The Useless Duke's Daughter S...

By honeyandcreambutter

When May opened her eyes, she found herself clinging to the body of Evangeline Amelia Alcmene, the daughter o... More

♛ Author's Note ♛
♧ [V1 || Chapter 00] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 01] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 02] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 03] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 04] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 05] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 06] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 07] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 08] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 09] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 10] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 11] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 12] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 13] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 14] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 15] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 16] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 17] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 18] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 19] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 20] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 21] ♧
Short Update
♧ [V1 || Chapter 22] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 23] ♧
♧ [V1 || Chapter 25] ♧
♧ [V2 || Chapter 26] ♧
♧ [V2 || Chapter 27] ♧
♧ [V2 || Chapter 28] ♧

♧ [V1 || Chapter 24] ♧

1.6K 92 7
By honeyandcreambutter

Seeing Elijah up close, I could understand why the author went into great lengths into describing his beautiful appearance. His red eyes reminded me of a teardrop on a rose petal and his cascading hair was like a river of silver flowing from the sky. If Malakai is known for his devilishly handsome good looks, Elijah would be considered his opposite - a delicate beauty that could charm both men and women alike. 

But I knew better...

Under that weak exterior was a cunning, slithering snake, and I will not be fooled like the rest.

"My lady? If you continue to stare at me that hard, I will be very embarrassed," Elijah chuckled softly.

Ahh. Even his laugh sounds like little bells. What is this-? A celestial fairy? No wait! Don't get pulled in!

I coughed, snapping myself out of my trance. Readying my feet, I bowed my head politely.

"Good evening, sir. I hope you are enjoying your time tonight."

Wait- That reminds me. Why IS Elijah here? 

I did send his house an invitation, but that was only at the insistence of father. Even so, I was confident Elijah wouldn't attend. The Elijah from the novel wouldn't do anything without an ulterior purpose. Even before I came to the plot twist, Elijah always stayed away from any social functions that didn't serve a purpose for him. If it wasn't for Malakai who forced him to attend, no one would even know of his existence!

I raised my head and glance at his face. I was nervous about why Elijah would come to a noble daughter's birthday function. If this was after the selection ceremony then, perhaps he might have been curious about me. 

But, this is before we were supposed to meet!

Elijah gave a slight pause, as if he was pondering about something before opening his mouth.

"It seems the potion worked a little too well, huh?"

Potion?

"P-pardon?"

Elijah waved his hands, dismissing the comment he made before giving me a small smile.

"Well, I guess this will be my secret to keep."

My eyebrows scrunched up instinctively. Elijah had always been mysterious but, I never pegged him as someone who was this cryptid. Why on earth is he going on about potions and secrets?

"Allow me to introduce myself, my lady. My name is Elijah Soleil from the House of Soleil," Elijah bowed.

Yes, I know who you are, Mr. Traitor. 

My mouth drew a thin line but, I had to keep a straight face. I couldn't risk allowing Elijah to become too intrigued with me. If I wanted to collect evidence against him and his future plans, I need to keep a low profile and stay out of his view.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Solei-"

"Elijah"

"W-what?"

"Please, just call me Elijah. Mr. Soleil is much too formal and I am ranked far beneath my lady," his smiled as his eyes turned to a crescent moon shape.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Soleil. Despite being a duke's daughter, I am much more comfortable with calling you with formalities. Regardless, you are still a noble," I smiled graciously.

"But, my lady-"

"I insist, MR. SOLEIL"

Oho! You're not going to weasel your way into letting down my guard. I know this is your strategy into charming everyone by pretending to want to get close to them. 

I knew Elijah didn't have much of a social standing in the noble world since his family comes from a ruined house. But instead of being hindered by it, as most fallen noble houses would, Elijah uses this to his advantage to garner sympathy.

Elijah's face froze, as if he couldn't believe that I would reject his attempt. The air stood still as we continued our silent stare-off. I bet he was waiting for me to take it back but, I refuse to give in. I'm determined to keep a distance from him.

"Well then, I respect your decision if that is what you wish. I was hoping to get to know you a little more," he sighed in disappointment, his hand rubbing the back of his head.

Despite putting my foot down and having a brave front, truthfully I was a bit shaken up inside. It is unprecedented that he would take an interest in me this early, especially since we don't know each other nor have we ever met. Even in the novel, Elijah wouldn't look at Evangeline's way unless it was for polite conversation or for strategy meetings. She neither benefited him or got in his way thus, he had no reason to include her in his nefarious plans. The only time he really paid attention to her was at the climax scene where he tried to kill her as she was running away. But even so, he was doing it to distract Malakai.

Damnit! I was hoping to use his disinterest to my advantage but, this Elijah in front of me... What on earth have I done to pique his curiosity? I have to get out of here right now.

"If you'll excuse me, Mr. Soleil. I have been gone for quite a while now and I'm sure my parents and my guests are wondering where I am. Please enjoy your evening."

As I turned around to quickly make my leave, suddenly a dark shadow loomed behind me. A right hand appeared next to my head. I could feel the slight warmth of another person's body radiating from behind me.

Wait hold up! What is this position?! A kabedon?

"My lady, I suggest asking one of your servants to gather some indigo moon flowers the next few days. It will be of used to you soon," he whispered to my ear. Goosebumps rose from my flesh as his warm breath hit my cold skin. My back was still facing him. 

"Excuse me? What do you me-" I spun around. 

But, he was already gone. Just as quickly as he made his appearance, Elijah Soleil disappeared into the night leaving no traces of him...

Except for a single indigo flower placed carefully at where he stood.

I narrowed my eyes at the flower. The color reminded me of Evangeline's eyes. Why did he ask me to collect some flowers? I don't like these cryptid messages without explanation. How am I supposed to trust someone like you?

"I'm not taking that. Who knows what potion or spell you placed on it"

I walked away from the balcony, leaving the beautiful flower behind to lie on the floor.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"That- that ungrateful brat! And master was so gracious to give her a flower too!" a female voice shook in anger. Her blue eyes glared viciously at the empty balcony in front of her. Her blond hair was tied into a bun and she was wearing a fully black outfit, her face hidden with a black veil.

"Careful, you'll fall," a quiet voice responded. This time it came from a male with brown hair and green eyes, who was also dressed in a similar fashion to the girl next to him. They were both seated on top of a tree branch. Hidden away by the tree leaves, their eyes were glued to the whole scene before them. 

"Stop treating me like a kid, Erin!" the female snapped. She gave an evil grin as she turned her attention back to the balcony.

"Should I kill her for our master? I'll be doing him a favor by getting rid of her."

"Marsha..." Erin sighed. It's always like this with her. Marsha idolizes their master and she wasn't afraid to silence anyone who gets in his way. Usually the master would allow Marsha to do as she pleases, as long as she knows how to cover her tracks that might lead it to him. 

But... it doesn't seem like the master was angry at the lady so would he really be okay if Marsha kills her? Erin was very attuned to his master's emotions. It was very difficult as his master was very good at concealing his true feelings but Erin did have years of practice.

"Don't touch her, Marsha," a stern but soft voice came floating above them. It was the master!

"But, Master! She was rude to yo-"

"I said no, Marsha. Do not mess with her"

"Master!"

"Marsha! Are you disobeying me right now?" 

All of a sudden, the air dropped in temperature. Elijah's aura started to leak out from him, causing everything to be still. Even the animals don't seem to making noise anymore. Both Marsha and Erin dropped to the ground and got on their hands and knees. The master's aura was suffocating them.

"We apologise, Master!" they both cried out.

Marsha gritted her teeth as she scrunched up her fist.

'Why? Usually master wouldn't care if I hurt someone who is rude to him. So, why her?'

"Don't talk back to me again. You're dismissed, Marsha. Erin, stay for a bit," Elijah waved his hand.

Behind his back, Marsha's eyes flickered in anger. 

"Yes, Master?" Erin saluted. Both him and Marsha owed their lives to their Master who took them in when they were sold off to slave traders. While Marsha was a little obsessive with their master, Erin's unwavering loyalty towards him was also not one to be scoffed at. They were both ready to give up their lives for their master's cause, no matter what it is.

"I want you to collect some indigo moon flowers. Make sure you collect at least two baskets' full," Elijah ordered.

Erin's eyes widened. Is... the master doing this for that lady? But, why? She clearly rejected his gift earlier and there's also no doubt that the master saw that as well.

However, Erin wasn't one to question his motives so he simply bowed and left to complete his task.

Elijah floated down to the tree branches where Marsha and Erin sat and looked towards the balcony. He leaned his body onto the tree as he smirked.

"My dear Lady Evangeline, you're going to regret not listening to my advice so consider this as as favor to you"

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Hello! YES I'm back! I'm sorry for the long wait. Again, work has been drowning in so I barely had time to write :( I'm hoping to at least finish up Season 1 (there's only a few chapters left I think?) within this month. Then, I can finally start my drafts for Season 2. Anyways, I'm sorry for the old readers who have to reread everything now that they forgot the plot :'D 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 47 15
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
581K 24.8K 30
Yukie Aisawa is a one-in-a-lifetime prodigy. Blessed with intelligence and looks. He was left by his parent at the age of 9, leaving him to go to an...
161K 6.4K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...
127K 4.7K 48
'Pointless' That is how the protagonist saw everything. It all started with an accident, but it is pointless to explain it here. His life ends, then...