Once Upon A Prostitute

Oleh penny4mythots

Everyone deserves to live a life they aren't trying to escape. *It gets better as you read on. This is my fir... Lebih Banyak

CHAPTER 1 - ESCAPE
CHAPTER 2 - ANOTHER WAY.
CHAPTER 3 - GETTING UP
CHAPTER 4 - PRAY FOR ME
CHAPTER 5 - GIRL IN THE MIRROR
CHAPTER 6 - WISH THAT I WAS YOURS
CHAPTER 7 - ASS PERFECT
CHAPTER 8 - PHOENIX
CHAPTER 9 - REJECTED
CHAPTER 10 - RUNS-GIRLS
CHAPTER 11 - THE OTHER WOMAN
CHAPTER 12 - A GOOD FEELING
CHAPTER 13 - SPACES
CHAPTER 14 - EXCITED
CHAPTER 15 - FREEDOM OR FEAR
CHAPTER 16 - WEIRD
CHAPTER 17 - LONELINESS
NOTICE!
CHAPTER 18 - DISMISSED
CHAPTER 19 - NOT THIS KIND OF LUCKY
CHAPTER 20 - LULLABY SNORES
CHAPTER 21 - PHOENIX. KITE.
CHAPTER 22 - WHENEVER YOU'RE READY
CHAPTER 23 - FISHERS AND HUNTERS
CHAPTER 24 - HE'S NOT MINE
CHAPTER 25 - DON'T JUDGE YOU
CHAPTER 26 - SLIM HOPE
CHAPTER 27 - A MESSAGE FROM HOME.
CHAPTER 28 - QUICKSAND
Notice - Copyright information!!
CHAPTER 29 - NOT BRAVE ENOUGH
CHAPTER 30 - A FREE MAN
CHAPTER 31 - WALLS CRUMBLING
CHAPTER 32 - BAND-AID
CHAPTER 33 - IT'S OKAY!
CHAPTER 34 - BIRTHDAY GIRL!
CHAPTER 35 - BIRTHDAY GIRL 2
CHAPTER 36 - ALONG CAME LAURA
CHAPTER 37 - OUR WOUNDS ARE DIFFERENT
CHAPTER 38 - SAY GOODBYE
CHAPTER 39 - IS THIS LOVE?
CHAPTER 40 - NOW THEY KNOW
CHAPTER 41 - SKELETON HUNTER
CHAPTER 42 - A TIME TO SPEAK
CHAPTER 43 - CATALYST
CHAPTER 44 - PICK A SIDE
CHAPTER 45 - MR CEO
CHAPTER 46 - SUPERSTAR
CHAPTER 48 - A BROKEN HEART
CHAPTER 49 - GRIEF!
CHAPTER 50 - BACK TO THE BEGINING
CHAPTER 51 - NO HOPE
CHAPTER 52 - DEAD END
CHAPTER 53 - TADAH..!
CHAPTER 54 - DESERVING
CHAPTER 55 - A CONQUEROR
EPILOGUE - PYRRHIC VICTORY
Author's note.

CHAPTER 47 - NOT THAT SIMPLE

409 63 1
Oleh penny4mythots

Mina's POV

Adam finally called and said plans were underway to bust the ring. He told me to be ready as it could be any day. My veins are pumping with adrenaline and a little bit of fear. But I'm ready.

I was born ready!

Okay, that is not true, but I'm ready now.

I just need to focus on other activities while I wait, so my nerves don't drive me crazy. Luke's been so helpful. He's been hyping me up and I'm soaking it all in like a sponge. If feeling like Katniss Everdeen is going to get me through this, then please hype on. But sadly, I feel like Prim.

The mayor's luncheon was set for this Thursday afternoon. On Tuesday, I went grocery shopping with Eve and I regretted it. I think she's worse than aunty Boma. We shuffled between three different stores at the mall comparing prices for items on the list. By the time we were done, my feet were aching, and my waist needed a massage. I don't know where this woman gets her energy. Now I know bargaining is a universal language.

Sam is now hired along with two other teenagers and even then, it's still a lot of work. Eve had to hire a vendor to handle the set up and decorations since it was an outdoor event, and we had no expertise in that area. By Thursday though, we were all ready and set up on the lawns at the mayor's mansion, yes a mansion. The place was so huge and beautiful. Who wouldn't want to live here?

"What's this luncheon even about?" I asked Matt who stood beside me looking uncomfortable. He kept adjusting his bowtie every two seconds. The guys had to wear bowtie and waistcoats on white shirt and black pants. The ladies just wore a simple black gown, nothing elaborate or fancy but presentable.

"Oh, it's just one of those events where he tries to spoil rich folks and make them like him. Elections are around the corner" He said and grabbed a champagne glass from a Sam who was walking by. They exchanged a knowing smirk.

The new staff were serving the drinks and they're doing great so far. First day of practice at the diner, about a dozen glasses broke. We had to switch to disposable cups until they perfected how to balance a tray.

"Are you supposed to?" I asked Matt eyeing the glass.

"I hate functions such as these" He said and downed the drink in one go. "Now I can pretend to be nice and friendly"

I grinned at him just as Eve came by. Matt hid the glass behind him in time.

"The guests are starting to arrive. Places, places." She said.

"You'd think this was a dance" Matt drawled, and I laughed. Eve shot us a look that said 'behave'.

The luncheon was very boring, speeches upon speeches and fake laughter, lots of fake laughter. But thankfully there was good music intermittently.

We just stayed in the corner where our table was set up under a canopy, completely invisible until it was time to serve. The guests sauntered to the table like they didn't care about the food making me roll my eyes. Did they know how many hours we spent to make this happen? And oh, they were extremely picky but we covered a wide range of dishes thankfully. I mean we began cooking by 6am. Just eat whatever you see on the table and let us be done and out of here. I'm sleeping for two days after this.

"Hi, can I have some grilled chicken and mixed green salad?"

I looked up to see a beautiful, petite, blonde woman wearing a royal blue dress in front of me.

"Jenner" I heard Eve say beside me. "It's been a while"

The two women smiled at each other in a calm, but not exactly friendly manner.

"Yes Evelyn, it's been a while. You don't go anywhere except your diner these days"

Eve gave a short laugh and shrugged. "Well, you know, money has to be made"

"Still putting the money over friends huh?" the blonde woman said.

Eve's smile fazed a little. "Well, some of us don't have the luxury of choosing?"

The woman pulled her gaze away from Eve and looked pointedly at me. I quickly put her food on a plate and handed it to her. She took it and walked away while Eve went over to serve a man in the slickest hair I've ever seen.

I turned to Matt "who was that woman?"

"Mrs Crenshaw" He replied. "Her and my mom were like high school bffs that fell out, so they tend to do this a lot"

Seems like everyone used to be someone's friend in this town, I thought. Wait! Mrs Crenshaw was here, that could also mean that Luke was here. I looked in the direction the woman had gone through, searching for her royal blue dress in the crowd.

It made sense for him to be here. This was an exclusive dinner for the town's elites. He was the new boss at Crenshaw. He would definitely be here.

I caught sight of royal blue dress just as she returned to a table. She took her seat beside a middle-aged man. That must be Luke's father. I could also see a younger girl and boy I presume to be his sister and brother. He had told me about them. And then there he was. From the distance I couldn't make out their faces, clearly, but I didn't need to. I had his imprinted in my memory. I felt a smile creep up to my face. There was someone else beside him, but she had her back to me. Maybe another family member he didn't mention, a cousin maybe. A woman at a nearby table broke into loud laughter and the girl beside Luke turned to look at them. I caught a glimpse of her face and my smile withered away.

Luke and Olivia, at the same table, talking and laughing. Something was terribly wrong with that scene. Didn't he say they were over?

I stared at them for what seemed like eternity even if it was probably only a few seconds.

"Please don't fall into brooding mode right now Mina. More guests are coming" Matt said snapping me out of my trance. "What are you even looking at anyway?"

"Ughmm...nothing" I muttered and fixed my attention on the boy in front of me. He gave me a charming smirk. I stared at him blankly.

Focus, Mina. They're just talking, socializing, something that is expected at any event.

I should be the one out there, sitting beside him. I should be the one making him smile.

Somehow, I managed to ignore my jealous thoughts and serve guests cordially. Even though I kept darting glances at the Crenshaw table, I was doing relatively fine, until someone decided to eat.

Olivia waltz through the crowd towards Eve and I watched her place her order. She must have sensed me looking at her because she suddenly looked in my direction. We locked gazes for some few seconds, then she walked over to me, leaving Eve looking confused still holding the plate she'd been handing over to her.

"Fancy seeing you here, as expected" she said sassily. "The food is free"

I ignored her and finished serving the little girl in front of me. She smiled at me through her braces, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"I know you hear me loud and clear" came that annoying voice again.

I rolled my eyes. "Stop using my lines. What do you want Olivia?" I was already salty from seeing Luke that close to her. I didn't need her in my face.

"Remember that day when I told you I wouldn't even fight you for him?" she smiled broadly. "Well, I'm sure you get it now." she let out a merry chuckle.

"Okay, I think I'd have an avocado salad, chicken croissants, roast beef..." she continued.

I swallowed all the words I wanted to say and began fixing her plate as she called out what she wanted.

"wait hold on, I don't think I'd have that anymore, too much gluten. Just discard it, fix me a new plate of vegetable pasta salad, put some salmon on the side and..." she stopped and looked at me "you're not serving" she said feigning confusion.

Can I just throw everything she ordered in her face?

I dropped the plate and serving spoon. "How about you fix your own a plate."

"How about we switch places" Matt said, coming to diffuse the tension.

I went over to his spot and began serving an old lady with silver white hair.

***********************************

Luke's POV

I was standing with my father and Mr. Edgar having a meaningless conversation when Olivia returned with a plate of food. She dropped it on the table and turned to me.

"Let's dance" she said.

I looked at her and back at the food. "Aren't you going to eat that?"

"I just lost my appetite" she said with a shrug.

"I was actually having a conversation with our dads" I said, just as I caught my father's eye. He gave me a reprimanding look.

"Oh, we can continue when you get back. Never keep a lady waiting" He said with a wink and Mr. Edgar nodded agreeably.

I put out my arm for Olivia and she took it. I hope this day will be over quickly. We went to the slightly raised dancefloor and began moving slowly to the music. All I could think of was Mina stepping on my toes at the rooftop restaurant and it made me smile.

Olivia looked up and caught me smiling. She smiled too. "Remember that time we ran away for three days. It was the most beautiful time of my life. I'd never been happier. You made me feel so safe and happy, and seen. I felt at home when I was with you, Like I do now"

I fought to keep the smile on my face. I looked at her trying to remember what I felt then. It was a month after Laura's death. I was still broken and hurt. I was looking for an outlet, a way to numb the pain, and Olivia was there. I told her my worries and she told me hers, how lonely and forgotten she felt all the time. It's true what they say, misery loves company. We got high together and partied together, until our parents tracked us down through the trail of credit card expenses. Maybe that's when we became friends, friends with benefits. But I cannot say I felt at home with her. I only felt distracted, which was all I needed at the time.

Her smile fazed a little when I did not say anything. "You remember right?"

"Yes, I remember" I responded.

She reached upwards and kissed me lightly on the lips. I smiled at her slightly. She settled her head again on my chest and the dancing continued.

I felt something calling to me, or someone. It was such a strong feeling, I couldn't ignore it. I looked around until I saw her. Mina, standing by the food tables with her arms across her chest, just glaring at me.

Damn! Why didn't someone hint that this luncheon was hosted by Eve's corner?

I couldn't see her eyes but I could feel the scorching heat from her gaze.

This was bad!

*******************************

She was sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on water when I walked in. she looked at me, then returned her gaze to the glass. I sat down on the opposite seat her. The silent was ominous

"It was just the dance" I said.

"You were with her the entire time, I watched you from the food tables." She looked at me with sad, accusing eyes. "she was your date"

"Not exactly. We met there." I replied, which was true. It wasn't a formal date. She went with her family and I went with mine, but as soon as we all arrived, she came over and wouldn't leave my side. I knew my father and Mr Edgar were watching, so I had to play nice.

The dance" she pointed out.

"It was just a dance. It didn't mean anything."

"The kiss"

"She kissed me. I didn't kiss her"

When did you come back from Merton?"

I looked away guiltily.

"I never left after last weekend." I said, then quickly added when I saw her eyes widen. "There were a lot of things to do at the office, I changed my mind last minute. I wasn't keeping it from you. Things have just been crazy..."

"what am I to you?"

"What?" I stopped talking and took in her calm expression

"What am I to you? Am I just a body to warm you bed on the weekends while you go about living a different life on weekdays?"

I leaned forward. "Mina, you mean so much to me"

"You told me you guys were over"

"We are. It was just a stupid luncheon for socialites. It didn't mean anything to me. She came on to me..."

"She obviously thinks you're still together, You must have given her a reason to think that" she said with narrowed eyes. "did you properly break up with her?".

I was silent for a moment, thinking. Did I? Yes, I made everything clear to Olivia. She understood

"Oh my God, Luke, you didn't break up with her." Mina said standing up, assuming my silence as guilt.

"I did, I mean we both agreed to take a break" I defended.

"take a break...what do you mean take a break? It's either you are still with her or you aren't.."

"'I'm not with her Mina" I cut in, getting worked up too. "I'm not with her. I don't ever want to be with her, but it's not that simple"

"It is simple" she said. "Olivia we're done, it's over. Say those words to her. I can't believe you never really broke up with her and here you were playing me for a fool..."

"I never did that." I stood up and bore my eyes deep into hers. " Everything I told you, I meant it."

"Then explain it to me Luke. Tell me why she keeps coming at me, telling me she wouldn't even have to fight me over you..." She was shouting now.

"There's a marriage contract" I yelled.

It was silent for like five seconds, and in those five seconds, I was really hoping she'd listen to what I had to say.

"I've been trying to get out of it, and I will..."

"What is this? The 17th century? Are you playing a joke on me or what?" She let out a dry laugh.

"I have papers to prove it." I told her sadly. "It was my father's doing and I didn't do anything to stand against it before I met you, but now I will, I promise"

"Don't make promises you can't keep. You really expect me to believe your father is just going to let you walk away from a contract he's already invested in?"

"He will. He owes me" He has to.

She looked at me questioningly and I moved closer to her. "I'm going to get out of it. I'm working on that already..."

"Just...stand back." She said, raising a hand as if to ward me off. I stopped moving closer..

"What are the details of the contract?" She asked.

"It doesn't matter. I'm getting out."

"Just tell me" she said in exasperation. "Just tell me the truth"

I rubbed the bridge between my eyes, feeling like a criminal about to make a confession in a courtroom.

"We get married in a year and stay married for at least two years. The marriage can only be resolved amicably by both parties or if there is a breach of contract by any of the parties and the other files for divorce. But this was all before I met you..."

"Get out" Her voice was cold, hard.

"Mina"

"I can't believe you let me fall in love with you when you knew you were promised to another. Just go. Maybe we were never meant to be together". There were tears in her eyes.

I felt pain rip through my chest, but her confession of love gave me hope "I will get out of that contract Mina, I promise I will" I said with certainty.

She didn't respond. She retook her seat at the table and stared at the glass of water.

I took that as my cue to walk out the door. I'd be back though. I'm not going anywhere.

**************************

Mina's POV

I sat at the table for several minutes after Luke left. Why would he lie to me? Why would he string me along if he knew this will lead nowhere? I felt hurt and betrayed. I felt foolish again, and I felt used. Maybe I was just the booty call until the day they said their vows. I would have sworn his feelings were genuine. All those moments we spent together, all those sweet words he said to me, and he was promised to another. Maybe I'm just a terrible judge of people's character and intentions.

My phone beeped drawing me out of my thoughts. I saw the message in the floating window.

Nengi: Visa interview is in a week 🤸 I'm set for Yankee.

I rested my head on the table and closed my eyes. Could this day get any worse?

*******************

Just about five or six chapters left. I wouldn't update anymore till I'm completely done, then I'd drop everything. I promise not to take too long.

Thank y'all for giving this book a chance. 🤗❤️

See you at the endgame 😘✌️

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

14.7K 1.4K 47
I really want to say that I cried because of how he humiliated me in front of the king. But no, I knew the truth. I liked him and somewhere deep down...
509K 18K 30
(Mature content) (Highest ranks listed) (Editing slowly) A simple last night out with my girls before I move to America. Drinks are flowing, hips mov...
28.8K 2.6K 51
WRITTEN BY SOFIA VITORATOS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED πŸ’‘Fictionalized under true facts πŸ’‘ πŸ›‘*MATURE CONTENT*πŸ›‘ [PUBLISHING] πŸ†1st Place in Chicklit by The...
23.3K 4.1K 83
"What's happening?, why are they taking you away? Say something already!! Please say something" I broke down in hot tears as I dragged him trying to...