wait for me | ray

By -craiscent

• • • ❝That horrible day, she bid me goodbye was the day I died inside. Confusion and emptiness were the only... More

❀ Prologue
1: Disbelief
2: New People & Boss
3: An Uncertain Path
4: Her Tale
5: Not Alone
6: Decisions
7: Stay Alive
8: A Moment In Time
9: Her Tale 2.0
10: Don't Watch Me Cry
11: Can't Stop Loving You
12: Vague Reasons
13: Kindness Isn't A Word
14: Her Tale 3.0
15: Spring Left Me Alone
16: New Normal
17: Hope In You, For You
18: Your Lie
19: Found But Lost
20: Did She Ever Love Me?
21: You & Him, I & Her
22: His Memory
23: An Unreal Restart
24: Fake, It's All Fake
26: Our Reality
27: Not Yet
28: Fun While It Lasted
29: Deja Vu
30: Heaven And Hell
❀ Epilogue

25: Painting The Canvas

1.1K 54 187
By -craiscent

Note: I'll probably insert a time-skip after the next chapter or in the middle itself. Possibly, ( keyword: possibly ) this book will end by the 30th chapter, followed with an epilogue. I'm still quite confused but I'm naturally inclined towards a happy ending. And let's just say the upcoming chapters will surely be a rollercoaster. I might come back and edit this some time ( keyword: maybe ). Happy reading !

┏━━━━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━━━━┓

"Sometimes, it's better
to accept things as they
are but that doesn't
mean battling
circumstances is futile."

┗━━━━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━━━━┛

Thoma & Lannion Detective Agency

A wild Ray was found !

Occurence spot: His bedroom

Reporting time: Sunday, 11:21 am.

Details: He had a sprain in his ankle !

• • •

"What now?" Emma grinned, carelessly resting her chin in the palms of her hands.

"Your admission in our school," Y/n drummed her fingers against the slab.

A whine eluded from the ginger head as she threw her arms in the air,
"Oh come on! Does school really have to exist?"

Gilda took a sip from her smoothie,
"I thought you liked school—"

"Oh right... I do. Anyways so! We are going to the same school as you and Sam?"

"Yeah... It was a headache to share all your documents, honestly," Y/n put her head down, tilting to glance at the girls.

"Anna?" Gilda called out, creases visible on her gabella.

She snapped out of her daze and shot them a cheeky smile,
"Yeah?"

"Is something on your mind?" Emma inquired, tipping her head to her right.

She shook her head no and laughed nervously,
"Nope, not at all!"

Did something happen between her and Ray?

"Y/n!" Sam's voice invaded the kitchen, his footfalls echoing simultaneously.

There was a goofy smile plastered on his face, managing to light her eyes up right away. She smiled back, eager to know whatever had him so elated.

"Remember how we always whined about never getting to go to the Japanese summer festivals?" he raised a brow, the smile never leaving his face.

She nodded slowly, recalling how the two of them had spent all the summers searching for those festivals,
"Yeah?—"

"Well, guess what?" his grin grew wider.

"Hm?"

"A Japanese organization is hosting one tomorrow!"

• • •

"Y/n, are you done yet?" Sam knocked on the door to their room.

A high pitched squeak resonated followed by shuffling. He quietly laughed to himself, awaiting her response. He was dressed in a dark grey naggai and a sage green haori, his hair smooth from the hair gel he had applied. All the boys had started getting ready together at the same time yet no one except him was done.  Speaking of that, he wondered when the boys would be done anyway.

The click of the door sounded, indicating that it was opening. He instantly peered inside and sucked in a sharp breath when their eyes locked. She had sported a floral yukata, one that hugged her body perfectly. Oh lord— she was breathtaking. Not to mention, her embarrassed face made her appear much more adorable.

An uneasy smile decorated her lips, her eyes roaming anywhere but his violet hues, her hands gripping on the hem of her dress.

Acknowledging her flustered state, he meekly smiled,
"You look pretty."

It only contributed to her embarrassed self, eyes shooting downwards.

His fingers slipped into hers, tugging on her hand gently,
"Let's go."

• • •

"Over there! Let's catch some gold fishes" Emma squealed, dragging Norman with her as she ran off to a stall crowded with children and teenagers.

"Wait, what about the fireworks!?" Sam cupped his hands around his mouth, stopping Emma in her tracks.

She pivoted on her heels, her fingers still laced with her boyfriends'. She grinned widely,
"We'll all meet at the clock tower, okay?"

He sighed to himself, his hands falling to his sides.

"What now?" Y/n muttered under her breath, patiently waiting for the rest of the family to decide.

Don announced,
"Um, me and Gilda are gonna to a ring tossing game! See y'all in an hour!" and in the blink of an eye, the both were gone.

"About time..." Ray scoffed under his breath, an unnoticeable smile on his lips.

"Food. Let's get some food..." Nat rubbed his chin, his lips tugging upwards.

"Do you do anything else but eat?" Anna scowled, elbowing him.

"Ow! Yes, so what?" he groaned, letting out a huff, he sat down on the wooden bench nearby.

Anna's nose scrunched up and she looked away, refusing to ruin her mood just because someone had a habit of stuffing himself all day long, much similar to a specific tanned skin brunette.

"Why don't we get Oyakodons?" Y/n suggested, twirling around to spot many food stalls.

"Alright, me and Ray will go. Y'all can wait here in the meanwhile," Sam informed, running a hand through his chocolate brown barnate.

Y/n's brows knitted together,
"But I—"

He grasped her shoulder lightly, bringing his face next to her ear, he whispered,
"Let it be just me and him this time."

She exhaled a breath of defeat, pouting discreetly,
"Alright."

San ruffled her hair once and left with Ray.

Weaving cautiously through the crowd, Ray interrogated,
"What's going on?"

Sam chuckled to himself,
"You catch on really quick, huh?"

Ray groaned loudly, receiving a few judgemental glances from the people around,
"You're back at speaking in riddles?"

Sam laughed heartedly, a bright expression painting his features, he shook his head,
"No, I'll tell you stuff bluntly this time, don't worry."

They arrived at a stall that sold Oyakodons and queued up with the several other persons. Ray tapped his foot impatiently, curious to whatever Sam had to say. He couldn't exactly figure it out himself, after all, what possibly was left for him to know? There couldn't possibly any more secrets that were kept from him, could there? Sure, he was good at analysing but he certainly couldn't predict the positions of the atoms in the next moment and after, not yet at least.

After what felt like five minutes, it was finally their turn to order. Ray's eyes roamed the various delicacies kept on display, his mouth watering involuntarily.

Sam snorted at him,
"You want something else?"

Ray flinched, turning away, he retorted, "Not at all."

Sam held in another laugh, receiving the paper bag from the shopkeeper and thanking him. The brunette nodded to Ray and turned to the opposite direction of which they came from.

"Hey, didn't we come from that way?" Ray questioned, pointing to the other way.

"We did but... just follow me," Sam soothingly smiled at him.

Ray's eyes expanded,
"Wait— are you gonna kidnap me?" Hold on, that was a very stupid question. Way to go, Ray.

A bemused chuckled rose from Sam's throat,
"No, obviously not."

Ray fell silent and simply followed Sam's steps, wondering where ever Sam was planning to take him. The brunette's steps halted a bit farther away from the bustling crowd of people, in a secluded garden with a few wooden benches scattered around.

"Have a seat," Sam pointed towards a bench sitting right next to them.

Ray's eyelids nictated,
"The fireworks begin in less than 30 minutes."

Sam seated himself on the left edge of the bench, his eyes meeting Ray's solemnly,
"Don't worry, have a seat."

Ray briskly nodded, plopping beside the latter. He heard the other male breathe deeply, which Ray read as preparing himself. Ray couldn't help but worry about his peculiar demeanour, his eyes scanning his built carefully.

"Y'know... The day me and Y/n had started dating, I was on cloud nine..." he began, his voice deep and raspy, as so he was speaking of a matter he could never overlook.

Sam's eyes were trained on the night sky, which, in a few minutes, was going to light up with the prettiest and brightest of fireworks. It didn't help Ray to discern in which direction was the conversation being steered, which undoubtedly made him nervous.

"But it was the same day, guilt was at its best," his head turned towards Ray, "Do you know why?"

Ray unclenched and clenched his jaw, his palms curling into fists, he shook his head no, not ready for whatever Sam was about to spout out.

His deep chuckle that brimmed with regret resonated in Ray's ears, "Because you loved her and she loved you. I could have told you about everything from the start, gave you more time to spend with her and helped you realise that the only way is to mend your relationship. But the truth is..."

His purple hues met with his olive ones, melancholy evident,
"I have been very selfish, Ray. I kept quiet about everything because Y/n asked me to, even though I knew it was partially self-destructive. I wanted to make her happy, I wouldn't deny that. But I can't help but wonder if she could have smiled when we were in the demon world even. There's this image of her in my head... Where she's wearing the same attire she used to back then but the only thing is that she was smiling and that— that warms and tears my heart up every single time. If I could have—"

Ray scowled, cutting him off harshly,
"It's pointless now. There are so many things I wish I'd done, even more things I wish I hadn't. It hurts, honestly, it really does. But there's no changing it now. It's the past now, Sam, you should accept it as it is and work for the future. Sulking won't help in the least. You're her boyfriend, so make her happy. And I bet that she wouldn't want to see you still living in the past," his voice had grown softer and quieter as he neared the end of his statements.

The brunette shook his head from side to side,
"I get it, Ray. But that's not the point. I didn't bring you here to talk about myself, I want to talk about you and Y/n."

Sam's words left Ray puzzled and it confused him even more when he stood up, stuffing one of his hands in his pocket.

Sam turned on his heels to completely face him, "I'll get straight to the point."

He took a deep breath, lips forming a thin, straight line, "If you can manage to Y/n more happier than I can, you can take her."

Ray blinked multiple times, astounded and befuddled, "Huh?"

Sam's back faced him, his right hand waving in the air, "Look, Y/n might hold herself back from dating you if she does fall for you all over again. I know her well, according to her, she won't break up with me until she walks to death's door. But I want you to not let that happen. No matter how, if she's happier with you, make her please. I beg of you. She—"

Ray hurtled from his seat and flailed his hands around, "Wait, wait, wait!"

"You can't possibly ask me to do that— are you forgetting that she's your girlfriend!?" he howled in disappointment, voice plunged in utter anger. 

Sam bellowed back, taking long strides towards him, just as infuriated,
"This is not about me! And are you forgetting that you love her!?"

Ray gritted his teeth, eyes darkening, he couldn't belive the kind of rubbish that man was spouting, it was stupid, "Sam..."

Sam seized hold of his collar harshly, "And stop your freaking bluff of liking Anna already! You're literally using her, are you that petty?" his expression moulded into one of demurral, "and if you thought doing this would help you move on from her, well you are very much wrong," he sibilated, jeering further into his face.

He braced his hold on him and derided,
"You, Ray, are never going to be over Y/n, I give you that."

A few moments passed with Ray's eyes as wide as saucers and Sam's breathing heavy. The brunette's grip ultimately slackened, his steps falling backwards,
"Sorry, I— I rarely lose it, I don't know what came over me—"

A grin capered on Ray's lips, tiny dimples forming on his cheeks, their eyes abutted, "You're right. I'm never actually going to stop loving Y/n, I don't plan on it. She's my other half you see, without her I'm incomplete."

He took a short pause, pupils cascading downwards, "And no matter how much I try to be modest..." his eyes relocated back to his, "I want to be the one who makes her happy, not you."

Sam's lower lip split from his upper, debossing into a warm smile soon after, "So..."

"As her boyfriend, I give you the permission to make moves on her and win her heart if you can. We are competing now, Ray," one end of his lips sculpted into a lopsided grin.

A loud bang went off all of a sudden. The night sky that was painted with innumerable, sparkling stars was now blanketed with dazzling shades of golden, fiery reds and oranges and a bright leafy green. They were exploding with such magnificence, a splendour that had all eyes glued to the sky, which once went unnoticed by many. Something people willingly spent their precious money on, just to witness it from afar yet find the feeling of satisfaction within them.

The sensational sight caused Ray's lips part in awe. His eyes were plunged with wonder, one that was certainly not evident normally in his olive hues. 

"It's going to be fun, isn't it?" he drawled out slowly, his lips curving upwards eventually.

Sam himself, who was dazed by the spectacular beauty, grinned, his eyes softening,
"Of course. The day you do manage to succeed, you're getting a whole lecture about do's and don'ts, you are smart but exceptionally dumb as well."

• • •

Gilda blinked as she watched the sparks fly coruscatingly all across the sky that was as dark as the sea. Don held her hand, shifting them meekly so they interlaced with hers, his eyes not peering away from the wickedness he was watching which had captivated him entirely.

"We had to watch them together..." Gilda mumbled.

Don's body slightly shook with laughter,
"Aren't we together?"

Gilda's face flushed into a bright red, acknowledging the meaning he had actually implied behind his statement. After a few moments, Gilda's lips formed into a warm grin, radiant lights dancing in her irises,
"We are."

• •

"Norman! Look!" Emma pointed towards the sky of a canvas painted with the most beautiful of shades she believed to have ever existed.

"Wah! We were supposed to meet up!" Emma shrieked, hands messing up her neatly tied braid.

Norman perked up visibly, concerned a bit too much for his own good,
"It's okay, Emma! I don't think anyone of them would be alone as of now."

She pouted, a look of disapproval on her face, "But..."

"I'm sure they're fine," he turned to her, offering her a reassuring smile as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her closer so her head rested on his shoulder.

Together they watched the fireworks that had them absolutely staggered. It appeared phenomenal, how the colours exploded so brilliantly in the sky, took their breaths away. It was a picture that they were sure would remain engraved in their minds.

• • •

"Where are they?" Anna brooded, a frown etched on her face whilst she played with her yukata anxiously.

Nat bit his lower lip, the uneasy state of the blonde not going unnoticed by him. He gingerly tapped her shoulder.

As an attempt to assure her, he spoke,
"The queue must have been really long. Don't worry. Let's just enjoy the fireworks while they're at it."

She thought about it for a moment then nodded, a pretty smile playing on her lips, "Yeah..."

They simultaneously pivoted towards the sky, eyes expanding as they perceived the brightly lit sky decorated with fascinating rare tinges.

Y/n leaned her arms on the metal balustrade as to form a cross, proceeding to rest her chin on top of them. The matchless vivid tints held her captive, her jaw loosening in astonishment. How some fireworks shot up to one of the highest parts whilst some shattered down before imposingly enthralled her. It was as if saying that not all can reach the very top but all of them have the same lure and they can't be compared, no matter what. It was so it was daytime still, the sun yet to set. The blinding hues illuminated the graceful smile on her face and her eyes that admiration had pervaded.

It was a new beginning. With so many more people to stand by her side and walk with her, overcome all the hurdles and share endless laughter and tears. She couldn't be happier.

Even though the world wasn't exactly fair, she knew she had to appreciate all that she had. And she was grateful. She didn't believe that she was deserving of such kind hearted people, people who would sacrifice themselves for others. But what she did believe was she would do the same for them, over and over again.

It was alluring, really; the idea of living a life being supported by your loved ones. And she was experiencing it then and there, something forged into a memory that would last all her life, something completely unforgettable. Even though she didn't have all the time in the world, she was dead set on making the most of the time she had left.

She wanted to see everyone smile and not to mourn over the past or the future.

She wished to live in the present with everyone.

Nothing else really mattered.

Whether there were smiles or frowns, she was ready to accept it all. That's what life is after all; the ups and downs, that's what each and every life is constructed of, no matter how you look at it. The difference between people was merely that some accepted the reality and battled all the impediments whilst the rest remained in denial.

Truth is, denial can never help, that's just how it is. The quicker you come over reality, the better things turn out to be in the end.

The journey may be hard but the results are worth it.

• • •

"Oh, I know," Ray scoffed, hiding his amused chuckle.

"Self-awareness is a good thing," Sam smirked mockingly, even though he was sure Ray wasn't looking his way.

They watched the glorious sight in harmony, the bright lights reflecting off their content faces.

"You really love her, don't you?" Sam cut the comfortable silence.

Ray shut his eyes slowly, reopening them with the utmost adoration flooding them, "Right back at you."

"I do," Sam sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets.

The extravagant fireworks continued to explode loudly in the night sky. It were if a plain canvas has just been painted with dazzling colours at the occasion of a new start, the light representing the hope that was ignited within all of them, which at this point couldn't actually ever be exhausted.

Ray's last words before the fireworks display ended weren't audible to the latter male since the loud sounds of the firecrackers overlapped his soft voice which had each syllable laced with all the affection and the entirety of honesty from his heart.

"I do, too. I love her, too."

Part 3: Complete

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

291 26 7
Hello! I unpublished this book before cause I thought that it is such a horrible book with my writing. But while looking through my drafts, I decided...
28K 474 9
The cattle children have finally escaped the clutches of the demons and made their way into the Human World. ✦ What would happen if they achieved th...
957K 41.9K 200
what is freedom?」 「What is the outside world like? "Mom, what is the outside world like? When can I see it?" Why couldn't I leave? I want to leav...
151K 4.1K 179
❤️ For Ray's seventeenth birthday, Isabella had given him a camera. The first picture he took was you. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ! BOOK THREE COMPLETE ! 🖤 reader x...