mag-park, and siya na rin ang nag-drive sa kanila pauwi pagkatapos magkwentuhan and kumain habang tulog si Mau sa shoulder ni Cas. Napagod yata masyado sa kasisigaw ni Migo sa kanya.

Jiya reaches for Migo's hand and strokes his skin with her thumb.

When he drops her off, he kisses her hard, palming her neck, and buti na lang nauna nang nahatid si Anton and Cas and tulog si Mau kasi nakakahiya. Gusto pa niya.

She rises up on her tiptoes and chases after his mouth. Migo smiles, and he caresses her cheek. "Call me," he mumbles.

Jiya nods. Kisses him again.

Her days pass by like that—habang sina Migo nag-aaral, siya, si Addie, Van, and Isco ay nagtatrabaho.

Vi-ni-sit pa nga siya ni Ipis sa office niya for lunch with Addie, gulat pa silang dalawa sa mukha ng boss niya but she can't blame them. Nakaka-starstruck talaga si Gelo.

"Kaya pala ganado ka sa trabaho," sabi ni Isco, clicking his tongue. "Nakaka-motivate naman."

Jiya rolls her eyes. "Intindihin mo sarili mo. Kayo pa ba ni Van or what?"

He smiles and shrugs. "Darating na yata yung breakup, pero okay lang. Basta kahit friends lang kami, okay na."

Addie bumps her shoulder with his. "'Wag kang maging ghost 'pag nangyari 'yon. Hindi lang si Van ang friend namin sa inyong dalawa."

"Ano ba!" Isco shouts. "Nakakainis kayo! Ayoko maging emotional. Thanos, penge suntok."

Jiya gives him a light one and states flatly, "Istorbohin mo na lang ako ulet kapag kailangan mo. Papayag ako."

Isco tosses a napkin in her face. Ginawa din ni Jiya sa kanya.

Jiya's schedule becomes as packed as Gelo's dahil kasama rin sila ni Claire sa mga meetings niya and deadlines. Halos kulong na silang tatlo sa office from eight to seven in the evening.

Pogi: baby don't overwork yourself
please. and let me know if we can grab
dinner together

Last Monday pa sila last nag-dinner together. Friday na ngayon.

Jiya sighs, massaging her temple and closing her eyes para hindi na lumutang ang mga words sa screen.

Gelo opens the door bigla, holding files in his hand, and says, without glancing up, "Ladies, umuwi na kayo. Rest up this weekend. Tuloy natin on Monday."

"Sabi ng hindi pa uuwi," grumbles Claire, but she huffs and stands up, shutting her computer off and stretching. "Okay, sabi ni boss! Jiya, tara na."

Jiya bites her lip and looks at Gelo. Sobrang pagod na niya, hindi na yata nakakakain nang maayos.

He still doesn't leave his office for lunch, pero kapag dinadalhan siya ni Jiya ng pagkain nakikita niya that the wrapper's in the trash, so good 'yon. Pero ang dinner...hay. Hindi rin alam ni Jiya what time 'to umuuwi. Siya na yata nagl-lock ng buong building nila.

She wants to do what she can to ease his work. She smiles at Claire and says, "Mauna ka na, I'll just finish this."

Claire narrows her eyes at her. "Don't tell me this face is fooling you." She points at Gelo.

Gelo swats it away and sighs tiredly. He massages his forehead and turns to Jiya. "Go home, Jiya."

"Not until you do, sir," she says sweetly, grinning, facing her computer again.

"Okay, basta ako, uuwi na at iinom nang marami. Goodnight!" Claire dashes out of the office.

Gelo puts down his papers on her table and leans forward on it, palms on the surface. His eyes are narrowed. "Umuwi ka na, sabi. I'll drag you out."

"Uuwi ako kapag uuwi ka na, sabi," Jiya repeats firmly, raising her eyebrow in challenge, not breaking his stare. "If you force me to leave, sabihin ko kay Sir Theo na you're overworking your intern."

Gelo blinks at her. "Are you threatening me?"

"Is it working? Po?" She keeps her smile.

Gelo watches her face, and then his lips curve up. "Sige, mags-stay ka dito hanggang umuwi ako?"

Jiya's smile fades. Parang siya ngayon ang threatened.

Dinala siya ni Gelo sa office niya, and they get to work in peace. Si Migo, Jiya texts back.

tomorrow, i'm all yours. i
promise. i love you, i'll call you
pag-uwi.

Pogi: susunduin kita kahit anong time,
nasa condo lang ako. please. gusto
kitang makita. kahit pagod ka ok lang
you can sleep in the car, just let me
pick u up.

Jiya smiles.

ang sweet sweet naman. u
missed me this much?

Pogi: hindi nakakatawa, valle. you're
depriving me of kisses and hugs and
happiness.

sleep over and i'll make it up
to you

Pogi: AAAAAAAA oh my shit!!!!!! ok
pack na ko text mo ko pag papasundo
ka na hehehehehhee <333333

Jiya's smile widens. Tinabi na niya phone niya and turns to her laptop.

Pero nakakainis si Gelo. Past eight na, wala pa siyang balak tumayo o huminto sa ginagawa. Pagod na si Jiya. She groans and stretches.

Hindi siya tiningnan ni Gelo but his lips quirk upward.

Jiya's eyebrow raises. "Are you laughing at me?"

"Umuwi ka na," he says flatly, clearing his throat.

She groans and shuts her laptop closed. Three hours past working time na, gutom na siya! "I'll make a deal with you."

"Not interested," Gelo says, not even looking at her.

Jiya scowls. "Uuwi ako after natin kumain ng dinner sa baba. Kahit dinner lang. Please, I'm hungry."

Gelo's fingers stop typing. He finally turns to her, and amusement is in his eyes. "Fine."

Jiya grins and stands up. Tumayo na rin si Gelo, shoving his hands inside his pockets, and follows her downstairs.

Masarap nga naman ang food nila, may Subway stall pa. Gelo hands her the ketchup and Jiya gives him the mustard. "Are you always this stubborn?" he asks her before he takes a bite.

Jiya sneers. Ano ba 'yan, kahit 'pag kumakain, parang artista pa rin. "Are you always this annoying?"

"Until I get what I want, yes," he answers, smiling. "It's Friday night. You should be out partying with your friends, isn't that what students in college do?"

Oo, pero pagod silang lahat and wala silang gana lumabas. "Lantang gulay na kami kaka-aral and kaka-trabaho," she says, shrugging, taking a bite of her sandwich. "I'll just be sleeping this whole weekend."

"Good. You should. You've been working really hard."

"And you? It's Friday night. Wala ka bang social life? Loser ka ba? Sir?"

He only rolls his eyes and hands her a napkin, pointing to her mouth. "I live alone. My friends are all working rin. And if you must know, I'm not a loser. My face should tell you that enough. Ano ba." Gelo grabs the napkin and wipes the ketchup off her mouth noong hindi pa rin niya nakukuha. He tosses it on the table.

Jiya blinks at him. "Thanks."

He stares at her face, not blinking. "Nawala na," he mutters.

Jiya raises an eyebrow. "Yung?"

"The bruise on your face from before."

No'ng nakita 'yon ni Migo, he put ice over it and showered it with kisses.

It makes her smile. "All healed."

Gelo sighs. "Eat."

They finish their dinner in easy conversation, and nagtawanan pa sila do'n sa isa nilang ka-meeting kanina na parang natutulog na habang pabalik sa office. Buti na lang she texted Migo before they ate, kasi he's downstairs na.

Jiya's face lights up reading his text. Past nine na. She packs up her things from Gelo's office and turns to him with a grin, shouldering her bag. "Uuwi na ako, happy?"

Gelo smiles back and nods. "Very. You have a ride?"

Jiya nods. "Umuwi ka na rin, sabay na tayo sa parking."

His eyes narrow. "Was this your plan?"

"Baka ma-kidnap ako sa elevator," she says flatly.

He laughs. It fills the whole room. "Unlikely, masyado kang annoying. Ibabalik ka rin nila agad."

"Ang rude mo!" Jiya says, huffing. She watches him pack his stuff, and internally, she's celebrating kasi uuwi na rin ang workaholic niyang boss! Good!

Gelo only grins at her annoyed face and opens the door, shrugging his jacket on. "Tara na, bago ka ma-kidnap."

Migo is leaning against his car, jumping on his feet, parang excited na bata na naghihintay sa kanya. Jiya's heart jumps and her stomach fills with butterflies when she sees him as soon as the elevators open.

Behind her, Gelo says slowly, "Driver mo? Parang ang bata."

"Boyfriend," Jiya corrects with a snort. "Halika, I'll introduce you."

Jiya sees the exact second Migo's face lights up when he sees her, and his smile widens.

Bago pa siya magsalita, Jiya gestures to Gelo. "Migo, Gelo, my boss. Gelo, this is Migo, my boyfriend."

"Hello po," Migo says politely, reaching out his hand.

Gelo takes it slowly, a small smile on his face. "Hi."

"'Wag ka na mag-po, ayaw niya n'on," Jiya tells Migo, wrapping a hand around his arm. To Gelo, she says, "Take care pauwi! I'll see you on Monday."

Parang lutang si Gelo na nakatitig kay Migo, and he mumbles, "See you."

Migo kisses her as soon as she's in the passenger seat, pressing her back against the headrest, and Jiya sighs in his mouth, fists her hands in his shirt.

"Pambayad 'to ng gas," he mumbles, lips wet, kissing her again.

Jiya grins, looping her arms around his neck.

"Missed you," he whispers, and her stomach erupts in butterflies. "Missed you so bad."

"Show me how much mamaya," Jiya whispers, and Migo groans, head dropping on her shoulder to kiss her neck, lightly sucking.

"Susuntukin ko 'yong boss mo kaka-overtime sa 'yo," he grumbles grumpily. "Tapos ang pogi pa niya. The fuck."

Jiya giggles when he bites her skin. "Hello po hello po ka pa, ah."

Migo grins and kisses her again.

Makes do on his promise to show her how much he missed her these past few days.

*

("Kuya!"

Migo's head swivels around. Kalalabas lang nila from Berchmans papuntang Gonzaga, tapos nakita niya ang ulo ni Maureen from his car's window, waving excitedly.

"Oh my God—Mau!" Migo runs over and checks his car worriedly. "Kakagaling lang nito sa repair shop!"

"I know, kaya kinuha ko and sinundo kita." His sister smiles proudly. "Get in!"

"Anong get in, ikaw ang mag-get out!"

"Hay nako, Kuya. I need to practice my driving din."

"Not in my car."

"Sabi ni Mama patay ka sa kanya if you don't let me drive it."

UGH. Migo grits his teeth and glares at her. "Fine. 'Wag mo 'kong papatayin, ikakasal pa 'ko kay Valle and aanakan ko pa."

"Ew!" maarteng sabi ni Maureen, disgust on her face. "I love Ate Jiya, but shut up, Kuya. Kadiri ka. Pumasok ka na nga, aren't we picking her up?"

"Uy, Mau!" Cas gives her a high-five. "Are you our chauffeur today?"

She clears her throat. "Pwede na. Hi Kuya Anton, Kuya Inggo."

Anton opens the door sa backseat and ruffles her hair.

Si Inggo naman, nag-step backwards, hands fishing for his phone. "Hi, Rinn. Sorry 'di ako makakasabay. May pupuntahan pala ako."

Migo turns to him with a smirk. "Sino na naman 'yan, bro?"

"Basta."

"Ah, 'di maalala pangalan," Cas says, snorting. "Baka honey number four ang contact name."

"Four? Baka thirty-one," sabi ni Buenca, tapos natawa sila pareho. "Bro, so what you say in bed is 'honey' ba para hindi ka magkamali sa pangalan?"

"Shut the fuck up, assholes," Inggo says, jaw clenching. "Alis na nga ako." He claps Migo on the back and turns around.

Migo shrugs. Si Cas, parang magba-back out na rin. "Punta na lang ako Blue—"

Wait. Kapag sumakay si Migo sa passenger seat tapos si Buenca ang nasa likod, tatabi sa kanya si Valle.

Migo grabs Cas's shirt and bites out, "Sumakay kang gago ka, ako ang maghahatid sa 'yo sa Blue pagkatapos kitang pakainin."

"Bro, kailangan ko pang pakasalan si Addie."

"Ako rin kay Valle, pero papasok ka o I'll send to Addie ang videos mong nakakahiya?"

"Madali akong kausap," sabi ni Cas, and gets in the backseat.

Migo smiles, pero nawala agad ang smile niya nang simulan na mag-drive ng kapatid niyang ewan.

"Ikakasal pa ako, please!" Migo shouts.

"Shut up!" Maureen shouts back.

"Ako rin, please," Cas mutters.

"Wow, ah, salamat," sabi ni Buenca.

Nang makita niya si Valle sa labas ng building niya, nakahinga siya nang malalim. Buhay pa siya para ikasal dito.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 237 20
"ang daya, daya mo." Cherry always felt that she was on the losing end of things. For three years, she tirelessly pursued Phoenix only to be met with...
676K 26.9K 110
Sabrina Ysabelle Montiega wants to take a gap year before senior high school. However, things never go as planned as Sabrielle finds herself enrollin...
4.8K 399 78
a standalone epistolary wherein; Gray and Kinse have been in a situation where they're a couple but doesn't have a label, and when Kinse asked him fo...
271K 6.3K 122
¦ Playlist Series #1 ¦ The story starts when Aleah "Adi" Alegado laid eyes on Joaquin "Kino" Ferolino on one rainy day. "It was just a crush," Adi ha...