The Black Dane : The Fools War

由 Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... 更多

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburðarsonr

Watchers

349 15 5
由 Skipology

In a light cloud of dust and grass, Khaana fell back to the ground, her calves hook around a soldier's neck, he wheezed and hit the ground with his arm, signaling that he gave up. She smirked pleased with himself and freed him. "You're lucky the Danes don't fight this way often," she said getting to her feet. 

Uhtred laughed from where he stood next to Leofric, "at least you aren't the only one to lose" he said. Leofric sniffed, I didn't lose, we tied." He corrected.  "because that's any better?" Uhtred asked. "Are you saying you've bested her before?" Leofric questioned raising a brow. Uhtred laughed, "No, I doubt I ever could." He said watching Khaana spar with the men. "They're having fun," Uhtred said nodding towards them. The men were cheering and making bets, some had even broken out their travel flasks of ale.

"They should be training..." Leofric muttered. "They are, they are fighting and learning from their mistakes. Brida said that you were miserable people. Khaana is trying to show you that you can be serious without being too serious." Uhtred said. "It is the way of the Danes and from many other places. Great creatures like wolves or lions learn best how to fight, through play. She used to tell me this when I was small." Uhtred said with a fond smile.

"She and Ragnar used to play all the time, it looked so frightening like someone was going to get hurt, sometimes they did. But they would be laughing and each would be better for it later." Uhtred spoke with a distant wistfulness in his eyes.  Leofric cleared his throat, "so, get in there and show them how it's done then." Leofric said. Uhtred glanced up at him with a smile before rushing towards Khaana as she got to her feet.

With a playful battle cry Uhtred lunged at her, Khaana dropped to the ground and Uhtred flew right over her head. she stood up and smirked, "Osbert, you know well that never works." she mused a faint chuckle in her voice. Uhtred got to his feet and took a defensive stance, "no but it's fun." He laughed before running towards her again.

Uhtred landed on his back in the grass, laughing almost like he had when he was a child. The warriors laughed as well, the scary pagan near giggling was infectious. Khaana held out her hand as she huffed and puffed, she might have put him on his back but it was getting harder to combat Uhtred as he grew stronger and her own strength weakened.

Taking her hand Uhtred allowed Khaana to pull him to his feet, "I'm getting better." He said with pride, Khaana gave a playful scowl, "or I'm getting older," she hummed plucking grass out of his hair.

Leofric dropped his weapons and stepped forward, "to tired for one more round?" He asked. Khaana peered past Uhtred to the overgrown saxon man and grimaced. She looked to Uhtred, he seemed to trust the man a great deal already and he was usually a good judge of character. Khaana sighed, "to put you on your arse? never too tired for that Urswine." She said walking towards him. Leofric managed a smile, "you're ambitious aren't you?" Leofric asked Khaana as they circled each other. 

"and you are overly confident," said Khaana.

Leofric's eyes studied Khaana's steps, the way her feet and legs moved as they controlled most of her tactics. When she made the first move he found it easy enough to dodge, but it left him with a blind spot, she was faster and landed an attack at his back.

Before Khaana could count it as a true hit, she found her speed caught with Leofric's strength he'd grabbed her ankle after the kick and held it in his fist. lifting her into the air. rotating her body in a catlike motion Khaana pushed against his chest with her free leg, throwing off Leofric's balance he stumbled backward. but refused to let go of Khaana's ankle and so they both started to fall.

The stumps of Khaana's wings flexed as if to fly again, she groaned to herself, "of course you can't" she thought. twisting her body yet again, she landed on her leg and arms for support, and with her captured leg and a great deal of effort she pulled Leofric up with enough force that it put him back on his feet.

Her leg muscles screamed, the Sax was very heavy and it had been ages since she needed to work them to such an extent. Lowering her leg Khaana stood up again, stumbling slightly, it hurt to put weight on it. "Maybe that's enough." Uhtred called. "that fine by me-"

"Come on," Khaana called taking a fighting stance once more. "Lady, you've been-" Leofric started, Khaana tossed him a bored gaze, "I made a muscle ache because it has been under used. If this was real I could not stop because something hurt a little." she said pointedly, "so come on," Khaana stated again.

Leofric shrugged and took a stance again. Khaana's attacks became more desperate as she grew frustrated with his lack of trying. Leofric was now going easy on her, it was enough to make her want to spit venom. Deflecting Khaana's attacks was taking a lot of energy out of Leofric who started to slow. with a soft annoyed hiss, Khaana lept away from the fight, turning her back and walking away.

"where are you going I thought you wanted to fight?" Leofric called after her. "It isn't a fight if only one person's participating is it, Urswine." Khaana snapped. 

Leofric looked to Uhtred, "I told you to stop insulting her." he said with a shrug. "I was being nice, she was hurt." Leofric reasoned. "She said she was fine. Khaana is prideful you insulted that pride." Uhtred said. Leofric sighed, "The woman's a wall." Leofric grumbled.  Uhtred smiled and walked over to Leofric giving him a pat on the shoulder, "trust me, you will be grateful for that during an actual battle." He laughed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

After a successful raid, Ragnar went to the waters to wash. It was a battle fought without the aid of Khaana's healing and while it felt more rewarding it was also hard-fought. A smile slipped across his face as even here he could hear his men celebrating their victory and preparing for a feast and tribute to the gods that evening.

Ragnar sank down into the water, his mind could recall years ago the time he spent with Khaana in the lake and from there what he had experienced just a few days before. It still made his body shudder. It was maddening and she often confused him, but there was no force on earth that could convince him that they weren't not a shared destiny. 

Coming up for air, Ragnar had to rub the water from his eyes, for a moment he thought the pond scum might have messed with them. But when what he saw before him did not vanish, his brows knitted together. "Brida?" he questioned slowly.  Ragnar fixed his eyes to hers, afraid to let them wander as the young woman stood before him bare on the shores of the pond. "It's good to soak in cold waters after battle," Brida said, ignoring the large question on Ragnar's face.

He watched her wade nearer to him a smile on her face, "you lead them well today, Ragnar." she praised. "We all fought well," Ragnar said placing on a smile of his own, why trying to create a bit of distance. Brida side glanced at the water, "do you miss her?" she asked quietly. "Every day, but a promise was made. I know we will all be together again soon. It's only time, Brida. It moves fast." Ragnar said, resting a hand on her shoulder.

Brida looked from his hand and then into his eyes. " maybe for those who aren't left to wait, but for those waiting it will feel like a lifetime." Brida said with a light scowl. "Uhtred gave his word." Ragnar said slowly, "and Khaana gave Uhtred her word. Honor can be lost if it means victory but honor towards someone important to you, to your blood that is an honor that can not be lost." Ragnar told her, his words taking on a stern tone.

Brida cracked a small playful smile, "who knew you could be serious." she teased. Ragnar cleared his throat and removed his hand from her shoulder. "this is..." he muttered. Brida shook her head, "why are you so uncomfortable, you're never uncomfortable." She asked as he avoided making eye contact. "I would do this with Thyra and we should not be like this now." he said.

"I'm not your sister, Ragnar." Brida laughed, "But you are the love of my brother. And the Child of my woman." He reasoned. Brida's smile dropped into a frown. "My mother was killed by Danes, I am no one's child, I am no one love and Khaana is not your woman," Brida said. Ragnar met her gaze his eyes narrowing, "You say that form a place of anger because you still feel Khaana and Uhtred abandoned you. That is all. Be it today, a year from now, tens of years - " Ragnar gave a heavy sigh, "a lifetime, she is mine because I will always be hers." He stated.

"Not if she hates you, you made her a promise Ragnar." Brida hummed stepping closer. "If she returns and I am unhappy you would have failed," Brida said quietly. Ragnar looked to Brida cautiously, "are you unhappy?" he asked. She gave a shrug, "I might be, Uhtred was not who I thought he was, and he failed me." said Brida. her arm wrapped around Ragnar's neck as she peered up into his eyes. "You do not fail those you love, Khaana will never submit to any man here on earth, it is not who she is. I can give you something close, I have lived with her more than half my life." Brida said, she nuzzled her face into the curve of Ragnar's neck and bit at his skin. The nipping was a familiar sensation.

Ragnar quickly created distance, "That's mad." Ragnar barked. Brida smiled, "no it isn't, one day you will tire of her running and realise she has left you behind too. The only one she cares about in this world is Uhtred, her chosen son." Brida called as Ragnar waded to leave the pond. "I will be here then when you grow up and see it," Brida said.

---------------------------------------------------------

In Wessex Khaana found herself staring down a nervous young Odda.  The two of them knelt within the sanctuary in prayer. "thank you for taking the time to pray with me, lady herald. I know battle will come soon, these prayers may yet make me stronger to face them, make us all stronger." Young Odda said trying to hold her gaze. Khaana simply closed her eyes, "something strange is happening here." she thought to herself and they continued to pray in silence, little did the boy know, Khaana hadn't prayed a thing.

"Mind if I join you? I could use a good word put in to god on my behalf as well." Chimed Aethelwold. Kneeling between Khaana and Odda. Khaana gritted her teeth as she listened to him. "another one." she thought. "You're presence here will only hinder our prayers." Odda snapped at Aethelwold. "Is the church not meant for those who need to come clean?" Aethelwold asked.

"bow thy heads and shut your mouths or I will get up and leave," Khaana said struggling to remain calm. Odda and Aethelwold glanced at each other and did as told. A silly smile came to Aethelwold's face, "Thank you god, for this beautiful, if not slightly bleak and cold day...for allowing me to keep my head on my shoulders as my throne has been taken, so sending your lovely herald and Pagan servent to help us in this time of struggle and invasion." He prayed out loud. 

young Odda scoffed inwardly and cleared his throat, He would let the rejected king make a fool of himself, but he would also show that he was the holier man in the room. He made the sign of the cross, uttering softly "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." 

 " I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let him who hears say, "Come." And let him who is thirsty come, let him who desires to take the water of life without price. Not my will Lord, but yours be done....." Young Odda droned on.

"Lord save me from the ignorance of men." Khaana prayed as she listened to them

"Lady Herald?" called Beocca, Khaana wasted little time getting to her feet and rushing to the doors. "He does answer prayer." she murmured. "yes?" she asked the priest. "Uhtred is looking for you he and a few of the men are going to thwart a small group of Danes spotted to the east," Beocca said.

Young Odda broke prayer and got to his feet, "Should I not ride with them father Beoca?" he asked. Beocca shook his head, "not necessary, your father has sent Leofric along you should remain here." He said. Young Odda gave a nod and got back to his knees while Aethelwold sniggered.

"Are they at the gate?" Khaana asked. "yes, they are waiting there." Beocca replied, he held out his arm ushering Khaana to exit before him, "I will escort you there." He said.

On the way to the gates the two of them walked in silence, Beocca sighed heavily. "I never thanked you for watching over Uhtred all these years. I am not sure that he would still be here if not for you, surviving the Danes." Beocca said. Khaana chuckled bitterly, "They watched out for Osbert as much as I, if not more than I.," she said looking down at him. "He trusts them, he trusts them more than he trusts the people he was born to and for good reason. I am not done watching over him. In this place, I have to do so harder." Khaana said.

Beocca fell silent, "I did not mean to offend you. He trusts you and I am trying to offer friendship." Beocca said. "I have friends." Khaana said, "too many and you forget who to trust." she added. "that sounds a sad way to live, lady herald." Beocca said.

"Maybe, but you shall live a lot longer." Khaana sighed.

"I have heard some of the people have treated you poorly. I wish to apologize for them. they are only scared as when they look upon you and Uhtred they see pagans still." Beocca tried changing the subject he could almost feel her irritation. "Uhtred is Pagan." Khaana chuckled. Beocca looked up at her bother, "as well is he a believer in God, it's in his eyes. He has prayed to both and both have answered, " Khaana said. "But he can only answer to one." Beocca shot.

Khaana "exactly, he can only answer, Osbert himself. If you force him it isn't real. let his faith find its own path. there is a difference between teaching, telling, and imposing. I've been around for hundreds of years priest. A man forced to believe isn't a true believer he is a slave."

Beocca stopped and watched Khaana go to Uhtred, Leofric, and the men as they waited armed and ready to leave.

-----------------------------------------------------

Khaana sent a pride of glistening white lions across the fields to aid the men, it frightened the Danes as the creatures seemed to ignore their weapons, fear was the most powerful illusion there was. "are these beasts truly here?" Leofric asked Uhtred as they fought side by side. "who knows maybe you should try touching one." Uhtred mocked. "I like having all my fingers for the time being," Leofric said continuing to cut through the would-be raiders.

The men cheered as the Dane's fled. Uhtred and Leofric however held ground, "somethings not right." Leofric murmured. Khaana's eardrums popped as she could hear rustling in the foliage. Turning her head a small fox scurried out. "a fox?" Khaana questioned. 

Uhtred gasped, "Archers! " he shouted, "Together quickly! Shields up!" Uhtred called out. Khaana watched the men draw closer to each other and raise their shields as dozens of arrows flew upwards into the sky from within the trees. From halfway up a small hill, Khaana found herself isolated from the shield wall. a few of the men moved too late in raising their shields and were struck. "Shield together!" Uhtred called.

Khaana ran to a fallen man, kneeling at his side she lifted the corpse up as a shield. blood oozing down her arms as arrows landed in the body with soft thumps. Khaana cursed under her breath as she held the body up with both arms, listening to the arrows lodge themselves inside. Her arms shook slightly under the weight, How many archers did they have? why was the rain endless? Was this a well-planned defense or was this a trap?

Her mind buzzed, she could still hear Uhtred and Leofric trying to give the men orders. Closing her eyes, Khaana cast another illusion of lions and sent them into the woods, she could hear men and women shriek and the roars of her creatures. Arrows still took to the sky through the trees, Khaana struggled to hold up her human shield as the illusion she was casting took much of her strength. Her arms threatened to fail her.

Fewer arrows fell the more the screams from the trees grew. Uhtred watched the ghostly pale lions rush through their small shield wall and into the nearby trees. He cracked a smile, soon they would break the wall and rush in if only fewer arrows there flying. 

Glancing back over his shoulder, he could see Khaana struggling to hold up the body. One of her arms gave way, It was a narrow miss as Khaana strained to quickly lift the body back in place blocking an incoming arrow. "I got her," Leofric said, removing his shield from the wall the men quickly filled the gap he'd left. Moving carefully with the shield over his head, Leofric made his way to Khaana.

With her eyes shut tight to focus on her casting and to ignore her protesting arms.  The weight of the body became lighter, Khaana sighed in relief, opening her eyes she spotted another pair of arms, one of the arms held up the body the other held up a shield. "You." Khaana exhaled as she looked to Leofric. "just keep doing whatever it is you are doing." He said quickly. Khaana closed her eyes again and focused, The roars and snarls became louder, almost deafening and the screams slowly faded. The rain of arrows coming to a quick stop.

Uhtred, Khaana, Leofric, and the men held their breath in a pause as the world around them fell silent. Waiting for a sound, a battle cry the whizz of arrows.

When nothing came all lowered their shields. Leofric shoved the body away from Khaana and himself. "what was that?" Leofric asked looking about at the arrow-struck ground. "It had to be about two dozen of them with that firing rate," he said. "I don't know," Uhtred murmured looking towards the trees.  He ran towards the body of the Dane and inspected it carefully, "he has no colors." Uhtred said.

"He could have been with anyone then?" Leofric questioned, Uhtred gave a nod. "Search the trees, check the bodies see if you can find anything," Leofric ordered his men. Those who were not wounded took to the forests. Therein they found the bodies, collapse to the ground, not a scratch, cut, or bite on them. All the lions had vanished.

Khaana wrapped her fingers carefully around an arrow lodged in her shoulder, she'd hardly felt it happen. taking deep breaths she went to pul, "wait just a-" Leofric was muted with Khaana's cry. with the arrow free she tossed it to the ground. Blood shot from the wound. "idiot." Leofric grumbled, rushing back to her he pressed his palm to the wound to ass pressure. "I was going to say it looked like it hit a vein," he said.

"It will heal shortly, I can keep pressure on it, rip the hem of my dress and tie the cloth around my shoulder," Khaana instructed. Leofric looked uneasily down at Khaana's legs, "um...." he hummed looking back up at her. "I'll keep the pressure you can do the tearing." He said. "Don't be mad, My arms are exhausted, I can't tear the dress it's only a little." Khaana urged.

Leofric hesitated, but closing his eyes he did as he was told, Khaana could see hints of red across his face. "There." she heard Leofric whisper to himself once he had torn a piece of fabric, he quickly went to tying up Khaana's shoulder. with the cloth wrapped around several times, it still did not take long to bleed through. Leofric pressed both of his palms to the wound.

Uhtred stooped next to Leofric, he looked at the paleness of his face and laughed earning a scowl from the Saxon warrior. "what's so amusing?" Leofric asked. "You will see," Uhtred said, he turned his attention to Khaana. "Another one for the collection?" he asked her. "It would seem so." Khaana murmured in annoyance. "Will I ever get to see them all?" Uhtred asked. "maybe some, one day definitely not all." Khaana replied, she looked to Leofric who sat there in the grass completely lost. 

"remove your hands." Khaana said, "Lady it is still bleeding." He said.

"It is not, it is old blood. remove your hands." Khaana repeated. Leofric did as he was told and while blood dripped down his fingers and palms, no more seeped through the cloth. Carefully, Khaana unwrapped her shoulder, tossing the strips of dress to the ground. She peeled away the hole the arrow left in her dress and exposed the skin of her shoulder.

Before both Leofric and Uhtred's eyes, the wound closed up, open raw skin knitting closed.

Without thinking, Leofric reached out and pressed his fingers to where the wound once was. "How?" He asked.  "What do you believe is the reason behind it?" she asked him, her face void of an actual answer. Leofric said nothing for a moment, "I do not know from what god you come from, but you are not of man." Leofric said. Getting to his feet he took Khaana's hand and pulled her to her feet.

"You'd be surprised what man can create," Khaana said turning her attention to the forests. "They've nothing on them!" one of the soldiers called out. "We Head back to Wessex! The Lady Herald is struck, we report back to the King!" Leofric called out for his men to hear. "I'm fine, you should do some wider searches and make sure none got away," Khaana said.

"We shouldn't stay it's too open should we face another ambush." Leofric pressed. "Let's go, you need rest," Uhtred said, leading Khaana towards his horse.

---------------------------------------------------------

 Back at the city of Wessex, Uhtred helped rub a paste of various herbs on Khaana's shoulder where the arrow wound had been. "It doesn't feel right," Uhtred murmured, "why have they no colors, they were too organized not to belong to someone." He whispered.

"Exactly why someone should have stayed behind, to look for some tangible information." Khaana grumbled. "you are not wrong, we had to get you out. did you not feel it? they singled you out." Uhtred said looking into Khaana's eyes. She shook her head, "the only one who wants me is Ubba, Osbert. He would not do something as cowardly as send warriors who do not bear his name." Khaana reasoned. 

"But someone did," Uhtred said. Khaana gave Uhtred's head a pat, "I don't fear man, pup. But they came for you too - let them show themselves, I'll be ready." Khaana said a sly smirk. Uhtred sighed mildly frustrated.  

Leofric cleared his throat as he stood in the doorway, Uhtred got to his feet and passed the bowl of herb paste to Khaana, "you have news?" Uhtred asked. Leofric gave a nod of his head, "Yes, after reporting to Alfred he had us send a few scouts back out, nothing stood out but... there was this hanging in a tree?" he said, stepping forward Leofric passed Uhtred an animal skull mask. 

Taking it carefully Uhtred examined it, "I remember this....its-its- from Earl Ragnar's land." Uhtred said, looking up with wide eyes he passed it to Khaana "It was yours." He said.

Khaana traced her fingertips across the mask's smooth surface, "So it is..." she murmured a scowl slowly formed on her face. "Was this done by one of Earl Ragnar's former men?" Uhtred asked.  "It could have been anyone, still..." Khaana sighed casually, she tossed the skull on her bed and sat back down as if unbothered.

Uhtred watched her bewildered, "you are not worried about this?" he asked. Khaana looked up at him, "not in the slightest," she said nodding towards the door, "Now go enjoy the few days free of marriage you've left." She added. Uhtred chuckled faintly taking his leave. Khaana locked eyes with Leofric and he knew enough that she wanted him to stay.

"Urswine," she said, "holy mother preserve me, what did I do now?" Leofric asked causing Uhtred to laugh more on his way out. Khaana waited until she could hear Uhtred's footsteps fade, and carefully picked up the mask. "The scent of an enemy is on this mask," Khaana said carefully, She held that mask up. "He has too much sense to show up so close which means he's sent a servant, possibly a slave. But that ploy with the bowmen is clever enough for him." Khaana said.

Leofric sniffed, "So what is it you want me to do?" He asked with a tilt of his head. "Help me lay a trap, I do not want Alfred involved. I do not trust him and should he learn that the Danes, more so one tied to Uhtred's past are hunting me as well, beyond Ubba....he will use it for his own gains and I will have to cut his dismal face." Khaana explained with a dry tongue. Leofric smirked, "A trap then?" He asked.

"Do you know of a river or pound about here, I do not care if it's a bit of travel away. Odds are this man's men will track me. But he won't risk many, maybe three if that. If it appears that I've been left a lone for a moment." Khaana said. "I do," Leofric said with a nod, "so they think you're alone,  when they don;t expect a thing we take them...and then what?" He asked. "I talk with them, and send them back home with a message." Khaana sighed heavily "it should grant us a bit of piece from the fly." She said.

"and when do you plan on leaving?" Leofric asked. "Tomorrow....after today, it's better to rest," said Khaana. Leofric, turned to leave, and Khaana paused for a moment, "Urswine?" she called. Rubbing the back of his neck and a slight huff Leoric turned slightly "Hm?" he hummed. "I am..." Khaana's words seemed to struggle to get past her lips, "I am grateful for what you did today." she said.

The corners of Leofric's mouth ticked up in an amused smirk as Khaana seemed to be sulking in her pride. Unable to look him in the eye, "Lady, seeing you sat there like a small child made to say thank you is all I need." Leofric teased. Khaana's eyes narrowed as she scowled, "it will be the last time if that's how you are going to behave, get out." Khaana barked. Leofric chuckled silently as he gave a wave and excused himself.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

25.1K 694 33
"Lord, I would never say this to a Saxon, but she needs you. She is of two worlds, if someone were to find out, she'd be dead...She needs you, lord."...
367K 20.2K 73
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES ✨ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...
4K 213 14
When Signe was young, Earl Ragnar banished her father Kjartan and half-brother Sven from his land. But instead of condemning her to the same fate, he...
310K 23.9K 74
War A word that should inflict fear and terror is seen as the new normal. Kharis is a slave in the castle of Leonidas of Bethillore, Supreme commande...