The Overlooked Protector | A...

By TheInsaneFriend

"I've always been the second choice. Just once, I want to come first" Formerly called "Learning to Love Again... More

Summary & Cast
Act I
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 8

2.8K 59 1
By TheInsaneFriend

Quick A/N, please vote and leave a comment if you enjoy! I take constructive criticism too. It really motivates me to continue writing so thank you to those of you that interact <3

Katelyn's pov

Not long after Alec left me to my own thoughts, Clary approached me along with Jace.

"Kate, did a warlock steal Clary's memories? If one did, do you know which one?" The annoying blond interrogates.

"Yes, one did. I don't know who it was though, my mom stopped bringing me along after she told me about the shadow world." This was only half the truth however.

I knew it was Magnus, but I didn't want to bring him into this. Not yet at least. I didn't trust these people yet, so I wouldn't be telling them everything.

"Dang. Well since Jace told me that Dot was a warlock after I explained how she sent us through a portal to the police station. We can find her and we'll start there." I nod at my little sister, proud at the way she was sort of leading.

"Okay, c'mon then. Let's go find Izzy and see if she has any other clothes for you. I can tell you're not really too comfortable in that." I then direct my attention toward Jace. "You should probably go tell Alec or something."

After Jace nods and gives us some directions to the room, Clary and I part ways with him to find the beautiful brunette. We walk in a comfortable silence and as I'm about to knock on the door, I'm stopped.

"Kate?"

I turned to the girl who just turned 18 a couple days ago, "Yeah Little Red?"

"If you knew about all this stuff, why did you never say anything to me?" I could hear the hurt in her voice, my hard exterior immediately softening and a pit of guilt forming.

"I wanted to. I swear to you I did, but mom made me promise not to. The only reason I was even told was because she wanted me to be able to protect you and even if I were to tell you, mom would have had your memory wiped of the information." I hold eye contact so she knows I'm telling the truth, which I am, and silently plead with her to believe me.

She's silent for a moment before responding, "Okay, I believe you. But you promise you would have told me if not for mom?"

"Yes, I promise. I believe you would have been safer knowing actually."

Clary nods and gives me a small smile.

"Okay. Let's go talk to Izzy now and see if she has anything less revealing for me to wear."

I chuckle and proceed to knock on the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was currently standing behind the changing screen that Izzy had in her room after deciding a dress probably wasn't the best thing to wear incase we had to do something. While I did that, Clary was examining herself in the mirror.

"This is the least revealing thing you have?"

"What? All the naughty bits are covered. A little too much in my opinion," Izzy responds with a shrug as she comes up behind Clary.

I walk out from behind the screen, putting on my leather jacket. As I do so, the redhead speaks up once more.

"Where's Simon?"

"Who?" Izzy questions, causing Clary to tense before the brunette chuckles. "Kidding. He's in good hands with the boys."

The two of them then turn to face me. I was dressed in a black, deep v-tank top that revealed a decent amount of cleavage. Then on top of the thin straps that went over my shoulders, another pair of straps crossed over my collarbones, meeting a wide band that wrapped around the bottom of my neck. To tie the rest of the outfit was a pair of black skinny jeans, my leather jacket, and a pair of black heeled booties.

"Wow. You look amazing sis."

"Thanks, not the usual amount of boob I typically show, but I kind of like it."

"Well you can keep it." Izzy smiles, looking me up and down, approving of the outfit she gave me. "I have plenty more where that came from."

I smile back at her in gratitude. I genuinely like the young woman, she seems so confident and comfortable in her own body. Like she's the sort of person who knows what they want and will get it. I can honestly say I admire her.

I walked to the mirror to give myself a once over. That outfit was great, it made me feel more confident as well.

I turn back around as Izzy takes a seat on her bed and Clary speaks up, walking over to face her.

"So, um... you, Alec, and Jace are," she pauses for a moment before continuing. "What, like family?"

"Translation, you want to know if Jace and I are a thing."

I raise my eyebrow at this and walk toward them, "Really? Already Clary? You've known him for like a few hours or so."

"No, no. Why would I care?" Clary deflects dismissively.

"Because you do. Don't worry, in every way he's like my brother. I see him the same way I see Alec," she states. For some reason she glances at me for a second when saying her brother's name. My eyebrows furrow a bit, then return to a neutral expression, not having long to ponder on the thought before she continues once more.

"Our parents took Jace in when he was 10. We trained together, learned to fight side by side."

"A few days ago, all I had to worry about was getting into art school. And now..." She trails off. I look at my sister sadly. She really was just thrown off the deep end with all this.

"Is this the part where I give you the pep talk about harnessing your inner Shadowhunter and accepting your true destiny?" Izzy questions softly

"Was that the pep talk?" Clary questions back, in the same soft tone.

"Basically."

I move closer to my sister. "Clary," I begin, brushing a strand of hair out of her face before letting my hand fall to her shoulder. "I know this has all been really sudden, but your strong Little Red. You can do this."

"Remember, you were born to do this. No matter what has happened, this is who you are." Isabelle encourages, standing and grabbing one of her hands and squeezing it in reassurance.

"Not exactly feeling that..."

"Yet." Me and my fellow brunette counter in unison.

"Okay, but now we just have to find Dot."

"And track down and kill the most dangerous rogue Shadowhunter in history before he kills us all."

I laugh at Isabelle's bluntness. "Wow, Iz."

"You really know how to ruin a pep talk, don't you?"

"Come on, let's go," she turns to lead us before pausing and looking at Clary once more. "Oh, and Simon is kind of nerd-hot."

I shake my head in amusement once more as Clary leans back against the pillar in exasperation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk with Izzy as Clary talks to Simon up ahead of us.

"Thank you, by the way."

The woman my thanks was directed at looks at me. "What for?"

"For being kind and understanding toward two complete strangers. I know it can be difficult to trust people you've just met."

"Of course. And it wasn't too hard to trust you guys at all really. You're both kind and seem pretty genuine. I just hope that you eventually feel that you can trust us."

I falter briefly in my steps as Izzy continues to walk further into the training room. I quickly compose myself and catch up to her, ignoring the conversation between my little sister and little brother figure when we pass them.

The woman opens the weapons rack and is about to pick up a blade before Jace walks in and stops her.

"No, Izzy."

"Fifty bucks says he doesn't approve this mission."

"I don't approve of this mission," Alec announces as he enters the room.

I turn my head to the side to look at him. I catch his gaze for a millisecond before it leaves me to address the rest of the group. It didn't even feel like it happened with how fast the look passed.

"I spoke with the Clave. They're sending Seelie scouts to search for Valentine, but they made it clear. Katelyn and the little girl do not leave the premises." He gives Clary a hard glare after his statement.

"Hey, my name is not 'little girl,' okay? I don't care what that Clave thing or you want, I'm going to find Dot."

"Alec, this warlock could have the answers we need. With Valentine's people out there searching for Clary, she's not safe outside alone." Jace backs up the redhead.

"I hate to say it, but I agree with him. I would leave with Clary by myself, but it isn't safe for either of us to be on our own."

"Kate and Jace have a point," Izzy agrees.

"Et tu, Izzy? Alright, since you have all the answers, where do you suggest we search?" Alec interrogates with a harsh tone.

I grab my sister's arm and stand in front of her in a protective manner. While I do feel a bit bad that we're intruding on their routine, he shouldn't talk to her like that.

"We should start at Dot's apartment in Greenpoint, and there's this thrift store that she-" Clary responds civilly before cutting herself off with a gasp.

I turn to face the 18 year old, worried and wondering what was wrong. She looked to be in a trance as she held onto the necklace our mother gave her before we were sent to the police station.

"Clary?" I call, my hands grasping both her shoulders firmly. She then seems to come out of her trance.

"What's wrong? What is it?" Jace quizzes. He was stern but also concerned by the sound of his voice.

"I um, weirdly, I think I know where Dot is."

"Great. I'll drive." We all turn to face Simon. "What? Unless you have, like, a Shadowhunter-mobile or something."

God this boy never fails to bring some entertainment to my life.

He suddenly looks down as if he's just realized something. "You guys were kidding about the runes on the floor killing me, right?"

All of us shadowhunters exchange looks, small smirks growing on each of our faces. I may love the kid, but it's fun to mess with him every now and again.

"Possibly," Jace finally acknowledges. He pats Simon on the side of his face as he walks past and out of the room. Alec right behind him and me following as well.

The tall man slows slightly in his pace and falls into step beside me.

"So, you exchanged Izzy's dress for one of her tops," he notes. I noticed he quickly scanned my appearance before shifting his gaze forward once more.

"Yeah, I thought it'd be easier to maneuver in something other than a dress incase we run into trouble or something."

"Good idea."

"Yeah..."

We're then left in an awkward silence until we reach the van so we can go find Dot.

~Unedited~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

1801 words woooo. My goal is to type a minimum of 1000 words per chapter now. Also my original plan was to finish the rest of episode 2 in this chapter, but I got lazy so I'll finish it next chapter which I'll hopefully write tomorrow. 

Anyway once again, vote and comment if you enjoyed! I really appreciate any form of feedback. Have a great day/night <333

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 4K 91
Started: 6th May 2021 Finished: 21st November 2021 {Alec Lightwood x OFC} {Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments} {Season 2} {Book 2 of 4} {2021}
250K 4.6K 39
{Alec Lightwood x OFC} {Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments} {Season 1} {Book 1 of 4} {2021}
1.8K 111 12
A series of one-shots about some first things Magnus and Alec experience together, which together create a journey of Malec from meeting each other...
31.5K 767 32
Started: 21st November 2021 Finished: 3rd March 2022 {Alec Lightwood x OFC} {Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments} {Season 3A} {Book 3 of 4} {2021}