Marina Oneshots

By justanotherwriter234

A collection of one shots about the lives of Maya Bishop and Carina DeLuca More

Flatlining
Crying 'cause you weren't around
Flatlining Part Two
Time
Santa's Elf
22:50
I Found You
Love You From a Distance Part Two
A Little Bit Yours
Love In A Photograph
All I Ask Is That I See You Later
Honeymoon Hijinks
Game Of Survival
Game of Survival Part Two
Game Of Survival Part Three
All Is Fair In The Courtroom
A Little Bit Yours Part Two
Ripple In The Ocean

Love You From a Distance

4.5K 79 60
By justanotherwriter234

Summary: When Carina takes over a shift at her brother's restaurant she never thought she would find the love of her life. (This is a terrible summary but I promise the story is better haha!)

A/N: This is for @grangerxstories  I would say I did around 80% of your request - Carina has a different job at the start, but Maya has a completely different job - but I hope you like it regardless!

I was wondering whether to slit this up into two but I just thought that if you want you can always come back to it - plus I think it reads better as a whole but this is a long one (16,000 words) so grab a drink and a snack, get comfy and enjoy!

                                                      _________________________________

It was hot. The type of hot that made your skin crawl and your forehead bead with sweat. The type of hot that made you so uncomfortable that you were almost begging for some form of relief. The type of hot that made you feel somewhat delirious at points, where you mind felt fuzzy and your throat was dry and scratchy, the last drops of water drained from the bottle around an hour ago; which retrospectively was a poor choice, that is only realised when the blast of the AC begins to have zero effect on your attempt to cool the air from the blazing heat.

The road ahead was empty, the only sight being the long stretch of road framed by copper mountains and sand, the sun high in the sky which bounced off the grey tarmac strip. A small, shimmery, reflective haze laid ahead, and no matter how far you drove would never get any closer, an illusion of the mind twisted with the heat from above.

The tyres twisted to the left, the idea of getting a cold drink being the only form of motivation that pushed her to not just spin the car around completely. As she switched the car off, she opened the door and felt the suffocating feeling of calidity enter her lungs, so much so it was painful.

When she pushed the door forward, a small silver bell chimed above her ahead and she took in a large inhale. The air was chilled, the small hum from the air conditioning filled the empty space, compared to the sticky, torturous, humid air of the Californian desert.

"You made it!" A voice said from over the counter.

"You owe me one," was all she replied, walking into the back room.

"No, honestly Carina. Thank you - I know it's your day off but I appreciate you coming all the way down here," the curly brunette man said, resting against the doorframe, his back turned while his sister quickly changed into some new clothes.

"You're my little brother, I couldn't say no," she replied with a cheeky smile, ruffling his hair as she walked past.

"Here I have some lemonade," he said, handing her a glass, condensation dripping down the glass.

She downed nearly the entire thing, her throat finally relieving itself of its parched state. "Just like mama," Carina said, noting the familiar taste.

"Just like mama," he affirmed.

"So, who else is working," she asked, picking up a notepad as well as a thigh length apron around her waist, where she stowed away a few pens as well as the paper.

"Amelia and Maggie," he responded.

"I haven't seen them in a while, I'll go and say hello," she said.

"Thank you again Carina," he said, before walking back into the kitchen.

Carina DeLuca was sister to Andrew DeLuca, who owned a small roadside cafe in the middle of the desert. If you asked Carina to guess the daily number of customers she would have guessed it to be lower than what she could count on two hands, but as she began to help her brother out she slowly realised her assumption had been far from correct.

The place was always filled with truckers and people on road trips, and the occasional person who had taken a wrong turn and decided to make a quick pit stop. She helped when she could, but given it was a fair way from her own home she wasn't able to come down too often.

She looked around the restaurant and mentally counted the eight or so customers sitting at their respective tables, each keeping to themselves - probably all thankful to just be out of the heat.

"Hi you two," Carina greeted, seeing the two women behind the bar top counter.

"Carina! It's been a while," Amelia said, giving her a side hug, any form of close body contact not ideal in this weather.

"I know, I've been very busy lately, but I had the day off so when Andrea called I agreed."

"Well, it's nice to have you here for the day," Maggie added.

"Oh heads up," Amelia said, nodding towards the door. A small chime indicating the arrival of some more customers.

"I'll take it," Carina offered, quickly drinking another glass of water before she headed over.

As she turned the corner, she was met with three women sitting down in the booth. From the back she saw a blonde, a brunette and then sitting on the opposite side, facing Carina was the final woman who had dark curly hair, pulled back into what Carina assumed was a low bun.

As she got nearer she noticed that they were all dressed in identical outfits, olive green short sleeve t-shirts and camouflaged trousers.

"Hello ladies," she greeted, her eyes immediately drawn to the blonde woman. She had these bright, blue eyes that seemed hardened and closed off, yet they peaked Carina's curiosity. What was hidden behind those blue eyes?

"You're new." The blonde stated more than questioned, staring right back at her. The tone in which she spoke made Carina falter for a moment, not quite expecting her to be so direct but if anything it only interested her more.

"Something like that. My name is Carina," she introduced.

"It's nice to meet you Carina," the brunette woman said, giving a pointed stare to the blonde that could only be described as silently saying: what is wrong with you, be nice.

"Likewise. Are you guys in the army?" She asked curiously, the choice of outfit being her main source of evidence.

"Marines," the other woman replied. "Corporal Victoria Hughes," she added, sticking out her hand which Carina shook.

"Corporal Andy Herrera," the brunette said in turn.

"Sergeant Maya Bishop," the blonde finished.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you all. Thank you for your service," she responded with a grateful smile. "So Sergeant huh? Does that mean you are these two's boss?"

"I lead the unit, yes," Maya replied.

"A very good one at that," Vic spoke up. "Even if you made us workout like crazy people."

"You joined the Marines," Maya quipped back, Carina seeing the first smile from the blonde since they'd been talking.

"Okay - can we actually order please? I'm starving," Andy said, interrupting the pair.

"Oh yes sorry. Can I have sausage, egg and bacon, and an orange juice?" Vic ordered.

"Chocolate chip waffles please and a water," Andy said.

"Black coffee and a breakfast burrito please," Maya finished, handing her menu back over to Carina, their fingertips lightly brushing at the contact.

"Of course, I'll be back with your drinks soon," she said, her eyes once again landing on Maya as she spoke before having to turn away.

As she walked back, she couldn't help but hear both Andy and Vic whisper-shouting something to Maya although she couldn't quite make out what they were saying.

"Who was it that came in - you were a while?" Amelia asked when Carina returned to the bar.

"Three women from the Marines," Carina replied.

"Ah they haven't been here in a while," Maggie noted, checking the drink order from Carina before pulling out some glasses.

"Andrea! Order!" Carina said, putting the piece of paper up on the ticket rack.

"Grazie!" He replied.

Back at the table the three Marines were sat waiting for their drinks.

"What the hell was that Bishop!" Andy said, punching her friend in the arm.

"Ow - what do you mean?" Maya replied.

"The very attractive brunette that just came to our table to take our order. Why didn't you talk to her?!"

"I did!"

"Saying: you're new. Isn't talking to her. She was looking at you too!"

"Oh guys c'mon, seriously? I've known her for like two minutes, what could you have gathered from that?"

"That she likes you, or is at least interested in you, did you not see how she was looking at you?" Vic exclaimed, getting excited for the blonde.

"I'm sure it was just the uniform," Maya waved off.

Despite her friends' comments and her somewhat reserved tone she had, of course, noticed the stunning brunette that had served them. She had wavy brown hair that seemed to have this golden, caramel tint when the light hit it through the glass. Her eyes were a similar colour, a caramel brown with small flecks of gold if you looked close enough, and this bright smile.

She was inquisitive, kind, carefree, smart and that was only from that first conversation. Maya had a good sense of character and there was something about Carina that felt drawn to. The only thing was it was currently battling with her desire to be alone, to have no strings, no concerns, no baggage. She'd left all her baggage when she'd joined the Marines - she'd never had any intention to pick any up, until now.

"It was not the uniform, we are all wearing the exact same thing and she didn't look at us like that, so try again Bishop. Go and talk to her, ask her for a drink or something. We have the night off tonight. Make the most of it!" Andy encouraged.

"This is ridiculous," Maya stated, not liking being pressured by her friends.

"No it's not. Just do it - enjoy yourself!"

"Maybe," Maya relented, for the sole purpose of getting them off her back so she could enjoy her breakfast without being bombarded with questions and comments about her dating life, or lack thereof, for that matter.

"Can I get you anything else?" Carina asked as she put down the Marines' food.

Andy and Vic looked at Maya expectantly.

"No we are all good thank you," Maya said, receiving looks from the other two.

"Okay great. If you do, just let me know," and with that charming smile Carina left the table so the women could eat.

"Really Maya?!"

"Enough - both of you," Maya said, her word final. Andy and Vic shared one last look before deciding to leave the conversation alone, for now at least.

The Marines finished their food but not without some more convincing of both Andy and Vic to get Maya to ask Carina out, but after the threat of additional drills the following day they gave up.

In a similar fashion, Carina's shift came and went, the heat was still unbearable and the entirety of her day was spent thinking about a certain blonde haired, blue eyed Marine.

2 weeks later:

"Carina, thank you so much for coming again!" Andrew cried gratefully, seeing his sister walk through the doors.

"It's fine Andrea - I was only going to be doing research anyway," she brushed off, changing her clothes. It was the second time in the past 2 weeks she had helped her brother out and while she liked to tease him about it, she appreciated getting to spend more time with him.

"Ciao Amelia," She greeted the brunette.

"It's nice to see you back here DeLuca, missed us that much?" She grinned.

"You wish," she laughed back. "Where's Maggie?"

"Just serving this couple, here she is," Amelia said, seeing her fellow waitress approach.

"Carina!" Maggie smiled, pulling her in for a hug. "I didn't expect to see you back so quickly."

"Neither did I, but Andrea said he needed me so here I am."

"Yeah, Teddy's kids came down with the flu, and now she has it-"

Their conversation was interrupted by the small chime of the bell, signalling the arrival of another customer.

They all turned to the door, a small smile falling on Carina's lips seeing the blonde Marine walk through the door again.

Maya seemed to stop and have a look around, her blue eyes landing on brown before giving her a small smile as she sat down.

"I'll go," Carina rushed out, not leaving any room for the others to stop her.

She walked over to Maya's table, the blonde dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, a different look compared to her uniform from the last time Carina saw her.

"Hello again," Carina smiled, looking down at the blonde.

"Likewise," Maya said.

"Do you want the same as last time? Black coffee, breakfast burrito?"

"You remember my order?" Maya asked, surprised given the last time she was in here was two weeks prior.

"I remember things about interesting people," Carina quipped back.

"You think I'm interesting?" Maya grinned, settling back into her seat as she looked at the brunette.

"You want to prove me wrong?"

"Not particularly."

"Good. I'm normally right anyways."

"I bet you are. When do you finish your shift?" Maya asked, her true purpose for coming to the restaurant giving itself an opportunity.

"5 o'clock."

"Drinks. 7 o'clock. The Kennedy Bar." Maya said.

"Is that a question?" Carina asked, enjoying the blonde's directness.

"Depends on your answer."

"I'll see you there," Carina smiled, before walking off.

"What was that?" Amelia asked as soon as Carina returned back to her.

"I'm going for drinks tonight," Carina replied.

"You're going on a date?!" Amelia cried, jumping up and down

"Sì," Carina grinned.

"I want all the details - especially as it's with the hot blonde Marine," Amelia said, making Carina laugh.

"Just don't tell Andrea, otherwise he'll go into his protective fratellino mode," she said, as Amelia swiped her fingers across her heart in a cross pattern.

Carina couldn't wait until her shift was over.

Later that night:

It was 6.55 that night and Carina was standing outside the Kennedy Bar. After her shift had ended she'd driven home, showered and changed - not before standing in front of her wardrobe for twenty minutes trying to figure out what she should wear. Dress? Shirt and jeans? Blouse and skirt? Heel? Flats? Jacket? No Jacket? There were too many options.

But, thankfully she managed to decide on some black skinny jeans and a pink long sleeve blouse, a pair of heeled boots and a jacket - despite it being hot out when nightfall came it could get quite chilly.

The bar was a single storey, brick building. Neon signs lining various parts of the wall and a wrap around porch, a few tables scattered around with groups of people enjoying their night. She looked up and saw a sign above which read 'The Kennedy Bar' in lime green, this was the place.

It had an old school charm to it, a characteristic that was carried through into the inside - old 70s and 80s movie posters on the wall along with a healthy collection of sports memorabilia, a jukebox in the corner. Booths covered the left and back walls while tables filled the remaining space. On the right hand side was a long bar, various shapes and sizes of bottles topped the numerous shelves, glasses were hung from the racks above with a line of barstools below.

But the one thing that caught her eye in particular was a blonde haired, blue eyed Marine nursing a glass of whiskey as she waited patiently at the bar.

With a smile and an air of confidence Carina walked towards her.

"Mind if I take this seat?" She asked, standing next to the blonde who had been unaware of her arrival.

Maya turned towards her, her face breaking out into a smile. "You made it." She sounded somewhat relieved, almost as if she hadn't been one hundred percent sure she would turn up.

Carina shrugged off her jacket, placing it on the stool beside her as she took a seat next to Maya.

"You look beautiful," Maya said, her eyes appreciating the well styled clothes that the brunette had chosen.

"Grazie, as do you."

Maya also had on a pair of black jeans, although hers were ripped in various places across the lower leg and knee with a black hoodie and a light denim jacket, a pair of white trainers to match. It was casual yet Carina thought she made it look incredibly attractive.

"Can I get you a drink? You look like a wine kinda woman."

"You would be correct," Carine replied, enjoying the matched level of confidence Maya seemed to have.

"I'll have a white wine over here please?" Maya called out to the bartender who gave a quick nod, throwing his towel over his shoulder.

"Aren't you hot in that?" Carina asked, noticing how hot the room actually was with the combination of the lights and the general movement in the building.

"I've been in warmer places."

"So, Maya Bishop - what's your story?" Carina asked, thanking the bartender as he brought over her drink.

"I don't have a story."

"No?"

"I'm just a girl in a bar."

"I highly doubt that."

"Do you?"

"As I said earlier - I'm usually right. So, I shall ask you again. Maya Bishop - what's your story?"

Maya took a sip of her drink as she looked at the brunette who was looking right back at her, a half smirk, half smile on her face knowing she had won.

"Okay. Fine. I'm a Sergeant, I lead a team of Marines in various missions across war fields in various locations."

"To put it in short," Carina joked, noting the lack of detail from the blonde.

"Pretty much."

"So what do you do exactly?"

"Well...." Maya stopped for a moment to think about the best way to explain her job. She could never disclose mission information, but she could tell Carina what she did. "I guess you could say we drive and transport things. Equipment, soldiers, medical supplies, that sort of thing. But we are all trained in firearms and such too, so I can shoot from a fair few metres away."

"How many is a fair few?" Carina asked, deeply intrigued by Maya's story.

"Five hundred or so give or take with the wind," Maya shrugged.

"Five hundred?!" Carina asked, her mind mentally realising how far that actually was.

Maya nodded.

"That's impressive. I guess," she teased.

"You guess?!" Maya laughed.

"I'm only joking Bella - that is crazy!"

"It's not too bad - our actual snipers can shoot between six and twelve hundred metres," Maya informed the brunette who had wide eyes.

"How long have you been serving for?"

"Eight and a half years - I signed up on my birthday so it's easy to keep track," Maya laughed.

Carina's eyebrows rose at the blonde's answer, "Your birthday? I'm guessing there's a reason behind that."

"Play your cards right - maybe I'll tell you," Maya winked, making Carina smile.

"I think we've talked enough about me. But you didn't answer my question when I first met you," Maya stated, taking a sip of her drink.

"Cosa?"

"So you're a new waitress?"

"Ah," Carina said, remembering the blonde's statement. "Well if I recall you came to that conclusion yourself. You never actually asked," she replied.

"You're going to keep me on my toes aren't you," Maya responded.

"If you play your cards right - maybe," Carina said with a coy smile,

Maya smiled, recognising the use of her own words being thrown back at her. "So, are you?"

"No. I'm a doctor," Carina answered. The blonde's eyebrows raised, clearly not expecting such a different response. "My brother, Andrea, owns the restaurant. He was short staffed so he asked me to step in," she explained.

"Ah I see. So, a doctor - that's very impressive. What do you specialise in?" Maya asked, her interest peaked by the sudden new piece of information she'd learnt about the brunette.

"I'm an OB/GYN," Carina replied.

"Not what I was expecting," Maya admitted.

"No? What were you expecting then?" Carina asked, intrigued by what the blonde's answer would be.

"Trauma maybe. You look like you could handle a crisis or two, high pressure situations," she paused. "Actually, childbirth sounds like a very terrifying situation so I guess they are similar in that sense," she chuckled.

"You'd be surprised by the things I've seen."

"Yeah? Go on then."

"Well, you have the basics, partners fainting and the like, I had one who had to be taken to surgery because he hit his head on the corner of the chair. Stupido." Maya laughed as Carina shook her head, the memory clearly coming back to her. "Then you move up to more of the stranger things. But, I don't just deal with childbirth and the surrounding areas but other things such as the health of the female reproductive organs."

"So, does this mean you have a few crazy stories?" Maya asked.

"Sì, I had a woman who hid $10,000 in cash and wanted to hide it from her ex-husband."

"I'm sorry - how much?!" Maya exclaimed, her eyes wide.

"Then, I had a jar of ashes, a candlestick, hairspray, shower head, oh and I got to witness a gun being removed from a woman's pelvis."

At that admission Maya choked on her drink. "A what?!"

Carina patted the blonde on the back while she laughed, "Sì, poor girl tried to sneak it into a prison for her boyfriend, she was admitted to the ER after she fainted complaining of abdominal pain and then after being examined it went off and shot a man in the leg. She thought it wasn't loaded-"

"Let me guess - she forgot the one in the chamber?" Maya predicated.

"Sì. She didn't even know what one was."

"Wow - I thought my job was dangerous, apparently being a doctor is quite high up on the list," Maya joked, making the brunette laugh.

"So, you seemed nervous earlier. You don't go out for drinks a lot?" Carina asked, the bartender serving them a second round.

"Not too often, no. My life is..."

"Unpredictable?" Carina answered.

"Yes. So, I tend to stay away from relationships, I avoid the pain that they bring. People get bored of me being away, so they eventually leave. I've learnt from those in the past and I find it's easier now," Maya said with a shrug, drinking her whiskey.

"Why are you here then?" Carina asked curiously. If Maya had said she didn't do relationships, why ask her out for a drink.

"Honestly? I don't know. As soon as I saw you, something shifted in me. I had this deep rooted desire to get to know you and I let it go the first time. When I saw you earlier today, I didn't want to let it slip away. If you want even more of the truth I turned up in hopes of seeing you there and asking you out, I guess something was working in my favour today," Maya revealed with a smile.

"Well, I'm very glad you asked. Plus I think anyone who gave up on you, wasn't worth it anyway. You deserve someone who will be there for you when you get home."

"You think?" Maya asked, scratching the back of her neck nervously. No one had ever said that to her before.

"I do. I know that you haven't known me long, but I would like to be that person. If you'd let me?" Carina knew it was a bold move. But, it was worth it. There was something special about Maya. Something unique. Something unexplainably captivating.

She held Maya's gaze as she waited for an answer. She was getting nervous and she pushed it too far, until she saw that familiar cheeky smile wash over the blonde's face.

"I'm willing to try."

Month One:

Maya walked through the busy doors of UCLA hospital, only narrowly avoiding being knocked down by a gurney rushing through the ER.

"Can I help you?" A short woman in a white coat asked.

"Yeah, sorry...umm Doctor Bailey," Maya said, reading from the woman's coat.

"It's Chief Doctor Bailey as matter of fact," she responded, her lips pursed as she waited for the blonde to get to her point.

"Sorry Chief Doctor Bailey," Maya corrected, the woman making her nervous. Which was a very rare feeling for Maya, she was a sergeant in the US Marines, she didn't get nervous. Period. But, here she was.

"Do you need something - I have lives to save," Dr Bailey continued, her eyes glaring.

"I need to see Dr Carina DeLuca," Maya finally revealed.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No - I'm her gir- I'm her friend. Just want to drop off some coffee," Maya said, proving herself by holding up the tray of hot beverages in her hand.

"Fine," Dr Bailey relented. "East Wing, 4th floor, room 208 - if you need further assistance there will be people on other floors you can ask."

"Thank you very much, I appreciate it," Maya smiled, thankful to finally have some directions.

"Next time - don't stand in my halls!" She called after the blonde.

Maya quickly got into an elevator, which took her up to the fourth floor, she stepped out and followed the rest of Dr Bailey's instructions: East wing, room 208.

She received a few stares as she walked through the building, some properly thinking she was a parent or a relative which was why she hadn't been questioned any further. When she finally found the room, she stared at the nameplate. Dr Carina DeLuca, Head of Obstetrics and Gynaecology - seeing the title caused a swell of pride to run through Maya's body. Even though she'd always known about Carina's position, just seeing it in her own eyes made her feel different. She knocked on the door, the sudden excitement of surprising Carina made her form a silly smile on her face.

A muffled response came from the other side, "Come in."

Maya opened up the door, a slight difficulty given the pastries she had in hand but she managed it.

"Has Mrs Andrews already arrived? She wasn't supposed to be here for another two hours-" Carina's back was to the door, clearly expecting one of her staff to be entering her office, instead of the coffee bearing blonde.

"I mean I can always go and check?" Maya teased.

Carina quickly spun around, "Maya!" She stood up from her desk and walked towards her. "What are you doing here Bella?" She asked, circling her neck with her arms.

"You said you were having a long shift so I thought I'd come and surprise you," Maya smiled.

"Consider me surprised," Carina laughed, pulling her in for a kiss. "I missed you."

"I brought coffee and breakfast, well more like lunch I guess," she replied, seeing it was closer to 12 than it was to 10.

"You're the best."

They took a seat on Carina's sofa, Maya handing over the brunette's coffee order as well as the food she brought to which they both eagerly tucked in.

"I didn't realise how hungry I was."

"I can see that," Maya chuckled, seeing how quickly the Italian had demolished the cinnamon swirl bun she'd brought for her.

"How did you know where my office was?" Carina asked, tucking one of her legs under herself as she rested her head on the blonde's shoulder.

"Well, funny story I guess," Maya started. "After almost getting knocked down by a gurney, I was a bit lost and was just standing in the halls when Dr Bailey came and asked me what I was doing." At Mayas' reveal she'd had to engage with Chief Bailey, Carina started laughing, even she got scared of the woman and she'd been working in the hospital for years now. "She is a terrifying woman and I will admit she scared me, but in the end after a brief interrogation she gave me directions to your office," Maya explained.

"That's sweet of you bambina," Carina replied, running her hand down the blonde's arm before clasping their hands together.

"I won't be making a habit of it," Maya said, which made Carina laugh. Both knowing that she was trying to maintain her tough persona.

Month Two:

Carina was currently driving to Maya's apartment, they had been together just over two months now and it had been amazing. They had this undeniable connection that constantly excited the brunette. Whenever she received a text from the blonde she would smile like an idiot and laugh, so much so her friends had begun to notice it at work. Her colleagues and best friends Addison and Jo being her confidants now to anything relationship related.

They were taking things at their own pace which suited both of them perfectly fine, from good morning and goodnight texts, to late night hour long calls, flower deliveries being sent to Carina at work and homemade meals being brought over to the blonde.

Carina couldn't think of a time in her life that she had been happier. Maya brought something out in her that she never knew truly existed, and it was something she never wanted to lose.

Maya had invited her over for dinner, with the promise to cook, which was a very generous offer from the blonde given she didn't have the most experience using an oven and a grill but nevertheless Carina was excited for the night they would have.

She quickly pulled into the parking lot outside Maya's apartment before letting herself in, thanks to the neighbour who was just leaving and left the door open for her.

She climbed the stairs up to the 6th floor before knocking at the door. The wine bottle she brought with her clutched in her hand.

She heard the sound of running footsteps coming towards the door before it opened up, revealing the blonde.

"Hey Bella," she greeted.

"You look amazing," Maya said, opening the door more for the brunette to walk into her apartment.

"As do you," Carina returned the compliment. She put the wine bottle down on the counter before walking back to Maya and giving her a long-awaited kiss.

"You smell nice," Maya said afterwards as she buried her head in the crook of the brunette's neck, the height difference making it the perfect spot for the blonde.

"Grazie, Marc Jacobs," the brunette provided, enjoying the feeling of Maya's strong arms wrapped around her waist.

They were brought out of their bubble by Maya's phone alarm ringing. "That's the chicken," Maya said, regretfully pulling away from the brunette to go and check on the food.

"Do you want to open up with wine?" Maya called from the oven.

"Sì, do you want a glass also?" She asked, knowing the Marine was careful with her alcohol intake.

"Please," Maya replied. She quickly pulled the chicken from the oven, removed the vegetables and took the sauce off of the heat.

Carina poured them both a glass of wine before putting them down on the table, which Maya had already beautifully laid out. She took a seat and waited for the blonde to re-emerge from the kitchen.

"Okay, so I cannot guarantee you won't get food poisoning, but I tried my best," Maya smiled shyly as she put down the plates.

"It looks amazing Bella," Carina responded, being very impressed by the plate of food in front of her. "Where did this sudden culinary skill come from?" She asked.

"Vic may have helped with that," Maya laughed.

"Well, I appreciate it a lot," Carina smiled, her heart warming at the thought that Maya had enlisted her friend's assistance to help her cook.

"I know it's only been 2 month since we started dating but it's crazy how much you already know me," Maya smirked, referring to the brunette's suspicion behind her cooking abilities.

Carina winked in response, "And I can't wait to know more."

After an incredible dinner, followed by a set of cannoli that Maya had bought earlier on, they were now relaxing on the sofa. Carina's head in Maya's lap while the blonde gently ran her fingers through wavy hair. The background was being consumed by the low volume sound of one of Maya's playlists.

"So I had a question," Carina started.

"Don't hurt yourself," Maya teased, receiving a backhanded hit to her arm. "Sorry, please continue."

"You live off-base."

"Correct," Maya confirmed.

"Does everyone, or can you stay on base?" She asked. Ever since she'd first walked into Maya's apartment she wondered about the blonde's living situation. Despite her very minimal knowledge about the military services she did know that people lived on base and had always been curious but never asked.

"It depends," Maya started, trying to think of the best way to explain some of the Marine regulations to the brunette. "So, in the first few years I stayed in the barracks on base, which is where I met Andy and Vic actually. We were all roommates. Then, as you move up the pay ranks - which go from E-1 through to O-10, but that includes Officers and Generals, which is way above my pay grade," Maya began to ramble, but caught herself. "Sorry, back to what I was saying-what?" She asked, seeing the brunette smiling up at her.

"You're cute when you talk about the things you love, I can see your eyes shine when you talk about the Marines - even if it is to do with pay grades," Carina said, seeing Maya blush in response.

"But, yes, as you move up the ranks you get more privileges, so when you reach E4 which is a Corporal, you can move off-base at the Government's expense," Maya explained.

"Sounds very technical," Carina said, not expecting the answer to have as many elements to it as it did. "What about when you aren't here?" Carina asked. She didn't want to think too much about Maya deploying to another country, even though they had only been dating for 2 months, but her natural curiosity won her over.

"Well, we have something called a Service member's Civil Relief Act which means any military member is allowed to break their lease, without penalty, if we are going be away from than 3 months. So quite a few people just decide to pack everything up, pocket their housing allowance and then find somewhere when they come back. But, thankfully for me, the owner of this building is a veteran and he lowers down our rent prices - there's a few of us from the Marines here - so I just decided to keep this place. I prefer having a sense of normalcy compared to changing places every year or so. Plus it's less hassle when you think about it," Maya continued.

"What about Andy and Vic?"

"Andy is married so she lives with her husband Robert Sullivan, who was also in the Marines but now works as a Firefighter. Then Vic, she also lives alone, but if you couldn't tell I'm difficult to live with so we have our own spaces."

"You? Difficult to live with? Never." Carina teased, having already experienced a few of Maya's tendencies including her preoccupation with negative shelf space - whatever that was supposed to mean.

"Shut up!" Maya laughed, before the brunette pulled her down to press their lips together.

"Thank you for tonight," she whispered.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," Maya smiled. "Want to continue it?" She proposed.

"Do you have to ask?" Carina responded. She was quickly answered by the blonde sliding out from under her and lifting her up off the sofa and into the direction of her bedroom.

Month Three:

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Maya asked down the phone.

"Of course it is!" Vic replied.

"What if she says no."

"I highly doubt that," Andy added, from her place next to Vic - it being very convenient that the blonde had phoned while the two had been hanging out.

"I'm nervous."

"Who wouldn't be? Look Maya you're happy and you're in love - even if you refuse to admit and you still have this tough persona we all know that Carina is different. Don't let yourself shut away something like this - don't be afraid to let someone in. You have a great night planned and just enjoy yourself, have fun!" Andy encouraged.

"Okay, okay yes. You're right," Maya agreed, her nerves beginning to subside at her best friend's words.

"Of course we are right!" Vic said with a laugh.

"Now, go and get dressed and make that girl yours!" Andy yelled down the phone before the dial tone sounded.

Maya looked down at her phone with a silly smile, sighed and threw her phone down on the sofa before going to get changed. Tonight, everything would change.

Later that evening....

"How are you so good at this!!" Carina cried, seeing the blonde win yet another round of air-hockey - the red lights flashing indicating another win.

"It's just raw talent," Maya smirked.

"Oh shut up!" Carina replied, bumping Maya's shoulder.

"So we have played three rounds of darts, you have achieved the top score in pac-man, several games of skee-ball and after 3 failed attempts I finally won you a teddy bear from that machine...so Dr DeLuca what do you want to play now?" Maya asked.

She had taken Carina to this new place that had just opened up in town - a cross between an arcade and a restaurant. It was perfect. It had only been around a month ago when she had discovered the brunette's ruthless competitive nature when it came to games after a small get together with Andy and Vic for a game night where Carina had refused to leave until she had won. So, Maya thought there was no better place for her to take her, for what would continue to be a very enjoyable night.

"Can we get another drink?" Carina asked.

"Sure," Maya said, leading the brunette back through into the restaurant so they could sit back down at their table. "Do you think you have enough tickets there?" She laughed, seeing the mountain of yellow tickets that they had collected throughout the night.

"We need to win more if we want to get the polar bear."

"You do know I could buy you one if you really wanted it?" Maya asked with an amused grin.

"That's not the point!!" Carina cried.

"Okay - okay," Maya replied with a laugh, throwing her hands in the air.

An hour later...

"I must admit I didn't think you'd do it," Maya revealed as she and Carina walked out of the arcade, a polar bear wrapped in the brunette's arms.

"I am a very determined person."

"That you are," Maya agreed, giving her a soft kiss. "So there was another reason I asked you to go on a date tonight."

"Oh yeah?" Carina asked, their hands swinging between them.

"These past few months have been nothing short of..."

"Wonderful?"

"Wonderful," Maya repeated. "What we have is special and it's something that, three months ago, I would have been terrified of. Until I met you. You set something off in me that I have never experienced before and never thought I could ever find. You are one in a million and I am incredibly grateful that I found you and that I asked you to get a drink with me because that was the night things changed and I realised that everything I had ever dreamed of was sitting right in front of me. But, I am hoping that tonight I can change something again," Maya now stopped in the middle of the street and faced the brunette who was just staring into midnight blue eyes as she poured her heart out.

"So this is me, asking you if you, if you will be mine and be my girlfriend?"

A short silence fell over them as Maya waited for her answer.

"Sì bambina, but only if you will be mine?" Carina asked.

"Always," Maya responded before pulling the brunette in by the waist to kiss her deeply, not caring who saw or where they were because she was the happiest she had ever been in her life and it was a feeling she never wanted to lose, she wanted it to grow and expand and with Carina by her side she had no doubt that that would happen.

They had gone from strangers to girlfriends with so much more of their journey to go and neither girl could wait to see where their path would lead them, and as long as they were together, walking hand in hand, they would be happy.

Month Four:

It was just past seven in the morning when Maya walked back through her apartment door, her face and body coated in sweat from the burning California weather. She quickly downed a glass of water to relive her body before slipping her trainers off and placing them by the door. As she walked back through the kitchen and down the hall she pulled the bottom part of her tank top up to wipe her face, then she slowly pushed open her bedroom door.

She leant against the door frame and just admired the sight ahead of her. The sunlight was streaming in through the blinds casting a golden glow of the brunette currently occupying the space. The sheets were bunched around her waist, her bare back on display and her dark brown hair sprawled out on the pillows. She was a true goddess and Maya couldn't believe how lucky she was to have this incredible woman in her life.

She crept forward, not wanting to disturb the sleeping brunette just yet. She crawled onto the bed and continued until she was ontop of her before leaning down and placing soft kisses up and down her spine, smiling when she felt her shift in her sleep.

"Bongiorno," Carina mumbled, feeling the weight of the blonde above her.

"Good morning," Maya smirked, continuing her actions.

Carina turned her arm, expecting to feel Maya's naked body given it was how they ended their night, but was met with a sweaty and gross blonde.

"Maya!" She complained, immediately shielding herself from Maya's sweaty and exhausted body.

"What?" She laughed, despite knowing the brunette preferred it when they could wake up together.

"I hate you," she complained, flipping over onto her front.

"Well, I love you," Maya said, both stilling when they realised the three words that had been said. "I - uhm."

"I love you too bambina," Carina smiled, seeing the panic wash over the blonde.

"Yeah?" Maya asked, a wide smile on her face.

"Yeah," Carina agreed, pulling her down into a kiss. "But, please go and shower," she begged.

"Only if you come with me," Maya challenged.

"Fine," Carina relented, allowing herself to be lifted from the sheets with a laugh and carried into the bathroom.

After a very hot and steamy shower the pair were lying down in bed, which was how Carina had wanted to start her morning but given how it had gone - she wasn't complaining.

Carina's head was on the blonde's chest while she had her arm behind her, laughing at a story Carina was telling her.

"So you just got the woman to orgasm so she could have her baby?"

"Pretty much," Carina smiled.

"How did everyone react?"

"Pretty much the same as you. They were all quite awkward at first, some didn't quite want to believe me but we laugh about it now," Carina said.

"Tell me more about your doctor skills," Maya asked.

"Why?" Carina laughed.

"It's really attractive," Maya replied honestly, a grin on her face.

"Just for you then," Carina said, shivers running down her spine as she felt Maya's fingertips trailing up and down her back.

She took a moment to think about what she could tell Maya when their earlier confessions of love ran back through her mind, making her smile. "Okay - did you know there is something called the love hormone?" Carina asked.

Maya shook her head, her interest instantly peaked.

"So, there is a list of hormones and chemicals that our body releases when we are falling in love. PEA is a natural form of amphetamine-"

"Isn't that like adrenaline?" Maya questioned, some of her basic medical training coming into use.

"Sì," Carina confirmed. "Pheromones produced from DHEA create a sense of wellbeing and comfort."

"What's DHEA?"

"Dehydroepiandrosterone," Carina replied.

"Yeah, let's stick with DHEA," Maya laughed. "What's a pheromone?" She added, the word a bit tricky on the tongue.

"A pheromone is like a behaviour altering agent. So, it is something that we produce and it will affect the behaviour of another person," Carina explained, the curiosity Maya had making her feel a swell of happiness. It wasn't everyday that somebody would take such an interest in what she did, most just only wanting to know the basic details or nothing more than the fact she delivered babies.

"So, Oxytocin has been called the cuddle hormone and it stimulates the secretion of dopamine, oestrogen and LHRH. All of these hormones and neurotransmitters are also generally accompanied by poor judgment, which is where the term, 'crazy in love' comes from.

When we're in love, the prefrontal cortex, which is at the front of the brain," Carina pointed to Maya's forehead. "And is where we make most of our good, rational decisions, goes into...hibernation, so to speak. And the amygdala, which activates our threat response defences, basically takes a day off. Which leaves us pretty vulnerable to take more risks. And left alone without our normal neurological protections, we might find ourselves in dangerous and unexpected places we normally wouldn't dream of going," Carina said, finishing off her brief introduction to some of the 'love hormones'.

"So you're basically telling me that you falling in love with me is a result of parts of your brain switching off and making bad choices?" Maya asked.

"Well when you put it like that..."Carina teased.

"You are a nightmare!" Maya cried, pulling the brunette into a hug as they both laughed.

"You do make me feel crazy though. You make my brain feel fuzzy, whenever I'm near you my heart beats a bit quicker and I get nervous," she admitted.

"You do?" Maya asked, with a smile.

Carina nodded. "Well, the feeling is mutual - plus if it takes my brain to shut off in order to be in love with you then I'll happily take it," Maya said, leaving soft kisses on Carina's collarbone.

"Ti amo, bambina," Carina whispered, sliding her hand up to cup the blonde's jaw as she kissed her.

Month Five:

"Ciao Bella," Carina greeted, meeting Maya outside of her apartment.

"Hey you," Maya smiled, giving her a kiss. "Are you ready?"

"For our spontaneous date - I am."

"Good. Keys please?" Maya requested.

"You're sure you know how to drive it?" Carina teased.

"I am almost offended by this question. If I can drive an AM General HMMWV GMV and an AM General HMMWV M1025 I think I can drive a Porsche Cayenne," Maya stated, her mind rambling off the exact models and makes of the cars she drove as if it would make any difference to Carina.

"Showoff," Carina laughed, receiving a wink from the blonde as she took the keys and slid into the car.

They began cruising down the highway, to wherever it was that Maya was taking them, their hands wrapped together while they rested on the brunette's leg .

"So are you going to tell me where we are going?" Carina asked.

"Nope."

"Please?"

"Nope."

"Maya?!" Carina complained.

"Carina?!" Maya said, imitating the brunette.

"Eugh fine," Carina replied, slumping back into the passenger seat.

"How was work?" Maya asked, an amused grin on her face at her girlfriend's behaviour.

"It was good. I delivered two sets of twins and 3 babies - all mamas and bambini were healthy," Carina replied.

"You say it like that's just another day in the office," Maya grinned.

"It is."

"Have I ever told you how incredible you are?"

"Once or twice..." Carina smiled.

"Well, I shall tell you again. Carina DeLuca you are incredible, I honestly cannot ever imagine being able to do what you do. You're amazing," Maya said, her thumb running up and down the top of Carina's hand, her eyes flickering between the brunette and the road.

"Thank you Bella. I think you're pretty amazing yourself - risking your life, every single day you are out there. You are a hero to me and to everyone else," Carina said, returning the compliment.

They continued the car journey, the radio on full blast as they cruised down the roads - the sea peacefully crashing against the shore beside them.

When the song changed Carina gave Maya a knowing look as the blonde tried to pretend she was oblivious.

"Maya?" Carina grinned.

"Hmm?"

"Come on," she tried to encourage, her body beginning to move to the beat - as much as she was allowed to within the confines of the car.

"No," Maya replied, for once she was determined not to give in.

"Please..." Carina tried.

"Carina-" However she was quickly stopped by the fingertips running up from her wrist to her elbow and back down again - something Carina knew would always get the blonde's attention. "Fine." Maya relented before beginning to join the brunette in their very own car concert - the windows all the way down, the wind flying through their hair.

Twenty minutes later Maya pulled the car off the main street and down a turning.

"Where are we going?" Carina asked.

"You'll see," Maya replied with a cheeky grin.

A few seconds later Carina's question was answered when the view of the beach came into full view. However, this beach was unlike anything Carina had seen before - the sand was golden, the last rays of sun bouncing off the grains. The blue hues of the waves pulsed and crashed in perfect synchronisation. The sky was a marble of colour - like an artist's palette - pink, yellow, orange, all stretching far and wide, the light reflecting down onto the water. It was the epitome of peace and beauty.

"This is-" Carina struggled to find the words to describe the sight in front of her.

"I know," Maya smiled. "Come on." She shut the car off and opened her door, circling to open up the brunette's and take her hand. "Want to go for a walk?"

"Sì," Carina nodded, her thumb brushing up and down the back of Maya's hand as they left their shoes in the car and let their bare feet walk across the sand.

They walked further along the beach, a few feet away from the water, a comfortable silence falling upon them as they just took in the atmosphere. The slight twinge of saltiness to the air, the hot sand between their toes, the dwindling heat of the sun as it continued to go down, the feeling of their hands gently swaying between their bodies and the light breeze making the ends of their hair float in the air.

"How was your day Bella?" Carina asked, disturbing the silence but realising she hadn't spoken to the blonde about her own day.

"Tiring. We worked a 12 hour day - running drills, doing some maintenance on our equipment, fitness. My throat hurts a bit too-"

"It's all that yelling you do," Carina grinned.

"How do you know that?" Maya challenged.

"Andy and Vic told me."

"Of course they did," Maya laughed, loving how close her girlfriend was with her two best friends.

"So, why are we at the beach?" Carina asked.

"Do you remember what I told you about my job when we were at the bar?" Maya asked as their hands swung and their feet walked across the sand.

"That it was unpredictable," Carina recalled.

Maya nodded. "When I'm out there I try to find things that give me a sense of routine. Something that I can find that will be there every single day. As harsh as it may seem, that can't be people, and it can't be things because you never know when you will have to move base or when you will be attacked or ambushed. But, I managed to find something."

"What is it?" Carina asked. She could see how much this moment meant to Maya, the way their hands were held together a little bit tighter and the way Maya's eyes sparkled against the sky. She could almost feel it in the air, and she could only describe it as feeling proud that the blonde would trust her enough to share this with her.

"The sunset. No matter where I was, or how hard the day had been. The sun would always set, and then it would rise again the next day. It was the one thing I could rely on. So, whenever I come home I make an effort to always watch the sky, to watch the sun fall and the sky become this beautiful mess of colour. The pinks, oranges and yellows, they are all beautiful as one but when they come together they create something so magical that I can't take my eyes off of it," as Maya finished, she stopped and pulled Carina to face her, taking both hands in her own as she looked up into golden brown eyes.

"You have become such an important person in my life. If you'd asked me whether I'd have a girlfriend six months ago I would have laughed. But you're the best thing that could have ever happened to me. My life isn't easy, but you make it so much more worth living. I wanted to bring you here because this place is special to me - it's the place where I go to relax and where I felt at home, until I met you. You are that for me now. I love you so much and I never thought I would get the chance to tell someone that - so I guess what I am trying to say...is thank you," Maya smiled, wiping away her own tears, as well as the brunette's, both falling quicker and quicker at the blonde's heartfelt and beautiful admission.

"Maya - I love you so much. I never thought that me taking on a shift at my fratellino's restaurant would ever lead to meeting someone like you. I know it's still relatively early on in our time together but I don't think I've ever been happier. You never have to thank me Bella. You have given me so much in such a small amount of time and for that I will be forever grateful. I've never been too good in long-lasting relationships but as soon as we sat down in the bar together I knew you were different and as I said to you all those months ago-"

"You're normally always right," Maya laughed, her forehead resting against Carina's as they held one another.

"Mhm," nodded with a smile.

"I love you," Maya whispered. "And I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying it."

"Me either."

They sealed their words with a passionate kiss - the sunset acting as a background for their love story. A perfect blend of affection, trust and romance and just like the colours in the sky, they are all beautiful alone but when they come together, they create magic.

Month Six:

"Do you need some help there?" A voice said, scaring Carina away from her current actions.

"Ah sì, sorry you scared me," She admitted, but welcomed the new arrival.

"Is Andy on her way up?" Carina asked, as Vic took the other end of the white sheet and helped her tie it up against a wall.

"She should be here any- there she is!"

"Sorry, I was just parking," Andy apologised. "Where do you want me?" She asked.

"Fairy Lights," Carina replied, pointing to a box on the floor.

Over the six months Maya and Carina had been seeing one another, and the three that they had been girlfriends the brunette had become rather close to Maya's best friends. From getting a drink, or having a night-in together or just doing something on the weekend whenever Carina had a free few days from the hospital.

So she knew that when it came to Maya's birthday she had to get the pair involved in some way. Which led them to this moment - all three of them standing on the rooftop of Carina's apartment, putting up fair lights, pillows, snacks and a large white sheet to act as a screen for what she hoped would be the best movie night they would ever have.

Carina had found out that Maya had been deployed for the last two of her birthdays on a year-long spell across seas which meant her birthday celebrations had been limited. So she knew she had to make this one special and with the blonde's love of movies, sweets and chocolate she thought it would be the perfect idea.

"She's going to love this," Vic said, climbing down from the stepladder after the sheet had been securely put across the wall.

"You think?" Carina asked, still slightly nervous.

"100%," Andy agreed with a smile. "What films have you got lined up?"

"Die hard, Psycho, Jaws, The Godfather, Game Night and a few others so she can pick what she wants."

"All her favourites - see it's going to be great!" Vic encouraged. "What time is she getting here?"

"7 - she had a meeting at base and had some things to sort out so she's been gone pretty much all day, so it's given me plenty of time."

"Well, let's get this place finished then," Andy smiled, grabbing a pile of pillows that Carina had brought up.

7pm....

"Happy Birthday bambina!" Carina greeted as Maya walked up the stairs.

"Thank you my love," Maya smiled, giving Carina a kiss. "A doorstep welcome - how chivalrous of you," she teased, seeing Carina standing outside her own apartment door.

"That is because we aren't going inside," Carina replied, taking Maya's hand. "We are going upstairs."

Carina led the blonde down the hallway before turning to go up the set of stairs that led to the roof.

"Whats-"

"Just follow me," Carina said, opening up the door. "Happy Birthday Maya," Carina smiled, seeing the look of surprise and excitement on the blonde's face.

"Happy Birthday!!" Andy and Vic yelled, jumping out with their hands in the air.

"You guys!!" Maya laughed. "You did all this?" She asked, turning towards her girlfriend.

"Andy and Vic helped, but I wanted to give you a birthday you would never forget."

"Well mission accomplished already," Maya replied, giving her another kiss.

"Go on Bella," Carina said, pushing Maya out towards the movie night set up. Carina had to admit the three of them had done a good job - the warm light from the fairylights cast a magical feeling over the rooftop, with tons of cushions splayed out with piles of blankets and a whole table full of all of Maya's favourite snacks and drinks. It was perfect.

Maya just took in everything around her, a smile gracing her face as she was engulfed by her two best friends. "Thank you guys, this is amazing!" She said.

"Thank your incredible girlfriend," Vic replied.

They all moved to sit down, making sure they had filled up their bowls with popcorn and chocolate before getting under the blankets as the first film played out. One of Maya's all time favourites - Die Hard.

"Yippee ki yay motherfucker," Maya said in synchronisation with Bruce Willis - a small chuckle following afterwards.

"You're cute," Carina whispered with a grin, Maya's arm pulling her in closer as she just smiled. She'd accepted the fact that her girlfriend would call her cute from time to time and they both knew she secretly loved it.

"Ah I love that movie," Vic said, stretching out.

"You can't beat it," Maya said as she got up to get more popcorn and another beer from the ice-bucket that Carina had put under the table.

"Do you remember when you did the bit with him in the vent when we were away?" Vic asked, the memory coming to the forefront of her mind.

"When me and Jones had a battle to see who knew the most quotes? Yeah I remember because I won," she said triumphantly. "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..." Maya said, making the three laugh.

"Do you want your presents now?" Carina asked as Maya returned to her seat and Andy began to set up the next film.

"Presents!" Maya cheered while taking a drink before throwing some popcorn into her mouth.

Carina jumped up and went to retrieve a bag she'd hidden behind some pillows and placed it down in front of the blonde.

"Okay - go on then," Carina said, as Maya opened up the bow holding it together. She took out three neatly wrapped gifts and put them down in size order. The first being a collection of the blonde's favourite chocolate.

"Give her a week and that will all be gone," Andy teased.

"I would be offended by that, but it is probably true," Maya laughed.

The second one was a softer package and folded up neatly. She peeled back the paper, a wide grin forming as she began to unravel it.

"Is this what I think it is?" Maya asked.

"Maybe..." Carina smiled, her head resting on the blonde's shoulder as she continued to open her gift.

"Seahawks jersey!!" Maya yelled, holding it up. "Is this you telling me you will finally come to a game with me at some point?"

"Yes it is," Carina revealed, making Maya cheer and throw her fist in their air.

There was one thing about Maya and that was that she loved football, and growing up in Seattle she had always supported the Seahawks, something that had followed her even though she moved to California.

But Carina had once made the unfortunate mistake of being at Maya's while a game was on meaning she had to endure the entire night of the blonde yelling at the tv screen, making commentary on things she had no clue about it although it had eventually worked in her favour with a reward of victory sex as the team carried through another win.

Since then she had never watched another game again, mainly because she couldn't stand the hours of the blonde just pacing around the room and yelling random words at the screen every so often - but this was her way of finally giving in to Maya's requests to go and see a game with her.

"Look at the back," Vic said, making Maya quickly flip the jersey around and see the name 'BISHOP' in silver letters at the back, the number 19 accompanying it below, the blonde's favourite number.

"This is the best - thank you," Maya smiled, giving Carina a series of kisses.

"Hmm - You're welcome," Carina replied between kisses.

"Okay lovebirds you have one more," Andy said, throwing a piece of popcorn at Maya's head.

"Later?" Maya proposed with a cheeky grin.

"Later," Carina confirmed with a final kiss, being thankful her shift started in the afternoon the next day.

Maya moved onto her final present which was quite heavy, she looked down curiously at it before ripping open the paper.

"Carina..." Maya whispered as she saw what it was.

"I thought you could have a place where we could put all the memories of our relationship in - a story of our journey," Carina explained as she watched Maya open up the scrapbook and look lovingly at every page.

From their first official date, the secret photos she had taken of the blonde and those that Andy and Vic had captured of the pair, of one's at Vic's birthday and the night Maya had asked Carina too be her girlfriend - each one told a story and each one held a beautiful piece of their journey together.

"You did all this?" Maya asked, seeing the small notes that Carina had written under every picture. 'The night we both got a bit too drunk on your sofa', 'I'm officially yours!', 'Game night!', 'You look cute when you're asleep' - as well as the date that they were all taken.

"You are amazing," Maya said, pulling her in for another kiss, not caring what Andy or Vic said.

"Happy Birthday mi amor," Carina smiled.

Month Seven:

"How much longer do we have?" Carina asked, from Maya's shoulder.

"Around an hour or so left," Maya replied, playing with the rings around her girlfriend's fingers, as she adjusted her cap on her head.

"I can't wait until we get there. Seven days of uninterrupted peace and quiet," Carina said, wrapping her Boyd a little bit tighter around Maya's arm.

"Me either. I don't think I've taken a holiday off from work. I'm surprised they gave me the time off."

Maya had been given the notice that she would be deploying again, which meant her time with Carina was limited. She knew she wanted to do something special so they could hold onto one another for just that little bit longer, so when she'd suggested a short vacation to the brunette she knew she'd made the right call.

This idea however had not come without planning. For each month you were an active-duty member you would acquire 2.5 days of leave, which would total up to 30 days a year. But, Maya was not exactly one to use them to relax, never really having a reason to unless Andy or Vic had all but demanded they go away for a night or two. She mainly ends up spending them at her apartment, occasionally taking a road trip or two. But, having an actual reason to put down on her 'leave chit' - a form where one would request time off, felt good. It felt like something Maya could get used to, finally having found her reason to rest and love and see the beauty in the world.

Her command had also been pleasantly surprised to hear she was taking a vacation, and even more surprised when Maya had divulged who she was in fact going with. She had a good relationship with her command, a mutual respect that was also extended to a professional friendship.

But, her leave had been approved and now they were off on their way to Cancún, Mexico to stay at the Villa del Palmar Cancún beach resort. Both were excited about taking this next step in their relationship, but to also create some memories for the two of them.

4 hours later they had finally landed and checked into their hotel. It was a beautiful place, with restaurants, spas, pools and everything you could ever ask for in a place. The sun was shining and the smell of the sea gave both women an overwhelming sense of relaxation.

It was now day four of their vacation. They'd spent the first days exploring as much as they could, heading down to the beach, renting out a jet ski and speeding their way across the ocean, Carin's arms wrapped tightly around the blonde as they laughed. They'd also relaxed by the pool, taken a trip to the spa as well as taken a day out to look around the general area - having some lunch at a small local restaurant. Before having a walk along the beach as they watched the sunset.

Which now was becoming a tradition between the two whenever they could - a special one too that both wanted to continue for as long as possible, and one that would tie them together after Maya would leave for deployment.

The early morning sun was shining through the window, the silky white blinds gently swaying in the breeze as the two laid in bed, just taking in the calmness they were both feeling. Carina's finger was slowly running down Maya's side, following the inked lines that were there. It had become a subconscious habit that she'd picked up ever since she'd discovered the artwork that occupied part of Maya's body.

"Bambina?" Carina asked, the blondes eyes shut despite her being awake and just enjoying the sensation of the brunette tracing her finger along her body.

"Yeah?" Maya replied, slowly opening up her eyes to meet inquisitive brown.

"What does your tattoo mean - I've always wondered?" She asked, continuing her actions as if she was drawing it herself. She knew that not every tattoo had a meaning, but with Maya everything had a reason. It was actually one of the many things she loved about her - because even the simplest of things contained some thought behind them, making them, in Carina's opinion, just little bit more special.

The tattoo in question was fairly simple in concept. It was a collection of three trees, the one in the middle being slightly bigger with two smaller ones either side. It was minimalistic and had been done as if with a pencil - almost like a sketch.

It was something that had always fascinated Carina, she'd sometimes stay to come up with reasons for why the blonde had chosen this specific design but had never asked her. In a way she liked the mystery that surrounded it - but while they were cuddled up in bed, the feeling of being on vacation putting any worries they had at home, she found that she had a desire to know.

"Well, you know that I grew up in Seattle," Maya started, getting a nod from Carina.

She'd known a brief summary of Maya's childhood, she'd been a long-distance runner all throughout high school, had won Nationals four years running, she'd then been recruited for the US Olympic Team and had won gold in London 2012. After that she'd decided she'd need to leave her abusive father and step out into the world on her own, so she'd joined the Marines at 22 and had never looked back.

Maya had told her when they'd first met that if she played her cards right she would tell her the story of why she signed up on her birthday and one night after a long day at work for both women Maya had told her.

2 months ago...

"Hey Maya," Carina asked from her place in Maya's lap.

"Yes my love," Maya replied.

"Do you remember when we first went to the bar?"

"Best night of my life - of course," Maya grinned. "What about it?"

"You told you would tell me why you signed up on your birthday if I played my cards right and I think I've done pretty well-"

"I would have to agree on that one," she teased. "But, yeah I'll tell you. So, after I won the gold I knew I wanted to stop running. I found that I hated it, I hated the competitiveness and the memories and stress it brought me, so I left home. I packed my things and I left. I explored the states, took road trips and went to all the National Parks and just enjoyed nature. But, I made myself a promise. If, by twenty two, I had not found something that had made me happy I would do something worthwhile with my life. So, four years passed and I did odd jobs here and there but never found anything that made me feel alive. So, on my twenty-second birthday I joined the Marines. I took part in basic training and I found that while it was still competitive, we were all there for the same deep-rooted reason. To be a part of something," Maya explained.

"Were you scared?" Carina asked.

"I was. I didn't quite know what I was stepping into but when I was there I felt happy. I felt like I had people I could rely on and I felt like I had a family, and that was something I'd never had."

"I'm glad you found your happiness bambina," Carina smiled.

"Me too, and I'm glad I found someone that brought me even more," she added.

"I love you," Carina said, laughing at her girlfriend's cheesy words.

"I guess I love you too," Maya teased before being brought down for a kiss.

Present time...

"When I was seventeen me and Mason were allowed out for the night on a camping trip. My dad was away at a weekend conference so we had two whole days free of him. So, we took advantage of it. We grabbed our tent and we headed to the woods. I'll never forget that weekend, because it was one of the only times when I was younger that I felt truly happy and at peace.

We took so many pictures while we were there, but there was one of the trees that Mason took. When I found out he'd left, I decided to get the picture tattooed - so I'll always have a piece of him with me," Maya finished.

"That's beautiful," Carina said with a small smile. She knew family was a tough subject for the blonde, but hearing her talk about something so personal and so close to her heart nearly made the brunette cry.

A few hours after their heart to heart they were swimming in the pool outside the hotel. Thankfully for them, kids were still in school which meant that it was pretty quiet around the grounds, allowing the pair to relax in the peace and the sun.

"If you dunk me one more time Maya!" Carina warned, wiping her eyes from the water for what felt like the umpteenth time.

"You just make it too easy," the blonde laughed.

"I'm your girlfriend, you're supposed to be nice to me!"

"I am nice to you."

"I beg to differ," Carina replied, folding her arms.

"Oh don't be sad just because you lost," Maya chuckled, pulling the brunette into her arms.

"I didn't lose - you cheated!"

"I did not cheat!"

"You did! How am I supposed to beat you in a swimming race - you're a Marine. You're built for these things!" Carina complained, making Maya laugh.

"Sounds like a personal problem to me babe - anyway you're taller than me so technically you should move faster," Maya argued.

"You're infuriating - you know that right?"

"Oh I do - you tell me frequently," Maya laughed, resting her forehead against the brunette gently pushing back some of her hair from her face.

"You're not too bad though," Carina added with a smile, before she wrapped her legs around the blonde and passionately kissed her, her arms wrapping around her strong shoulders as the world fell silent around them.

They slowly pulled apart from one another as air became a problem, their eyes opening and the familiar sparkle being shared between the pair.

"Want to go up to the room?" Maya asked, wanting to get the brunette naked under the covers and to make the most of their final days of vacation before they had to return home, especially while she was in that bikini.

"Later." Carina said. "But, first, mozzarella sticks and cocktails. Hurry up Bishop. I'm hungry," the brunette said, before swimming away.

"So was I," Maya mumbled.

"What was that?" Carina asked, getting out of the pool.

"Nothing babe - I was just on my way," Maya quickly replied, saving herself.

Maya could definitely get used to spending vacations with her girlfriend and she was sure this would be the first of many more to come and for the first time in her life, being able to spend time with someone in this way excited her.

Month Eight:

Neither of them wanted to wake up, because they knew if they did it would be the last time they woke up next to one another in what would be a long time.

Today was the day. The day Maya would head back to base for the final preparations before her next deployment. She would be there for around a week having to carry out a variety of tests including a physical, medical, mental evaluation that would ensure she was fit to return back to her services. While Maya wouldn't technically be leaving for another few days, this would be the last time they saw one another before she had to go.

They had long talks about what would happen while Maya was away, with the blonde explaining some basic details of the process, how they could stay in contact while she was gone as well as answering any questions she knew the brunette would have all of which she answered to the best that she could.

While Maya had deployed a good few times in her career, this was the hardest one she'd had to go through - because she finally had something worth staying for. Carina had changed her life, she'd come in like a breath of fresh air and taken her by complete surprise. She never thought she would find anyone who she would love as much as she did Carina, nor someone who could love her, for all her flaws and faults and unusual circumstances, but she had.

"I wish we could sleep forever," Maya heard from the woman in her arms.

"Me too, my love. Me too." she replied with a sigh, the exact same feeling coursing through her veins.

Carina shifted under the covers, her eyes opening to see ocean blue staring down at her as she twirled blonde hair between her fingers.

"How long do we have?" Carina asked, the question lingering in the air. It was unwanted, but needed to be said.

"I have to leave here at 12, so we have around 4 hours or so," Maya said, her fingers tracing up and down Carina's back as she felt a similar sensation run across her tattoo. She would miss these moments. The moments of complete peace. The moments where she was hopelessly in love, where she felt like she was on cloud nine all the time and the moments where she was able to be with the love of her life in their own little bubble, the world and their responsibilities a distant memory.

"Well, we will make these the best four hours we've ever had then," Carina declared, pushing herself up and giving Maya a passionate kiss.

"You're mean," Maya said, sitting down at the table.

"I don't think giving you four orgasms is mean, but please go on," Carina laughed with a smirk.

Maya blushed and shook her head, her girlfriend's frank use of the English language, and Italian for that matter, never failing to surprise her.

"What I meant was you cooking me all this nice food, I'm going to feel hungry all the time when I'm away," Maya complained with a smile as she continued to tuck into her fresh plate of French toast.

"Oh I do apologise for the inconvenience," Carina teased, pulling a raspberry off her fork.

"You need to stop doing that too," Maya warned, waving her fork at the brunette.

"What this?" Carina replied, repeating the same action with another berry. "Why?"

"Because I still have to pack and if you keep doing that we won't leave the bed."

"And that's a bad thing because?" Carina teased, wanting to capture this single moment forever. In a time where they could both be crying and feeling sad, they were laughing and smiling and Carina would do everything in her power to know just how much Maya was loved before she left, even if it broke her to see the blonde go.

"You are trouble," Maya replied, taking her and Carina's now finished plates to the sink.

"So you've told me many, many times."

With Maya not knowing how to reply she simply walked back over to the brunette and picked her up off her chair and put her over her shoulder.

"Maya!!" Carina yelled.

"I told you, I have to pack!" Maya laughed, running them into the bedroom.

An hour or so later Carina was helping the blonde pack up the last of her things into a large duffel bag that lay at the end of the bed.

"Is this everything bambina?" Carina asked, seeing the various piles.

"Pretty much, I'll be given some things when I'm at base so this is just the essentials really." She had a few different sets of things, a shower bag with all her things in, shampoo, deodorant, shower gel etc, laundry detergent, a pillow and then she had her iPad which was used for watching films, reading books anything that she could download as wifi was never a given, nor always safe to use. Then she had two tubs of crunchy peanut butter, a few bars of chocolate and some other home comforts that she wouldn't be able to get when she was away.

She'd also packed a few pictures from the photo album Carina had bought for her birthday so she could hold onto some of their memories while she was away. Her favourite being one that she had taken of the brunette while they'd been at Andy's birthday - she had a lopsided party hat on, was slightly drunk but looked undeniably beautiful in her cropped white t-shirt and black jeans.

She wanted to put this one in her helmet, a place where soldiers would commonly put pictures of their loved ones as a constant reminder of those that they had at home and up until now Maya had never had a reason to participate....but now she did, it felt like the best thing in the world.

She would be given all her uniforms and additional gear on base so she didn't need to worry about that but she had packed all her underwear and some other clothes that she would need. She felt strange, she'd been through this same procedure countless times but as she began to pack her things up she felt this emptiness.

This longing to stay, and it was all because of a certain Italian brunette who was folding up her clothes. In a sudden surge of desire Maya took two steps forward, cupped Carina's jaw and kissed her. All of her love needing to be expressed at this very moment.

Carina quickly got over the initial surprise of Maya kissing her and deepened it, pulling the blonde down as they laid back onto the sheets, Maya's hand pushing aside the pile of socks as their lips effortlessly moved together....

"What was that for?" Carina asked with a smile.

"I love you," Maya said. "I love you so much and I know we promised not to get sad about anything but I need to tell you because....because I don't know what's going to happen out there. I wish I could promise you forever and if we were in a different situation I would. I would promise you the world and I also know that me saying this really isn't want you to hear but I am not guaranteed a lifetime with you. But I can promise you that I will love you for every day that I can and every day after that. You, Carina DeLuca, are the love of my life," Maya said, her eyes doing all the talking that needed to be said.

"You're the best thing that has ever happened to me Maya Bishop and I will always love you, no matter what. Whether I have to love you from a distance or from in my arms, I will always be yours," Carina replied, her eyes glossy as her hand gently held the blonde's jaw, both just staring into each other's eyes hoping they could just stay here forever. "While we are being sad and emotional I have something for you."

"Me too," Maya smiled, rolling off of the brunette as she went into her drawers to get her gifts as Carina quickly ran to the living room to bring out her own.

They both sat cross legged on the bed, facing one another as they handed over their respective gifts. "You open yours first," Carina said, gesturing to the bag in Maya's hands. She smiled as she unravelled the ribbon and pulled out three neatly wrapped gifts, each with a handwritten label - very Carina. Ever since Maya had known the brunette she'd noticed her girlfriend had a thing for neatness, whether it be gift wrapping, her clothes or her work - everything was in perfect order, so much so even Maya was shocked by some of it.

Maya opened up the first one and smiled - it was a set of necklaces, each a rectangular shape with part of the side cut out, and when they came together it formed a heart - however what was most intriguing to Maya was the numbers engraved on top of it.

"What are these?" Maya asked, her thumb brushing over the coordinates.

"Look it up," Carina replied, her knee now tucked under her chin as she anxiously awaited Maya's response.

Maya grabbed her phone and typed in the numbers, her hand instantly coming up to wipe away the tears as she saw where the numbers led her too.

"The beach..." Maya whispered.

"You told me that that was where you felt at home, until you met me. So, I wanted to put the two ideas together - so you will always have the beach and my heart with you wherever you go...and I will have yours; two halves of one whole..." Carina tailed off before being swiftly cut off with a kiss.

"You're perfect - do you know that?" Maya asked with a soft smile.

"You may have mentioned it," Carina laughed.

Maya set aside the necklaces before moving onto the second gift. This one was heavy and felt-bookish, which funnily enough was very accurate as she unfolded the paper. A leather bound book falling into her lap. Maya's brows furrowed as she tried to figure out what it was.

"Okay so I think I should explain this one," Carina started. "I was talking to Andy and Vic a few weeks ago about what I should get you and they were telling me this story about the first deployment they ever did with you. They told me how you used to write in a journal, things about your day, letters, notes, stories, whatever you wanted but then they said you stopped. But, I wanted you to continue so I can share this part of your life with you - if you want to use it to write letters or just put down random information, it's up to you but they told me how much you used to love it..."

"Carina-this is amazing. Thank you," Maya smiled, her hand running down the solid leather of the book. "I used to write but as I began to climb the chains I think I forgot about the little things that made me happy, I became too goal-orientated. Focused on the next mission, the next deployment but you seem to have changed all that and you clearly keep reminding me of what it feels like to be happy," Maya said, gesturing to the book.

"You're welcome bambina, I'm just glad you liked it," Carina smiled.

"Final one," Maya said, opening up the paper, but as she did so she was met with lots of smaller pieces of paper spewing out across her lap. Letters. Fifteen of them to be exact.

Maya swallowed her tears as she read over the titles of each individual one: Open when you miss me, when you're sad, when you're stressed, when you want to laugh, when you need me to remind you how much I love you (p.s it's a hell of a lot), when you're having trouble sleeping, when you're bored, when it's Christmas, when it's New Years Eve, when you want to take a trip down memory lane, when it's Valentine's day, when it's our one year anniversary, when you're bored part 2 (p.s you may want to be alone when you open this one!), when you're having a bad day, when you're coming home to me.

As Maya's eyes read over each title she smiled. "Carina...I-I don't know what to say," Maya whispered. She'd never received a gift like this, a gift that had so much thought, so much care, so much...love put into it.

Of course she'd received gifts from Carina in the past, her birthday and other occasions but this was special. This was different. This meant so much more to her than anything she'd ever been given - a meaning much deeper than words could ever explain.

"Carina you don't know how much this means to me-I honestly-I don't know what to say except thank you. Thank you for being you, thank you for being more than I ever deserved, thank you for loving me," Maya said, her head shaking in disbelief at how one person could be so perfect in every way.

"You never have to thank me for that bambina - I just wanted to do something nice for you. I know it's going to be hard while you are gone, and I don't think I truly know just how much so, but if I can do something to make it somewhat easier then I will. These letters are a way for me to be able to talk to you, even when I can't physically be there in-person or through a screen. Plus now everyone will know you are officially off the market," she finished with a cheeky grin making Maya laugh.

"I do have one question though?" Maya said, sifting through the letters again. "What's in this one?" She asked, holding up the one named: Open when you're bored part 2 (p.s you may want to be alone when you open this one!)

"Just a few pictures..." Carina winked. In every one there was a handwritten letter, with some including pictures or some small gifts - New Year's Eve for example contained a handful of confetti which she knew would make Maya smile, even if it was for a small moment.

"I can't wait," Maya smiled - she knew being away was going to be hard, but these letters might just make it a little bit more bearable. "Can I give you mine now?" She asked, reaching for her own bag of gifts.

Carina nodded as she was handed a heavy bag that was also rather large. "What is in here?" Carina laughed.

"You'll see," Maya replied, hoping the brunette would like her gifts.

Carina looked curiously into the bag, pulling out some tissue paper followed by three gifts - a little more haphazardly wrapped, but that was typical Maya and it made her smile.

She pulled out the first gift, which resembled a pillow albeit just a bit shorter in length. She tore open the paper and smiled as she revealed what was inside. A hoodie. Well, not just any hoodie. It was the blonde's favourite one, and to anyone this may seem like a pretty normal gift but the thing about this hoodie was that Maya never let anyone wear it. Carina knew that because she had tried countless times to try and get her girlfriend to let her wear it, but had been denied her requests every time.

It was a reddish burgundy colour with white writing that simply read San Francisco, California Est. 1850. She'd gotten it while being on a short weekend trip with Vic and Andy and while it reminded her of the time she'd spent there it was the most comfortable thing she owned. It was fluffy and warm and just the right size for her to cuddle up on the sofa with. So, for her to give Carina the hoodie, she knew the brunette would understand it's meaning.

"Maya..." Carina smiled. "You didn't have to," she said, running her hands over the piece of clothing, the strings twirling between her fingers.

"I figured that even if I can't be here, you can still have something of mine."

Carina brought the hoodie to her face and sighed as she smelt the familiar scent of the blonde. It was a mix between sandalwood, lime and the blondes perfume which was no surprise given that the first two were the scent of Maya's body wash; which Carina may or may not have a bottle of at her apartment.

Carina then moved onto the next gift, a smallish rectangular black box. She looked down curiously at it before pulling open the top.

"I guess great minds think alike and all," Maya said sheepishly as she watched Carina take out two necklaces.

They were dog tags, similar to those that Maya wore when she was on active duty. On them they had each other's initials, the words 'you're mine' as well as a small cut out heart in the bottom right hand corner. Maya watched as Carina ran her thumb over the date that occupied the top half of the tag.

"You know what that is?" Maya asked knowingly.

"The day you asked me out," Carina smiled, her mind flashing back to that night at the bar. "Bambina these are perfect," Carina said, pulling the blonde in for a tight hug, her tears threatening to fall with each passing minute.

"I love you so much," Maya whispered.

"Ti amo anch'io," Carina replied, her face buried in the blonde's neck.

"Come on, last one," Maya said after some time, pulling away from the hug.

Carina wiped under eyes before pulling out the largest, and heaviest gift from the bga. She opened up the present and was both confused and surprised to see a clear, glass jar filled to the brim with what looked like chocolate - also very typical Maya.

"So, I have a feeling you're a bit lost," Maya started, guessing correctly when the brunette nodded. "Okay, well as you know I am going to be away for seven months which means I won't be able to kiss you for a very, very long time."

"Oh trust me I know," Carina said, the exact number of days engraved into her brain.

"But, there is a solution - sort of," Maya continued. "In this jar there are two hundred and fourteen Hershey's kisses. One for every single day I will be away from you plus a few extra for the special occasions: Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, our Anniversary plus the day I finally get to come back to you and be in your arms. But this is for you to know that I will be thinking of you every single day and while I know they aren't exactly the same I figured it would be a nice way for me to tell you that I love you every single day, even if I can't do it myself," Maya explained, Carina's hand wrapped in her own.

"I'm going to miss you so damn much," Carina said, her tears returning.

"Me too baby, me too," Maya said, welcoming Carina into her arms as they just held each other, never wanting to ever let go.

2 and a half hours later...

"I know you have to, but I really don't want you to go," Carina said, Maya's hands in hers as they stood by the door, Maya's bags at their feet.

"I know," Maya replied. She knew how long deployment was, and she knew how lonely it could get there, but this time it would be a whole new experience for her, because this time she had someone to miss, someone to care for back home, someone to love.

"We'll be okay," Carina said, her words a statement over a question because she knew they would be okay. Their love was stronger than any number of miles and like Carina had said to the blonde earlier. She didn't care whether she had to love her from a distance or from right here in her arms. She loved Maya Bishop with everything she had, and would never stop loving her.

"We'll be okay," Maya reaffirmed.

"You be safe - okay," Carina said.

"I'll do my best, my love. I'll be fighting to come back to you as soon as I can."

"That's all I can ever ask of you Bella," Carina smiled.

"I'll be back before you know it," Maya whispered, the brunette's forehead resting against her own as they just tightly held each other.

"And I'll be waiting for you when you do. One Hershey's kiss at a time." Carina smiled, the blonde's face matching.

"You promise."

"Sì, I promise."

A/N: If you made it this far - congratulations!! That was the longest 'chapter' I have ever written and at this point I genuinely think I am incapable of writing anything short haha! This was inspired by the film Jarhead and I thought it would be the perfect basis for Maya to have a different job so I really hope you enjoyed. I tried to be as accurate as possible with my work, taking parts from the film and I did lots of research into various elements of life in the Marines but I did take a few creative liberties with some aspects but nevertheless. 

Thank you all for reading - you have now officially exhausted me of all my work so I don't know when the next update will be but I do know the next one shot that I will be writing so it's just a matter of time and planning it all out!

Thank you again!

See you next time!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 3.3K 42
Carina & Maya. A dating app. A love story? N.A. Maya G!P N.A.1 : english is not my first language
28.2K 726 30
Just a bunch of one-shots about two very amazing characters.
583K 9.5K 87
A Stefania and Danielle story, they meet and instantly fall in love, fighting the challenges of sexuality, keeping their personal lives private, and...
19.5K 358 17
Maya and Carina oneshots and episode continuations. Some stories follow the Marina Winter Cheers prompts.