Dochor, The Dragonborn

By umbrabeech

This is the backstory of my Dungeons and Dragons: Dochor. I've always wanted to play D&D. Before I even start... More

Nightmares
City life
A turn of events
A much needed talk
A haunting past

Two years later

2 1 1
By umbrabeech

I wake up from the sound of a rooster, slowly I open my eyes and see the noise maker sitting in the open bedroom window. I groan and cover my head with the pillow, again the rooster cackles his lungs out. Out of frustration I get up.

"How did you even get here?" I sigh.

I pick up the rooster and look outside, the sun is shining bright and there are a couple of clouds in the sky. From my window I see the busy streets, I hear some noise from next door and my neighbour opens her bedroom window. She looks outside, a bit stressed.

"Morning Sarah." I say "Everything alright?"

"Oh good morning Dochor, have you seen our ro..." she stops mid sentence as she looks at me.

"Yup, right here" I say as I hold up the rooster. We laugh a bit.

"I'll meet you downstairs, okay" Sarah says

"I am on my way" I laugh

With the rooster under my arm and in the other hand a basket, I walk downstairs and open the front door. Sarah is already outside her house, standing in the open door frame. I walk towards her and give Sarah her rooster.

"I am so sorry Dochor, did he wake you? Sarah asks.

"Yeah he did, but no worries." I say "I had to go to the market anyway to pick up some stuff. Do you guys need anything?"

"Ummm..." Sarah turns around "Hon? Do we need anything from the market? Dochor asked."

Sarah her husband appears from the kitchen.

"Morning Finn" I say

"Morning Dochor" Says Finn "We could use some wheat flour and fresh cream" And he goes back to the kitchen.

"Hon!" Sarah yells.

Finn his head pops out from the kitchen "Thank you Dochor". His head disappears again.

"Sorry, he is not really a morning person." Sarah apologizes

"Oh don't worry about it" I say "I'll be back in a flash."

"Before you go, have you heard anything from Gundren?" Sarah asks.

"Nope." I say "He is gone for like three months now. You know how he is, that guy comes and goes."

"That is true." Sarah laughs a bit "But don't you feel lonely sometimes, you know, alone in his house?"

"Not at all!" I smile "Most of the time, I am not even here. To be honest, the only thing I do here is sleep and eat. Well I am off, see you guys later."

I put my hands behind my head and make my way to the market. As I make my way down the street, multiple good mornings head my way. In the distance I can see three children running towards me, as they come closer I can hear them screaming my name. I rescue their cat Biscuit almost every week out of a tree, they keep scaring it.

"Oh no..." I sigh

As they approach me one of the kids starts talking

"Where are you going Dochor?"

"Good morning" I say "It is not polite to not say hello first."

"Good morning!" The kids yell

"Better." I say

"So where are you going?" the oldest asks

"The market" I say.

"Can we come?" The youngest asks

"Ummm."

"Please!" The kids yell together

"Okay, fine" I say as I roll my eyes

"Can you carry us? The youngest asks

"Sure" I sigh "If one of you carries the basket."

I squat down and spread my arms and the oldest and middle grab my arms, the youngest walks behind me and jumps on my back. I get back up and make my way further down the street to the market, the whole time the kids are cheering and screaming.

When we arrive at the market (finally), the kids jump off and start running towards their mom who stands near a fruit stand. She gets on her knees and welcomes her children with a hug, when she looks at me she gives me a smile and a wave. I wave back, pick up the basket and make my way into the crowd.

As I'm about to pay for the wheat flour for Finn and Sarah, someone taps me on the shoulder. When I turn around, I see a familiar face.

"Dre? I say surprised

"Hi Dochor" His voice got a bit deeper. "It has been some time."

"Yeah." I say "Two years I think."

"Yup" Dre says

"So... how have you been?" I aks

"Alright" Dre mutters "You know, still doing illegal shit. What about you?"

"Great! To be honest, leaving all that behind was one of the best choices I ever made." I say

"That is nice." Dre sighs "What have you been doing, since you left the basement?"

"All sorts of things." I say "I had multiple jobs, from working at a blacksmith to a bakery to a farm. I visited House Minerva a couple of times, and even learned some sign language from Julia. Sometimes I even helped the knights outside the walls to fend off some goblins, and of course help whoever and wherever I can. I even worked here on this market..."

"Julia? House Minerva? Like the rich family?" Dre asks with widened eyes.

"Oh right.. that night." When I explained everything that happened that night to Dre, I say "I am sorry I wa..."

"Don't" Dre stops me "Pears never showed up. I think it was a trap anyway, still have your poison tho" He holds the vial of dried poison in his hand.

"Why do you still have it anyway?" I ask

"Don't know..." Dre says. He tries to hand me the vial

"Well, keep it" I smile "Might come in handy"

"Yeah... who knows" Dre smiles

"Hey I have to go, sorry. I say "Take care, okay and please do not get yourself killed."

"Can't promise anything" he gives me a wink

We shake hands, I pay for the flour and we walk in different directions. As I take a look back, he also turns around. For a moment we stare at each other, he gives me a smile and walks away. Not much later he disappears into the busy market street.

"So long, friend." I say to myself. With a full basket, I make my way back to Gundren's house.

I delivered the wheat and the fresh cream to Sarah. When I open the door to Gundren his house, to my surprise he is sitting at the diner table.

"Aah Dochor, there you are!" Gundren laughs "I was wondering where you were."

"Oh hey Gundren. I went to the market for breakfast" I hold up the basket. "You hungry?"

"I am starving, what's on the menu?" Gundren asks

"Pancakes and bacon." I say as I unpack the basket "Oh and eggs."

"Lovely" Gundren smiles "You always make the best pancakes."

Not much later the dining table is set, a stack of pancakes in the middle surrounded by fried eggs and bacon. Just as I'm about to eat my first bite, I yawn.

"Are you sleeping well enough?" Gundren asks

"I am" I say with a mouth full of pancakes.

"Any nightmares?" Gundren raises one eyebrow

I shake my head "Nope."

"That is what I like to hear." Gundren smiles

As we continue our breakfast, we talk about all sorts of things, like what has happened in the city while Gundren was out of town, about my current job at the flower store and what happened this morning with the rooster. We both laugh, but Gundren changes the subject.

"Dochor?" Gundren asks

"Hmm" I say

"Do you remember when I said, I may had a chance for you to see more of the world?" Gundren asks

"I did, that was the night we met." I say

"Well, I have one." Gundren smiles, "And I could really use your help."

"Really?!" My eyes widened

"The reason why I was gone for so long, is because I have met up with an old friend of mine. He wanted to talk about the Lost Mine of Phandelver, a rich dwarf mine full of valuable resources. I can't get into much detail, all I can say is something about a map that may leads to the cave and a blocked entrance. My friend really could use your help. He is afraid others might find the cave first." Gundren says in a serious tone.

"Sounds like an adventure!" I say "I am in!'

"Great! And thank you." Gundren says "I knew I could count on you. But you are not the only one who will be joining. I know some more people who want to help. How do you work in a group?"

"Okay I think" I say "Might be a bit awkward at first but still."

"Sounds good enough to me." Gundran laughs

I laugh a bit as well

Gundran pulls out a map, and points to a town nearby the city and says. "At this town's inn you will meet my friend and your fellow group members. Again Dochor, thank you."

"I should be thanking you Gundren, for everything you have done for me, this is the least I can do." I say

Gundren gets up from his seat and lays his hand on my shoulder.

"I know you'll do great things out there Dochor, show the world who you are and what you're made off." Gundren says

"I will!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 77 105
This is basically a second part to my Individual RP book. I'm moving all of my Fandom Related OC's here to make space in my other book.
2.7K 105 51
Krinna's story is my first fanfic and is based on my first playthrough in VR. I'd played Skyrim so many times on other systems by then, I got the ide...
1.8K 18 6
"i thought it was a bird but it was just a paper bag." ❪ a book for my ocs because i love them! ❫
2.3K 2 119
A cult wanted him dead, a war threatened to destroy his home and take away his daughter, a severe head injury stole his memories, he became rich off...