One Last Time: One More Time

By PeachesAndReam

Sequel of One Last Time Year 850. The second appearance of the Colossal Titan affected the lives of many. Aft... More

One More Time
To you 2,000 years from now
Love & Hate
Ceremony
Fantasy
Alone
Assault on Stohess
The Burning
Farewell
Family
Return
Acceptance
Diary
Bonfire
Heart to Heart
Dream
Proposal
Love
A Selfish Decision
Until We Meet Again
Epilogue
Letter to the Reader

Meeting

312 18 21
By PeachesAndReam

Elise

She didn't need anything else. Putting on some black pants and a white shirt; with silver scissors, she cut off her hair - short. The tips of her blond hair touched her ears, her neck felt cold, but she got used to the feeling quickly.

There was no time to lose. The meeting was about to start and Elise wanted to make a nice impression on her family and the rest of the royal families.

Everyone gathered today at the Dietrich mansion to discuss the next step to take to capture the 'rebels' or if they should start asking for the Military Police to get Erwin Smith. After all, almost everyone who got tortured spoke of the Commander of the Survey Corps.

It's not like she was invited, actually, no woman was invited, but her mother since it was part of the courtesy of every lord to pay her respects.

Her heart was beating fast, as she took a moment to look at the door in front of her. Chattering laughters and whispers of royals she knew very much. Some better than others, people that were strangers.

Opening it slowly, her hands felt warm against the cold marble of the table.

All eyes were on her the moment she entered the room. The meeting room was the same as she remembers. A table, big enough to fit a bit more than ten people, wide and large.

Shiny and fancy chairs, carved by the best artists in the Walls. A large purple mantle was placed on top of the marble table, her family's crest sewn into it.

The heads of the royal families were all present, of course, all males. Nine families in total, it used to be ten, but the Flaherty family had around the time Elise was born.

No one was pleased to see her, especially her parents who sat at the end of the table. Every male in the room questioned Elise's presence. The way she looked was not fit for the occasion, not only that but she wasn't invited.

"Get out right now!" Mr. Dietrich was offended by Elise's 'misbehavior.' Embarrassed that her daughter presented herself in such regard. He took a quick glance at his wife who for the most part tried to remain calm. His son, Cedric, who sat next to him, finally showed some emotion since the meeting started.

But what bothered him the most was the judging looks of his friends on her.

"If you don't know what's best for you-"

"No, you're going to stay and listen," Elise interrupted him, slamming her hands against the table. It hurt, but she wasn't going to let that feeling show to the rest.

"All my life I just wanted someone to love me. I wanted you, my mother, and my family to love me."

"And I did everything I could to become what you wanted - the perfect daughter," Elise couldn't help but wonder if her parents were actually listening to her or just deeply thinking about what the others might say.

"But after a single mistake, you decided I was not worth anything anymore.

And Elise was right, her father was just thinking of what to do. Call the guards to take her out? But what would the rest of his guests say? The rumors will quickly spread about how he threw his own daughter out of the house.

"And while at the Survey Corps, I tried to be the best, I became the best, everything so you both could accept me again," she didn't want to but her voice began to break. Like a child desperate, lost, looking for anything that indicated that there was some good in her parents.

"All I wanted was for you to love me, to accept me! I wanted my parents to love me, my parents who would lock me in closets, who starved me, who tortured me and humiliated me! Why? Why did you do all that?"

"We did so you could learn to not defy us again," Finally, her mother, Layla, was the one who spoke. The one who was listening.

"What were you thinking going behind our backs and sleeping around like some whore-"

"No, I loved him and he loved me," Elise raises her voice, not caring about the disgusted looks the rest of the wealthy men were giving her.

"You two were just angry at me because unlike you both I was happy with someone! Someone actually loved me! You just didn't understand the thought of loving and being loved back!"

"How dare you say that! We gave you everything!" This time Mr. Dietrich didn't care about the others in the room. Absolutely offended and feeling humiliated due to his daughter's behavior. No, this couldn't be his daughter anymore.

"Even a second chance that you did not deserve!"

"I am saying it because it's the truth! Because you just wanted me to become like you. A heartless monster!" she screams at her parents. Watching their faces twist in disgust gave her a certain satisfaction.

"But I've decided that I'm not going to become that."

"I don't care if my actions are not forgiven," her voice resonated in her room, creating a powerful yet soft echo.

"It's never been about that, but I'm still going to be held accountable and I'll try to amend my mistakes."

"Amend mistakes?" Elise's mother stood up from her chair gracefully. Locking eyes with her daughter. For a short moment, Layla saw in Elise how she used to be. Full of false hopes.

"How can you do that when you are beyond repair?"

At the question, certain faces appeared in her mind. Her first lover, Levi, and Sofia. All of them who loved her at some point, the ones who showed her that it wasn't a matter of being broken. Some people will always be there to pick up the broken pieces.

"First," Elise took a big sigh before taking her hands off the cold table.

"I am going to look for two people and beg for their forgiveness and then ... I am going to go back to the Survey Corps and help Erwin Smith to overthrow the royal government."

That was the final hit for Mr. Dietrich. Treason was something he would not tolerate. He didn't care about the rest of the royals, knowing that Elise had already tainted their name, there was no going back.

"Guards, get her!"

Some soldiers of the Military Police began to surround Elise and as she was about to unleash her knife on them, another person interrupted the scene.

"No," Elise's brother, Cedric, stood up from his chair. While looking directly at his father in the eyes, he kept a strong stance.

"Leave my sister alone."

"But son, she-"

"I said," Cedric interrupted his father, keeping eye contact with him at all times, "Leave her alone."

Elise never got to know her brother but she saw kindness in his eyes. She knew that at some point, she was also going to ask for his forgiveness. But for now, she rested assured that at least, she knew he would be willing to talk.

Cedric took a look back at his sister as the guards began to disperse.

"Take care," Elise smiles at him before running to the door and leaving the cold room. Ready to enjoy the freedom she didn't know she craved so much.

She knew this wasn't the end and although her story didn't have a happy start, that doesn't mean it couldn't have a happy ending.

She didn't know, but her brother smiles and whispers to himself words that he hoped Elise remembers forever.

.

.

.

His voice resonated inside her, feeling a shiver run down her spine by listening to the hate in Levi's voice. It didn't take a genius to realize that something was completely wrong. Where were the others? And who were these people flying around with equipment she had never seen before?

As much as Maria wanted to find out, she knew that right now, her mission was to protect Eren and Historia and that wagon.

Nonetheless, as she was about to warn Keiji, the brunette saw how a woman had shot his friend in the head. Taking complete ownership of the wagon.

Shit, everything was going to hell.

Coming out of the shadows, Maria activates her ODM gears, the metal claws attaching to the nearest building. Flying through, above the streets, as civilians watched with terror the shocking events unfolding in front of them.

The white cover of the wagon had come off, revealing a confused Historia and Eren.

To her side, Maria saw a woman. Maria was hesitant, not sure how to attack. But it took only one moment for Maria to know that she needed to kill her. This woman had shot darts to Eren and Historia, making them immediately fall unconscious in the wooden wagon.

This wasn't a game, no more hesitations.

Three more people behind her, civilians underneath her. Eren and Historia were unconscious and she was alone.

The claws of the ODM gear were no longer attached, letting herself fall in a free-fall as she watched her enemies' confused face look behind her. Directing the steel wire going up again, she attached the metal claws into the feet of two men. Making them go down and scream in pain as Maria once again was going up, her blades doing all the work as she cut them in half with the upgoing movement. Using the same propulsion, she used one blade to decapitate the head of this unknown woman who attacked Eren and Historia.

That was so easy ... killing ... and she hated how easy it was.

Blood covered her face immediately, she hated the smell but was very familiar with it.

She wasn't done yet, as two other men appeared in front of her.

"Shit, who are these guys?"

Instead of facing her, the two men went straight for the metal wires, disconnecting them from the buildings they were attached to. Maria immediately lost balance, her body immediately impacting against the hard ground. She bounced a little and although her arm must be injured now, she didn't stop. Getting one of her many blades from the emission system of her equipment, with great force, she threw one at the back of the man. Making him fall in pain to the ground as she did.

Maria ran towards the man on the floor. Her eyes meet his green ones for a small second. He was in pain and although she wanted to say sorry, she knew that it was better to not waste time. Using the sword in her right hand, she finished the job quickly. Stabbing his head right in the middle to finish his pain.

She wanted to throw up but contained the feeling. She can throw up later.

"Focus Maria ... Don't lose them."

The wagon was getting further away from her and desperation began to hit her. What if she can't reach Eren and Historia? Maria immediately shakes her head, she can't think like that right now.

The half of her body was still pulsating, as it still remembers the clash of the ground. Trying to not think too much about the pain, the brunette activated her ODM gear again and soon enough she was in the air again.

This time dodging bullets of her enemy in front of her as others had also joined to back up his friend. Shooting from behind, Maria tried her best to stay in motion while steering off the bullets coming from all directions.

How many people would she have to kill to just to be able to get back to the wagon?

This was becoming more complicated. Where was Levi? As far as she knows, he and the rest of his squad should also be looking after the wagon.

"Ms. Maria!"

Maria heard Armin's voice from behind her. She turned around quickly and saw the new Levi's squad along with Lena following from behind. Still no sign of their Captain.

"Lena, take charge! Go after the wagon and I'll give you all the backup!" Maria ordered and no one complained, following Maria's orders without hesitation.

Maria knew that if she wanted to save Eren and Historia and everyone else to be left uninjured, she needed to make quick decisions.

The people shooting at her were definitely a problem and the most annoying ones, she needed to get rid of them first. She had five blades left in her emission system.

Moving her whole body, she faced her enemies. Five people, two with guns and the others thinking of how to take her down. She didn't hesitate, she quickly unattached her blades from her operating advice. Sending them rotating through the air, making her way to the enemy's face.

However, someone had taken this opportunity to launch onto Maria. Making her lose balance and land on the rooftop of an unknown building. Her body hurt but that didn't stop her from standing up, another mysterious woman landed in front of her. Kicking her on the stomach, the impact made Maria move a few centimeters. Taking the moment to breathe, Maria realized that it was painful to do so. She watched as the young woman took slow steps near her, hearing the small clicking sounds of her boots against the roof tiles. Maria cleaned a little of the blood out of her face, her white shirt tainted with red.

"You ... Who the fuck are you?" The woman with short hair asks, looking down at Maria as she takes out a very sharp dagger. "How dare you kill my comrades?"

The question was hypocritical to Maria because not too long ago, she saw how Keiji was shot in the head.

The brunette was on her knees, taking deep breaths to get back some strength. She had probably injured some part of her body, but everything was pulsating so she couldn't tell what exactly was yet.

The woman launched onto her, her dagger wanting to go straight to Maria's face. However, the brunette held the woman's hands with her. Trying to push the dagger as far away from her face as possible.

This woman was strong, trained. The Military Police had done their job right.

Maria felt the height of the woman completely land on her, this was a mistake.

Picking up her knee, Maria kicks the woman in the gut, creating instant pain. She took the chance to flip the woman and wrap her arms around her neck.

Maria began to feel instant regret as she felt her moving uncontrollably, gasping for air and trying to fight. But it only took one quick movement, Maria's arms moving in different directions around her head. Making the woman's neck break immediately.

She pushed her body away, trying again to keep away from the necessity to throw up.

Another figure shows up.

And just about she was to stand up and fight, she realized that it wasn't needed.

It was Levi who had the most painful expression on his face.

"Don't look at me like that," Maria says, seeing that he also had his own share of fighting. Blood dripped from his face. "You taught me this for a reason."

"Yes and I don't regret it," he extends his right hand, wanting to help Maria to stand up. "You've become strong ... Well, you always have been."

Maria only smiled and held his hand.

Although it was a nice enjoyable moment, they didn't have time to waste.

Activating their ODM gear, they both flew through the buildings of Trost District. Watching men, women, and kids looking at them with questioning faces.

Their target was close, everyone knew what to do already. Armin and Jean were already very close to the wagon while the others tried to give cover as much as they could.

Maria and Levi gave each other a small look as they saw more enemies approaching.

They were very close to them but before they could make any contact, Maria and Levi directed their gear at the same time to the buildings next to them. Confusing the enemy as they both began to run on the walls and as they exchanged positions, jumping one building to the other, using their blades to decapitate the men who were after them.

Maria had small flashbacks of her training days with Levi, she hated the situation but she also was thankful for being able to help.

They were close to Connie and Sasha now who were confused at the moment. Of course, these kids would have never expected to kill humans. They weren't thinking clearly and Maria couldn't blame them for that.

Once again, she heard shots being directed at him. Most of them were towards Levi, who was the most skilled. They must know that he was the Captain and if the team were to lose him, it was game over.

She didn't have many blades left but using one of her right hands, Maria threw it at the woman trying to harm Levi, killing her in the act.

"Maria, back me up!" Levi ordered, and the brunette immediately placed herself behind Levi. "Connie, Sasha! Assist Maria!"

"Yes, sir!" the two screamed in unison.

"Lena, back up Mikasa!"

"Yes, sir!"

Jean and Armin were finally on top of the wagon, also fighting to stay alive and save Eren and Historia. Using her peripheral vision, Maria noticed how a woman was about to shoot Jean, and as much as she wanted to help, she couldn't. Knowing that if she were to move, the whole formation would be lost.

And then, a shot was heard.

.

.

.

While Armin was outside throwing up, Mikasa was helping him to calm down, Maria wished she could do the same. However, she kept a strong facade.

Is this what Levi must do all the time? Hiding how he truly feels?

Taking a big sigh, she went inside the small warehouse where everyone was currently residing and planning their next move. Tragically, Eren and Historia were taken away from them and the number one priority right now was to get them back.

At the moment, Lena was taking care of Levi's wound, making a few stitches on his arm, Maria took this as an opportunity to talk to the two. Knowing that Jean was watching over their 'prisoner' the owner of Reeves' company, Dimo Reeves.

Connie and Sasha were guarding the area, whilst Mikasa and Armin were still outside.

"Well, I think it's decided," Maria takes a seat in front of the two. A small candle lamp on the floor, separating them. "We can't afford to lose sight of more people ... I am going after Erwin in case things get worse, at least we'll have him."

Maria and Levi stared in each other's eyes. Not breaking eye contact and even Lena wondered who was going to retreat first.

Of course, it was Levi.

He looks away as he sighs, his eyes focusing on the bonfire instead.

"Yeah ... I think you're right," Levi says. "But I must admit that I'm quite worried that you're going to go alone."

"You don't think I am capable of doing this alone?"

"No, I know you can but ..." Levi hesitated, he didn't know if he should continue speaking or just shut up so he wouldn't end up offending her.

Maria looks at him with sad eyes, already knowing what was going through his head.

"Hey, Lena," Maria looks at the woman, next to Levi. Her face was surprised as Maria talked to her with tenderness. "Want to come with me and save the Commander?"

Lena's confused face soon turned into a soft one, smiling as she nodded at the brunette.

"Of course, if Captain Levi allows it."

"My pleasure," Levi says, his heart calming down a little. At least Maria doesn't have to go alone now.

"Very well, we'll rest now and then head to the Commander first thing in the morning," Maria says. "Anyways, you don't need us. You have your squad here, you and Mikasa are the strongest and most fitted to go after Eren and Historia."

"As long as the Ackerman girl doesn't take actions on her own, we should be fine."

Letting out a relieved sigh, the brunette smiles. She stands up again, feeling her leg pulsate a little as she was injured. Nonetheless, Maria knew she would be fine with a little bit of rest.

"I am going to get something for you all to eat," she says, slowly walking away from the couple. "I'll take Mikasa with me."

"Be careful."

Taking a quick look back, Maria noticed Levi was shirtless. Well, it's not like she didn't notice before it was more that she wasn't paying attention. As always, he had a nice firm body. Not bulky nor too skinny, his body was perfect and even the small scars he had in his arms were attractive to her. How long has it been since she last saw him like that? But before she could appreciate it any longer, she realized she was staring.

"I will," she turned around, for the first time in a very long time, she felt something pitching in her heart.

Maybe she was just a little jealous that Lena was touching Levi's body.

Maybe.

.

.

.

It was a quiet night in the warehouse. Questioning Dimo Reeves had gone better than expected and Levi had already come up with a plan to capture two Military Police soldiers to interrogate them. He will have to meet with Hange first, but he will figure that out tomorrow morning.

Now that that was out of the way, everyone had gathered around the small candle lantern lamp. Waiting for the first person who would dare speak about today's event.

Armin was the one who was most affected by the situation. Deciding to kill someone was not an easy decision. Not only is taking that decision as easy as he did, it can be mentally disturbing for some people.

"I pulled the trigger so easily, the reason why I shot her first was because she hesitated," Armin's voice trembled as he looked down. "And I didn't, she must have been a nicer person than I will ever be."

"Armin, thanks to your decision, one of your comrades is still alive."

If there's one thing Levi won't permit is for his squad to feel guilty for taking decisions they thought were right. Although he didn't show it, his heart sank seeing how a sweet boy like Armin was in an overwhelming situation like this.

"Yes, there's blood on your hands now and you can never be the same person you were before."

For a moment, Maria felt like those words were not only for Armin but to her.

Armin kept quiet, there was still doubt in his eyes and Levi once again tried to reassure the boy.

"You shot her because your comrade was about to die," Levi says. "Armin. Everyone on our squad survived today because you got blood on your hands ... thank you."

His words seem to have a good impact on the boy as his eyes had only shown acceptance of his act. It was now Jean who questioned the actions of the Survey Corps.

Maria was paying attention to the conversation, but Jean's voice began to subside more and more as she was deep in thought. Everyone may have thought that by the way, Maria acted today, she used to kill people. However, it was quite the opposite. She didn't know why but she began to remember those days that she was in the underground.

It was just ... so much blood.

Maybe it was because she had taken off her jacket and her shirt had short sleeves. Maybe because she was looking at them and because the others were too. And although she didn't want to admit it, she also felt the eyes of others on her from time to time.

"Jean," Maria says his name as he was one to be staring the most after Lena. She turned to look at him, a soft smile on her face to reassure him.

"If you have a question you want to ask me ..."

And of course, it wasn't only him. Mikasa, Armin, Connie, Jean, and even Lena, who sat next to the Captain.

"No it's nothing it's just," the boy scratched the back of his head, embarrassed. He couldn't even hide it, it was apparent that he was red because he was caught staring and not because the warehouse was hot. All the contrary, it was starting to get cold.

"You also seemed to have no doubts killing other people so easily ... You never seemed to be that type of person to me ... And well, everyone just always wondered why there are so many scars on your body?"

"Oi brat, that's something she doesn't like to talk about-"

"No, Levi, it's alright," Maria immediately calmed him down, placing a hand on his shoulder. They shared a look, Levi quickly softened at her touch.

Maria looks at everyone, Mikasa and Armin who although didn't want to make her uncomfortable, were also curious. Connie was the same too and Lena was deeply wanting to know the story too.

"You see, five years ago, five people took me to the underground city and tortured me for an entire month ... They used a lot of things that marked my skin."

Before things could get awkward and before everyone began to ask more questions, Maria gave a small pat on Levi's shoulders.

"And then Captain Levi here came to rescue me ... And that led to a big fight and well ... long story short, I killed someone too."

"And thanks to that decision, I'm here right now," Levi says looking at Maria, a small smile on his face. "She saved me."

Everyone in the room notices the adoring look they were giving each other. Levi's usual terrifying eyes turn tender and sweet every time he looks at her. Maria's smile would just become more sincere whenever she was near him.

"Today, you both seemed to be in sync," Lena interrupts the moment, hoping to one day be seen like that from the eyes of Levi. "I can see you both trust each other a lot."

"Well, yes, Captain Levi trained me for five years," Maria says. "He was a really strict teacher."

"You two were also in a relationship weren't you?"

Connie's question made the two feel embarrassed. Both were already aware that the kids knew about his past together although they weren't really open about it. Levi talked about it the most, especially that time when he showed them a small sketchbook with drawings of them together.

"Well, that helps build trust doesn't it?" Connie tried to make up for asking such a personal thing by trying to justify it. However, he has to admit that it was a bit comical to find the two of his superiors acting all shy like two preadolescents in love.

"Yes, Maria and I were together," this time Levi speaks up, trying to hide his evident embarrassment. " A very long time ago."

It even hurt him a little to say it, fuck it still hurts the fact that they broke up. But looking back at it, maybe it was for the best. At least Levi now had Maria like this. Right next to him, by his side ... and for now, that was enough.

"And I'm guessing since then he has been an unbearable pip-squeak."

Immediately everyone became quiet and they looked at Mikasa who didn't realize for a second that everyone's eyes were on her.

"Oh, did I say that out loud?"

.

.

.

When it was finally her time to go guard outside, Maria took a little of that time to check on her injuries. At least wash them off.

She began to wonder when the next time she could take a bath would be. If only they were in the forest, on a nearby river, she would have been able to wash her body.

It was rather a cold night in the District of Trost. The wind was nice to enjoy and there was a certain mysterious aura that surrounded the whole scenery in front of her. The canal wasn't her favorite place but the sound of water passing by calmed her and she enjoyed it.

Compared to what Lance could do, the bandage wrapped around her thigh was poorly done. It wasn't horrible but of course, it couldn't compare to what an expert could do.

"Shouldn't you let your boyfriend take a look at that?"

His voice was beautiful as ever and the moment Maria turned to look at him she swore she could feel her mouth water. She couldn't see him completely but his grey long sleeve shirt was translucent enough to let her see his silhouette. He was beautiful and Maria didn't know if she saw him that way, because her love blinded her.

Looking at his sculpted face, she began to wonder again. What was the thing that Levi saw in her that attracted him so much? Maybe it was something only he knows.

"It's a small cut, it will only leave a small scar ... another one to add to the collection I guess," Maria jokes a little as she turns around to look back at the canal. "Also ... Lance is not my boyfriend."

"But he will be... eventually."

"Well, good thing you have no say on that."

She sees him sit next to her. Suddenly, it wasn't as cold anymore. Levi may not be the tallest person but he is definitely warm.

It's definitely been awkward between the two. Not a word had been spoken since the day they kissed and Maria was thankful for that. Mostly because her head wasn't in the right place at the moment. Things have changed radically and talking about personal things when they were chased by the government didn't seem like the right thing to do.

"Keiji, Abel ... Nifa," Maria's heart felt heavy for a moment as she said their names. "At least their deaths weren't painful."

"I wish I could have done more," Maria says again, knowing that she just had stayed in shock while she saw Keiji get shot in the head.

"Me too."

Maria wanted to ask more, especially because to her it was strange that a soldier had died when Levi was there next to them. It may be an insensible question and she preferred not to ask.

"They caught me off guard," Levi says as if he could read her mind. His eyes locked into the water of the canal, moving and creating a tranquil sound. The moonlight reflects against the first layer of the water.

"It won't happen again."

"It wasn't your fault," she says. "It wasn't anyone's fault."

Levi wanted to tell her about confronting Kenny. But he didn't want to worry her. Not only that, he had to figure out some things first about Kenny before he was ready to talk.

"Levi, whatever it is ... It's alright," Maria touches his shoulder again, and how much he wished that she could hold his hand instead. "You know I am good at waiting."

He smiles a little, she always knew what to say at the right moment.

"Oh, by the way, if anyone gets hurt, please don't hesitate to go to Lance's hospital ... I know he will take you in," Maria looks at him again, her hand letting go of his shoulder and he immediately misses the touch.

"So please don't be stubborn."

"Only for now and because you are telling me not to, afterward, I'll still be the same."

"I wouldn't want it any other way."

They didn't have to speak, no words were needed. Their hearts were in the same rhythm. A beautiful and sad night, nonetheless ... they didn't feel alone.

What a strange feeling.

But it wasn't all that bad.

"Shouldn't you be asleep? Well, at least try to?" Maria asks, smiling again at him, breaking the silence. "My time's not over to keep guard, you should go inside."

"I'm fine, here ... I don't think I could rest even if I wanted to."

"What? You're worried about tomorrow?" Maria knew that Levi must be worried about the whole situation. He didn't show much but she knew.

"Don't you think I can save Erwin?"

"No, I do," he says. "I trust you can do this mission flawlessly."

"Then what is it? Oh, I know!" the brunette decides to tease him to alleviate his worries. "You are worried about Erwin aren't you? Don't worry, I'll bring your man back to you safe and sound!"

"Tsk, it's not about Erwin!" He raises his voice. Of course, he had long accepted Maria's thoughts about Erwin and him. But what he couldn't stand was how low she perceived herself.

"Why can't you believe that I have genuine feelings for you? I worry about you! Do I really come off so emotionless to you?"

"Levi-"

He stands up, still close to Maria but even closer to the cliff of the canal.

"I know I've never said it before, yes I deeply care about Erwin and yes I may feel ..."

He stops himself, shaking his head. This wasn't the topic right now, they had talked about this before. This was about him and Maria. Without knowing he got closer and closer to the edge of the cliff.

"That doesn't matter, what matters is what I choose ... Can't you really see it?"

He didn't let her talk, his emotions getting the best of him.

"Can't you see how much I lo-"

But he never finished his sentence. Slipping and falling into the deepness of the canal.

"Levi!"

Maria didn't hesitate, jumping right after him. The water was cold but she didn't care. She tried her best to find him but she became more desperate as the brunette couldn't find him. Her heart was racing, terrified, knowing well that Levi wasn't the best swimmer.

The river was strong and it was tiring her quickly.

Thankfully, after a few minutes ... She found him.

On the fucking shore, coming out of the water like nothing had happened.

She quickly swam to him, using her last breaths of air to come out of the water. Completely wet, she stomps her way towards him. Anger rose as she felt discomfort for her clothes being ruined.

"What the fuck was that?" She asks him, her voice immediately breaking as she sees him unharmed.

"Ah? I fell," Levi says, estranged that Maria had cursed. She usually doesn't do that. "I didn't know you were going to follow."

"Well don't do that ever again!" she turns around, her back facing him. Trembling a little due to the cold and because she wanted to contain the tears. "You're so inconsiderate!"

"What's wrong with you? I didn't do anything wrong-"

He immediately stops. Watching her shoulders shake a little. Small sniff coming from her. Levi walks slowly, almost afraid to confront her. He was just as uncomfortable with his wet clothes but at the moment he couldn't feel any of that.

Placing a hand on her shoulder, she slowly turns around. Maria tried to contain the tears, red. Not because of the water in her eyes but because even if it only was a few minutes, she was horrified. That feeling he had felt so many times before ... she was feeling it right now.

"You ... were ... scared of losing me?"

"I've always been."

How long has it been?

How long has it been since he has seen Maria being so vulnerable?

Levi took a moment to appreciate her face. Her sincere caramel eyes. The way her mouth would twitch as she didn't want any whimpers to come out. The terrified look on her face wasn't something he wanted to see.

But it also warmed his heart, knowing that he was important to her. To be so important to someone that the simple thought of losing him would be devastating to them.

Nonetheless, he didn't like to see that face. He didn't want her to be sad because of him. Levi wanted to be with her, always ... So she never would have to shed a tear because of him.

And looking at her face ... the sincerity. The honesty of her feelings. The moonlight made her look even more beautiful. His heart heals just by being with her. People say that love can't cure all and to an extent, he believed it was true.

But what a moment it was ... that he didn't care about lies but to him, they were all true.

"Fuck," he thought as he began to caress Maria's right cheek. A treasure to him.

" ... I am so in love ... So fucking in love."

.

.

.

Of all the things Levi could have given her, he preferred to give Maria a dagger.

It wasn't anything fancy and Maria appreciated it. Although she would just have preferred a hug. But of course, knowing Levi, he wasn't one to show affection in front of people. Especially his new squad.

Now they were in the forest. Lena and Maria had walked for hours mostly in silence. Their plan was simple: to go to the Capital, sneak into the royal prison and take Erwin out of there is necessary.

It would have been easier if they had gone through town, but after recent events, it was better to just keep a low profile in public.

"Hey so ...," Maria tried to make some conversation since it was awfully quiet between the two. "How is Levi treating you? Is he a good boss?"

"Yes, he is fine ... We just talk a little but it's enough," Lena says, her perspective about Maria had changed a little since yesterday. Finally knowing a little more about the brunette. "He's a great guy."

"He really is," Maria says. "You like him, don't you?"

Maria smiles, with no resentment towards the assistant. After all, she even found it cute that Lena had a crush on Levi. Whether Lev had or had not reciprocated the feelings, was still a mystery, but Maria wouldn't mind if Levi finds love somewhere else.

"I do," Lena looks down. A bit embarrassed about talking about her feelings to her 'rival.' She liked the sound of grass impacting her boots, the crushing sound was satisfying to her. "My friends just say that it's a stupid crush and that my feelings for him are not real, but ... I just feel so happy being with him ... I think for me ... it's enough to be close to him."

"Nobody can't decide on your feelings," Maria smiles again, hoping to somehow bring some peace and validation to Lena's emotions.

"Only you know what's real or not."

They both smiled at each other, it was strange for them to be talking like this when they were on a mission after all. Maria hopes that after this, they could become good friends. Lena wasn't a bad person, after all, she only wanted the best for the Captain.

Oh, Levi if only he knew how much people loved him.

After a few more minutes of walking and the sun began to set down, Maria was already thinking of striving to town to get a few supplements for the rest of the trip. Before she could suggest the idea to Lena, she heard sounds coming from the distance.

Maria eyes Lena, signaling to keep quiet as she takes the dagger Levi gave her.

The sounds of steps became closer and closer and the thought of attacking first crossed Maria's mind. She didn't want to kill anyone, so maybe leaving them unconscious would be the best decision to make.

But her fighting stance suddenly became soft. Dropping the dagger to the ground. In disbelief, her heart began to beat faster and faster, as the figure began to get closer.

Maria's voice trembled, her face showing the total despair she felt five years ago.

"Elise?"

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.
.
.

A/N: As always, I want to thank the most beautiful beta readers in the world shortysbrat and There_Goes_Alexis for always being amazing and motivating me to write! Shortysbrat has a story called 'Mark of Fear" its a Levi x OC story that I think its amazing and anyone can like! Please go give it a read <3

Well, its here. Elise's is on the final stage of redemption. I think now its complicated, does she deserve forgiveness? I don't know, even now I am still unsure of how Maria will react and how her decisions will take on from now. I try to take things as realistic as possible while considering the character's personality and growth. I guess we will see.

Now as Maria killing people uff, it was hard. I always saw her as someone unable to do such things unless it was a life or death situation. I don't think Maria kills to save herself, rather to protect the people she cares about. Levi trained her for five years and at that moment I felt like if Maria was unable to kill, then to her it would be like disappointing Levi. Nonetheless, Levi sees things quiet the opposite. As when he saw her kill that soldier effortlessly, it was kinda like a moment of shock and sadness to him.  More blood in Maria's hands, she really can't be the same she was before.

Its not that she doesn't feel remorse by killing, its more that she doesn't want Levi or the other's to see her as 'weak.' She's one of the older scouts so she feels like she needs to be a person  that looks calm all the time, like Levi. So little by little Maria starts to understand him more.

However, we will see this aspect of her on the next chapter when she finally talks to Elise.

Now for Levi and Maria's relationship. I think its nice that Levi is finally starting to see Maria as she actually is and not the perfect version she has of her. He worries about her, but also respects her decisions and admires her.

Little by little ... falling in love with her true self.

Anyways, as always, thank you for reading One More Time! Remember that this is OUR story! Thank you again and see you next Sunday!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

385K 10.4K 94
L/n Y/n was found at the doorstep of the Yeager Household at the age of 7. Eren vowed to protect Y/n ever since he saw her that day, with their bond...
3.5K 168 16
Y/N Hime came as a new student at the 104th cadet corps. The strongest soldiers have made it to the Survey Corps, but one of them is the most heartle...
442K 12.8K 80
SEQUEL IS OUT Fourteen years ago, before the fall of Wall Maria, Levi Ackerman joined the Survey Corps. Possessing the strength equal to a single bri...
9.7K 355 50
Merciana Sheehan knew she was born from the Underground, but her entire childhood was a blur. After graduating from the Cadet Core and joining th...