Never Left Me (Completed)

By GenHope

"Even when we departed you never left me. I carried everything you said to me and did for me even when we wer... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four, Part One
Thirty-Four, Part Two
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy

Thirty-Five

9.7K 797 854
By GenHope

After a drive over four hours, Genesis is glad when he can see the big white wind turbines and the Apogee Stadium from the highway. That lets him know that they're closer to the University of North Texas. While taking in the view flashbacks flicker through his mind of his years in college. He remembers those days he'd be flying down this same highway from Dallas because he was trying to balance selling drugs and school. He remembers the crowd screaming as he played on that same field with the football team. It's bittersweet.

Gee's only broken out of his thoughts by Magenta and his brother, Seven, rapping a Youngboy Never Broke Again song as loud as they can. In the passenger seat, she dances as Seven does the same from the backseat. That's how they've been the entire ride. They've been going back and forth with songs swearing they have the best playlist and music taste of the two.

"I don't trust anyone's opinion born after the 2000's. What you know about this, youngblood?" Gen asks clicking on an old Boosie song. Not missing a beat Gee and Gen rap along word for word. It was one of their favorites on car rides from Denton to Choice's house back then.

This was the first time Gen and Seven have really been around each other since he moved to Texas. When Gee said he's making the road trip to their old college to help move him into his dorm, Magenta wasn't missing the chance to come. She hasn't been back to Denton since she graduated.

"Don't get mad 'cause you're old," Seven shoots an insult back making Gen gawk giving him the middle finger. He couldn't wait until he's passed her phone. "Yeah, yeah. This that shit," Seven plays a Moneybagg Yo song making her roll her eyes dramatically.

"I really don't see the hype. I can't get into his music," she pops a green Sour Patch Kid into her mouth.

"Ay, Sev, she doesn't like Lil Baby or Lil Durk," Gee looks in the rearview mirror knowing that's going to shock him.

"What?!" Seven stretches his neck back screwing up his face. "Nah, you trippin'. They're hard."

"They're alright. Their voices irritate me. Durk with the autotune and Baby just sounds like a goat."

"I bet if they wanted you to work for them regarding creative directing you'd do it," Gee laughs taking the exit.

"Hell yeah! Who wouldn't?" she keeps it honest looking out of the window taking in everything they pass. "Damn, it's changed a lot. They've built a lot of stuff."

"Which dorm building were you assigned?" Gee asks as they're driving into campus.

"Legends Hall. The address is-"

"Oh, I know the address. That was our old dorm building sophomore year," Gee makes a turn from memory.

They both look out of the window as they drive by the Union. "I used to be huffing and puffing walking around this campus. In the summer? That Texas heat. You should get a bike, rollerblades, a skateboard," Gen suggests right as they pull up.

They all get out and Gee and Gen look up. Under the dorm hall name it reads 222 West Highland Boulevard. Of course there's not going to be as many people moving in during the Spring semester as it would during the Fall. Like a tourist, Magenta holds her phone up to take a picture of the address numbers and post them on her story.

"I miss these days," she sighs nostalgically.

"Shit, I don't. I was fighting for my life while in college."

She chuckles knowing it's true. "But we had each other... Until you left me," she has to throw it in now being able to laugh at it.

"You won't let that go," he shakes his head as they go into the building, so Seven can check in.

For the next couple of hours they spend it helping Seven move in. Watching Magenta hang up a poster Gee thinks back to all the years he helped her move in. He's really wondering how she's been so calm with everything going on the court case. He's glad she is. It's better than seeing her clearly depressed or crying. Climbing down from Seven's lifted bed she notices him staring prompting her to ask, "What?"

"Nothing."

She does a small smile before stepping back to look at what they've done so far. "Are you sure you don't want more decorations? I can make a run to Target, Walmart, Ross," she looks at Seven who's putting clothes in his closet.

"I'm good," he laughs. "What more do I need besides sheets and towels?"

"Men are so simple. You live like cavemen. Whatever, then you're all moved in."

"Cool," Seven says nonchalantly. He sits at the desk and Gee's trying to read his face. For one, he can tell he doesn't look very excited.

"We're gonna go check into our hotel. If you need anything you can call or text me. Um," he looks at Magenta. "Can you go ahead to the car, so I can talk to him?"

"I'll go get the car since we're parked so far," she nods leaving them alone after Gee hands her the keys.

As soon as the door shuts Gee turns towards Seven who's tossing a football up then down. "I fuck with her," Seven nods awkwardly.

"Me too...I know this isn't ideal. I know this isn't what you want to do."

"It's not," he says firmly.

"All I'm asking is for you to do one semester. If you don't like the football program, the coaches, or the team, fine. You can quit the team and I'll pay out of pocket, but you have to go to school. You just need to stay out of the way for awhile."

"I really don't get how you're trying to force me to go to college and play football when you went through the same shit of clearly not wanting to do it," Seven picks at the laces on the football.

"I didn't go through the same shit," Gee says adamantly. "Stupid decisions might've been the reason I was kicked off the team and had to leave school like you. I was in my junior year this close to entering the NFL draft. No second second chance. You're 18, about to be 19. You need to take this opportunity for what it is before you ruin your life. You have me who can pay for your college out of pocket. I didn't have that. I had myself and selling drugs when I lost my scholarship."

"And because I have options I should be happy with being forced into something?" Seven smacks his lips.

"What the fuck do you want, Seven?! What else are you gonna do? Sell drugs and run the streets until you end up dead or in jail?" He asks feeling like he sounds exactly like their father after Gee was arrested. "I'm risking everything to save you. You're going to be at this school and you're going to enjoy it," he says giving no other option.

"Fine," Seven says faintly.

"Make friends. It's the best thing you can do in college," Gee wipes over his face thinking about Magenta and even Destin. "This can either be the best or worst time of your life. You determine that. Either way you learn from it." Gee stands up adding, "If you want to come back to Houston during Spring break let me know. We can get you a flight or bus ticket."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Don't look so fuckin' sad. Come on," he motions for him to get up. "You'll be alright. You figure it out. You feel lost at first then you find a place," he hugs him.

Seven shakes his head looking down. "I'm always going to be lost without Daddy," he mumbles.

Gee takes a swallow feeling a lump forming. "He's always with you. Never left... Just like you would call him at any small inconvenience, you can still do it. He's listening. I talk to him all the time." Seven nods and he releases his brother saying, "Love you, boy."

"Love you too."

"Me and Magenta will come by in the morning before we hit the road. You're on your own now," he smiles before exiting the dorm room.

Walking out of the building he shakes his head hearing the sound of music thumping before he actually sees his car. Magenta parked by the curb, so he makes his way over pulling on the driver's door handle as she still sits behind the wheel. "I can't drive?" she asks not moving.

"Hell naw. You see I didn't let you drive at the halfway point. I don't trust you that much with my car." She smacks her lips climbing to the passenger seat rather than getting out and walking around. "Ay, be careful! This is Alcantara leather," he warns her. He shakes his head at her Rick Owens sneakers digging into it before she plops into the passenger side.

"Everything okay?" She asks once he's in the car.

"Yeah, all good. He'll be okay. Which hotel are we staying at?"

"Embassy Suites. Let's ride by our old apartments first."

They make the short drive to the off-campus apartments they stayed in their junior year. Parking his car they both get out looking around. The last time he was here was when he had to move out and go back to Kentucky.

"I miss $600 rent," Magenta sighs. She doesn't miss having roommates though, especially Amil.

"Damn," Gee says quietly reminiscing for a second before leaning against his car.

"I'm still trippin' off the fact you left a letter. Who the fuck leaves a letter? It was 2017. You could've sent a text. That would've been faster. Nooo, you had to be dramatic as hell," she laughs.

"You know I had to make my dramatic exit."

"I still have the letter," she admits standing next to him.

"Really? I thought you would've torn it up then shredded it for extra measure," he chuckles.

"Naw. Kept the letter, every card, and note you ever gave me. Every picture we took together... in case I never saw you again. I have it in a filing cabinet in my craft room," she sighs making her chest go high then settle. She points at the window for her room in the apartment on the second floor. "Remember you'd be throwing rocks at my window when I wouldn't answer my phone?"

"Cause you used to act like you didn't want to open the door for me."

"Yo ass would never be on campus. Then you would just pop up at my place at night after running the streets doing whatever it is you were doing," she rolls her neck with attitude making him laugh.

"That's when I was on that heavy." With a smile he adds, "We did a lot of fuckin' in that room. I was a good ass side nigga."

"No, you weren't. You couldn't keep your mouth shut!"

"Shit, I wasn't about to be a secret. Dick that good needs to be revealed, especially for that bitch ass nigga you were with. Whatever happened to him? Caleb?" He snaps his fingers.

"Uh, he got back with his ex after I was done with him. He was really putting his hands on her to the point she transferred schools. He had another domestic violence situation with another girl and it ruined his draft chances to the NBA. He had to go play overseas in China."

"Damn. That's what he gets. We done here?"

"Yup," she says as he opens the car door for her and she gets in.

While driving to their hotel Magenta randomly asks, "Have you thought about living somewhere other than Texas?"

He shrugs. "I've lived in a couple places. I'm clearly not against living somewhere new other than my hometown. I think I just got used to Texas. It's comfortable now. Why?"

"I don't know. Thinking..."

"I still have my place in Atlanta, but I'm about to get rid of it. No use in paying rent every month for a place I'm never at."

"You should keep it," she says making Gee arch his eyebrow.

"You tryna move or something?"

"I've thought about it. You know, a new start. I've never lived outside of Texas. At the same time I would be scared to leave. Not having family, friends, getting used to new places."

"That's the one thing that keeps people stuck...Fear. Sometimes you just need new scenery. I always told myself I'ma buy a ranch or compound where nobody can bother me. Have some kids and animals not worried about a thing. That's why I work so hard now, so then I can retire early."

"Oh my God," she says with giddy excitement. "I've always wanted a farm, so I can have an Alpaca and a miniature horse! They're so cute," she squeals making Gee's eyes widen before laughing.

"Then it looks like we gotta get you that Alpaca and a mini horse. I just don't want any gooses. I don't fuck with those."

"It's not gooses, it's geeses," she goes along with it quoting the video as they both laugh. Once the moment dies down she decides to ask, "You find out anything regarding the business and Kross or Destin?"

"I found out a lot actually. I got a hold of the corporation papers and I realized that Kross or Destin or both, recently set up a different company that's independent of the parent company with the same name."

"You can do that?"

"Someone can form LLCs and businesses in other states that have the same name as yours. I originally set it up in Atlanta. This one is in Miami. They clearly went through some loopholes because I own the name and the trademark is under my name."

"So it's infringement, right? What're you going to do?"

"The obvious thing would be suing, but that's not enough. From what I heard Kross has been trying to take all the credit for the business. He always liked the spotlight and wanted it only for himself. He was always the one more into the industry parties and being in the camera. He liked being seen with artists, music videos, going to award shows, and doing interviews. Funny, because this was my idea."

"That's fucked up. How did you guys even go into business together?"

"After I left school Destin and I kept in contact. You know he was into the club promoting thing back then. He offered me money to start a business. He decided to invest in me and I brought Kross in on it. But Kross had a couple cases looming over his head at the time. He had like four or five for drugs and guns. Destin brought in his connections to a high power attorney and was able to get rid of them for Kross. I came up with a business plan and we worked towards it."

"Damn, that's a lot of cases. All of them just gone?"

"Gone. They all got dismissed. Those Jewish lawyers don't play. Because he had so much legal trouble Kross didn't and doesn't have his name in the corporation. I own three of the five recording studios we have. Mostly everything's in my name. Destin was supposed to be a silent partner, while Kross and I did the upfront managing of the company."

"If mostly everything's in your name wouldn't Kross be stupid to snake you out?"

"It would be. That's why he's sticking by Destin. After Kross got off on all his charges he felt like he owed Destin loyalty because he could've been in prison for life even though it was my connection that allowed them to even meet... The person who originally brought them together," he shakes his head.

"It probably helps Destin comes from money. He's going with the white and powerful."

"Definitely helps," Gee scoffs bitterly. Destin's Dad is a hall of fame baseball player. His Dad's a manager for the Yankee's right now. Two world series rings. Played for the Yankees, Dodgers, White Sox, and Rangers. They have long money. Destin has a trust fund on top of his own career. He always had connections and major pull. That's why Kross chose that side.

"So, wait? They created another company without you? What do you think they're going to do? Let you have the old one and ride off into the sunset?"

"Nah, they're planning something worse. Kross has been making a play to be Destin's partner. I heard they're trying to create a multimedia company with management, film production, and annual festivals. There's a rumor that Kross is trying to get a business deal with Interscope without me. My friend said they're trying to push me out. Probably come together making them the majority shareholder then vote me out."

"Then Kross has something of his own since everything's in your name."

"Exactly. Soon as the money came in they switched up on me. He could've just said he wants to do his own thing. I'd respect that more," Gee breathes out. "You know, right before Quez died he fell out with Kross," he mentions his best friend who was killed his freshman year of college.

"Why?"

"I tried to get him to tell me why and what happened, but he wouldn't. I asked if he wanted me to stop fuckin' with him. You know how it is especially when you're younger. If your friend doesn't fuck with someone, you don't either. Quez said it was my decision because we were all close friends. He'd understand if I didn't, but he cut he off Kross. That was in the summer after we graduated high school. I really didn't care because I knew I was moving to Texas for college. Half of us were going out of state for school and the other half were gonna work while still living in Kentucky because they didn't have that opportunity. Kross was the latter half. He never fucked with school and he didn't play a sport. He got a regular job and sold drugs on the side helping take care of his sick mother," Gee details as they sit at a red light.

He keeps going, "Once I got to school I started talking to my friends from back home less and less. I talked to Kross occasionally because he'd check on my mama for me. It didn't help my parents weren't letting me come home for breaks. The first spring break Quez goes home and ends up dead."

"You think he had something to do with that?"

"Shit, I don't know. Who knows. All I know is I'm done being too trusting..." After checking in to the hotel they decide to go to Alamo Drafthouse Cinema across the street. They both need something to get their minds off everything.

A Few Days Later...

Genesis wasn't surprised when his probation officer called and said he needs to come see her. The video of his altercation with Caprice has now been seen by millions. Walking into the office he sighs when hearing, "Come on back for me, Genesis."

He enters the small room where it's his probation officer and a man in a suit. "This is a D.A., Michael Cofield. He's going to be sitting in on this."

Gee watches her shut the door noticing there's no knob on it. He never saw it before because she usually keeps the door open. They have it this way in case someone tries to run and escape. His first assumption is they're going to arrest him.

Sitting in the chair his foot bounces up and down anxiously waiting for one of them to speak. A small slither of fear sets through his body thinking he's about to go to prison when he only has a few weeks left on his probation.

"Do you know what this is about?" His P.O., Shandra, asks.

"Yeah, the fight."

"Correct. It was a violation of your probation. You're here today because they decided to do an investigation into the case. Whatever they find will be given to the Harris County Attorney's Office, who will decide on whether to file any criminal charges against you," she informs him.

"Based on video evidence, cops think there's enough to charge you. We interviewed Caprice and we asked him what he thinks should happen," the D.A. starts. "He said it was up to us. Whatever punishment we see fit, is what he said."

Gee grinds his teeth uttering, "Okay." He's really thinking, That bitch.

"We have 3 options... File charges, reject the case, or call you in for an informal office hearing where we can impose certain conditions for the case to go away. That could be attending anger management classes, rehab, something like that. You're on the tail end of your probation, so it's possible we could reimpose your original sentence and make you serve the whole 5 years," Michael states.

"Basically, you have a case hanging over your head, so act like it. No more trouble or incidents to make this worse than it already is," his P.O. adds. "Until we find out what will be done stay away from Caprice as well. I know he's signed to your company, but it's for the best." She looks at the D.A. then at Gee. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he says with annoyance.

"I read in the blogs you're dating someone who's accusing him of sexual assault. Is that why you did this?" Instead of answering he stays silent. Even if it's on video, answering is like admitting to it. It was a dark and packed club, so he could still say it wasn't him. "I get it. We'll call you when we find out what they choose to do."

With a sigh Gee stands up to leave. Great, now he has to wonder if he's going to jail or not. He's regretting letting his anger get the best of him. He always knew this was a possibility, but he wasn't thinking.

At a Houston recording studio that Gee owns he paces back and forth. He originally came to check on one of his artist, but that was hours ago. Now he's here talking to Cortlen. More like angrily ranting...

"I did my time. Never had any issues my whole probation. Who are they to take my life and freedom away? Can't nobody say I'm on their paperwork telling. I lost money, but made it all back and then some. I'm cool with that because the lifestyle I chose back then, but I changed. I figured out another way to make money. What gives him the right?" He talks about Caprice.

"You're on probation. You kindaaa knew this could've happened," Cort speaks only to be ignored by Gee who keeps going. "Well, okay," He mumbles.

"Caprice knows why it happened. You on the phone talkin' big shit, straight wolfin', but when I beat yo ass you want me in jail? I never met such a bitch made nigga in my life. He thinks he's untouchable. I don't know anybody I would want in prison. I don't hate anyone that bad. That nigga, Caprice? Can rot. He's facing life and I hope he gets all that time. These people tryna help him repair his image and upholding this piece of shit ass person like he's somebody. Let that nigga drown for all I care. His career can go to shit. He can go broke. The nigga could die and I wouldn't care."

"I can't believe he gave a statement all the shit he says in his raps."

"Niggas lyin' and never been on shit. Talkin' street, but the only savage thing they've done is touch women. Cowards," he flops onto the leather couch. "I vowed after I got shot that I would be forgiving to anybody who hurt me. I vowed to forgive myself for anybody I hurt, but people keep coming around trying to test me. Everybody wanna come at me, so let them come!"

"When you go around certain people and bring them around, you need to realize who you're standing next to... Who you're getting involved with," Cort blows out air.

Gee looks over at Cortlen realizing he hasn't given him the chance to talk as if he doesn't have his own problems. "Have you talked to Choice since Miami?"

"Nah. He went back to Austin clearly trying to throw himself into work to avoid me and ChaCha. He needs space. I understand."

"How did Felicity even know?"

"I told her right after it happened out of guilt. I should've told Choice before she could ever blurt it out like that. Drika asked me not to, so I just went with it. I went to prison and thought it wasn't important anymore," he sighs.

"It did only happen once, right?" Gee asks the million dollar question.

"Yeah, once. We knew it was wrong... I'm not even gonna lie I used to be jealous of Choice."

"Why?" Gee furrows his eyebrows.

"Maybe 'cause he always had Chandrika. They could breakup a million times and their relationship could be confusing, but were still best friends. Always close. Meanwhile, I'm in and out of juvenile detention centers, boot camps, and jail. You can't keep relationships like that. They're gonna leave and I didn't blame them. I'm in my thirties and can't say I've had a successful adult relationship. I chose the streets over everything else."

"Hm, I can relate to that. I've been there."

"Now what do I have to show for it? Imagine being the oldest of four and your father goes to prison.. My main objective is helping my mother and siblings. I made sacrifices for them, but I did it because I wanted to. Now I have nothing. No home, wife, children, career, nothing. All I had was family and this shit is in shambles," he shakes his head.

"You know Choice feels like you always tried to take girls from him?"

"Really? I wasn't- I thought it was some friendly sibling competition. I didn't know he felt like that. Half the time they were girls we didn't give a fuck about." Cort scratches his head. "You know, I always admired Choice. I had to walk around with a chip on my shoulder tough all the time. He was a people person that everyone loved. Popular as hell. Everyone remembered his smile. I wanted to be like that. He wasn't angry and cold to the world."

"I think y'all two will work it out."

"My siblings are my heart. They're all I have, but maybe it's time I build something of my own," Cortlen shrugs.

Before Gee can reply the studio door's opening. It makes him look at his watch to make sure there isn't another session booked for this room. Seeing two men walk in with Black hoodies they stand on each side of the door as another man enters.

"Who the fuck are y'all barging into my studio?" he stands up.

The man standing at 6'3" looks around with his hands clasped in front of him. "I think you've heard of me...Big Bleak." A halfcocked smile slivers across his lips showing a glimmer of his diamond teeth from Johnny Dang. He has a long, scruffy beard and dark skin as Gee tries to figure out if he's seen him anywhere before.

"Okay, and? How you just gonna come in my shit unannounced?"

"This is my city. You don't know?" He walks in further allowing for one more person to enter, Breon.

Gee scoffs. He gets shot at and has to run to his 'daddy' like the pussy he is. "Really? I ain't know. I've been here since about 2018 and never heard of ya," he tilts his head.

"Now you do know, so let's talk," he motions to the chairs. Gee sits and so does he as Fade stands behind Bleak. "You're mighty bold to come around and not pay any dues or show a permission slip."

"Permission slip? We going on a field trip?" He asks seriously. "Like I said, I've lived here four years. No one bothered me before. There's none of that going on. Nobody punks me. Not in my studio. I've been doin' just fine. I fuck with all the youngin's in the city. If they have talent we give them opportunities in this music business. I'm just a music manager."

"I know who you are. My question is why's your little brother runnin' the streets robbin' folks? Shouldn't you be guiding him. Show him what not to do because he definitely did what he's not supposed to do 'round here," Bleak squints.

"He made a mistake, but that's over."

"You got him out of town real fast. Smart, but somebody needs to pay for the mistakes of your brother... And that shit you pulled with Fade," Bleak nods his head towards him.

"Look, I'm not payin' to live in a city I've lived in for years. That ain't what I do," he stands his ground. "I'm all for talking as long as there's respect. Y'all would've got the utmost respect, but that nigga get to runnin' his mouth making threats. I don't take that lightly, so that's the response he got. Whatchu wanna do about it?"

"You might wanna calm it down, nigga," Fade grits.

"You see me sitting here. I'm at my place of business and no security. Y'all pop up unannounced with all these niggas like you scarin' somebody," Gee doesn't back down.

Big Bleak laughs under his breath. "I like you."

"I bet you do."

"Two people have already died. My carrier and now one of my foot soldiers. Two of my men when this clearly is a between y'all thing. I don't see none of y'all dead yet... So clearly y'all aren't serious."

"Oh, I'm dead serious," Fade says with hostility.

Bleak raises his hand up. "You're on parole, so you need to chill the fuck out. Not only are you raising your own profile, but my entire crew. This ain't the wild, wild west. We're not about to be having shoot outs every weekend. So here's what's about to happen... Pay me the money for the stolen product and we're all in the clear. Any money on anyone's head, done."

"How much?" Gee asks.

"It was ten pounds, so $30,000."

"I used to sell weed. You can't run game on me. It's probably only worth half that."

"You don't think I deserve a tax for my people's pain and suffering brought on by your brother?" Bleak smiles knowing he was trying to get over on him.

"My brother wasn't even the one who killed your guy. $20,000," he makes an offer.

"Deal. Have my money by the end of the week and we're squared away. Nice doing business with you." He stands then extends his hand to show respect and Gee shakes it.

"Before y'all leave," Cortlen speaks up. "You owe me money," he reminds Fade.

"What're you talking about?"

"I said I want money in exchange for that time I took for you. You thought I was playin'? Twelve years, so $120,000 seems fair."

"I'll get it," Fade sucks his teeth loudly.

"Whenever Gee pays this fine gentlemen, you should bring my money too. A little exchange. A week. I want it all. Not half, not some. All," Cortlen warns him.

"I'll have it." They both watch them leave. Gee does a long sigh of relief. Not only was he able to get Seven out of town safely, but now the beef is settled. If Seven ever does come back to Houston he'll be safe. That's all he wanted.

Standing behind her camera in her photo studio, Magenta hits the shutter button as a guy poses for the shot in front of a backdrop. Outside of doing the creative directing job for Gee's artist, she hasn't been focusing on work lately. She's still on break from the company, but usually she'd be doing stuff for her website and Youtube.

It fell by the waist side for a couple weeks, so she's getting back into it in preparation for February. For Black History month she decided she's going to find all the young, talented, and Black creatives to honor them. Being that she has a platform she wants to shine a light on them. Whether they're musicians, artists, designers, models, poets, athletes, actors, etc.

She's been taking pictures and doing interviews all afternoon as each person came through at a scheduled time. She feels accomplished she got through so many because there's going to be 28 people featured for each day of the month.

"Thank for doing this," she says to the last person of the day showing him out. Once he's gone she sighs realizing now she needs to clean. Gen's glad Pandora and their friend, Glow, have been helping her all day.

"Has Felicity made any steps to buy you out?" Glow asks as Magenta turns off her softbox lights.

"Nope, but I'm sure she will. I feel like I didn't really try. I started the company and working with my sister because it was easier. Easier than applying for a million jobs and being told no. I never even applied to any jobs in my field. Never created a resume. Didn't go on any interviews. I worked freelance for a year then boom. I just trusted this would work."

"That's why they say you should never go into business with friends or family. I'm sure you've made connections. Why not work on your resume and start looking for other options? You're working with Gee's artist part-time. Maybe look to do it full-time," P gives the advice.

"I definitely need to start weighing my options. I have a feeling Felicity will scrape up every last penny if it means booting me out of the business," she begins sweeping.

"I've been thinking about expanding my business by opening a store in another location. Atlanta, Miami, or Dallas. I just need the money. I thought about asking Kross, but is that too much?"

Magenta and Glow both raise their eyebrows. "He got it like that? Would he actually give it to you?" Glow asks.

"Yeah, he buys me whatever I want," P shrugs.

"Depends on how much you're talking. Some men are nice enough to give money and want nothing in return but your success. Some think they can hold it over your head. There's always a bank loan," Gen suggests.

"Remember my ex bought me that G-Wagon, but as soon as we got in an argument he snatched it back. I don't want no Indian giver ass nigga," Glow says making them chuckle.

"Yeah, I wouldn't get it from him. I'm sure he has it, but trust me. He's about to have some things going on business-wise," Gen says vaguely.

"What do you mean?" Pandora asks.

But Magenta escapes giving an answer because her phone rings and it's Cortlen. "I have to get this." When he tells her he's outside she goes to let him in. She holds the door open because his hands are full. "You found it."

"Yeah. Where can I put this?"

She points at a table asking, "What is that?"

"Delivery from your nigga since he had to go out of town." She looks at it wondering what it is, but decides to open it later. She asks the burning question, "Where have you been staying?"

"A hotel," he says nonchalantly looking around the space.

"Hotel? You don't have to stay at a hotel. You can come stay with me. I have a guest room."

"I'm good. I'm looking for a place. I need my own space."

"You're not going to find a place fresh out of prison. Yeah, you have money, but no job or paystubs."

"Shit, I know somebody who can make fakes," Glow chimes in. "These places ask for too much. Chile, please," she mumbles sitting on the couch.

"I'm good, sis. I'm tired of being a burden. Honestly, I might go back to Dallas."

"You don't have to leave, baby. Shit, you can come stay with me free of charge. I'm not above taking care of a man if they look as good as you," Glow flirts with him until Gen gives a glare for her to mind her business. She holds up her hands laughing.

"Why?"

"I didn't know I'd get out and everybody's arguing. There's nothing here for me. I don't know. I'm still deciding."

"You're not going anywhere," she brushes him off. "Sit and hang out. We're about to order food." He nods going to sit like she said.

Magenta opens the box that Cortlen came with. Seeing a teddy bear made of roses and a card she smiles. "I like him the more and more I see," Glow peers over her shoulder as if it's for her too.

"Why are you all in my kool-aid?"

"I'm single, in heat, and living vicariously through my friends. Duh! Open the card," she urges Gen.

"Move!" She turns and takes a few steps away. Opening it, the card is him asking her to be his Valentine. "Aww, my stink," Gen pokes out her lips before putting the card to her chest.

"Boo! You stink!" Pandora yells like a background character on Spongebob throwing the popcorn she's eating. "I guess we won't be doing Galentine's and getting drunk."

"Girl, don't act like you won't be with one of your niggas. Don't make me feel bad because I have someone who actually cares." Gen grabs her phone Facetiming Gee whose been in Atlanta doing business. After a few rings it connects and she asks, "What do you have up your sleeve?"

"You'll see. Just wanted to make sure you don't have any other plans."

"None at all," she chuckles seeing P with her middle finger in the air. "Does this mean I have to like you a couple more weeks? That sucks," she says jokingly. "You know I've never had a Valentine."

"How?"

"I don't know. Never in high school because I didn't date or give guys attention. Never in college." The one time she was in a relationship, Noah broke up with her close to the holiday. "Never as an adult. I didn't care about it."

"You didn't care or the other person didn't? Well, I guess there's always room for firsts."

"I guess so. I'm sure you're busy, so I'll call you later." They'll most likely talk before bed so she hangs up.

"Do you want to watch the Gayle King interview or is that too much?" Pandora asks trying to find something to watch.

"Eh, you can put it on. I want to see what he's going to say." She knows it'll be bullshit, but she's curious.

They order food and sit around watching the interview that's honestly a hot ass mess. Before this incident, Magenta wasn't that familiar with him. Caprice is every sense of the word cocky. It drips off him. His personality's nasty. She doesn't see what Felicity sees in him.

When they play a clip from one of his court dates and she hears her first and last name loud and clear Magenta freezes. "Did y'all hear that?" She points at the screen.

"They just outed your identity," Pandora's mouth is wide open.

"No! No, they're supposed to blank it out. Are you fuckin' kidding me?!" She yells standing up from the couch. She rewinds it making sure she's not hearing things. Clear as day you can hear the judge say Magenta Thomas. CBS just outed an anonymous rape victim to millions on accident. The clip from the courtroom video feed was supposed to cut the sound.

Magenta knew it was only a matter of time until her identity was revealed. Caprice's legal team filed a motion when he was first charged seeking to strip her use of the 'Jane Doe' pseudonym. They tried to say she's not "legally entitled" to such protections. All because the D.A.'s efforts to publicly solicit more witnesses and allegations backing her claims "made it clear that she isn't interested in privacy at all."

His lawyer said Caprice has suffered prejudice from Magenta's refusal to identify herself publicly. That she's hiding in an attempt to shield herself from public scrutiny, all while she drags his reputation through the mud. But that motion was dismissed just like the motion to dismiss the case entirely.

They knew they would be denied, but the motions that came with a lot of press and many articles pointed people in the right direction of who the victim is. Between saying Noah, a somewhat famous NFL player, is her ex-boyfriend then saying she may be dating Caprice's manager, Gee. People could put two and two together, but now it's blasted for confirmation.

The D.A. was already disclosing her name to potential witnesses in the course of pursuing leads and defending the case. Caprice or his legal team weren't strictly forbidden from outing Magenta. The court permits his defense team to reveal her identity to anyone so long as doing so is a part of investigating the claims against him.

This is completely different...

For the next thirty minutes Gen's trying not to have a panic attack while on the phone with the D.A. They're trying to figure out who made the terrible mistake over at CBS because someone has some explaining to do.

In the meantime, Caprice's interview is trending along with his name and Magenta's. She hasn't even looked at her notifications, but they're blowing up. She's getting followers, mentions, likes, and comments in the droves. All of them aren't positive either.

"This bitch!" Pandora grumbles with her face in her phone. "Why is this hoe on Twitter running her mouth?"

"Who?" Glow asks. Gen's too busy waiting while on hold.

"Amil." People actually associated with the situation couldn't wait to tweet. People that were there that night who were subpoenaed as witnesses have known it was Magenta for months. As the weeks went by her being the Jane Doe was beginning to swirl around the influencer scene due to them gossiping.

Amil couldn't miss the chance to tweet the following: "Now everyone knows... Trying to tarnish someone's name and lying for a quick buck or come up is never cool. Bitches are sick constantly lying on Black men for clout."

Her and several others associated with Caprice have been sneak dissing and antagonizing her hoping Magenta would respond. He's been having his friends harass her on social media like minions because he can't.

Pandora wasn't going to let this slide anymore, so she decided to at Amil. From there the two began arguing on Twitter. Amil defending Caprice and P doing the same for Gen. The blogs are eating it up.

Of course Amil's eating it up too because it's getting her attention and followers. She loves the attention so much she goes live on Instagram.

"Screen record the whole thing," Magenta paces back and forth wishing the state's attorney will take her off hold.

"This bitch so federal," is the first thing she can hear Amil say as hearts go up on the side of the screen. Amil immediately begins defending her name knowing she looks crazy after some of the tweets Pandora posted. "You're playing with people's brands and their livelihood. I'm going to make a Youtube video on this, but I need to say this."

"Of course you are," Gen scoffs.

"This bitch is making it seem like I left her with a complete stranger. She knew that nigga. She interviewed him in the past. He fucked with her sister. They had been around each other. She knew him more than me, to be honest. She knew him enough. Not once did she act unsafe or uncomfortable. I told her I was leaving. If she didn't hear me or remember, that's not my fault."

"You a dog ass lie," she stares at the screen in disgust.

"When I finally got a hold of Magenta after that night, she answered and said "Bitch, fuck you," then hung up. You blocked me! Then you unblocked me and expected me to just reply to your texts and answer your calls. No, fuck you too. Then you got lawyers and investigators calling my phone needing my help? You're crazy. I did nothing wrong. The bitch is delusional bringing everyone into her bullshit with this case knowing that man didn't do anything to you that you didn't want."

A guy pops into screen and Magenta recognizes him as one of Caprice's friends who's always running behind him. "Got fucked and dumped now she's mad," he gives a taunting laugh

"And her little friend who keeps talking... What's her name?"

"Panera," the guy laughs clearly in women's business.

"You've been hatin' on me since you met me back when I was in college. Thought I was going to steal your spot. Bitches been jealous of me that's why Magenta ran up on me at the club. You're a victim," she does air quotes. "But you're not acting like one. You're at clubs, partying, and what not. I'm too pretty to fight, but since your friend keeps running her mouth... Let me stop," she laughs ending the live abruptly.

"I blocked her for one day," Gen starts. "I never said he was a stranger, so her whole argument is stupid. When I called and texted her the next day, why didn't she reply? Didn't check to see if I was good, nothing. She has no regard for people. Even as a female, why leave someone completely alone? I expected her to do what I'd do and that's where I went wrong."

"And how does a victim act?" Glow asks. "Bitches are weird."

"I think you should say something," Cortlen says. "Everyone knows who you are now."

"I could've been aired people out a long time ago, but I didn't and don't want to. This isn't anyone's business, especially social media." Gen thinks for a second. "P, you can go live and respond for me."

"You sure?" She doublechecks.

"Yeah, since apparently we're having people who weren't there speaking for us. You know how I feel about this better than anyone." Pandora nods as Gen says, "I'm gonna go call my lawyer," before going to the bathroom for privacy.

Pandora makes sure to go live from her personal page and not her business one. Nearing a million followers people flock to her live ready for the next chapter in the saga of drama.

"Everybody's showing their true colors with this situation. For some reason people don't know how to stay in their place. There's a way to choose yo side, but still stay out the way and mind your business. I can believe my friend and still not run my mouth on the internet inserting myself. Cause guess what? That's between those two people, the judge, the jurors, and God. Somebody gonna have to answer every last one of 'em," Pandora starts.

Seeing Amil in the comments she begins airing it all out. "Amil, you set her up and I dare you to say you didn't. I'm ten toes down. If my friend was drunk, high, whatever... I'm not leaving her unattended. If she came with me, she's leaving with me. You said fuck her she grown."

Hearing every word Magenta's leaned up against the wall trying to regulate her breathing. Closing her eyes she has flashback to her initial interview with the police...

"Is there any reason that someone you were with would want to drug you?" The officer asks.

"No. I don't know. Amil just kinda left me... Like she's done before," Gen answers in a hushed tone trying to remember as much as she can.

"Excuse me?"

"Um, the girl I came with. This isn't exactly the first time she's left me alone or put me in harm's way."

Opening her eyes Gen goes to the sink splashing her face with water still hearing Pandora on live in the other room. "You say she's a liar, but what reason would she lie? A lie has to have a source or a gained outcome. It's not for money because it's not a civil case. It's not for attention or clout because she was a Jane doe. She never came to the internet blasting anybody. She kept it quiet. Everything's public record. Look that shit up. She went to the police immediately after and got a rape kit done. She went to the police, got her report, and hasn't said a word publicly," P defends her.

For the first time in the last hour since this happened Magenta realizes what just happened. The first thing she wonders is how this will effect her career. She knows people in the industry will pick sides because they already are. The panic sets in as tears roll down her eyes. Putting both hands on the edge of the white pedestal sink she lowers her head trying to wrap her head around this.

Meanwhile, things were taking a left turn on the live with Pandora. "You bitches think this is funny or a joke and it's not. You hoes got bird brains? A bunch of puppets for dick. Yo ass been slutted out for any nigga who has a name and money so much that you think everyone's like you. You've never been a friend. You're a social climber. You didn't need to go to college to be an industry piece of pussy pass around. A bunch of delusional groupies who never had real attention from dudes, so you're willing to do anything to keep it including snaking out another female."

Amil being in the comments didn't help because Pandora has been wanting to say this for months. It's no-holds-barred from there. "Tell the truth or shut up. You shouldn't have even spoken, but you running your mouth. People talkin' about not tarnishing brands. You a whole slide. Whatever tax bracket I'm in I'ma still whoop a hoe. Any bitch play with me or her can get ran up on and beat. Don't talk like you like that. You already got dragged, so don't act gangsta. I been whoopin' shit. Check the status. I always stayed in my place. Bitches always tryna hide they hands when they do some bogus ass fake shit."

Magenta dries her face knowing she needs to tell Pandora to end the live. She's too overwhelmed to even step out of the bathroom. "If I ain't whoop one of these hoes back then it's because a bitch knew not to play with me. Hoes wanna play now because they think someone's weak and vulnerable, but it's not goin' down like that. On my soul, I bet not one of you gon' touch me. A hoe ain't gonna do nothing to me or her!" Pandora doesn't back down from any threats being made.

Magenta finally swings the door open motioning across her neck to cut it and Pandora ends the live. "I have to go," Gen walks across the studio grabbing her keys and purse.

"Where are you going?"

"I need air. I'll talk to y'all later. Lock up this place for me when you leave." She ignores them constantly calling her name exiting without another word.

Going out to her car she speeds off driving around for hours trying to clear her head. Her phone's turned off so she has no idea people are calling and looking for her. They're fearing the worst not knowing what state of mind she's in. This is something that could make someone suicidal.

It wasn't until hours later of Pandora showing up at her house did anyone pinpoint her whereabouts. If P didn't have a key she probably wouldn't have let her in. That didn't stop the worry though.

Genesis changed his flight to leave Atlanta that night as opposed to the next morning. Three hours later he's pulling up to her townhome ringing the doorbell since she still wasn't answering his calls or texts.

It's nearly midnight and the breaking news is a hot topic. Caprice and Magenta have been trending all over the internet with people giving their opinions. This is what Caprice wanted; to sway the court of public opinion.

After ringing the doorbell Pandora opens the door letting him in. "Where is she?" He whispers.

"Living room," she motions to it. "She's been crying for hours," she informs him so Gee knows what he's walking into. "I was gonna go get some clothes to spend the night. Can you stay with her until I get back?"

"I got her."

"Did you eat? I can stop and get you food too?" She asks grabbing her purse and keys.

"I didn't. I'll take whatever you bring me. Thanks." Pandora nods exiting the home as Gee begins down the corridor.

Magenta's balled up on the couch as an episode of The Game plays. Quietly entering the room he sits on the couch pulling her into his lap holding her like a child. Neither of them say a word.

____________

Seven back in college? Do you think he'll stay?

What Gee found out about his business? Maybe being charged for the fight with Caprice? His talk with Big Bleak?

Magenta being outed as the Jane Doe? Pandora's feud with Amil?

Comment / vote💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 3.2K 57
We made a bond from the very beginning I found my homie and my best friend I'mma be there for ya till the very end No matter what, no matter what...
153 7 12
I never thought I'd fall for you as hard as I did You got me thinking about our life, our house and kids Every morning I look at you and smile Caus...
264 3 22
Story about soulmates.
331K 13.1K 45
He was hoe all his life and he knew it. He never wanted to be everything for someone until he met her. She was everything he needed. As y'all know m...