FLAWLESS - J. MAYBANK

By nqrnian

❛ YOU'RE A DOLL, YOU ARE FLAWLESS - BUT I JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR LOVE TO DESTROY US. ❜ in which sarah cameron's... More

i. introduction
ii. the outer banks
iii. aftermath
iv. skeleton party
v. lightweight
vi. beach bitch
vii. love?
viii. boards up
ix. golden
xi. all i want
xii. dirty minded fuck
xiii. blood is thicker
xiv. gold time, love
xv. stay
xvi. moody
xvii. let me go
xviii. oh god
xix. my girl
xx. mrs maybank
xxi. letters
xxii. special
xxiii. gone
xxiv. goodbye
xxv. bonus au

x. midsummers

5.3K 63 24
By nqrnian

Maelynn couldn't get enough of JJ Maybank. 

Despite their differing social standings, despite Maelynn's reputation, despite JJ's lack of prospects, and despite the fact that they were expected to despise each other, they managed to find solace in one another. 

JJ texted or called her almost constantly, raising questions around her house from time to time. She merely shrugged them off with a smile. She and JJ weren't exactly a secret, but her father wouldn't be the happiest camper if he knew his daughter was going out with a pogue boy. Especially Luke Maybank's boy. 

Nor would he be happy to find out Sarah and John B had been sneaking around together. 

Maelynn had heard it recounted firsthand from her twin. She sat and listened as Sarah described the boys' run-in with a chain and the scrape left on his stomach as punishment. It made her laugh a little. Then Sarah continued on, explaining how they went on an entire adventure to learn more about Denmark Tanny and donned fake personas to make sure the act was realistic. Maelynn had laughed. 

'Right,' she said with a smile, 'Because the names Val and Vlad for a couple of sixteen-year-olds are very believable.'

Sarah had shrugged in response. 'Everyone we talked to bought it.'

'Or pretended.'

'Oh, shut up.'

'Continue.'

Sarah told Maelynn all about her rain kiss and the beautiful dressy outfits they had bought for their act. She said it truly felt like something out of a movie. Maelynn couldn't help but giggle and squeeze her sister tight. 

'You're not going to be part of the virginity rocks club for much longer, by the sounds of it.'

'Neither are you!' Sarah shoved her sister. 'From what John B told me, you and JJ have been getting worse and worse.'

Maelynn rolled her eyes. 'I haven't even had my first kiss yet, S. I'm hardly going to get that and fuck JJ all in one go.'

'You never know.'

In truth, Maelynn trusted JJ just enough to let him take either or both of her firsts. There was just never really an opportunity with all the hectic-ness of the gold hunt. 

And now, being rich and all, she was readying herself for Midsummers. It was pretty much a celebration of being affluent and attractive. So stupid, such a waste of time. And yet she still liked the excuse to wear a pretty dress. 

As twins, Maelynn and Sarah had dressed matching every year. This year, however, they decided to break tradition and go separate. Sarah had picked a simple white dress and flower crown. She looked like an angel - complete with a halo, no less. Maelynn went with a long red gown. She hardly ever wore both dresses and red, so she took the opportunity for both. She also opted for little rosebuds tucked throughout her hair instead of the usual flower crown. 

kiara
i look like a flower shop hurled on me.

maelynn
jsdnvoudvhks
girl same
cant wait 2 c u now

kiara
ugh
imma make my escape asap
u coming with

maelynn
ofc i am
is pope helping his dad

kiara
yea i think so

maelynn
cool
ill b over there the whole night then

kiara
lol
gtg
moms gonna kill me if i keep complaining

maelynn
good luck
c u soon

'Maelynn! Come down!'

'Coming!' she called back, shoving her phone in one of her pockets. That was probably the biggest selling point of the dress. She adored dresses with pockets. They were so much more convenient than carrying a bag around the whole night. 

She smiled as she went down the stairs, stopping at the bottom to fake pose for her family. Wheezie and Sarah laughed and clapped, while everyone else just smiled in amusement. Rose insisted on a picture of the sisters together. Wheezie stood in between the twins and wrapped her arms around them as their stepmom documented their outfits with a smile. Rafe was then forced to join in on the picture taking. He - albeit reluctantly - stood beside Maelynn and wrapped an arm around her shoulders for the photo. Ward smiled at how happy and lovely all of his children looked. 

'Come on,' he said after there was a sufficient amount of pictures taken. 'We don't want to be late.'

Maelynn smiled and took her twins' hand as they all went out to the car. 

'Rose looks like the teletubby sun,' Sarah whispered to her as they walked. Maelynn snorted. 'What? Even Wheezie agrees with me.'

'You guys are so mean.'

Sarah shrugged. 'Oh well.'

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧

The Cameron's were met with greetings and smiles from all directions as they entered the party. Though everyone on the Figure Eight had enough money to look amazing, they managed to be the best-dressing. It was just how Ward wanted it. 

Topper came over almost as soon as they were through the doors, smiling at Sarah and Ward especially. 

'You all look great,' he said politely. Maelynn rolled her eyes and searched the room for Kiara. She was nowhere to be found yet. Shit. 'Especially you, Sarah.'

'Thanks,' Sarah replied, not letting go of Maelynn's hand. 'You look nice as well.'

Topper smiled and held an arm out for her. 'Can I get you a drink?'

Sarah looked at Maelynn, who shrugged and nodded. Why not let her sister have at least a little fun tonight? 'Sure.'

As Sarah and Topper wandered away, Ward leaned over. 'Do you have an issue with that Thornton boy? I thought you were best friends.'

Being honest would mean risking her reputation in front of her father. 'He and I have just been arguing again lately. I'm sure it'll be fine in a day or two.'

He patted his daughter's arm. 'I'm glad. Promise you'll try and have fun tonight?'

'I'll try, dad,' she smiled at him. 'As long as I can drink at least a little.'

'Don't tell anyone.'

She grinned and squeezed his hand before following her sister's steps towards the drink table. Pope and Heyward were setting up food and coolers behind it, so she hung around inconspicuously until Pope saw her. 

'Is that champagne?' he asked in a whisper. She nodded and held the glass out to him. 

'Try. I hate it, but dad said I could drink.'

He took a sip and made a face. 'Why do you guys drink so much of that?'

'I have no clue. How are you? How's your face healing up?'

'Meh, you know. Might have some bruising for a little while. Nothing I can't handle. How about you? Topper still on your ass about us?'

She chuckled. 'Topper's always on my ass.'

'Lucky Sarah, then.'

She looked over to her twin, who was now dancing with Topper. She looked surprisingly happy and like she was having a fun time. 

'Yeah. Lucky Sarah.'

'Thank God!' Kiara called as she came over. 'I was trying so hard to find you, M! And now I've got Pope, too!'

Maelynn laughed and surveyed her friend. 'You actually look really nice, Kie. The pink is perfect with your skin.'

'Aw, thanks. I love the red on you. Very elegant.'

Pope cleared his throat behind them. Maelynn turned back to him. 'You look lovely as well, Pope.'

'That's not why, but thanks,' he replied with a smile. 'I love talking with you guys, but my dad's gonna have my ass if I'm not working, so...'

'Got it. Have fun, my friend.'

He saluted the girls as they left, drinks in hand. They talked about the gold and what John B had learned the day before. It seemed he had left out the critical detail that was her sister. Oh, well. He'd have to lie in the bed he made someday. 

'May I have this dance?' Kiara asked once they were both done their fourth glasses. Maelynn laughed and took her hand, leading her to the floor and wrapping her arms around her. They joked around and kept talking the whole time. 'Have you and JJ...you know?'

'No, not yet. We haven't even kissed yet.'

'Really?'

Maelynn nodded. 'Yeah.'

'If he sees you tonight, that may change.'

'Kie!' Maelynn laughed and smacked her arm. 'Oh my God!'

'What?' Kiara laughed back. 'You know I'm right.'

'Ugh. Maybe.'

They laughed again and kept dancing for three more songs, until Kiara's parents called her over. Maelynn waved at them before heading over to her own family. Sarah and Wheezie were dancing together in the middle of the floor. 

'Mind if I join?' she asked as she came over. Wheezie grabbed her left hand in response, leaving Sarah to grab the other as they spun in a circle. Maelynn grinned at her sisters and twirled each respectively once they were done spinning. She was double spun by them both at the same second, leaving her backwards. Oh, and also face-to-face with JJ. 

'Maelynn?' he asked. 

'JJ?' she asked at the same time. 'What are you doing here?'

He held up a slip of paper. 'I've got a note for Sarah from John B. I didn't even recognize you.'

'Oh.'

'You look...amazing.'

She grinned at him. 'You look great, too.'

'Thanks. It's not my first choice in outfit, but it's something.'

'It looks good. Very fancy.'

Wheezie peeked around her arm. 'Oh my gosh. Is this JJ?'

'Wheeze, dance with Sarah for a few minutes. We'll talk later,' Maelynn said. Wheezie made a face at her back but listened, turning to Sarah and letting go of her other sister. 'Sorry.'

'Don't worry about it. Is that your little sister?'

'Yeah. Her name is Wheezie. I told her a little about you, so she's clearly quite eager to meet you.'

He took Maelynn's hands. 'Sweet. Can I, like, actually talk to her?'

'Why don't you give Sarah the note and then we can get drinks or something.'

'Deal.'

He let Maelynn go and tapped Sarah on the shoulder, whispering something that made her smile. She apologized to Wheezie and ran off, leaving Wheezie and Maelynn to talk with JJ. 

'Come on. I'll let you try a bit of champagne if you promise not to tell dad,' Maelynn said as she took Wheezie's hand. Wheezie and JJ both smiled and they all walked back to the drink table, where Heyward gave the girls a smile. He mimed zipping his lips closed and turned away from the table as they grabbed two flutes. 

'So you are JJ?' Wheezie asked as they sat at one of the tables. 

'The one and only. Nice to meet you,' he held his hand out and they shook. 'What's your sister said about me?'

Wheezie smiled devilishly. 'Oh, all these sweet things about you being kind and trustworthy-'

Maelynn clapped a hand over Wheezie's mouth. 'Don't be like that!'

'It's nothing you haven't told me yourself, princess,' JJ said with a smirk. 'Let your sister be.'

'Fine.'

'You better not hurt her,' Wheezie said seriously once she was free. JJ smiled. 

'I wouldn't dream of it. I promise.'

Wheezie smiled back and nodded, satisfied. 'Good. 'Cause the kids in my class really like her, so you'd have a ton of eighth graders chasing you around for weeks on end if you did.'

JJ laughed. 'Thanks for the warning.'

'Of course.'

Maelynn smiled at them both and took JJ's hand under the table. 'You've got nothing to worry about, Wheeze. JJ's a great guy.'

'Why can you say it and I can't?'

'Hypocrisy.'

Wheezie rolled her eyes and got up. 'I'm going to get some fancy sparkling water or something. Don't make out too hard.'

JJ laughed and fist-bumped her. 'You got it, kiddo. Enjoy your tv static water.'

'That is what it tastes like. What the fuck?' she muttered as she walked away, leaving the couple to themselves. They clinked glasses and JJ downed all of his in five seconds. 

'Good lord.'

'I know, right?'

Maelynn wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his chest. 'So? What did you think of Wheezie?'

'She's cool. I like her a lot.'

'Win for me.'

JJ wrapped his arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead. 'Is her name actually Wheezie?'

'It's Louisa,' Maelynn laughed, 'But we decided that was too boring when we were little, so we called her Wheezie and it stuck. Sarah calls her Sneezie sometimes.'

'Really?'

'Really.'

'I love it.'

They laughed. Maelynn let her eyes travel around the room, landing on Topper. He looked disheveled and angry. That look intensified when he saw her and JJ. 

She sat up and loosened her hold on him. 'You might want to make your escape.'

He followed her gaze to Topper, who nodded at them. It was brusque and obviously a threat. 'You know, I think I like my chances. He's a bit of a beanpole.'

'JJ-'

He placed his hands on either side of her face. 'Do you trust me?'

'Most of the time, yes.'

'Trust me now. I'll be back in a few minutes.'

She kissed his cheek and stood up. 'Get out if there's more of them.'

He nodded and followed Topper, who had turned on his heel and walked off in the direction of the bathrooms. Maelynn sighed worriedly and went over to Rose. 

'Enjoying the champagne?' she asked with a smile. Maelynn made a face. 

'Not particularly. I think I'm more of a hard iced tea gal.'

'Too bad that's not a fancy drink. I'll make sure to stock up at home, if you want.'

Maelynn smiled at her stepmom. 'That'd be awesome. You wouldn't happen to know where Rafe is, would you?'

'He said he had to take a leak a few minutes ago.'

Her stomach dropped. She should've known Topper wouldn't fight fair. 'I think I'm going to go find Kiara again, if that's okay.'

'For sure. Have fun!'

She smiled and wandered off, scouring the party for her friend. She was dancing on the floor with her father, looking mildly bored but still happy. Maelynn decided to leave her be and find Pope instead. 

'I saw JJ, is he good? Why is he here?' Pope asked as soon as she approached the drinks table. 

'He was giving my sister a note from John B. He's about to get cornered in the bathroom and I don't know what to do.'

'What the fuck are you talking about?'

'Topper saw him and I and gestured for him to go fight, and JJ being who he is accepted and followed him out, but Rose told me that Rafe left a few minutes ago and I can't find Kelce, which can really only mean one thing-'

'They're jumping him in the bathroom,' Pope finished. Maelynn nodded and gulped down air. 'Shit.'

They didn't have to talk for much longer, though, as someone seemed to have find the boy they were speaking of. He had him by the back of the shirt and was dragging him out of the club, the terrible trio following close behind. Maelynn was glad to see Topper and her brother both looking a little mussed. 

'You can't just kick him out!' Kiara called, leaving her father. Everyone was watching JJ as he looked around for the person defending him, then Maelynn and Pope. He smiled apologetically when he saw the former. She smiled back. 

The man ignored Kiara's protests and shoved JJ down the stairs, gesturing off into the night. JJ saluted before turning to the rest of his friends. 'Mandatory meeting.'

Kiara and Maelynn ran immediately, with Pope following close after. JJ caught Maelynn up in his arms and half-carried her out to where John B waited for them. She had no thoughts of what she may have just looked like to her family, just joy for being with her favorite people. 

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧

2629 words.
written august 14-15/21.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 134 19
❝ 𝙞𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙞𝙩 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙨𝙤 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠, 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙖𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚, 𝙞𝙣𝙫𝙞𝙨𝙞𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜. 𝙩𝙮𝙞𝙣�...
997K 12.8K 79
𝘪𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘶𝘴 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺, 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘥, 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦...
138 1 8
𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋 ( outer banks ) ( fem!oc x male!oc )
10.8K 140 11
𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 ( outer banks ) ( pope x fem!oc )