The Misfortune Cycle: River D...

By Wall_Of_Flesh

It was a case of theft. A simple one, really, since the volume of materials stolen and the particular means o... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Epilogue

11 2 3
By Wall_Of_Flesh

The shroud squirmed on the muddy, putrid ground, it's thousand fingers curling and wriggling for anything to hold on to. Stark, biting mist rolled over the dark expanse. The only source of light was a hundred feet away.

An apartment. A peer into a space miles from there.

The woman, appearance somewhere in her early twenties, came out of the dark mist. She wore a thin sundress, completely out of place in the restless darkness that enveloped her.

She approached the shroud of the Shadow Goddess and smiled at it. The goddess had an unique taste, and as disgusting it was to entertain it sometimes, she had come to love it.

She picked it up, brushing the sand off it with a gentle hand. The boneless fingers wrapped around her fingers futilely.

A sound came from the apartment a hundred feet away, and she looked up to see a rather small man going through the door.

He unlocked it with a key, opened the door, passed, and closed the door from the other side.

At least he thought he closed the door from the other side.

The door swung open just an inch, as if an invitation for the unwanted guest Torun was about receive. Torun would never notice, of course.

Torun would never even see it.

The woman smiled. Her soldiers were getting into formation and her war elephants were beginning to wake. Her generals were in training and the wind was on her side.

She let out an involuntary giggle, clutching her sister's shroud tighter.

The Goddess of Illusions really did like playing chess.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7 12 31
A merchant sailing vessel is on the final voyage of the trade season, a journey made more difficult due to the changing weather and the failing of th...
2.2K 117 29
Now on Inkitt!!! Book One of the Traveler's Series Erika is sent to a mysterious island where her one job is to discover the truth. Erika runs into t...
1.7K 510 39
Highest rank #73 in fantasy #18 in voodoo #79 in Philosophy There are times when everything around fades and the voice of the past starts dominatin...
7.9K 339 26
Books 7 & 8 of The Reckoning. Though Satan now has his precious vessel, things aren't going to plan. He must keep a clear head-but his heart has othe...