Dead Man Walking | Rick Grimes

By InMyDarkystHour

June Gomez has lost everyone she's ever loved and survived the end of the world. When she stumbles across a g... More

|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
|5|
|6|
|7|
|8|
|9|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|28|
|29|
|30|
|31|
|32|
|33|
|34|
|35|
|36|
|37|
|38|
|39|
|40|
|41|
|42|
|43|
|44|
|45|
|46|
|47|
|48|
|49|
|50|
|51|
|52|
|53|
|54|
|55|
|56|
|57|
|58|
|59|
|60|
|61|
|62|
|63|
|64|
|65|
|66|
|67|
|68|
|69|
|70|
|71|
|72|
|73|
|74|
|75|
|76|
|77|
|78|
|79|
|81|
|82|
|83|
|84|
|85|
|86|
|87|
|88|
|89|
|90|
|91|
|92|
|93|
|94|
|95|
|96|
|97|
|98|
|99|
|100|
|101|
|102|
|103|
|104|
|105|
|106|
|107|
|108|
|109|
|110|
|111|
|112|
|113|
|114|
|115|
|116|
|117|
|118|
|119|
|120|
|121|
|122|
|123|
|124|
|125|
Author's Note
What if... the world never ended? Part 1
What if... the world never ended? Part 2

|80|

3.7K 95 65
By InMyDarkystHour

"June!" A familiar voice called out to me. I felt my eyes flutter, my head erupting with pain against the light around us. Slowly, I opened my eyes and focused on Carol and Maggie. They stood with two women – an older woman and a brunette, pointing guns at them. I was propped up against a tree with the man pointing my gun at my head. A groan escaped my lips as I tried to gather my bearings, which only alerted the man. He reached forward and forcibly pulled me to my feet, pushing me towards Maggie and Carol. I stumbled forward and nearly lost my footing, but they caught me before I could faceplant. Glaring at the man, I tried to pull my hands apart but realized they were tightly bound.

"What're your names?" The strawberry blonde snapped at us as she held a walkie to her lips.

"Maggie," Maggie started, her head pointing to Carol and me, "Carol and the one that just woke up is June," The strawberry blonde scowled at us and pressed the button of her walkie, speaking into it.

"You, with the Colt Python," My ears perked as she described the gun. That's Rick! "All of you, lower your weapons right now." I looked out in the distance but couldn't see anything.

"Come on out. Let's talk," Rick's voice buzzed through the walkie. I felt my heart stutter at his voice, a smile threatening to pull across my lips. Damn, I am whipped, aren't I?

"How many we got?" The brunette asked, her gun unwavering as she pointed it at Maggie's head.

"Eight in sight," The strawberry blonde answered, looking through her binoculars, "Too many,"

"No, we can take 'em. We've took on more," The man answered, his gun pressing to my sore temple.

"We're not coming out, but we will talk," The blonde spoke again, the walkie hissing as she did so, "We've got Carol, Maggie, and June. I'm thinking that's something you want to chat about. Now, we're going to work this out, and it's going to go our way." It was silent for a few moments before the walkie-talkie came to life, and Rick's harsh voice snapped through it.

"You can see we have one of yours. We'll trade,"

"I'm listening," The same woman spoke, watching the group through her binoculars.

"First, I want to speak to June, Maggie, and Carol—make sure they're alright," A walker growled from behind us, forcing me to tear my attention away from the blonde. The older woman grabbed a knife, showing it off to me before stabbing the walker in the head. That bitch took my knife!

"I'm going to put you on. You say you're fine. I'll know if you try anything else," The blonde walked towards us, pressing the button as she stopped in front of Carol.

"Rick, it's Carol. I'm—I'm fine, but," The strawberry blonde scoffed and pushed Carol back.

"Now you," Maggie leaned forward, her eyes on me.

"Rick, it's Maggie. We're—" Again, the blonde shoved her back and stopped before me. I glared at her and leaned forward, my voice coming out hard and strained as I maintained eye contact.

"We're fine," I spoke, keeping it short and straightforward. The blonde stepped away from me, her face in a permanent scowl as she turned her back.

"You have your proof. Let's talk,"

"This is the deal right here," Rick's voice buzzed, "Let 'em go. You can have you guy back and live," These assholes are going to die either way—I'll make sure of that.

"Three for one, that's not much of a trade," The woman spoke, watching the group.

"You don't have another choice, or you would've done something about it already." I pursed my lips and scolded myself. Why wasn't I paying more attention? We could've taken them all out if we were just paying attention!

"We got to get him back," The man who punched me earlier said, holding his bloody arm. I hope it hurts. I hope it gets infected and he dies.

"Primo can take care of himself," The strawberry blonde stated.

"He can patch me up," The man snapped, his sharp eyes landing on me. "I need him, thanks to this bitch," I gave him a shit-eating smile before letting it fall. I'd do more than shoot him if I weren't tied up. I'd shoot him in the stomach, the chest, and legs before letting him bleed out. "You've lost your balls, Paula. You should've shot her in the head so they could hear her die,"

"If you could just shut up—" The man interrupted the strawberry blonde, which I'm assuming is Paula.

"Then make the deal, or we go in,"

"She said shut up, so shut it," The older woman snapped—the bitch who took my dad's knife. "You should be glad she doesn't have a sack of gonads to trip over." The walkie hissed again, signaling that Rick was going to speak again.

"Look, I know you're talking it over. It's a fair trade. Just come out, we do this, we all walk away," Rick said. Like hell I'll let these fuckers walk away.

"Smug prick," The brunette rolled her eyes, forcing me to glare at her. "He must think we're stupid," They are stupid. They don't know who they're messing with.

"That's a good thing," Paula observed as she raised her binoculars to her eyes. Walkers started snarling and growling all around us, forcing the brunette to lower her weapon, "I'll get back to you," The brunette grabbed my jacket and forced it over my head, engulfing me in darkness.

A rough hand grabbed my upper arm, making me walk with them. They shouted directions every few seconds to guide us, but other than that, it was silent. I could only see my feet as we walked, preventing me from memorizing where we were walking. A car door opened, and we were shoved in, the constraints around my wrists tightening as someone tugged on them before pushing me inside the vehicle. Paula started saying meaningless things on the radio; the sound of duct tape penetrated the air around us. Maggie and Carol weren't bound; they were the smart ones who immediately listened when these people swarmed us last night. Or these people know that out of the three of them, I'm the one that poses more of a threat to them. They're underestimating Maggie and Carol.

The car moved further, disorienting my sense of direction while Paula spoke to someone on the radio. So, she managed to get through to her people after all. More of them will make it harder for our people to get us—it'll make it harder for me to kill them all. After a few minutes of driving, the car stopped, and the car door opened. Again, the same rough hands from before pulled me out, smacking me on the back of my head as they forced me to walk again. I looked at my feet and took deep breaths, trying to calm myself before trying to do something really stupid. A door creaked open, and the sound of walkers penetrated the air as one of the women spoke.

"I hate this place," She spat, "Safehouse—there ain't nothing safe about it."

"This place is gonna save our asses," Paula answered in her annoying voice. It was nasally and made me want to punch her with every word that came out of her mouth. The door closed, and my jacket was removed from my head. A female walker lunged at me, but I stayed in place, not letting any weakness poke through. I show weakness, and these people will expose it and use it against me. I kept my mouth shut as the knife poked through the walker's head and was an inch away from my eye. I didn't flinch or make a noise. Instead, I made eye contact with Paula, not letting her intimidate me.

"Get on the ground," She snapped at me as we maintained eye contact. She pointed to different corners of the room, ordering us to sit in them. I walked forward, my eyes still on hers, and refrained from pushing past her as I walked to one of the corners and lowered myself. I watched Carol and Maggie sit in their corners, hands bound in front of them with duct tape and rags tied around their mouths. Strangely, I don't have a rag, but it's not like I will try screaming for help or something. Also, their hands are duct-taped together in front of them while I have the tightest rope around my wrists behind me. They're smart; I have to give them that.

"You're wondering if there's a way out of this," Paula said as she started to bind Carol's legs together with duct tape, "There isn't. Not unless I say so." Paula moved towards Maggie and started to duct tape her legs together, her mouth shut as she did so.

As she approached me, we glared at one another. I pushed my legs out in front of me and scowled as she started to touch me. The tape around my legs was tight, and she went more times around with me than she did with them. Paula grabbed a rag from her pocket and grabbed me by the hair, pulling me towards her. The rag circled my face, and she formed a ball before stuffing it into my mouth—much like Carol and Maggie--and tied it tight, a smirk on her face as she slapped me.

"Paula, get in here!" One of the women screamed from outside the door. Paula got up and grabbed her pack, slinging it across her shoulders.

"I want to kill you three right now," She said, looking at the other two before landing on me, "Especially you. It's taking all I have not to, so go ahead. I dare you to try something. Just see what happens." I leaned against the wall as she raced out of the room and closed the door, my wrists whining as pain shot through them. I didn't struggle against the ropes, and I didn't panic.

I watched as Maggie turned and started to use her corner of the wall to scrape against her tape. I circled my wrists around its axis, wincing slightly at the pain from the movement alone. She made the mistake of binding us by the ankles, giving me the perfect opportunity to try and bring my hands to the front of my body instead. I fidgeted, planting my feet flat on the ground and pressing my back against the wall. Slowly, I pushed myself up a bit, my thighs starting to burn as I moved my arms underneath my body and under my knees. Letting myself fall back onto the ground, I bent my knees and thrust them closer to my body, grunting a bit as my boots knocked against my hands.

My legs successfully went through my bound arms after struggling for a few minutes, and I looked up in celebration as I placed my wrists on my lap. I looked at Maggie and then towards Carol, my brows furrowing as she started to breathe heavily. Her breathing came out frantically as she began hyperventilating, and tears pricked her eyes. I looked at her and grunted her way, worried. Is this some façade she's trying to pull off like she did back in Alexandria, or is this real?

The door burst open, and Paula and the brunette came in with the man between them. He seemed unconscious as they placed him on the ground, the two arguing about their safehouse's state. I leaned forward, grunting in Carol's direction as she continued hyperventilating, her name sounding muffled when I tried to call out for her. Maggie did the same thing, our voices mingling together as they came out muted.

"Shut up!" Paula screamed at Carol, examining the bullet wound on the man. I exchanged a worried glance with Maggie, hating that I couldn't do anything for Carol. The three people continued to argue, completely ignoring Carol's frantic breathing as they worked on tightening the makeshift tourniquet around the man's arm.

"Hey!" Maggie and I attempted to call out to them. I tried to push the ball out of my mouth with my tongue and failed, making as much noise as possible to get them to focus on Carol and maybe take the makeshift gag off her. Paula glared at me and stalked forward, her fingers looping around the rag, pulling it down, freeing my mouth.

"What?" She snapped, glaring at me. I pointed at Carol with my head and looked up at the woman.

"Can't you see that she's hyperventilating? Take her gag off," I told Paula before looking at Carol. I've never seen her like this... I still don't know if this is real, but I don't want to take any chances.

"She's a nervous little bird, ain't she?" The older woman asked as she walked over to Carol and removed the gag. Carol sucked in as much breath as she could and leaned against the wall, strangled gasps coming from her. The brunette came forward and pointed her gun at Carol's head, her back towards us.

"Look at you," The woman snapped, "Bitch, how did you make it this far?" I gritted my teeth and refrained from snapping back. Instead, I focused on Carol and watched as she took more frantic breaths, trying to calm herself down.

"Honey, you need to take some yoga breaths and calm your ass down," The older woman said, her hands on her knees as she looked down at my panicking friend. I watched the tears that streamed down Carol's face as she tried to get the words, 'I can't' out. The woman reached down and pulled a rosary from Carol's pocket, holding it in front of her. Carol continued to pant, reaching for the rosary and holding it to her mouth.

"You're one of those," The woman said as she took a few steps from Carol. I exchanged another look with Maggie and pursed my lips. This has to be some kind of act. Carol isn't devoutly religious, and I don't even know where she got that rosary. The brunette held the gun to Carol's head as Paula came forward, her hands on her hips.

"What are you so afraid of?" She asked, sounding sarcastic, "Are you actually afraid to die?" She scoffed and looked around before looking back at Carol, "All this, and you're scared of getting your ticket punched." Carol calmed down, her breathing finally returning to normal as she held the rosary to her lips.

"It doesn't matter what happens to me," Carol spoke, her voice shaky, "Just don't hurt Maggie. Don't hurt the baby." I leaned forward, interested in how this would play out, and pursed my lips. The attention focused on Maggie, and the brunette aimed her gun at her head.

"Yeah, right," The brunette snapped in disbelief.

"She got a bun in the oven, and she doesn't look it." The man said from his spot on the ground. Haven't they ever heard of, I don't know, early pregnancy? It's not like she'd start showing immediately. Paula approached Maggie and lowered her gag, her eyes dancing with skepticism and curiosity.

"I'm only two months, I think," Maggie answered. Paula cocked her head and frowned.

"You're some kind of stupid, getting knocked up at a time like this," Maggie smiled a bit and licked her lips, her gaze lowering to her bound hands, "You think that's funny?"

"When was it ever smart to get knocked up?" Maggie retorted, bringing her gaze back onto Paula. Well, she has a point, but it's more dangerous now. But look at us; we had Lori around for the entire duration of her pregnancy, and Judith was safely delivered-- we did lose Lori, though. It's been hard, but we've survived with a one-year-old. "Women used to just die in childbirth, and they always thought the world was gonna end," Maggie continued, "Living through it, why would you just give up?"

"But are you gonna live through it?" Paula asked, a sarcastic smile spreading across her lips, "Anyway, that's cute. Babies are the point. Children are our future. Making bite-sized snacks for the dead," This woman seriously needs to get laid or something. No one is this tightly wound up. "The point is to stay standing,"

"No," Maggie shook her head, "Walkers do that. I'm choosing something." Paula let another fake smile spread across her lips as she glared at Maggie.

"That's right," She nodded, "You are. You did." I shifted my attention to the brunette, watching her face change with all sorts of emotions. The older woman lit a cigarette and started hacking as she took a puff.

"The baby," Carol said, making the woman laugh. I leaned against the wall and looked down at my hands, trying to make out the knot.

"Honey, in case you haven't noticed," The woman continued to laugh and suck on her cigarette, "You got bigger problems than a little secondhand smoke." Slowly, I started to pick at the knot with my fingers, keeping my hands buried close to my abdomen, and diverted my attention back to the brunette. She frowned at her friend, but her gun pointed at Maggie's head.

"Molls," She called out. The woman, Molls, probably short for Molly, put out her cigarette and tsked.

"Y'all are worse than a bunch of evangelical second graders," She complained and started to cough and hack again. I tuned everyone out and watched the brunette, noticing how the mention of Maggie's pregnancy made her uncomfortable. Maybe, just maybe, we can use that to our advantage if I can't get us out of here.

~*~

After about an hour, or at least I think it's been an hour, the man started to moan and groan, complaining about how his arm hurt and felt like it was on fire. I honestly don't care, and if he dies, they better get his body out of here. I continued to pick at my knots, grateful that no one had noticed me doing this yet, and hid a smile as one started to come loose. Maggie spoke to Paula, but it fell on deaf ears. I looked ahead at them, making it seem like I was paying attention, but all my focus was on my bound hands.

"You know my problem?" The man suddenly spoke, gaining my attention. I looked at him and noticed how he glared at me, his feet moving underneath him. I quit picking at my knots and held my hands in my lap as he approached me with a look of hatred, "She did this to me. She did this, and she's just sitting there right as rain, fully intact."

"Hey," Paula called out, watching him pause directly in front of me. I leaned against the wall and looked up at him, a small smile spreading across my lips. I'm not scared of him, and he should know that.

"If you're not going to make the trade, we should do them all in right now," He snapped. Paula approached him and pushed him back, creating some distance between us.

"No. We need them. We need insurance. We have to be smart," Paula reminded him. He groaned and breathed heavily, his eyes on me again.

"Then shoot her in the arm, too," He demanded. It wouldn't be the first time I've been shot in the arm. It sucks, but it's not like it will kill me. He's just a big baby about it!

"No," Paula chuckled and shook her head.

"You really gonna stick up for some gutless bitch over me?" Aw, the baby is offended! Another smile spread across my lips as he held onto his arm and cussed, pain sweeping across his tired face. I watched as Paula demanded him to shut up and smiled again when he continued to wither in agony. Geez, they're dysfunctional, aren't they? Almost as soon as the thought crossed my head, the guy snapped up and smacked Paula. I acted without thinking and swept the guy's feet from under him, immediately regretting it. I don't care if they fight with one another and smack each other around! Why did I do that?

"You stupid bitch!" The guy yelled and grabbed me by the hair, forcing me onto my feet. I gritted my teeth and snapped my head forward, headbutting him squarely in the nose. With my hands and feet bound, there wasn't much else I could do. The man quickly recovered and threw me to the floor, his boot connecting with my stomach and ribs repeatedly. Maggie and Carol screamed at him to stop, their voices carrying through the otherwise silent building. I groaned with each kick and felt my body spasm in pain each time. Suddenly, the pain stopped, and I looked up, my hands held tightly across my stomach. Paula stood above me, her hand caressing her cheek as she glared my way. The guy was on the ground next to me, completely still. He's not dead, just knocked out – I think.

"Take her to the other room," Paula ordered. The older woman grabbed me by the arm and hoisted me up, dragging me with her.

~*~

I sat in the room and leaned against the chair, my ribs and stomach screaming at me. They had left me alone in this room, which was a mistake. How stupid can they be? Separating us and not even bothering to have someone stay in the room with me? I know they put the brunette with Maggie—I saw them when they dragged her out. They probably figured I was too beat up to try anything, but little did they know. I continued to pick at my knots, smiling as they got looser and looser. Soon, I could loosen it enough to pull my hands through. I kept the ropes loose-fitting and waited for the perfect moment. I can't just slip through and hope to find someone in the hallway or something. Someone needs to come to me first.

My stomach churned, and I hunched over and puked before I could fight it. I gasped and sat upright, my chest rising and falling rapidly until the feeling passed. After I regained my composure, I looked around, hoping to find anything sharp. I focused on the floor, noticing how something shined in the corner as the sun hit it. Slowly, I rose onto shaky feet and lowered myself to the ground, my knees groaning as I tried to crawl. I shook the ropes off my hands and wriggled, trying to keep as quiet as possible as I reached forward. My fingers circled the shiny object, my heart pounding in my chest. I pressed my lips to the glass and quickly sawed away at the tape around my ankles, ensuring I got it from behind. I can still keep up the appearance that I'm tied up and strike when their back is turned if someone comes in. I pulled my feet apart and smiled as the tape ripped apart.

I quickly got back in my chair and put the ropes around my hands, waiting for someone to enter. After waiting a few minutes, the door to my room opened, and the older woman stepped in. She was puffing on a cigarette and obnoxiously blew the smoke in my direction. I scrunched my nose at the smell and felt bile rise in my throat again. I kept my ankles close together and my hands bound on my lap, making it seem like everything was normal.

"What's wrong?" The woman chuckled as she approached me, "Can't handle a little cigarette smell?" I kept my mouth closed and stared at her, keeping my face emotionless. "You remind me a lot of this girl I used to run around with thirty years ago. Red hair, short but curvy—I bet you have all the boys after you, huh?" I remained silent, my fist balling in my lap. "She was also one of the toughest bitches I've ever knew,"

"What happened to her?" I finally asked, indulging her and making it seem like I was interested in her story.

"I kicked her teeth in. Got me an assault charge," She laughed, proud of herself, "Now, I may not be what I once was but don't think I won't do the same to your pretty face," She turned slightly, blowing out some smoke and hacking. She turned fully and hacked into her hand, giving me the perfect opportunity. I rose from my chair and let my ropes fall to the ground by my feet. With no time to waste, I lunged toward her and punched her with all my strength, my knuckles stinging as they made contact. I reached for her belt and found the handle of my knife, freeing it from its confines. The woman grunted underneath me, her mouth opening to scream for Paula. I put my hand on her mouth and pressed, bringing my body down on her.

"Fuck you," I whispered to her and raised my other hand, my knife shining as the sun hit the blade. I stabbed forward and watched as my blade disappeared into her head, her body going limp beneath me. My thumb ran over my father's initials, and I pulled the knife out of her skull, wiping the blood on her clothing.

"My knife," I muttered, searching her body and grabbing her gun. I turned and spat on her body, slowly pushing the door open. The hallway was well-lit, and faint growls were coming behind me. I pressed against the wall and took slow, silent steps forward, keeping my eyes and ears peeled. My grip on my knife tightened as I heard footsteps, my heart pounding wildly in my chest. I peeked around the corner and saw the brunette coming my way, her gun held loosely in one hand and the other pressing to her mouth. She turned her back and leaned against the wall, her shoulders shaking.

I rounded the corner silently and took quick steps, hoping to gain the upper hand on her. She straightened up and started to turn, her eyes finding me. I rushed forward and tackled her to the ground, hearing our weapons clatter to the floor. My fist flew forward and connected with her jaw, landing several blows. She pushed against me and punched me upside the head, making me loosen my grip on her. It was enough for her to push me off her and reach for her gun. Without thinking, I lunged forward and shoved the gun away, my body landing on hers. I grabbed her by the hair and slammed her head against the concrete floor, repeating the action several times until a dull crack emitted. With a sigh of fatigue, I grabbed my knife and stabbed her through the head, blood flooding from the wound and staining the concrete floor red.

The sound of voices hit my ears, three familiar ones. Two of them I've known for years; the newer one is the one I hate. I quickly got to my feet and grabbed the two guns and my knife. I followed the voices down the hall and pressed against the nearest wall, sparing a glance around it. Paula stood closest to me, her hands extended in front of her as she pointed a gun at Carol and Maggie. Behind my friends—my family—walkers were reaching for them, held back by what resembled collars and leashes. Paula laughed at something humorlessly and said something to Carol, but I didn't pay attention.

This one I'm going to enjoy. My feet moved before my brain could fully catch up, and I collided with the strawberry blonde, my fists flying in front of me and connecting. Paula grunted and fought against me, grunts leaving her as her fingernails dug into me in various places. She balled her fist and socked me in the face, sending me flying off her and landing against the cold, hard ground. I shielded my face as she straddled me and started punching, her fists vibrating throughout my arms. Her weight left me, and a sharp pain exploded in my abdomen, making me cough violently. The taste of copper filled my mouth as I coughed, my hands flying towards my stomach. I gasped and looked up at her, watching as she looked at Maggie and Carol. Carol had one of the guns in her hands, her eyes wavering as she shook.

"You don't have the guts," Paula spat at her. What's wrong with Carol? She's freezing! Slowly, I rose to my feet and attacked, looping my arms around Paula's neck. She clawed at me with her nails, her breathing coming out in short gasps, forcing me to tighten my grip. I stared at Maggie and Carol, my heart hammering in my chest at the amount of exertion. I swallowed, my mouth still filled with the familiar copper taste, and twisted my arms quickly, hearing Paula's neck snap. I let go of her body, watching it tumble to the ground by my feet. My stomach ached and groaned, and my ribs felt like they had been set on fire, but I couldn't stop moving. We have to get out of here.

"You good?" I asked the two women. They nodded and stared at the body before their eyes landed on me. I gave them a toothy smile and leaned against the nearest wall, absolutely exhausted.

"Paula, we're approaching the perimeter. Are we a go?" I snapped my attention to Paula's body, eyeing the walkie strapped to her waist. Carol walked forward and grabbed the walkie, her eyes filled with tears. I watched as she struggled, but eventually, she clicked the button and spoke.

"Meet us on the kill floor." She said, successfully imitating the way Paula sounded. I rose to my feet and searched the body, producing another gun. I handed it to Maggie and bent down, grabbing the guns and knife I had dropped earlier. Together, we walked the building with our weapons in our hands and made our way to the room labeled 'Kill floor."

~*~

I pressed against the other side of the wall, waiting for Paula's people to come through. We had found gasoline and doused the floor with it. The plan is to hide and light them on fire when they're in the room.

"I think I might have killed 18 people," Carol whimpered. Is that why she's losing her nerve? Cause she killed 18 people? "I should've killed Donnie," Carol whispered, "I couldn't do it." I looked at her and frowned, hating how she was riddled with all this guilt, "None of this would've happened if I had just killed him." I remained quiet and looked at the wall, saddened.

"Don't think about it," Maggie croaked.

"I can't stop," Carol cried, her voice breaking.

"We're almost done," I whispered, remaining quiet as figures started to move by our door. I watched as Carol put a cigarette to her mouth and lit it. We jumped into action, and Carol threw her cigarette on the gasoline-soaked floor, lighting it on fire. Maggie and I grabbed the door handles and pushed it shut, holding it as the men started to scream and pound against the steel. I looked at Carol and frowned, noticing the guilty expression on her face. As we walked through them, the hallways began to fill with smoke, forcing us to cover our mouths and noses.

We approached the hallway where we left Paula's body, watching the walkers start to reach for us, desperate to taste us. I grabbed my knife and lunged forward, stabbing the leashed walkers and making a path for us. Maggie assisted me, her eyes rigid and disconnected as she stomped on a downed walker's head. Maggie led the way and paused at the front doors, her hand reaching for the gun on her hips. I nodded at her and raised my weapon, watching her open the door.

"Maggie!" Glenn shouted, his arms wrapping around her neck. I lowered my weapon and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. My entire body ached, and I was exhausted. Daryl rushed through the door and attacked me in a hug before letting me go and looking down at Carol. I'm sure she looks a lot worse than I do, and I'm the one that got beat on the most. I looked down at the ground and ran a shaky hand through my hair, exhaustion finally catching up with me.

"June," I looked up and smiled, my eyes landing on Rick's. I jumped forward and wrapped my arms around him, breathing heavily as he lifted me off my feet.

"They're all dead," Maggie informed them, "All the ones that took us. They're all dead," I felt eyes on me and pulled away from Rick, noticing a man I didn't recognize.

"All your friends are dead," I croaked, assuming he was part of their group. Rick pushed me behind him and stalked up to the guy.

"I'm going to ask you one last time. How'd you get the bike?" Bike? What bike? I looked at Daryl and frowned, still confused.

"We found it," The man answered.

"Like hell you did," Daryl spat. Wait? Is he talking about his bike? The one that was stolen from us by those people in the woods?!

"We found it," The man repeated.

"Was Negan in that building last night?" Rick continued probing, "Or was he here?" The man turned towards Rick and chuckled humorlessly.

"Both," I furrowed my brows. How is that possible? "I'm Negan shithead. There's a whole world of fun that we can talk about, so let's have a chat." I shook my head and stepped away from Rick, my hands reaching for my gun. I pulled it out and fired, letting a bullet leave the chamber. God, I'm tired of these people.

----*----

I really liked writing this chapter! I get to show just how badass June is sometimes, lol.

Have a good day!! 

^^

I wrote that when I first wrote this chapter about a year ago and it's still so true. I think this a fun chapter where I get to demonstrate how badass June can be haha. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.3K 1.9K 16
❝𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐝❞ ― In a world ravaged by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a girl...
22K 362 65
Don't make me sad, don't make me cry Sometimes love's not enough And the road get's tough ...
158K 3.8K 28
(In this story Lori isn't alive and it's in the walking dead plot but I will do some adjustments. Also this my alternative universe and my story and...
1.5K 24 8
✭ After Carl saves Alexandria, he realizes that he doesn't know how much time left, but he knows that he doesn't want to waste it. Carl confesses to...