The Boiling Point | ✔️

By katvalentinewrites

In which two competitive culinary students get under each other's skin in all the right ways. * * * ʙᴏɪʟɪɴɢ ᴘ... More

intro & aesthetics
01 | compromise
02 | distractions
03 | skater boy
05 | the villas
06 | show me
07 | partners
08 | bitter
09 | fully focused
10 | aftertaste
11 | secrets we keep
12 | sunlight
13 | a little more
14 | decisions
15 | sobering reality
16 | full moon
17 | spinning out
18 | downpour
19 | insatiable
20 | awakening
21 | at sea
22 | control
23 | tar
24 | bad guy
25 | patterns
26 | stress relief
27 | mind games
28 | jealous
29 | confessions
30 | closure
31 | what goes around...
32 | r e c k l e s s
33 | p a t h s
34 | r i f t
35 | ...comes around
36 | issues
37 | the eyes
38 | after the rain
39 | timing
40 | gold thread
41 | breakfast
42 | pillow talk
43 | up in flames
44 | nosedive
45 | collateral damage
46 | the bittersweet

04 | cupcake girl

4.2K 168 34
By katvalentinewrites

ASHTON

As soon as I saw that girl in my class, I knew I was done for.

Honestly, what a cruel temptation the universe thrust on me. Evil son of a bitch that one, the universe. It never plays in my favor. Why would it start now? But temptation doesn't have to exist at all if you cut off the source before it spirals out of control, and giving Cupcake Girl a reason to want to stay away from me was a sure-fire way to do just that.

Was I caught off guard by those ridiculously big green eyes? Yes. Those full lips most guys can only dream about tasting in their lifetime? Hell yes. But I had to be blunt enough to drive her away.

What I said was true enough, anyway. I'm aiming to get through this school with the best results to get the best job. No distractions, particularly in the form of beautiful foul-mouthed girls I'd usually hit on in an electrified heartbeat.

Here's how I see it; attempting to do damage control over me witnessing that explosive temper means it's something she doesn't want to expose to anyone else. A bitter fault to her otherwise sweet appearance. So if she wants to keep that up, her sweet self will bottle up those fiery feelings and stomp away to complain about the jerk in the privacy of her mind. She won't challenge said jerk.

"Hi, me again."

Or maybe not.

Summer hops onto the arm of the couch I'm sitting on. I scoot over, focused on scrolling through my phone. Nick better come out of that room soon. I should have bailed instead of waiting for him.

"Since you said your little piece, I also just wanted to clear something up real quick. If that's okay." Her voice is nothing but chipper sunshine and rainbows.

"Free country." I glance at her crossed legs, her plaid skirt riding up to show off toned thighs I instantly picture wrapped around me. Don't even go there, man.

"I want to apologize."

I look up at her now, my tongue pushing the lollipop into my cheek to respond. "Apologize?"

"That's right, I'm sorry." She leans down a little, her smile wilting. "I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I'm the kind of person who'd run away with her tail between her legs when she's insulted. Or that she'd even put up with being insulted by a random asshole who seems to be an asshole just for kicks. I was only trying to be nice. That doesn't mean I wanna buddy up with you, okay? You're not here to make friends." She takes advantage of my slack jaw, plucking the lollipop from my mouth. "And I'm not here to be bulldozed over by douchebags who think they're hot shit."

Her deadpan expression changes in a second, reverting back to that beauty queen smile before taking a lick of the lollipop and putting it in her mouth. She slides off the couch and strides away without another word.

Holy shit.

❖❖❖

So she's got a bit of an edge, big whoop. It quickly becomes apparent how sickeningly enthusiastic this girl is. Constantly asking questions in the safety class, scribbling down notes like she's being paid to record every word Chef Kent says. Sure, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little turned on after she stole my lollipop, but the intrigue ends there.

Since she said she's from Philadelphia, I can guarantee she was in those suburbs earlier because she's renting a room in the fancy house she was outside of. The college sent a list of families who're open to students since there's no on-campus housing, and the fact that she was in that particular neighborhood just proves she's another prissy rich chick.

If that didn't confirm it, then the shiny Lexus I see her peeling out of the parking lot from does. It for sure costs more than my trailer of a house. A lot of people I know might be on the wealthier side, but Cupcake Girl reeks of entitlement. I never realized how much of a turn off it was until now.

"Need a ride?" Nick holds up his keys.

"Only if I'm driving."

He tosses them to me, and I slide into his old Honda.

"So? What'd you think of the first day?"

I shrug as I change into gear, backing out of the parking space. "Average. Can't really get excited until we're actually cooking, right?"

"Never satisfied," he mutters.

"Meaning?"

"Meaning the only time you'll be excited is when you're graduating out of this place three years from now."

I laugh, turning onto the main road. "Nothing gets past you, Detective Nicky."

My taunting has little effect on him. It hardly ever does. Nick's the only friend who knows me when the act is down. Because yeah, it's true, most of the time I'm an asshole just for kicks. The rest of the time I'm trying to get through the shitty part of my life no one who lives on the other side of Freeman Bridge has any idea about, except Nick.

I let my knees steer while I get out a cigarette, but he hastily grabs the wheel. "Dude, how many times... my parents will kill me if this car..."

He continues muttering to himself in annoyance, opening the windows when I take the wheel again.

"How's the saving for your own ride going, huh? Tell me you're close, please. Even if it's not true."

"So, so close," I eagerly say. "My 401k's just about to kick in, then the payment I have for that Ferrari on hold will go through. I'm thinking about getting a motorbike as well, really go wild. Life's sweet, ain't it?"

He grins a toothy grin, shaking his head. "Just let me help you out, man. I can ask my parents for some extra ca—"

The car swerves as I sucker punch his arm.

"Fine! I won't offer again. Jesus."

An angry honk comes from the Jeep behind us. I lean out the window and flip them off while Nick grabs the wheel again.

"You see why you need your own damn car? My fault for letting you drive."

❖❖❖

At my dad's auto body shop, I stop by his office on the way in. His feet are up on his overflowing desk, leaning back in his chair and throwing a baseball to himself.

"Hey, I'm gonna finish up Julian's car."

"Ashton."

I backtrack, thinking he might actually ask me about my day for a moment. That he might ask about the school or if I met any new people.

"Get me a coffee first, will you?"

I nod and head to the little kitchen off the garage. How crazy of me to expect anything else. The man didn't even come to my graduation, why would he give a crap about college?

Julian shows up right as I'm rolling out from under his car. "How's she lookin'?" He circles the area, as if he's going to see a visible difference.

"Ready to come home."

He smiles, rubbing his gigantic hands together. The guy is a bear. The kind of man you'd expect to be a club bouncer. I'm six-two, and he towers well over me. Not to mention he's as wide as a doorframe. In short, Julian is someone you never want to get on the wrong side of, period.

"Now let's see the good stuff, huh?" The regular tune-up on his ride isn't why he's so keen.

I skim around the garage while I wipe the grease off my hands. Cruz is chatting up the receptionist, Kayleigh. Normal. And there's no weird movement on the street. I gesture to Julian and start showing him the traps I installed. In the door panel, the dashboard, and the trunk. It should come as no surprise that my dad's business is not exactly on the up and up. Sure, a lot of the time it's just a handful of mechanics fixing cars, but if the right type of person wants something shady done, they know that Banks Auto Body is the place to go.

It's not like I'm cool with it all. If I get caught mixed up in this stuff, my future is dead. Dad doesn't give me a choice, though. A couple years ago he got me to help him on a job out of my comfort zone of simple mechanic work, and I ended up having a knack for installing traps almost seamlessly. The more undetectable, the better for everyone.

Guys like Julian could easily just buy a car with hidden compartments built in, but guys like Julian need them to be invisible. So I do it, and whatever illegal shit goes down after the car leaves is not in my hands. If they're moving drugs, guns, anything like that—I want nothing to do with it. Nick was right about me being excited to graduate culinary school, despite only being one day into it.

My dad is under the impression that I'll get a job in some high-class restaurant in town so I can bring in big cash, continue working here and doing the sketchy stuff on the side. That couldn't be further from my plans.

When I graduate, I'm getting as far away from Cloverbrook as possible... and I'm never coming back.

A/N: please tap the star and vote, it really helps me out :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76K 3.1K 63
Taylor West is the epitome of self-reliance. Or she must be. Relationships are fickle. Despite finally enrolling in her dream studies and thriving in...
20.9K 1K 39
Riley Matthews has gone through a lot. From her mother passing away, to her father being an asshole, from her own emotional issues, and to even her b...
9.8K 824 49
They are the group no one dares to mess with, with a school that stands behind them. She is the girl who opposes them, and the girl who might just lo...
19M 582K 55
"Never call a girl a bitch," I glared into his eyes as he opened them, piercing into me, the bright blue drink I had just poured over him still dripp...