Sitting Ducks

By RachelJessie

Everyone has a different view on life. For example, when you see someone dead, you never say they deserved it... More

Prologue: 671
Chapter One: 214
Chapter Two: 153
Chapter Three: 749
Chapter Four: 84
Chapter Five: 403
Chapter Six: 544
Chapter Seven: 380
Chapter Eight: 959
Chapter Nine: 104
Chapter Ten: 11
Chapter Eleven: 21
Chapter Twelve: 63
Chapter Thirteen: 946
Chapter Fifteen: 368
Chapter Sixteen: 637
Chapter Seventeen: 8
Chapter Eighteen: 550
Chapter Nineteen: 442
Chapter Twenty: 389
Chapter Twenty-One: 207
Chapter Twenty-Two: 648
Chapter Twenty-Three: 152
Chapter Twenty-Four: 204
Chapter Twenty-Five: 352
Epilogue: 199
Alternate Epilogue: 768

Chapter Fourteen: 0

128 6 2
By RachelJessie

"Then he said, 'Tyler's brother is looking for you.' What could he mean, who is this kid!" I shouted. Mark opened his computer and a program booted up.

"There's no Internet, just this simulated program. I was around Internet all day, but I was watched like a hawk. I'm telling you, I only was able to find two people with them breathing down my necks."

"I started some sort of earpiece weapon, well I just started it. It's a bomb, but works as a real earpiece until detonated. I barely began though, it was so annoying!" She groaned. I paced around the room. Something wasn't adding up here.

"Tyler thinks I know who his brother is, but I don't. In fact, apparently he wants to contact me. This isn't making any sense, what am I doing here! He needs you guys, I'm just a pain in the ass!" I shouted.

"How did you know that Oliver, or James was a snitch?" He asked me. I grinned sheepishly.

"I didn't. I saw the camera move though, a sure sign we were being watched. Throw in a quick trick question, and it was obvious." Maya popped her gum and frowned.

"You killed him didn't you." She sounded disappointed.

"Yeah, but one good thing came out of it. I'm on Tyler's good side, I'm finally getting into the game." Mark sighed.

"Don't get too far in Silver. Have you even given him a number yet?" I shook my head.

"Then he's not a target. You can't hesitate when you pull the trigger." What was he suggesting?

"Are you saying that I might actually start to care about that idiot!" I exclaimed.

"That idiot happens to be the head of one of the biggest corporations in the world! That idiot currently has you in his custody, and that idiot is standing behind me isn't he!" Mark shouted. Maya and I had froze, as the door had swung open. 

"I need you Mark, if you're not busy shouting your lungs out." Tyler said coolly and then smiled at me.

"How are you feeling Elise?" He asked. I forced out a smile for him. 

"Fine, thanks Ty." Him and Mark left the room. I searched for a bug, anything, and Maya did the same.

"I got rid of that camera a while ago. I don't think he heard us, but still, we have to be more careful." She suggested and I nodded.  She threw me something and I caught it. 

'It's a tracking chip, worn as a ring. Keep it on, and whatever you do don't take it off." I remembered the ring that Collin had given me, but I had lost it now. 

"I understand. Maya, can I ask you a question, a serious one?" She nodded. I took a deep breath. 

"Am I really a monster?" The words came out as a whisper. Maya looked sad, and took a while to answer. 

"Elise, you have taken many lives. You kill for a living, yes that is monstrous. But look at who else is in this business, look what you haven't become. Tyler is drunk on power, Collin is dead. Jared went on a rampage, and Hannah? Well I don't really know about her, but still. You're not supposed to be a killer, it's not you. That's Elise Silver, not you." Her words were true. 

"I deserve to die. I shouldn't be getting special treatment, I should be a lab rat like everyone else, I don't deserve to live anymore! Dead, that's what I should be. Kill me Maya, kill me right now! End my pathetic excuse of a life, once and for all. I don't want to live anymore." I begged her. She shook me by my shoulders.

"Listen to me Silver. Snap out of this weak state you're in, you are supposed to be the strongest of all of us. Assassins don't have feelings, don't care about one another. Be that deadly assasin you know you are, not some little schoolgirl crying because her best friend died." She snapped, and then went pale. I only had one best friend, and that was Jared. 

"Maya. What. Happened. To. Jared." I raised my voice. She shrunk back, in fear. I must of looked deadly at the moment. 

"N-Nothing Silver. It's just t-that, he's missing." I breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Why would you tell me he was dead Maya? Trying to rile me up, or something?" I asked her. 

"There are rumors that he's dead. Apparently he ran into some BrickStone operatives, and they shot him on accident. But it was just a rumor, and I heard it through some operatives here. They could be feeding me false information." They better be. The door opened and Mark walked through. 

"Dinner will be brought to you all in ten minutes. Tomorrow Maya, I want you to be awake at seven thirty to work. I'll wake you up Elise." Tyler shut the door. 

"He wanted to talk to me about the person I found today. Also he hit me for being disrespectful, a dictator if I ever saw one. If I ever get out of here, I will never complain about running again." Maya handed him an earpiece, same as mine. 

"If I get out of here, I'm going to Australia. Somewhere warm where I can relax for a while." Maya smiled at the thought.  Mark grinned. 

"I'd go to Canada. My older brother is there, along with my family. I haven't seen them in forever, and plus I miss Toronto." They both looked at me expectantly. 

"What? Is there something on my face or something?" They both shook their heads. 

"If you escaped, where would you go?" Mark asked me quietly. I paused and thought. 

"It's my dream to go to Belgium. But I would love to go back to Queens, visit the old hometown. Where are you from Maya?" I checked my watch,  it was almost seven. 

"Amos, In Quebec. It's really strange, you don't sound like you're from the city. In fact, you sound Spanish if anything." I shrugged, used to changing my voice. It came with the job description.  There was a knock on the door. 

"Who is it?" I called. "Dinner for Mr. Dayton, Miss Chadsey, and Miss Houston-Silver." I couldn't help but  giggle at my new name. I opened the door and a tough looking woman came in. She set down a tray of food that had three different dishes on it. 

"Thanks. What's your name?" Mark asked her. The woman frowned and abruptly left the room.

"I bet it was something really old fashioned. Like Gertrude or Henrietta." Maya declared. I looked at the dishes. Tomato soup, a subway sandwich and chips, and ravioli. I grabbed the pasta immediately. 

"How does he know our favorite foods?" Mark asked, grabbing the sandwich.

"Well he knows mine because we lived together. I'm guessing he just pulled up your files. You'd be surprised with what's on there, it's pretty embarrassing." My cheeks flamed when I thought of my own.

"Oh my god, you're blushing. What's on it Elise?" Mark laughed at me, and Maya chimed in. 

"It's very, very thorough, I can tell you that. Mine even says my old nicknames, what about you Elise?" I didn't want to answer that. 

"Itsaidwhenmyfirstkisswas." I blurted out very quickly. Mark caught it though, and burst out laughing. My cheeks flamed with embarrassment. 

"How old were you?" Maya asked, trying to suppress her giggles. I glared at her. 

"Ten." That made them laugh even harder. It wasn't even a real kiss!

"Tommy Smith, and it was like fourth grade! Come on, what embarrassing stuff is on your file Mark, Maya." I accused. Maya looked very embarrassed. 

"It said when I lost my..." She trailed off. I burst out laughing, she couldn't even finish. I pointed at Mark.

"Your turn Mister. What's the most embarrassing thing on your file?" He froze. He closed his eyes, and frowned. 

"When I was in high school, I was called Nerdy McFart Pants. For some reason, that had to make it onto my file." I looked at Maya. It was silent, until the both of us fell off the bed laughing. Mark cracked a grin and started to laugh with us. I was actually rolling on the floor laughing. 

"Nerdy McFart Pants." I gasped out. Tears were coming out of my eyes. It was so childish, but so funny to me. I didn't even notice the door open until Mark and Maya quieted. 

"Um, Hello Mr. Patel." Mark straightened up. I stood up quickly, and felt dizzy. 

"Elise, there is someone who wishes to speak with you." He said curtly. I nodded and walked over to him. As soon as he shut the door, he caged me in his arms. I didn't struggle at all, it was pointless. He growled and smacked my cheek. 

"Fight back Elise! You don't fight back, why not? I know you want to kill me, I've ruined your life! You don't love me, cut the act. I know you hate me, I see it all over your face. That kiss was forced." What was with the mood change. I paled as realisation dawned on me. I thought Maya got rid of the camera in my room. 

"Yes Silver, I've been watching you. Right now we are going to go see someone, then you're going to bed. You will not have any further contact with Miss Chadsey or Dayton." I pushed him away. 

"No! I thought you were making a team, people to protect you. Tyler, they are my only comfort here." I tried to plead with him. 

"I've only been here a few days, this is very abrupt. Ty, please don't." He frowned. A piece of hair fell in his eyes and I pushed it away.

"Please Ty, please." I begged. He looked like he was having an internal battle with himself. I lifted his chin up, and made him look into my eyes. We were frozen like that for a few seconds. 

"Elise, do you want to know who my brother is?" He asked and I nodded eagerly. 

"You're going to hate him and me, but my brother is-" He was cut off by a person running down the hallway. I swore and he looked relieved. 

"Connor, my man! I wasn't supposed to meet you for another five minutes!" Tyler looked happy again. 

"Yeah, but I figured I would come to you myself. And this must be the lovely Elise Silver, as you call yourself." Connor looked a bit like Mark, but not much. He was older than him anyways.

"Nice to meet you, Mr.?" I trailed off. He stuck out his hand and I shook it. 

"Connor is fine, I'm not that old! Ty here wouldn't stop talking about you, and I wanted to meet you. I must say, you are better looking than i thought you would be." Was that a compliment? 

"Thanks?  Why would you want to meet me anyways?" He grinned at me, and winked. 

"Ty said you were hot, I wanted a look for myself. Plus, I was in Paris anyways." So we were in Paris! Ha! I kind of guessed it, but still. It was nice to have some confirmation. 

"Hey Connor, I'll catch up with you later." Tyler said through gritted teeth. 

"Why? I just got here-" The look on Tyler's face shut him up immediately. He turned on his heel and left. 

"By the way Houston, Jared says hi!" He shouted, and I couldn't mask the confusion that was on my face. I turned to Tyler. 

"Explain." One word said it all. He shifted uncomfortably. 

"Jared is with my brother." That brought up my next question, and I didn't care if the answer would hurt me or not. 

"Who's your brother Tyler." I begged him to answer. I needed to know. Tyler opened his mouth, then closed it. 

"I can't tell you Elise, not anymore."

A.N. I'm watching P.S. I love you, while crying my eyes out. I love that movie so much!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

401K 10.4K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...
270K 10.8K 55
𝖸𝗈𝗎 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝖿𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗁 𝗈𝗎𝗍 𝗈𝖿 𝖼𝗈𝗅𝗅𝖾𝗀𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖺 𝗆𝖺𝗌𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗌 𝗂𝗇 𝖼𝗋𝗂𝗆𝗂𝗇𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗒. 𝖸𝗈𝗎 𝖺𝗉𝗉𝗅𝗒 𝖺𝗍 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗍𝗈𝗐𝗇�...
13.1K 240 49
Estella was presented as "Dead". After a dark past, she becomes Angelina Clark aka Trigger. Angelina was filled with hate and sought revenge for her...
23.3K 832 67
'Monsters are real, as much as we want to deny their existence, and sometimes, when you close your eyes and wait for them to go away, they're still t...