Never Left Me (Completed)

By GenHope

"Even when we departed you never left me. I carried everything you said to me and did for me even when we wer... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four, Part One
Thirty-Four, Part Two
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy

Twenty

8.7K 819 1.3K
By GenHope

2018: May, Spring Semester

It's been over a year and Magenta can't believe she's in her last year of college. She feels like so much has transpired and changed, including herself. She wasn't the naïve, 18-year-old girl from Dallas who walked on campus not knowing what to expect. She's been through so much in just these last four years, it'd be insane not to change. She's evolved and grown up. She's also prepared for this very scary, big world she's about to be dropped off into.

Walking across campus, it's relatively empty because it's finals week. Most people are only coming to campus to take tests or they're all in the library studying and finishing papers. It was no different for Magenta who pulled an all-nighter doing her last paper. When she says all-nighter she really means it. She didn't finish it until the sun came up after drinking lots of Starbucks bottled Frappuccino's.

Going into Curry Hall she climbs two flights of stairs. She stands in front of the doors a few seconds catching her breath. "Gah damn," she mumbles entering the department office being greeted by a woman at the front desk.

"I have a paper for Professor Goldman." She points to it and Gen drops it in. As soon as she exits the building she stops before going down the steps. She takes in the campus looking around with a smile. She did it. She's officially finished.

Although, it's a little bittersweet. Every place she looks she can see herself over the years with friends. She can see herself walking across campus with Kiara and Juju laughing. She can see herself trying to get close to that Albino squirrel and Gee standing back. She can even see herself walking away from Caleb who tries to grab her after he came and got her from a party.

For Magenta it felt like her senior year went by in a blink of an eye. She finished her internship a couple of days ago this weekend she'll be walking across the stage.

The main reason her last year went by so fast is because she stayed to herself. After Gee left school, she didn't feel like investing energy into friendships.

Kiara ended up getting pregnant and dropping out. Destin joined a fraternity and spent most of his time preoccupied by that. Colby was just doing him. She still wasn't over Juliette's death. And of course, Genesis had to leave. All the people who told her you don't usually stay friends with the people you start with were right.

Magenta didn't date, party, nothing this year. She definitely wasn't getting in a relationship after that disaster she called the one with Caleb. She needed to be single for awhile. To heal...

Honestly, she had to heal from two breakups really. She needed to recover from the mental and physical abuse she endured with Caleb. Then she had to heal from never getting closure due to the way Gee left. Magenta definitely has some deep rooted trust issues now.

Honestly, she was depressed for awhile. She only left her apartment if she needed to. She didn't even know what socializing was. When she wasn't busy she'd stay in her dark bedroom sleeping or watching tv. She even avoided her roommates at all cost. If she heard them in the common areas she'd wait until they went back to their rooms to come out.

She didn't want to be bothered feeling like it was time to get serious. The reality of stepping into full adulthood hits you. She's ready to move into the next phase of life and move on...

Magenta slept the majority of the day needing it desperately. By evening she goes to Pop's house hanging out with him, Choice, Pandora, and others. Despite Pop being in his sxities, he was the hang out spot for a lot of people in their mid-twenties.

As a weed grower, he helped a lot of young people put money in their pocket. People also come over here to smoke weed, which is what most of them are doing. Magenta just sits quietly listening and laughing.

"You look good today, Pop," Pandora compliments him as if he doesn't have on what he usually does. He's someone who lives on a routine. He hadn't changed his look in 10 years.

"Pandora, don't start. I told you I'm not looking for a sugar baby." Magenta laughs as Pandora smacks her lips.

"Damn, c'mon. I've been tryna get a sugar daddy for a minute now. I'm tired of working at Walgreens as a pharmacy assistant with those rude ass customers. I'm tired of clocking in. Take me out the game, coach," she says jokingly knowing she doesn't even like white men.

"You still working there to help your boyfriend get those scripts?" Choice asks while rolling a blunt.

"Why you in my business?" Pandora clutches her chest making them all laugh. Gen shakes her head knowing Pandora is.

"Somebody graduates soon," Pop changes the subject to Magenta.

"Y'all are all coming, right?" She beams with a smile.

"Hell yeah! Front row with a big ass sign and blow horn. The fuck you thought," Choice responds.

"Please, don't embarrass me."

"Man, say, this a big deal. You're graduating college. That's worth all the praises!"

"Well, since you all feel that way," she smiles digging in her MCM purse. She pulls out a stack of envelopes that hold the expensive ass graduation invitations and her professional graduation pictures. She passes them out saying, "Save the date. We're going out to eat after too. I know I sent a text, but you can put my pictures up."

"I'm going to make you some edibles for graduation night. What kind do you want?" Pop asks with the grin of a mad scientist.

"You know I can't do the edibles. They hit me like a ton of bricks."

"Come on, pick something. I'ma get you high, Craig. You're going to get high and drunk on graduation night. You want brownies, sour strips, cookies, gummies?" Choice joins in wanting to help too.

"Fine, sour strips," she gives in. Magenta smiles at how excited they are about her accomplishment. She listens to them argue about what club they want to go to on the night of to party.

She's always appreciated the strong support system during college. She knows people that had no one to depend on. No one to even motivate them during the many times college students think about giving up and dropping out.

Magenta's happy, but at the same time she's sad Gee couldn't be graduating with her. They talked about it so much she can't even imagine the day without him. Too bad, I guess.

"I'll be back. I need to get something from the backyard," Pop takes a pull from a paper joint before going out of the back door.

They all continue talking while an episode of Snowfall plays. "We're gonna get you some dick on graduation night too," Pandora nudges Gen.

"No, thank you," she rolls her eyes.

Pandora looks at her as if she has two heads. "How long has it been? Who was the last person you-" Magenta's head goes a little back and Pandora knows the answer is Genesis. "Damn!" She does the math.

"It hasn't been that long."

"He left over a year ago now. Then y'all stopped before that. That coochie dry as the sahara, girl."

"I rather it be dry than give it to someone I have no connection with," she shrugs. "Every time I try to date someone it doesn't get passed two dates and some texting. These dudes are not for me. Mmhmm."

She also compares every guy to Gee...

"At least you're actually noticing the red flags and taking your ass on when you see them. I'm proud of you. Baby, the way you used to just pop up wit'a ain't shit nigga. It's okay to be alone. Enjoy your single-dom."

Magenta chuckles when the sound of loud pops makes everyone freeze whatever they're doing. "Y'all hear that? What was that?" They all listen again as Choice grabs the remote pausing the tv, so they can hear better.

They hear two more pops causing Choice to jump into action. He grabs his gun saying, "Y'all chill," he races towards where the noise came from which is the backyard. It's quiet because they don't know what to do.

"Shit! Someone call 911!" They hear Choice yell.

Both Magenta and Pandora rush to the open back door seeing a guy laying in the grass. He's stomach down with gunshots to his back. Her eyes scan then land on Choice who's squatted down next to Pop. She can only assume he's shot too, but they don't see any blood.

Pandora points at a guy who hops over the fence disappearing into the night. Pop's gun falls from his hand, while Choice is trying to see what's wrong with him. Pop suddenly loses consciousness making Choice tap his face.

"Is someone calling 911?!" He yells as they can see another person standing on the patio with a phone to their ear.

When the police and ambulance arrive they gathered that Pop successfully shot one of the people who was trying to rob his house out of self-defense. Pop wasn't shot, but he was in such shock he went into sudden cardiac arrest and died.

We all knew it was someone Pop had been nice to and welcomed into his home who tried to rob him. Yeah, Pop sold weed which is illegal, but we could argue about why it shouldn't be criminalized. Pop never hurt anybody to deserve that.

He let too many people come into his home. Too many people who knew he grew and sold weed, or had money in his home. The robbery was bound to happen if you viewed a man at his age as not a threat.

Once again, Choice lost someone he was extremely close to. Throughout the years, Choice began to look at Pop as a father figure and mentor. Anything he knew about the Cannabis business was taught to him by Pop. More and more, Choice was seeing it's time to get out of Dallas and selling weed on the illegal end.

For some reason, Magenta kept thinking about Gee. She wondered if him getting arrested finally made him leave that street shit alone. She hoped he went back home and got himself together. No more selling drugs and having to tote guns.

But she also knows her hope isn't reality. She can tell by his Instagram that he's still trapped in that vortex. Others may not be able to, but Gen can. She can tell by the jewelry, the designer clothes, the flashing of money, and the car. The lifestyle. She had hope for him, but it's bigger than her. He has to have hope for himself.

Everyday she thinks more and more that letter was an excuse and easy escape because he knew he wasn't going to change...

A Couple Days Later...

After doing her makeup and hair, Magenta puts on a black dress from Fashion Nova then strappy Steve Madden heels. She takes a couple pictures in the mirror before putting on her green cap and gown. She puts on the tassel, as well as her distinction cord before grabbing her phone and the card with her full name and major in order for her to walk the stage.

Today's finally the day. Today also holds an air of sadness after what happened to Pop. It's like every time she's supposed to have a happy, joyous moment it has a thick cloud of misery hanging over it. Nonetheless, today is an accomplishment.

Going down the steps to her apartment she's hit with a breeze. It's nearly summer, but out of all days it picks today to be cold because it rained yesterday. That bipolar Texas weather.

As Gen walks across the parking lot towards her car she notices a car stop on the street across from her. Whoever it is rolls their window down yelling, "Congratulations, girl! You look good!"

She has no idea who it is, but she smiles and replies back, "Thank you!" She waves at the unknown person getting into her car.

She goes through the longgg process of simply standing around in lines until it's time to actually start the ceremony. Seated with the rest of the School of Journalism students, she's glad when it's there turn to walk the stage.

"Magenta Trinity Shantrice Thomas, magna cum laude," the announcer says as she walks across the stage as her family and friends scream loudly.

Those four years were an uphill battle, but this moment was so quick. She was on stage for no longer than thirty seconds to shake hands before the next person's name is called in a rush.

Despite everything else she had going on she still managed to graduate with honors and as an Honor College student. She also had a scholarship all four years and is barely walking away with any debt.

While walking back towards the seats for graduates, she looks into the stands seeing her family and friends. Of course they were loud as hell still screaming for her. Choice even holds up a blown up picture of her face making her shake her head in embarrassment. She waves for their cameras going back to her seat.

Right after the ceremony, they all go out to eat at an Italian restaurant. Once they're finally seated in a private dining room for the more than twenty people that showed up. Gen gets the seat at the head of the table and after ordering drinks she posts the pictures she just took after the ceremony in her cap and gown that's now removed.

Not too long later the likes and comments are coming in. Her heart skips a beat seeing Gee's Instagram name in her comments that reads, Congrats! Knew you could do it, Twinkle. I'm proud of you. You did this shit the right way. You had a plan and you were stickin' to it. I always admired that about you.

A part of her wants to roll her eyes. They haven't talked not once in the year he's been gone. She stares at her phone in deep thought. She tried to reach out at first to check on Gee, but when she got no responses she washed her hands of it. It was like she did something to him and she didn't. She eventually ended up blocking his number when he finally did text her 6 months later. She hasn't unblocked him since.

She wishes they were still close, but she's also not gonna chase anybody down for their friendship or attention. If he can act like their friendship meant nothing then that's what it is. She didn't deserve to be treated that way, so he can kick rocks for all she cares.

Knowing the food's going to take awhile to come for all these people, they decide to let Magenta opens her gifts. Gen loves graduations simply because it feels like the time you get gifted the most money, which she can use

After opening a couple gifts she gets to the bag from her brother, Choice. He sits in the seat to her left and she begins digging through the bag. She can tell he's trying to put on a smile for the sake of the festivities, but he's still sad about Pop's death. Many of them are. He should be here today trying to get everyone high.

Now that Pop's gone, Choice is really all alone out here. Cortlen was the first person Choice lost. He lost him to the system. He was literally his big brother's shadow. That led to him getting closer to Fade. That friendship's over indefinitely. Now Pop. Choice can't even trust anyone because always people you consider friends switching up.

Magenta spreads the slew of $100 bills he put in her Hello Kitty card with a smile making everyone laugh. She thumbs through them knowing it has to over a thousand. She wonders how he can give her so much, but doesn't question it right now.

She pulls a bottle of Vintage Rose Veuve Clicquot champagne out of the bag next smiling. "Ooh, big bottle popper!" Pandora hyped her up making Gen chuckle.

When she pulls a small Pandora bag from the bigger bag Choice says, "That's not from me."

"Who's it from?"

"Um," Choice clears his throat. "Gee," He says under his breath scratching his eyebrow.

Her eyes immediately glance at the Pandora bracelet on her wrist that Gee gave her. She still wears it now that she's added more charms not even thinking about the fact it was a gift from him.

She had stopped wearing the 'promise ring' he bought her. It was in the box put up somewhere and unworn. Why wear it? He clearly broke the 'promise'.

"You still talk to him?" She asks lowly.

"Don't bite my head off. How you gon' introduce me to somebody, but I can't be friends with them once y'all fall out? He didn't do anything to me. That was my boy," he tries to plead his case.

Gen smacks her lips. "If I don't like someone, you shouldn't either."

"You don't not like him. You just a little mad right now. You'll get over it," Choice brushes her off.

"How did he know I was graduating? You told him?"

"No, he saw you posted your graduation pictures on Instagram like last month. Asked if I could get this to you."

Gen's nostrils slightly flair as she rolls her eyes, but she still opens the bag and box. Inside there's a new bracelet with a couple charms. One is a 2018 graduation charm that has two books, a graduation scroll, and hat with a dangling tassel. There's a heart and stars charm that says, 'You did it' engraved on the front and 'The sky is the limit' on the back. Lastly, there's a sunflower charm.

Magenta acts unphased by the gift continuing to open her presents. When the food comes she's glad her mind is redirected to something else. But when they're done eating she finds herself unlocking her phone going to her block list.

She finally just decided to unblock him. She goes to Gee's text thread reminded how he ignored her previous couple of messages. Then out of the blue he texted her 'Hey' like shit was all sweet. That pissed her off and led to the block.

She sighs deciding to send the text thanking him for the gift. "Let's cut the cake," Magenta's godmother says opening the box of the red velvet cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes. That quick Magenta's attention is taken and she locks her phone.

After they're done eating, they exit the restaurant. Magenta hugs her family members who are ready to get in the car and get on the highway for home. She hugs her sister, Felicity, then embraces Choice next since they came together.

The hug is long and tight because they both needed it. "I'm proud of you, Twink. I know it wasn't easy. Between Mama getting cancer, the fucked up relationships, all the drama with me, Gee, Fade. Whatever you do now I know you're gonna succeed."

"Thank you. What's the plan?" Gen asks her brother when they pull apart.

"Huh?" He looks at her confused.

"You always said that once me and Felicity got through college, you're gonna finally do your own thing. So, what's the plan for you now?"

He licks over his lips rubbing his facial hair. "Shit," he rubs over his head next. "Don't tell anybody," he leans in with a mischievous smile. "I came into some money."

"What? How? How do you just come into money?"

"You know Pop didn't have any kids. He was divorced too. He left me everything," he whispers.

Gen's eyes bugs knowing Pop was making a decent living. "Everything?"

"Everything. The properties we had for grow and stash houses. His house that he lived in. His money."

"No," she's in complete shock. She tries to contain her reaction not wanting anyone to nose into their conversation.

Choice nods. "His brother who lives in Seattle wanted to contest because I'm not family, but it was in legal, notarized writing. My name plain as day on the last Will."

"Damn. What the fuck you about to do with all that?"

"What he wanted...We had been in talks to start a Cannibus business together in Austin. I'ma still do it even though he's gone. Then I can use the houses and property he left to get into real-estate. He knew I needed this. We on now, Gen."

He extends his hand and she slaps it. Gen can't help but laugh and hug him again. "Oh, shit! I'm happy for you!" She grabs his arms looking up at him. "I'm proud of you too. You always took care of your people. The most selfless person I know. Now your good karma's coming back to you. You always moved smart because you didn't want to end up in prison. You could've crashed out after getting shot too on some revenge shit."

He waves her off. "Man, we been doin' the expected for so long. We've been selling drugs and going to prison for a whole generation. It's time to do something different. We elevating 'round this bitch. Plus, Fade got his karma."

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't hear? He violated his probation, so now he has to sit down and serve that 5 years," Choice shakes his head.

She's not really surprised. With that life there's only two options...

Genesis is all smiles watching his probation officer remove his ankle monitor feeling like he's had it on forever. And it's right on time for his 22nd birthday that's coming up. He spent nearly all of 2018 fighting his case then eventually him, his judge, and lawyer knocked the initial charge down to a class D felony.

His judge was a hard ass, but Gee had a good lawyer. He also kept refusing the initial plea deals and having them negotiate new ones. He wasn't about to risk pleading not guilty and going to trial to get over 5 years in prison.

They had too much evidence on him. Between the pounds of weed, money, money order receipts, and his phone, he'd be giving away his freedom going to trial.

He went from the judge offering 10 years to 5 then dropping it down to 5 years probation. All he had to do was remain patient and let the lawyer do what he went to school for. He didn't have to tell on anyone either unlike some people.

Out of those five years of probation, he had to have an ankle monitor for the first five months. That time is finally over and he's glad. Being restricted to his home and not being able to make money was becoming a burden. He's glad this was his first big offense, especially since his record was expunged from the last one or he would've been in someone's prison. He's still considered a felon, but that's better than being incarcerated.

"You're still on papers, but no more house arrest. Remember you'll do random drug tests and you have to ask permission before traveling," Gee's probation officer details. "Make sure you're looking for a legit job. Next time I see you, you need to have a job or work lined up."

Gee nods his head. There's a lot of ways you can make money from the house, but there's way more out of it...

Mentally Genesis is at a crossroads that most street dudes will come to after losing too much to the game. Just because you took care of your family with your drug money, you think you're a man. You're not. The real world, the legal world, will really make a man of you. It's a humbling experience. He can either do what he knows and what's illegal, especially now that he has a record. People will judge him and not want to hire him. He can take that challenge to do right or find it too hard. This is the moment of truth for emotionally violent, weak men. Gee would like to think he's stronger and smarter than that.

He's bumped his head several times. He's lost money and got money, but he kept it solid through and through. If he didn't know how, he said he didn't know and was willing to be taught. The same goes for now. Just like he was taught the game, he's taking this as a teachable moment.

It hasn't been easy being back in Kentucky after all these years. Before when his homies would call him about the street wars between neighborhoods he could stay neutral and out of it. Now it's become harder to choose sides. No one cares if you have family and friends from both neighborhoods. Who you rockin' with?

Now that he's off house arrest and can go out, it's going to be even harder to avoid. He's preparing himself for bullshit. Just in a year being back home he's watched people be in and out of jail, the hospital, and the morgue.

Gee walks into his mother's house excited to tell them he's off house arrest, but the tension is thick as hell. He's expecting a congratulations, but instead his girlfriend and mother are engaged in a heated argument. He's not surprised.

Ever since Trinidad moved out here from Texas the two women have had problems. His mother didn't like her from the beginning. In his mind she never gave her a chance. It didn't help they were living in his mother's house. Two women are bound to butt heads. His mother didn't give a damn she birthed her 'first' grandchild.

And even that's questionable to Misty. While Gee decided to dismiss any doubts he had about paternity, she couldn't 100% without a doubt accept this baby or Trinidad. Gee was so desperate to have something to call his own after pretty much losing everything he thought this was the best thing to do. He thought it was the right thing to do. It wasn't. He doesn't have any feelings for Trinidad. They're just playing house and filling roles. This so-called relationship isn't going to work much longer.

Gee won't admit his decision to be with Trinidad is partly because of his parent's relationship. After that blowup with his father before he left Texas it made him think. Genesis always felt this obligation to take care of women. If he has feelings for you, you're his girlfriend, and especially the mother of his child. Just because we fallout or you say 'fuck you' doesn't mean he'll leave you high and dry with the bills like his father did to his mother numerous times.

But the way Trinidad moves, she doesn't deserve to get whatever she wants monetarily out of Gee. It's always been clear what her agenda was to Misty..

He looks at the coffee table that has a ripped open envelope with papers on top of it asking, "What's going on?"

"What's going on is your nosey ass mama who can't mind her business overstepped her boundaries, again," Trinidad starts first.

"Little girl, I will drag your ass out of this house. Don't play with me! How about you finally tell my son the truth!"

Trini holds the 10-month-old boy that was the cause of the tension unbeknownst to his innocent presence. "I need to tell you something," her aggression dials back as she wears a look of worry.

Gee already knows what's going on. He rubs over his facial hair looking at his mother knowing what she did. "I told you not to go behind my back and do that."

"You needed to know. I told you to do it right after the baby was born. What? Were you going to wait years down the line when it's too late."

"Can you leave us alone right quick? And take him," he says to Misty who throws up her hand.

She tries to grab the baby from Trini, but she's hesitant to let him go. "Come on, girl. I ain't gonna do anything to this innocent baby. It's his Mama I don't like," Misty states bluntly. Trinidad hands him over and his mother exits to the back of the house giving Gee and Trinidad privacy.

Genesis starts for the envelope, but Trinidad snatches it up first. "Promise you won't get mad when you read it."

"I'm not promising shit, Trin."

"Okay, well, tell me the results won't change anything. You've been in my son's life for almost a year. You can still be his father figure."

Gee scoffs and shakes his head. This warning is all he needs to hear. "I'm not promising that either. I've been weary this whole time, so I didn't exactly create that bond with him." He also didn't sign the birth certificate nor does the baby have his last name. Trinidad gave birth in Texas and he wasn't even there because of the ankle monitor.

Trinidad timidly hands him the envelope allowing him to read the results. He's not shocked at all the baby isn't his. He tried to give her the benefit of the doubt that she wasn't playing him, but the truth always reveals itself.

"Did you know there was a possibility the baby could've been someone else's?" He doesn't know why he's asking because they always do. "Please tell me you genuinely thought it was my baby and you weren't playing in my face lying this whole time."

"You don't understand," she starts with an already shaky voice. "It's not that simple."

"Let me get this straight... I was struggling to make money to take care of us while on house arrest. You steady asking for money knowing I'm struggling between my arrest, having to leave school, on probation. You moved all the way out here with me so we can be this make believe family. Now that I'm off the watch we were supposed to be getting a place together. What was this all for? Why do this? Now you tell me the baby's not mine. If my mother didn't sneak and get the test you would've kept lying!"

"I didn't make you sell drugs. You were doing that before you even met me," she goes into defense not responding to anything else he said.

"Right, I forgot. That's the reason you wanted me in the first damn place. I was getting money and I guess that's why I was the perfect candidate for a baby daddy."

She scoffs. "Don't flatter yourself, nigga."

"You a real life liar," he looks at her in disgust.

"You dudes kill me. Y'all can fuck all these bitches, but I'm the scum of the earth because I don't know who my baby daddy is?" She points at herself.

"No, because you lied. What don't you get? But it's cool doe. We'll make this easy. You can go back to Texas and we'll cut all ties."

"Damn, like that? You know I dropped everything to move here. I don't have anywhere to go. I just got a job out here."

"Not my problem: I'm not heartless or an asshole. I'll give you time to find a place and move out. Hopefully, my Mom's nicer than me." Gee pauses then looks at her. He asks out of curiosity, "Do you know who the father is or who it could be?"

Trinidad looks off to the side rolling her eyes. "Fade," she mumbles.

Genesis shakes his head not being able to help the light chuckle that comes from his mouth. "You can't make this shit up."

"I had been fucking him on and off since like high school. He just never wanted to get serious and give me a title. You were to make him jealous, but it didn't really work. At least not in the sense. Can you just help me out? Breon's in jail. I can't take care of this baby by myself."

"You lost yo damn mind," Gee laughs to himself grabbing his keys up leaving out of the house once again.

That night Gee decides to go to the club not only to celebrate, but to get his mind off things. In a section with all his boys and random women, he stares at his phone screen. He watches Magenta's Snapchat story of her day that was filled with celebrating her graduation. Between the posts of pictures, gifts, and her partying, that aching feeling of missing her hits. It doesn't help he's been drinking tonight.

Exiting the app, he goes to his text messages. He goes to her text thread seeing she read the reply to her thank you. He was surprised she finally unblocked him. He knew he was blocked months ago when he tried to send her a long paragraph that doesn't show up in the thread now.

"Gee!" He hears making him look up. When he sees Destin coming into the section they dap pulling into an embrace.

Despite most of his college friends distancing themselves from him the last months he was enrolled, they still checked on him. It wasn't that they didn't want to be his friends anymore. They just had to think about their own safety and future. He doesn't blame them for that.

Destin still had the same loyal attitude towards Gee. He didn't care what you said about Gee, that's his friend. He'll defend him and have his back no matter what.

"Damn, you really doin' this shit. You all fly and shit!" Gee brushes Destin's shoulder off. He wears a nice as suit jacket while his chain and watch shine bright. It's clear his club, party, and event promoting business is doing more than well. Destin definitely came into his own no longer the privileged, scrawny white boy who knew nothin' about nothin'.

"I told you. It's just like college, but on a bigger scale." Destin graduated college a semester early then took his connections and trust fund money to start a business. Just because his parents are well off doesn't mean he shouldn't work hard. "You take all your money and basically flip it for a profit. Drinks, entrance fee, vip sections, food," he waves his hand around the club. "This shit is taking me around the country."

"I see the vision," Gee nods taking a swig from his cup of Hennessy as The Race by Tay-K blasts.

"Shit, if you get me half to have Lil Baby perform, you'll get half the profits. And you can have something to show your probation officer as a job."

"How much?"

"A couple thousand. We can talk later about it."

"Aiight. Ay, you still talk to Magenta?" Gee can't help but ask.

"Oh, nah, man. We all kinda drifted apart. Plus, I was taking online classes my last year, so I could travel and work. She's been doing her own thing too from what I see."

"Damn," he mumbles.

"Still ignoring you, huh? She'll come around." Destin takes in who all Gee's with before saying, "Look, Gee. I know you not tryna hear this shit, but I worry about you."

"Worry about me for what?"

"C'mon, man. Your safety. Your freedom. I gotta plan to get you out of this for good. Some legitimate shit. I'm trying to start this business. I give you the money, but you run it. I think we can do this together. You've always been smart as hell. Ambitious too."

"I'll think about it. We can talk about that later too." Gee's never been one to let another man give him anything, but he might have to put his pride aside and let Destin help him.

Hours later, Gee walks out of the club with all his people that include his cousins and childhood friends. Since he had been drinking he gets in the passenger seat of his Hellcat allowing his cousin to drive.

They ride along the highway as No Smoke by NBA Youngboy plays through the stereo system. Gee's phone dings with a text and he sees it's Magenta replying to the drunken message he forgot he sent in the club.

Are you drunk? Reads the message. Me too, is sent less than a minute later. That was the most he's gotten out of her. It was better than nothing.

Gee stares at his phone trying to concentrate his double vision long enough to come up with a reply. He feels dizzy as his cousin, Jay, speeds towards the exit when he should be slowing down.

"You gonna make me throw up, nigga. Damn!" Genesis grips putting his hand on the dashboard. Jay says nothing because he's just happy he got to drive Gee's car and test that engine.

They stop at a red light and Gee takes that time to type up a text to Gen. All he can come up with is I miss you. Before he can hit send though the sound of glass shattering takes him off-guard. Looking to his right he sees a car pulled up next to him as two dudes hang out the window with guns pointed at them. Gee and his cousin completely freeze. As a felon he's not supposed to have guns, but there's one hidden that he can't even remember in the moment.

Multiple bullets litter the car as Jay screeches off through the red light despite the fact he was shot in the leg. The first and second bullet hit Gee's stomach, but after that he doesn't feel anything. He was zoned out until he felt blood rushing down his face.

In the chaos Jay's trying to remember the fastest route to a hospital from where they're currently at. There's blood all over the car, especially covering Gee's white Gucci polo shirt.

"Fuck," Gee groans looking at his bloody hand after touching his side.

In that moment he didn't fear for his life oddly enough. He thought he was ready to die. Gee felt like he's done a lot of stuff in his life, so if this is his time then it's just his time. He was at peace with it all. He just hopes God understands everything he's done to end up at this point.

"You good?" His cousin asks while speeding down the road. Jay tries to keep talking and checking on Gee who's breath is becoming shallow.

"I'm finna die. I can't breathe."

"Bitch, yes you can. You talkin'. Keep talkin' to me. We're almost there."

And that was the last thing he remembered from that night. By the time he was conscious he was out of surgery after being shot multiple times in the stomach and his eye was grazed.

With only one eye being able to open and shut, he looks around the hospital room in confusion. Seeing his father at his bedside he's shocked to see Genaro crying. In all of Gee's 21 years he had never seen his father shed a tear. Despite age, size, or actions, Gee is his baby. He was watching the baby he saw born in this very hospital lay up in it shot up.

Genesis realizes there shouldn't even be a thought of him going back to his old ways or that life. This is another chance for him to do better. It's clearly not his time. But it is time for him to change locations and get a new scenery once again. Kentucky isn't safe for him...

_________

Chile, there was so much going on around the time I graduated college, I genuinely don't remember my last year. I can't even offer advice lmao. At least I finished.

Gen graduating? Pop getting killed & leaving it all to Choice? Fade in prison?

Gee reaching out to Gen after a year? Finding out the baby isn't his? Getting shot?

That was the last chapter from the past. Thoughts on what transpired? How you think the present will go now that you know what happened?

Comment / Vote💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.3K 2.1K 24
A college love story about an openly bisexual college student falling in love with her down low lesbian classmate. Tell me what you think. Enjoy! *al...
465K 28.5K 33
you was my happiness, that high i felt when around you. love aint even the word to describe it. 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐲𝐲𝐛𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐞 • 2021
Truth Is By NEELS ™

General Fiction

2K 116 6
"Truth is, I don't love that bitch... I never did. She was just something for me to do. Someone to hold my attention whenever you and I got into it...
23.6K 796 18
"You're my drug, I can't live without you."