The Deal (ON HOLD)

By 24_7_dreamer

Harmony has always been the girl that nobody ever really paid attention to. She was the quiet girl in all of... More

Cast
Chapter 1: Energy
Chapter 2: Connect
Chapter 3: 8 Out of 10
Chapter 4: The Ride
Chapter 5: Free Smoke
Chapter 6: Miss Me
Chapter 7: Diced Pineapples
Chapter 8: Recognize
Chapter 9: Change Locations
Chapter 11: 7AM on Bridle Path
Chapter 12: Work
Chapter 13: From Time
Chapter 14: Get It Together
Chapter 15: Gold Roses
Chapter 16: Views
Chapter 17: Yes, Indeed
Chapter 18: In My Feelings
Chapter 19: No Long Talk
Chapter 20: Not You Too

Chapter 10: Legend

82 9 0
By 24_7_dreamer

The sudden urge to pee, slowly wakes me out of the amazing sleep that I am in. I try to get up, but arms around my waist keep me tethered to the bed. I open my eyes and and met with a tshirt covered chest. I move my head upwards and see a peaceful Axel. For a moment I just take him in. I take in the way his lips are slightly parted and the way his chest slowly rises and falls. I capture this small moment and forge it into my memories. The urge to pee gets stronger and breaks me out of my daze. I carefully try to unwrap Axel's arms from around my waist, but to no avail. Every time I get just a little out of his hold, he squeezes me tighter. Finally, I give up and decide to wake him up.

"Axel," I softly shake him.

He only squeezes me tighter.

"Axel," I say louder and shake him harder.

Once again, nothing happens. The need to pee because so powerful that my bladder starts to hurt. I take my phone out and turn the volume all the way up. I go to the timer and set it for one second. The loud sound of my phone going off wakes Axel out of his comatose like state.

"Shit," he jumps from surprise.

"I'm sorry," I say, "I just really have to pee and you wouldn't let me go."

"Oh, I'm sorry," he unwinds his arms from around me, "the bathroom is through that door."

I quickly get up and power walk to the door he pointed to. I walk into his ensuite and hurriedly lift the lid of the toilet, shocked that he hasn't left the seat up. After finishing, I wash my hands and exit the bathroom.

"Sorry again for the terrible wake up call," I say to Axel.

"It's cool," he runs his eyes, "what time is it?"

"It's 6:36," I double check my phone.

"Shit it's getting late," he stretches, "let's go, so I can drive you home."

"Ok," I say as I put my shoes on.

Axel slips on a pair of slides and heads out of his room. I follow closely behind him and we head to the library to grab our stuff. We walk out of the library and head to the living room.

"Wait here, I forgot the money to pay you, again," Axel says.

Axel goes back upstairs and I stand by the front door. I take out my phone and answer the few messages that I have. Soon I hear footsteps coming back downstairs. I look up and instead of seeing Axel, like I expected to, I see his mom.

"Hey Harmony," she walks over to me and pulls me into a hug.

"Hey Birdie," I hug her back.

"How've you been sweetie?" she asks.

"I've been good."

"That's good, I'm shocked you're here this late."

"Oh, Axel is actually about to take me home."

Just then Axel walks back downstairs. He walks over to us and hands me some money. I count it and notice that he has paid me for three hours instead of two.

"Hey june bug," Birdie says.

"Hey mom."

"Umm, Axel," I say, causing him to look at me, "you gave me too much."

"No, you've been here for three hours, I paid you for three hours."

"Yeah but only two of those hours were spent studying, one was spent sleeping. You're not paying me for three hours," I try to give him the extra money back.

"Keep it," he says.

I stare at him with my mad face and push the money into his chest. He stares at me back and slowly moves my hand off of his chest. The stare down between us continues until a throat being cleared pulls us out of our showdown.

"Y'all can deal with the money situation later, now it's time to eat," Birdie says.

"But I have to take Harmony home," Axel says.

"You can take her home after dinner," she looks at him, "your father should be out of the shower soon."

"How do you know she's going to like what we're having?" Axel says.

Birdie turns towards me, "do you like wash pot soup?"

"It's actually called Brunswick soup," Axel says.

"Same, difference," Birdie rolls her eye.

"I've never had it," I say.

"Well tonight's your lucky day," Birdie says, "it's been in the crockpot cooking all day."

I set my bookbag by the door and follow her to the dinning room. Axel follows behind me and sits down, I chose a seat next to him and sit down. Birdie walks into what I assume is the kitchen. Soon, a man enters the dinning. He looks like an older version of Axel.

"Hey dad," Axel says.

"Hey bud," Axel's dad says, "and who is this?"

"This is my friend and tutor, Harmony," Axel says, "Harmony, this is my dad"

"Nice to meet you Mr. Tailor," I stretch out my hand.

"Mr. Tailor, that's my father's name, please call me Henry," he shakes my hand, "it's a pleasure to meet you."

Henry takes a seat at the head of the table. He and Axel begin to talk about some game that was on last night. I tune them out and turn my attention to my phone. Soon, Birdie comes back with a cart. She walks to where we all are and sets prefilled bowls in front of us. The soup in the bowl both looks and smells delicious. Birdie takes a seat near her husband and gives him a small peck on the lips.

"Who wants to say grace tonight?" Birdie says.

"I'll do it," Henry says.

We all intertwine heads and bow our heads. I listen to the soft words that leave Henry's mouth as he thanks God for giving us food and it causes me to think about how my family used to be. As the prayer ends, and the amens are said, my face is wet with silent tears.

"Are you ok dear?" Birdie says full of concern.

"Yeah," I take a napkin and wipe my eyes, "this just reminded me of how my family used to be. My dad used to say grace every time before dinner. Unfortunately he passed and it's just not the same without him"

"Aww, I'm sorry for your loss," Birdie says.

"Thank you," I say, "but enough with all these emotions let me try this soup. I'm excited."

I take a spoonful of the soup and my taste buds come alive. The delicious soup feels as if it is warming up my soul along with the rest of my body. I take another spoonful of the soup, savoring the flavor.

"So, how do you like it?" Birdie asks.

"It's delicious," I say, "complements to the chef."

"Well thank you, it's a family recipe," Birdie smiles, "who knows, could become your family recipe."

This comment causes Axel and me to choke on the food in our mouths. I cough a few times and then reach for the water pitcher in the middle of table. I pour myself some and drink a generous amount.

"Now Birdie, you just almost killed the poor kids," Henry laughs.

"Sorry, I want to like my daughter-in-law," she responds, "unlike someone we know."

"My mom likes you," Henry says, which gains him a look from Birdie, "ok, but she likes you more than before."

"Mom, once again, Harmony and I are just friends and grandma does like you," Axel says.

"She called me a gold digging hussy just last week," Birdie deadpans.

"Ok you got a point," Axel says.

"She still ain't over the fact that her baby boy fell in love with me and my southern charm. You'd think after being together for over twenty years, she would get over it but no. You'd think I pissed on her leg and told her that it was raining."

I start busting out laughing at his mother's words. The rest of dinner is filled with laughter and I hear more stories about Axel's grandmother and also stories about Henry and Birdie. When everyone is finished with their food, I help Birdie to take everything back to the kitchen, afterwards we head back to the dinning room. The four of us walk back into the living room where I pick up my bag. I say my goodbyes and Axel and I head to his car. The car ride is silent, but comfortable. Soon Axel is pulling up into my driveway, before I can get out Axel stops me.

"Tomorrow, I'm taking you to Tyler Dixon's party," he says, "so I'm giving you a heads up."

"I actually can't go."

"Why not?"

"I spend every Saturday with my sister, since I hardly see her now, with everything going on."

"Well, the party doesn't start until around nine, so you'll be able to do both."

"Oh, ok. Great. Thanks for taking me home," I reach over and hug him, secretly placing the extra money in his middle console.

"Of course, I couldn't have my favorite girl out here by herself this late at night," he says as we slowly release each other.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I exit the car, "and text me when you make it home."

"Will do, I don't need my favorite girl worrying all night."

I walk to my door and unlock it. I turn around and wave  to him one last time before I enter the house. I hear his call pull off just as a text message comes through to my phone.

Headache: Nice try with the console, check your mailbox.

I open my door and reach outside to get inside my mailbox. Sitting there is the cash, I thought I had gave back to him. I drop my mouth open in shock, wondering how he got to my mailbox and back to his car so fast without me noticing. I take the money and head back inside, I take a shower and change. I then force myself to stay awake until the 'I'm home' text reaches my phone. When I get the message, my worry dissipates and I fall asleep with ease.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 238 20
a damaged boy catches the attention of a weird girl, what could go wrong? // completed 8/10/2015: #685 in short stories. :3
250 26 12
Axel and Alana have been, close friends since they were the age of eight. Unfortunately they had to separate, in their junior year of high school. A...
Bex By KaylieR4

Teen Fiction

47.5K 1.8K 48
One girl. One boy. One life changing deal. "You change your mind?" He asked smugly as I walked over to him. "Before I agree to anything, I have o...
15.7K 428 39
Brooke never thought that she would be in a situation like this. Where her reputation is on the line and she is comforted by the school's bad boy.