The Art of Family (Book 2)

By Claire_ry

With family, there's always drama. But, beyond that is an irreplaceable support system with a promise of many... More

Prologue Some Things Never Change
The Cast
Chapter 2 Gentleman
Chapter 3 The Great Negotiation
Chapter 4 White Day
Chapter 5 Chaos and Order
Chapter 6 I'll Miss You
Chapter 7 Torrential Tears
Chapter 8 Big Boss
Chapter 9 Family Diary
Chapter 10 Stranger Danger
Chapter 11 Memories
Chapter 12 Babysitter Binnie
Chapter 13 Koala Baby
Chapter 14 Second Time Around
Chapter 15 Contemplation
Chapter 16 Calm
Chapter 17 Tides of Change
Chapter 18 Enamoured
Chapter 19 Up and Down
Chapter 20 Once Upon a Time
Chapter 21 Wait
Chapter 22 The Right of Passage
Chapter 23 You're On Your Own, Kid
Chapter 24 Gone

Chapter 1 Wave After Wave

1.2K 71 100
By Claire_ry

"I need you to go overseas."

That life-changing sentence echoed in the vast office that they were seated in.

So taken aback by the sudden news, Hyun Bin had to do a double-take as a rather lost 'what?' escaped his mouth.

Clearing his throat, Hyun Bin barely managed to get a grasp of himself as he straightened up slightly in his seat. "Why do I need to go overseas, abeoji?"

"You remember VASTeam, correct?" His abeoji checked.

"Ne. That's our headquarters in Singapore." Hyun Bin nodded his head.

"They aren't doing well. The new CEO is coming in next month but even then, we need someone on the ground to train him." His abeoji explained as clearly as possible.

"And CEO Kang can't do it because..."

Hyun Bin knew exactly why but he refused to acknowledge that because it was the only way he knew to prolong the inevitable nomination.

"VASTeam functions differently, as you should be aware. CEO Kang wouldn't know where to begin. Normally, I would go but I am due for a business trip in Los Angeles during that time."

"Right. And what is this timeframe we're looking at?"

"6 months."

Hyun Bin's eyes widened by a fraction then as his mind whirled with a billion thoughts. 6 months?

So much can happen in 6 months.

In 6 months, he fell in love with the most amazing woman in the whole wide world.

In 6 months, their princess became part of their lives – even when he didn't know it yet.

But in 6 months, he also lost his angel to Tae Joo's grand scheme involving her twin and her eomeoni.

6 months is a long time...

And while he was certain that their lives would no longer be filled with such heart-breaking drama, Hyun Bin still couldn't bear to think of parting with his family for the 6 months.

They were his world. Why would any man willingly part with such warmth and love that he yearned for since he was a child?

There's his wife to think about. There are their children to think about too. Hyun Bin was no longer the man who could throw down everything at command to take on a project overseas.

"Abeoji, 6 months is too long. Jeong Eun and Eun Ae may be fine but Ki Rai is two. She's at the age where she needs both her parents to be there. And my wife? I can't imagine how tired she will be if she has to juggle work and our children alone." Hyun Bin shared his concerns.

His abeoji sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose in the process. He had expected this. And truly, he couldn't blame his son for feeling that way. This was why he was reluctant to ask his son in the first place. Yet, they didn't have much of a choice.

It was just wave after wave of bad news and the sooner they settle this, the sooner their lives could go back to normal.

Seated opposite him, Hyun Bin could tell that his father only came to him because he was the last option. From the grave lines on his abeoji's face to his heavy sighs, Hyun Bin knew. It had to be him, and they had to find a way to make this work.

"I'm sorry, adeul. It pains me to say this, but we don't have much of a choice. We could hire a nanny to help if it's too much for Ye Jin." His abeoji suggested.

Shaking his head, Hyun Bin shot down his father's suggestion. "Aniyo, Ye Jin and I agreed that we didn't want to rely on a nanny. We want to be there for our children."

Of course, he didn't mention his trust issues over having a stranger take care of their children 24/7. Ye Jin understood but he knew mentioning it around his parents would bring back old scars and haunting memories.

A nanny wasn't a tutor, but Hyun Bin could only trust a handful of people to take care of their precious children.

Another heavy sigh filled the room as father and son thought hard for a solution. Yet, no matter what, Hyun Bin knew that he had to go on this trip.

"When do I leave?" Hyun Bin asked almost fearfully.

"In a month."

A month...That wasn't nearly long enough for him to come to terms with this.

Taking a deep breath, Hyun Bin nodded even though his mind was still processing the turn of events.

The next word that he had to force out, drew a deep breath from him. The way he said it, it was as though someone was choking him as he begged for mercy.

"Arasseo."

It was a simple word. But that word also meant so much more. Just like that, their fates for the next 6 months were sealed for good.

He would have to have a long talk with everyone tonight and he was dreading it.

❀ ❀ ❀

Meanwhile...

The children remained none the wiser about the bomb that was going to drop on them that night. Currently, Eun Ae and Jeong Eun were on a field trip with the rest of their classmates.

Jeong Eun's class had been paired with Eun Ae's for their field trip to a nature trail. Surrounded by a myriad of flora and fauna, the siblings enjoyed the view together while holding hands.

Eun Ae was openly gaping at every bush and tree, pointing out the butterflies and critters to her brother. On the other hand, Jeong Eun could identify most of the species easily, having asked his mother about them back home.

From sunflowers to gardenias to orchids, Jeong Eun could list down facts about them easily whenever Eun Ae would point one out.

"Oppa, that's a sunflower right?" Eun Ae pointed at the flower on their left.

"Ne. Do you know they turn to face the sun?" Jeong Eun asked his sister.

"They do? Daebak! Oppa..." Eun Ae giggled, her lips twisting up into a cheeky smile.

Tilting his head to the side, Jeong Eun wondered what his sister was smiling about until she pointed at his head.

"I put a flower on you!"

Patting the top of his head, Jeong Eun's eyes widened dramatically when he finally found some baby breaths. An equally cheeky glint flashed across the little boy's eyes before he was chasing Eun Ae to the front of the line so that he could put it on her. The siblings' laughter filled the air even after their teacher told them to stop running.

Past their usual dramatics, Jeong Eun lapsed back into listing facts for his sister.

He was practically the walking encyclopedia for flowers and plants, and it would seem his discussion with his sister intrigued another special child.

Right behind them was an adorable girl in a blue bucket hat from Eun Ae's class. She had beautiful doe-like eyes and naturally pink lips. With her shoulder-length hair and a full yellow outfit paired with white shoes, Tae Rin was no doubt the flower of their kindergarten, and for good reason.

So intrigued by the conversation happening in front of her, Tae Rin had bumped right into Jeong Eun's shoulder when he suddenly stopped walking.

Thud!

The poor girl fell on her butt. The impact of her landing had Jeong Eun turning to study her with concern before he automatically held out his hand for Tae Rin.

"Are you okay?" The sweet boy asked, much to the flustered girl's embarrassment.

The boy holding out a hand to her was charming just like his appa and his naturally likeable disposition meant that he got along with most kids. Everyone at the kindergarten knew Jeong Eun just like they knew his sister, Eun Ae. If they weren't crushing on him, then they yearned to be his friend.

Tae Rin knew exactly who he was and felt embarrassed that she had bumped into him. Wordlessly, she took his hand, letting him pull her up from the dusty ground. To her surprise, Jeong Eun pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and used that to dust off the mud on her pants.

"Thank you." Tae Rin blushed.

"It's nothing. I'm Jeong Eun!" The boy introduced himself, holding out his hand for a handshake.

The girl took his hand hesitantly with a small smile. "I'm Tae Rin." She whispered shyly.

"Nice to meet you, Tae Rin. Be careful. The ground is uneven. It is easy to trip. Want to walk together?" Jeong Eun offered generously, already holding out his hand for her.

Meanwhile, his other hand was still holding tightly to Eun Ae's, since his sister was a walking disaster at times.

Jeong Eun's bright smile miraculously chased away some of Tae Rin's shyness, encouraging her to take his hand. Just like that, the siblings had a new walking buddy as they continued with the trail.

Gradually as they conversed, Tae Rin began to warm up to them. After some subtle coaxing from Jeong Eun, Tae Rin naturally joined right into their conversation, much to the boy's delight.

Was Jeong Eun perhaps slightly enamoured with his new walking buddy?

"I bet there are chipmunks." Eun Ae looked towards the trees.

"I wonder where they are." Jeong Eun smiled brightly as he peered up at the trees as well.

"How about rabbits? Are there rabbits?" Tae Rin wondered adorably.

"Rabbits? Do you like rabbits, Tae Rin?" Jeong Eun asked her curiously, fully turning his head to speak to their new friend.

"Ne. I have a pet bunny at home called Cinnamon." Tae Rin giggled.

"Ah that's a pretty name, did you name her yourself?" Jeong Eun kept the conversation going.

Anyone who was to listen in on their conversation would be able to tell that Jeong Eun was naturally a good conversationalist. Not once did he let Tae Rin feel left out and he was actively asking her questions, one that he himself was curious about.

Unfortunately, it was difficult for a trio to walk down an incredibly narrow path. While the rest of their classmates had already moved on to the next location, the three of them were right at the back, trying to navigate the rockier path.

"Be careful, okay?" Jeong Eun reminded them, ever the responsible and attentive boy.

The path was full of rocks and the young man held on tightly to Eun Ae and Tae Rin's hands to keep them from tripping.

It was all working well until Tae Rin tripped over a large root, pulling Jeong Eun down with her. Jeong Eun barely kept his balance and managed to stay standing as he glanced down at Tae Rin with full concern. Pulling Tae Rin up again, Jeong Eun attentively checked Tae Rin's hands and knees for any cuts.

This wouldn't do. They needed another plan.

Ever the bright boy as always, Jeong Eun turned to Tae Rin then, patting her arm gently as though he was silently assuring her that it would be alright. "Tae Rin, wait here for a minute."

"Okay." The little girl agreed easily, placing her full trust in Jeong Eun.

Gingerly, Jeong Eun led his sister down the path, pointing out the branches that she should look out for. Hand in hand, the siblings walked down the rocky path together, with Jeong Eun occasionally turning his head to make sure that Tae Rin was safe and sound.

Squatting down with a leaf in her hand, Tae Rin watched the siblings closely, silently wishing that Jeong Eun would come back to her soon.

"Tae Rin! Wait there, arasseo?" The sweet boy cupped his mouth as he shouted.

He was awfully concerned for Tae Rin.

And so, the siblings finished navigating the rest of the narrow path. Even then, Jeong Eun couldn't keep himself from turning back frantically to check on Tae Rin even though he could no longer see her past the bend.

"Wait here, Eun Ae. Okay?" Jeong Eun let his sister go once they were safe.

Before Eun Ae could even answer him, he was already running back hurriedly to get to Tae Rin.

The boy's plan was simple, but it also meant that he was incredibly busy, going back and forth between the two girls.

"Tae Rin!" Jeong Eun shouted, letting his tiny feet take him to her.

At the sound of his voice, Tae Rin smiled, and her smile only widened when he was by her side again. Hand in hand, Tae Rin and Jeong Eun have reunited once again.

"Be careful of the branches." Jeong Eun said the same thing to Tae Rin, except now, his tone was softer and more doting.

It was how Hyun Bin would speak to Ye Jin at home.

Carefully, Tae Rin and Jeong Eun watched where they were going, although silence was few and far between for them as they trudged on.

"Which princess is your favourite?" Jeong Eun asked curiously.

"Princess Aurora." Tae Rin answered easily.

"Then you must like yellow." Jeong Eun continued to watch Tae Rin's footsteps, pausing every now and then to help her past a particularly large root or rock.

"Yes, I like yellow." Tae Rin spoke, slightly distracted by her footing.

Minutes later, Jeong Eun got distracted by some yellow pansy flowers and he pulled Tae Rin to the small bush.

"Here it is." He picked one up, whereas Tae Rin was eyeing him with slight curiosity.

Squatted side by side, Jeong Eun reached for Tae Rin's hand, intent on making her a flower ring. Yellow was her favourite and a pretty girl like Tae Rin deserves a ring. His eomma always wore the ring his appa gave to her because she said it signified his undying wish for her to be happy and loved.

And Jeong Eun wanted that for Tae Rin too.

"Give me your hand." The young boy wasted no time in wrapping the stem of the flower around Tae Rin's small finger.

Sadly, the stem refused to cooperate, and the boy ended up placing the pansy in Tae Rin's hair.

Fidgeting with the extra stem he tore off, Jeong Eun was smiling down at it as Tae Rin peered at him with her doe-like eyes.

"Do you like me?" He asked, smiling from ear to ear in his shyness.

So nervous was he to hear her response, Jeong Eun accidentally tore the stem in half. Yet, his hands continued to fidget with it to calm his racing heart.

"I like you." Tae Rin smiled, swaying side by side in her squat.

"Jinjja?" Jeong Eun's face lit up and he finally looked her in the eye.

For a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old, the whole scene was akin to a confession between the leads of a Korean drama. It was so endearingly romantic to witness the blooming "love" between Jeong Eun and Tae Rin as the former's face glowed at her favourable response.

In a sense, Tae Rin and Jeong Eun had a better love life than most adults could say, and that spoke volumes about their upbringing.

"Then who's more handsome? Your appa or me?" Jeong Eun asked cheekily.

Thinking hard, Tae Rin smiled innocently at Jeong Eun. "Both."

"Pick only one."

Pause.

"You." Tae Rin pointed at Jeong Eun, her index finger touching Jeong Eun's arm.

"Me?" Jeong Eun confirmed, pointing at himself in astonishment.

A nod from Tae Rin had Jeong Eun ecstatic as he cupped Tae Rin's face with his hands lovingly. The two children giggled, basking in the pink bubbly atmosphere surrounding them.

"And who's the most amazing in the world?" Jeong Eun continued questioning Tae Rin.

With zero hesitation, Tae Rin answered with a goofy giggle. "You."

"Who's the cutest in the world?" It was Tae Rin's turn to ask.

"You." Jeong Eun smiled widely.

While Tae Rin was rubbing her eye, Jeong Eun had placed a gentle kiss on the back of her hand before they continued to bask in their bubble of bliss. Just like that, they were lost in their own laughter, conveniently forgetting that Eun Ae was waiting for them.

Speaking of Eun Ae...

"Where's Oppa?" Eun Ae pouted to herself, looking right at the spot where Jeong Eun disappeared to minutes before

Yet, it felt like it had been eons since he left her side.

Skipping back and forth, Eun Ae quickly grew tired and squatted down instead.

Pouting sadly, Eun Ae decided to go and find them instead, slightly worried that something might have gone astray.

Just then, she saw Jeong Eun and Tae Rin walking hand in hand towards her, coming straight from their mini detour.

"You're here." Eun Ae was relieved.

"Ne." Jeong Eun nodded while taking Eun Ae's hand.

"Why did you come back up?" Jeong Eun asked his sister.

"Because you didn't come." Eun Ae pouted.

Eyes wide with innocence, Jeong Eun couldn't help but clarify. "Because I didn't come?"

"Ne."

"Of course, I'll come. Why would I leave you?"

"I don't know...I thought you forgot about me." Eun Ae shrugged, trying not to make a big deal out of nothing.

However, she couldn't hide her sadness from Jeong Eun who could tell he hurt his sister's feelings. Judging by how awfully quiet she was, Jeong Eun was starting to feel sorry for keeping her waiting.

He hadn't meant to get distracted. He simply wasn't thinking too much. It was only when they joined the rest of their classmates again that Jeong Eun pulled Eun Ae to the side to apologise to her privately.

Kicking at the ground, Eun Ae was clearly still slightly upset with her brother, since she refused to meet his eye.

"I'm sorry, Eun Ae. I didn't mean to get distracted." Jeong Eun spoke sadly.

Narrowing her eyes dangerously at her brother, Eun Ae looked over at Tae Rin and noted down the pansy in her hair. Eun Ae put two and two together then and was momentarily distracted by her eureka moment.

"Omo, Oppa! Do you like Tae Rin?" Eun Ae spoke in a hushed tone.

"Ne." Jeong Eun nodded his head without missing a beat.

"No, as in like like." Eun Ae clarified.

Suddenly, Jeong Eun was at a loss for words as he blushed. Eun Ae didn't need a verbal confirmation from him to know that she was right. Puffing out her chest proudly, Eun Ae found her new mission. To be her brother's wingman.

Just like that, Eun Ae forgot all about the minor incident during their trip and began grilling her brother about Tae Rin. Even after they got home, Eun Ae wouldn't shut up about it, making Jeong Eun flustered all the way till dinner.

Dinner would be interesting indeed.

❀ ❀ ❀

That night

The ride back to the family house was odd, to say the least. Ye Jin had gotten into the car with a big smile plastered on her face because the meeting had gone well. Yet, the atmosphere was oddly heavy as her husband gave her rather short responses to her giddy ramblings.

Now, Hyun Bin wasn't necessarily someone who loved to talk, but he stopped giving her such short, curt responses ever since they grew closer together. The way he was speaking to her, she was sorely reminded of the time when he thought ill of her because of her twin.

Did something happen at work?

However, Ye Jin never did ask him because she sensed that it was a matter he would share once he was ready.

Instead, she settled for drawing soothing circles on the back of his free hand. Visibly, Hyun Bin relaxed. And she did too.

Yet that fleeting thought that all would be fine because he had her was quickly replaced with the sore reminder that he would soon have to part with her.

Feeling his heart clench from those bothersome thoughts, Hyun Bin ripped his hand away from Ye Jin's, placing it on the steering wheel. His knuckles were white with how hard he was clenching it but that was the least of his concerns now.

If Ye Jin was hurt, she didn't show it. She was more concerned if anything. She was certain then that something had happened at work and whatever it was had put her husband in a foul mood.

Sighing heavily, the couple were lost in their own thoughts for the rest of the ride.

They were back to square one again.

Indeed, dinner would be very different that night.

❀ ❀ ❀

Amidst the gentle scraping of metal cutleries against ceramic plates, the Hyun family were enjoying Mdm Ji Hyun's signature roast chicken together. The children were unaware of the tension Ye Jin and Hyun Bin were holding on their shoulders because they were trying their best to entertain their children's stories.

Neither of them wanted their children to know that something was amiss and chose to ignore their troubling thoughts for the time being – not an easy feat if they were being honest.

And if they were being honest now, neither of them could stomach much of the food with the biting worry in their hearts.

Hyun Bin was worried about how his family would react to the news.

Ye Jin was worried about him.

Either way, it was one nerve-wracking dinner for the couple.

"Eomma, appa! Jeong Eun Oppa has a crush on a girl." Eun Ae, their little blabbermouth decided to fill them in on what happened.

Jeong Eun kept quiet through it all, choosing to slurp his soup absentmindedly as Eun Ae went on and on about their trip. Occasionally, he would blush when he remembered what happened, squirming slightly in his seat whenever Tae Rin was brought up into the conversation.

"Omo, you like Tae Rin, sweetie?" Ye Jin's eyes widened as she studied their son.

"Ne, eomma." Jeong Eun answered shyly.

Now that caught the couple's attention. Somehow, it was easy to forget about their worries when their son was crushing hard on a girl. This was the first time Jeong Eun has mentioned liking a girl.

Besides, Eun Ae was surprisingly intuitive about relationships. If their princess said there was something, they better believe her.

"What do you like about her, little tyke?" Hyun Bin wondered.

Jeong Eun perked up at his appa's question, ever ready to sing praises about the girl that occupied his thoughts nearly every hour now. "She's pretty-no, she's cute! Very cute. Her hair is cute too."

"Oh, so she's cute. How do you think she feels?" Ye Jin pressed, encouraging him to share openly about his feelings.

"She likes him too! I can tell!" Eun Ae butt right into the conversation with her Cupid-like knowledge about love.

"It's true...she said so herself." Jeong Eun scratched the back of his head shyly.

Like father, like son.

Right from his mannerisms, Ye Jin was strongly reminded of Hyun Bin when he gifted her with chocolates for the very first time.

"Omo, that's wonderful, sweetie. You should invite her for a playdate one day. She's in Eun Ae's class, right?" Ye Jin raved.

"Ne. Can I really?" Jeong Eun's eyes lit up.

"Of course, little tyke. Treat her well, arasseo? Remember what I taught you?" Hyun Bin reminded him.

"Yes, appa. Be genuine and understand that actions speak louder than words." Jeong Eun recalled his father's teachings perfectly.

That was one of Hyun Bin's lessons on the art of being a gentleman. His abeoji taught them that way and now, he was doing the same even though Ye Jin had insisted that Jeong Eun was naturally a gentleman.

"Oppa!" Ki Rai cheered out of nowhere, waving her chubby fists in the air as she giggled happily.

Their littlest princess set them off on a round of laughter, successfully chasing away the remnants of tension in her parents' shoulders. Jeong Eun stood up to hug Ki Rai before they continued with the rest of their meal, a sweet sight to those watching.

After dinner, the family gathered in the common room for their usual family time together. Except tonight, Ye Jin told their children to play by themselves so that they could talk.

While the children played in their own corner, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin watched quietly, leaning against one another. For a minute, they simply sought solace from each other as Hyun Bin rubbed Ye Jin's shoulder comfortingly.

Wordlessly, he was feeling guilty over how harsh he was with her on their ride back.

Wordlessly, she was telling him she understood.

From how Ye Jin was patting his knee gently to how Hyun Bin would occasionally nuzzle his nose against her cheek, the couple was silently preparing themselves for the conversation ahead.

Perhaps Ye Jin was an optimist, but she firmly believed that whatever was on her husband's mind couldn't be that bad. Surely, they would be able to face it head-on together.

They have done it before, and she was confident they could do it again.

For that, she was certain.

"What's on your mind, love." Ye Jin broke their silence gently.

Shifting on the soft couch, Hyun Bin instinctively took her hand as he took a deep breath. Looking over at their children, a wistful look glazed over his eyes especially when Ki Rai gave Jeong Eun a kiss on the cheek.

Time and time again, Hyun Bin would open his mouth, only to close it again when he couldn't bring himself to say it. Again, he was trying to delay the inevitable because telling his wife would mean solidifying his unwilling commitment to this new project even if it was already well underway.

"It's okay, you can tell me. I can take it." Ye Jin's soft voice broke through his dreadful daze.

What did he do to deserve such an angel?

He was once a man doomed to a hellish existence, a parched man in a never-ending desert.

The arrival of his saving grace came in the most beautiful form ever, pulling him out of that hot furnace of pain.

Now, he must be the most blessed man to walk this earth, because he was married to an angel.

Ye Jin has always been especially patient and understanding of his feelings. She was slow to judge and quick to comfort, precisely why he couldn't help but fall head over heels for her even before.

So, when his angel asked him to share his burdens with her, who was he to say no?

Naturally, he found himself confiding in his wife, watching the myriad of emotions flash across her eyes as she processed the news silently.

Occasionally, the couple would pause to check on their children, for they were equally worried about how they would take the news.

By the time Hyun Bin finished filling her in on the situation, Ye Jin's lips were pursed contemplatively.

"You're going to come home for a week every three weeks." Ye Jin clarified.

"That's the best-case scenario, for now, love. I'm trying to push for two weeks but that might just mean we would have to deal with this arrangement for more than 6 months." Hyun Bin sighed hopelessly.

"Won't you feel tired, love? All that travelling surely won't be good for your health."

Eyes wide with disbelief, Hyun Bin was once again caught off guard by the way Ye Jin saw things. How was it her main concern was his health when he had wanted her to worry about herself?

Heck, he was worried she would be too stressed out while he was gone.

To be frank, Hyun Bin really shouldn't be surprised anymore but there was no doubt that his angel was full of surprises.

Pulling her close to him, Hyun Bin shook his head stubbornly. "Ani, seeing you and the children would be enough. I can't bear to part with all of you for months on end."

Biting her lips worriedly, Ye Jin tilted her head up to study her husband. "I'm just worried about your health, honey. But don't worry about us. You know I'll support you in everything you do."

"I know, but..." Hyun Bin sighed. "I don't want to go."

"Oh, honey. It's not the best but we'll be fine." Ye Jin assured him quietly.

If he was weak, she would be strong.

If she was weak, he would be strong.

In every way possible, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin functioned as a unit, through and through.

Patting his chest, a teasing smile found its way onto his angel's face as she giggled. "Besides, it could be worse. At least the time difference isn't crazy. That means we can video call you all the time without ruining our sleep schedules." She winked.

Just like that, his angel gave him hope that it would all work out. That burden in his chest was lifted instantly as he peered down at his wife with her smiley eyes.

They would be fine, right?

"We still have to tell them." Hyun Bin lifted his chin in their children's direction.

"Let's tell them now." Ye Jin nodded her head bravely.

Collectively, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin let out a deep sigh before she called their children over. Pulling Ki Rai onto his knee, Hyun Bin kept his arm around the child that he was most worried about. Meanwhile, Eun Ae and Jeong Eun were leaning on their parents' knees, waiting for them to speak.

"Appa has something to tell all of you." Ye Jin started, giving her husband's hand a squeeze.

"What is it, appa?" Jeong Eun wore a matching frown to Hyun Bin's.

Clearly, the sweet boy didn't like seeing the frown lines on his father's face.

Gently, Ye Jin ran her hands through their son's hair, silently telling him to give their father some time. Their little boy puffed out his cheeks slightly whereas Eun Ae was rocking back and forth. Little Ki Rai was simply in her own world as she tried to reach for her teddy bear in the far corner.

Finally, Hyun Bin cleared his throat, successfully getting all their attention. With one last glance at his wife, he shared the situation with their beloved children, praying that they would take it well.

"Appa has to go to Singapore for 6 months soon." Hyun Bin stated as calmly as he could.

"Singapore? Is that a country?" Eun Ae rambled curiously.

"Ne. It is." Hyun Bin confirmed.

"How far away is it, appa?" Jeong Eun asked.

"If we take a plane, it is approximately 7 hours away, little tyke." Hyun Bin answered while rubbing Ki Rai's back gently.

"Appa bye-bye?" Ki Rai waved innocently at her father.

"Yes, baby. But appa will be back." Ye Jin chipped in calmly.

"So, we won't see you for 6 months, appa?" Eun Ae's lips were now trembling as she peered up at her father.

"Ani, I'll still come back every month to spend time with all of you." Hyun Bin quickly tried to reassure his daughter.

Unfortunately, the waterworks came quickly as Eun Ae started bawling her eyes out. "Ottoke? Who's going to read me bedtime stories?"

Jeong Eun placed his arms around his sister then although his eyes were sad too as he looked at their father. As for Ki Rai, she was simply too young to grasp the idea of not being able to see her father or mother for a long period of time. After all, Hyun Bin has never once travelled overseas since she was born.

Pulling Eun Ae onto his other knee, Hyun Bin let his daughter snuggle into his side as she sobbed her little heart out. Ye Jin did the same for Jeong Eun, letting their son sit between them while they tried to calm their distraught princess.

Truly, no one's heart aches more than Hyun Bin's did because he simply didn't want to go. He wanted to be with his family, not thousands of miles away from home.

Whispering sweet nothings in his princess' ear, even Ki Rai was trying to calm her sister with her cute little grins and nods. Finally, Eun Ae calmed down minutes later, reduced to a sniffling mess as Ye Jin wiped her daughter's tears away.

"There there, sweetie. It's only for 6 months. We'll be fine. Let's give appa our support, arasseo?" Ye Jin coaxed her daughter gently.

"Mmm, appa, don't worry. I'll help eomma!" Jeong Eun volunteered generously.

"Me too!" Eun Ae quipped, smiling through her tears.

"Me!" Ki Rai raised her hand even though she truly didn't know what was happening.

And just like that the heaviness clinging to the air was lifted with the family's sweet show of support for Hyun Bin. Because of that, Hyun Bin could be brave.

To be brave in accepting the situation.

To be brave about parting with his family for those 6 months.

To be brave in being a husband and a father even through the long-distance.

They make him brave. No fear could hinder him now that love paved a way for him. And even now, the love of his family was crashing all over him, wave after wave.

He might no longer be the man who could throw down everything just for work. But with his family, he was now a man who could do everything while holding onto their love and support for him.

And that feeling was amazing and irreplaceable.

Maybe they were overthinking this. What could go wrong

...right?

❀ ❀ ❀

A/N
Hello lovelies! Hope this chapter was enjoyable! I've been having fun so far with this TAOF journey! I can't thank everyone enough for all the love I've been receiving too! ❤️ I do hope everyone is safe wherever they are and that this chapter made you smile!😇 See y'all in the next update!

P.S. school has been crazy so I've admittedly been drowning a little with all the projects. Sadly, I might only be able to update once a week from here🥺🥺🥺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 1.8K 34
It is more than 20 years since Yoon Seri crash landed on Ri Jeong-hyeok and they have had everything they ever dreamed of: love, marriage, family and...
39.5K 2.2K 35
Hyun bin is a really really rich guy Yejin is just a simple girl nothing special But one day their mother made them do an arrange marriage. Both of...
166K 9.1K 59
All Ye Jin wanted was to lead a simple life. Have an average job, an average family, an average life. But what happens when she gets caught in a sche...
144K 4.3K 33
a series of binjin's life together after cloy ! ~ light hearted, domesticated and fluffy chapters of binjin! *everything is purely out of imaginatio...