This One is Too

By pbwrites220

*This One is Too is a sequel to This One is For You. This One is For You should be read first in order to ful... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Epilouge

Chapter Fifteen

3.1K 95 10
By pbwrites220

Josie

I walk into the dinner party, hosted by Trey's parents in their vintage-style mansion. This house always made me feel like I was in the early nineteen hundreds and judging by how they treat women, perhaps my feeling wasn't misplaced.

I came alone, though now that I'm here a sick feeling in my gut makes me think I should've brought someone.

"Josaleigh." Trey saunters towards me with two glasses of champagne in his hand. "One for you."

I take it, knowing damn well I won't drink it. While I doubt he'd drug me in front of people like this, I can never be sure. I can't trust him.

"Good news." He goes on, placing a chilling hand on my back as we walk. "Since you're now eager to begin your duties at my side, I've got a nice surprise for you tonight. Figure we might as well keep things moving in the right direction."

I freeze, and he smirks at me.

"What is it, Trey?"

"Oh, you'll see."

"Tell me!" I whisper-yell as he goes to walk away, but if he hears me, he doesn't let it show.

I take a calming breath, but it does no good. Now all night I'll be wondering what the hell he's got planned.

I dump the champagne glass and place it on a waiter's tray, before finding a brand-new platter of them and getting myself two.

To the waitress, I act like I'm giving one to my friend. I think she sees through my bullshit, because she snickers as she walks off.

Whatever. I knock back the flute of liquid in one big gulp, then decide to sip on the second one like a civilized adult.

After a few minutes of socializing with the limited people I remember from my childhood, we're all asked to take our seats.

Of course, I'm seated at the table with Trey's family and my parents. It's the front and center one, whereas all the other round tables are scattered throughout the dining hall.

I take my place next to Trey, having to play the part. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to eat. Being near him and my mother ruins my appetite.

Trey's father makes a toast thanking everyone for coming and then he calls for Trey to take the stand.

Trey grabs the microphone from his father and looks to me with a wink.

My heart stops beating.

"This has been a long time coming." He starts, and I hold my breath. No. I didn't think this would happen so soon. "Josaleigh, would you stand?"

On shaky legs, I do as he asks, hoping my brave face fools everyone to the turmoil happening underneath the surface.

"Some of you may be aware, others not so much, that Josie and I have always loved each other." The twinkle in his eyes makes my stomach lurch. He doesn't love me anymore than I love him, but he's putting on a show. "And I'll save you all the big speech, but it's time."

No.

I watch in horror as Trey lowers down to one knee. The guests all intake a breath and seem to be holding it with me.

"Josaleigh, be my wife. Let me have you forever."

There's an undertone of cynicism and I note how he didn't ask. Because I don't have a choice. This isn't a yes or no question.

"I'd love nothing more." I grit out through my clenched-teeth smile.

The crowd claps as Trey comes up and wraps his arms around me. The urge to squirm away is there, but people are watching. If I'm going to find a way out down the line, I have to play this smart.

I have to act like I'm on board with this.

When his lips land on mine I stiffen, but reluctantly kiss back. It feels wrong and cold. Just like the oval cut, five carat or more, diamond ring does when he slides it onto my finger.

Dread weighs down my chest as the excitement calms and we return to our table.

"You're mine now, Josaleigh. Forever."

"I'm mine before I'm anyone one else's, Trey. Let's get that straight."

I belong to myself. This is my life. I write the story.

I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to get out of this now, but I'll do it. Somehow, some way.

Trey might be winning the battles, but he won't win the war.

I manage a few bites of the filet mignon but they go down harshly. I can't force myself to touch the dessert.

When everyone is directed into the ballroom, Trey and I walk hand in hand.

On the way, several people congratulate us and I have to put on my best smile and thank them.

Trey's grip on my hand has caused it to go numb and when we finally make it to the dance floor, I jerk free when no one is looking.

"Can I get a picture of the happy couple?"

Happy couple my ass.

"Absolutely."

The photographer directs Trey to place his hands on my waist and me to hold out my left hand, show casing the diamond. We take one with forced smiles and then he directs us to kiss.

Trey dips me down, planting a wet kiss on me while I'm still holding out my hand to the camera.

"Perfect." The photographer says. "Congrats, you two."

"That's going to be on local magazines and social media. Hope you're ready for the world to know about us."

The thought that Hudson might see it cuts through me, and my chest feels heavy.

"I'm ready, Trey. Are you?"

I hold eye contact for a moment before walking away.

I sneak off into the bathroom for a minute alone, but my mother comes in behind me.

What's with people following me into bathrooms?

"Well." She purses her lips and crosses her arms. "I have to say I'm impressed."

"What are you talking about?"

"Coming home. Pretending to be the perfect daughter. Getting engaged. You're really shaping up to be everything you never wanted to be before."

"I had a change of heart." I shrug, washing my hands.

"Josaleigh..." My mother comes to mg side, leaning down so I look into her eyes. "I don't buy your shit. Not for a second."

I take shallow breaths, but don't back down.

"Believe it." I take a paper towel and dry my hands. "If I'm expected to marry into this business, I intend to fulfill my duties." I toss the paper into the trash and head for the door, but I stop as I pull the handle. "You know, you are getting on up there in age. There's only so much your plastic surgeon can do to conceal that you're getting old, mother. And I would feel bad telling you that, but being old isn't your biggest fear, is it? Your biggest fear is knowing all the money and status you've wasted your entire, miserable life to achieve won't mean a damn thing when you're in the dirt."

I exit the bathroom before she can say more.

I need to leave this party. I'm tired of being social and putting on a façade.

I want my pajamas and my best friend and a good movie.

So, that's exactly where I go.

"I brought wine." I hold up the two bottles of Moscato. "Ask me the occasion."

"What's the occasion?" Livi eyes me skeptically.

"I'm engaged."

I place the bottles down and flash the ring.

"No. No."

"Yep."

"Yikes."

"Right?" I kick off my heels and then throw the diamond onto Livi's kitchen table. "You know, I thought if this day ever came it would be a happy occasion."

"Me too." Livi sighs, "How are you getting out of this one?"

"No clue." I twist off the wine cap, flick it across the room and drink straight from the bottle. "I think I've dug myself in too deep."

"You haven't. Don't worry."

But even Livi's usual optimism is dulled.

"Can we just watch movies until late and eat junk and get tipsy?"

"Anything you need."

Livi pops her own bottle open and we sink into the couch.

"The Best of Me?"

"I'll cry." I pause, looking at the Nicholas Spark's movie cover. "Yes. Let's watch it."

Maybe a cry is what I need. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

598K 37.1K 48
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐛𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 �...
1.3M 84.9K 67
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
228K 12.9K 34
The story continues to unfold, with secrets unraveling and new dangers lurking in the shadows. The Chauhan family must stay united and face the chall...
392K 23.1K 46
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ☆|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...