[Discontinued] Yet Another Wo...

By Sterron

It has been roughly almost two years since Subaru had been transported to another world, and roughly around s... More

1. Yet Another World (Rewrite v2.0)
2. Welcome to Beacon (Rewrite)
3. The First Day (Rewrite)
4. An Eventful Night (Rewrite 2.0)
5. Burden of a Knight
6. Party Under The Moonlight
7. Revelations
8. Interlude: Midnight Meeting
9. Departure
10. Window Shopping
11. Retry
12. Battle of the Assassins
13. Aftermath.
14. Arc 1 Epilogue: One Year Later...
15. Sudden Reunion
16. Catching Up
17. Interlude: It's Brawl in The Family part 1
18. Interlude: It's Brawl in The Family Part 2
19. NBSS vs CPRK
20. Lessons Learned
21. Dance of The Crimson War Goddess
22. Under The Shattered Moon
23. Final Round
24. Beginning of The End
25. Pride
26. Angel of Death
27. Fight for Survival
Uncertainty
What could've been (Notes)

28. Out of Time

332 13 3
By Sterron

A cough was sounded out amidst the chaos of destruction and ruin, an aftermath of Calamity. Natsuki Subaru had woken up from the moment he met that sudden burst of light. His mind is hazy, his head experiencing a severe ache, a concussion. He would also find himself staring at the night sky, filled with grimm and sounds of chaos.

"Wha…"

'What just happened?' was the sentence he tried to mutter out, but his mouth could not speak the words out. It's as if he's still dazed and confused about the situation, his brain overwhelmed. He could feel an ache all throughout his body, and especially at his chest he could feel something stabbing. His ribs were broken, he's finding it hard to breathe properly.

"Ahrk-!"

Then, it registered to him, another sharp pain, in his stomach. He had noticed that his aura had shattered, the feeling of the pain is prevalent. A piece of rebar had stabbed itself onto Subaru's body, he's pinned here. Yet-

"Must…take it out…!"

He persevered. Despite the pain that it caused him, Subaru grabbed a hold of the piece of metal and mustered all of his remaining strength to dull the pain. Taking several deep breaths, and in an instant, he pulled it out.

"GAAARHK-!"

Both the feeling of relief of a weight taken off of him, and the feeling of losing blood could be felt by him. He could not process the events that had transpired, and he must focus on making sure he doesn't die first. Pushing through with adrenaline he sat up and took off his tracksuit, quickly improving and using it as an improvised bandage to stop the bleeding upon his stomach. Quickly wrapping the jacket around his lower body as he gritted his teeth, Natsuki Subaru would ensure that his survival was certain.

"Hah….ha…"

He breathed out a sigh as he threw the piece of metal far from him, at least his efforts would hold it in for now, with him finishing the process by tying the arms of the tracksuit upon the wound to seal it shut. Now, he needs to focus on registering what just happened. No need to worry about his wound now, he could even feel his body already healing itself through the Dragon's Blood inside him, albeit slowly.

During the moment of their final attack towards Proxima, he could muster a sort of flash of light suddenly appearing in an instant, almost a fraction of a second after he roared out the signal to send that attack. Then, he could feel being blown back by the sheer shockwave of the attack, with the light blinding him and the wave of destruction finally putting him out.

He…he should be dead by now. That's the main thing that came to his mind. It certainly wasn't the work of his aura did he manage to survive, as there must be another force at play.

"Where's…"

And the answer quickly came to him. The spirit partner of his, Beatrice, was the most likely saviour of them all. And looking at his surroundings, he would find her lying beside him, knocked out, but unharmed. Although…he could feel that her entire being had been drained. It's not as severe as it was during Pristella, but it's certainly something of concern.

Pushing through the pain that is present throughout his body, Subaru would come over to her and check for her warmth and signs of life. She's still breathing, yet her condition is something akin to a comatose state. Worry filled his mind for her, yet he felt relieved that at least she's uninjured. However…

"Does that mean…?"

She must've erected a spell to deflect most of the damage taken from that attack. Yet even so, the impact was still felt by them, resulting in their condition. It's something past him would've blamed himself for, but he truly knows that it was not his fault she had to resort to such measures. For now, he wished for her safety and recovery, she had done enough.

He would look towards his other side, and he could hear the sounds of crying nearby. He could see Scarlet, already woken up from the attack. Her body is littered with injuries, but she seemed to be mostly fine. In fact, as he had remembered it, outside of Shaula she's the most durable out of the group, due to her unnatural aura regeneration that effectively played well with her semblance. Meaning that the next victim he needs to worry about is…

"Indigo…?"

He could see the silhouette of white and dark blue right in front of Scarlet, heavily wounded and in a much worse condition than he is. Indigo's practically near death and is clinging on for dear life. And right beside her was Meili, bruised up and knocked out. At the least he needn't to worry as much about his adopted daughter's condition, but he would try to stand upon his two feet, carrying Beatrice in his arms to reach the rest of the team.

"Please…! Don't die on me! Not again! Please!" Scarlet would scream, tears swelling up and running down her cheeks, crying upon her surrogate sister's body.

"Scarlet!" Subaru would yell out, stumbling forward and eventually landing next to them, laying down Beatrice next to Meili specifically. 

Scarlet did not acknowledge his call, for she kept on sobbing and mourning Indigo's condition. She couldn't exactly blame him for dragging them to this, for she felt that she's to blame for agreeing to it in the first place. She felt that she's the reckless one that caused their downfall, twice even. She was out for revenge and payback for what Proxima had done, and she's now reaping what she had sowed because of it. The crop of sorrow and ruin that is grown from the seeds of arrogance and bloodlust.

Subaru was at a loss for words. He could not process anything to comfort his teammate. He felt useless, but still, he had to push on, somehow. And to comfort Scarlet even for the slightest bit, he would hold her hand and caress her head as she sobbed. He could do only just that, as he waited for any kind of plan that he could think of to escape this place without further harm.

"But, where's…"

Shaula, that's the last person he had thought of that is now missing. In a bout of panic he tried to look for her, turning his head around the scene of destruction. But what he found instead was-

"Pitiful, absolutely pitiful."

"You-!"

The Sin Archbishop of Pride, Proxima Gray Centauri. A name he has come to hate as of late. The man in front of him stood with his wings spread out, approaching them all slowly. His eyes glowed a brilliant flaming azure, his hair presenting a slight hint of blue as well. Subaru could only feel the most amount of rage at this very moment. Yet he knows he could not act or else they will all die, and it will all be for nothing. So, he waited for the Archbishop to continue.

"It is foolish of you to even think that you could stand against me." Proxima would say to him. "I have assumed you to be the greatest threat, and you indeed came close to that expectation. Yet, you're just a pathetic human all the same. You're no Sage, merely a parody, a pariah posing as the one who had sealed The Devil herself."

Subaru could not respond, he had no words to describe the thoughts running inside his head. Yet still, he knows that Proxima would keep on talking all the same. That's his nature, that All-Seeing Eye of his.

"Overwhelmed? Is that it?" He said, "You could've expected this with that disgusting curse of an ability that you have. You could've prevented this, could you not?"

Subaru sat silently, glaring at him with utter contempt, yet also clouded by fear.

Proxima came closer, "Yet you didn't. You didn't use the ability to its fullest potential. You could've made sure to expect my every move, my abilities, yet you relied on that feeble mind of yours. You're clearly not worthy even of your name."

He stepped in closer, enough to jab the spear he held into Subaru's skull. "What are your last words, you so-called Sage?"

Subaru instinctively moved in front of his entire team, stumbling upon his own two legs as he stood up, holding the tracksuit in place to cover his wound. He mustered enough energy to glare at Proxima, as he picked up the piece of rebar nearby, the same one that had pierced him earlier. He had essentially used it as a cane to support himself, but also as a weapon, as he weakly presented the tip to the Archbishop.

"Don't you dare…touch them!"

Proxima was quite amused, yet no expression formed upon his face. "I would not. They're better off without you." He said nonchalantly, before winding up for a strike, "Till then, Natsuki Subaru!"

And in an instant, the Archbishop thrust the spear forwards. The air between them almost seemed to split in two by the sheer force of his attack, and Subaru closed his eyes expecting death to come at any moment, standing his ground still as he did.

But, it never did. Instead, Proxima had moved from the offensive to a sudden defensive, blocking an incoming attack and moving away from Subaru a second later. A needle would drop to the ground afterwards, having expended the energy that launched it, obviously from a source that Subaru knows too well.

"-!?"

Then, a brown haired girl, Shaula, would crash against Proxima, drop kicking him and sending him crashing at a nearby pile of ruin. She landed in front of Subaru, before summoning dozens of magic circles in order to bombard Proxima with Hell Snipe needles. Each projectile is as big as a person's head, and each needle sends off a force equivalent to that of a railgun. Considering that Proxima is capable of deflecting her needles, catching him off-guard first with that kick was mandatory.

As the bombardment finished, Shaula would turn to Subaru, smiling. Despite being injured, she's the happiest that she can be as of now.

"You owe me one, master." She would say, chuckling a little.

Subaru was utterly speechless, his eyes widened, he couldn't think of a reply to her. But Shaula did not care. All that she prioritises most is the safety of the one she loves. Truly, whatever it takes, she will repay him tenfold for every act of goodwill from him.

And as the smoke clears, Proxima could be seen buried under the rubble that he was sent crashing into. His aura flickers, and visible wounds could be seen throughout his body, tears in his suit being present as well. But still, an intense aura of malice bore through. He stood himself up and dusted off the debris, blood trickling down from his forehead as his eyes immediately focused upon Shaula herself.

Normally, a single Hell Snipe would kill anyone that's unlucky enough to be in its trajectory, a single needle capable of eliminating half of their body if need be. And for aura users, a single projectile is deadly enough to shatter their auras depending on how much of it they have, with the second one capable of delivering a killing blow. But for Proxima to survive a bombardment of it…one could only question how it's even possible.

"You mustn't hurt my master or anyone he protects! Shaula had decided for herself that!" She would yell out. It's a decision she had made herself, not by an order of her master, but by her own volition.

"The Crimson Scorpion, apprentice of the Great Sage…" Proxima said to her.

"You…know me?" Shaula replied to him, confused and caught off guard.

"I can see your soul, and I've heard of you." He would reply. "And if it weren't for my will having been exerted upon the world, you would've killed me."

Subaru, who's watching this exchange, was confused and caught by surprise. What did he mean by that? Bending the world to his will, it's something akin to the powers wielded by gods in the fiction that he had read years back. But, knowing the nature of Authorities, it shouldn't be hard to imagine that it could become reality.

This kind of power would allow one to master the environment around them, turning them into a weapon, or a battleground that you can ravage and destroy. It shouldn't be too difficult to think that Proxima could somehow erect a barrier of condensed air strong enough for him to withstand Hell Snipe if that is truly the case.

Proxima looked at her with murderous intent. "Why do you even protect the man behind you? That pathetic fool of a person, unworthy of his titles and achievements?"

"He's the man I love, I serve and protect him because he cares for me in return!" She retorted. "I don't care if my master is weak or unworthy, I will try my best to always be with him, to be worthy enough to stand by his side!"

His face turned into that of disgust, utterly repulsed by such words. "You deserve the same fate as him!"

Hearing those words, with a warcry, Shaula pounced and charged against Proxima, tackling him and causing him to crash against a wall. And as he was being cornered and caught off-guard, Shaula used this opportunity to beat him over and over again, using her fists to accomplish said task. Each strike made by her would cause his aura to shimmer from the damage, and shockwaves to form, a testament to her strength.

The main logic behind her action was to eliminate Proxima's mobility and opt for a more melee-focused approach. He could easily dodge and block her Hell Snipe, which meant that she would be forced to go into hand to hand combat. But even so, the advantage did not last long as she had hoped. 

"-!?"

After Proxima regained his composure, he easily caught Shaula's fist and forced her back with a kick. Shaula however landed on her two feet, skidding across the ground before pouncing back at him. Proxima counter-charged in return, the wings helping in increasing his speed. 

A fierce melee would ensue, with Proxima lunging his spear towards Shaula to which she dodged and responded with an attempt of a right hook to his face. Proxima blocked said attack and slashed his spear across her body in return, causing her to fall back in pain as the wound caused blood to be spilt.

"Hrk-!"

Shaula pushed through the pain and tried to strike him right at the chest as he moved against her. But Proxima had anticipated such an attack, side-stepping her fist's trajectory at the last moment, before choke-slamming her to the ground. Shaula tried to escape, her hands gripping Proxima's right forearm, but Proxima pinned her down further by planting his leg at her lower abdomen, forcing her not to move.

"You're incapable of defeating me, Scorpion. You know that well."

"Ahk…!"

"Shaula!" He would yell. Subaru had noticed her struggling to break free from the hold, with her suffocating from it, having a hard time breathing. But he's incapable of helping, for he's too weak to do anything against him without resulting in his death.

But Proxima paid no heed to his call, standing up, before stabbing his spear towards Shaula's abdomen. She yelled out in pain, blood spilling out as Proxima pushed the spear deeper into her. The sounds of her guts being forcefully rearranged would accompany her cries, her head turning to her master, tears in her eyes as her head turned towards him.

But Subaru was frozen, incapable of action. He could do nothing to help, his legs were too afraid to move, his body ached from his own wound as well. He truly is worthless in his own eyes now.

"See how helpless you are without your tricks and machinations?" Proxima said to him, having jammed his spear to Shaula deep enough for her to be incapable of getting it out alone. "You can't even help the one that cried out to you, pitiful."

Subaru's tears ran down his cheek as Proxima uttered those words, the feeling of hopelessness overbearing within his mind. He could not cry out in anger against him, for he has no more strength to muster. He is truly a pitiful existence, someone that cannot act without manipulating others.

Proxima would then briefly glance over to Scarlet, having been broken by her own guilt. "You're no monsters, both of you are pathetic excuses of human beings." He said, before glancing over to the sky, to where the western wing of the Academy is located, where Azrael had been sent to prior. He seemed to be expecting something to happen, yet paid no mind to it afterwards.

Though suddenly, before he could even move towards Subaru to finally finish him off, something had forced him not to. He's deeply disappointed and upset by that notion, but he knows that if he acted further, he would be forced away. "Be grateful that the Black Queen wished upon you mercy." He said, a bit agitated before walking back towards Shaula.

Having taken the spear out of Shaula's abdomen afterwards, Proxima spread his wings, looking back at them as he distanced himself towards a clearing. "Lick your wounds, I'm certain that we will encounter each other again." And he would then simply fly away, with no more words to be said.

After watching the Archbishop leaving them to their own devices, Subaru would go towards Shaula's side. He raised her head from the ground, his tearful eyes looking at her. He had failed, defeated, beaten down. He failed to save her, failed to achieve victory, failed to save everyone that he held dear. Even if they had survived this, for him this was a defeat. And he could only cry because of it, his tears falling towards Shaula's wounded body, having been broken down and exhausted both physically and mentally.

But Shaula smiled all the same, pushing through the pain the Archbishop brought, just to comfort her master. At least they could be together. And for her, that is enough.

_____________________________

In the dimly lit chambers of Beacon's vault, a duel had unfolded hours before. Yet, the remnants of that fierce clash still cast sporadic bursts of brilliance upon the surrounding halls. Much like the sparks forged by the rhythmic pounding of hot metal, these opposing forces, one wielding magic and the other their martial prowess, continued their dance of cane and spell, their weapons colliding with resounding force. 

In the midst of this intense duel, one of the formidable combatants was Ozpin, who had, for an extended duration, found himself solely on the defensive. Cinder, his relentless assailant, pressed her assault, her demeanour reflecting a sense of desperation. There was a marked absence of arrogance in her every move, as she fought with a primal determination. 

She had barely spoken, if at all,  during this fight, though that doesn't really matter to him as much as his goal of preventing her from harming others. She battled like a cornered animal, every manoeuvre aimed at survival, not dominance. 

He had wondered why her expressions showed that fact, as he kept parrying and retaliating against attack after attack. But to Cinder specifically, it doesn't matter. All she needs to do is to kill this opponent of hers, and her survival would be guaranteed, that she could live for another day and not be under the mercy of the Archbishop.

Truly, what happened between her and Proxima would not be forgotten for her. It had damaged her pride, her sense of purpose, and her mind altogether. Only a puppet to his will is all she is now.

"Aghk-!"

Ozpin would be sent hurtling backward by Cinder, a searing blast of her magic propelling him through the air. As he soared, his agile form contorted in the midst of the explosive energy, he fought to regain control over his trajectory. His outstretched hand, fingers clawing at the empty space, sought a point of stability amid the chaos. 

For a split second, it seemed as if gravity might claim victory, but then, with a surge of sheer determination, he twisted and righted himself, landing in a defensive crouch, ready to face Cinder's next assault.

Cinder stood a dozen feet away, her eyes ablaze. In that brief pause, Ozpin seized a moment to reflect. He acknowledged the stark reality that prevailing here was unlikely, given the contrasting mindsets between them. An adversary who had virtually nothing to lose but their life would undoubtedly fight with unwavering fervour.

But, something within him had truly caused a change in his decisions here. He needs to know what's going on with her thoughts, however lost it may be. If he is going to die here, then he needs to take advantage of his last moments before he would take on a next life, gaining as much information as possible.

As he recovered and stood up, using his cane as support, he spoke. "I have noticed that your mind has broken, I see no arrogance or pride, you're doing this to survive." He said, his words firm yet understanding. "What happened? Who had forced you?"

Cinder stood silent, the flames in her eyes dissipating, unresponsive to his questions. But, as if it was a miracle, she decided to speak. "Proxima…" Her only response was close to that of a whisper, but it was audible enough for Ozpin to understand.

Nonetheless, it was an unfamiliar name, certainly not associated with any colour or some kind, in fact it's pretty exotic. He would suspect that it's tied to the Black Queen, but could it work as an alias for someone?

"I…see." At the least, he considered himself knowledgeable enough to have an inkling of an idea on what had happened. He felt remorse for this person, despite her being an enemy of his.

Though, nevertheless, he sees no other purpose to be here. He had done what he could, stall for time. Anything that would happen now is of no concern. "...I do hope that fate shall be kind to you."

Cinder, her mind fractured by the weight of the Archbishop's actions towards her, consumed by a profound sense of hopelessness and desperation, found herself momentarily stunned by Ozpin's unexpected words. A flicker of surprise crossed her face, tears falling down as she did so. In that fleeting moment, amidst the chaos of their battle, a trace of something unfamiliar and unsettling stirred within her.

Ozpin chose to render himself defenceless in response, deliberately shutting down his aura. He had come to terms with his own fate, displaying unwavering courage in the looming shadow of his imminent demise. No further words were spoken, and he will leave it up to fate on what will happen next.

Cinder noticed this, and she froze. In that instant, a profound dilemma took hold of her. Ozpin's words prior had stirred an unexpected uncertainty within her fractured psyche. For a fleeting moment, she questioned the path she had chosen, the relentless pursuit of power and vengeance that had brought her to this precipice, and the consequences which it had brought upon her now. But, at the end of it, she went through with her action.

With a roaring cry, Cinder launched one final charge. Her weapon, a sword in which she had made with maiden magic, arced through the air with lethal precision. With a sickening finality, the blade severed Ozpin's head from his body. His lifeless form crumpled to the ground, and his decapitated head lay still, eyes forever gazing upon the vault's ancient walls. 

The room fell silent, and even the elements seemed to mourn the tragic end. Cinder stood, her breaths heavy, the weight of her actions settling in. It was done, and all she could do was fall to her knees, mentally exhausted from it all. As the echoes of their battle faded, a chilling hush enveloped the vault.

But just when Cinder believed herself alone in this solemn aftermath, the faintest sound of footsteps approached. A figure, cloaked in pristine white, emerged from the shadows. It was a woman, her face hidden beneath a veil, her presence an enigma. She moved with a graceful, almost ethereal stride, a stark contrast to the devastation around her.

Cinder's weary eyes locked onto this mysterious newcomer, her curiosity and exhaustion mingling. The woman's arrival, shrouded in a cloak of purity amid the aftermath of chaos, raised questions and uncertainty in Cinder's fractured mind. It made her stand up and be on guard.

Cinder's weary eyes locked onto the mysterious woman's every movement. As the enigmatic figure passed by her and stopped in her tracks, noticing her, Cinder couldn't help but notice the item hanging from her belt. Its divine aura radiated in waves, casting an otherworldly glow. Cinder recognized it instantly—the Relic of The Gods. 

She stood speechless over this. That item, she had been tasked with getting it, but her body refused to move. Instead, she asked the woman. "Who…are you?"

The woman paused for a moment, seemingly deciding on what words she should utter. "...Antares, the Summer Maiden." She said, facing her now.

Antares surveyed the lifeless form of Ozpin with a faint frown before shifting his gaze back to Cinder. "You're broken, aren't you? Pride, was it?" Her words hung in the air, laden with a mix of curiosity and concern.

Cinder's response was a timid whimper as she instinctively took a step backward. She found herself utterly speechless, unable to muster a reply to Antares' observation. A quiet sigh escaped Antares as she observed her vulnerability, recognizing the depth of her inner turmoil.

"...I understand." Antares would say to her. She's almost motherly, her voice soothing yet commanding a sort of wisdom. "Come, abandon your current path. The Black Queen and her followers will only break you further, they're not exactly the kindest bunch."

Antares extended her hand toward Cinder, the faintest hint of a compassionate smile gracing her lips. It was an invitation, an unspoken offer of salvation and guidance. "I will do my utmost to protect you," she said, her voice brimming with sincerity, "as a fellow Maiden."

Cinder, her fractured soul yearning for solace, hesitated for a moment, her eyes locked on Antares' outstretched hand. The weight of her past choices hung heavy in the air, but in this pivotal moment, a glimmer of hope beckoned from the uncharted path that Antares offered. With a mixture of trepidation and longing, Cinder reached out, her trembling fingers brushing against Antares' in a silent promise of transformation and redemption.

As Cinder's fingers intertwined with Antares', a fragile connection formed, a lifeline between two souls on divergent paths. Cinder's voice, tainted by uncertainty, finally found words. "Can I...be saved? Can I find redemption?"

Antares met Cinder's gaze with unwavering compassion. "Yes," she replied, her voice carrying a quiet strength. "But redemption is a journey you must embark on yourself, with every step marked by the choices you make."

Together, they left the vaults of Beacon Academy, their footsteps echoing in the solemn silence. Before departing however, Antares cast one last, lingering look over Ozpin's lifeless remains, a silent farewell to a fallen guardian. Her voice, barely a whisper, carried the weight of a promise as she murmured, "I will make sure to make things right, Ozpin."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.9K 567 23
You are Adam Taurus' twin brother. You and your brother Adam both grew up in an abusive household which eventually led you and your brother to join t...
61K 904 47
I DO NOT OWN RWBY ROOSTER TEETH OWNS RWBY THERE ARE SOME FEW SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED RWBY YET So this is just a fanfic for the readers who wa...
53.5K 697 25
After Jaune transcript was revealed by Cardin the entire school went against him only the only people who support him were Ruby, Team JNPR, And CFVY...
437 24 6
The World of Remnant is filled to the brim with the creatures of Grimm as well as other hidden forces bent on destruction, and the only ones willing...