Love, Helena

By thebookrobin

Helena Wren had it all. What more could one want besides a successful tycoon of a husband, brilliant children... More

Introductory Note ✓
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8 -suite-
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Quick Update
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Special 1.0
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Special 2.0
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Cast Visuals ✓
Chapter 32 - The Climax
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Last Update (Amber Lynn)
Chapter 35 - Finale

Chapter 12

2.1K 84 11
By thebookrobin

"Did he make a fuss about you staying here?" Wren asked Alessandro. Her eyes wandered back to little Ophelia obediently sitting on the carpet, drawing in a sketchbook with supplies that Xavier had the foresight to provide her with. He was so kind to let his housekeeper prepare bedrooms for her and the kids, and stock on whatever he deemed they might need during their stay.

"I told you not to worry about it mom. I handled it." Alessandro sighed, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Of course I worry. Look at Ophelia, she's been so quiet. The poor baby didn't say a word since you got here." Wren gave him a questioning stare.

"Okay Gee..." Alessandro huffed resignedly, "He may or may not have had company when we went back." He gave her an apologetic look, "And he may or may not have thrown a tantrum knowing we'll be staying here."

Wren shook her head in disbelief, "And?"

"And... I may or may not have punched him in the face." He kept his eyes glued to the carpet, fists tightened.

"You did what?" Wren gasped in shock. "Ales!"

"Mom, don't give me the whole 'he's your father and you should respect him' speech, okay? We're past that now. I can't respect a blatantly ignorant cheat who thinks he's entitled to everything. I made peace with my father being a complete douche bag and waste of time and energy. Now, can we please move on with our lives?" Alessandro pinched the bridge of his nose.

Wren slumped back defeatedly, worrying at her lip as she watched her son with frustration bubbling under her still feverish skin. Alessandro looked at her and his eyes softened. He leant in and kissed her forehead. "It's okay mom, please don't worry about us. We're so much stronger than you think, and we're happier to see you move on and stop letting him walk all over you. You taught us everything we know, and raised us into who we are single handedly, so please give yourself enough credit and move on, so that we could too."

She nodded, letting her head fall back onto the comfortable stacked pillows behind her. She took Alessandro's hand in hers. "The lawyers would be here first thing tomorrow morning. Are you sure you're okay with this?"

"This is your choice. This is your life so stop asking for anyone's approval. And yes I can assure you that all of us are more than okay with this." Ales said.

"I know but I just," Wren glanced at Philly, "Do you think she will grow to understand this?"

Ales kissed her hand and smiled, "If you think Philly might lack anything growing up, then you're wrong. She's got the most incredible mother in the world, and she's got brothers and a sister who would do anything for her. Plus, do you think Xavier will ever leave your side?"

Wren smiled finally and nodded. "I guess so..."

Alessandro knew there was still something weighting on her, even as Xavier stepped inside and sat on the armchair beside the bed, she was gazing absently ahead. Ales asked, "Are you worried about his reaction?"

Wren dismissed her son's worries, "Not at all, and even if he does, it'll just be a waste of his time... I'm more worried about custody. I can't let him take Ophelia from me."

Xavier sat up straighter, trying to contain his anger, "He will do no such thing. He might want to think twice before pressing for that. I'll make sure of it myself."

Helena turned to Xavier with a small smile. She trusted him, but there was still a nagging voice that wouldn't be silenced unless this entire case is over with and set in stone. "Hopefully Xav, hopefully..."

Alessandro stared between his mother and Xavier and smiled inwardly. He couldn't refrain from thinking how happy his mom would be with a man like him. Someone patient, and caring and responsible. When Ales had lost his dad -because he truly considers it a loss- Xavier was there for him. He filled in for the parent that was gone. He'd been there with him on every one of his achievements, helped him with homework, gave him advice, taught him to deal with people, took him on trips to camp and fish, taught him to drive, and many other things that a father should be doing with his children. In that sense, Xavier had been more of a father to him and Amber, but even more so to Lennon, and now Ophelia... No matter what he does in life, Alessandro would never be able to repay him for half of his kindness.

"Philly, why don't you go wash your hands and head downstairs? Dinner is ready." Xavier told her and Ophelia obediently put down her paper and crayons and got to her feet taking Alessandro's hand.

Ales ruffled her hair focusing on getting her to talk and smile again so as not to worry his mom. He turned to her and Xavier, "What about you?"

"Wren's dinner will be brought up in a minute. I'll make sure she eats properly. You guys must be hungry so don't wait for me." Xavier reassured.

"You don't need to babysit me. I swear I'm going to behave." Wren laughed as they were left alone, "You have to eat though. You've been running on nothing all day."

"I'm all good, Helen." He waved her worries away. "As long as you are getting better."

"Not good enough," Wren shook her head, "You came running to the clinic from the company, and I'm guessing you'll work so late into the night. Did you even have anything all day?"

"Excuse me, Sir." A knock at the door interrupted them as a young girl that couldn't be older than Amber stepped inside with a trailer of food. She deposited it beside the bed.

"What's your name?" Wren asked the girl, who blushed and answered shyly, "Jessica, Madam."

"Jessica, nice to meet you." Wren smiled at her, "I hope you wouldn't mind bringing some dinner for Xavier as well?"

"Y-yes of course madam." Jessica stuttered and excused herself.

Xavier was looking at Wren wistfully. She caught his gaze and blushed slightly, "Was that alright?"

She didn't really think twice about the fact that she was taking liberties in in his own housen ordering around his own staff- she didn't want him to think she was like that because she definitely was not. The fact that he was staring at her like that was very unnerving too.

His smile widened and he held her hand to his lips, making her blush ever more. "My home is yours, Helen."

Jessica came back after awhile with another tray of food and settled in on the nightstand before she set up the in bed table and took her leave shortly.

At the sight of grilled mozzarella sticks on her tray, Wren broke into a giggle so unlike herself, but she could not help it. Xavier was going lengths to make her feel like a silly school girl all over again, and it was absolutely working. "How do you know that these are my weakness?"

"I have a vivid memory of a younger blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl jumping from excitement in the hotel lobby restaurant because they had grilled mozzarella." He teased.

"Gosh, you remember that?" Wren blushed as she nibbled on it, recalling times from that last trip that seemed so long ago. She hadn't known Xavier but she obliviously was the centre of his attention.

"I remember everything that has to do with you, Helen." He replied, "I know that it's also your go-to comfort food, and that you always make it for the kids when they aren't feeling well."

Wren smiled distantly, "It's my grandmother's recipe. She used to make it for mom, and mom made it for me... I wanted to carry on the tradition."

He nodded and watched her bittersweet distant expression. "Your family... I saw them only briefly that summer. What happened?"

Wren heaved in a long breath and sighed, looking up at Xavier with teary eyes. It was a hard topic for her to bring up, and she didn't particularly get to indulge in talking about it to anyone since no one had an idea about her family, or had ever tried to ask. "That summer after the Ibiza trip, my grandpa had fallen sick. He was admitted to the hospital, and they called the house in the middle of the night to tell them that he'd had a heart attack and would most likely not survive the night. My parents and grandma were naturally terrified but they didn't want to take me along, so they left me at home with the housekeeper. They drove to the hospital to see my grandpa but they never made it."

Xavier held her hand tighter in his and she nodded reassuringly at him, despite the tears in her eyes. "They got into a drunk accident with a truck driver. Nobody survived."

Wren dried her tears with her hand and sniffled, "My grandpa passed away the next day too."

"My God... I'm so sorry, Helena Wren. I never knew." Xavier reached out to catch one of her tears and wipe it away.

She shook her head, "It's alright. I guess I made my peace with it over time, or I try to anyways. It's just that... sometimes it's hard to think how my entire family had been taken away from me just like that, in the span of one night. It's why my family is sacred to me now, Xav."

"I'm sorry..." Xavier nodded in understanding but he truly didn't know what else to do or say. He had known that her parents passed away, that she had no close family or relatives, but he ,ever knew the details.

"Anyway, I had nobody left. My godmother, my mom's best friend, offered to take me in her home, at least until I became an adult. That's how I ended up moving cities and starting school with you guys. Then my relationship with Zach and pregnancy happened, and here we are now."

Xavier smiled sadly. His Helena was very strong and yet she never gave herself enough credit for it.

"What about you? I know I met your dad and sister before, but you don't particularly talk about them much." Wren asked.

Xavier hadn't particularly been forthcoming with details about his family either. He'd debriefed her on it lightly, just because he didn't like to dwell on the past. He was a man of the present, always focusing on moving forward. "My mother abandoned me in the front steps of my dad's door once I was born and fled."

Her brows drew together immediately in a frown, both disbelief and irritation etched into her face. Xavier smiled and smoothed his thumb over her forehead. "She was one of my father's one-timers before he settled down and got married. I try not to think what would've happened if she stuck around. Dad didn't abandon me though, luckily. He raised me, and as much as his wife was probably displeased by it, she still took care of me. I have two sisters, Maria is married and lives in Japan with her husband. Charlotte, you've met before. She's off travelling the world. I guess she picked up some of my habits." Xavier chuckled and Wren smiled at how fondly he spoke of his sisters.

"Dad and their mom are divorced now. I haven't heard from them in awhile, but they must be relishing in the luxuries of their retirement plans. I took over the companies naturally."

"It's good you have a great relationship with all of them, though." Wren commented. "Not to mention, you're doing a great job at running your business."

"That reminds me," Xavier trailed off, "How are you a shareholder at Bradford Industries?"

Wren was taken by surprise. "I suppose I am. How did you know?"

"I was going over some older investment contracts and realized you are."

She nodded, "When Zach took over along with Robert after their father's retirement, the company wasn't doing quite well. Zach convinced me to invest in the business since I wasn't particularly taking over my family company anyway, and well, I figure I am on the shareholders board, except he's been controlling all of it in my stead so I never really know what's going on business-wise."

"That ingrate... Wren, everybody thinks he bought you shares and put you on the board! I didn't even know your family was in the business game. All these years he'd been congratulated on being a great husband as though you were some charity case... the audacity of him." Xavier said with scorn. He contemplated for awhile, "But... this does mean you have a say, and to my understanding, a big influence on the business?"

"I bought thirty-five percent of the shares, and being Mrs. Bradford I have an additional ten percent, so yes technically I have the upper hand, but I've never been involved or interested enough, you know that, Xav." Wren sighed, still not knowing where he was going with this conversation.

"You know you could vote him off if you want to Helena, right?" He never knew she had so much power over Zach, and she doesn't even realize it.

"Well?" Wren was surprised to hear that, but she didn't know how to respond. She's always been more interested in the practical and creative sides of the business rather than the political one.

"You know my company invests in Bradford Industries every year? And it's not a little sum either." He told her, seeming to turn over some plan inside his head. She knew that business scheming face way too well.

"And?" Wren urged him to continue.

Xavier looked at her like he just won the lottery. "Meaning, Helena Wren, that you have Zach literally in your palm. You'll have no trouble whatsoever getting your divorce and full custody, while ensuring your children's rightful positions in that company. You have full power and control here. It's just a matter of you taking it."

Wren stared baffled at him. She had never really thought about, or considered any of these facts before. She always let Zach take the ropes of business and whatnot. He never included her nor consulted her in any of the decision making- and for good reason, she realized. She'd been playing right into his trophy house wife plans without a clue to what she can and cannot do. He always threw jabs of how all the work and business and money making fell on him while she carried none of that burden living in luxury. He was indeed acting as though she was a charity case, but now with the full knowledge that Xavier imparted. She felt furious for being such a pushover... a naive little obediant housewife. She had control all these years, even when she felt helpless and cast aside and wallowed in self-pity. "I'm an idiot."

Xavier shook his head and took her hands in his, "No, no you are not. If this proves anything at all, it's your sincerity and trust and loyalty. He should be ashamed of himself, of taking advantage of you all along."

She heaved in a deep breath, "Would you help me, Xavier? I want to fix this. I want to take back control of my life and everything he took from me."

"You don't even need to ask, Wren." Xavier smiled at her. "I promise you he'll pay for it all."

"Please..." she said, holding his hand tightly, "Just don't do anything reckless or troublesome. Don't get in trouble. He's not worth it."

"I'm careful, Helena." He dismissed her worry, "I won't let him take anything from you again- No, you will, actually. Because you have all the power here, but I'll be by your side every step of the way."

"Thank you." She said smiling at him gratefully. "Thank you... I don't know what I would do without you."

Xavier drew her in a hug, "Don't thank me for this, or for anything at all. You don't need to."

He got to his feet and put the empty plates of food back on the trolley.

"Don't stay up too late." She told him sternly. "Don't get carried away with work. You need to rest too."

These were new feelings for Xavier, new additions to his routine. He'd lived for so long on his own, that he never had someone around to worry about his meals or sleep schedule. As he watched Wren's serious face, he smiled. He could get used to this.

"Alright, you have my word." He assured her, "Goodnight, Helen."

"Goodnight, Xavier." She mumbled as she felt sleep settle on her heavy eyelids.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Shattered By Noel

General Fiction

294K 7.2K 42
⚠️THIS STORY IS OLD. IT ISN'T VERY GOOD. THE OTHER BOOK IS BETTER⚠️ Adeline was a good kid. She worked hard, took care of herself, and didn't let any...
13.7K 396 58
3 lives interconnected together. One side has a childhood crush, while the other two are madly in love. When a turn of events takes place hearts are...
630 105 46
Attention: Reading this book may cause late-night giggles, butterflies in your tummy, and tears that leave your skin looking radiant for the day. **...
9K 582 31
Previously known as ' Seeking Truth.' 195/344k In Mystery #17 In Feel #27 In Feel What does a person desire? Money to warm up their pockets? A mans...