How to be Happy: Futility in...

By Authorswagger

Two weeks after a brutal fight, our ragtag group of protagonists battle against an insane Yakuza Family Patri... More

Chapter 1: Futile Beginnings
Chapter 2: A Confused Reflection
Chapter 3: The Changed Charmer
Chapter 4: An Unlikely Threat
Chapter 5: The Cruel Reality
Chapter 6: Familiarity
Chapter 7: Cautiously Cowardly
Chapter 9: Two Opposing Houses
Chapter 10: Impossible Luck
Chapter 11: Gracefully Panicked
Chapter 12: The Charmer's Change
Chapter 13: Lucked Out
Chapter 14: Minor Mistakes make Misery
Chapter 15: Hurting to Love, or Loving to Hurt?
Chapter 16: Town of Complex Simplicity
Chapter 17: An Old Friend
Chapter 18: Shocking!

Chapter 8: Stand and Stand Again

33 4 0
By Authorswagger

"Hey Noa, check out this really cool knife I found while I was out looking!" Kanashi says, as he and Noa sit down next to each other, checking out the switchblade.
"Whoaa.."

"Watch your fingers, if you cut yourself, you might get sick." Another kid says, as Kanashi turns around to face him.

"Oh hey, Kokoru! Are you here for your martial arts thing again?" Kanashi asks, as Noa walks away get water.

"Yeah, where is he?"

"He's still out with his dad, you can wait for him here, though! I'm sure he'll have enough time to teach you some new moves!" Kanashi said, as Kokoru sat on he crate next to him.

"Yeah, let's hope he brings his sister again, she sure is fun to be around!"

No time like the present..

As the fight raged on outside, I heard it from outside the room. I couldn't open my eyes, but I could hear it. 

"How is it in here?!" I heard someone say, as I recognized the voice. As I felt my eyes open, I realize my eyes have been covered in bandages. As I reach up to my face, I removed the bandages and took out the wire in my arm.

As I looked around, I saw Kanashi at the door, as I turned to see around the rest of the room. I was seated next to some Red haired kid, next to another green haired guy and my sister.

As I tried to stand, the green haired guy looks at me.

"Psst!" The guy says, as he taps my sister and she looks over at me.

Shizuka runs over to me and helps me sit upright, as I at that green haired guy.

"How do you get your hair green naturally? Wait a minute.."
Shizuka hits me in the face with the notepad.
"No time, can you stand yet?"

"Yeah, I can try." As I stand upright, and I see the painkiller.

As my vision goes red, I clench my fist and bear the pain. As my heart beats faster, I stand on the floor and walk to the door, where Kanashi stood to greet me.

"Never thanked you for bringing me here, Kanashi." I said, as he smirked.
"Never thanked you for teaching me these moves!" Kanashi said, as he walked back outside and got into a fighting stance. I was going to follow, but Shizuka stopped me.

"Are you sure you can fight? You're clothes are still bloodied and raggedy!"
"I'll be fine. I trust that she can keep you safe." I said, pointing at the Girl in Green. She looked surprised, as I chuckled.

"How did you know?"
"I don't think any guy I know besides Kanashi would wear a skirt, Mrs.." I asked, as she blushed.

"Oh no, you have it mistaken! I'm not married to him.. yet. My name is Akira, nice to meet you." 

I stepped outside, as Noa and Kokoru turned around and saw me.

"Momoru?!" Noa shouts, as she runs and hugs me.

"Hehe, nice to see you're still as energetic and dangerous as when I taught you." I said to her, as she began to tear up.

"What's up?"
"Tafu.. he's.."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that, he was like a father to us." I said to her, as Kokoru walked over.

"Noa, you talk with Kanashi. I have some business with our friend here." I said, as I faced Kokoru.

I hugged the cyclops, as he hugged me back.

"Nice to see you again.. Koko-chan!"
"I told you not to call me that ever again, you jerk!" Kokoru said, as we laughed and he backed up.

"It's been such a while since I taught you all the moves I saw you pulling over here! I missed you, kid. You beat your dad, didn't ya?"
"Well.. I'll tell you later. We got a couple friend to deal with here." Kokoru said, as men in suits, presumably Yamagashi men, came out of the shadows.

"Hey.. I remember your faces! Bet you thought you could come back for round two while I was out, huh? Well, you'll get to fight someone, ME!" I shouted, as the men began to cower.
"Aw, c'mon. Come out AND FIGHT ME!" I shouted, as the men began to run up. 

Back then..

"I'll be teaching you all a move that requires two people and some teamwork. Now, we'll be using Kanashi as a dummy. What's gonna happen is one of you is gonna bend down, just like a table. Then the other one is gonna jump on the table and do the drop-kick finisher I taught you. Then the table will get upright and pull a turning-sidekick into the dummy's stomach, while the drop-kick is going to hit the head. You get it?"

"Err.. enough?" Kokoru said, as I stood upright.
"Let's see if you understood!"

I knew what we needed to do, but I was tired. I looked over at Kokoru, as he looked back at me with understanding of what to do.

I bent down, as Kokoru got a running start and jumped on my back. As soon I felt that, I turned and threw my leg at one of them behind me, as Kokoru drop kicked someone in front of me. As Kokoru landed, I looked at him, his aura of white confusing me.

"Nice to see you remembered the move."
"Let's see if the others remembered it." Kokoru says, as he looked over at Kanashi and Noa.

Kanashi bent down, as Noa threw a running roundhouse, vaulting over Kanashi's back. Kanashi then threw an uppercut at someone in front of him, as the two looked over at each other.

"Cool."
"Yeah." Kanashi said, as he looked away from Noa.

"Heh, how much you've all grown still terrifies me."
"Hey, don't talk like you're some old grandpa, you're only two years older than us." Kokoru said, as I chuckled and walked over to the other two. 

As I looked around the room, nobody was around. No Yakuza remained, as the rest ran or were knocked out. I walked over to Kanashi and Noa, as more people peaked their heads over the shadows.

"There's more!"
"No, they're the owners of this hospital." Kanashi said, as silence came over the room.

"THEY RUINED THE DAMN PLACE!"
"GET OUT!"
"THEY ALMOST KILLED MY HUSBAND!"

"They don't sound very happy." I said, as I ran over to the room.

"Can that Red guy stand? We're being kicked out."
"He can't even move, he needs this treatment!" Akira said, as I sighed.

"Well.." I said, as Shizuka showed me her notepad.

"I'll be fine, go ahead." I read, as I sighed.

Suddenly, gunshots rang out, as everyone turned to face them.

It was one Yakuza, who had a revolver in his hands.

He walked up and shot once, as I felt my chest get hit by something that felt like an airsoft gun.

"AGH!" I shouted, as I saw where the bullet hit.

The man shot again, as we heard it hit the Red guy's body.

"RHED!" Akira shouted, as she looked at the bullet hole.

She pulled out a full wallet of cash, with the bullet still inside of it.
"Wait.. Shizuka, check Momoru's bullet wound."

I pulled out another wallet, one of the other Yakuza's wallets. I opened it and saw the picture inside, the picture matching the man with the gun.

The man tried to fire again, but the gun seemed to blow up in his hand, as he grasped his hand.

"Get him!" Noa shouted, as Kanashi ran up and threw a powerful kick at his face, as the Yakuza fell to the ground.

Suddenly, a bird flew by and pooped, as it missed Kanashi and hit the man.

"Hehe, I guess you're slowly waking." Akira said, as she began to cry tears of joy over her boyfriend.

"What..?"
"Her boyfriend has incredible luck. I know because I spent a day with this reliable show-off. Let's hope he wakes up soon." Kokoru said, as the people began to shout again.

"Take care of her, Akira. And if you don't.."

"I'll kill your boyfriend, and make you watch."

"She'll be fine, I promise."

We left the hospital, and took the car to go to Noa's place, as we all laughed and conversed in the car.

I miss the old days, but this is just as fun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301 35 25
"No compassion. No mercy." The words our family live by. "People tend to think I will forget the shit they said but there is not expiration date for...
12.6K 407 22
Akio Suzaki had ran out of options of where the school district could send her, this unfortunate discovery lead to the young woman being sent to Oya...
441K 11.4K 39
Chaos ensues when the Mafia's Adam meets The Commission's Eve. But when lines are crossed and boundaries are blurred, the two of them get a bargain t...
135 20 11
***Gang version - no fantasy*** No one comes looking for a dead girl, as long as she stays dead. • • • Having finally escaped the vicious hands of...