Jammed (Louis Tomlinson au)

By katie_rick

"Partnerships are delicate, sometimes they end violently." // 2015 // More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter Nine

88 9 1
By katie_rick

The three of them stared at me with their eyes wide. I laughed as I sat down, setting my glass aside on the table in front of the empty setting that was welcoming me in, unlike the people at the table. Of course the woman still didn’t know who I was, so I was getting a great kick out of that. I wondered what she was thinking: if she was afraid, confused, or something else. 

“Sorry to intrude, I just happened to be in the neighborhood. In fact, I went over to your apartment Louis and the concierge in your building told me you were all out to dinner. I just thought we could catch up- some of us.” I made eye-contact with the woman. I was having fun with the story: I hadn’t been to Louis’ apartment, like hell I even knew where it was. It was just a good way to introduce myself, I thought. 

“Is- Is this your fiancee, Niall?” she finally spoke up, her voice soft and weak. So, she was worried. Or at least, she was acting like it. I remembered who she was and what information Mallory and the others in the office had gathered. Of course, none of them but Marlee knew that I was here, but who said I couldn’t do my own investigation. It was my vacation, anyways; I could spend it however I wanted to.

“No, God no. If that was the case, poor poor Niall.” Louis answered for Niall, laughing to himself as I glared at him. Niall stifled some sort of a laugh, and the woman just sat there straight-faced. She probably didn’t like Louis’ answer, because the only thing it told her was that Louis knew me. Of course, he didn’t appear to be very fond of me. But, he was getting very good in his training at the agency. 

“Sorry, I’m being rude. I’m Jancer, a friend of both of these two.” I looked at the two men sitting on either side of me as I spoke ever so politely. The color came back to her face and she smiled lightly at me, relieved to know who I finally was. Well, that is, she knew my name and that I was a friend of her boyfriend. So, I assumed she at least had some trust in Louis. That, or she just didn’t give a damn. 

The three of them hadn’t ordered anything yet, and so after I openly offered to buy a bottle of champagne, Louis opened up to the idea of me joining them for dinner. Not that he had a choice though, but I’m sure he knew that by now. I also learned that his girfriend was in fact the woman known as Sasha Frei: she was pretty and she definitely was full-blooded Russian. Her icy blue eyes and dark brown hair reminded me of an old friend. 

Her figure was small, most of her features the same way. She was cleaned up nicely and didn’t have any scars that I could see that weren’t covered by her purple cocktail dress. So, the Frei family most likely wasn’t a mafia family. But that left her an open target for anyone else in the country, including anyone of the Kaminski line. Easily she could tie into the case: the key to whatever the family needed for whatever sum of money she could dream up.

She most likely could’ve wagered Louis’ survival with them, but who really knows if any Russian can promise anything. You could never trust anyone with a family tie to the damn Soviets: my father had told me that when I was seven. I didn’t know what a Soviet even was then, but I’d had plenty of experience with them now. However, his statement had managed to spread to every ethnicity and every person. Times had changed and there was plenty more to fear in the modern world; plenty more to question with few answers to come. But I had to get answers from her tonight, whether Louis like it or not. 

I really didn’t know how he was feeling about all of this. Last I heard, he and Niall were supposed to be investigating her tonight, but how could Mallory expect the two of them to get anything done in Louis was an emotional mess inside and Niall was drunk of his ass. Of course the situation hadn’t come to that yet, but it could’ve at any time. And to think Mallory actually thought they could do anything without my help.

But, I was still curious about Louis. I didn’t know anything about his relationship with Sasha. He seemed to care for her at least a little though, meaning they had probably been together for a few weeks but weren’t totally serious. Even in such a casual relationship, though, learning that someone you care about is actually someone taking advantage of you is never fun. There’s of course the denial stage, like in any relationship; I hoped Louis wasn’t stuck in that one. If I could put my faith in Niall for helping him out of that one, I would’ve. 

He seemed to be enjoying himself, though. So, I figured he wasn’t too torn up about it. That, or he was too hopeful. But a Ph.D doesn’t usually have problems disagreeing with fact. If that was the case, Louis was doing a fine job at lying to her. 

“So, we’ve ordered champagne, yes? To what are we celebrating then?” Louis asked as one of the waiters finally brought over the bottle I had ordered minutes ago. He poured us each a glass and I watched the bubbles forming in each long, crystal glass. The bottle I had ordered was called Golden Gun. It was a pretty bottle, I had never had it before but it was in fact golden. It was fairly pricey so I figured it had to be good, and it was the least I could give any good possible suspect in a lead international crime. 

“How about partnerships? I understand that the three of you are doing some work together, so let’s toast to partnerships.” Sasha proposed, picking her glass up and raising it to the center of the table. The three of us soon joined her and we clinked our glasses together, some laughter erupting while I silently groaned to myself at the stupid gesture that people did whenever alcohol came about. Why did we always have to make a toast?

“Partnerships, yes, that’s a lovely thing to toast to.” Louis had spoken after everyone tasted the drink and agreed it was quite good in fact. Sasha smiled at him and continued to drink out of her glass, raising it to her mouth as the rest of us did the same. 

“They’re a funning thing you know: partnerships. Delicate little things. If you aren’t careful, they can blow up in your face. No one really thinks of it but sometimes they end violently. But, I’m sure with that toast our work is well on it’s way.” I spoke bitterly about the subject. What I said was true, though; I wasn’t just trying to get a reaction out of her. I had saved that for much later. But I really wasn’t fond of partnerships, obvious to the fact that I lived and worked alone. 

I had never been too attached to anyone and I never planned on being so. It was hard learning that as a small child, but with nowhere to go and no one to run to I didn’t really have the choice or even time to think it over. And even after almost twenty years of thinking it over, I still didn’t do partnerships. Nothing good ever seemed to come out of them. 

“Jancer, you’re too goddamn cynical. Maybe if you had a better mindset- or a heart, you’d actually have someone to share your life with.” Louis laughed and Sasha joined him, to my dismay. Whatever alcohol in his system was making him an ass, or just enhancing the fact that he already was one and I had forgotten for just a second. 

“Louis it’s so hard to remember that you have a brain and know how to use it when every single word you come up with is coming out of your ass. I smirked at Louis as Niall began to laugh heartily and the other two fell silent on their corner of the table. I smiled ever so slightly just because pissing Louis off was so much goddamn fun for me. 

I took another long gulp of what was left in my glass before readying myself for whatever pathetic comeback Louis would come up with next. Niall and Sasha both didn’t dare intrude, but I knew that Niall was at least enjoying the scene playing out in front of him. 

“Well, at least I can manage a brain. Remember, my dear, you’re only a lab assistant here to Niall. That’s basically the janitor of the biotech field. So, just remember that I am your superior.” Louis smiled and I almost gave him props for his clever little story. Since his girlfriend knew nothing about me except for the fact that I had been working with him and Niall, it made it fairly easy for him to manipulate my story. He continued to smile as he finished off another glass of wine, which we had recently switched to after dinner had arrived. Louis and Niall were both becoming a little tipsy, aligning with Louis’ sudden arrogance. 

“Yes, well, I may be a lab assistant but I’m a lab assistant at Yale while you work for some miniscule company that I had never heard of until Niall introduced me to you.” I replied, watching Louis take in my story bit by bit, analyzing it until he could put pieces together and plan his attack. It surprised me that he could work his mind so well while under the influence; it was a good skill in the case we were in. 

“Maybe we should talk about something else, you guys.” Sasha interrupted and Niall agreed with her, both of them turning to us concerned. I decided to go ahead and let Louis explain this one as I sat back in my chair and munched on the vegetables that were sitting on my still untouched plate. 

“Why Sasha? Are you not fond of my friend here? She really is just a friend, honest. I mean, we haven’t been together long but I haven’t cheated yet or anything. And if I had I probably wouldn’t have picked her anyway.” Louis leaned over to her side, slouching over the table and almost sticking his tie in her glass of red wine. He hit his hand on the top of the table as he did so, making all the glasses and cuttery shake throughout the quiet restaurant. He was making a scene and I was having trouble controlling my laughter, even if he had just horribly insulted me.

Sasha looked horrified as he finished speaking to her. No one really knew what to say, but Louis continued to drink his wine and laugh to himself as we all stared. Of course I was getting a kick out of it all, but I wasn’t going to show anyone that. It was too much fun just watching the awkward situation ensue, and this time it wasn’t even my fault. Well, entirely it wasn’t my fault. 

“Don’t worry Sasha. Louis just needs to open his eyes.” I muttered as he continued to laugh in his own little world. I didn’t know if she wanted my advice, but it wasn’t much anyway. As soon as I said it, Niall accordingly stood up from his chair and came over to Louis’ side. 

“I think you’d better take a walk, buddy.” Niall waited for Louis but finally the man did oblige. It was a relief to see him walk away from the table- or lean on Niall as he walked out the door. Sasha sure thought so as she let out a long sigh and relaxed back in her chair as soon as the two were out the door. 

“I’m sorry about him, really. He doesn’t normally act like this, or drink like this. I’m sorry if he’s offended you in any way.” She explained and I nodded, understanding that Louis was an ass when he got drunk, and basically all the time but I didn’t mention that. The two of us continued to eat our meals as we waited for the two men to return. But after a while it seemed like it was going to be a while and Sasha struck up a conversation. 

“So, you work at Yale, yes? And you live alone, but you’re good friends with Niall and acquaintances with Louis. You’re here on business I assume with Niall, what are you two working on?” she asked and I pushed my almost empty plate away, full from the expensive meal I had treated myself to. 

“It’s complicated. But, it’s an anti-virus, so that more people in the world don’t get things like cholera or ebola and such. We’ve been working on it for a while and with Louis’ help we might actually get somewhere. But I’m sure you know enough about Louis’ work, let’s talk about you. What do you do?” I asked, setting my elbows upon the table and leaning my chin on my hands to show her how intently I was listening. We were finally alone and I could finally conduct a good investigation. I just had to ease into it. 

“I work in sales for a company in London. We sell watches and jewelry. It’s fairly small, but it’s good and I like it.” she explained and I nodded. The fact that she mentioned the quaintness of the business made me question if it was so quaint that it didn’t even exist. In some cases small meant minuscule, but in others, small was literally nothing. For all she knew, Louis really was working for a small company and I was working a small job for Yale. We were all doing something small.

“Where are you from?” I asked her next, just because it was probably obvious to her that I was American meanwhile I didn’t know, at least I pretended, where she was from. It was just a simple friendly question, and she seemed happy to answer. “I’ve lived in London for a good few years. I’ve always lived in cities, though. I was born in Russia so my family was centered in Moscow for all of the time I lived there. So, whether I tell people I’m from Russia or England it’s always a big city.” she laughed and I smiled, noting that at least she wasn’t lying about her heritage. Perhaps she was proud of it.

“You’re Russian? I love Moscow, I’ve been there a good deal of times and I’ve always found it to be a fascinating city. Both the people and the history, just fascinating. That’s what I love about the world, even here where it is so much like America. People and history make things so unique, and it’s just really interesting to me.” I explained to her, hoping that she would have something to add on to the conversation. Nothing really had proved to be any help to the investigation, but I hoped that if I kept the conversation going something would come up. 

“So you travel? I’m not very worldly, although I’d love to be. Growing up in a small town and living in one for so long can isolate you, and I’d love to see what you see in the world. I just feel like I don’t have the money or the time anymore. Maybe I regret coming here and living here for so long, doing almost nothing for years. I mean, I just met Louis a few weeks ago. I feel like I’ve done nothing, despite the time I’ve had and the distance I’ve covered coming here. There haven’t been very many stops in between coming here and coming home.” she explained. I carefully sipped my wine as she spoke, listening to her words. I stopped, however, swallowing the warm liquid and putting the glass back on the table as she continued to babble on, not even noticing her little discrepancy.

She was no mastermind, I knew that going in. But in less than a few minutes she had proven her lie to me unknowingly. It made me question her place in the operation, but nonetheless I didn’t ignore it. One didn’t confuse growing up in a small town with living your whole life in the big city. 

“Yes, well, regret can pile up like books we’ve never read. So, don’t hesitate if you want to travel. If you’re looking for snow, go to Switzerland. Sun- go to Jamaica. Both lovely places, really. But I thought you were from Moscow?” I finally asked and I watched as her face turned pale and the glass she held slowly began to shake. 

“I don’t mean to question your story, but I can’t help but be confused as to where you’re from. I’ve been all over Russia, really, I will recognize whatever little town you may be from. But I certainly don’t think you’re from Moscow.” I smiled with ease and watched her struggle. Her eyebrows moved slightly as she put her glass down and sat her hands in her lap before smoothing out her dress three times. Her eyes wandered around the restaurant, probably wondering where the hell her drunk boyfriend was. I’m sure she’d rather deal with him than me right now.

“I told you that I wasn’t fond of partnerships before. And so I’m wondering what you really think of them. Who is your partnership with, Miss Frei?” I questioned her and her bright eyes met mine. They were cold and reminded me of the frozen Russian winters. 

“Louis. Louis is my partner and that’s all. I’m sorry if I confused you, but I was born in the country-side. We moved to Moscow though, so I didn’t lie if that’s what you are assuming. I believe in partnerships because I can trust people and in turn they can trust me. What about you, Jancer?” she asked and suddenly her tone had changed. It was as if Louis’ little girlfriend had been replaced with whatever girl the server had picked up back at the agency. It was hard to believe they were the same person, but she was Russian. 

Before I could respond, Louis and Niall had returned to the table. Louis had done a good job at making himself look less drunk than beforehand. I had to admit that his little scene was a good little act that managed to convince his girlfriend and give me some time with her. I wasn’t able to get any other names in the time they gave me, but it was enough time to prove that she was in on the operation. 

It wasn’t long after the two men returned that I decided to head to a hotel. It was getting late and I wasn’t sure how many places would still have rooms available; also my job was done for the night and I needed some rest. I excused myself after paying my share of the bill and walked around the table, saying goodbye to everyone one by one. When I got around to Sasha, I made sure to tighten my smile a little bit more and wink as I walked away from the group. She watched as I walked away, I knew she was. And she may not have known who I was, but she damn well knew she’d been played. 

I’d never broken up a couple before but it sure was fucking fun.

A/N: Okay so this isn't exactly what I wanted it to be. I just wasn't motivated with this one... I'm upset about it. But oh well, moving on and hoping the next chapter will be better is the best that I can do.

What do you think of Miss Sasha Frei? Is she really in on the operation? Is Louis still?

My birthday is in like fifteen days and I'm super excited. It's during my school's spring break  as well so that's good. I'm just counting down the days until I can finally relax from school; it's getting to the point in the year where everything is just exhausting. 

How are you guys doing? Let me know your predictions and thoughts on the story in your comments! Votes are wonderful as well! Thank you to all those who do so on every chapter, you guys are awesome! Have a fantastic week & happy early Saint Patrick's Day to all you Irish people!

Katie 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 579 42
"never again will i let anyone hurt you."
33.3K 290 27
Dirty and romantic one direction imagines. 13+ only please. Very descriptive.
904K 14K 55
When two different worlds collide..
60.2K 705 32
Everything Niall Horan related:) Jokes, Imagines and Short Story submission now taken;)