How to be Happy: Futility in...

By Authorswagger

Two weeks after a brutal fight, our ragtag group of protagonists battle against an insane Yakuza Family Patri... More

Chapter 1: Futile Beginnings
Chapter 2: A Confused Reflection
Chapter 3: The Changed Charmer
Chapter 4: An Unlikely Threat
Chapter 5: The Cruel Reality
Chapter 6: Familiarity
Chapter 7: Cautiously Cowardly
Chapter 8: Stand and Stand Again
Chapter 10: Impossible Luck
Chapter 11: Gracefully Panicked
Chapter 12: The Charmer's Change
Chapter 13: Lucked Out
Chapter 14: Minor Mistakes make Misery
Chapter 15: Hurting to Love, or Loving to Hurt?
Chapter 16: Town of Complex Simplicity
Chapter 17: An Old Friend
Chapter 18: Shocking!

Chapter 9: Two Opposing Houses

23 3 0
By Authorswagger

        "Hey Mom? Dad?"
"AAH! STRANGER IN THE HOUSE!" A woman screamed, as a man came out from a kitchen.

"Who are you?! What do you want from us?!"
"I'm your son, for the 9000th time!" Fruity exclaimed, as the mother was confused.

"I don't have a son!"
"I was going to ask if I could move out of the boiler room."

"YOU WERE SLEEPING IN OUR HOUSE?!"

"Yeah, screw this, I'll find somewhere else. Make sure you actually care about little Sagawa and don't neglect him like you did to me."

"HE KNOWS OUR SON!"

Fruity exited the house, angry and pissed off. His stomach grumbled, as he wandered the streets of Nozomu. Eventually, he sat down on an old wooden bench, as he contemplated everything.

Then the bench broke, and Fruity was seated on the cold hard floor, as he realized he hit rock bottom. He curled into a ball to protect himself from the rain, as a stranger approached him.

"What're you doing on the floor?" The voice said, as Fruity looked up at him.
"Stand up, I need you for something." The voice said, as blood leaked onto Fruity. Fruity noticed the injury and was shocked.

"Oh my god! Sir, are you ok?!" 
"Just peachy. Call an ambulance, will you? I feel kind of.. tired.." The voice said, as he fainted into Fruity's arms. Fruity didn't have a phone, so he carried the man to a hospital, as the man phased in and out of consciousness.

As Fruity entered the hospital, paramedics rushed over to him, as they began to shout.

"Oh my god..! Hey, we have an injury here!" One of the medics asked, as they pushed Fruity away from the man.

"Open room 103! Injury: Missing Eye!"

Back in the present..

Fruity knocks on a door, as the door opens and the group is greeted to a middle-aged woman and her husband, scared.

"AAAH!" The woman screamed, as the father sighed.
"You're that orange-haired freak again.. what do you want now?"

"You guys bought a house for Sagawa, yes? But he's not old enough have it, and you signed it under your firstborn, which is..?"

"Fruity, your mother and I don't want you back."
"Yes, I know. Give me the house and I won't be coming back here any time soon. Oh, and once we get there, we're gonna need ¥500,000, that good with you?"

"Sigh. Fine, you can have our house and our pocket change. Is there anything else you want, or are you ready to leave me and my wife alone?" The father said, as Fruity looked around.

"How about that sports car?" Fruity said, as the father looked at him with confusion.
"What? We need something to get there with!"

"Fine. Now take it and leave, you're not wanted here. And take your drug-addicted friends with you, we don't need Meth in the backyard, we have people that we care for here."

"Thanks, dad!"
"Don't you call me that you li-"

"Bye!" Fruity said, as he entered the sports car with Okawa, Kamaye, and Yuki all inside.

Fruity drove off onto the highway, as he began mumbling. Kamaye fiddled with the buttons in the front, as Okawa stared out the window. Yuki leaned forward and asked:

"What's up with you and your dad?"
"He's a prick, that's what. When I have the chance, I'll burn down that house and take Sagawa."

"Wouldn't that count as kidnapping? How old is he, anyway?"
"He's 4."
"HE'S 4?!" The whole car shouted, as Kamaye spoke first.

"WHY WOULD THEY BUY A HOUSE FOR A 4 YEAR OLD?!"
"Cause they're spoiling him before he can even realize it. Mom's an actor while Dad serves military. Hope my dad gets shot in his next one, maybe that'll make mom realize how selfish she is." Fruity said, as Okawa sighed and began to look outside.

"Why haven't you told us about them?"
"Well.. because I-"

Kamaye pushes a button and the roof opens, as Yuki slaps Kamaye in the shoulder. As Fruity keeps speaking, Kamaye keeps pushing buttons, hoping it'll put the roof back up. He pushes one button, as Kamaye's seat falls back all the way, as the headrest hits Okawa in the face.

"AUGH! You better fix this before I throw you out of this car!"

Kamaye sits up and presses a button, as the roof closes, Yuki can hear Fruity again.

"And that's why we don't hook up with celebrities."
"..what?"

Meanwhile..

"We're here!" Kanashi says, as he turns off the car and they all step outside. 
"This is your place, Noa?" Kokoru asked, as they looked at the 4 story condo, as Noa opened the door with the key.

"Yep. This condo was abandoned once the bombs hit, nobody bothered coming in because of how strict security was. I took this key off of some douchebag after this place became a warzone." Noa said, as Kokoru looked away.

Noa opened the door and turned on the lights, as the sun began to rise.

"Holy.." Momoru said, as Kanashi chuckled and sits down on the couch. Kokoru admires the painting in the living room, as Momoru walks with Noa to the bedrooms.

"So how many bedrooms do we have?"
"Two."

"..So you're getting one, what about us?"
"We'll see.."

Momoru stared at the ground, as Kanashi sits upright.

"So how many bedrooms are there?"
"2."
"Who's getting it?" Kokoru asks, as he looks away from the art.

"..Noa decides."

"..NOA, DO YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING?" Kanashi said, as Momoru pushes Kanashi into a vase, shattering it. Kanashi stands up and runs to Noa's bedroom. Kokoru sighs and picks up a broom and dustpan, as he begins to clean up after the two.

Meanwhile..

"So, how big is this 'Apartment' of yours?" Okawa asked, as Yuki pulled Kamaye out of the sports car.
"Not that big, considering it's for a 4 year old." Fruity said, as he steps out of the car.

Okawa's jaw drops, as they all look at the size of just the backyard.

"NOT THAT BIG?!" Kamaye shouted, as Yuki ran to the door. 

As she opened it, she viewed the spacious rooms, as Kamaye fell to the ground in amazement.

"..FIRST TO THE BED WINS 20 BUCKS!" Kamaye shouts, as Yuki looks over.
"YOU'RE ON!"
"OH, YOU'RE ALL GONNA LOSE!" Okawa shouts, as he climbs up the stairs.

Fruity chuckles and walks over to the living room, as he sits down on the couch.

Yuki and Kamaye play tag, as Okawa watches them from the top of the stairs. Kamaye dodges Yuki's hand, as he bumps into Okawa, as Okawa trips and lands on the vase, breaking it.

Fruity sighs, as he turns on a vacuum, and begins to vacuum the crumbs. 

Simultaneously..

"I'm going out to do some business, who's going?" Noa asked, as Kanashi enthusiastically jumps up. 
"Kanashi, we're bringing the car, you're driving." Noa said, as Kanashi bopped up and ran to the car.

Momoru, looking beat, sits next to Kokoru. Kokoru cycles through the pages of a magazine, as Momoru drinks an energy drink.

"Welcome to the club."
"How are you not tired, you've been cleaning up after us for a while?" Momoru asked, as Kokoru chuckled.

"You pushed Kanashi into the vase, he bled in the kitchen while patching himself up, I can't clean that one up, so you're up." Kokoru said, as he tossed Momoru a mop.

While Momoru was mopping up blood, he started small talk.

"So, is there anyone else you guys know that I'd have to know?"

"Well.. there's Yuki, this girl I bullied, then there's Okawa.."
"Okawa..?"
"He's a piece of work, that's all I'll say. He messed me up real bad a couple weeks ago." Kokoru said, as Momoru stopped moping.

"You? The great Koko-chan, the man of the ring, the winner of every street fight I've ever seen, lost to a short-circuit named Okawa?"

"Yeah, it's weird to think of, but he hits like he had nothing left to live for." Kokrou said, as Momoru chuckled.

Meanwhile..

"Me and Okawa are gonna go shopping, now that we have enough money to afford another house!" Yuki said, as Fruity sweats from picking up the glass that they all broke.

Suddenly, he hears a loud crash. He runs outside to see Kamaye, knocked out, in the sports car, while the sports car looked completely wrecked.

Fruity ran to Kamaye and pulled him out of the car wreck, as he slammed him awake. 

"Huh? What happened?"
"Heh, I'm actually kind of glad you did that. Now GET INSIDE AND CLEAN UP EVERYTHING YOU'VE MESSED UP!" Fruity shouted, as Kamaye stood up.

"Why me?! I barely di-"

Fruity showed Kamaye his hands, bleeding and cut from glass and porcelain that they kept breaking. Kamaye scratched his head and walked inside, as the two begin to clean up the rest of the house.

"Wait a second.. where's Fuben?"
"We told him to ride in the trunk, right?" Kamaye said, as Fruity sighed.

"How messed up are the buttons in the front? The only way to open the trunk is by using the buttons in the front."
"Uh.."

Fruity and Kamaye ran outside, Fruity grabbed a crowbar and tried to pry it open, as Kamaye tried lifting it with his bare hands.

As they managed to make a gap, Kamaye looks inside, only to see Fuben, gagged and with his ankles and wrists tied. He was holding something, as Kamaye jerks out of the way.

A piece of painted orange metal peeks out the hole in the trunk, as Fruity backs up. Fuben begins to stomp on the orange metal, as Kamaye noticed something.

"THE FRONT! IT'S SMOKING!"
"Dammit.. HELP FUBEN!" Fruity said, as he grabbed the crowbar and kept pulling. As Kamaye lifted, the back opened a little more, as Fuben dropped the metal piece and began lifting with his hands. As they kept lifting, Kamaye noticed it began to light on fire, as he realized what they had to do.

"PUSH!"
"NO!"
"IT'S JUST FUBEN!" Kamaye said, as he began to push on the car. Fuben pulled and tugged the car, as the trunk finally opened. Fruity threw Fuben out of the way and finally pushed on the car, as the car fell down into a ditch and the 3 covered their ears.

As it exploded, Kamaye untied him and ungagged him.
"Sorry.."
"Shut up." Fruity said, as Fuben walked inside the house.

As Kamaye showered off rubble and dust, Fruity sat on the top floor of the mansion. Fuben walked out of the shower, as he wrapped a towel around his waist. As he walked over to Fruity, he looked at his eyes.

"Y'know, you're in my room."
"Oh, sorry. I'll leave now."

"Nah, it's fine. Something's bothering you, I can see it in your eyes." Fuben said, as he sat down.
"How are you that good at reading people??"
"When it's your only talent, you learn to perfect it. It's love too, you're concerned for someone you love. Let's think, Akira's taken, so is Yuki, and Shizuka- Hoho, you wouldn't dare. So it's gotta be a guy, and the other three guys are already taken, so..?" Fuben said, as Fruity chuckled.

"You're good. It's Kokoru, my boyfriend-but-not-really. I'm worried for his safety. If he doesn't make it back safe.. I won't have anyone-" Fruity said, as Fuben slapped his head.

"Are you dense? I might not count as much, but you have Kamaye, Yuki, Okawa, all the others I don't know of! Hell, if you guys get taken out, I'd probably off myself! You're all I have, I hope you understand that." Fuben said, as Fruity stood up.

"You count just as much as the others, bud. But still, you slap me like that again, I'll throw you off this balcony." Fruity said, as Fuben chuckled and walked back inside.

Meanwhile..

"So this is American TV?" Kokoru asked, as Momoru chuckled.
"You stay in the states for nearly a year, you see the TV a little differently." Momoru said, as the door slams open.

"Oh, welcome back! Oh.. you look like you need a shower." Kokoru said, as Momoru looks over at the two.

Kanashi was dusty and had ash all over himself, and Noa looked untouched, with messed up hair and a lipstick kiss on her cheek.

"..Yeah we don't wanna talk about it." Noa said, as she walked to the room. 
Suddenly, she screamed, as everyone turned to look at her.

"THERE'S A RACCOON IN THE ROOM!" 

Kanashi ran and slid on the floor, kicking the raccoon into the wall. He picked it up with his foot and kicked it out the window.

"Oh my god, next time don't scream so loud. So, who's getting the room?" Momoru asked, as Noa rubbed her chin.

"Kokoru."

"I'm going to steal your blankets and sleep on the couch, Kokoru." Momoru said, as Kokoru shrugged and walked into the room.

As Kanashi made his way to the door, Noa stopped him.

"Y'know, I have more blankets in storage, you could sleep on the floor if you want."

Kanashi looked over at Momoru, as he gave him a thumbs up. 

"Momoru doesn't want me in the living room, so I guess I can sleep here."

Momoru chuckled, as Kokoru tossed him a blanket. 

As he slept on the couch, he chuckled and fell asleep.

Meanwhile..

"Have you had any luck?" Akira asks, as Shizuka sat on a pile of money. Akira laughed, as Shizuka made it rain.

As Akira looked over at Rhed, Shizuka looked at him too.

Rhed twitched his finger.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

610 4 81
This is a Clash that would Break and Mend your Heart.
868 25 8
An orphaned pair of brothers, (Y/N) and Kage gone orphan get picked up by the greatest threat to the world. They got molded into great fighters, but...
2.2K 87 11
(Same universe as The Brutal Life of a Delinquent) Two people from rivaling dojos one day fall in love. Due to both dojo's having a long time hatred...
10.8K 405 29
Seven years have passed. Chihiro has lost all memories of her time in the Spirit World, but they haven't forgotten her. When you're young, so many th...