Raise The Bar

By razzyreads

Adrian & Genevieve - Book I of the UCC Series One night, my roommate dragged me to a party at the basketball'... More

BEFORE YOU READ
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen

chapter twelve

3K 73 20
By razzyreads

"Turn here."

"You fucking idiot, you can only go straight."

"I told you not to listen to him."

"I didn't, none of you assholes put the GPS on."

"There's no service here."

"We're right next to a cell tower lazy ass. We're in the middle of a bunch of fucking cornfields."

"I know where to go."

"Shut the fuck up Luke."

"I knew he wouldn't be able to remember he was drunk before and after this party for 3 years in a row."

"We've been sitting here for 5 minutes just keep driving."

"Goddamn."

We go down the dark road, probably leading us to a dead fucking end until I see a turn and there appears the haunted house. Tons of cars outside the building with lights strung around it and clamoring sounds of pandemonium.

"There's your angel," JJ says patting me on the back as we walk in the door.

Genevieve is in red leather pants and a matching lace corset. Including devil horns and all. Luke's already on his way to Madison in her white leather dress with angel wings and a halo on her head.

She turns her head to see me, "Who tipped you off?"

"JJ.'

"Emma must've told him." I wanna kiss her again so bad but before I can say another word Kenny shows up.

"Hey man." He shakes my hand and pulls me into a hug. "And who's this?"

"Gigi, it's nice to meet you," she introduces herself.

"Kenny, cool to meet you." He tells me he has Bailey's stuff in his car and then excuses himself.

"Bailey?"

"Our dog." Suddenly a smile spreads across her face, reflecting in her eyes. "You have a dog?"

"English bulldog. We have joint custody." We move to the porch when the keg gets set up.

"You kissed me."

"I kissed you but I wanna do so much more to you." She lets out a laugh, sounds like church bells ringing. It's the best sound I've ever heard. "I wanna take you on a date. Saturday, I'll pick you up at 8 pm. Wear something formal Cherry."

"Do I get to know what we're doing?" My smirk says enough. "I hate surprises."

"Tough times baby."

- Genevieve -

My first date in six months. The first one with the potential to be a relationship.

I need to tell Mads.

I rack my brain walking back into the main room of the haunted house. I deduce that she went into the actual attraction side of the house and will myself into the horror-filled room.

The party is known for a chilling fright exhibit and getting scared shitless isn't on my bucket list tonight so I decide to sit it out and wait for her to come out.

Low and behold, fifteen minutes pass, and out she walks looking utterly horrified.

"I'm never eating rice again after that," do I wanna know? No. "All those fake worms, they looked so goddamn real."

Luke right behind her looks practically green, ready to puke at any time so I take a few steps back.

"And the fucking fake dungeon. They just locked us in there and filled the place with cooked rice," he shuddered.

The party ended late night, like always.

"Adrian asked me on a date and I said yes," I tell Mads the minute we got in the car. We used my moms since none of us had one.

"Are you being fucking serious? Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She shrieks jumping up and down hitting me on the arm.

"It happened five minutes ago."

"You waited five minutes and now I don't get to know how you looked when it happened."

"My mistake, I sincerely apologize." She shakes her head laughing while walking to the fridge before she turns around in a haste.

"Oh- I totally forgot, Luke told me it's Adrian's birthday today," in complete disbelief I look to the clock right as it turns to 12 am.

"Like today as in at the party or like right now, the 31st of October?"

"Right now, apparently he's totally against celebrating it." I twist my face in confusion.

"Why?" I bet it's got some dark mysterious explanation.

"Said him and the other guys are the only people who know why and can't tell anyone."

I whip my phone from my back pocket and find his number.

Im hurt. You ask me out and don't tell me it's your birthday? happy birthday castillo.

Luke's ass isn't the only thing that's big. Thanks Laurence.

can i see u tomorrow?

let's do 3pm on the riverwalk near the winery.

Liking his message Mads sets a bowl down near me filled with cookie dough ice cream.

"Making plans?"

"Seeing him tomorrow at 3 on the riverwalk."

"Wear a sweater, it's cold. You can wear the one you thrifted, I finished the alterations"

"I don't know what I'd do without you," I side hug her. My biggest cheerleader.

________

The crisp afternoon air creeps up on my body through the soft fabric of my brown sweater with my powder blue puffer coat, bought to fend off the cold Chicago weather. My white pom hat is sagging barely covering my ears.

I've spent my entire morning looking for the perfect gift for Adrian and have come up short in every area. After asking all his friends including Kenny nothing has panned out.

I guess they were pretty busy dealing with Bailey since they hadn't had her in a while. Nonetheless, I spot a pawn shop with custom vintage records through the window.

I heard he liked old music. Hopefully he'll like this. "Can I get ten tracks please?"

SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL - THE ROLLING STONES

(I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION - ROLLING STONES

HEY JUDE - THE BEATLES

U CAN'T TOUCH THIS - MC HAMMER

MY HERO - FOO FIGHTERS

TEARIN' UP MY HEART- NSYNC

SOMEBODY TO LOVE - QUEEN

HAPPINESS - THE FRAY

THIS CHARMING MAN - THE SMITHS

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - STEVIE WONDER

They wrap it up in brown paper with a red ribbon and I leave the store content with my purchase. As nervous as I am to give him this present, I feel a sense of hopefulness. A birthday present is so important, especially for someone as special as Adrian.

I arrive at the riverwalk shortly before 3 and I'm surprised to see he's already there.

He notices me immediately and a smile appears on his face

"Happy birthday," I hug him, his large biceps engulfing me in a warm hug, careful not to crush me. When we come apart I present his gift to him, and he looks stolid.

"I don't have anything for you."

"It's your birthday, not mine. It's not much, and I'm sure you've already received tons of gifts, but I had to."

"Thank you gorgeous. I'm sure whatever you got me is going to be the best present ever," he plants a kiss on my cheek.

"There's a condition," I add, "you can't open it until you get home." I would love to see the reaction if it was anyone else but I'm too nervous to see the potential disappointment in his eyes.

"It's a deal."

We sit on the steps leaning against one another, observing the people around us.

"Luke said you don't really celebrate your birthday," I state.

"Mhm. Just not much of a birthday person."

"I get that, but I'm the complete opposite. Love my birthday, the party and all my friends." He chuckles, his whole chest vibrating against my back making me giggle.

"I'm going to keep that in mind," wrapping his arms tighter around mine. We aren't even officially dating and we still act like a couple.

"A halloween birthday? Your mom must've loved throwing parties." It's almost a question, like a doorway into learning more about him.

"She did."

"Am I only going to get tight lipped answers?"

"Not much more to say," he shrugs. It's gonna be a battle getting him to open up to me but I leave it at that. "Hey, you okay?"

He sounds concerned but I'm really just freezing even though I'm way more covered up than him in a mere long jacket to cover him up.

"I'm good," we decided to go inside a restaurant to warm up.

"I have to go by five but we're still on for Saturday right?"

"Of course, I can't wait for our first real date." He looks more excited than I think I've ever seen anyone.

"Me neither," he smiles. "Any plans tonight?"

"Not much. Mads and I are gonna binge watch Disney movies and make thai food. You? What's at 5?"

"I'm taking my siblimgs trick or treating?" I turn my eyes from the menu to him flabbergasted.

"Siblings, how old?" They must be under 15 if they're trick or treating.

"Five siblings. Casey's thirteen so he's almost over the whole Halloween thing. Liam's eleven, then Reese who's nine. Addy's seven, and Luna turned five a few months ago."

"Wow, your parents hands must be filled. My parents were totally overwhelmed with four kids."

"My mom is, not much of a Dad in the picture." He shifts uncomfortably and straight away I feel insensitive.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have assumed."

"Don't worry about it Cherry, it's been a long time. Besides, we're better off."

"Your mom must be a saint," I add and he laughs, "She is incredible."

He tells me how basketball was the diversion from his family issues. How when he was ten years old his coach told him he was meant to be great, how his mom was at every game, and how he plays with his siblings and teases them with his height relentlessly, holding the ball over their heads.

"I was 6'3 by freshman year. How tall are your brothers?"

"Ben's 6'1 and Caleb's 6'2. Cass's only 5'4," the height differences between my siblings and I is disproportionate considering Mom and Dad have relatively similar heights. "Mom's 5'9 and Dad's 6'0 so I think Cass and I got the short end of the stick. I always wished I was taller."

"I think it's cute. And you're not that short." The waiter comes by with dessert menus and tells us the special is strawberry shortcake. "Shortcake, new nickname?"

"Nope, never happening." We finish up and the check comes by.

"Birthday gift, babe."

"No way in hell am I letting you pay for it."

"Just let me-" before I can say more he snatches it from the middle of the table and holds it up. "That's just wrong."

"Sorry Cherry gotta take every advantage you get."

- Adrian -

The most thoughtful gift I've ever gotten. The second I saw it I felt all emotional. A vinyl with all the greats on it.

Best present ever.

Really?? Yayyy, i didn't know if you would like it or not.

loved it. thank you Cherry.

your welcome, and happy birthday again<3 Shit. When she types those hearts it makes me feel all soft.

"Hey man, we got you a cake before you leave," Devontae tells me when I walk into the living room.

I thank all three of them once again for their gifts and for decorating the house with balloons and streamers.

I blow out the double two candles. Another banner year.

The cake is shoved in my face, like every year, and it never gets old.

"Luke, fuckin asshole" I grab a piece and shove it right back at him and JJ always misses hitting the fridge.

"Just so you know I'm not cleaning this up," Devontae bickers.

"Lame ass," JJ hits him with a piece.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4M 184K 46
Veronica Cruz has been through hell and back. After disconnecting with the world two years ago to be at the side of her dying mother, she's left alon...
291K 5.8K 48
COMPLETED MADDY HAYES has never been the type of girl who listens to what other people have to say. She's mean, confident, and very, very intimidatin...
569K 24.4K 106
We're not in love. Our past is a dumpster fire. The best we are is friends with benefits... without the friends' part. Jake Harrison, USC's star quar...
260K 2.5K 8
This is an erotic romance. Recommended 18+! Completed. Excerpt: His mouth was back on mine in an instant, the door behind us rattling loudly as he th...