How to be Happy: Futility in...

By Authorswagger

Two weeks after a brutal fight, our ragtag group of protagonists battle against an insane Yakuza Family Patri... More

Chapter 1: Futile Beginnings
Chapter 2: A Confused Reflection
Chapter 3: The Changed Charmer
Chapter 4: An Unlikely Threat
Chapter 5: The Cruel Reality
Chapter 6: Familiarity
Chapter 7: Cautiously Cowardly
Chapter 8: Stand and Stand Again
Chapter 9: Two Opposing Houses
Chapter 11: Gracefully Panicked
Chapter 12: The Charmer's Change
Chapter 13: Lucked Out
Chapter 14: Minor Mistakes make Misery
Chapter 15: Hurting to Love, or Loving to Hurt?
Chapter 16: Town of Complex Simplicity
Chapter 17: An Old Friend
Chapter 18: Shocking!

Chapter 10: Impossible Luck

16 3 1
By Authorswagger

"Did he just move?!" Akira asked, as Shizuka shrugged.

Akira poked Rhed's finger, as it twitched again.

"Is there some doctor thing that allows him to do that, or is he awake?" Akira asks, as Shizuka heard something outside. Shizuka wrote, as Akira read.

"Did you hear that?"
"Hear wh-"

A bang could be heard outside, as screaming ensued. Akira peaked outside, as Toshiro reached under the desk and pulled out a shotgun, gunshots and bullets rang out.

Akira closed the door, as she paced back to Shizuka.

"Do you think we can move him? We have to leave!" Akira asked, as Shizuka shrugged and pointed at her notebook.

"THEY TOOK THE CAR!" Shizuka's notepad said, as Akira took out her phone.

"Just make sure they don't get inside, I'll call them. Rhed's luck will protect you, at least." Akira said, as Shizuka nodded and Akira dialed the others.

Meanwhile..

"You guys bought another car?!" Fruity shouted, as Okawa opened the trunk.
"We had the time and money! And besides, if we didn't, we wouldn't have caught this Family-Man at the dealership!" Yuki said, as Okawa dragged a man out, as the man cowered.
"So, what's his name?" Kamaye asked, as Fuben stepped forward.

"Daigo?"
"Fuben?! What're you doing here?" Daigo said, as Fuben scratched his head.

"They captured me, too! And if you don't help them, they'll kill the both of us! So tell them, what's up with Itami Yoshtaka?" Fuben said, as Daigo looked over.

"If I snitch to you, promise me you won't let me live." Daigo said, as Okawa questioned.

"Why would we do that?"

"Do you fully understand what Itami does to his men? What we come home to.. the reasons we joined.. it doesn't matter! We've signed up to die FOR our leader, not BY our leader! I didn't want this, but I don't have a choice! I don't want this.." Daigo said, as he began to tear up. 

"We'll guarantee your safety-"

"THAT ISN'T WORTH SHIT! Duty chains us to a fate we haven't chosen!"
"Is it that futile to choose?" Okawa asked, as Daigo looked over to the table beside them. 

Fuben noticed it, as Daigo slammed his head into the table corner, as Fuben tackled him to the ground. As Daigo struggled, the others stopped him from killing himself. Fruity picked him up and sat him upright, as Daigo cried from his broken nose.

"You can't kill yourself, we need ANSWERS." Kamaye said, as Daigo sobbed.

"Talk, or we'll keep you alive." 
"Fine.. Itami's leading a second raid on The Joy Shelter, he's going there to 'get revenge' for something that happened a while ago." Daigo said, as Kamaye freaked out.

"THAT'S WHERE KANASHI SAID THEY'D HOLD RHED!"
"Shit! Get everyone in the car, we're going to the Joy Shelter!" Okawa said, as Fuben tied Daigo to the wall behind him. They got into the van and began driving, as Fuben stopped them.

"I'm gonna get noticed there, I'll watch the house." Fuben said, as Okawa nodded and he jumped out of his car. 

Around that time..

Kokoru lays down in his bed, as Momoru sat on the couch, contemplating choices he had made previously. Kanashi converses with Noa, as the two set up where Kanashi is to sleep.  

Suddenly, the phone rings. 

Kokoru sits up, as Momoru stands and picks up the phone.

"Hello?"
"GET THE CAR AND COME DOWN TO THE JOY SHELTER, WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! SOME YAKUZA BOYS ARE HERE TO KILL RHED, HURRY UP!" Akira said, as Momoru nodded and hung up.

"Kanashi, get the car around! Noa, Kokoru, bring some weapons! We're going down the the Joy Shelter, we need to get Rhed out of there!"

Kanashi sprinted down to the car and opened the doors, as the four got into the Supra and drove off, speeding toward the Joy Shelter.

Back at the hospital..

"I already called them, now it's a matter of waiting!" Akira said, as Shizuka ducked under the table.

Toshiro opens the door and closes it, holding a shotgun and some pellets.

"WHAT HAPPENED?!" Akira asked, while Toshiro barricaded the door.
"IT'S THE YAMAGASHI, THEY'RE BACK FROM EARLIER!" Toshiro said, as the opened the window and began to return fire. 

"Oh God.. I'm low on bullets." Toshiro said, as he bent down.
"Pick up some guns outside, then!" Akira said.

"..Damn it. Hey, I've got a girl, her name is Mizuki. She's 16, and I adopted her a while back. I'm going to die here, so could you watch her for me?" Toshiro asked, while Shizuka crawled forward and wrote.

"Where do you keep her?"
"Not here, I keep her in Nozomu. Sutareta's too dangerous. She lives with her friends, one is named Yumi, while the other is named Fuan." Toshiro exclaimed, as Akira's eyes widened.

"Fuan is Okawa's ex."
"If you can't do it, tell someone else to do it for you. I just need you to keep her safe." Toshiro said, as Shizuka and Akira nodded yes.

"Thank you." 

Toshiro jumped out and picked up a revolver, as he shot two of the men. As he hid behind the pillar, he saw two men in front of him. He stopped hiding behind the pillar and side-kicked one to the ground, as he shot the other one in the arms. He turned back and slammed the gun's handle into the man's nose, as the man fell asleep.

Toshiro looked up, and saw Itami, cackling and laughing at the chaos. He had a bottle of alcohol and lit it on fire, as he threw the bottle at Toshiro.

"REMEMBER ME? HAHAHA, WE HAVE SUCH LITTLE TIME TOGETHER, BUT I'LL MAKE IT WORK!" Itami shouted, as Toshiro sprinted toward Itami. Itami told his men to keep shooting and burning the hospital, as Itami sprinted back at Toshiro.  Itami jumped on the desk and jumped back up, flipping over Toshiro, as Toshiro turned back around to face him.

"Hehe, was that cool? You taught me how to do a flip, remember?"
"No.. No way.."

Itami lunged forward and cut Toshiro's face, as Toshiro looked at the knife he carried. Toshiro saw it was a karambit, as Itami smirked and swiped it down, slicing Toshiro's chest. As he staggered, Itami began circling around him.

"Haha, you're still as fun as ever!" Itami shouted, while spinning his Karambit in his hands.

"You can't be.. you were Tdiot Itami?"
"So you DO remember me! You taught me everything I needed to know to survive, but you never helped me when I really needed it. Shame.. we could've avoided all of this!" Itami said, as he kicked Toshiro to the ground. 

"Stand up, you can't give up yet!"
"You're a real scumbag, killing all the injured people in this hospital just to get to me."

"Hah, you haven't checked any of the rooms yet, have you? I had my men evacuate everyone. Anyone that refused to leave stayed, only for this. Except for Akira and Shizuka, they're needed for something else. That doesn't concern you, you shouldn't even be breathing right now!" Itami said, as he picked up Toshiro. 

Toshiro almost punches Itami, as Itami slid back and punched Toshiro in the cheek, as Toshiro staggered. He looks at his hands, noticing his vision is blurred. 

Toshiro clenches his fists and right hook at Itami, as Itami weaves and punches Toshiro's sides. Itami finished it by poking Toshiro's chest with the knife. 

Toshiro, pissed off, runs toward Itami to tackle him.

Itami grinned an ear-to-ear smile, as he stepped forward and jammed the knife into Toshiro's stomach. Toshiro clenched his stomach, as Itami stepped back and cackled.

"NYEHEHEHE, NOW YOU GET TO WATCH EVERYTHING YOU'VE WORKED FOR BURN AROUND YOU, YOU IDIOT!" Itami shouted, as he chuckled and ran out the back.

Kokoru busts down the door to the main room, As Noa looks around. 

"IS TOSHIRO DEAD?!" Shizuka's notepad said, as Akira looked up.

"I CAN'T TELL, THE FIRE'S TOO BIG!" Akira shouted, as they heard a door open. 
"Crap, the door's barricaded. Shizuka, go out the window, I'll try and open the door. You check if that's the rest!" Akira shouted, as she tried moving the closet in the way of the door. 

Shizuka snuck out through the window, as she looked up and jumped out of the way of burning wood that hit the window. Shizuka ran, as Rhed's luck stopped fire from hitting her.

Akira's attempted to lift up the closet, but it was too heavy. 
She heard rubble collapse behind her, as she saw the corner of the room light ablaze. Rhed fell out of his bed, as Akira dragged him out of the way of the corner. The room began to fill up with smoke, as Akira breathed through her shirt. She stopped trying to lift it and tried stomping on it, as the closet began to break. 

As the closet broke just enough to open the door, she moved all the rubble out of the way and dragged Rhed out of the room. Kokoru saw the two from the main entrance, as Momoru and Kanashi ran toward the two. 

Noa looked down from the main entrance, and noticed Toshiro, with his stomach slit open.

"TOSHIRO! NOT YOU TOO!" Noa shouted, as she bent down to help him.

"M-My Mizuki.. please.."

Toshiro stopped breathing, as rubble came down from the roof.
"NOA!"

Kanashi sprinted and jumped in the way, as he tackled Noa, while Noa cried over her friend.

"WE HAVE TO GO!" Momoru shouted, as he picked up Rhed and ran out the front door into the car. Kanashi carried Noa and escorted Akira, as Kokoru looked over the body. 

Shizuka ran down the hall and bumped into someone, as she slipped out and picked up her notebook. She slammed it into the man's face, as he fell down.

"Oh! Fruity, you ok?"
"Hey, Shizuka?"

Kamaye stepped forward and hugged Shizuka, as Shizuka broke free and grabbed his hand.
"Come with me." The notebook said, as she dragged the group to the room.

As she opened the door, she saw nobody inside. But as the fire grew, it built up, and she exposed it. Kamaye picked her up and dragged her out, as the fire raged and just missed the two. Okawa and Yuki arrived, as Fruity puts out the flame on Kamaye's back.

As Fruity helped Kamaye out the back entrance, Yuki comforted Shizuka, as burning rubble kept falling. Okawa looked at the rubble, and peaked at the entrance. 

Okawa and Kokoru looked at each other, as the fire burned around them. 

The pool of blood hit Kokoru's foot, as he looked down at it. 

Okawa picked up a pistol and shot at Kokoru, as Kokoru ducked and ran out the entrance, as Okawa turned and ran to the back entrance.

Kokoru jumped in the car, and they all drove away from the Joy Shelter, as they all sighed.

"Ooh, who's cooking?"

"Kanashi, was that you?" Momoru asked, as Kanashi looked around.
"No..?"

"Man, I feel like I've been asleep forever! What happened?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135 20 11
***Gang version - no fantasy*** No one comes looking for a dead girl, as long as she stays dead. • • • Having finally escaped the vicious hands of...
868 25 8
An orphaned pair of brothers, (Y/N) and Kage gone orphan get picked up by the greatest threat to the world. They got molded into great fighters, but...
7 0 27
At the same time as Constantine's family is being rebuilt, the enemy's forces are also getting stronger. will they win or lose?
21.6K 893 61
Kiyoko Misaki has been a villain her entire life. Only 14 years old, she is a valued member of the League of Villains. Manipulative, cunning, cold, a...