You Are The Reason

By ameesaAhlam

"I don't fear darkness. I am the darkness." Being the leader of the largest Mafia group in USA, Ruslan Searlu... More

CHARACTERS
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1: All Alone
CHAPTER 2: Save Me
CHAPTER 4: Personal Maid
CHAPTER 5: Trust
CHAPTER 6: Cookies
CHAPTER 7: Trouble
CHAPTER 8: Aurora
CHAPTER 9: Furious
CHAPTER 10: You Are A Monster
CHAPTER 11: All My Fault
CHAPTER 12: Attack
CHAPTER 13: Disappeared
CHAPTER 14: Avoiding
CHAPTER 15: Comfort
CHAPTER 16: Funeral
CHAPTER 17: In Love
CHAPTER 18: Screwed
CHAPTER 19: Brother?
CHAPTER 20: Pleasure
CHAPTER 21: Breakfast
CHAPTER 22: You Drive Me Crazy
CHAPTER 23: You Are The Reason
CHAPTER 24: Bring Down The Searlus Mafia
CHAPTER 25: Lies
CHAPTER 26: Lies (Part 2)
CHAPTER 27: Tears
CHAPTER 28: Date?
CHAPTER 29: Wife
EPILOGUE
New Story!
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story!

CHAPTER 3: You Are Safe Here

14.1K 555 46
By ameesaAhlam

Alfresca's POV:

I gently closed the door behind me, my eyes roaming around the study in admiration.

And then it fell on the figure sitting in the swivel chair behind the desk. His back was towards me, his broad shoulders draped with a white shirt were only visible.

I cleared my throat and the he swirled the chair around to face me. A paper was in his hand, his eyes focused on it and then he slowly lifted his eyes and his gaze collided with mine. The coldness inside those eyes made me take a step back in fear.

He placed the paper down on the desk, and placing his forearm on the desk, leaned forward, intertwining both his hands.

I took in his sharp, handsome features of his face and I have to admit, he's attractive. Brown hair, deep and velvety brown eyes, a stubble adorning his jaw and the sharp jaw line.

Realising I was still staring at him, I lowered my gaze and stared at the floor instead and nervously fiddled with my fingers.

Oh, how beautiful the floor is.

"Take a seat." I heard his cold, deep voice with a hint of Russian accent and I lifted my head and he gestured to the chair in front of his desk.

Gulping, I hesitantly walked closer, with my eyes still lowered. And slowly sat down on the chair.

"I...I...need help." I whispered before he could say anything. "Please."

"You told Geordi they were the Meryd gangsters..." He spoke.

Geordi must be that man. I nodded. "Yes. They are after me."

"And why are they after you?"

I contemplated before telling him what happened last night and how my landlord just threw me out. His face didn't show any emotion, his eyes were cold, his lips pressed in a thin line as he listened to me.

After I finished, he leaned back in his chair. "And your family?"

"I don't...have any." I admitted.

"No one?"

I shook my head. "They all died in a car accident when I was eleven. And I don't have any relatives...I grew up in an orphanage."

"What was the name of the orphanage?" He inquired.

My brows knitted together. "Why do you need the name of my orphanage?"

"Just answer the question." He stated firmly leaving no room for argument.

I told him the name of the orphanage and he hummed in response.

"How old are you?" He proceeded to ask.

"Twenty one." I have this habit of questioning back the same thing when someone asks this type of questions. So before I could comprehend, I spoke. "And you?"

I immediately bit my tongue and shut my eyes tightly in embarrassment. You are not on a date, Alfresca. Nor he is a friend.

When I slowly opened my eyes, there was a hint of amusement in his eyes. Maybe I imagined it because they were back to cold again immediately.

"I...I...am...sorry. It just slipped out." I apologized and he hummed.

When he didn't say anything, I thought of asking. "Am I safe here? Are you going to help me? Because my friend told me that even the cops are afraid of them."

"You are safe here, Alfresca." Was all he said coldly.

"But...how? I mean even the cops are scared of them. But...you...are you more powerful than them?" Oh, how stupid I was sounding.

"Yes. The Meryd's can't reach you here."

"How?"

"Because they are scared of only the Searlus Mafia."

Searlus Mafia? The one Lucy told me about. The largest Mafia in the whole USA.

Wait a damn minute.

My eyes widened and I leaned back in my chair in fear. "W-who are you? And where am I?"

His lips tilted into a slight smirk. "My name's Ruslan Searlus, the leader of the Searlus Mafia. And welcome to the Searlus Mansion."

"N-no...no...no!" I promtly got up, my eyes wide with fear. I took a few steps back.

I just landed myself in hell.

I ran to the door and tried opening it but it was locked. I turned to him who seemed to be enjoying my panicked state.

"Let me go, please!" I pleaded. "Open this door!"

"I said you are safe here." He stated firmly. "I gave you my word."

I didn't trust him and I frantically shook my head. "Please, let me leave."

He sighed and spoke nonchalantly. "You leave this mansion and they kill you within the next ten minutes."

And I stop panicking for a moment. If I leave, I will be dead. But how can I be sure that if I stay I sill be alive.

I banged on the door. "Please, open this door! Let me go!"

I heard his sigh deeply as I continued banging on the door and then all of a sudden, I was grabbed by my forearm and turned around, my back against the door as I looked up at him terrified as he took a step closer to me and stared down at me coldly, intimidating me.

"I said you are safe here. That's it." He repeated his statement, almost growling.

A shiver ran down my spine. "I can't trust you." I whispered in a weak voice.

He cocked his head. "I am saving your life, Alfresca. And I gave my word. I don't go back on it."

I closed my eyes, tears flowing down my cheeks. "Let me go..." My voice cracked.

"Where will you go?"

"I...um...I don't know." I admitted gloomily.

He took a step back and called out. "Geordi."

There was a click sound and the door opened. Is he letting me leave?

I moved away from the door as it opened revealing Geordi. And he spoke to Geordi. "Could you please show her one of the guest rooms downstairs?"

"Sure, sir." Geordi spoke in the same monotone as earlier.

"What?" I said in disbelief. "I'm not staying here."

"Take her away, Geordi." I was ignored.

"Ma'am." Geordi gestured me to follow him.

"I am not staying here!" I shouted.

Mr Searlus or whoever the fuck he is, his jaw clenched and Geordi looked at me in disbelief as if I did what.

He spoke in dangerously low voice to Geordi as he glared at me. "Okay. Give her her bag and other things back and let her leave."

"Sir, are you sure?" Geordi questioned.

His head snapped to him and he gave him a glare too and Geordi muttered. "Of course, sir."

Mr Searlus turned his back towards us and walked back to his desk and Geordi gestured me to follow him which I did.

He is letting me go!

Happily, I followed Geordi down the corridor and then down the stairs and out of the mansion where a man came with my things and handed them to me.

I glanced back at Geordi who stood by the gate as he was earlier and started walking away from them.

But what now?

Where do I go?

My steps faltered. Where the fuck do I go now? And what if they find me again?

At least anywhere will be better than living with a Mafia leader.

Just as I turned right, I saw them again.

Did they not give up yet?

I froze in my track, my eyes fixed on them. They didn't see me yet.

There was death in front of me. And behind me there was a chance of surviving. Maybe.

Without any second thoughts, I ran back to that mansion and when Geordi saw me coming, his lips formed a sly smile.

Did he know I will come back?

I ran straight to him. "Geordi!" I shouted. "Help! Let me in!"

He wasn't wearing his sunglasses anymore and he subtly rolled his eyes.

"Ms Alfresca..."

"Does that offer still stand? Can I stay? Please!" I asked hopefully.

He took out his phone and calling someone, spoke. "Sir. She's back."

He kept his eyes on me as he was being instructed over the call. "Yes, sir." And he hung up the call.

"Come on." He said walking back inside as I followed him giving a sheepish smile to the other guards that were standing there.

This time, my things were not taken away from me for which I was thankful.

Once inside, instead of going upstairs he walked past the staircase and towards a small corridor where he opened the first door to the right.

"This is your room. After you are settled, let me know. Sir would like to meet you." He instructed and I nodded.

He nodded back curtly and left closing the door on his way.

I sighed and placed my bag on the bed.

Damn. This man is rich.

I sat down on the edge of the bed. He's a Mafia leader and he saved me. Why?

I mean, I did ask him to save me but...he let me stay in his house knowing I'm homeless. Why?

Is there a catch? Does he need anything from me? Because a Mafia leader just doesn't help you without any reason.

He has to have a reason for this.

Though I am grateful for it. But...

Am I really safe here?

According to what Lucy told me, this man is heartless. And he saved me. But who knows...what he has planned for me.

Chapter completion on: 11/8/21

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6M 198K 90
[Book one in the Nystrom duology] [Read tw before proceeding] [Dual pov] TW: This book contains heavy themes such as mature content, language and sen...
948K 22.3K 59
⚠️ MATURE STORY⚠️ "Now, why is a little girl getting involved in the devil's playing field. Didn't daddy ever tell you not to play with the big boys...
406K 8.4K 33
A crime boss struggles to carry out a vendetta after he falls for the spirited daughter of his enemy. ...
62K 1.5K 16
His hand wrapped in her hair, yanking her face up to him to look into his angry eyes. "Tell me where the fuck is he?" He growled, making her shudder...