Children of the Revolution: Y...

By burntmoony

In their first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Genevieve Rosier, Marlene Williams, Violet... More

Chapter 1 - Marlene Williams
Chapter 2 - Genevieve Rosier
Chapter 3 - Rosalie Selwyn
Chapter 4 - Violette Gwynn
Chapter 5 - Marlene Williams

Chapter 6 - Genevieve Rosier

9 0 0
By burntmoony

Most of the day went by quickly, admittedly. I was walking with Marlene, Violette, and Rosalie to our first flying lesson, which took place on a grassy field that laid in a valley of the castle. In all honesty, I had no desire to do much else with a broom than learn to fly for the necessity of it. I never grew up with quidditch or football or anything of the like and I had no plans to start such a hobby.

We made our way over walking outside of the school and to our designated class area. On the grass, the brooms were set up in two lines.

"Alright class, put down your bags and choose a broom," A woman with a pixie cut yelled. Based on her whole get up and stern look, I was guessing she was the quidditch coach. No sane woman would dress in such a way... And surely no sane woman would teach quidditch, of all things.

"I am Madam Hooch, the quidditch instructor."

Ah, correct I am.

As Madam Hooch explained the basics of flying on a broom- rules and such that a few unlucky students were sure to fail- I made sure to listen closely. No way that I would be the single student to fall off their bloody broom on the first day! Madam Hooch explained how to exactly hold the broom, showing each step of the process. I stole a glance around the rest of the class; many students seemed fairly excited, but quite a few (Neville Longbottom included unsurprisingly) looked quite green at the idea of flight.

Soon, Madam Hooch called out for us to begin rising.

I cleared my throat and straightened up, "Up!"

The broom merely wiggled on the ground.

"Up!" I called again, against the chorus of voices around me.

This time around, the broom began a confident rise before it plummeted back down. I huffed out an annoyed breath and glanced around. Fortunately, only a few students had successfully gotten their broom up into the air.

One more try...

"Up!"

The broom flew up into my hand with a shocking amount of force behind it.

I smiled with a smug sigh. Third time's the charm.

Madam Hooch then instructed us to sit on the broom and hover above the ground. I went on my broom and it slowly began to rise up. I only hovered for a few seconds before I landed safely. I held the broom with what I knew was well deserved confidence. Not a single fall quite yet, hm? Not ever.

Out of the corner of my eye, a boy's broom was out of control, jerking him left and right. I squinted at the sight, trying to make out who the boy was and—

Oh, Neville Longbottom, of course.

His broom was getting higher and higher until suddenly Neville fell off and landed right on his arm. The class gasped and winced at the fall as Madam Hooch rushed over to him. She helped him up and inspected his arm.

"None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are, or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch'!" She yelled at us, walking away with the boy.

I looked around at the students around me, but most seemed fairly distraught or confused. Maybe Weasley would be the next one to take a dive...

Draco broke through the crowd then, walking up to the front of the class and picking up a small ball. I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest and awaiting whatever show the blond boy was about to put on. He'd also been getting on my nerves a little bit today. He started off strong yesterday with his acting out in the Great Hall, but the stupid prick had to keep on going today. Obviously, he got some sort of euphoria from teasing other kids, but he couldn't just joke about family matters like Rosalie's!

The little ferret acted all tough with that secret. He must've felt so bloody incredible holding that over Rosalie's head. Somehow though, the little idiot came to his wits and assured both Rosalie and I that he wasn't about to tattle off to his precious father.

I, somewhat, regret letting Rosalie wander off with him alone earlier, but, frankly, it wasn't my conversation to have, now was it? And she was grown enough, wasn't she? Although my parents aren't entirely happy I was sorted into Gryffindor, of all houses, they weren't going to disown me for it. Even with all the help I could provide Rosalie, my family were hardly ones to cause enough of a stir to gain attention from other families. If the news had already traveled far enough that the Malfoys already heard of the chaos Rosalie's sorting might bring, my family needed nothing to do with it. The Rosier family already caused enough chaos in wizarding history.

Draco might be a little pesky rat, but I could only hope that he'd keep his wits about himself when it came to Rosalie and, well, me. Pureblood's words travel fast. I don't need my parents down my throat about my choices in friends and portrayal of myself. At home, I'll keep my word to presenting myself as a lady with appropriate manners, but, at Hogwarts, I was going to do whatever I bloody wanted! Well, within reason, of course. No part of my being primarily desired becoming best friends with a house elf or offering a squib a helping hand.

Draco's words cut through my thoughts, "Look! Its that stupid thing Longbottoms' gran sent him." He scoffed, rolling it around his hands. Harry, living up to his righteous title apparently, stepped up with a small glare, "Give it here, Malfoy," Harry yelled to him, walking up with his broom.

Draco stepped on the end of the broom and it slowly lifted up into the air, "Come and get it, Potter." He teased, flying further away. Harry didn't hesitate, quickly getting onto his broom and chasing after him.

The rest of the class rushed after them, ending up in a huddled group whose necks were craned up towards the sky as the two boys flew through the air.

"They're good flyers," Marlene admitted, speaking mostly about Harry, of course.

"They're also both bloody idiots." Rosalie scolded while crossing her arms. I rolled my eyes at her. The boys could get in whatever trouble they pleased. It was their reputations they would ruin.

Harry and Draco were in the sky for quite some time. It almost looked like they were playing tag. Completely childish if you ask me. Draco, suddenly, dropped the red orb, letting it fall to the ground. Harry was quick to swoop in and grab it with his left hand before he flew back over to us, holding it above him with a triumphant grin.

The class cheered for him as he flew closer to the ground, yelling his name as he landed and clapped for him. Draco flew back down to his friends in the back, scowl placed firmly on his face.

I got wrapped up in the little celebration, admittedly impressed by Potter's abilities. Perhaps, he truly was as much as Ron and Hermione talked him up to be. Maybe.

"HARRY POTTER!" Professor McGonagall's voice echoed across the field, startling us. Harry paled as McGonagall marched over to him before pulling him with her back to the castle.

"Bye bye, Potter!" Draco said with an evil smirk on his face, laughing with his friends.

Flying lessons ended a while later, but dinner was at seven which meant there was some free time I could greedily take advantage of. I decided to use it to my advantage and go to the library to do all my homework. Walking all the way back to the common room, I grabbed my books, some parchment, a quill, and some ink. I bid my farewell to the lady in the painting, and made my way down the moving stairs.

As I reached the bottom, I saw Hermione holding a stack of books in her arms. "Granger!" I called, coming up to her side, "Going to the library?"

"Yes, actually. I'm completing an assignment for Herbology, Neville is meeting me there. Would you like to join us?" she asked, losing grip of her books.

I thought it over for a short second, mildly despaired by the mention of Longbottom. Even if Granger was a muggleborn, she was quite smart and I could always benefit from an intelligent confidant. Longbottom, though... We would have to wait and see. But, well, it wasn't like Rosalie was around to bide the time with. Granger, I suppose, would have to do.

"Sure." I replied before setting off to the library, Granger following behind quickly.

The two of us walked to the library together, talking about this thing or another until she boldly brought up Rosalie's little snake problem. I took pity on the smart girl and threw her a bone, wondering aloud if it possibly had to do with Lucius Malfoy's hopes of a blooming friendship between his son and Rosalie.

Not exactly on the nose, but certainly enough for young Granger to meddle with.

We reached the library and headed to the back where Neville was waiting. He had multiple books in front of him while taking notes with a quill, Hermione and I sat across from him. Neville was... a kind boy, I guess. Selfless, although a mild people pleaser.

I immediately started to do my potions homework, then moved onto charms, and herbology. Neville was teaching Hermione the differences between a few plants for a test next week and, in return, Hermione was helping Neville with a few charms.

I would like to consider myself quite experienced in herbology. When I was younger, my father would bring in a tutor that specialized in herbology just as he brought in a specialized tutor for beginner's potions. The tutor taught me well, evidently. I finished up my schoolwork and collected my ink and quill before I said my goodbyes to Neville and Hermione, telling them I would see them at dinner. The time was 6:30, which means I had enough time to go back to the common room and relax with a book.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and took a nice stroll through the castle. I decided to take the long way back. I walked through the different archways and buildings, admiring all the stained glass windows.

As I walked, I pondered on some of my peers for just a few fleeting moments. Crazy how houses can separate people.

I never grew up around many other children, just a select few that I found out went to Beauxbatons and Durmstrang rather than Hogwarts, but, evidently, I was much more socialized than some of these other children here who couldn't work past simple house differences, Malfoy and Weasley included. Both were purebloods, but neither seemed to understand that purebloods set the example here! Hardly any of the purebloods in my year acted appropriately. Perhaps that Zabini or one of the Greengrass sisters, if I were being forgiving. At least, Weasley had the entire blood traitor hit that put a dent in his reputation, but, Malfoy? Well, he was just bloody stupid. I valued my time with purebloods, but even I wasn't stupid enough to stick only with a single house of purebloods and thus limit my connections.

I reached the room filled with staircases and made my way up to the lady in the painting, "Fortuna Major." I said clearly, clearing my head from my train of thought.

She let me in and I walked into the common room. It was empty besides a small Rosalie huddled on the couch. I sighed, dropping my bag into a chair nearby before sitting next to her, "Hey," I said, taking off my robe and placing it next to me.

"Hi," she said back, looking miserable.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked quietly.

She shrugged, "No matter, really." She sniffed, "Someone told my parents about my sorting before I could." I squeezed my eyes shut for just a few moments.

We had been so close to keeping the news from reaching her parents so soon.

"Draco?"

She shook her head and I was grateful for the news, "Some sixth year. I don't know their name." Her head fell back against the couch, eyes squeezed shut as a few stray tears slid down her cheeks. "It's bad," she choked out.

I looked at her sympathetically, secretly grateful for how forgiving my parents appeared to be. I reached an arm around her comfortingly, "It'll be okay, Rosalie."

"They're really, really mad." She whispered.

I nodded along, letting her speak.

"They aren't relieving me of the family or anything yet... but they kept saying they were going to be watching me closely in their letter. My father wouldn't even sign off the letter."

We sat there for a couple minutes, silent. Within the silence, my eyes drifted over to the abandoned letter, open, on the coffee table before us. I reached for the letter, pausing for any refusal from Rosalie, but she remained silent. Whether because of her feeling comfortable with the letter in my hands, or being entirely unaware of my reaching, I let my fingers close around the letter.

I casted one more glance at the girl next to me, to find her with her eyes shut tightly, head against the back of the couch. A few tears slipped down her cheeks. I tightened my arm around her before I let my eyes drift once more to the letter. The Selwyn family crest sat at the very top of the letter, bold in a deep red and gold. Nerves twisted in my gut at the deep color, eerily aware of the importance of such a deep, bloody color within such particular families.

I steeled myself for the words I was to read, finally focusing on the precise calligraphy on the page:

I let out a long sigh before I carefully set the letter back down, trying hard to clear my mind once more. Rosalie didn't need another person to let her down right now, or another person she felt she had disappointed.

I let her cry for as long as she needed until she pulled away and messily wiped at her cheeks, "We should go," she spoke quickly, clearing her throat, "Dinner is soon, isn't it?" Rosalie stood up, wiping the last of her tears.

I sat, waiting, patient with her quick dismissal of her recent upset state. Rosalie went to check her face in the mirror, swiping away at wet cheeks and running a hand through her hair. As I waited, I grabbed my robe and put it on before we left the common room and began the walk down the series of staircases.

As we walked, I caught a frown on Rosalie's face, which disappeared when a few students came around a corner.

How could we explain this to our friends? They might understand disappointing their parents, but not to this degree.

If Rosalie made any more mistakes, she was as good as disowned and disinherited. She would be another cast out family member of yet another family, just as the Blacks suffered from years back.

The thought sent a chill down my spine. The last disinherited son of a pureblood family ended up in Azkaban... Rosalie couldn't possibly go down the same path, but when there's someone in a powerful seat, there's always a way.

Eventually, we sat down at the Gryffindor table with everyone else, Dinner went as normal, mostly, besides both Rosalie and I's somewhat lacking appetites. When we later returned to the common room, Violette caught me before I could go inside. "Hey," she started, "Is Rosalie ok? She seemed... down earlier at dinner." she asked.

"Just some family stuff, nothing to be worried about." I dismissed casually, "It's normal family matters, in all honesty. It'll be resolved soon enough." Violette took my answer at face value and nodded, hurrying into the common room. A frown worked its way onto my lips for a brief few seconds.

Such a downplayed statement. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 32 26
Violet Potter has always been an unusual girl. Orphaned when she was only a year old and separated from her twin brother, Violet Potter was brought u...
6.2K 234 25
Hailee Potter would be the last person one would think would run away from 'home'. Simply put, said people couldn't be more wrong. Of the year 1995...
1.4K 159 37
**HARRY POTTER UNIVERSE** Genevieve Wilkins: a name no one really knows. Being "muggle-born" and Slytherin, Gen the witch was seen as inferior to p...