TACENDA • derry girls

By deadsaidseb

Tacenda (n.) things better left unsaid; matters to be passed over in silence derry girls season 1 (2?) james... More

𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈
faceclaims
soundtrack
O N E
T H R E E
F O U R

T W O

310 10 0
By deadsaidseb

After getting a rather fun talking to from Jenny Joyce— Maeve reluctantly sitting back and watching as Michelle yet again let her temper get the best of her, the school was thrown into an assembly.

The O'Hara girl was standing between James and Michelle, as Jenny and Aisling very enthusiastically performed their presentation on flowers and the school— Maeve not really sure what it was all about, she wasn't exactly listening. However, once they finished, both Maeve and Orla gave them a round of applause— someone had to.

Sister Michael began addressing the school which gained Maeve's attention. She loved the nun. She was both funny and crazy, two things that the girl thoroughly enjoyed. So when Sister Michael began talking about all the new students having to watch their backs, Maeve let out an audible laugh— which soon resulted in annoyed stares from everyone surrounding her.

"Oh! Speaking of pupils who need to watch their back, I'd like to introduce James Maguire". Maeve felt the boy next to her tense up from the mention of his name, the girl giving his hand an ever so quick squeeze of reassurance, never once looking at him. Although, she could feel his eyes staring into the side of her head.

"Show yourself please, James".

The boy rose his hand into the air cautiously, causing the entire school to try and get a glimpse of the first ever male to attend. Sister Michael proceeded to explain how there were concerns about James if he were to attend Christian Brother Boys, because he was English, the school erupting into laughter at the mention of the his nationality. Maeve looked to Michelle who seemed to be rolling her eyes into oblivion at what was happening. She couldn't care less.

"Let me make one thing clear! I will not have a repeat of the Mr. Mullin affair, is that understood?" The red-haired girl grimaced at the mention of his name, James clearly catching on that something not-so-great had happened.

"What's the Mr. Mullin affair?"

Maeve looked at the boy with a grim expression, James' face showing nothing but fear. "He was a student teacher that all the girls fancied. So, two fourth-years cable tied him to the monkey bars and tried to, you know".

The girl really didn't want to go into it with a boy who, one, she just met, and two, looked visibly concerned. Michelle however, not seeming to have that problem.

"They we're trying to dry ride him" she said bluntly, clearly listening in to their conversation. "But he was really good-looking, so you've got nothing to worry about".

James nodded along to what she was saying until the words really sunk in, the boy snapping his head to look at Michelle, an offended look on his face. Maeve letting out a short laugh from the sight.

Lunch period rolled around rather quickly but it unfortunately sucked. Clare was whining and moaning about not being able to eat because of Kamal— the kid she was fasting for, and no matter how many times Maeve tried to get her to eat or take her mind off it, she just wouldn't stop moaning on. Erin was having a meltdown and begging Michelle to come with her to David Donnelly's gig, the other girl wanting nothing to do with it. Orla was reciting Erin's diary word for word which was creating more noise and argument. And James was begging for someone to help him find a toilet.

All of this accumulated to Maeve getting a monster headache, her head pounding. A dull ache set across both her temples, it not seeming to go away with the amount stress she was feeling. And to make matters worse they were all called into Sister Michael's office about the bus incident this morning. Class.

With everyone tense about the situation they entered Sister Michael's office planning to back each other up, but the second there was a little pressure added to the group, Clare caved. Which was nothing surprising.

"It had nothing to do with me! Yes, okay, I was there. I admit that. But I didn't do anything, it was Michelle. It was all Michelle! I'm not going down for something I didn't do. If anyone deserves to get punished, it should be Michelle!"

A loud silence followed the small blonde's rant, everyone not surprised just disappointed by her lack of loyalty.

"Well. It's safe to say we all lost a bit of respect for you there, Clare" Sister Michael sighed, as she looked at the group one by one. "It's so disappointing, girls. I mean threatening a first-year" Maeve felt her face heat as she heard those words.

Due to the kindness and respect the O'Hara family had for the people of Derry, they were extremely clear to their children— mainly Maeve at this time, about what was expected of them and their actions. So from hearing this constantly, the girl had developed a bit of a perfectionist mindset, and refused to let herself be anything less than perfect— which included hearing only the best things about what people thought of her. So this, was rough.

As Michelle argued, the girl twiddled a strand of her hair around her forefinger, chewing on her bottom lip harshly. Both Erin and James took note of the girl's expression and her actions, the latter having no real idea on what was going on or how regular this was for the O'Hara girl. Erin however, knew all too well.

"Right! Well I think you all owe, Tina an apology" Sister Michael exclaimed, everyone chiming in one by one to reluctantly apologise to the first-year.
"Tina, do you accept their apology?"

The young girl sarcastically grinned before turning to the group. "No."

Everyone's eyes nearly popped out of their heads after hearing that, Sister Michael included. Maeve however thought she was going to pass out. God, if this girl didn't end up liking her, her Mammy would never let her come home.

"You'd don't accept their apology?" Sister Michael questioned, her eyes full of skepticism and surprise.

"Do I have to accept their apology?" Tina stated. Maeve want to strangle the girl at this point— please, just accept the apology!

"I suppose not" Sister Michael sighed, clearly fed up with the whole situation. "I do need to draw a line under this somehow though".

"You've got to be kidding me" Maeve sighed from her desk in detention, seated directly in front of Erin. "My Mammy is going to kill me"

"Oh give it a rest, Maeve. It's only detention" Michelle groaned from beside the girl, causing the ginger to narrow her eyes at the other.

"I cannot actually belive this!" Erin spoke slowly, her eyes snapping to look angrily at Michelle as well. "I'm missing David Donnelly's gig, Michelle!"

Maeve rolled her eyes at this, she didn't know what Erin saw in that boy. Hell, any of the boys in Derry. They were all thick in the head.

"I'm desperate now. This is agony!"

Maeve spun around in her seat to see a flushed James, clearing busting for a wee at this point, and she couldn't blame him. She didn't know what she'd do without being able to use the loo for a whole day.

"Can you please stop crying in my face for five fucking minutes, James?" Michelle snapped at the boy, not dealing with his shit whatsoever. Now Maeve looked at it, she never wanted to deal with his shit at all.

The English fella locked eyes with Maeve, his own pleading for her help somehow, but she had no real options. She looked around the room trying to help him, but once she came up empty handed, she mouthed "sorry" to him and spun back around to face the front.

"I feel awful. I think my body is going into starvation mode" Clare mumbled from across the room, her head thrown back and her whole body seemingly dripping in sweat. "I think it's starting to shut down!"

"Christ's sake Clare, you've basically just, skipped lunch" Michelle harshly replied, everyone in the room clearly fed up with each other's antics. Maeve just wanted to go home, listen to her Walkman, and go to sleep.

"Orla, that better not be what I think it is".

At Erin's words, Maeve looked to her right to see the words, 'ERIN'S DIARY' plastered onto the front of the book being tightly clutched in Orla's hands. Maeve ran a hand through her hair, here we go.

The cousins wrestled for the diary, yelling and whining as they went. But it wasn't for long because Sister Declan got up and snatched the book off the pair. Maeve put her head on her desk and shut her eyes, listening to all the disruption going on around her.

Sister Declan, yet again telling James he couldn't use the loo and sending him to the corner, Michelle's discontinued lipstick getting confiscated, Erin whining because her diary was being read— now by Sister Declan, and Clare shaking from her lack of food.

"Look, your boring fucking diary has sent her to sleep!" Michelle swore, everyone looking to see Sister Declan with her head face down on the desk. Maeve's eyebrows furrowed at the sight, what a funny way to sleep.

One by one the group got up and went over to the passed out nun, James crying out from his corner that he couldn't hold it in any longer. As Maeve was standing she saw a bucket out of the corner of her eye, and as reluctant as she was to alert the English boy, she didn't want him to piss on the floor.

The room filled with the sound of wee hitting metal, everyone having an outburst at the situation. It was pretty gross. Michelle scavenged around Sister Declan's purse for her stolen lipstick, Clare had taken a few bites out of the Sister's now abandoned sandwich, and Erin had made a b-line to the windows where she was attempting to escape to see David's band.

"It's funny how she sleeps with her eyes wide open, isn't it?"

At that statement everyone froze, looking at the lifeless expression in Sister Declan's eyes as her head was being propped up by Orla.

"Oh my god"

Maeve let her hands fly to her mouth at the sight, was she dead!? Just as they all were trying coming to terms with what was happening, the door flew open, Sister Michael walking inside hurriedly.

"Sweet suffering Jehovah".

Maeve was absolutely packing it. Not only were they in even more trouble, but Sister Michael had called everyone's parents. She had called her parents.

The group was seated in the nun's office, waiting for their relatives to show up, Maeve begging to god above that it was her Da who came, and not her Mammy. She would be leaving in a casket if it was her Mammy.

Erin and Orla's family were the first to arrive, Gerry asking the group plainly if they'd killed Sister Declan, which was met by a stern 'no' from Erin.

"Then why we're you pissing on her dead body and making sandwiches?" Sarah Quinn stated, it being clear as day that she were Orla's mother. They were one in the same.

Maeve's eyes were watery with fear as things were unfolding, the only person thus far to sense her borderline, mental breakdown being Granda Joe, who sent her a wink and a nod of reassurance. She had always loved how her emotions were so clear the the older man, always knowing how to calm her and what exactly to say. He reminded her of her own Granda sometimes.

Michelle's mum was next through the door, angrily gabbling on about the bridge and the unwanted presence of the English soldiers. The woman's presence made the whole group stiffen in fear, all knowing that she would rain hellfire upon them if she wanted.

"Where's my mum, Auntie Deidre?" James spoke softly, confusion clear in his voice.

"She's way back in London." The woman spoke, Maeve's heart breaking for the boy, his face telling a thousand words.

"What, without me?"

"Ach, dry your eyes, James".

Maeve felt the tenseness radiating from the rest of the group, James dropping his head to look at the floor sadly. She purposely bumped her knee into his, which caused him to glance at her slowly, clearly trying to keep his tears at bay. Without knowing what to say, she gave the curly haired boy a small smile and patted his knee quickly, the nice act being interrupted by the door opening yet again.

"Sorry to keep you waiting sister" a man spoke, Maeve's heart dropping, please don't be her Da. Looking up she was met with the furious gaze of Sean Delvin as he skimmed over the group, his gaze eventually settling on Clare. "Killing nuns now, is it?"

"I didn't daddy!"

Mere seconds later the door flew open, hitting the wall from the force. Maeve squeezed her eyes shut at the act, knowing fully well that she was absolutely buggered.

"Thank you for coming, Caoimhe".

Maeve spun to look at the doorway, being met with the questionable, yet slightly impressed gaze of her Ma. The girl let out a relieved sigh, as her eyes travelled down to see a little body standing in front of the woman. Nessa?

"Mae!" The 5 year-old sang, as she ran over to hug her sister, the entire room watching the encounter. Maeve looked at her Ma with a meek smile, praying she wouldn't tell her parents about this. Oh god, please, don't tell her parents about this.

Everyone took their seats, trying to get settled, Nessa doing so by wanting to sit on Maeve's lap. It was then, that the interrogation began.

"Obviously, Sister Declan's death was shocking and unexpected. Were still struggling to understand what exactly happened." Sister Michael said plainly, everyone looking at her intently, not daring to interupt.

"Someone die?"

Maeve felt her body tense at the sentence, Nessa quietly speaking in her sister's ear. The girl looked to her left to meet the eyes of James, who seemed just as concerned as her at what the wee babe was saying. They had no idea how to reply.

Thankfully, they didn't really have to because Sister Michael began speaking again. "The hospital is saying it was heart failure but I have my doubts. So I've decided to carry out a full investigation into the incident." she stated, everyone's heads nodding in approval.

"Makes sense".

If Erin were a cartoon character, steam would be billowing out of her ears at what was being said. Not only because of the situation at hand, but because yet again, Orla was reading her diary aloud. Class.

After a rather entertaining fight, the meeting was dismissed, everyone piling out of the school and toward the carpark. Maeve had bit her tongue the whole walk to the car, nothing but singing from Nessa being heard as she held onto her older sister's hand. But Maeve couldn't hold it in any more.

"What're you doing here, Ma?"

Caoimhe chuckled at the pure bluntness from her granddaughter— just like her mother, she was. "Your parents are out getting groceries, so you're lucky you decided to kill that nun tonight"

Maeve's mouth dropped at what the woman had said. Surely not. But when the girl looked over, and saw a wide grin on the woman's face, she knew that her Ma was only playing around. "I'm just disappointed I had to bring Nessa, to a talk like that."

Maeve looked to her younger sister as she played with her hair clip, the accessory long ago fallen out of her hair. She also hated having to bring the younger girl to a talk like that, especially after what Ness had said in Sister Michael's room.

"I give a gift"

Maeve furrowed her eyebrows at what Nessa had said, wondering what she meant. But as the older girl let go of her hand to bend down and talk to the younger, she took off. Maeve's heart sank as she watched her run through the carpark, not being able to bare if she was to be hit by a car, she couldn't see that. But thankfully, just as quick as Nessa took off, she had stopped. Right in front of the Mallon family.

"A gift for you" she smiled up at James, her eyes twinkling with innocence. With one hand she held on tightly to the boy's trouser leg, and with the other, she held up her sparkly hair clip proudly. "For your pretty hair!"

Maeve's heart melted at the sight, it being clear to say that James' did as well. The boy awkwardly smiled at the little O'Hara, thanking her for her 'generous gift', as he looked around to see where the O'Hara family was— specifically, where Maeve was. As they met each other's eyes, the pair let out a small chuckle from the encounter, Maeve holding out her hand for Nessa as she called the girl back over.

"Bye, pretty hair!" Nessa called out with a wave, as she ran to the older girl. Maeve giving a farewell wave to the boy as well. The two O'Hara's turned and began walking over to their Ma, who had a knowing smile on her face.

"Someone's got a crush!" She sang, Maeve's heart going for a flip inside her chest. No she didn't!

About to protest the girl looked at her Ma, but the woman picked up the youngest O'Hara, and began waking with her back to the car. Maeve's face flushed at the circumstance, embarrassment creeping up her neck. No way did that just happen.

"Come on, Mae" Caoimhe called, a wide grin still etched on her face, her sentence being imitated by her youngest granddaughter.

"Yeah, 'mon Mae!"

____
a/n
Hello lovelies!!
I hope you're enjoying the story thus far! Please vote and comment your thoughts or opinions, I would love to hear them.
This chapter was quite long so I hope you stuck around!!

deadsaidseb <3
not edited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259K 8.4K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...
1M 18.3K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
162K 7.8K 53
Four siblings, two elder brothers and two younger sisters living with their rich parents!! Get ready to enter the life of these siblings and their fa...
313K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc