Shades of Purple

By roxyshortcake

Taehyung is a young fiction writer who is driven almost mad from being unable to finish his book. Eventually... More

I got these beliefs that I think you wanna break
What the hell did we do?
Happy little pill
We've been making shades of purple out of red and blue
Everything I wanted
Take yourself home
Distance makes the heart grow fonder
I just keep on looking back on better days
I am picturing you beside me

Young ambition

46.6K 543 217
By roxyshortcake

Chapter I

------
Young ambition
------

Dance to this Troye ft. Ariana

Taehyung liked feeling the texture of the keyboard beneath his hands, fingers hovering skillfully over the plastic keys, being able to transpose his feelings virtually, straight to a word document.
His inspiration would come from different sources. Sometimes, it was the frail lavender he saw in the morning on his way to high school, other times was the youthful stories his grandmother would tell him while preparing her special herbal tea. Some other times it was just... his favorite music.

Music was a powerful source of inspiration for him, especially when writing. It helped him describe sceneries, imagine and reimagine new ones, build up intriguing background stories, but most importantly, bring the characters he forged with so much passion, to life.

That day was a typical normal day for Taehyung who was in front of his laptop, a cup of tea steaming on the coffee table, hands above the keyboard, music blasting in his earphones. He inhaled deeply, exhaled, and opened his eyes.
He would definitely write a few pages this time.
He just had to start typing, right? Write a few words down...

But nothing... Taehyung found himself staring at a blank document, dejected and frustrated.
He sighed after a few minutes of staring at the empty page in front of him. He liked the plot of the story he started writing just a few weeks ago, it was intriguing and had everything it took to become a great story. Yet, he felt like something was missing. Most probably the characters were lacking somewhere.

Taehyung was struggling to find the inspiration he needed. Something that used to come so naturally, became a burden.

Certainly, the state he was in wasn't going to lead him anywhere.

He decided to call his favorite cousin, Kim Seokjin, who was studying literature at the university Taehyung also wished to attend after finishing high school.

Kim Taehyung was a senior high school student. He had developed a fervent passion for literature and writing for the past few years. His dream was to attend Seoul National University and study literature. To make sure he would indeed pursue his dream, he planned to go the extra mile and write a story that, eventually, would be added to his portfolio, giving him an extra opportunity to make an impression and be accepted.

He was lucky to be the cousin of Kim Seokjin, a third-year student at Seoul National University, pridefully holding the title of Student of the Year. He had taught Taehyung a lot of things about writing, creating, and developing brilliant characters for his fictional stories, where Taehyung was excelling the most. Seokjin helped him improve his skills, pointing out every time something he wrote was lacking, offering alternatives on how he could fill those holes proficiently.

Taehyung loved receiving feedback, especially when it came from someone as experienced as Seokjin.

Seokjin had warned Taehyung of times when he won't be able to write, of times when there will be this invisible force keeping him away from his passion. He did believe his cousin to a certain extent, just didn't experience it up until that day. He had no idea what it meant to be faced with a "writer's block" up until then.

Now that he knew, he tried following Seokjin's advice by going into that headspace, making himself comfortable and surrounded by all the things that inspired him, yet, something was still missing.

Maybe the incapability to write had a cause, and maybe it had something to do with his insecurities.

The more he looked back on the outline of the story, the more he realized that there was something he didn't like, something that was missing, and he couldn't picture what, no matter how many times others reassured him that he was continuously improving.

Accepting that alone he wasn't able to overcome what he was experiencing at that moment, Taehyung asked his cousin to join him for a coffee, in the hopes that Seokjin could help.

-

Upon entering the coffee shop, Taehyung spots Seokjin, punctual as ever, already there waiting for him, calm demeanor, sipping from his frappe.
"Good afternoon to my favorite little cousin!" A goofy smile appeared on his face as soon as he spotted Taehyung entering the lounge.

Taehyung's cheeks went from pale to crimson real fast. "Shh, please stop calling me that, Jin! There might be people from my school here. You are ruining my image." Taehyung replied with a cocky attitude, knowing how much his cousin enjoyed mocking him.

Seokjin raised one of his eyebrows arrogantly.

"And what image are we talking about?"

"The cute, elegant, peculiar, future-to-be best author, this image." Taehyung winked while taking a seat, pulling a few notes out of his backpack.

"Alright, cute, elegant, peculiar, future-to-be best author, may I know why have I been summoned today?"

"Writer's block, Jin. I'm actually going through that." Taehyung explained, placing his notebook in front of his cousin. "Look, this is the main plot of the story I'm writing. I have been writing bits of the story, randomly, but I can't just get past a certain point."

Seokjin furrowed his brows, humming attentively while scrolling through Taehyung's notes. "Tae, um, who is the protagonist of this story? You have lots of characters listed here but I can't seem to see any differences between them. Seems like all of them are side characters."

"Ahh, well.." Taehyung scratched his chin, searching for an answer. "I haven't decided yet. I have the plot of the story and I find it quite impressive coming from me, I have lots of characters...though!" Taehyung tried to fake some enthusiasm, but with each passing second, he started to realize that the issue was right under his nose.

"Taehyung. Did you start writing the book without even deciding on a protagonist? Of course you are in the middle of a crisis at the moment. The protagonist is one of the most important things when it comes to writing fiction." Seokjin advised, half focused on his drink, half focused on the notebook in front of him.

"I mean.. Yeah.. obviously." Taehyung agreed with him. "I just, I don't know what this character should be looking like, what traits they would have. Nothing feels fitting, you know?" And it was true.

Deep down Taehyung knew what has been missing from his story all along, he thought that, by writing the setting of the story and everything else, he would be able to eventually give life to a protagonist. Although he put much effort into trying, his brain would deplete whenever he started putting ideas down.

"Taehyung, one of the best things about writing and being a writer is that you can take inspiration out of everything that surrounds you." Seokjin smiled kindly at him, filling Taehyung's heart with determination to fight the crisis. "If you cannot create a character, it is because nothing inspired you enough to do so." Seokjin looked outside the window, following the silhouettes of a few passing shadows on the street. "Characters are usually inspired by people that have left their imprint in your life. I, for example, wrote many poems based on someone that made my heart flutter, whether it was just a great friend, a family member, or the person I fell in love with."

Listening to Seokjin, made Taehyung admire him even more. He was an inspiration for Taehyung himself.

"I have a lot of precious friends..." Taehyung's mind displayed the faces of the beloved people in his life, his family, Jimin, his classmate and best friend, Hoseok, who used to be his upperclassmen and remained one of the few people who Taehyung could always rely on, the other friends from the writing club...

"Wait, I have never fallen in love. I had a crush during the first year, it was fun, but I can't say... It would inspire me, Jin. Actually, it makes me feel uncomfortable thinking of writing about that experience."

"Well.." Seokjin was focused on providing an alternative, scratching his chin, while Taehyung was just as focused on Seokjin's face, eagerly waiting for the reply. "Well, then try creating a character that inspires you. Make a list of every personality trait you wish to find on that "special someone" one day and see if that might help. You might get more attached to this character than you realize."

-

And so Taehyung did. Months have passed and the story he created bloomed, surrounding his protagonist, Aiden.

A kind-hearted village boy who dreamed of becoming one of the best swordsmen in the capital of an ancient world.

Taehyung made sure to pour his soul into creating this character, as Seokjin suggested, before going back to crafting the story.

Aiden had big doe eyes matching their dreamy brown color, dark, wavy hair, enclosed by the sunny and childlike smile, evermore plastered to his face.

The development of Taehyung's story described how Aiden went from a cute and funny village boy to a brave, competent, and honorable knight. He made sure to add flaws here and there to Aiden's personality, flaws that he overcame with time, flaws that turned him into the strong man Taehyung admired so much.

He had Aiden's features engraved in his mind more often than he thought he would. A particular image of the man's smile, showing his cute almost bunny-like teeth whenever he managed to overcome a difficult situation surfaced frequently before Taehyung's eyes. He didn't have a choice but to keep writing with that envision in his mind.
Maybe Seokjin was right and all Taehyung needed was inspiration. If he couldn't find inspiration in the world he lived in, he created his own, and he loved every bit of the character he built.

He had never thought he would grow so attached to an imaginary character, but he did, and now all that mattered to Taehyung was to make sure that the book he was writing was about to flourish, not only in his heart but in those of the people that were about to read it as well.

A few months later, Taehyung had already managed to publish his book because of Seokjin's advice and help. He had a lot to work on, it was an expensive process, but there were a few people placing a few orders every now and then, which gave Taehyung a push forward.

With heart at peace and looking brightly at the future, he was now getting ready for his finals, with the help of his best friend.

-

* a few months later*

Jimin had always been Taehyung's best friend since he met him in high school. They were different in many ways but completed each other perfectly.

Like Yin and Yang, or that's how the two of them liked to call their relationship.

They have been through a lot during their teenage years, but Taehyung couldn't call it "hard times", as much as he would call it "challenging times".
It took both of them a lot of time to decide what path they were inclined to follow in their lives. Jimin chose dancing, and Taehyung's purpose was to become a true fiction author. But high school wasn't just about that. During high school, Taehyung experienced a lot of fun with Jimin, living his "love adventures", observing and learning from his experiences, maybe even more than living on his own.

Taehyung didn't fall in love up until now, but he has been there for Jimin when he had a crush or fell in love for the first time, and damn, it was funny. Jimin and Taehyung would often go out to cafes after school, spending hours just for Jimin to receive a "hi" from the guy he liked. On the opposite side of the table there was always Taehyung who loved the thrill, absorbing Jimin's feelings and enjoying every moment.

Maybe Taehyung was different from his best friend and he just wasn't cut for the stage light the way Jimin was. He didn't know how to lure people in, but Jimin surely did. He captivated anyone who had the chance to exchange a few words with him, a fact that allowed Taehyung the chance to taste a bit of Jimin's reputation.

Jimin wasn't tall, in fact, Taehyung liked to joke around saying he was pocket-sized. Nonetheless, in contrast to his height, Jimin's aura was completely superior to most of the people he has ever known. He had unique facial features, puny eyes always resembling his humble yet sturdy character, having the power to change the way you feel by just looking into his eyes, and Taehyung would always take advantage of this.
Jimin had the wonderful power of making Taehyung feel better, more positive, and taste happiness in his daily life.

In opposition to him, Taehyung used to think that his own character was flat, dull, living passionless without even realizing he had already found several passions.

Without even realizing he would be able to bathe into that unmistakable feeling of creating art.
Well, that wasn't the case anymore. Not now when Taehyung was a blooming flower, still opposing Jimin's personality, but thriving in his own ravishing way.

With time, Taehyung ended up being Jimin's popular and mysterious friend. It was unintentional, but that's how it ended up. Everyone knew Taehyung's name, but nothing else, in contrast to Jimin who loved sharing his daily activities with his followers on social media, for example.

Though, Taehyung enjoyed things staying that way. He loved the way only Jimin knew the real him, and only he knew the real Jimin.

-

"I read your book for the seventh time this weekend, Tae." Jimin mentioned casually while highlighting a few important notes in one of his notebooks. They were studying for the upcoming exams at Taehyung's place. The second semester of their third year was about to end. All they had left were the final exams.

University applications have already been submitted, and all that was left was passing the exams with flying colors.

"This is embarrassing Jimin, I do appreciate your enthusiasm but it's not good for you." Taehyung whined after sipping from his coffee.

"No, Tae, because you wouldn't create a sequel and the open ending is just not for me." Jimin complained, stopping paying attention to his notes for a few seconds, raising his gaze towards his friend. "I think I fell in love with Aiden." He started batting his eyelashes repeatedly with dreamy eyes.

Taehyung just sighed deeply, frustration combined with tiredness ruining his resolve. "Dude, you are not allowed to fall in love with Aiden. He's mine. You have half of the high school at your feet, Aiden is a no-no for you. Forbidden."

"That's just mean, Taehyung. Is this how you treat your best friend?" Jimin fake cried, using his puppy eyes as if Taehyung would ever fall for it.
"Stop making me sad. It makes me even hungrier. Didn't you order Jajangmyeon one hour ago?"

"Firstly, stop acting like that, it's not cute, you trying to act cute while being hungry looks monstrous, secondly, now that you mention it... it's been more than an hour." Taehyung checked his phone to see the exact time when the order was placed.

"Unless the delivery guy is a good catch, I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind. Just see, this restaurant is expensive as hell, the least they can do is to deliver on time." Jimin warned looking at the door as if the delivery food was already waiting outside.

Taehyung just rolled his eyes at Jimin's antics and went back to studying. He needed to pass these exams more than the food.

Just a few moments later, Taehyung's concentration was interrupted by the noisy doorbell. He figured that he needn't get up to open the door since Jimin was already there ready to collect the food.

Taehyung heard how Jimin opened the door instantly, so he closed his notebook, waiting excitedly for the food. The more he thought about it, the hungrier he got.

"What the fuck?" Jimin's voice echoed through the hallway reaching Taehyung's ears where he was sitting in the living room. Did they bring the wrong order?

"Jimin! Did something happen?" Taehyung stood up, more curious than anything, approaching the hallway.

He didn't manage to reach the hallway because Jimin was already back in the living room, blocking Taehyung's view. "I have three seconds to explain. Told the guy I forgot the money."

"Okaay, did you? If you don't have change I might have-"

"Tae. I have the money. We have a big problem. Big problem as in capitalized bold big."

Confused, Taehyung decided to go and pay the order himself because God knows what was happening to Jimin. He might have been going through an existential crisis of some sort, and Taehyung was just hungry.

"No, no, no, no, no, don't go." Jimin stopped Taehyung again. "You are going to faint." Jimin warned, stopping Taehyung from moving once again.

"Dude, just explain already!" Taehyung felt exasperated. What could possibly be-

"It's Aiden," Jimin whispered, motioning with his hand towards the door.

Taehyung froze in front of Jimin for a second. "It's bad." His eyes widened with concern. "You've completely lost it, Jimin."

"Okay, big brain, go check for yourself. I swear I'm not crazy." Taehyung threw another suspicious, sidelong glance at Jimin then proceeded to get the door. "Waaait for me, Tae!"

Taehyung didn't want to waste any more time, he was hungry and it was disrespectful to let the delivery guy in front of the door like that. He took his wallet and opened the door swiftly.

"Here, the money, keep the rest since we made you wai-" Taehyung kinda froze on the spot for the second time in the past three minutes. Jimin was right? Jimin was never right. That was impossible.

"Here's your food!" The guy just smiled awkwardly and handed Taehyung the food. "Hey?" He waved his empty hand in front of him.
"Do you want the food or?"

Taehyung snapped out of his gaze immediately. "Oh yeah, right, thanks!" He grabbed the bag and stole another peek at the guy.

He was Taehyung's height, big doe eyes, slightly long and curly black hair, wearing a black leather jacket and black, ripped jeans as if outside wasn't cold as shit. Bold if you asked Taehyung.

"Uh- Enjoy your food!" The delivery boy replied, face puzzled in confusion.

He entered the apartment, closing the door behind quietly just to be faced with Jimin. "Told you." Jimin smiled cockily in his face.

"The face. Jimin, this guy was nothing Aiden is, but that face... this was so creepy. His skin looked so perfect, exactly the way I used to describe Aiden's face, and those lips? Those thin and somewhat pale, dry lips, um, wow. Creepy." Taehyung stared into blank space, not knowing what to do with that information.

"Creepy? Taehyung this is not creepy, it is destiny! Can you imagine what this means?"

Taehyung placed the two Jajangmyeon cups on the kitchen table, excited that he could finally eat. "What does that mean?" What was Jimin's question anyway? He was already past the delivery boy thing. The food was too delicious to focus on anything else.

Jimin started munching on his food, explaining to Taehyung why he needed to get to know the guy. "If you exclude the clothes, it's Aiden, Tae."

"And the hair, and the piercing. And did I see a tattoo on his hand? And his whole..." Taehyung gesticulated with his chopsticks. "nimbus".

"Can't you be like... a bit more excited? We need to find out who he is, his school, age- he has tattoos, must be over 18, but looks young, maybe our age? Also, we need to find out who he's friends with, uhhh... he looked so familiar but when I close my eyes all I can see is the image of Aiden I created in my head."

"I can't be... that excited, Jimin. This is a coincidence. We would sound like creeps doing the research you've just mentioned based... on what? My book?" Taehyng questioned, suspicion in his voice, almost finishing his food.

"Coincidence or not..." Jimin continued. "It's your chance. It's the end of high school, some adrenaline wouldn't hurt. Maybe he's the one!."

Taheyung rolled his eyes. "No, thank you."

A/N ~ Hi guys, this is Shortcake! This story has been written for the In Bloom Taekook Fest, and it is published on Ao3. However, I decided to share it here as well.

Story Cover: HMNLVR

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/31645724/chapters/78315059

Enjoy! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

planetary By rox

Fanfiction

3.5K 205 10
an emotional journey of self-discovery. read with an open heart.
114K 2.7K 49
Taylor Croft is your average teenager trying to get through senior year. She cheers, she has friends, she had a boyfriend until she decided she didn'...
124K 2.4K 21
A servant to the gods of Asgard, Kara lived in the palace and kept up after the gods that live there. Her day to day had always been cleaning and not...
314K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc