Second Chances (Ricky + Nini)

By anonymouslizard2021

After a huge fight, Nini and Ricky break up, and they go their separate ways. But do second chances really ex... More

chapter 1 - it's brutal out here
chapter 2 - the mess i made when you were mine
chapter 3 - if you're out there, I hope that ur ok
chapter 4 - i hope you're happy but don't be happier
chapter 5 - i just can't imagine how you could be so okay
chapter 6 - it's only a matter of time
chapter 7 - one step forward, three steps back
chapter 8 - something in the air
chapter 9 - a moment to begin again
chapter 10 - if i could go back and change the past
chapter 12 - i'm the love of your life until i make you mad
chapter 13 - i'm done pretending i want anyone else
chapter 14 - cocomparison is killing me slowly
chapter 15 - meet me in the middle of midnight
chapter 16 - even when you and i are miles apart, i hold you in my heart
chapter 17 - i think i kinda you know
chapter 18 - stupid, emotional, obsessive little me
chapter 19 - when we're underneath the lights
chapter 20 - you're probably with that blonde girl who always made me doubt
chapter 21 - out of the old, i gotta find my own
chapter 22 - everything's changin' within me
chapter 23 - i thought we had more time
chapter 24 - what if i'm everything that i will ever need
chapter 25 - it's rare that something feels this right
chapter 26 - oh the things i did
chapter 27 - look where we ended up
chapter 28 - it'll be okay with you by my side
chapter 29 - the perfect gift
chapter 30 - always dreamed it's you and me until the end
chapter 31 - you're doin' great out there without me
chapter 32 - all i ever wanted was to be enough for you
chapter 33 - close the book before it turns to tragedy
chapter 34 - now i drive alone past your street
chapter 35 - i've lost my mind, i've spent the night crying
chapter 36 - you ran to her the second that we called it quits
chapter 37 - the courage to unlearn all of the hatred
chapter 38 - you've been workin on yourself
chapter 39 - all i left behind's got me feelin so torn
chapter 40 - be a little braver than i had
chapter 41 - i say that i'm through but this song's still for you
chapter 42 - do you get de ja vu?
chapter 43 - something in the summer wind
chapter 44 - there's someone in my life that makes it all worthwhile
epilogue
sequel

chapter 11 - jealousy, jealousy

609 13 2
By anonymouslizard2021

[a/n :  hi guys, hope everyone is doing well. I'm trying to update this story everyday, and I hope you're enjoying it. Hopefully this will help us get through the hsmtmts drought for the next year or so haha.. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.]

Ricky woke up feeling much better than he did yesterday. He still had a cold, but his fever had gone completely, and he dreamt that a certain brown-eyed girl had kissed him last night. He walked into the kitchen to find a bottle of tylenol and a post-it note on the dining table. He smiled as he recognized Nini's handwriting. 

There's some soup leftover in the fridge and here's some tylenol just in case. 
Hope you feel better, Bowen. :)  Text me if you need anything. 
xx
Nini 

So it hadn't been a fever dream after all. Nini really was here all night taking care of him. He was smiling like an idiot, and kept reading the note over and over again. Throughout their relationship, Ricky had always been a baby when he was sick, and he had to admit that he sometimes enjoyed it because she would devote all her time for him. He pulled out his phone and sent her a text to thank her. He felt like it wasn't enough though. He wanted to do something special for her. 
____ 

Nini, EJ and Kourtney were having lunch, while plotting and scheming. Well, Nini and Kourtney were plotting and scheming, EJ was kind of just sucked into this whole thing, and didn't really have a choice. Nini and Kourtney were planning to introduce EJ to the new girl in Kourtney's team, and EJ was pretending he wasn't interested. 

"Okay, so her name is Gina, she's super passionate about fashion, and she's also really funny and down to earth." Kourtney explained, showing EJ a picture of Gina. 

"I don't know, Kourt. I'm probably not her type. We seem very different." EJ pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. He was insecure about dating, and he was especially nervous in front of pretty girls. Pretty girls normally wanted to be just friends with him, but not date him. The two girls in front of him were living proof of that. 

This was Nini's cue. She was the queen of pep talks, and she knew EJ needed one right now. He was a great guy, and if he just got over his own nerves long enough to actually carry out a conversation he would be a pro at dating. 

"You won't know unless you actually meet her." Nini said, "EJ, you're like one of the nicest guys I know, you're thoughtful and kind. Just talk to her like you talk to us, and see how you feel about each other." 

"That's different." EJ said, "Do you know how nervous I was to meet you for the first time, Nini? I talked about toner for 20 minutes?! I was so relieved when you said you wanted to be friends. Dating's just not my thing." It was true. Whenever he thought about pursuing someone romantically, he became extremely anxious, but when they friendzoned him, he felt the pressure lifted from his shoulders. 

"Okay, but I can tell you like her EJ, and I think it's worth the shot." Nini said, "Look, do you trust us?" 

EJ sighed, "Oddly enough I do." 

"Okay. So if you both end up liking each other, then maybe you'll take another step, if not then you'll have a new friend. But you won't have either one unless you 

"Okay. So if you both end up liking each other, then maybe you'll take another step, if not then you'll have a new friend. But you won't have either one unless you meet her and talk to her, right?" Nini asked.

"I hate to say it, but yes, you're right." EJ rolled his eyes, "But that still doesn't change the fact that I just suck at dates."

"We got you covered dude.." Kourtney said confidently, "Look, let's meet up at Nini's tonight, and we'll prep you for tomorrow."

Nini nodded in agreement and looked at EJ pleadingly, and he finally relented and agreed.

______

After work, Nini, Kourtney and EJ got some take out, and headed off to Nini's place. Nini and Kourtney weren't kidding when they said they got it covered. They were like a dream team. Kourtney was giving EJ fashion advice, telling him what to wear, and how to style his hair, while Nini prepped him on conversation topics, and techniques to keep himself calm. The two girls had always worked well together ever since college. They always had the best grades in class, but also thrived in the social scene, because they were experts at cramming for tests. Currently, they were helping EJ cram for his first meeting with Gina tomorrow.

EJ (and mostly Kourtney) had decided that he would keep it simple tomorrow and just wear a plaid shirt with jeans and some nice boots. Now it was time to quiz him on her interests. Nini and Kourtney had stalked Gina on her socials and found some useful intel. Gina's from Denver, she's a bit of a foodie, she likes 90's R&B, and she is definitely a dog person. 

"Okay Elton, so you pretty much know her interests in general, but remember don't pretend that you like something just because she likes it too. Use your knowledge to enrich your conversation but be genuine and don't sound like a stalker." Nini said, "And remember when in doubt talk about the puppies." 

EJ nodded, making mental notes of all the tips the girls have given him. 

"So, let's say you guys hit it off, how would you hint to her that you want to see her again, just the two of you?" Kourtney tested. 

"Umm.. I really like you, do you want to go out sometime? maybe we can get some risotto? Unless that makes you feel weird, we can ask the others to come with us obviously, or we can be friends." EJ started rambling, and this was just the practice. 

"Risotto?" Kourtney asked, "Also, you basically friend zoned her after asking her out.."

EJ sighed, putting his head in his hands. "I told you I'm awkward around girls, and I'm just gonna make a fool out of myself tomorrow." 

Nini tapped his shoulder. "EJ calm down. You just need to have some confidence and maybe a little practice. Let's pretend I'm Gina, and you're you." 
____ 

Ricky had spent the day preparing a special surprise for Nini. First, he was going to surprise her  with dinner, and then he had the perfect gift for her. He decided to get some Mexican food for the two of them, because he knew it was her favorite, another bouquet of roses, and a pint of strawberry ice cream of course. He was also planning on asking her out on a real date. They've gone out two times since he got to New York, but he hadn't officially called it a date, so it didn't count. Plus, he needed to move fast before the coworker guy asked her out himself. Last night proved to him that Nini still cared about him, and he needed her to know that he cared about her as well, that he loves her as much as he did four months ago. 

He took a deep breath and walked into her building. Making sure to fix his hair as he walked to her door. He could see that it was slightly ajar, and made a mental note to scold her for leaving the door open like that. She lived alone in New York and it wasn't exactly the safest place. He stopped dead in his tracks when he heard laughter coming from her apartment. Nini's laugh was always his favorite sound, but she wasn't laughing alone, someone was with her.. a man. Ricky probably should have turned around and gone home since she clearly had company. But he couldn't help himself. He had to know if it was him. 

As he got closer, his heart dropped, he could see that it was indeed the same guy he saw her with last week at the office. They were sitting in the couch and just talking, Ricky could not stop himself from eavesdropping. 

"I think we have a lot in common, and I'd really like to get to know you more." he said flirtatiously.

"I'd really like that too EJ." Nini smiled at him, "It's not that often that I find someone who I can really connect with, but I definitely want to get to know you too." 

"Great. So there's this show on Sunday that I've been wanting to go to for months. Would you maybe be interested? I'll send you the details later." 

"Sounds great." Nini beamed at him. 

Ricky felt his jaw clench at the way this dude was talking to his girl, then he remembered that Nini wasn't his girl anymore. He'd hurt her and now he was too late. What were the odds that this guy would ask her out on the same night as Ricky? Ricky couldn't compete with that. His heart began to question everything.. But Nini spent the entire night nursing him back to health, was that just an act of friendship then? They'd been friends since they were babies, they were practically family, she probably would always care for him as a friend. Ricky felt like he couldn't breathe, and quickly made his way outside for some air. 

As soon as the cold night air hit him, he felt tears pricking his eyes. He was so stupid to lose her the first time, and now it seemed like he would lose her forever. He threw the flowers and the food in the trash, and walked away with a broken heart.
______

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.2K 690 23
"i love the way you get me but correct me if i'm wrong , this is not a love song " In Which Two teens with an unresolved past try out for the schoo...
21.7K 507 25
ricky and nini were partners in training, and had grown up together as best friends along with their friends in their secret spy agency. they were in...
25.2K 663 69
Ricky Bowen, Nini Salazar-Roberts, E.J. Caswell, and Gina Porter are a group of friends that are part of a bigger group of friends. Their all enroll...
39.7K 921 46
When a heartbroken Nini is finally ready to hang out with her friends again, she realizes it's going to be a lot harder than what she prepared for. W...