Invisible String {2} TW

By poultergeist

In which Ayla Hale realizes her new pack is her family now. Book 2 of the Ayla Hale Trilogy Season 3 and 4 of... More

Invisible String
Part One
Ch. 1 Tattoo
Ch. 2 Chaos Rising
Ch. 3 Fireflies
Ch. 4 Unleash
Ch. 5 Frayed
Ch. 6 Motel California
Ch. 7 Currents
Ch. 8 Visionary
Ch. 9 The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Ch. 11 Alpha Pact
Ch. 12 Revelations: Lunar Eclipse
Part Two
Ch. 1 Anchors
Ch. 2 More Bad Than Good
Ch. 3 Galvanize
Ch. 4 Illuminated
Ch. 5 Silverfinger
Ch. 6 Riddled
Ch. 7 Letharia Vulpina
Ch. 8 Echo House
Ch. 9 The Fox and the Wolf
Ch. 10 De-Void
Ch. 11 Insatiable
Ch. 12 The Divine Move
TO AU Idea
Part Three
Ch. 1 The Dark Moon
Ch. 2 117
Ch. 3 Muted
Ch. 4 The Benefactor
Ch. 5 I.E.D.
Ch. 6 Orphaned
Ch. 7 Weaponized
Ch. 8 Time of Death
Ch. 9 Perishable
Ch. 10 Monstrous
Ch. 11 A Promise to the Dead
Ch. 12 Smoke and Mirrors
Book Three

Ch. 10 The Overlooked

333 15 3
By poultergeist

HOSPITAL
[3×10]

AFTER TALKING TO SCOTT, THE YOUNGEST HALE WENT RUNNING BACK TO THE LOFT. Him and Stiles met her there, and told her about what happened. Derek came to meet them as soon as Peter arrived at the hospital to watch Cora.

Ayla stayed out of sight with her two friends as they heard the loft door open. "Derek! Derek, where are you?" Ms. Blake yelled as she walked inside.

"Right here," the alpha called, walking over to her.

She sighed in relief. "Thank God," she said, and threw her arms around him in a hug. "Something happened at the recital. At the school. Okay, I need to tell you before you hear it, before you hear any of it from them."

"From who?" Derek asked.

"Scott, Stiles. They're gonna tell you things. Things you can't believe. You have to trust me, okay? You trust me," she told him.

"What is it?" Derek wondered.

"Promise you'll listen to me," she pleaded.

"I promise," Derek told her.

She kissed him, but there was a new look of worry on her face when she pulled away. "They're already here, aren't they?" she asked.

All three teenagers walked into the room and she turned to face them. "So, they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?" she wondered, turning back to Derek.

"We told him you're the one killing people," Scott corrected.

The woman smiled. "Oh, that's right. Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense," she snapped.

"Where's my dad?" Stiles asked. The woman had apparently taken the Sheriff, right after trying to murder Lydia. Stiles' eyes were filled with tears as a few ran down his cheeks. Ayla slipped her hand into his, hoping to be of some comfort to her friend.

"How should I know?" Jennifer wondered. She turned back to the alpha beside her. "Derek, tell me you don't believe this."

He looked back at the three teenagers. "Do you know what happened to Stiles' father?" he asked.

"No," she told him.

"So you have no idea why my best friend's throat is purple from you trying to strangle her to death?" Ayla wondered.

"Who? Lydia Martin? I don't know anything about that," Jennifer snapped.

"What do you know?" Derek questioned.

"I know that these boys, for whatever misguided reason, are filling you and your niece's heads with some absurd story. And one they can't prove, by the way," the woman said, glaring at Scott and Stiles.

"I wouldn't be too sure of that," Ayla told her.

The woman frowned and Scott held up a jar. "What is that?" she wondered.

"My boss told me it's a poison and a cure, which means you can use it and it can be used against you," Scott explained, opening the bottle as he moved towards her.

"Mistletoe?" Jennifer guessed.

Scott threw the contents of the jar at her and it swirled in the air around her as she changed. She changed into the same disfigured creature Ayla had seen her first night back in town. The dust settled and the woman returned to their English teacher. She immediately ran for the door, but Derek grabbed her by the throat with one hand and let his claws come out on the other.

"Derek, wait, wait!" she cried. "You need me."

"What are you?" Derek growled.

"The only person who can save your sister. Call Peter. Call him!" she told him.

|

The three teenagers waited while Derek spoke to the former alpha on the phone. He never released Jennifer as he did so, simply holding her by the throat with one hand and talking on the phone with the other. Peter confirmed that Cora had been poisoned by mistletoe and it was killing her.

Derek hung up on him as soon as he did so and tightened his grip on Jennifer's throat. The woman made several choked sounds as she struggled for air. "Derek, what are you doing?" Scott asked him.

"Her life- it's in my hands!" Jennifer warned. The alpha still lifted her off the ground and tightened his grip on her throat.

Stiles dropped Ayla's hand, moving forward. "Stop. Derek, stop!" he pleaded.

"Stilinski, you'll never find him," Jennifer told them.

"Derek!" Ayla spoke up, moving forward. "You can be pissed off, but whether any of us like it or not, you can't kill her. Not till Cora and the Sheriff are safe. Now let her go!"

Derek dropped the woman to the ground, stepping back as if it pained him to do so. "That's right. You need me. All of you," the woman told them.

|

The five of them arrived at the hospital and had to run through the pouring rain to get inside. A storm had came in, making lightning flash and thunder boom outside. They were making their way back to the elevator when Melissa came running over.

"Scott! Scott!" she called, gaining her son's attention. "What are you doing here? The hospital's evacuating."

"We're here for Cora," Scott explained.

"What, all of you?" Melissa asked, looking at the group. She frowned as her eyes landed on the Stilinski among them. "Why does Stiles have my bat?"

"Mom, just trust me on this. You need to get out of here. Right now," Scott told her.

"The building is supposed to be clear in thirty minutes. Okay? We've got two ambulances that are coming back. One's ten minutes out, the other's twenty. Cora needs to be on one of those. They'll be picking up in the basement garage," Melissa told him.

"Got it," Scott said, moving to walk away with the others.

Melissa watched him worriedly. "He'll be fine," Ayla promised her, sending the woman a smile. Melissa nodded and the teenage girl quickly jogged to catch up with the others.

They all made their way into the elevator, Derek dragging Jennifer with him. He hadn't let go of her arm since they got out of his car. "You don't have to keep me on a leash, Derek. I'm going to help," she told him. She then glanced around the elevator, noticing everyone's defensive stances.

Ayla didn't actually see the woman doing anything in the elevator, but her, Scott and Derek were all ready to attack if she did. And Stiles looked ready to swing at the woman with the baseball bat at any moment.

The elevator dinged and they all began to walk down the hall. The lights flickered, making it clear the storm was getting worse. They reached Cora's room, finding it empty. The only sign that she had been there was the puddle of black blood mixed with mistletoe on the ground. Drops of black blood lead out of the room and down the hall. "Derek," Scott said, drawing his attention. Everyone turned to where the droplets ended at a door. As they listened, they began to hear fighting past the door.

It suddenly burst open and Peter Hale slid down the hallway. He groaned as he looked up at the group. "We got a problem. Big problem," he said, looking down the hall. All of them followed his gaze, finding the twins. They had merged together, and now growled at the group.

Derek was the first to let himself transform and run down the hall to attack. But of course, he wasn't much against a gigantic alpha. Both Scott and Ayla charged down the hall to help him.

The twins threw Derek into a wall, before their attention shifted to Scott, given that he was the closest. He used the wall, to jump at them with claws out. They just dodged, but it had distracted them for a short moment. Ayla landed a kick to their stomach, not that it did much. The twins quickly threw her down the hall, before grabbing Scott by the throat. "Ethan, Aidan, stop. You don't know what you're doing," Scott told them.

"All we want is her," the alphas informed him. Ayla looked down the hall, just in time to see that Jennifer was already getting away in the elevator.

|

They managed to get away from the twins and lock themselves in a different hospital room. Peter carried Cora inside and laid her down, while Derek made sure everyone was inside and shut the doors.

"Where's the big guy?" Stiles wondered.

"He's close," Derek told him.

"What about Ms. Blake?" Stiles asked, turning to his two friends. Both just frowned and shook their heads. "What do you mean? What does that mean? Like she's gone? Scott, are you kidding me?" he questioned, his voice rising.

"Shh, be quiet," Derek hissed at him.

"Me be quiet? Me, huh? Are you telling me what to do now? When your psychotic, mass-murdering girlfriend- the second one you've dated, by the way- has got my dad somewhere, tied up, waiting to be ritually sacrificed?" Stiles wondered.

"Stiles. They're still out there," Scott reminded him.

"And- and they want her, right? Which means now we don't have her either, so my dad and Cora are both dead!" Stiles snapped.

"Not yet," Scott said. Stiles finally fell quiet. With him calmed down a bit, Scott moved over to Peter and Cora. "Is she really dying?"

"She's definitely not getting any better," Peter told him.

"There has to be something that we can do. We have to help her," Scott said.

Ayla moved towards them, but then the doors opened. Everyone turned to see Jennifer enter the room. "You can't. Only I can. I can save her, and I can tell you where Sheriff Stilinski is. But there is a pack of alphas in this hospital who want me dead. So I'll help you, but only when I'm out of here and safe. Only then," she told them.

She seemed to have forgotten that every alpha in the hospital wanted her dead. Hospital supplies scattered onto the floor as Derek shoved a table to the side. He moved towards Jennifer, but both Scott and Ayla grabbed him.

"Wait," they told him.

"She was trying to get out!" Derek said, pointing an accusing finger at the woman.

"I was trying to keep from getting killed. You can't blame me for that," she snapped.

"If you want to show you're one of the good guys, then heal her," Stiles told her.

"Not until I'm safe," Jennifer argued.

"I'd like to volunteer a different method of persuasion," Peter put in.

"For once, I'm with Peter," Ayla admitted.

"Welcome to the dark side. Let's torture her," Peter suggested.

"Works for me," Derek agreed.

Scott moved, ready to try to hold both Ayla and Derek back. Fortunately, the PA system came on and he didn't have to. "Um, can I have your attention?" All of them frowned as they recognized the voice as Melissa. "Mr. Deucalion- excuse me, just Deucalion- requests you bring the woman calling herself Jennifer Blake to the ER reception. Do this, and everyone else can leave. You have ten minutes," she announced.

"He's not gonna hurt her," Jennifer told them.

"Shut up," Derek ordered.

"He won't!" Jennifer snapped, before her gaze shifted to the two teenagers next to the alpha. "Scott, you know why. Tell them it's true."

Ayla frowned, turning to Scott. "What does she mean?" Derek wondered.

"Scott, we don't know what he'll do," Ayla reminded.

Jennifer looked at her, her mouth forming a cruel smile. "Of course you would already know. But you haven't told anyone," she realized.

Ayla glared at her, not looking at anyone other than the woman and Scott. "Ayla, what's going on?" Derek asked his niece. But she didn't respond. It was Scott's secret to tell, not hers.

"You're not the only one he wants in his pack," Jennifer informed the alpha. "Deucalion doesn't just want an alpha pack. He wants perfection. That means adding the rarest of alphas to his ranks."

"A true alpha," Peter realized.

"What's that?" Stiles asked.

"The kind that doesn't have to steal his power from another. One that can only rise by the force of his own will. Our little Scott," Peter explained.

Scott shook his head as he turned to Derek. "It doesn't matter. We still need to get her out of here," he told them.

"Scott, your mom," Stiles reminded.

"My mom said there's one more ambulance coming in twenty minutes. And I don't think we've been here that long, so if we can get down to the garage, get to the last ambulance, we can get out of here," Scott told them.

"The twins aren't gonna let us just walk out," Peter said.

"I'll distract them," Scott decided.

"You mean fight them," Derek corrected.

"Whatever I have to do," Scott said.

"And I'll help," Ayla agreed, willing to do whatever she needed to get Cora out of here.

Derek shook his head. He already had Cora laying in front of him dying, he wasn't risking Ayla joining her. "I'll help him, not you," he told her.

Ayla sent him a look, but there was no point in protesting. Jennifer would do it for her. "Um, sorry, but I'm not going anywhere without you, Derek," she told him.

"I'll do it. And Ayla will come with us," Peter decided, sending his nephew a look. He then turned to the youngest Hale, giving her a smile. "As long as she agrees not to use me as alpha bait, while she runs with Scott."

"Don't tempt me," Ayla warned.

Peter just smiled. "I would prefer to be out there with an advantage," he told them.

"An advantage like what? You mean like a weapon?" Stiles wondered.

Peter shrugged. "Something better than a baseball bat."

|

The werewolves and Stiles began searching the room for something that would help.

"Epinephrine?" Scott said, drawing the other's attention. He was holding up a needle.

Ayla smiled at the idea. "Adrenaline," she realized.

"That's only gonna make him stronger," Derek told them, clearly not catching what the teenagers were thinking.

Peter did however. "How strong?" he asked.

|

The former alpha injected himself with the epinephrine, and then him and the two betas went outside. The plan worked out just how they had thought. The twins stayed busy with the three betas, while Derek and Stiles got Cora and Jennifer out. Unfortunately, though, the shot eventually wore off.

The three were running down the hall when Peter stumbled and collapsed against the wall. "That shot didn't last very long," he muttered.

Ayla and Scott just sighed and helped the man to his feet. They all ran into a room to hide for a moment. "Those twins are really starting to piss me off," Peter told them.

"Tell me about it," Ayla muttered, grimacing as she peeled her shirt away from her bloody side. She couldn't remember when exactly that had happened. She assumed she had been hit by a claw at some point, meaning it would take a bit too heal.

"How the hell are we supposed to get past them?" Scott wondered.

"Personally, I think if we keep letting them beat the living crap out of us, they'll tire and give up," Peter told him.

"Before or after they actually manage to kill one of us?" Ayla asked.

Peter frowned, shrugging. She turned back to Scott, who was looking at the wall. She followed his gaze, finding the laundry chute in the wall. "That works too," she decided.

|

The former alpha dropped down first, followed by Scott. Just as Scott had gone, Ayla heard something outside the door and quickly followed. So quickly that she landed on top of him. Both groaned and Ayla pushed herself up. "Why does this position seem familiar?" Scott asked. Ayla rolled her eyes, remembering the time when Derek had been trying to teach him how to keep control. She had grabbed Scott in an effort to scare him- which she had- and ended up on top of the other werewolf. At least till Derek got annoyed by her flirting with the beta right in front of him.

"You love birds coming?" Peter asked.

Both glared at him and Ayla climbed out of the laundry basket.

|

The three of them made it to the ambulance, where Stiles was waiting with Cora. Derek had already texted Scott to tell him that he was currently trapped in the elevator with Jennifer.

Stiles opened the ambulance doors for them and helped them get Peter inside. The older werewolf was clearly crashing after the shot of epinephrine. "Where's Derek?" Stiles wondered.

"I have to go back for them and my mom," Scott told him.

"I'll go with you," Ayla told him, moving to get off the ambulance.

"No, stay with them," Scott told her.

"Scott," she said.

"Peter won't be any help and the alphas could come through here. Just stay with them," he told her.

Ayla sighed, knowing he had a point. "Fine," she agreed.

"Okay, but we've got two problems, Kali's got the keys to this thing, and I just saw the twins, like, thirty seconds ago," Stiles informed them. As if to prove his point, they heard something crash nearby.

"Stay here," Scott told them. Both Ayla and Stiles nodded and he shut the doors to the ambulance.

|

The Argents and Isaac had apparently arrived at the hospital. Isaac pulled Argent's car around to pick the four of them up. "Come on, come on!" he yelled.

"I got her, get the door," Peter told Stiles as he carried Cora over to the car.

Stiles moved to close the ambulance doors, but stopped as he saw something. "Stiles, we need to go," Ayla reminded.

"Ayla, the sacrifice," Stiles said, staring at a paper inside the ambulance. Ayla stepped up next to him. On a form, the signature line asked for a parent or guardian.

The she-wolf's heart suddenly sank. "She knew. She knew Deucalion wouldn't kill Melissa because she planned to do it herself," Ayla realized, jumping out of the ambulance. She took off running, and Stiles followed.

The two of them ran back into the hospital and down the halls. They spotted Scott by an elevator. "Scott! Scott, wait!" they both yelled as they saw him run off. They reached the elevator, to see Derek laying inside unconscious. Stiles stopped for a moment, realizing Jennifer had gotten away, just as she planned.

"We have to go!" Ayla reminded, chasing after Scott. Stiles followed.

|

The two of them eventually found Scott on the roof, where he was talking to Deucalion. "Scott?" Stiles called. "Scott, don't do this. Don't go with him."

"I don't know what else to do," Scott admitted.

"Then come with us and we'll figure something out, okay? There's got to be something else," Ayla told him.

"Yeah. Yeah, we always- we always have a plan B," Stiles told him, clearly unsure of that this time.

Scott turned to face them and shook his head. "Not this time," he told them. He started to move towards Deucalion, but Stiles called after him. He turned back around. "I'm gonna find your dad. I promise."

"Scott, please," Ayla pleaded. He met her gaze. "I will do whatever I can to help you both get your parents back, but please don't do this."

Scott looked at the ground for a moment, before he walked off with the alpha. "Scott!" Ayla yelled, but he kept walking.

Yeah, Ayla's gonna be a little pissed off about Scott going with the alphas.

Also, I feel like you guys tend to comment more on chapters that are more centered on Scott and Ayla's relationship. Which I do understand, because I also love them. But the last few chapters of this season aren't going to have much of them together- not to say we won't have a few scenes- so please don't let that prevent you guys from letting me know what you think. I always look forward to your comments.

Anyways, please vote and let me know what you guys think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 6.9K 41
A/U all the werewolves can turn into full wolves and also the half shift human/wolf form, Stiles is also an Alpha wolf in this story, Dereks family i...
224K 6.4K 35
In which there is an new threat in Beacon Hills and Veronica has to help her friends defeat it while also trying to control the uncontrollable anger...
255K 6.3K 24
In which Derek and Emilia are finally getting the family they've always wanted, but happiness never lasts long in Beacon Hills. Derek Hale - season 3...
445K 9.2K 70
𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬 when the McCall twins are thrown into the supernatural world? 𝘉𝘢𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴... {Based on MTV's Teen Wolf 'season 1'} ...