Breaking Steele (Sarah Steele...

By Aaron_Patterson

From USA Today and New York Times bestselling author Aaron Patterson, the New York Times bestselling BREAKING... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 & 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Untitled Part 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chpater 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Twisting Steele

Chapter 45

5.1K 466 2
By Aaron_Patterson

“MISS—MISS, WE CAN take it from here.” A paramedic took my arm and pulled me away from Angela. I stumbled back and Detective Monroe grabbed me.

They’d come with a full SWAT team. Without a sound. All I saw were flashlights glowing on the end of big guns before they surrounded me. If Detective Monroe hadn’t been there, I’d have been handcuffed and accused.

I watched as the medics worked on Angela to stabilize her, and they soon had her in the back of the ambulance and on her way to the hospital. “Where are they taking her?” I asked a medic standing by the pool of blood.

“St. Luke’s. She’s lost a lot of blood. We gave her something to stop the bleeding.” He looked gravely at the blood and then back at me. “She wouldn’t have survived much longer. Good thing you came when you did.”

“You mean the wound wasn’t new?” I whispered. Detective Monroe leaned in to listen.

“No, it looked to be a few hours old.” He wiped his hands with a disinfectant cloth and then handed me a clean one.

A few hours old. That was probably around the time Mandy and Rick called the police.

I shuddered. The Williams’ knew every one of our moves.

“Thanks.” My head was spinning and I sat down on a wooden sawhorse. Forensics teams were appearing, and Detective Ross was telling them where to go and what to do. It was just a flurry of words and noises.

She was alive, I found her, and if I’d been even fifteen minutes later, she’d be dead. I was so angry that I had to force myself to think about my surroundings so I wouldn’t fly into a fit of rage. He used me, was playing me, and I felt like a puppet on a string.

Detective Monroe finished a phone call and then turned to me. “The hospital said they’ve stabilized her. They think her attacker gave her a blood thinner so she’d bleed out faster.”

I curled my lip. “It was Hank Williams, not just some attacker.”

Detective Monroe put his hands on his hips and sighed. I braced myself for the inevitable scolding.

“Sarah, what you did was ginormously stupid.”

I didn’t think “ginormously” was a word, but I wasn’t going to mention it to him.

“But . . .” he hesitated, and his mouth twitched through his frown, “but you did good. You saved her life.”

I hugged myself, hunching over, suddenly feeling cold all over.

“Hey!” he said. I looked up quickly. He had a sober look in his eye. “Don’t you ever do that again, you hear me?”

My whole body felt like mush, and weariness enveloped me. “I hope I never have to,” I said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.5K 2.3K 77
BANG... BANG..... BANG I jumped up out my sleep to three gun shots. I creep up to my door, opening it up just a little, seeing my father go to my...
7.5K 334 12
"A sky full of stars, yet he was staring at her..." an F4 fanfiction. Ren x OC
1.7M 35.7K 34
After a tragic accident that completely changes her life, Annie and her twin brother, Austin, are taken in by the Emersons, a family of seven (drop-d...
78.6K 1.8K 24
Ever since her mother was murdered by humans, Rachel has been afraid to trust anyone, much less a human. It's forbiddin that a mermaid and a human fa...