The Alloys of the Blend

By SpiralingPages

*COMPLETE* On the brink of failing chemistry, Evie has two options: to fail, or to be tutored. Accepting the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 4

35 1 0
By SpiralingPages

Joining their other classmates, the bulk of them already seated and ready for the chemistry lecture, Evie and her friends made their presence known. Per usual, of course. Chatting, their voices carrying with volume, they took their seats in the back of the room, plopping their bags on the floor. The rest of the class looked back at their peers, before returning their stares at their notebooks and restarting their quiet conversations.

Doug was one of those students who looked over, catching Evie's eye contact. She gave him a small and short smile before her hair whipped around and she engaged in Jay and Carlos' antics.

"My students," Mrs. Hobbs said, a few minutes after the clock struck twelve. She walked through the room to her desk in the front and set down her bag. "I apologize for my tardiness. I met with my colleagues we have concluded—to many of your benefits—that we will add another assignment to the semester. Before you get riled up, hear me out." She flicked on the projector in the room and sat in the swivel chair.

"It is a group project on one of the periodic table elements. The table is something everyone in this class should be familiar with. You'll pick your group and will do a report on that element. Think of this as a timely extra credit opportunity to bump your grade up, okay? It's worth 85 points. I'll pass out the assignment after the lecture and I'll take questions at the end."

The class was still silent, a few students searching for group members while the instructor's PowerPoint loaded and she got around to taking attendance. In the back of the room, Evie took out her phone and looked through the grade book. Currently her grade stood at a C-, just a solid 72%. Up from the D- she had for the most part of the semester, she knew this project would either make or break her grade. While some of her friends were at the table diagonal from her, deciding who to work with, Evie's thoughts landed on Doug. He was her tutor, he had helped her to bump her grade up, so he likely could help propel her grade.

"Hey, whatcha thinking about?" Mal asked her friend who was staring at the blank white wall in front of her.

"Oh, just my grade. If I can manage to get an A or B on this project, I could actually maintain a passing grade in this class," Evie said, catching Jay and Carlos' attention.

"You mean Evie could get a passing grade... in chemistry?!" Jay teased, receiving a slap on his forearm from Evie. With a glare, she returned her attention to her phone.

"Yes. If I manage to get a good score, it might actually skyrocket my total points," she further explained, Carlos taking out his fancy calculator. Jay scoffed at his friend, who out of all of them, was the only one who actually owned a calculator.

"Yeah, she's right. You have 288 points out of 400. Since it's worth 85 and you get an A or even a B, you'll be at a solid C."

"Did you actually need to do the math?" Jay laughed, Carlos throwing a scrap piece of paper his way. It almost hit Mal, the girl grabbing it and unraveling it to make an airplane to send Jay's way. Their antics caught Mrs. Hobbs' attention, the four quickly piping down.

Once the lecture was over, the instructor released the students to get started. While most students goofed off after finding their groups, Evie kept her eye on Doug to see if he was planning to work with someone.

"Why don't you ask your tutor?" Mal asked, her eyes following Evie's. Evie turned to her friend, unsure of what they were going to think. She didn't want to pretend like he was so intolerable, but she also didn't want anyone to think that they were close or even friends for that matter.

"M, I will. I'm just trying to think of the best way to inform him that it would benefit me to work with him," Evie explained, her words coming out much harsher than she thought. She didn't want to admit that she cared even a smidge for his feelings, she just needed the grade. That was it. That's where their association with one another began.

"Just do it. He tutors you and probably thinks you're hot like the rest of the guys here. Plus, he is way too nice to turn you down," Audrey said leaning back in her seat from the next table over.. She and Evie were not the best of friends but they shared the same circles. "I mean it's Doug."

"Okay, okay," Evie said, convinced enough to go ask him. She didn't pinpoint where her nervousness stemmed from, but something inside her just didn't feel as it should. As she approached his table, he was in the middle of going over something with another table mate. The student looked over to Evie, nudging Doug who hadn't noticed.

"Oh, hi Evie," he said, putting down his pencil and turning toward her from his seat.

"Do you want to work together? Since you tutor me, I feel like it wouldn't hurt to collaborate, you know?" Evie leaned her hand on a section of the table. She glanced to see her hand centimeters away from his and she shifted it away.

"Uh, sure. That makes sense. Yeah, sounds great."

"Cool," Evie said, a beam lighting up her face.

Rather than sitting in her feelings knowing that she was taking advantage of Doug, she thought of what her mother would think. Although she spent 99% percent of her time on campus, she still felt like she had to please her. Grimhilde would have liked that she was tapping into her manipulation skills, but Evie herself felt guilt instead.

* * *

"Three cloudberry frappes," Mal ordered, only giving the barista a glance. She recognized her from Auradon Prep, but didn't give a thought to making conversation. Seated in the back of the coffeehouse, she awaited the arrival of the rest of her friends. About to dial a four-way call, she saw heads belonging to Jay and Carlos. As they walked through the second half of the building to the far back, they both had equal smiles on their faces.

"What?" Mal asked, scooting over in her booth so Jay could sit down, Carlos sitting opposite of them.

"Miss Blueberry's tutor sessions. She's a pretty good actor. Giggling, chatting, the works."

"All that with Doug, huh?" Mal inquired. Carlos confirmed the news, nodding his head. "You're telling me she's late to hang out with us because she's making small talk with the guy she supposedly doesn't like?"

"Sure... but it sounds like someone's bitter," Carlos said jokingly, Mal grumbling in return. She threw her hands up in exasperation.

"Hobbs couldn't have had you tutor her?" Mal asked rhetorically, gesturing toward Carlos.

"I know you're not exactly looking for an answer, but I doubt Evie would have actually changed her ways," Carlos objected. "And here she comes," he pointed, the blue-haired girl walking toward the usual table.

Arriving, Evie put her bag between herself and the wall as Carlos let her scoot in the booth next to him. "Hey guys. Sorry we went overtime, there was so much to map out for the project. I'm all yours now."

"Fun. I didn't order you a cloudberry frap, since I guessed that you didn't want to go over your calorie limit today," Mal noted, Evie shrugging it off.

"I already planned to go over. Doug said he'd get someone to bring me out an extra cream iced tea, it's fine."

"Well, you seem to enjoy your tutoring sessions," Mal began, glancing away for a moment. "Is the way you interact with him genuine?"

Evie could feel everything go numb around her. She knew what they were getting at. She had no idea why she had been so dumb as to pretend like no one else was around a few minutes ago. They must have noticed her loosening up around him. "It's just an act. I mean it makes things less awkward if I'm acting like that, you know how anxious he gets. Besides, did you forget who my mom is?"

"Nah. Just try to catch a pulse on the acting. It seemed too real," Mal mentioned.

Their drinks were brought out in record time, Evie identified the barista, one of Doug's cousins. That and the joke on the side of her cup is what set the rest of her friends off.

"Okay, what's really the deal with you and four-eyes? You seem way too close," Jay blurted after the barista left. The three teens' eyes drew toward Evie.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. I'm just trying to be compromising."

"But you're going too far. Are you trying to lead him on? Because that's the only way I could see what you're doing has a benefit. The more he likes you, the more he'll help you?" Jay reasoned. Mal's eyes glinted to Jay, impressed with his critique of Evie's behavior. A part of her didn't expect him to do so, but then again, she and Jay had been close when they were younger.

"I am! I'm not trying to befriend him," Evie agreed without hesitation. It was the only thing left to do to clear their doubts. She legitimately hadn't been doing anything of the sort, but now, apparently she was. The others chuckled while she blew out a sigh.

"Honestly, that's hilarious. I dare you to continue," Jay said.

"Isn't that like playing with someone's feelings?" Carlos asked.

"I mean she's only playing into the impression that he already believes in," Jay responded.

Looking back and forth between her friends deciding on how she would manipulate her tutor's feelings, she had to detach herself from the conversation. That is until they asked if she would agree to the dare.

"I don't know..."

"You're pretending and basically doing what you're already doing. What's the issue?" Mal asked.

Evie thought for a second and looked at the joke on her cup. He was her tutor to improve her grade. So it wouldn't hurt to please her friends. It was just something awfully minor in the scope of things. He probably had some feelings for her anyway, so would it really hurt to play into it? It was something that wouldn't happen otherwise, but for this instance she could do it. Maybe she could do it to see him happy. To have him think that someone cared to be interested in him.

"Yeah. I'll do it."

As the group left The Daily Blend, they walked back to campus, Carlos and Evie lagging behind. As the quad came into view and they were just about to separate paths to their respective dorms, Carlos stopped for a second.

"Hey, you seem a bit bothered. Is it the 'playing with his feelings' thing?" He asked, putting up an air quote.

Evie stopped too and gave both Jay and Mal a wave, the other two continuing on. She wished to tell Carlos, knowing he'd understand. Out of her friends, he was the one she was slightly closer to. However, she felt she couldn't risk it. Maybe later if her feelings worsened. Shaking her head, she got herself together enough to smile. "No, I'm fine."

Looking at his friend for a second more, Carlos accepted her answer. Reciprocating a weak smile, he started in the direction of his dorm. "Cool. Just, uh, let me know if you want to talk. I'm always here." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 51.8K 68
*completed Navigating your way through an American high school is hard enough without adding an accent into the mix. British girl Evie seemingly had...
1.1K 409 8
ʜᴇ ᴘʀᴏᴘᴏꜱᴇꜱ ʜᴇʀ ʙᴜᴛ ꜱʜᴇ ꜱᴍᴀᴄᴋꜱ ʜɪᴍ ʜᴀʀᴅ ᴏɴ ʜɪꜱ ᴄʜᴇᴇᴋ. ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏᴇꜱ ᴅᴇꜱᴛɪɴʏ ʜᴏʟᴅꜱ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇᴍ? ɴᴏᴛᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʟᴏᴛ ɪᴅᴇᴀꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ. ••ᴡʀɪᴛᴛᴇɴ...
1.8K 38 12
Evie has a twin sister she isn't friends with the core 4 but is still there for her sister. She gets to go to auradon with her sister and her friend...
97 0 14
Two Bestriends torn apart at the start of their sophomore year. Fighting back feelings, facing their own outer problems and inner demons. Will they m...