FRIENDS LIKE YOU! lucas mendo...

By niallhoranslovebot

―❝ Well who, who needs enemies when they got friends, friends like you. Well you got a new frenemy when you l... More

INTRODUCTION!
PLAYLIST+GRAPHICS!
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER ONE

1.6K 41 18
By niallhoranslovebot

Knowing the Mendoza's it was obvious you would have an interesting life. Being frenemies with one of the Mendoza's made life even more interesting. Sammi knows that Lucas Mendoza for sure makes her life interesting. Sammi began staying with the Mendoza's when her parents died in a car wreck two years ago. The Mendoza's are family friends of the Alden's and Dave and Lori were the ones who Sammi's parents said would want to take care of their daughter if anything happened to them. Her aunt, Francesca, and uncle, Miles, live nearby but they were often busy with work. Her aunt owns a café and her dad is a police officer. They do often check in on her and she does stay with them from time to time whenever they aren't busy.

Sammi was sitting at the table in the kitchen, working on turning in some assignments since she started college online a few days ago. She's now a freshman in college (just like Lucas) and decided to do college online and stay at home, thinking it will be easier than going to campus and moving into a dorm.

She didn't hear Alexa come down the stairs, but when she heard Dave say, "Hey, first day of school." She glanced up from her laptop, seeing that Alexa now stood in the kitchen.

Dave smiles. "Exciting!"

"Dad, I'm a junior now." Alexa pats her dad's shoulder. "It's not, 'Oh, I'm so excited' anymore."

Sammi raises her eyebrows and shakes her head. "Yeah, I feel like that's not true."

The side door in the kitchen opened and Katie walked in, gasping excitedly as she dropped her backpack on the one of the chairs at the table Sammi is sitting at, meeting Alexa in front of the kitchen island. "We're juniors!"

Alexa jumps up and down excitedly. "Ah! I'm so excited."

Sammi chuckles, nodding to herself as she turns her attention back to her work. "Called it."

Dave looks at Alexa with a 'are you serious' expression as he butters the toast he held. "Seriously?"

The two best friends stare at each other for a few seconds before they both say the same thing at the same time, "Trade." Alexa took off her red jacket that was tied around her waist, handing it to Katie, and Katie took off the bracelet she had on, giving it to Alexa. Alexa tied the red jacket around Katie's waist and Katie put on the bracelet on Alexa's left wrist.

Alexa smiles. "I can't believe it. We're upperclassman, we look amazing, and I'm driving to school with a licensed adult in the car." She looked at her dad with a hopeful expression.

Sammi sends a thankful smile to Dave when he sat a plate of toast beside her laptop. Dave returns a smile before putting the other plate of toast he held on the table for Alexa. "Sorry, honey." Dave looks at Alexa with an apologetic look. Sammi picks up the toast off the plate, beginning to eat it as she looked at the three in the kitchen along with her. "I got a bunch of stuff planned for your mom's and my anniversary, and...I really wanna live to enjoy them."

"But, hey, maybe Sammi could go with you."

Sammi stops eating the toast, looking at Dave with wide eyes when he suggested that. "What?" Alexa and Katie look at the British girl with a hopeful expression. Sammi swallows, setting the rest of the toast down on the plate, immediately shaking her head. "Yeah, no. I choose life." She sent an apologetic expression to Alexa. "Sorry, Alexa, but getting in a car with you at the wheel is choosing death."

Alexa sighs, gesturing to herself and Katie. "Sammi, if we wanna get our licenses we have to do more than practice practice-driving on Katie's couch, and my driver's ed teacher said I need as much time behind the wheel as possible."

Dave slowly nods. "He also said don't drive within thirty miles of his house." Sammi pointed at him as if what he said was proving her point.

Alexa waves a dismissive hand. "Oh, he was kidding."

"He was trembling." Dave corrected her.

"But he's always trembling." Katie chuckles. "I mean, it's like, get a sweater, dude." She took a seat at the table across from where Sammi is sitting, and Alexa sat between them.

The door in the kitchen opens and Jennifer and Jack walks in. "We wanted to be here when Lucas left for college." Jennifer said, closing the door after Jack walked in. She grins. "And for fancy 'first day of school' breakfast." The grin fell when she only saw toast. "I just see toast."

"Lori and I are going to brunch." Dave explains with a smile on his face. "We've been married twenty years today."

"Oh, that's beautiful." Jennifer smiles at him. "So just toast and cold cereal then?" The smile fell and Dave offered her the toast he just got done buttering. Jennifer took it off the plate, handing it to Jack.

"Honey," Lori said to her son. "I put some extra underpants in your suitcase next to your night light and soft blankie." Sammi looked over at the stairs when Lori walks down with Lucas, who carried his bags for college. Sammi hated that she admitted she was going to miss him even though he's only to be an hour away.

"Oh, you look so handsome." Lori smiles at her son and he smiled back at her. "I also left you a note that I wrote you when you were seven years old about how much I was gonna miss you when you went off to college." She explains. Sammi chuckles lightly when she says, "I used a quote from 'Hollaback Girl'. Just ignore that."

Lucas shrugs. "I'm only gonna be an hour away."

Lori puts her hands on Lucas' shoulders, shaking him gently. "This whole thing is bananas. B-a-n-a-n-a-s." Lori looked back at Dave, who now stood behind her with a nervous smile. Lucas looked at his mom weirdly.

"Honey, are you sure you don't want us to drive you?" Lori asks, looking back at her son. "I mean, we can set up your dorm, help you meet new friends." She wraps an arm around his shoulders, speaking in a nervous tone. "Make sure they know the Heimlich. You never been a strong chewer."

"I'm in college now." Lucas chuckles and Lori takes her arm off of him. Lucas shakes his head. "I don't need my mommy."

"Here's your snack bag to go." Lori handed him a small zip lock bag of snacks.

Lucas takes the bag, grinning when he saw what was inside. "Ooh, Go-Gurts!"

Sammi couldn't help the smile that formed on her face as she shakes her head, thinking that Lucas was a five-year-old at heart. She gets up from the table, moving to stand between Dave and Alexa as Katie, Jennifer, and Jack joined them.

"Well," Lucas looks at each of them, his eyes landing on Sammi. Sammi sent him a sad smile and he returned the smile. He looked at everyone. "I'm off."

He hugs his parents and then Alexa who told him not to mess up. He replied with 'I'll try not to' and then moved over to hug Sammi. Their hug lasted longer than it probably should've and whether they wanted to admit it or not neither of them wanted to let go. They didn't let go until Alexa cleared her throat to get their attention. They quickly let go of each other, both chuckling awkwardly.

Sammi playfully punches his shoulder. "Good luck."

Lucas smiles at her. "Thanks."

After he hugged Jack, Jack went to go stand by his mom again, looking at Lucas. "It's gonna be weird being the only guy around here."

Dave looks at him with offense. "Seriously?"

Lucas shakes his head, looking at Jack with a smile. "You got this, Jack, but maybe don't wear a bathrobe to school."

Jack points at the gi he has on. "It's a gi. Cal quit Taekwondo and gave it to me. I'm wearing it to school so people know I'm cool."

Lucas purses his lips together, slowly nodding. "If that doesn't work, at least you'll know self-defense." He high fived Jack as Dave opened the front door and went out to help Lucas pack his car. Lucas sent a smile to everyone, waving goodbye before he left. "Bye, guys."

Lori closes the door behind him, looking over at Jack who was doing some Taekwondo moves. "Cherish this time, Jennifer." Lori gestured to Jack with a smile on her face.

"Every minute." Jennifer faked a smile when Jack farted. Everyone looks at Jack and he sheepishly smiles. "Um, Taekwon toots." He shrugs. "It happens."

Jennifer nods. "A lot."

****

Somehow the girls convinced Sammi to go with them when they got the groceries Dave needed. Sammi was just glad they got back alive with nothing broken. "Alexa, you were driving like a freakin' maniac!" Sammi yells, following Alexa and Katie into the kitchen. "I think I saw my life flash before my eyes."

"My Fitbit was telling me I was having a heart attack." Dave commented, setting down a bag of groceries.

Alexa sheepishly smiles, pointing at Katie. "Katie was fine. Tell that to my dad and Sammi, Katie."

Katie shakes her head. "Well, I was fine when we were in 'park'." When Alexa sent her an annoyed look, Katie points at the door. "I'm-I'm gonna go home and worry about college."

"I really thought that you would have better navigation skills." Sammi shakes her head, crossing her arms. "I mean, your dad is a pilot for crying out loud."

"What do you think I should write my college essay on?" Alexa questioned, ignoring Sammi's comment.

Sammi narrows her eyes at Alexa, looking at her with confusion. "How did we get from driving to college essay?"

"I was thinking I could write about me being on the basketball team." Alexa continued, moving into the living room with Sammi following her just.

"You could do that, yeah." Sammi nods. "And how you were able to be on the basketball team right after you battled Cancer."

"No," Alexa shakes her head. "Just the basketball part."

"Oh! This fills my heart." Lori exclaimed, walking into the room while looking at her phone with a smile.

"Ah, you got the, uh, anniversary poem I texted." Dave smiled.

"Oh, yeah." Lori speaks, not as enthuastically as she spoke a few seconds ago, patting Dave on the shoulder. "And Lucas posted pictures of his dorm." She smiles, looking at Dave. "Ah, our boy, I'm so proud of him."

"Yeah," Dave stands beside his wife, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he looked at the pictures. "I'm proud of him too. And I'm proud of myself because I'm making my bride one of her favorite things tonight." Dave took his arm off of her shoulders, walking back into the kitchen.

"Ooh, soufflé?" Lori guessed with a smile.

"That's right." Dave smiled, picking up a carton of eggs from the bag. Sammi cringed when they found out the eggs were ruined because of how crazy Alexa was driving.

Alexa apologetically smiles. "You know, they should really invent swerve-proof cartons."

"Okay, I'm going back to the store." Dave said.

"Ooh," Alexa grins. "I'll drive."

Sammi raises her hand, getting their attention. "I'm staying here 'cause I wanna live." Alexa sent her a look of offense and Sammi apologetically smiled at her while shrugging.

"Sure," Dave nods at Alexa. "Just, uh, grab my wallet from the table."

Alexa nods and walks over to the coffee table in front of the couch. She looks confused when she saw no wallet on the table. "There's no wallet."

When Alexa went into the living room, Dave quickly left. Sammi chuckles. "Yeah, he left."

****

Later that night, Sammi was outside, throwing a basketball into the basketball hoop when she noticed Alexa suddenly rushing outside with her laptop.

"Hey, Alexa, What's-" Alexa went over to Katie's, closing the door behind her while Sammi talked. "Wrong?"

Sammi tilted her head to the side, confused at what just happened. She shrugged her shoulders and picked up the basketball she threw at the hoop a few seconds ago. She was trying to stay out of Dave's and Lori's way so they could have their anniversary dinner which was why she was outside.

Just as she went to throw the basketball at the basketball hoop, she suddenly heard a familiar voice speak to her, "Wow, you're actually playing basketball without me? I'm hurt."

That caught her off guard causing her to miss the basketball hoop. The basketball bounces off the side of the hoop and falls to the ground. She turns around, furrowing her eyebrows when she saw Lucas standing there. She points at him as she stammers out a sentence. "You...You're supposed to be at college."

"I was." Lucas nodded.

Sammi looks at him with a teasing smile. "Oh, I get it. You just missed me so much and that's why you came back."

Lucas laughs. "No, that's not why. I got kicked out of my dorm 'cause I set it on fire."

Sammi purses her lips together, slowly nodding. "You know, I'm not surprised."

Lucas furrows his eyebrows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Sammi chuckles and shakes her head. "Have you told your parents you're back yet?"

Lucas nods. "Yeah. They didn't seem that happy about it 'cause I ruined their anniversary dinner."

"Anyway, come on." Lucas gestured her to follow him as he started walking to where his car was parked.

"Why?" Sammi looked at him with confusion, putting one hand on her hip.

"You're gonna help me carry my bags." Lucas responded.

Sammi scoffs but still followed him. "I don't remember volunteering."

"I volunteered for you." Lucas told her. Sammi huffed, crossing her arms while looking at him with an annoyed expression.

After she helped him carry his bags inside, they joined Dave and Lori at the table. Sammi shared a confused look with Lucas when Alexa walked inside with an angry look on her face. Katie soon followed her, just as angry as Alexa.

"What's your problem?" Katie asked Alexa.

"What's my problem? What's your-" Alexa gasped when Katie walked out in the middle of her question and Alexa went after Katie.

"This is weird." Sammi comments and Lucas nods in agreement. "They never fought before."

Alexa walks back inside the kitchen a few seconds later, leaving the door open. Katie walks in, following her to the living room. "You know, I'm glad you asked," Sammi notices that Jennifer and Jack joins them, most likely wanting to watch what was happening with Alexa and Katie. "Because I don't have a problem."

Alexa growls and stormed off after Katie when the blonde-haired girl left. Everyone got up and followed the two girls, wanting to watch this strange fight. Sammi stood beside Lucas when they got to Katie's house, seeing the two girls were standing in the living room.

Alexa puts her hands on her hips. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Everyone started going outside, thinking that Alexa was going to leave again, but instead Alexa stayed there. They went back inside Katie's house when they realized that Alexa didn't leave.

"It means I don't have a problem." Katie responds, putting emphasis on the word 'I'. "I know when to use my blinker. I know how to get to places without driving through the Bink's yard, so don't almost-drive my couch into oncoming traffic and think that I am the one with the problem."

"Oh, yeah?" Alexa challenged.

"Yeah." Katie nodded.

"Well..." Alexa is quiet for a moment as she thinks of something to stay. She points at Katie. "I had Cancer. Ha!"

"You..." Katie angrily laughed and followed Alexa.

Sammi and Lucas glances back at the others in question and Dave and Lori gestured for them to head outside. Each of them quickly back to the Mendoza's house. "Hey, no fair." Katie tells Alexa. "'Cause I can't say anything after you say that."

"I know." Alexa smiled and walked towards the stairs. Katie glared at her and left, slamming the door behind her.

Lucas and Jack sat at the table while Sammi stood beside Dave, Lori, and Jennifer at the kitchen island. "It's good to have a guy around again." Jack smiled at Lucas.

Lucas smiles. "Let's have some steak."

"Oh, yeah." Jack agreed. Sammi chuckled at the two. Lucas and Jack were quite the pair. Lucas picked up the plate of steak, putting it in front him and Jack.

"I don't care what you say, Lori," Dave said. "This anniversary went just as planned."

He takes the glass of wine Lori held and went to drink it when Jennifer asks him, "You got any more of that?"

"Oh, man." Dave groaned, handing the glass of wine to Jennifer who took it eagerly.

"That's fantastic." Jennifer commented after she took a drink of it.

In the end, Alexa and Katie made up, realizing that no silly fight could tear a friendship like theirs apart and whether Sammi and Lucas knew it or not, their friendship was starting to turn more into friends instead of frenemies.

A/N it took me forever to decide how to start but im happy with how this first chapter turned out! im already loving sammi & her & lucas :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.6K 393 41
when matt starts falling for a girl who he's been bestfriends with since middle school, he tries to hide them in fear of ruining there friendship β€’β€’β€’...
231K 4.8K 20
in which she doesn't want to get hurt again. matt sturniolo x fem!oc COMPLETED! themegamet, 2022.
3K 73 8
we're not good together, nate {lowercase intended} oc x nate jacobs Β©olivia simpson 2022
65.9K 1.5K 31
Max Mayfield x fem OC season 2 - βœ… season 3 - βœ… season 4 - βœ… season 5 -