Shards of Glass

Von authormakenna

Camilla Carter has had a rough life of abuse and pain. Her twin sister protects her as much as she can, until... Mehr

A u t h o r ' s N o t e
C h a r a c t e r B o a r d ' s
P l a y l i s t
P r o l o g u e
C h a p t e r 1
C h a p t e r 2
C h a p t e r 3
C h a p t e r 5
C h a p t e r 6
C h a p t e r 7
C h a p t e r 8
C h a p t e r 9
C h a p t e r 1 0
C h a p t e r 1 1
C h a p t e r 1 2
C h a p t e r 1 3
C h a p t e r 1 4
C h a p t e r 1 5
C h a p t e r 1 6
C h a p t e r 1 7
C h a p t e r 1 8
C h a p t e r 1 9
C h a p t e r 2 0
C h a p t e r 2 1
C h a p t e r 2 2
C h a p t e r 2 3
C h a p t e r 2 4
C h a p t e r 2 5
C h a p t e r 2 6
C h a p t e r 2 7
C h a p t e r 2 8
C h a p t e r 2 9
C h a p t e r 3 0
C h a p t e r 3 1
C h a p t e r 3 2
C h a p t e r 3 3
C h a p t e r 3 4
C h a p t e r 3 5
C h a p t e r 3 6
C h a p t e r 3 7
C h a p t e r 3 8
C h a p t e r 3 9
C h a p t e r 4 0
A u t h o r ' s N o t e
Re-Write

C h a p t e r 4

955 21 1
Von authormakenna

Chapter 4: A Grip On The Wrist

"She was so artistic, painting smiles on everyone's faces but her own."

✰✰✰

"Remember to complete tonight's homework!" Our anatomy teacher yelled as kids got up to leave the class.

Maggie and I walked out of our class and started to head towards the locker building.

"What do you think of Oakwood View High School?" Maggie asks as we open the doors to the building.

"I actually really like it here! Newport High School was... just not the best school."

At Newport High School, I was very heavily bullied by the 'popular' couple there. Erica Hobbs and Cory Ray. No one knew about the bullying, not even Camryn. The only reason I wanted to go back to that school after Camryn died was because I thought the teachers would think something was up and call the police. I'm too scared to do it on my own.

"Well, I'm glad you came here! It's nice to be friends with someone who isn't Adrian or Keaton."

I laugh, "I would imagine."

We get to our lockers. Opening and grabbing the books we need before shutting them.

"You work today right?"

"Yeah. I walk straight from here to the boxing arena."

"Keaton left his bag at lunch today so I have to drop it off, I can take you if you want?" Maggie says.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm going there now, it's on the way and regardless I would have still asked you."

I smile, "Oh, okay. That sounds nice."

We both head out of the building, towards the parking lot.

As we approach the car I stop, flabbergasted. "This is your car?" I screech.

Maggie laughs, "Yeah."

To clarify, my dream car is a black Audi. I don't even know why... don't ask.

But this is the car Maggie has if you already couldn't tell.

"Hop in!" Maggie shakes her keys in the air.

I nod with excitement and get into the passenger seat.

On the way to the boxing arena, Maggie and I talk about our classes and homework. I know it's boring but we have each other in every class so we need to take advantage of that.

We pull up to the front entrance. We get out of the car, heading inside.

"I'm going to give this to Keaton since he is here already but I want to say bye to you before I go." Maggie says.

"Okay. I'm going to change in the locker then I can meet you back here?" I suggest.

She nods.

I quickly head into the locker room, going straight to my locker.

As I open the locker, I set my backpack on the bench behind me.

I changed into my black leggings and maroon colored polo shirt. I clip my ID badge onto my shirt before throwing my hair into a low ponytail, since I took my hair out of it earlier.

I put everything else in my locker before locking it shut.

I head out of the locker seeing Devin leaning against the hall right out of the locker rooms.

"Hey Devin," I wave, walking past him.

He grabs my wrist pulling me towards him. "What's up with you?" He asks with raised eyebrows.

I yank my wrist towards me. "What are you talking about?"

"I noticed how you seemed when you walked inside."

I shake my head, "Everything is fine." I say before turning around and heading towards the front where I am supposed to meet Maggie.

As I am heading that direction, Devin grabs ahold of my wrist, pushing me into the infirmary door. Which is about 20 feet away from the entrance of the arena.

"What?" I snap.

He lifts his hands to the side of my head. He pulls his hand leaving a slight, red, gooey substance covering the front of his fingers.

I don't know why it's still bleeding.

"What is this?"

I shake my head, "nothing." I say pushing him out of the way, standing in front of him.

"What happened Cami? That's not nothing."

"I was doing stitches on an aggressive fighter." I say simply.

"Cami, don't lie. I was around you most of the shift."

"Not when the curtain is closed." I add on.

He folds his arms across his chest, "why didn't you get stitches?"

"I haven't had time to get my kit."

He shakes his head, "No not yourself. Why haven't your parents taken you to a doctor."

I avoid his gaze, looking down at my feet. Devin doesn't know anything that goes on at home, either. All he knows is that I have a twin sister, Camryn. Since she would come watch the fights sometimes. As long as Devin doesn't ask questions, I can avoid another beating.

He walks forward, lifting my chin up to meet his eyes. "Is there something going on at home?"

I take several steps back. "No. Just drop it, Devin."

"I'm not going to drop it! What is going on?"

I quickly dig through my pockets, grabbing the infirmary door key. "Drop it, Devin."

I walk up to the door unlocking it. I stop short when Devin grabs my wrist, digging his nails into my wrist.

"Ow! Devin you're hurting me!"

Quickly, Devin is pulled back to the floor.

"I believe she said to drop it." Keaton spits into Devins face.

"It's none of your business. Back off!" Devin yells back into Keatons face.

Okay hear me out. I know Devin is my work partner and that I am not the biggest fan of Keaton but... Keaton is a fighter, why would he be stupid and yell back at him?

"It is my business when you laid a single hand on her."

Keaton punches him square in face and that's when I decide to step in.

"Keaton, it's fine. Just go find Maggie."

He hesitantly stands up and walks over towards me. "I didn't do that for you. Frankly, I don't like you but Maggie does so I have to deal with you. I only did that because he laid a hand on you, I would have defended any girl in your position." He says before walking off.

Devin starts to stand up. "Cami-"

"Leave me alone Devin." I snap, opening the infirmary door and turning the lights on.

"Just tell me what happened to your head!"

I turn around to face him, "why do you care? Did you not learn when Keaton tackled and punched you?"

He rolls his eyes, "Because I can tell you're lying and I want to know why."

"Camilla, is there a problem here?"

I look over at the doorway and see Maggie leaning against it.

"Nope. No problem at all." I smile at her.

I look back at Devin. "Go set up the ring. I will cover your shift Friday night."

"You can't do that! That's twice as much on a normal night plus its main event!"

I throw my hands in the air. "I'm the best one here. You let me take the shift and I won't go to the manager about what happened."

"I still need to show you the ropes of it."

I shrug, "I'm a big girl, I can figure it out."

I walk back towards Maggie. "I'm assuming you're about to head out?"

She nods.

"Let me walk you out."

We both walk towards the entrance. She looks down and notices deep red marks covering my wrist.

She lifts my wrist closer to her vision. "What happened?"

I pull my wrist back. "Nothing, it's okay."

She knits her eyebrows together. "Not what I'm hearing. Adrian was talking about Keaton defending some girl. By the look of your wrist I can tell it was you."

I narrow my eyebrows together, "How did you-"

She cuts me off, "he doesn't like when men lay a finger on a woman in any wrong way. Are you okay though? I can stay longer."

"Maggie, I'm okay. Devin just thinks I'm lying about my head injury."

"Well are you?" She raises a hand, "Don't answer that. We don't know each other well enough yet. Devin is your co-worker?"

I nod, "In here the med team gets assigned a partner to work with on shifts. I have worked with Devin for years and nothing like what happened today has ever happened before. I have never worked a night shift and was supposed to help him cover on Friday."

"But after today you want to cover it by yourself." She finished.

I nod.

She inhales a deep breath, "on Friday, you won't be bored. I will stick with you and be-like a medical assistant."

I smile, "okay."

"Well, I should probably start to head out."

"Okay, thank you Maggie. See you in the morning." I wave.

She waves back, "Bye!" She walks out the door.

As she leaves I think about what happened. Keaton defended me when I knew from last night that he didn't like me but he did it because he doesn't like it when a guy lays a hand on a girl. But if he can't stand me, why would he defend me?

"Cami! Stock the infirmary before the fight!" I hear Devin yell.

I walk back towards the infirmary. "If you speak to me one more time tonight I will take you in that ring and beat your ass myself. Got it?"

He nods before turning back.

I walk into the infirmary to restock the cabinets, change sheets and clean the counters from the night before. Right as I am finishing up I hear footsteps walk in.

"Devin, what did I tell you?" I turn around and see Adrian. "Oh. I'm sorry, I thought you were my co-worker."

Adrian laughs. "I know what happened between Devin, you and Keaton. I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I know I have only known you since last night but if you need help to keep him away from you-"

I cut him off. "Adrian, it's fine. I have worked with Devin for years and nothing like today has happened before. It's nothing I can't handle. I'm sure by tomorrow he will act like his usual self."

"Camilla, obviously we haven't known each other very long but I hope we are friends for a long time. You seem like you need some friends."

I laugh. "Thanks."

"I'm fighting tonight if you want to watch."

"It's my job to watch the fights. I don't have a choice but to watch you throw horrendous punches."

"Hey! I'm a good fighter!"

I laugh, "I'm sure." I say in a sarcastic-joking tone.

He rolls his eyes and the room goes silent.

After a couple minutes he speaks up.

He smiles, "Welcome to the group Camilla."

Author's Note:

Hi lovelies! Thank you for reading my story. It means a lot! Hope you have an amazing day!

Vote and Comment if you want! :)

Instagram:@ author.makenna

Follow for sneak peeks and discussion boards!

What are your thoughts on Devin?

Find out next time on Shards of Glass!

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

30.4K 948 53
Lucy Grey is a strong willed girl who goes to college, she has it all two best friends, a boyfriend who loves her, wonderful sister, perfect grades...
734K 12.5K 35
Savannah was used to life she had, being the black sheep of the family, until Daniel De Luna, next in line to be the Royal Alpha,swept her of her fee...
19.1K 716 38
Kenzie Scott is a high school student dealing with her parents divorce when she ends up befriending the schools infamous bad boy, Clay Helms. Clay H...
30.1K 1.2K 50
No. 1 in #Cagefighter 06/20/19 "You don't understand. I know a lot of bad people, Dani. People that will try to hurt me by hurting the people I care...