Love is Not Just a Book || A...

By Broadway_Crackers

I don't know what to put for the description, but if you know anything about Newsies, the characters, and the... More

Chapter 1 - David's Nervous (Prologue)
Chapter 2 - Newspaper Scandal on the First Day Makes David Anxious (What's New?)
Chapter 3 - So, the Cute Boy's Name is Jack
Chapter 4 - Quit Snatching My Papers, Will You?
Chapter 5 - Meeting Miss Medda Larkin (the Queen Herself lol)

Chapter 6 - Don't Come a Knocking (but's he's not Flirting lol)

138 5 11
By Broadway_Crackers

- Chapter 6 - Kath and Jack Are Not Soulmates -
Warnings: None really? Slight nerves, but nothing else
Third Person POV

Davey, Les, and Jack start clapping when Medda strikes a pose, signalling that her song ended.

Medda blew a kiss to Jack when she finished and Jack blew one back.

Medda waved to Davey and Les, so they waved back as well.

When Davey looked back at where Jack had been standing, he was gone, confusing Davey slightly.

Jack told Medda what a wonderful job she did, before asking who the girl that had caught his eye was.

Medda smiles, pat his shoulder, and whispers, "Why don't you go find out?"

So, Jack ventured up to her box.

The girl immediately saw him as the Bowery Beauties started singing 'Don't Come a Knocking'.

"Hello again." Jack smiles, standing next to her.

Her mouth hung open slightly. "This is a private box!" She tells him.

"You want I should lock the door?" Jack asks with a small grin as he gestures to the door.

The girl merely rolls her eyes at him.

"Twice in one day," Jack starts, sticking his hands in his pockets. "You think it's fate?" He asks excitedly.

The girl shoos him off. "Go away, I'm working." She grumbles, looking back at her notepad.

"Ooh, a working girl!" Jack looks curiously at her. "Doing what?" He asks.

"Reviewing the show for 'the New York Sun'." The girl responds, annoyedly gesturing to the show with her pencil.

"Hey!" Jack grins. "I work for 'the World'!" He exclaims.

The girl pretends to be interested. "Ooh, somewhere out there someone cares!" She gasps in fake excitement. "Go tell them!"

Jack chuckles. "The view is better here." He states, looking over the box.

His eyes almost immediately found Davey.

"Please go," The girl was half pleading, half super annoyed by this point. "I'm not in the habit of speaking to strangers." She tells him.

Jack scoffs. "Then you're gonna make a lousy reporter." He responds.

The girl rolls her eyes.

Jack turns to face her, sticking his out. "The names Jack Kelly!" He introduces himself.

The girl stares at his hand, before looking back up at him. "Is that what it says on your rap sheet?" She asks.

Jack chuckles, letting his hand drop to his side. "Ohh, a smart girl." He stares at the stage, smiling. "I admire smart girls. Beautiful, smart, independent-"

The girl stands up quickly. "Do you mind?!"

Multiple guests bang on their box, startling the girl into sitting back down as they shout.

"You got in for free, at least pay attention!" Medda scolds, but Jack could tell that it was partially a joke.

"Sorry, Miss Medda." Jack apologizes, a cheeky smile on his face.

The girl scoffs as Medda nods approvingly, going back to watching the show.

"Let's skip straight to the point," Jack starts.

The girl looks up at him.

"You're definitely not my Soulmate." Jack states.

The girl nods. "My name's Katherine." She informs him.

Jack smiles. "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl." He responds. "Anyone would be lucky to have you as their Soulmate." He tells him.

Katherine blushes slightly, smiling. "Thanks, Jack." She responds. "I'm just hoping it isn't a guy." She informs him.

Jack smirks slightly. "I'm hoping mine isn't a girl." He responds.

Katherine breathes out a laugh. "I guess we're on the same page then." She states.

Jack nods.

After that, they fell into a comfortable silence as Jack went back to drawing and Katherine went back to reviewing the show.

Jack: I got no use for moonlight
Or sappy poetry
Love at first sight's for suckers
At least it used to be

Katherine looks over at him.

Look, girls are nice, once or twice
Till I find someone new
But I never planned on someone like you

Katherine peaks her head over his shoulder to see what he was drawing.

She saw him drawing a picture of a boy, one she had seen in the audience earlier.

Katherine looks back at the audience as Jack and the Bowery Beauties start singing.

Jack: I got no use for moonlight
(Bowery Beauties: Don't come a-knocking on my door)
Or sappy poetry
(You aren't welcome here no more)

Katherine found the boy Jack was drawing almost immediately.

He was watching the show with a younger boy- who looked very tired- resting in his lap.

Katherine smiles slightly.

Love at first sight's for suckers
(I should've known you stunk like yesterday's trash)
At least it used to be
(The night you stole my heart plus 40 dollars in cash)

Katherine felt more drawn to Jack's picture than she was her work, but she had to do the work anyway.

Bowery Beauties: Turns out my beau is just some bum
Turns out that love ain't blind, its dumb
You never told the truth or
Worked a day in your life

Katherine wouldn't usually admit it, but she liked 'Don't Come a Knocking'.

It was catchy and just a song that got stuck in your head, especially when you had just gotten it out of your head.

In fact, you're so revoltin'
I feel bad for your wife
I won't be shaving your back anymore,
No señor

(Don't come a knocking on my door!)

"Whatcha doing?" Katherine asks Jack.

"Quiet down," Jack smiles amusedly at her. "There's a show going on." He gestures to the Bowery Beauties on the stage.

Katherine glares half-heartedly at him. "You are the most impossible boy-" she starts.

Jack shhs her, a finger to his lips as he smirks.

(Don't come a knocking on my door!)

Katherine glares at him. "Ever." She grumbles.

Jack smiles cheekily.

Jack: No, I never planned on someone like you.
(Bowery Beauties: Don't come a knocking on my door.)

Jack places the picture on a seat, before climbing out of the box, tipping the hat to Katherine as he does so.

Katherine gets up, but the picture catches her eye.

She picks it up, staring at it.

Katherine smiles at the picture of the boy she had seen Jack with earlier.

She tucked the picture into a pocket of her skirt because she had a feeling she'd see them again and that the two boys were Soulmates.

The picture would come in handy.

Bonus

Davey looks at Jack. "Where have you been?" He whispers quickly. "You just disappeared." He reminds him.

Jack smirks at him. "Somewhere." He answers.

Davey almost groans out loud, but controlled himself so he didn't wake Les up. "You're the most impossible boy-" he starts.

Jack's smirk grew wider as he pressed finger to Davey's lips to shush him.

Davey's face turned slightly red. "Ever." He grumbles.

Jack chuckles, pulling away. "Why don't we get you two home?" He suggests.

Davey nods, getting up.

Jack picks Les up, looking back at Katherine one more time, before leaving with Davey.

"When did you get a glove?" Davey asks curiously, looking at the glove on Jack's hand.

Jack shrugs, taking the glove off of his dominant hand and throwing it to the side.

Davey stops. "Should we-" he starts.

Jack chuckles. "Leave it, Jacobs." He responds.

Davey rolls his eyes, quickly following Jack and his sleeping brother.

1246 Words
This chapter isn't the best, so sorry about that lol.
Also, which cover is better? (Cause I hate the current cover and want to change it)
1 -

2 -

I think 2 is better, but I need other people's opinions lol

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 51.8K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
360K 7.6K 34
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
250K 24.1K 60
Third book of idol love series... Devotion- "Strongest form of love" All the characters are fictional. There is no connection with the real place or...
2.1M 107K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...