Carliene Stark

By Loupon

Carliene Stark is captured after the red wedding and brought to Casterly Rock where an unexpected marriage wa... More

Part I - Summer's Pain - Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Part II - Autumn's Gain - Chapter 1
II Chapter 2
II Chapter 3
II Chapter 4
II Chapter 5
II Chapter 6
II Chapter 7
II Chapter 8
II Chapter 9
II Chapter 10
II Chapter 11
II Chapter 12
II Chapter 13
II Chapter 15
II Chapter 16
II Chapter 17
II Chapter 18
II Chapter 19
II Chapter 20
II Chapter 21
II Chapter 22
II Chapter 23
II Chapter 24
II Chapter 25
II Chapter 26
II Chapter 27
II Chapter 28
II Chapter 29
II Chapter 30
II Chapter 31
II Chapter 32
II Chapter 33
II Chapter 34
II Chapter 35
II Chapter 36
II Chapter 37
II Chapter 38
II Chapter 39
II Chapter 40
II Chapter 41
II Chapter 42
II Chapter 43
II Chapter 44
II Chapter 45
II Chapter 46
II Chapter 47
II Chapter 48
II Chapter 49
II Chapter 50
II Chapter 51
II Chapter 52
II Chapter 53
II Chapter 54
II Chapter 55
II Chapter 56
II Chapter 57
II Chapter 58
II Chapter 59
II Chapter 60
II Chapter 61
II Chapter 62
II Chapter 63
II Chapter 64
II Chapter 65
II Chapter 66
II Chapter 67
II Chapter 68
II Chapter 69
II Chapter 70
II Chapter 71
II Chapter 72
II Chapter 73
II Chapter 74
II Chapter 75
II Chapter 76
II Chapter 77
II Chapter 78
II Chapter 79
II Chapter 80
II Chapter 81
II Chapter 82
II Chapter 83
II Chapter 84
II Chapter 85
II Chapter 86
II Chapter 87
II Chapter 88
II Chapter 89
II Epilogue
Part III - Winter's Reign - Prologue
III Chapter 1
III Chapter 2
III Chapter 3
III Chapter 4
III Chapter 5
III Chapter 6
III Chapter 7
III Chapter 8
III Chapter 9
III Chapter 10
III Chapter 11 - Under Construction
III Chapter 12
III Chapter 13
III Chapter 14
III Chapter 15
III Chapter 16

II Chapter 14

734 31 1
By Loupon

Carliene

My eyes shortly grazed the rest of the assembled household that stood off to the right side of the gate. Servants and guards and knights and handmaidens and I tried to make out the sigils on some of the shields, but found myself already overwhelmed. There was still a lot I would have to learn. 

Ser Baelor lead us through the gate, where two colourful litters were waiting at the bottom of a broad and winding pathway leading up into the castle. 

I was more than relieved to see them as Olenna had claimed my arm again and as we followed I realised how slow and frail she really was. 

The litters had been decorated with different coloured roses, no doubt to honer the Tyrells, but the old woman made no comment. 

"I think I understand why your father never leaves his tower" she stated loudly as Ser Baelor offered his hand to help her climb into the first litter. 

"We have prepared our best rooms for your comfort my Lady, there are baths and fresh linens awaiting you and refreshments and food for your entire company" he assured with a smile as the litter was picked up by the servants.

"And the fabrics and parchment I have requested?"

"All awaiting in your chambers" he raised his tone slightly as the litter was carried away. Then his attention turned to me. "Please my Lady" he gestured to the second litter. 

My eyes darted around, noting that besides the two of us there were also his brothers and the Hightower wives. And only one litter. My gaze travelled up the cobbled pathway. 

"Oh I am happy to walk, surely there is someone else who needs it more than I do" I pointed out, gazing over the surrounding faces again, my eyes resting on Baelor's wife. 

"But we have prepared it for you my lady, we are all used to the climb, but after your journey-"

"Lady Rhonda" my eyes were still fixed on the tall woman and the more I studied her the more the small bump in her gown stood out. "You must tire quickly, I would like to offer you my seat" I gestured to the litter. 

Confused and puzzled faces met me,

The woman gave a nervous smile. "That is kind of you my Lady but I assure you that isn't necessary" her hand was placed onto her abdomen almost subconsciously. 

"Is this your first child my Lady?"

She hesitated just a moment before agreeing. 

"Then you will accept my offer and thank me in a few months" I decided, hoping my tone was confident enough to keep her from resisting further. "Besides, a walk will give me a better chance to admire this magnificent home of yours" I added to ease their compliance. 

After another moment hesitation Rhonda Hightower finally accepted to climb into the litter and be carried up into the castle while the rest of the Tyrell company and the Hightower welcome party set into motion to ascend the first level of the tower.

"That was a kind thing you did my Lady" Ser Baelor spoke as we walked and watched the two litters up ahead. "My wife is not one to be of weak stock, but your consideration is admirable" 

"I am just trying to make a good impression" I wasn't sure why I was so honest, but I somehow felt like I did not want to put up a front of false courtesies. At least not with him. 

He surprised me by giving me an authentic chuckle. "I'd say for starters you were succeeding Lady Stark"

Lady Stark. It was good to hear, but I could still not help to think of my mother whenever that title was spoken. 

The first part of the cobbled road lead through a tunnel of sorts, black walls to either side, lined with hundreds of torches which illuminated large and heavy looking tapestries. By the way the colours had faded on them I was sure they must have been ancient and in the dim light I could only make put some scenes of battles and of some nobles depicted on or around the Hightower. The ceiling was stone too, but in order to let some more light in, square holes were strewn across it, where daylight could slip though and split the harsh darkness. It must look magnificent once the sun is high enough to shine through them, I realised. 

After about a hundred feet there was a courier where the path turned to the right. As we walked around it I could see that it went on further than I would have imagined, climbing at a steady slope. I understood that it was in order to get wagons of supplies into the castle and larger troops or even an army if necessary. 

Instead of following the road further Ser Baelor turned towards a flight of stairs to the left just after the bend. Approaching them I noticed two things: how steep those stairs were and how stained my breathing as getting already and just for a moment I regretted having declined the litter. 

Out host seemed to be bale to read my mind. "I should have warned you of these before you gave away your ride" he mused.

I only grabbed hold of my skirts in determination and started the climb. There were so many people behind us and so many of them were older or heavier than me or clad in heavy armour and many of them probably went up and down these stairs every day. And I was determined not to be put aside as some frail Lady of sorts. 

The steps were soon illuminated by daylight, but there were still a few hundred feet to go before reaching the top. I did my best not to show my exhaustion and to keep a steady pace as I soon noticed that Ser Baelor and thus the whole company was adjusting his pace to mine to be courteous. When I finally reached the top I almost stumbled over the last step, but managed to catch my footing, hoping no one would notice. My chest rose and fell quickly and by its heat I was certain my face was more than red. They had the good sense not to comment on t though. 

"Lady Jeyne will guide you to your quarters" the smiling knight stated as the round woman approached. "Feel free to make demands, we will do our best to fulfil every need you may have"

"Thank you" as I said the words I realised that I did not have to put on a smile, but that it came naturally. Something about this place and these people made me feel comfortable.

My body and mind is probably just glad to be off the sea.

"Come Lady Stark" the woman's voice was rough but kind. 

The stairway had ended on the top of the lowest portion of the castle. In front of us the orange brick tower continued to reach high and higher into the sky, surrounding it was a luscious garden, with neatly trimmed hedges and colourful bushes and twisted trees with grey wood and dark leaves. A sandy path lead up to what must have been one of the many entrances of the castle and I found myself amazed at how much space there as. I could make out garden paths circling the tower and by the sheer size of it all I was sure that it would take at least an hour to make a whole trip around it by foot.

"You have been placed in the lowest quarters" Janei explained. "It does not have the best views, but in consideration for Lady Tyrell's knees..." she trailed off.

"I am sure she appreciates that" I told her. "And please, call me Carliene" I offered. 

She gave a wide grin and I noticed the freckles on her cheeks and chin for the first time. "Jeyne"

A small knot formed in my throat. I had called her Janei.

"Something the matter?"

I shook my head, trying to get the memories of the clever blonde girl out of my head. "No" I assured forcing a small smile, my hand travelling to my chest, where the piece of ember hung beneath my dress. 

"There will be a feast tonight to celebrate your arrival" she explained as we entered the castle. "There will be singing and dancing and the finest dishes that Oldtown has to offer"

Out here one could almost forget that there is a war raging on and that the rest of Westeros in slowly falling apart. 

The first thing I realised was that it was very cool inside the castle and that the wind tore through some of the outer halls rather harshly, not unlike Dragonstone.

"We have sent our best girls to help you wash up and rest after your long journey"

"That is very kind of you"

We arrived at a white door and she pushed through it revealing the spacious rooms beyond. The windows were high up near the ceiling of the chambers, but many candles had been light to bathe the white dressers and cushioned benches and thick rugs in a warm light. Potted palms and ivy were strewn about the room, making it feel almost cosy. To the left was a round alcove, where a steaming tub of copper stood on a marble floor that could be reached by a few narrow steps. Large white curtains framed the alcove and could be drawn shut for more privacy. To the left was another platform, this one made of dark wood, with a massive bed frame atop it. I could feel my body relaxing by just looking at it. It would be good to sleep in a steady bed again.
Three women were in the room, dressed in simple grabs and white aprons to mark them as servant girls. They bowed their heads and hushed their voices as we entered. 

"If there is anything else you need, juts ask" Lady Jeyne touched my elbow gently. 

I only nodded. 

"See you at the feast" she closed the door behind her. 

I looked around the room again. No wonder the old woman had been so eager to leave Dragonstone when this is the kind of luxury she is used to. Not even my chambers in the Red Keep when my father had been Hand of the King could quite compare to this.

"Your bath is ready miss" now that we were alone the servant girls seemed to have grown more confident. 

A bath, my body relaxed as my heart tensed. I haven't had a real bath since King's Landing.
One of the girls circled me to start undo my dress as the second tested the water of the bath and the third gathered up some towels. The patchwork fabric slipped from my frame easily enough and I found myself wondering if Elyn resented having had to part from her best dress. 

The girl placed a gentle hand on my back and guided me towards the tub. I noticed how tanned her skin was compared to mine when her arm brushed mine. 

"We scented it with lavender my Lady, I hope that pleases you" she spoke softly as we reached the foot of the narrow steps. 

It took me a moment to realise that she was talking about the steaming bathwater. It smelled wonderful. "It's lovely" I assured as she tugged at my borrowed small clothes to beacon me to take them off. 

I pulled them off, trying to ignore how embarrassed I felt being naked in front of complete strangers and in the sorry state I no doubt was in. At least the old rose doesn't see me like this. 

"Hold on" I intervened as the other servant, who was short and had ginger curls, tried to gather my clothes up and carry them away to be washed or more likely discarded. I snatched my small clothes back and turned the fabric about, searching for the small pouch I had crudely stitched myself. Once I found it I pulled out the folded piece of parchment and haded the clothes back to the confused girl. Taking off the slim neckless I placed it atop the parchment on a small cabinet off to the side.

The neckless from Lord Kevan and the document of my marriage annulment. The only true possessions I had anymore.

Finally completely naked I walked up the steps, feeling the cold marble underneath my feet. In contrast the water was almost too hot, but I could feel my muscles relax almost instantly as I let myself sink down into it. Nearly subconsciously I let out a deep groan of a sigh, which caused the three girls to have to giggle under their breaths. The tanned one stepped up to the tub and put her fingers into my hair, undoing whatever Olenna's handmaiden had crafted with it. As the brown stands fell to my shoulders I noticed that the right side was slightly longer and than the left and that in the very front there ere still a few pieces that seemed to almost hold the original length. It was the first time I missed my old hair and the long locks I used to have. They had never been as beautiful and recognisable as Sansa's flaming head or hair or even mothers auburn locks. But they hand been long and thick and healthy and ladylike. And all of a sudden that seemed to matter to me again.

"Permission to wash you my Lady?" the girl asked carefully. 

I pulled myself from my nostalgia and nodded. 

The blonde girl approached with a bar of soap and a brush as the tanned one gently guided my head back in order to pour water over my hair. I closed my eyes and concentrated on the feeling of the brush scraping against my skin and the girl's finger massaging my scalp. I nearly fell asleep to it. By the time they were done the water was but lukewarm, my fingers were wrinkly and my skin burned from the irritation of the brush. But as I stepped out of the water and was wrapped in clean towels I felt more relieved and clear than I had in a very long time. 

The servant girls dried me off and dressed me in light undergarments that smelled fresh and airy. They were busy drying and brushing my hair as I sat in front of the polished mirror when Elyn entered. Following her as a whole entourage of people and for a moment I felt like jumping up and hiding behind the bath curtains. I was only in my small clothes after all. But then I was too distracted by the appearance of the man closely following the handmaiden. He had the most colourful dress I had ever whitened. Blue and orange and red all at once, embroidered with colourful patterns. To me he looked almost like a jester, but by his serious expression and head held in pride I deduced that it could not be so. Then I noticed the servants carrying in rolls of fabrics behind him and I realised who and what he was. 

"The tailor for you My Lady" Elyn announced. 

The man barely gave her time to finish before pushing past her and approaching. "Darron of the Dawn they call me" he announced in a loud and hectic voice, clearly unperturbed by my lack of proper garb. He is here to change that after all. 

"I have been making the finest clothes for House Highgarden for years. I have clothed many a noble guest from across the narrow sea" he elaborated, turning to point out where his servants should place the fabrics. "I have dressed both Lady Alerie and Lady Rhonda on their wedding days. I have made many a garb for the faith of the seven at the Stary Sept and just now I am working on a brilliant robe for the selection of the new High Septon"

That perked my interest a little, I had not once stopped to ponder how the faith may have come away on what essentially would be an attack on their very belief, but before I could dress the topic he continued. 

"Now, this is a challenge: picking out the fabrics, doing the measurements and completing a dress worthy of an honoured guest all in one day" he gave an exaggerated exhale, then bend down to adjust the position of a small stool that a servant had just placed on the floor next to him. "Please if you will my Lady" he gestured to the stool. 

I rose hesitantly, letting my eyes wander across the array of fabrics that had been lain out. Such an array of colours.

As I stepped onto the stool Darron of the Dawn had already produced a measuring string from his pocket and waisted no time holding it against my arm. He proceeded to seemingly measure every inch of me, scribbling it all down on a piece of parchment that one of his obedient servants held on a small wooden panel. I tensed when he tied the string around my chest with nothing but the thin undergarment separating his fingers from my skin. I looked to Elyn for support or courage but she was too busy inspecting one of the fabrics.

"Yes yes" the tailor mumbled as he turned to his parchment again and I released a silent breath of relief. "You have good proportions my Lady" 

I raised a brow, thinking that that must have been the most vague compliment I had ever received. 

Darron suddenly clapped his hands and shouted "Bring the fabrics" so loudly that I nearly fell off the stool. even Elyn flinched. 

The servants jumped into motion though and one after the other stepped forward, holding a piece of fabric to my side, while the tailor stood at a small distance with his head cocked to the side and a finger on his chin. I soon reapplied that I had not say whatsoever in the process of choosing the fabrics for my soon-to-be-dress. every time I tried to take a closer look at one the servant would just pull it from my touch to make room for the next. And when I tried to say anything Darron's loud opinions would overpower my voice. 

My knees felt stiff from standing by the time he was done and leaving with entire entourage. I walked over to the bed and let myself fall onto my bed, the soft covers and pillows seemingly swallowing me up. 

"I am sorry Lady Carliene but I am afraid you will have to remain in these chambers until your dress is finished" Elyn announced regretfully. "It should only take a couple of hours though"

I was too tired to answer, even though it was still early in the morning I had not slept so well last night and all the excitement and the relaxing bath and now this comfortable bed seemed to drain me of all power.

"I will return to Lady Olenna, have a servant call for me if you need anything" Elyn spoke when I did not answer. Moments later I heard the door open and close again. 

I sighed, turning onto my side and pulling my legs up onto the bed. I could hear the three servant girls busy about the room and told myself I would only rest my eyes shortly.

It was bright. The sun was sparkling on the white snow and the air was clear and crisp. I could feel the frost bite at my cheeks and my breath steamed from my mouth as I huffed from the strenuous work. In front of me the wall rose up and above my head. The stones of its foundation were so black that they almost looked like voids in my vision next to the brilliance of the snow. Taking a moment to catch my breath I looked along the length of it, my heart filling with slight pride at the enormity of the project. And there was also hope. I knew it could be done. A man five times as large as I approached from the forest, leading the great furry beast carrying moulded ice behind him. His kinsmen were all about, my kinsmen looking like playthings at their feet.
My gaze traveled up at the cloudless sky. It was so peaceful and so warm despite the cold.
Suddenly there was a dull scream above me and my gaze fell upon a black bird. There was nothing special about it but as it flew closer I suddenly spotted that besides its two black eyes it had a third one in the middle of its forehead. As I looked into it I felt myself suddenly torn away and images exploded in my head. Images of a small boy falling from a tower and a young man laying on a sled in the middle of a frozen forest. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

430K 10.5K 31
𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘺, 𝘱𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳, 𝘨𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘺 - 𝗂𝗌 𝗐𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝗄𝖾𝖾𝗉𝗌 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇 𝗄𝗂𝗇𝗀𝖽𝗈𝗆𝗌 𝗋𝗎𝗅𝗂𝗇𝗀. ©𝘦𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘤𝘦𝘪𝘴 * cringe...
8.3K 531 48
Yesterday he was a bastard and a blacksmith. Today he's a lord. Gendry Baratheon has never had anything. No last name, no family, no power. Now he ha...
275K 7.2K 46
-----------꧁☦︎꧂----------- "Here my journey truly begins, a journey that will be remembered for centuries" -----------꧁☦︎︎꧂----------- Born a bastar...
240K 6.2K 30
[SLOWLY EDITING] Mare Dalyngridge was a peasant girl that was caught in the middle of a war. She thought that she could survive without a scratch, bu...